Assembla

Project management tool for software development teams

visit website

Assembla Reviews

MS

Michal S.

As an engineer I am satisfied with Assembla reporting capabilities and task tracing. It is helpful to revert/find certain activities for reference.

MS

Michal S.

The product is easy to use, the most important feature that I use everyday is the the Tickets and Wiki sections. The cardwall view is excellent.

IG

Iris G.

Cons

I don't like that there is no emergency line as it should be in Kanban theory. I can't customise priorities.

AK

Andrzej K.

Why are these different. I only use Assembla when I have to and it's always painful.

KM

Keith M.

Right click and open in a new tab is awful because the tab takes over the window so to open multiple I need to right click, open in new tab, switch back to the previous tab, rinse and repeat.

PH

Paul H.

4.2

Great Project Management tool for Software Development

Very positive on Assembla. We have used Assembla for 5+ years. The new enhancements are great. Really appreciate how Assembla listens to their clients feedback and takes action(s) on their recommendations.

Pros

We like Assembla for it's collaboration amongst our team members spread all over the world. It provides real time metrics for our developers. We have had several other firms attempt to lure us away from Assembla.

Cons

The development team likes the ability to set up quick Sprints, allocate team members to specific tasks, and have all documents contained in one centralized system.

Strive to be best toolset for development organization

It is ok for smaller teams. It is affordable. Not much of online documentation, but most parts are intuitive.

Pros

It is a cloud based solution and can be accessed from anywhere. Support for protocols like git. It has embedded document management workflow.

Cons

Lack of support for document search. Lack of support for wide adoption among developers. No easy way of project management, bug tracking etc. At the least the versions that we used in the past. No management reports. It serves the basic purpose of source code management with git. No clear support for command line tools and scripting for ci/cd pipelines.

The Best SVN Repo Out There

Great service (backing up software on the Cloud is a must-have) for the money.

Pros

SVN is arguably the most popular Version Control system out there; and, with tools like VisualSVN and Tortoise (all integrate into Windows and Visual Studio perfectly), it makes perfect sense to use this tool. Highly recommended.

Cons

There was one or two features that were not well-documented and easy to use; but, with the great support Online, they were easily mastered.

Slow and inconvenient

It has been not as good, the tool is slow and more like an old management tool. Also, the customer service is not very good. We had to report all manager for a whole week the same problem to get a follow up for the problem. For a whole week, all of our teams couldn't see the missing info on tickets, it was a waste of our time and resources.

Pros

The Kaban and list view are convenient. Being able to add options to tickets are also good for management, and the prioritization set is good too. The way the tickets keep track of the dates and hours of every change in the ticket is really good. And the relationships you can build between tickets is good too.

Cons

A don't like many things about this software, the main thing is that Is too hard to plan long-term using it. Also is hard to have access to quantitative reports. To keep all my information accurate and easy to access I use Airtable to organize the information I have on Assembla. Because Assembla is too slow and too hard to get reports from it. Everyone at my office does the same thing of using another tool to interpret and organize the info we have on Assembla. I think a Gantt view would help and a view more likely to excel in which you could add and edit tickets faster. It would be great if you could build features for the admins to build their own statistics and reports. And features to automate some actions on tickets.

Used to be great, then they got greedy

I used to be a passionate fan. But they turned greedy and evil, so now I am left with nothing but bitterness.

Pros

Assembla is the best project management system I've ever used (and I've used quite a few). Everything integrates so nicely: svn, tickets, wiki, etc. Easy to use and provides everything I need, without getting in my way or wasting my time.

Cons

They got greedy a couple years ago and raised their rates to exorbitant levels. I have been forced to look elsewhere for my PM needs.

Assembla for SVN only

Other than the ridiculous cost its been extremely reliable for the past 7 years we have used it. We've had a couple short outages but they were very brief and got quick attention from their support.

Pros

Reliable SVN Server, pretty fast, easy to manage

Cons

We just use the SVN features, it's ridiculously expensive per person for SVN,.

When GitHub issues just don't work

Overall our experience with Assembla has been positive and it is indispensable to our workflow. While it would be possible to replace it with another product, it would not be without the pain of changing how we work to accommodate the tool.

Pros

Ticketing is critical to our process for managing software project. Assembla has a great list view that allow us to have custom fields for each project. This allows us to create views into projects that sort and filter tickets by criteria meaningful to our stakeholders. Additionally tickets have good support for relationships and some hierarchy. This is in contrast to GitHub or GitLab issues, which offer limited support for sorting and filtering and require a tedious management of tags for everything not provided by default (which isn't much) A project with any serious complexity should consider using Assembla for ticket management.

