Givebutter Logo
Givebutter

Fundraising tools for groups, teams, companies & nonprofits

visit website

Givebutter Reviews

4.8

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.19/10

Reviews by rating

It is everything we were looking for, and it doesn't cost us an arm and a leg. It integrates onto our Wordpress website wonderfully, and our donors love it too.
We really like the API with Double the donation for matching gifts. The most helpful thing about GiveButter is the ease of implementation.
The website is clean, modern, and beautiful looking. We love the ease at which people can sign up and donate on Givebutter.
For us it's very, set it and forget it. It's there when we push the link out to our base and in the background when we don't.
Sometimes it was hard to coordinate when there are multiple fundraiser pages for one campaign.
We would instead prefer to have a flat platform fee, but realize this probably means they would make less money. Also, the integration with our CRM was limited in terms of what data migrated where.

CC

Cristiana C.

Associate Director

Performing Arts, 1-10 employees

Givebutter was a gamechanger

Transcript

Christiana C.: Hi, my name is Christiana. I am the associate director for Jon Lehrer Dance Company. We...

Blake P.

Operations Manager

Givebutter: The Gift That Keeps on Giving

Transcript

Blake: Hey, my name is Blake and I'm an operations manager. For Givebutter, I'm going to give it a five...

Evelyn F.

Civic & Social Organization, self-employed

Great Fundraising Giving Tool!

Pros

Recently started using the Givebutter platform. Found it pretty simple to learn. Customer service is very helpful on things that I got stuck on. I like that a donor can give in just about any form (even checks) possible and we can collect as much or as little information as we'd like. And I like the team effort.

Cons

Have to say that although I understand it takes money to make these platforms affordable for all to use, I don't like having that passed on to the donor. I do like however that we have the option to pay the fees or at least lessen them, although I certainly wish there were no fees at all.

Thanks so much for buttering us up! We're glad that Givebutter is easy for you to use.

HA

Hebrew A.

Accounting, self-employed

Software is easy to use. Reporting function is weak.

Pros

The simplicity of the software to use and the ease of donating

Cons

The reporting is really difficult and weak. I can't customize reports as well as I could our previous software. I would also like to be able to report spouses with gifts.

Thanks for buttering us up! We're always working to improve Givebutter and feedback from changemakers like you is the most important part of that process. Keep making the world a butter place!

ES

Eric S.

Painless Processing

Pros

I love the fact that all of the processing happens off site and I don't have to maintain a code base associated with cc processing. This helps us as a nonprofit use our time and energy on other more critical needs.

Cons

My only complaint has to do with upgrades on the system. I had everything on my site configured and set up fully, then GB made changes to how widgets were embedded and my site had all sorts of conflicts and css issues. I would love to have more notices about upcoming changes and increased confidence that the new deployments do not impact existing deployments.

Thanks for sharing this, Eric. We'll work toward longer lead times and smoother transitions with upgrades in the future!

CC

Caitlin C.

The Best Platform for Non-Profit Fundraising

10/10 and we've already recommended it to many colleagues!

Pros

We love Givebutter and can't say enough good things. From the ease of setup, to campaign and donor management - everything is one place and streamlines any and all fundraising needs.

Cons

The only thing we'd love to see changed is adding more photos to campaigns. This is a big need in our space: animal welfare, to keep our donors updated with images along the way.

Thanks for buttering us up! We love hearing that you're enjoying using our platform. While you can only add one cover photo on Page and Event campaigns, if you wanted to add more, we'd recommend uploading as many as you like to the Story section, or adding some campaign updates in your Supporter Feed! We appreciate you being a part of the Givebutter fam.

MT

MariPat T.

Rivals Paid Versions

Pros

GiveButter closely rivals the paid versions of donor management systems with ease of set up and usability.

Cons

The Engage function still have limitations that are frustrating for donor communications.

Thanks for your kind review! We're so glad you're a part of the Givebutter fam.

MG

Marcia G.

Absolutely Love Givebutter, Lifesaver

Again, I love Givebutter. I learned about it at one non-profit and recommended it for a second non profit.

