Karbon Reviews

User ratings

4.7

• Likelihood to recommend9.45/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

We save time and gain efficiency and clarity with Karbon. The integration with Practice Ignition has been great as well.

Its better than its competitors. Great customer support - online support is super quick.

Karbon is right at the top - best software available - permanently developing and adding features - super support.

Olivia N.

The "clunkyness" of this softwares use can be annoying at first. I am slightly unhappy with the lack of reports of all jobs and tasks in one place.

LM

Leah M.

Karbon is still missing some basic email functions that can prove frustrating and mean you still need to occasionally switch back to Gmail to get something setup.

Jonathan B.

Not being able to integrate with my Calendar, thus I still need to open Outlook daily. Inability for my delegates of my Mailbox to have access in Karbon.

Karbon users...

Jetpack Workflow-logocaret
listing-logo

Jetpack Workflow

Compare both
How would you rate Karbon?

The Superman-Batman-Crocodile Dundee-Indiana Jones-Dog Whisperer of Team Communication and Project Mgmt Tool

Have you ever wanted ONE SPOT to check email, delegate task, manage projects and customers? Karbon is IT. NOthing else compares to this robust, all inclusive system. Forget Twist and Slack, and your gmail or outlook, zendesk and all the rest. This program, while made for the accounting industry, is the perfect solution for any industry, and even a single individual could use it, but it shines with...

Pros

Everything about Karbon.

Cons

They have both of these on their Fall 2017 roadmap: 1) time clock for job/client/employee time tracking (which is the only other external program we now use and can't wait to only use Karbon for everything); 2) Canned Responses (template emails plug & play). Coming soon, and I can deal with these cons because of everything else has saved so much time.

KarbonApp for the Growing Firm

Wonderful and I can't wait to continue to gain further best practice and utilize all the components around capacity planning etc.

Pros

We implemented Karbon only a short time ago and I am already seeing significant impact on my time through the ease of delegation of specific tasks and the ownership of those tasks to be able to check provide oversite. My staff has had a similar response and although it has been a learning curve we all see the potential and benefits.

Cons

There are a few items around being able to apply templates after work is created (currently you cannot do this only at creation). It also takes the server five minutes or so to show a contact that you add which is a pain when setting up new client work. We had asked to have contact emails imported and although they were provided for some reason they did not get imported (that combined with the delay...

Not worth the money - there are lots of other options

I hope it's improved since I tried using it. I know Karbon has a lot of positive reviews, and it has always confused me because I liked a lot of the other project management applications we looked at better than it. But who knows - maybe my brain just doesn't work right for this particular piece of software.

Pros

It's a good-looking, flashy app. I liked being able to assign emails to coworkers and clients and my own tasks. Full disclosure: we used this for about three months at my company and then abandoned it. It just was not helpful to us.

Cons

My list of complaints about Karbon is long. Mostly, I feel like they hint at features that only technically exist. For example, Karbon integrates with QuickBooks Online, but I cannot understand why. It doesn't pull in relevant company information from QBO - not even company addresses. Those have to be manually entered. And yes, you can read your emails in Karbon, but you lose a lot of Gmail functionality...

Better but not Best

Karbon support has always been great. Higher ups are not accessible. While they always solicit feedback, it never seems to get heard. They seem to be chasing markets and customers right now and not focusing on their existing clients and how they can help them be more productive.

Pros

Karbon has revolutionized Workflow for accountants. Truly taken it to a new level. It does so many things so well that it is hard to not take those features for granted until you compare it to other similar software. Here are some exceptional features While not perfect, the email integration is great Creating and managing projects is relatively easy and painless Client task management is excellent and extremely useful Automations is work is great team collaboration is very good especially at the task level Mostly great utilization of screen realestate.

Cons

Todo list is frustrating for me. Being a Franklin Covey person, i want more control over my todo list. I cant export my todo list either which would help mitigate this issue. Not enough control over tasks. Task list can be overwhelming and thus not useful No proactive feedback about assigned tasks or notes. IF I assign someone a task, email or note, I want to know when they have done the work and...

