BigBlueButton Logo

BigBlueButton

Open source web conferencing system for online learning

BigBlueButton Reviews

User ratings

4.1

• Likelihood to recommend7.86/10

See full reviews by rating

Cons

They came from a flash player into HTML5 with excellent sound, video and great presentational features (provided you have a stable internet connection).

Sven H.

We have most of the features that are an musthave for online learnings. It has the best price-performance ratio and is Open Source so you can customize it like you want.

Ivan D.

The recordings changed the orientation of my slide images making all the notes I took on them useless and confusing.

EG

Emily G.

It's just sad that most people don't know about it or are afraid to use it.

LM

Adobe Connect

BrainCert-logocaret

BrainCert

Compare both
How would you rate BigBlueButton?

Best Online Education Platform

It's a simple and effective educational application that I like.

Pros

Easy to use and nice interface. It is designed with eye-catching colors and the widgets are nicely positioned. An app with all the necessary features.

Cons

Unknown software. There may be problems with notifications.

Very solid choice

We are a nonprofit, and these folks make life easier. They are great to work with and very responsive. Not a common experience with previous vendors we've used.

Pros

We've been very happy with this product. The Moodle integration is critical for us, and it is solid. It will soon be packaged with Moodle itself, which should only serve to make it even better in the future. The interface is simple enough for anyone to familiarize with it and it checks off the majority of our boxes.

Cons

I think slide navigation could be better. And currently, hyperlinks don't work on slides. These are things that used to be features on their old client versions before rewriting to remove Flash. So I'm hopeful they'll return at some point.

good software ... but!

overall bbb is good software to manage video conference if develop process continue as it is maybe in 3 years we will have golden product

Pros

bbb is very easy to set , implement and lunch and has very simple view help anyone to manage it , beside it is large community and devloping proccess

Cons

i think the position of developing cycle is wrong i mean bbb need more develop for customer and end user who is not technical i mean for all our teacher how hard it was to manage and customize and that is first; second bbb has weak error view system for example sometimes internet connection is too bad for sharing and bbb loading for ever it will be greate to show error msg "hi your connection is bad" that so simple but i think end user ( no technical user ) is not calculated here.

The best software for remote study

it gave me a very good experience in implementing platforms on my own servers and organizing meetings in a few steps, the role system is very well thought out it is a great platform

Pros

A complete integration to be able to carry out online classes with an excellent quality of video and sound, a software in constant development that allows integrations with other online education platforms

Cons

The installation must be done by a person who knows what he is doing, or you can also purchase this service from third parties and thus save all these installation steps.

Lack of software for online language teaching

When working in a university Language Center, due to the confinement, the teachers had to quickly search for different platforms to continue teaching online. Big BlueButton was not an option at first, perhaps because it was not the most publicized nor the one with the easiest access and performance in teaching languages online. By implementing a new version of moodle in the Language Center where I work, BBB was chosen for its reliability and security, and for being a free platform.

Pros

Apparently, it is a reliable method to implement it within the moodle platform with which we work, without compromising the information contained within the company for which I work. It is free and allows you to implement it within the moodle platform with which we are working.

Cons

Despite having the same characteristics as other videoconferencing platforms for online classes (audio and video, group chat, screen sharing ...) there are several aspects that can be improved to facilitate language teaching by videoconference: - Reduced screen space available to see the students, since the shared notes and the list of the students present (to the right of the presentation space and...

This review was translated from Spanish. Read original review

A free Conferencing system with a lot of features!

It was very easy to install. I had a great conference everytime I used Bigbluebutton. Just when I had clients using mac. I needed to consider another software having multiple os supporting feature.

Pros

I love how stable the video and audio quality is! And a lot of features and functionality it provides like hand raising, file sharing, whiteboard, polls, presentation tools, presentation streaming, screensharing, recording and more. And all of these are so stable and smooth working. I am really very satisfied with Bigbluebutton.

Cons

There are some cons but they're so less comparing to the pros. It's only available in Linux and Windows. Mobile and mac users can't use it. Community support lacks a bit.

My review of Big Blue Button

It has been quite positive. I have used it regularly during lockdown when it was impossible to teach face to face at school.

Pros

The ease with which I can handle a Synchronous Virtual Classroom meeting: Uploading Files, Sharing my screen and all the other functionalities enable me to carry out this aspect of Distance Teaching without problems.

Cons

Unless I am mistaken, I cannot upload more than one file. If I upload toe, the first one gets erased.