Pros

That is a free platform or that I can turn on some services for a small platform fee. I like that each campaign can be customized. It is easy to set up and navigate around and that there are so many features: text to give, multiple campaigns, donate when you purchase a ticket, talk on the platform.

Cons

When someone is checking out, the screen is a little confusing for some with the donation and the tip portion. I think it should be broken up with some headers/banners

Thanks for your kind review! We're delighted to be your fundraising partner.

MB

Mark B.

Fund-Raising, 1-10 employees

Givebutter gives better

Very good experience and will recommend and use again.

Pros

Givebutter was a great auction platform that was very easy to use, they were very helpful when setting up and finalizing everything was all done by Givebutter. Will be using them very often moving forward.

Cons

There were no many negatives, but if there was it was not user friendly for the folks that were not familiar with Smart Phones. There was also a bit of frustration getting set-up with the payment system through Stripe.

Thanks for buttering us up! We're happy to hear that you're finding Givebutter easy to use.

AH

Amy H.

Performing Arts, 1-10 employees

Excellent Choice for All Changemakers

Pros

Staff: Incredible, responsive, energizing, and proactive Webinars: Engaging and informative Platform: Intuitive and visually appealing Product Roadmap: Clear and easy to contribute to Email: Canva integration and call to action buttons Cost: Free!!! Access: Open to all changemakers regardless of tax exempt status

Cons

Analytics: Could use additional graphs and reporting options Tagging: Folks have to be tagged individually or in an upload

Thank you so much for this feedback! Keep making the world a butter place.

AP

Anita P.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Everything is better with butter!

Very helpful salesperson explained all the features; I'm waiting to sign up for some additional training to test out the peer to peer functionality.

Pros

What I liked most was the sales and customer support AND that I was able to get it up and running w/o incurring any cost.

Cons

That I cannot import that transaction history easily into our CRM.

Thank you for these kind words! Keep making the world a butter place.

DS

Dana S.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

A Non-Profit Need

Pros

Givebutter is user friendly, effective, and a necessary tool for non-profits! Highly recommend!

Cons

I honestly do not have any complaints at this time. I had an issue with a campaign ending early but once I contacted customer support, we were good to go!

Thanks for your kind review! We're delighted to be your fundraising partner.

MM

Michael M.

Great is Getting Better Every Month

Givebutter has been a great switch for us! It is everything we were looking for, and it doesn't cost us an arm and a leg. It integrates onto our Wordpress website wonderfully, and our donors love it too! We just did a $75,000 fundraiser through them, and it was a great experience.

Pros

I love Givebutter, and I love that they are constantly adding new features each month based on current users' experience and suggestions. This platform has everything we were looking for: auctions, peer-to-peer fundraising, event tickets, and so much more!

Cons

With it being a newer platform, they are still adding features, so things that we used in our old platform is not hear. Like the ability to set up custom filters. We'd like to be able to find donors who have lapsed in giving and their last date of donation.

Oh my gosh, Michael! That's fantastic news that you've raised $75,000 with us at Givebutter. We are working on some filter updates. I'll drop a link here that explains more. We do have LYBUNT and SYBUNT built in; it sounds like that would be useful for you. https://help.givebutter.com/en/articles/5489011-how-to-filter-contacts-and-save-segments

Libraries, 11-50 employees

Used other for 1-2 years

GiveButter makes fundraising for non-profits easy and user-friendly

The group I am a part of doesn't have a lot of tech-savvy members. being able to use an intuitive platform like GiveButter makes it feasible and easy for us to fundraise at all types of events. QR codes, campaign URLs, and text-do-donate have all changed who we can reach and how.

Pros

GiveButter campaigns are so easy to set up; they let you duplicate a previous campaign and amend as necessary. It's intuitive and you can always view what your campaign looks like at any step of the way.