Communication reduces staff frustration and is the key to excellent customer service!

Exceptional. Karbon continually makes improvements to their products. They look for suggestions from the users and are happy to accommodate finding a solution for a specialized request.

Pros

Our staff enjoys the Triage function and visibility of communication most about Karbon. With having a team approach to most of our client work, it's important for everyone to know details from client interactions. This has helped us to be more efficient, batching questions and keeping us from contacting the client repeatedly for the same thing. It has essentially helped us provide better customer service while making our team more efficient.

Cons

I would like to have more options of labeling clients, helping to narrow down a specific group of clients to target for an email message or reporting purposes. Filter work by work title instead of work type.

Why I picked KarbonHQ

This software has given us the visibility to see all of the work that we have. Before this we were all siloed in our inboxes, now we have shared communication and collaboration on work.

Pros

I like the fact that this software gives me visibility on Work that is not complete, by person, by budget, by client, by type of work. The flexibility of seeing reporting is great.

Cons

The ability to search emails needs improvement. You can do it, however it is more effective to use Outlook.

The best tool for accountants, with great support.

Pros

It is designed for accountants to both manage their clients and the team collaboration effectively and efficiently. Either as the owner, partner of the business managing the team or as a team member managing the client projects on a day to day basis, this tool does a great job. I can't think of not having Karbon HQ. The Karbon HQ team is always providing new updates and on-going trainings to increase the usage efficiency of its users.

Cons

Can't say there is anything I don't like. The UX has a classical design and may be updated to have a fresher look and feel but that is a minor enhancement.

Great product

Karbon is a great app and has become an integral part of our business.

Pros

Product is very easy to use and makes keeping client communications together really easy which in turn helps make us as efficient as possible.

Cons

Would be great if there was integration with a client portal system.

Karbon is excellent

Experience with Karbon has been great so far.

Pros

Integrates well with many apps, including Zapier. Like being able to switch between kanban and list view for work overview. Staff are responsive and helpful when needed. Lots of useful and timely webinars are also provided.

Cons

I would prefer to have a telephone helpdesk available, but have grown used to the online help and it's not that big of a deal now.

Awesome Practice Management Software for Accountants and Bookkeepers

Excellent and thrilling

Pros

Cons

there is nothing I don't like - Karbon is spot on perfect

KarbonHQ - Our Why

Very good. The customer service is excellent, the updates are really regular - the forward focus is good. Overall, happy.

Pros

Our original investigation into programs like Karbon were based on our massive email issue - clients would email the account manager or the Director (myself) and then we would spend amazing amounts of time cc'ing the right people. We were looking for a program whereby the email trail for a client was easily accessible to all relevant staff. Karbon has sufficient security to ensure its not open sharing, but allowed us to much better service client needs across our growing team.

Cons

The Kanban/Task Management didn't work well for our company and the way we operate - I think it might work well for many accounting firms in vertical stacks, but we operate on a tier based level and it made using the task management system in Karbon a complex nightmare. Staff became confused with assigning and allocating work tags. We use a different program for project/task management - but it synchronises broadly with Karbon - and we intergrated Karbon with T-Sheets to take care of time monitoring.

My preference of the Practice Management Tools available

Overall I find Karbon a pleasure to work with and has definitely made my life as a practice manager a whole lot simpler. It is continually getting better and it seems they listen to their users and make changes on what they hear which to me is the best thing a software company can do. Look forward to optimising Karbon more for our practice and definitely see it as a key software in view of the growth we are aiming to acheive.

Pros

It's very simple to get your head around in the main and comes with a good set of instructions. Love the task list and kanban boards for work management and as a practice manager, it makes my life much easier to be able to see all the work that is happening from one system. It also works wonders with repeating work items where you are able to assign e-mails or notes to multiple timelines and even...

