FunctionFox Reviews

FunctionFox

Timesheets & Project Management Software

4.46/5 (132 reviews)

Pros
  • This product allows you to modify anything to make it more like your own personal workflow, my sales rep was awesome. She was so through and patient with me, when teaching me the system.Tiffani H.Read the full review
  • Function Fox is a great program for helping you track hours and tasks. Also, the customer service team is very responsive and very helping in answering any questions I have had over the years.Kathy B.Read the full review
  • FunctionFox has a great ability to slice and dice information on timed tasks once they are captured. I also have really enjoyed the email reminders on days when you don't log time.Edwin G.Read the full review
Cons
  • We really had bad experiences with project management software that tried to do everything and connect to everything. All that does is make adopting it difficult because their are too many features.Brian W.Read the full review
  • As far as I'm concerned the current schedule process in time fox is a waste of time. I also dislike that when I change tabs in one job I have to refind it again when the page changes.Jillian C.Read the full review
  • The quotes and invoices cannot be customized within the software, so you just have to export into a pdf and make edits. The software has limited functionality.Sheila S.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Travis Brown

Great Software to keep track of hours and projects

Reviewed 2017-11-17

Pros
We have used this program for a few years now and have found it very easy to track progress on projects, log hours, and make sure that our office is running as efficiently as possible. This has been a great investment for us!

Cons
It took some time to get familiar with how to use the software. Adding gantt charts for project planning would be great, but overall this program fits our needs quite well.

Claude Benoit

Feedback regarding Function Fox

Reviewed 2020-01-27

I have been very impressed with the FunctionFox staff and their project management software from the very beginning of the process. The sales rep. was very knowledgeable and explained the features and benefits very clearly. The samples and tutorials were great and made the learning process kinda fun. FunctionFox's support team are exceptional at responding to our questions and reply promptly with detailed user friendly instruction on how to take full advantage of the powerful tools and functionality. Deciding to use FunctionFox in our face paced graphic design company was a great decision. It helps us spend more time on being creative and less time retyping project names, task names, design rates etc.

Pros
The software is designed with the creative industry in mind. You can set up project names, common tasks with specific hourly rates. When it comes time invoice a project I no longer have to request time sheets from staff. I just log in to the software, select the project name within the appropriate dates and all of the information that I need is presented quickly and efficiently which makes invoicing easy.

Cons
I can honestly say that I cannot find anything wrong with this software.

Taylor Hays

Antiquated Time Keeping Software

Reviewed 2018-01-09
Review Source: Software Advice

For the time being, FunctionFox serves the purpose of keeping our team's time but when we have time we will most likely migrate to a new system. There are so many better options at this price point with more features and benefits.

Pros
We have used this product for over 5 years and it is really easy for employees to understand how to input their time. Their customer service staff is helpful when you ask for something directly.

Cons
Setting up backend organization of clients and projects is a bit confusing and difficult. There aren't very many integrations for communication with other softwares and if there are, it is difficult to get them set up. Updates and added features have to be added to your account from a FunctionFox rep.

Likelihood to recommend: 3/10

PHILIP BROOKS

Design Resource Tool

Reviewed 2020-01-27

Outstanding product!

Pros
I started using this product about 15 years ago. It is a great tool for tracking projects, time, sales dollars vs. time spent per account and many other measurables. It is the best tool I have found that allows Design and sales management to objectively measure the return on design resources spent. The data collected has been immensely helpful to management, and this is the 4th organization that I have introduced to the tool!

Cons
None! Very easy to implement and use, for graphics and structure.

Ann Smith

Using FunctionFox in a small college marketing department

Reviewed 2020-02-03

Pros
I love how much functionality and detail I get with FunctionFox. It has enabled workflow and increased our productivity and brand consistency so we can prioritize the most strategic, outcome-oriented projects. I love that campus users all go to a single link to request work. I cannot imagine going back to an email-based request process or a lower functioning project management system.

Cons
The learning curve was high and hard for some. The dashboard is not as intuitive in some places as we would like.