Cons

The wiki syntax for tickets is non-standard and clunky. Developers use Markdown for every other tool that requires them to write prose. The lack of support for Markdown seems like a fairly large oversight. This becomes especially egregious when developers refuse to learn yet another syntax and just paste markdown into tickets despite the lack of support. Who can blame them. A more minor point is that...

Great collaboration tool

Good.

Pros

It's very easy to create repositories and start to work with your colleagues.

Cons

I had no difficulties. I met assembla in 2012 and have recommended it to others. Collaborative work has made it much easier for me. I only have one problem but it isn't specifically related to Assembla, but with Tortoise Subversion. On files that weight around or more than 25 mb or for a large set of assets, it's very common to fail (more than 90% of times). I have to upload separetely all the files...

A one Hub solution that could work a bit faster

It's a solution that has it all but I would welcome an overhaul of UI and backend optimization for speed. It feels like there's a lot of ancient code in there.

Pros

It's a one-hub solution. Everything I need is within reach. Task management and planning in the card-wall of tickets are indispensable.

Cons

Slow: Opening a page or a ticket can sometimes take seconds of looking at a blank page. When used in meeting this is really annoying. Clutter: It lacks options to clean-up. Since I work with it for 10 years I have 150 projects in my view and no way to hide old projects. New projects appear at the bottom of that list, so scrolling galore! Yes, I could go to the project-owner and ask him to archive, but you know how that goes in large companies and I don't have rights to archive so I'm stuck with over 10 years of old projects. GIT: It could use some more optimizations, specially Merge-request handling / canceling, retaining comments etc.

honest opinion

Even with its flaws it's a good option over git and svn, it has a nice webapp to help you keep track of the project and source files.

Pros

It seems very secure, and I love the fact that you can see which files others have checked out, that's huge thing when working with a big team.

Cons

It's super slow when you need to revert files or when you added 2k files to a submit queue and you decide not to move forward with the submit. That will take a lot of time and it's really annoying. One last thing is that is a pain in the ass for new users especially for artists to setup perforce, perforce should have automated tools to setup your workspace, like a wizard to ask you about the basics. Having to open the command to type manual commands is not intuitive.

Kanban driven but needs improvements

Pros

Kanban board is one of the most advanced features from the market, it's quite clear and nicely designed. Sometimes drag n drop were rigged but lately i think it got fixed. Github integration should be in price not in higher tier as it's quite used. Wiki pages could be extendend.

Cons

I don't like that there is no emergency line as it should be in Kanban theory. I can't customise priorities Whole board view is horizontal driven i can't do a tree structure and see it from top down. Which is difficult if we need to monitor and organize more then 1 milestone or topics on one board. I can't have a view with 3-4 boards on its , we have 3 or 4 boards per project in a team, and as a team...

Pricey but excellent and fantastic support

As the end customer, creating work tickets tracking bugs, features in conjunction with my remote development team. They really have streamlined the interface and implemented features that users such as myself require. There are many features of this product that we don't even use (resource tracking, burn downs, Standups) so maybe I shouldn't complain about the price. :)

Pros

- Ease of creating tickets, by pasting in/ uploading documents quickly. - Custom fields which can be searched on, filtered by - this is fantastic in itself as this is a difficult to implement properly, and it works perfectly. - Comment tracking to other team members, and ability to mark read, or even restore them. - Custom views (saved queries) saved for yourself - fantastic - Cardwall gives great overview - Export to CSV if required - Ability to open tickets either into new browser tab (full URL) or open up as modal dialog - both methods are required depending on scenario.

Cons

Probably the price - for our team of 8 our monthly cost is around $US280 - so it's a chunk of money.

Great product, biting prices

Overall experience would have been great, if the company did not keep increasing their prices and changing billing models. In a span of four years my cost increased 500%. The current billing model charges you per user... never mind that the user can exist in multiple teams. Essentially, Assembla can collect fees for the same user from multiple companies. Not all the companies talk to each other, but some do... great business model, for Assembla. Not so great for the end user.

Pros

Ticket management tied it to repositories, easier to use than GitHub system

Cons

Navigation menu that tended to throw links to all the Git repositories on the same level as main menu item. A dropdown with a mega menu for the repositories would have been greatly appreciated. The team did try -there's a mega menu for spill over items and ability to move things around, but it's not enough and implies more work where none should be required.

Assembla

Pros

For people who work with computer on a daily basis (not programmers) it is good tool to report work and tasks progress. It has nice integration with Slack communicator. There are also other tricks and integrations that IT people can benefit from.

Cons

People who work less on a office-based routine it is harder to report and follow tasks in Assembla (non programmers). While exporting pdfs and attached images are too big files, output file is not clear. It is tricky or impossible to create subspace/subtickets for part-time subcontractors without giving them access to all other tickets in the space/company. You need to spend some time on reporting directly in Assembla (15min minimum) - cos of having things properly reported.