Cons

Some of the user interface seems busy and it's not always clear which areas of the page I should be giving attention to. But I do always figure it out in the end, and by looking at everything I find out more about GiveButter's functionality.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write us a review! We love hearing that your entire team finds Givebutter intuitive to use. Our team is always here to guide you when you're unsure what to do next, and we love to collect feedback about the Givebutter interface. Chat with us anytime!

JK

Jordan K.

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Great for nonprofits, awesome website integration options

I enjoy using it every time we have a new fundraiser in the works. I like it a lot better than the DonorBox campaigns I’ve helped to build in the past.

Pros

I like the aesthetic. It allows me to insert the look & feel of our nonprofit into our fundraising pages. I can use video, photos, .gifs, etc. that match the motifs we use with no trouble.I also like the capacity for interaction between our team & our donors, right there on the page!

Cons

I don’t like the limitations on photo size for quality, but uploading big files onto a web platform isn’t always ideal. I’d like to be able to change more aesthetic features, like the page background, & maybe have the option reposition where things land on the page (text boxes, photo/video, etc.)

Wow, this is great feedback! Thanks for being part of the Givebutter fam!

DW

D. Wendy S.

Nonprofit Organization Management, self-employed

Givebutter is Best

I am very satisfied with everything about Givebutter.

Pros

Givebutter is straightforward in its presentation and I felt confident in my choice to use them. I'm not the most technically savy person yet I was able to navigate the site and implement the features easier than expected. When I needed support they were very helpful and efficient as well as kind. I liked being able to compose email blasts and set them to deliver at a specified date/time. I participated in a webcast that was very informative yet a bit daunting for me personally. The leaders were very motivated to give all of us the best guidance and they were very sincere in that.

Cons

As a new user I jumped right into the "fray" to begin fundraising and I know I am missing some key advantage features of Givebutter. I really cannot say anything I liked least and I look forward to exploring more ways to use this service more efficiently for my nonprofit.

Thank you so much for buttering us up! We're so happy to hear that you've had a great experience so far, and appreciate your shoutout to our excellent team. We're delighted to be your fundraising partner!

RM

Rachel M.

Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

Best for small/start up Nonprofit

I switched to give butter after frustration with other non-profit organizations for giving.

Pros

The option for donor to pay the small processing fee.

Cons

I have a hard time organizing reports in small sections.

Thank you so much for buttering us up! We're so glad to hear that you're enjoying using Givebutter.

AA

Angelica A.

Great Customer Service!

Being able to continue our fundraising efforts in a virtual format during the pandemic has been incredible. It has opened our eyes to the benefits of this channel of fundraising and we will likely continue implementing it into our annual fundraising efforts.

Pros

We absolutely loved the donor wall, as did those donating to our cause. We did a follow-up survey after our first campaign hosted by GiveButter and this was voted as the favorite feature of our campaign by our constituents.

Cons

There is an ease of use about this software which makes it easy to build onto. Some features that could be improved upon would be the ability to align photos and text (content) better, to be able to track site visitors, and being able to order/remove information at the top of the page prior to seeing the story. That said, Givebutter is great about accepting recommendations and has made many upgrades simply by user suggestion, which is an awesome customer service attribute!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review, Angelica! We're glad to have provided what you needed to pivot to virtual fundraising. We look forward to supporting you for years to come (post-pandemic!)

AT

Alma T.

Individual & Family Services, 11-50 employees

A good alternative to fundraising platforms

Pros

Recently switched over to Givebutter and found the integration very easy and quick. Setting up new pages was a breeze. Customer service is amazing, they respond within minutes through the live chat and are very helpful.

Cons

There are some features missing that can be implemented in the future, such as better newsletter/email creation options. Building a newsletter on another platform like Network for Good was so much easier. In our work, we use a campaign that runs indefinitely and may sometimes have events. Found out that creating an event with the same every-day campaign and selling online tickets means that you cannot delete an event from the campaign. You'll have to duplicate the campaign and that can make donation tracking a bit harder.

Thanks for these great suggestions! We'd love to have your upvote on those feature requests. Feel free to add your vote here: https://community.givebutter.com/raise/p/multi-date-events

BL

Bethany L.