Big Blue Button

My overall experience has been very positive. The integration into Canvas was smooth and the tools are familiar, thus not requiring extensive training or extra cost.

Pros

This software is easier to integrate into our LMS for online learners. The analytics and feedback tools are easy to use and provide valuable information for course improvement. The technology also feels familiar. The open-source feature makes it available to anyone.

Cons

There are no drawbacks to that I can report. Big Blue Button is cost-effective and easy to use---even for individuals new to online learning.

Decent virtual classroom

Not my go-to option

Pros

Built well for an LMS. A great tool in the pandemic.

Cons

Turning on mics and videos can be a hassle, you often have to leave the call if you didn't turn them on the first time. Accessing recordings can be a pain. Breakout rooms can sometimes be tricky to set up

An alternative to zoom or teams

it's operative and works fine.... but not perfect

Pros

it's easy to use, but it still need to improve, speccialy recording and how to find older records.

Cons

you can access with laptop, phone, or whatever but keep in mind that you could need to re enter to the chat room sometimes because of luck of sound.

Simple Webconferencing software, but lacking in big name features

Overall works well, but would prefer other competitors such as Zoom or Google Meets.

Pros

This software is integrated with Canvas LMS by Instructure, making it easy for schools already using the Canvas LMS to adopt. It has a robust security system to prevent "zoombombing" as only registered people in each course can access the conference they have been invited to with a unique user token. Certain features such as breakout rooms, shared whiteboard and embedded video player would rival other video conferencing software such as Google Meets, and it most definitely has most if not all classroom needs for most schools around the world. The Learning curve is low, and it runs smoothly most of the time. Private chat works very well, and is intuitive to use.

Cons

The design is a bit outdated, and looks a slightly boring. "Hot" features right now such as virtual backgrounds and full screen tile view is not up to par with competitors, and there are small annoyances such as keyboard shortcuts not working on MACs and the need to do an "echo test" every time I enter a new conference which takes several seconds off my precious time. Additionally, the ability to record...

Free Virtual classroom and Video conferencing

We have integrated BBB with state school LMS of our region. When only the presenter sharing his video this is running very smoothly. Need more resources to open everyone's video. However this product has amazing features specially for virtual classrooms. For me this is very much better than Flagship products.

Pros

+Installation is easy +Clarity of video and audio is very high +Presentations can be uploaded and can present online instead of sharing presenter's screen. +Customizable +Can be integrated with major LMS like Moodle, Jenzabar etc

Cons

+ Resource hungry when multiple users using camera/video + Not all OS/platforms are supported. + Lack of community support.

Very satisfied with BigBlueButton

I'm going to recommend everyone I know BigBlueButton because it was really easy to use and I had only a good experience with it.

Pros

I really liked the simple way of registration, options in the virtual classroom, breakout rooms that is not that common to have in other software (they were really useful). Whiteboard is the option that is often used in other software but this one didn't have any interruptions and everything during the class was in real-time.

Cons

Customer support was really hard to get, but I think this is due to the situation in the world that everyone is going on online courses.

A user Friendly Platform for Live Classes

Pros

BigBlueButton is easy to use platform. From setting up the schedules, screen sharing, and creating break-out sessions, we can do these in a simple and straightforward way. As an instructor, we are also given many authorities in managing students accesses during live classes. BBB also provides many facilities to maintain or strengthen student's engagement such as polling, multi-user whiteboarding, live chatting, and emojis.

Cons

BigBlueButton is integrated with my university's LMS. Actually, I like BBB as it is simple to use and it offers us many useful features for live classes. However, as more and more lecturers in my university are using this platform, the system is often down impacting the BBB's performance. Also sometimes my camera was locked incidentally: I could see my videos alive from my side, but my students couldn't. In such cases, we have to find other alternatives for live teachings.

Great for Online Tutoring

Pros

I started using this product when my volunteer tutoring went from in-person to online. It's very interactive so that both the student and tutor can be typing information. You can also upload worksheets to fill in or write on. It also includes other common features like video, shared screen and a whiteboard.

Cons

Some of the features are a bit clunky. You can type on the screen but you need to create a text box first. Depending on how much text you have and the size of the box, you may not be able to see all of the text. It also makes it hard to continue to add text after you close the box. There's also been technical difficulties where one user can't see what they are typing. There's no flashy things like emoji reactions or noise canceling features.