Cons

We have found it harder to get older members of the team onto the software and potentially could have a very simple addon for programs such as outlook and gmail which would let users use the system they're used of but still push the information into Karbon correctly. There has also been issues a few times with integration to Office 365 which when the whole office relies on the system can be a big hit on productivity. The other thing I probably would change if possible is the client portal and make it much more of a place where clients can actually log in and see the progress of their work and get an idea on exactly what is being sorted for them.

My favorite piece of software I've ever used.

Pros

Easy to set up and use. Great tool for collaboration with colleagues and clients. One central location for all work, communication, and demographic data.

Cons

There are always things that could be improved in any software, but I don't feel like there are currently any holes in Karbon, just things that could be better. The "to-do" and "insights" section are two that I feel could be improved to increase their usefulness.

Huge Potential to help me support the accountants in my firm

Pros

My Motto for every day is "How can I help you today" and Karbon is my best asset For helping others. When the accountants in our office need a report or need to know if something has been done and they are too busy to check I can filter All Work in KARBON and bring it down to the file they are looking for in a very short time. I can have their answer back to them quickly and in a manner, they can...

Cons

Until you learn that the secret key to Karbon is FILTER - FILTER - FILTER then it is almost too big a program and under-utilized by a number of people. One of our senior partners summed it up like this "Imagine the only way you have to communicate to the office is through the KANBAN view in KARBON" this view teaches you to make notes, share emails, FILTER All Work and generally get as upclose to the file as you can so all the participants can work on any file in the company confidently knowing that they are working with the latest information. The only true Con is the magnitude of the learning curve. But with the seminars and help articles, you can feel supported and know you are not alone. There are many people who can help you out. There are WAY more pros than cons - really.

Practice Management made easy

Practice management, staff management, job management, email management - it delivers all that I wanted in one app. What I would love is if the time tracking integration was not limited to tsheets as I have tested tsheets and it is more of a payroll focussed time management tool as opposed to a billing tool or tracking of job efficiencies tool - I would prefer if this integration was expanded to include...

Pros

I am constantly writing out "to do lists" and then I get to the end of the week and I need to consolidate those lists to make sure nothing drops off - with Karbon I always have my to do list available and up to date. I also enjoy the fact that i have better control of my e-mails and previously where I forwarded a mail to a staff member by way of delegating it to them i had no way of checking that the mail was attended to unless I added it to my to do list - whereas now I can add it to their to do list and monitor whether or not it was completed

Cons

there is a quite a bit of set up involved in terms of getting the work templates in place but that is to be expected I guess - although once set up those work templates will serve as a sort of process manual so it kills two birds with one stone - its just where I am a small practice the time taken to get all set up will take longer as it is only me setting it up in between still trying to manage practice and keep up to date with client work

Revolutionary accounting software that, if used to its full, will transform your practice or firm.

Increased visibility of all projects and undertakings in the practice. Ability to monitor deadlines and schedule reminders. The automated aspect of the software is an indispensable quality for our industry and the option to create client tasks which are housed in their own space (outside of email threads where they often end up getting lost or missed) and the automatic reminders that underpin these, have transform our service delivery times and accountability measures.

Pros

The templates for work items which serve as company systems and procedures as well as project management allows us to monitor staff performance while resting assured that work is completed accurately and timely. We have more visibility than ever before and the software promotes the creation of new work in a way which defines 'how' it should be completed and so we now have operating systems and checklists for all our work. We know exactly what is and isn't being done.

Cons

Integration with 3rd party applications is still quite limited - we find ourselves duplicating data entry in some areas. It would be great if the software allowed the use of custom fields to record data not currently catered for by the preset data fields.

Karbon User

Invested lots of time with the Karbon team in setting up our practice on the application, but this investment has paid off over the last 3 years with our practice able to scale and not loose sight of all work and tasks each team member is working on.

Pros

A cloud-based, highly functional, simple UI application makes running our accounting practice much easier.

Cons

There is yet ot be a fully functional iOS app

The Project Management Tool that Manages YOU!