Civic & Social Organization, self-employed

Excellent product for small non-profits without extensive resources, great service!

Overall, we are very pleased with our choice to use Givebutter! The database portion has been very helpful, and our users have commented on how easy it is to give via credit card, EFT, etc. They also love being able to leave messages during checkout as part of the public updates. There are few limitations in overall capabilities still, but for a FREE CRM, we really couldn't ask for more. The service is incredible as well - thank you, Givebutter!

Pros

We LOVE having a truly FREE database and online payment processing system for our Foundation, which was just started this year and doesn't have a lot of assets to invest in overhead. The service has been exceptional, and even our hopes for additional capabilities have been met with attention to our needs and hope for future implementation. We are really pleased with the "whole package" that Givebutter offers for our fundraising and contact tracking needs.

Cons

There are a few capabilities we'd like to see added, such as the ability to record and track pledges in our fundraising totals. Additionally, the Engage email platform is still pretty limited in formatting -- cannot "center justify" text or images as one minor example that makes a difference in aesthetics. We also have to use another platform to accept stock transfers, DAF gifts, and other non-traditional gifts. Would LOVE to see Givebutter venture into these gifts types in the future as well, so it's truly a one-stop shop for 501(c)(3)s and their fundraising.

Wow, thank you so much for buttering us up and shouting out our team! While DAF is a supported payment method via our partner Chariot, your suggestions of in-kind donations and stock transfers are sure to appeal to other organizations as well. Thank you for your feedback, and keep making the world a butter place!

CJ

Chase J.

Easy & Inexpesive.

great. the employees and support is exceptional.

Pros

This is a game changer for non profits on allowing to "tip" the service received with give butter, versus paying a fee every year. No cap on donors in the database.

Cons

Sometimes hard to use, especially with campaigns.

Thanks for being part of the Givebutter fam!

AT

Ali T.

Love it!

We have had a wonderful experience with Givebutter. It has had everything we have needed in a platform (and many bonus tools for us!), save us staff time, we have seen increases in donors covering their own credit card fees, and we have had helpful chat conversations with the support team through the chat feature when we have questions/needed a bit of extra assistance. Overall, its easy to use and one can learn to navigate it fairly quickly!

Pros

Givebutter was a gamechanger for our small nonprofit. It has increased our staff efficiency. We have seen an increase in donors willing to cover their own credit card fees which is like adding an extra donation to their gift! I really appreciated the support and helpfulness of the Support Team through the chat feature when I needed a bit of extra assistance when we were initially learning to use the platform. Overall it was a smooth and easy to navigate transition. We have felt like this platform has been a value-add to our nonprofit and our fundraisers!

Cons

I was hoping to have a feature that would allow us to add custom fields to to tickets. However, I reached out to the support team and they were very helpful! Needed features/tool improvements can be added to a list and users can vote on the ideas; I find it helpful to have the sharing tool of ideas and a way that I can upvote/request features. Gives me hope the platform will just keep on improving!

Thanks for buttering us up, Ali! We are planning to add custom fields for tickets by the end of June, 2023. Your feedback (and that of so many others) was definitely heard! We're always working to improve Givebutter and feedback from changemakers like you is the most important part of that process.

Susie L.

Arts and Crafts, 11-50 employees

First foray into online giving platform--so easy to use!

We are delighted that donors can cover the cost of fees if they decide too (and we can opt to ask them to or not). I am finding it super easy to use and if I have a question, I can get an answer pretty quickly!

Pros

GiveButter is straightforward and easy to use! It's also flexible in that you can start out using it for fee (aside from fees). I like that we can set up easily new campaigns and track donations to them. The customer support is great and very responsive (even without the premium account). It has allowed our organization to try out text to give without investing in a contract and we have been using it for our regular donations as well because it's so easy and we can ask donors to cover the fees if they want (and most of them do!).

Cons

Where you make changes to your campaign/settings-- isn't super intuitive to me (I hunt around on where to find what I need to tweak). If the payout history could get provide detailed reports that would help out accounting (it's in the works, I believe?)