Reliable meeting and online teaching tool

My overall experience was with bigbluebutton is good only faced issue in greenlight. I would like to have its Android version also. Currently we can use in browser(mozilla or chrome)

Pros

Bigbluebutton is powerful and robust server application which have all sort of features required for online teaching, meeting and collaboration. The step by step guide is yet easy to deploy this application. The presenter, viewer part, integration of audio bridge, screen sharing, file presentation, polls etc are nice features.

Cons

Overall customization of different parts is not so easy and there is very limited resources available for helping in this. Something like greenlight installation is not easy and support on web is almost nowhere about this. The application required higher bandwidth for video audio/ video and screen sharing streams which makes it hefty on resources side. Audio does sometime hiccups usually when multiple people taking at once.

All schools and universities should be using it!

Pros

This is the prove that open source software can be better than paid software. It's the one tool for education. You have shared board, real-time survey and more.

Cons

The servers are a bit expensive if you want to run it 24/7. The shared board could have option to just let one student write on it. Also, the teacher should have the option to mute the alumni.

Bigbluebutton knows what an educator needs.

I have tried using all the different types of platforms (e.g. Zoom, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams), nothing compares to the ease of use with BigBlueButton. It's just sad that most people don't know about it or are afraid to use it.

Pros

You can see comments, presentation, and the people at the same time. Further, there are polls and break-out rooms. It could even be accessed in both iOS and Android mobile phones and devices.

Cons

Break-out room is limited to 10 groups only.

It Worked

It worked well. Teachers were able to get everybody in a session, they could share documents or videos or songs, and they could record sessions. It worked well for us.

Pros

We used this software to have class meetings. I think one of the best features of BigBlueButton was the screen share feature. Teachers could bring documents up seamlessly while talking about a subject. Distance didn't really get in the way, and some cohorts were students from different countries.

Cons

I don't think there was a lot that people didn't like. A pro/con of the software was that it was only accessible through Canvas which were we using. So you could only use it if you were in our Canvas program. But that was good for students and teachers because their video conferencing software was right at their fingertips.

Videoconferencing made easy

When I am presenting something to a group of newcomers and I want to stress or emphasize a particular item, BigBlueButton makes it easy.

Pros

My favorite feature of BigBlueButton is the whiteboard feature because I can highlight things I want to emphasize.

Cons

BigBlueButton has a horrible tendency to freeze up and distort video, and sometimes audio, at the most inopportune times. This has cause me to move BBB from my main to my back up conferencing software, only being used when I need one of the features that only it provides.

Ease of Use. Perfect for Virtual Learning

Pros

I love the functionality of the program and being able to have multiple instructors at once. I appreciate the share screen option and also being able to use webcams and microphones interchangeably.

Cons

I really have no complaints with the program.

Big blue button is not the best

I would say My overall experience with big blue button this poor. like I mentioned, we have to use it daily because there is no other option with my son's distance learning but I would choose another product in a heartbeat if it were an option..

Pros

I don't really have any pros to say about bigbluebutton. We use it because we don't have another option with my son's distance learning. I would definitely prefer zoom or another video conferencing app.

Cons

We use bigbluebutton because we don't have another option with my son's distance learning. I would definitely prefer zoom or another video conferencing app. Bigbluebutton proves to be inconsistent with whether it's going to work. It is very glitchy with both the audio and video. Makes distance learning extremely hard.

Makes videoconferencing easy

Facilitates online video meetings.

Pros

I find BigBlueButton very useful for videoconferencing and and webinars. It is easy to setup and launch and the interface is quite friendly. It has all the features I need for a online video meeting.

Cons

No con really, as it does its job well. The only I drawback I can mention is that it operates in a space where there are a lot of tools of the same nature.

The slft provided video conference

It was all nice until we deployed a solution for million of people. The recording started to fail and some times the conferences got wrong. We needed to imprive the insfrastructur and even that we still having some issues randomly.

Pros

Its open source, and you modify whatever you want on it There is tutorials about how to setup it Can record video conferences Can host several conferences Several tools on the interface Can hanfle groups

Cons

Hard to deploy even that there is a lot of tutorial it can be messy to setup. Needs a high capacity server to handle several conferences. Not much customizable with out having issues with the setup. Recording of comnferences sometimes fails randomly. Cant handle high traffic very well

Good video conferencing platform

Good experience from Moodle

Pros

Be able to use with a large number of students

Cons

The interface is boring it should be more beautiful

This review was translated from Spanish. Read original review