Carter Foster

Professional Time Tracking in a Straight-Forward App

Reviewed 2019-04-25

FunctionFox is a great tool for tracking time. It allows you to have several users tracking time under projects and tasks, so you can see how your team is using their time. From an agency standpoint, it allowed us to accurately account for our time with clients and realistically price our services. It had integration limitations and was not as flexible as we needed it to be, but for many, it is likely the right tool.

Pros
FunctionFox allows you to set up different account and projects within those accounts to help separate your time into tasks and items of your own choosing. For a marketing agency, this type of tool is essential. Function Fox offers a pretty easy to use system with several features to help make your time tracking experience easier and more accurate.

Cons
We ultimately moved away from FunctionFox because it was not able to integrate into our billing software. We also needed a tool that would be double as a task manager.

Siobhan Feeney

Great PM for small teams

Reviewed 2019-07-09

On year 3 of using FF and has been super helpful

Pros
Very easy to use and great system for small teams. Updating projects is easy and I love how customizable this tool is for your team.

Cons
I wish creating schedule templates was easier

Ashley Davis

Function Fox Review-Satori Member

Reviewed 2020-02-07

We needed something that combined timesheets with our project management system. FF worked well and helped solve that problem.

Pros
It's very easy to use and has a lot of bells and whistles which is great. My favorite feature is the timesheet feature.

Cons
I wish it had more colors, it's a little blah and grey and boring.

Jane Cumming

Great product

Reviewed 2020-01-30

Pros
My partner had used Function Fox in a previous company and found it useful. We found it much easier to use than alternative products we used elsewhere so returned to Function Fox as soon as we had the opportunity.

Cons
Would prefer to have the company name rather than an organisation no.

Amanda Serra

You can get the same for cheaper / free

Reviewed 2020-02-04

Overall it gets the job done but could be cheaper as there are free alternatives that do almost all of the same things

Pros
Organization between workers / projects

Cons
Cost is too high for value received, needs more free features

Likelihood to recommend: 2/10

Brenda Rigdon

FunctionFox for Architects

Reviewed 2018-08-30
Review Source: Software Advice

My billing is generally by the hour, and so the "timer" feature is extremely helpful when working on multiple projects in a day. I also like that I can set up email reminders if I forget to fill out my timesheet.

Pros
I have a small but growing architecture practice. I tried several project management and timekeeping and accounting programs before finding FunctionFox. I have been using it for a little over a year now. It allows me to do everything in one place, from job estimating to invoicing. The most important feature I was looking for, and was having trouble finding elsewhere, was an "resource availability" function, that would keep me from scheduling myself or my employees for 180 hours/week. FunctionFox has definitely improved my organizing skills with its to do lists and progress reports. The customer service has been excellent, and the interface is easy to use and clearly organized. I recommend it for any firm, but especially small start ups.

Cons
Still waiting for Gantt charts. Then I think it will be perfect. They are used extensively in construction scheduling, and I would like to have the same format when scheduling the design.

Anonymous

Subscribing to FunctionFox is one of the best business decisions I’ve made

Reviewed 2016-04-08

For several years, I have used FunctionFox every day, to record my time and manage my projects. I found setup really simple, and day-to-day use is a cinch – I record my time with FunctionFox’s timer, which makes it easy to switch between clients and projects. Generating reports takes seconds, and FunctionFox has let me cut admin time that I used to spend searching through old emails and scribbled notes to do my billing. With FunctionFox, once I’ve entered my time, I can use the information for loads of things: to create more accurate estimates for similar projects; to track my actual time against my estimates (very useful for keeping clients informed); to create and adjust invoices; and to show clients exactly what I’ve done for them.

Pros
Since I started using FunctionFox, I’ve captured significantly more billable hours every month to. I find this program to be simple, flexible and really affordable. Also, customer service is completely free, with a service rep assigned specifically to me. That means I can always talk to someone who understands my business whenever I have a question, as often as I need, completely free. All in all, subscribing to FunctionFox is one of the best business decisions I’ve made.

