GoCardless

UK's leading online direct debit provider

GoCardless Reviews

Pros

Nice simple interface, cost effective, good integrations, good overview of clients in general. Easy to get clients to sign up.

Luke M.

I have been using GoCardless for my business since 2012. When we first started using them they were a small start-up and we had remained loyal and supportive of them for over 7 years.

Neil R.

Cons

The issue caused us a loss of over £22,0000. We brought the flaw to the attention of GoCardless who admitted the issue but have refused to compensate us or apologise for this serious error.

Joseph L.

4.1

Go Cardless

simple and beneficial to the business

Pros

easy to use, simple set up and integration to team up

Cons

nothing that I can think of as its cheap and user friendly

Go Cardless has given my business the tools to be able to exceed customer retention.

With passing a substantial amount of money through the Go Cardless system, I find the interest fee is barely noticeable in the overall scheme. I've saved countless man hours in using the system by no longer chasing customers for regular payments and leaving it to Go Cardless to manage that for me. My customers are a lot happier too as they know each payment is taken securely If integrated with the correct Accounting Software, you can also use the same authorization from the customer to take one-off payments meaning that customers with an active authorization don't have to worry about carrying a card or cash, I just hit take payment. Customer-managed payments have never been this easy at such a competitive rate!

Pros

The ability to take regular payments from a customer in different frequencies sets this company apart from the competition. Previously, I had to send invoices and chase customers for payments. All that is now a thing of the past. I can agree on a date and amount with my customers and let the direct debits sort the rest out. No massive fee's for setting up and once approved by the customer, they sort...

Cons

No virtual terminal makes it difficult to take immediate payments over the phone. I would also be better to reduce the time it takes to have the money reach the business account, but it's not necessarily a negative because when you begin to take regular revenue, you barely notice the waiting period. The customer support on setting up was somewhat tricky. After back and forth communication, my very first payment was stuck in the system for a lot longer than expected. This was nearly two years ago so as far as I can hope, the signing up process is a lot more streamlined now.

A good start in the subscription business

Pros

I use GOCARDLESS to process my clients' monthly subscriptions. Through the SEPA direct debit mandate (EU), the fees can be collected automatically and fully automated from the account. The payment is made a few days later minus a fee, which in my opinion is very low. The UI is very modern and makes it easy to use. With the various integrations GOCARDLESS can be integrated into existing systems or via API/Webhook into own software. Setting up a direct debit mandate is very easy for the end user, as this is done entirely online with a link provided beforehand.

Cons

I would like to see more customization options in the free plan. Some of my customers are confused (even if I explain it to them before) because GOCARDLESS always appears on the debits instead of my company's name. Also, filling out a direct debit mandate on paper is only available in the paid version, but I think this is an important option and should therefore be available to all users. There are many users who are skeptical about being able to grant a direct debit mandate online without a signature. A mobile app would be very desirable, as the website is not mobile-optimized and I would like to be able to access the data on the go.

THINK VERY CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU USE THIS COMPANY.

It recently came to our attention that GoCardless had implemented something on their customer sign-up forms for customers to state that their bank account required multiple signatories. Hundreds of our customers had either mistakenly chosen this option or they had become aware of a loophole with the GoCardless payment system. It transpired that selecting the 'multiple signatory option' meant GoCardless...

Pros

Cons

Sadly their service today is nothing like it was in the past. Over the years there have been some issues with their service but they had generally been helpful in getting things fixed. However, they service today is absolutely shocking and I would urge anyone considering using the company to be extremely careful.

Great payment processing with low fees

Cheaper payment processing.

Pros

Low fees, great interface design, a portal for the customer to signup, easy setup of recurring payments from a client.

Cons

slow activation time of direct debit mandate. Lack of proper integration with Xero accounting software.

GoCardless is a good payment system for direct debits.

My overall experience with GoCardless has been very good, once you setup your payments and know what you're doing, you can pretty much leave it and it will do most of the work for you.

Pros

-Easy to use -Very cheap -Rarely any technical issues -Never experienced downtime -Good customer support -Links with Quickbooks

Cons

The only con i'd have for GoCardless is that a few of my customers mandates didn't go through properly although they were completed all fine. This meant they had to catch up on the payments they missed however this was a very minor problem.