Managing & Controlling the Code is So Easy with Assembla

It's one of the application which we use for our work has no downtime. Any query raised, is answered in kind of no time.

Pros

Easy to use. Application has very intuitive interface. Fast Speed Reasonable Price Awesome Support

Cons

1. Though, the User Interface is interactive, but, if some change reports are introduced, should be helpful.

Good value and reliable service

Overall, we like the service as the pros far outweigh the few cons.

Pros

You get all the necessary core features (task tracking, source control) in a very reliable service (downtime negligible in >5 years) for a good price.

Cons

Main issue is that their support is lacking. In particular, there is no good way to report an issue other than email, which then isn't being tracked and you'll never even know if they are working on it. One issue that's been annoying us every day: their web pages constantly show an error on bottom right saying "We got disconnected. We'll try to reconnect, or you may reload page". They have yet to fix this after many years despite us complaining about it. Would be much happier if they just suppressed/disabled this message since it's completely useless.

Great Project Management Tool Unfortunately Super-Seeded

Tracked and version controlled website releases. Easy oversight of website epics, stories and tasks.

Pros

Reliability, I've used Assembla for more than 10 years and I do not recall any significant downtime, sure there were some issues but they were typically resolved within an hour. It does work as a method by which to manage your software development, a repository (SVN or GIT) is built into the solution.

Cons

It's expensive for what it is, it isn't that versatile (for example, you can't modify the status's to customise your status or workflow) and the pricing recently once the ownership changed hands. Depending on your user count, Bitbucket and JIRA may compare more favourably. The application really hasn't continued to evolve that much since I first signed up 10 years ago.

Assembla Review

Pros

It has deep integration of source control system with their project management tool so you can track commits using the same view/page that you use for tracking ticket comments.

Cons

Assembla was acquired by some other company and the first thing they did is to raise the price. In short time, from one of the cheapest products, they become one of the most expensive products. And that change was very fast and ugly; I remember that we needed to add just one additional member to the team and they said to us that we are on legacy plan, and that we need to move to their standard plan, and pay something like 5-10X more for the same service. Instead of paying more, we moved to Jira :-)

Rally

Pretty good.

Pros

Performance is great. ---------------------------

Cons

Web Navigation could have some tips and tricks.

Assembla brings us closer together!

The team at Yard Freaks have had a great experience with using Assembla as a project management tool. We are able to view and keep track of our current and past projects. Share our process and keep in communication with each other. Plus having the wiki section and being able to download them as a PDF is a nice touch.

Pros

The team can easily view their trackable tickets. The card wall is a nice drag and drops feature that makes it quick and easy to stay organized.

Cons

Having a desktop notification pop-up when you receive a new ticket/updated ticket would be an awesome feature to have.

Hi Erik, Thank you for your review! We're glad Assembla was able to help you with your team. We'd love to send you a shirt! Email support@assembla.com with your address and size and we'll send one over. Thanks again! The Assembla Team

Useful Tool but can be fustrating

keeping track of tickets when we have a number of teams with some floating individuals.

Pros

It works well to keep track to issues as well as our code

Cons

It is clunky. Slow to load in paces, would like to be able to keep one ticket open if I need to work on a second ticket at the same time, the filters do not always work. It is not intuitive, have to go hunting for features

Overall Awesome Product

We use Assembla for all our source control needs for multiple projects The markdown syntax for the WIKI is super useful Love the File storage interface Overall this its a well thought of product with good support and really good up time.

Pros

Good SVN Support for Source Code Clean Interface WIKI File Storage Up Time

Cons

Not faced any recently, so NONE!

Hi Aaron, Thank you for your review! We're glad Assembla was able to help you with your team. We'd love to send you a shirt! Email support@assembla.com with your address and size and we'll send one over. Thanks again! The Assembla Team

Worst Customer Service

Pros

The softwar has been good for years . Though no major updates :)

Cons

Your customer service is really really pathetic. I understand you guys are trying to put in some system in place. But people just keep "circling back" with more like automated messages. They literally use that phraseand just keep circling back. They dont really give proper solutions. We have paid and still we get emails asking if it is paid . Seriously pathetic

Assembla

Pros

Task management is our favorite feature. Some users utilize Cardwall and other project tracking tools. But primarily task assignment and tracking.

Cons

We always need better ways to document processes. The Wiki provided does not sufficiently serve that purpose. Perhaps it is the limited formatting for complex heirarchical work. Not sure. Other team members use Confluence and claim it to work better for documentation.

Nice and smooth running product

Pros

It is important for us to track cardwall on each milestone that we aim. In that regard, viewing/drag&drop on the cardwall is the most used part in this product.

Cons

I miss the ticket templates in this product as I prefer to have the option to create a ticket template and don't have to write the same stuff over and over again. Our colleague sent a request I assume 2 years ago but still that feature is not there to use.