I joined AL FANAR Electricals Co. KSA -in 2003, it has been decided to replace ERP system with NAV, Tec.Support was provided by AL FANAR IT an affiliate company who became golden partnership with Microsoft later and provided the system if Gulf Market, the implementation was very successful, early versions of NAV in 2003 was famous as (Navision Attain) at that time, the system provided a splendid AR, AP, and inventory reports and controls, was helpful in regional trading credit controls and manufacturing process, in 2006 the company upgraded the software to NAV5 and we learned a lot about setup requirements, Posting groups, general business posting groups, sales and system generated transactions setup accounts and matrix, Exr. Var and global dimensions etc..., in 2007 I joined Gulf Capital KSA the company management recommended NAV at that time tec. support provided by (NEWWAY) and I was assigned as a project manager, later in 2009 I joined ROTANA Media Group who recommended same ERP as well.
now new versions of NAV are available with business intelligence tools and some additional great features, I expect this fast positive evolvement of MS Dynamics will make them first Market Choice in a short time.
I used several softwares before and after NAV like (Dolphin, Oracle, Klipper, and others..) from my experience what I like most in NAV and make it remarkable are the following :
- SQL Server which provides flexible opened platform allow users to move to any information details and jump between templates they want from anywhere in the system to get information rather than closing screens and reopening another, other systems cannot provide this Dynamic feature.
- Reasonable and Logical controls of the system over transactions complying with exact financial requirements, other systems have nonsense controls in useless areas and gaps in other critical areas, and stand hopeless needing customization for an axiomatic small things.
- Easy and Smart setup requirements and users profiles access.
- Huge bank of ready reports provided by global MSD teams and partnership
- Friendly user = easy training
- Easy setup of financial reporting BS, Income statements , cash flow , Budgeting and variances any other because it leaves to user to choose , items lines name , tagging accounts, dimensions needed cost centers or business units , even user can add the equations of some financial statements lines !
- Easy customization and easy editing of all tables screens
- High Compatibility with Excel MS Office.
- Reasonable cost with complete business solutions package and including project management, Human resources, Cash Management etc..
No Disadvantages or defaults in my opinion if implementation requirements are clear and correct and finance knows exactly controls, processes outputs they need. everything is there in this system.