Cons
If you’re looking for a product with all possible bells and whistles, you may need to keep looking. You can export data from FunctionFox to other programs pretty easily, but accounting features aren’t built in.

James DiPilla

Love the task assignment feature.

Reviewed 2018-11-23
Review Source: Software Advice

We love the features of FunctionFox. The program has worked flawlessly since we got it, and on the rare occasion we got stuck on a feature, their staff was very knowledgeable and helpful.

Pros
The best thing about this program is that you can assign tasks to individual employees. This allows for better tracking of project time, and the mobile app gives you the option to do that even if you aren’t in the office. The ability to create an unlimited number of clients and projects is an even greater bonus. The emailing of tasks also helps greatly with time management.

Cons
As we only needed it for time tracking, we haven’t encountered any negative things to say about this project. There are more features that we just don’t need, so perhaps slim lining the program would be helpful to make it more sleek-looking.

Heather Shelby

A great Time & Expense tracking tool for small-ish agencies and freelancers

Reviewed 2017-10-04

more accurate billing

Pros
I implemented this software when I owned my own agency of 1 full-time and 2 part-time staff. It helped tremendously to track the time spent on projects and more accurate billing. No more paper time sheets! I always had accurate data when a Client asked "how much time do we have into this". They have great customer service and is fairly reasonable in price even for smaller shops. Reporting is robust. Pretty user-friendly.

Cons
It's missing the Project Management piece. At least in tracking To Do's like Basecamp does. I wish I could have 1 software that does both of these things.

Jacquie Henning

Use FunctionFox and Make Life Easier

Reviewed 2016-05-05
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
As an Account Manager/Office Manager I can't imagine how I would get through my day without FunctionFox. I use the action function weekly to prepare for our Monday traffic meetings and keep this up-to-date throughout the week, so I always know the status of my client projects. Running reports for monthly billing and using the invoicing tool has saved hours of time! The ability to run current client reports as well as reports from archived jobs allows me to see how time was spent, capturing billable time and expenses, and is also a great tool in preparing estimates. As easy as it is to use, if you do need help, the customer service at FunctionFox is unbeatable! Signing up for FunctionFox is one decision you absolutely won't regret.

Cons
Really there is nothing I don't like about FunctionFox it's a great product and fulfills the requirements I use it for.

Helen Fairburn

Super Simple CRM Solution

Reviewed 2018-04-16
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
We love this software, it's quick, easy and very cost effective. We easily input our data into it, the fields are all editable so is bespoke to us. We haven't had to ask for much support as the software is so easy to use, but when we did the help was fast, helpful and friendly. Function Fox has made the studio run far more efficiently, team members can book jobs in quickly and time sheets are super fast. The retainer option has been really useful too, we can also report on staff productivity and ensure timesheets are being filled out.

Cons
Having worked with the software for a few months I cannot find any flaws with it, we researched many CRM software solutions and most were too expensive or too complex for our needs, Function Fox gives us the option to have a basic CRM system with add-ons available if we want to expand features.

Jeremie White

FunctionFox Keeps Project Management for Creative Teams Simple

Reviewed 2018-08-28
Review Source: Software Advice

We have used FunctionFox for time and expense tracking for over 15 years. I am an early adopter and have been blown away by their consistent customer service. Their team of great people support this solid product.

Pros
Great UI, very intuitive for designers and account people. Timesheets are painless and now our expenses don’t slip through the cracks. Absolutely pays for itself. Everything an ad agency or design firm needs!

Cons
Can’t think of anything. Whenever there was an issue, they have listened to our suggests and continue to improve the product.

Michael Dill

Good if used properly

Reviewed 2019-07-16

It's a very nice way to properly track time spent on projects, clients, etc. Over the course of the year, you can see where you've gone over on hours and where you might want to dedicate more time. When you give clients a certain amount of time per month, having software like this is essential for tracking purposes.