Pros

It's completely streamlined our business, increased profitability and reduced time wasted on looking for things, or duplicating tasks. It's really easy to setup and maintain and you don't need an administrator to manage it for you. We have much more control over our emails now, assigning them to work and colleagues and setting up work such as on-boarding, system setup, or IAS and BAS is a breeze using templates. Client tasks help us receive information from clients in a more timely manner. There are too many features to list! But I'd pretty much tried everything on the market prior to Karbon and this - well it just ticks ALL the boxes and does what it's meant to do!

Cons

I'd love to be able to pin a note to the top of the work timelime. But that's not really a con, it's just a feature request!!!

An excellent project management and client communication tool with excellent support

Pros

Client communication is so simple yet secure. Automation works very well. It integrates with other products that I use.

Cons

Lack of control over sorting of work items in kanban so it's hard to practice first-in first-out workflow. Lack of flexibility in the templates so it's hard to do A/B testing and continuous improvement.

Step your game with Karbon!

Our team is more productive! They're spending less time sending emails and more time organizing their to-dos. We feel organized as a firm by being able to find client emails, assigning to-dos to each other and easily managing our work.

Pros

The most impactful feature is the cohesiveness of Karbon. We needed one place for our staff to send emails, enter their time, and track their work. We used 3 different apps to do this and Karbon combined all of them for us. The Client Task feature Karbon offers is my favorite. You can set up recurring monthly requests for your clients and it sends reminders on your behalf.

Cons

Karbon is robust, but with time you will get used to it. The onboarding was super helpful and seamless. We loved the support we had along the way.

Long time user

Karbon has enabled our team to work efficiently, document work notes, and set up standards.

Pros

The ability to manage our work schedule.

Cons

Copy/paste features do not work well. I would like my Grammarly to integrate. I would like to move work tasks to client tasks. I would like to put an internal comment on client tasks. I would like to be above to select all work tasks, copy, then paste to Excel.

What a great practice management Tool!

Pros

Karbon is a such a great tool for our team communication and overall management of our business. It helps to keep everyone on our team in the know with regards to what is happening with our clients with the easy to use features of assigning tasks, creating to-do lists & checklists, and following up on work. It's also helped take following up with clients off of our plate with their "assign to clients"...

Cons

The only outstanding items right now are Outlook & TSheets features. We'd like to see folders in Karbon for ease of access and organization with emails, along outlook calendar visibility. We'd also like the ability to edit time in Karbon to avoid having to open up the TSheets application to view/edit. But I know they are diligently working on adding additional features and I'm hopeful that we aren't too far away from these.

Karbon is my brain outside my body

Pros

It's impossible to grow a firm without making intrinsic knowledge available to all. Karbon has allowed us to codify that knowledge in templates and checklists, while making both internal and client communications visible across the team.

Cons

I'm looking forward to improved integration with our file storage system, as clients tend to want to upload documents through Karbon but that's not where I want them.

Game Changer!

I don't know how I managed my clients and jobs before Karbon ... I know it was a struggle! With Karbon, it is so easy to keep track of what you are doing for each client with all correspondence and documents relating to those jobs attached to each piece of work. You can search for jobs, emails, work etc, create To-Do lists, assign work to colleagues and so much more. I can recommend this app to all professional service businesses, particularly bookkeeping and accounting practices.

Pros

Super easy to set up Very responsive support Makes scheduling work very easy Makes keeping on top of ad-hoc jobs and regular jobs very, very easy Constant innovation and improvement of the app Keeps all correspondence and emails relating to each job in one place Searchable emails, work, contacts etc

Cons

I can't think of any cons!

Exceeds expectations

Karbon has solved the ‘silo’ problem in my Busenius. Complete visibility of communications between team member and customer is now a reality. The Karbon development team and support team are amazing and really care about me and my business.

Pros

Triage has eased the pain of dealing with the ever growing problem and distractions of managing emails. Digital communication with the customer and team members is smooth and easy. Workflow management and process templates has been a real game changer!

Cons

Can’t think of any Cons… I feel this is a good thing. 😉