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review, Susie! We do have more payout data for accounting purposes in the works! We'll be sure you're subscribed to updates in our feature request portal. We look forward to supporting you for years to come!

RJ

Rhea J.

A Great Switch

We have been very pleased with Givebutter and their openness to update/upgrade their platform based on feature requests of the non-profit users.

Pros

The user interface with Givebutter is much better than the previous online donation form we were using. We like that it is a step-by-step click through opposed to a long form to fill out. Having the ability to run an online donation and an event page in the same system is helpful to our team to not have to learn two different types of platforms.

Cons

Givebutter promotes itself to be free to the non-profit, and the donor pays the platform fees. We would like to be able to choose to pay a monthly price to pay some of the platform fees on our own (as we know it is part of doing business) instead of passing them on to the donor every time.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review, Rhea! We love reading that donors are finding your new donation form easier and more enjoyable to use. We appreciate you letting us know your preferences about platform fees, too. We can certainly take this into consideration!

DA

David A.

Public Policy, 1-10 employees

Great People + Good Platform

Pros

The customer service is pretty response and is always kind. Givebutter has one of the lowest fees in the industries and is easy to get setup for new non-profits.

Cons

The backend is very slow compared to other similar donation processing platforms. Uploads take forever, frequently error out, and it can be frustrating for the end user. Also - none of the withdrawals are automatic. You have to go in and manually withdraw money from each unique form you setup.

Thanks for sharing this, David! We're glad you're part of the Givebutter family. We do have automatic withdrawals available for verified non-profits. I'll drop some more info below. I'm sorry to hear your upload process has been frustrating. I'll pass that feedback along to our engineering team for future improvement! https://help.givebutter.com/en/articles/3955087-how-to-enable-and-manage-automated-payouts

MR

Molly R.

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Challenging software for auction event

I was so optimistic, but it fell very short in overall use during and after the event.

Pros

The best part was the lack of cost. It was free.

Cons

There's a ton of room for improvement for using this as an auction platform. Bidders and items need to be able to be sorted on the dashboard. Registering guests was cumbersome - they had to enter their info at least twice. Listing items was okay, but the display sheets that GB generates don't include photos, so I had to edit EVERY SINGLE DISPLAY SHEET to make it visually appealing/include a photo. Time consuming.

Thanks so much for this feedback, Molly! We're always working to improve Givebutter and feedback from changemakers like you is the most important part of that process. We recently added a search feature on the auction items, which should make things much easier going forward. Feel free to upvote the request for images on the auction QR codes - every vote helps our engineers decide which improvement to implement next! https://community.givebutter.com/raise/p/add-image-on-the-auction-qr-code-items-downloaded

ER

Eamon R.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Makes Donor & Event Management Easy

Our prime reason for trying Givebutter was for it's CRM capability. We need the ability to send emails to individual and not just the people in a campaign. We liked what we saw and decided to give Givebutter a more extensive trial. We used it for a big annual event and it worked beautifully and made the administration of the event so much easier. We want to keep using it... but the inability to easily send emails to one person. Means we are looking around for another solution.

Pros

What attracted us to Givebutter was the possibility of not having to pay for it. We're an all volunteer organization run on member fees and having to pay a monthly fee for a platform to manage our donors was causing us some concern. Givebutter's solution works perfect for us. The next best thing about Givebutter is how intuitive it is to setup, manage and track the variety of events we put on. Super easy for use and our donors.

Cons

Biggest issue for us is the current inability to send an email to a specific individual. Currently to do that we need a complicated system of tagging to allow us to do that. To complicated and time consuming to really make it a viable workaround. Because that feature is critical for us, we feel great reluctance in having to search for a platform that does what Givebutter does AND allows the targeted emailing of an individual.

Thanks for buttering us up! We're glad to hear that you've found Givebutter intuitive and easy to use. We do have an active feature request for sending an Engage message out to select recipients – if you like, you can add an upvote here: https://community.givebutter.com/engage/p/send-emails-to-select-recipients