Pros
It made it very easy to track time for clients over the course of the day, week, and month. Quite customizable, so we were able to have it fit our needs.

Cons
Nothing in particular comes to mind. It is solid software for time tracking.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Vicki Floyd

Helps to Manage Time Spent on Client Projects

Reviewed 2018-05-14
Review Source: Software Advice

When dealing with clients and billing them, this is a great product. It's reasonably priced, easy to use and improves our billing, which helps not only our company, but gives our clients the assurance that we are billing appropriately and accurately.

Pros
This product keeps track of all of my notes on my clients' projects. This helps to ensure that my billing is accurate.

Cons
This product is not accessible when the internet is down. It would be great to have a resident version on my computer when internet is out.

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Kathryn Long

Office Manager has 100% positive review

Reviewed 2018-09-28
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
As a company we like how easy the program is to use, both for time tracking projects, and for tracking payroll. If we encounter a problem anywhere while using this system (for example changes in billing rates) we contact customer support and help is offered right away.

Cons
As a company we have experienced no negative issues while using this software. We have used the software for 3 years now and are very happy.

Bonney King

I have been using FunctionFox for over 10 years and it's made me a better Producer!

Reviewed 2017-08-03
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
FunctionFox is easy to use, very intuitive and is a real time-saver. I especially like all the reports I can run. The "Action Report" in particular has made our weekly Traffic Meetings more efficient, with everyone starting the week on the same page.

Cons
It would be great to be able to generate Purchase Orders. Also, it would be helpful, and more efficient, if you could upload more than one file at a time to Flink.

Sherry Bruck

It's a Game Changer

Reviewed 2017-01-19

We absolutely love using Function Fox. It's quickly become a habit and we find that our workflow is more accurately tracked and therefore we have a better handle on capturing all time spent for invoicing as well as a monitor for how we allocate our time! Personally, I love clocking out for the day and seeing my billable hour total. Makes me feel very productive and efficient. Also for retainer clients, it's very effective in generating the monthly report; easily documenting and validating time spent. I highly recommend this online tool to agencies of all sizes. We jumped right into using it and it took no time at all to learn. It's very easy and user-friendly. It's a game changer and we feel much more in control and profitable as a result. Sherry Bruck, President, Harquin Creative Group

Pros
The timekeeping tools. Love the way it interacts with the Client, Project, Task and the ability to edit.

Cons
I've had to disengage the hourly rate recording because very often we adjust that when reporting and invoicing to clients. Therefore we haven't figured out a way to invoice directly from the software. Also, I wish Outlook calendar could somehow be linked to the Function Fox calendar.

Anonymous

My agency uses FunctionFox daily to log our time and track our progress.

Reviewed 2018-05-04

Pros
I like the detailed reporting, the action assignment process, the time entry process, and the ease of entering estimates.

Cons
It's a little tricky teaching people to use the software when they first start their job at my agency - we utilize learn as you go "training." Maybe the help center could compile all of their articles into one giant article like a giant FunctionFox guide for new users.

Cheryl Peotter

Great Product!

Reviewed 2018-09-14

I had used Function Fox at my previous employer and when I started with this architect firm they were tracking time another way and it was very easy for me to convince them to make the switch. I'm so glad because it has made my job so much easier here!

Pros
Very simple to learn and use. You can customize reports for your specific needs. Cost is very affordable. Customer Support - outstanding!

Cons
There's really nothing I don't like about it.

Leigh Carter

Everything works, it's easy, and even kind of fun

Reviewed 2017-08-10

Ease of time tracking multiple tasks on multiple projects for multiple clients.

Pros
Very user-friendly, easy to use. Allows for flexibility in choosing reports to print/save/share. Flexibility also in going back to add in hours on a day when you might have forgotten them. Terrific customer support - first in the "getting started" tutorial/hand-holding, to any follow up questions.

Cons
There is really nothing to "not like", from my experience with FunctionFox. I've been using it for about two years, and have had no negative experiences with it.