Great for Gaining payment on time

Great experience I love using it.

Pros

I Love using this software, as I struggled getting my clients to pay their invoices on time, now I get them to sign up to this, allowing me to take a Monthly or a weekly direct debit.

Cons

Slightly time consuming to use, having to manly enter details on to the system each month.

The best EFT Option via API

Overall, our experience with GoCardless has been fantastic.

Pros

Offers an amazing, simple API to hook into for electronic transactions via EFT/ACH. Really fast setup and seamless documentation.

Cons

I would have liked to use GoCardless as a one stop shop: i.e. having both Direct Debit and Credit Card functionality. Right now, with the lack of credit card access, we're forced to segment our payments APIs to different providers.

Although a good product painful to get verified and customer service non existent

none

Pros

Dashboard easy to use good for cash flow and easy of collecting payment. Customer support very dubious seems to be like the original PayPal struggling to keep up

Cons

During verification you are encouraged to accept payments. When it comes to the final hurdle difficult to get hold of anyone. Keep quoting FCA rules but FCA does not support some of there procedures and has said it is not them insisting on accounts being the same legal entity as the application. When support does pick up the phone no one is able to help you have to email and get email responses of 3.5 days which is a joke. If you can ignore the banner to put payments in do not add any customers until you are completely verified otherwise you are help to ransom and your money stuck in there account .

Really nice

Cheap to receive recurring payments.

Pros

Cons

Not always easy to understand the status of payments or explain to customers how long it will take for a payment to process. Does take a while to process - I realise this is because of banks not GC.

Best Solution On The Market

Ou experience has been very positive. The platform is super easy to use. GoCardless is our main payments gateway and we will be sticking with them.

Pros

Very easy to get started with GoCardless. And super easy to either add payment requests manually or import them. They are by far the easiest payment solution platform I have come across.

Cons

The direct debit signup is hosted on their side. With the free tier, you get a link to a dedicated page where customers can submit their details. Recently we have updated our onboarding process and to integrate a seamless customer experience (i.e. the customer not being navigated to a GoCardless page) we need to subscribe to their Pro tier which is very expensive. Very disappointed with this feature not being available to at least the Plus tier.

An Incredible Payment Solution for UK Businesses

Even with the geo-restrictions, GoCardless' low fees make it an ideal solution for startups.

Pros

GoCardless provides such a clean and simple way to create invoices and take payments. They provide a plethora of options, such a recurring billing, which days to take payment and multiple concurrent payment plans. GoCardless also boast very low fees in comparison to solutions such as PayPal.

Cons

Last I checked, GoCardless does not allow individuals from locations such as the United States to pay, limiting me to take payment from only UK residents.

Very easy to use affordable solution

Awessome

Pros

Excellent service and product, good pricing and makes accepting direct debits possible for smaller businesses that dont have the need to pay out to do it via other means. easy to use system which allows you to be in control of the process and lets you see what is occuring

Cons

Gocardless- ideal for trusted customers.

As a tutoring agency based in the UK (Athena Tuition) we were looking for additional ways to allow our customers to pay us. We already use Stripe and were happy, but Gocardless provides even cheaper (1%) rates, which we are in control of payment timings for.

Pros

Very Low commission You pull the money from their account (no delay with payment).

Cons

Subject to direct debit guarantee - customers can use chargebacks to reverse the fee automatically if they don't like something. This is risky for any business because there's no time limit - a customer could have built up a huge balance, and then pull it all back at once.

Support is really poor

It seems it is not ready for market or they are really short staffed.

Pros

I liked that my software made is easy to integrate.

Cons

The support is shocking. Waited weeks and only received canned, robotic replies.

Good Product for accepting payments

My friend told me about it, I've been using it for a month, it works great all so easy, hassle-free, good for small sized businesses, beeing able to accept payments in installments it's so important and GoCardeless have made it stress free.

Pros

How easy it is to accept payments

Cons

None

Thanks for your review Nicole, we really appreciate your feedback! Very glad to hear you are happy with our product.

The easiest way to take direct debit payments from customer in UK/EU

Now we've got it setup it runs nicely on autopilot, customers like it and the fees are cheap - so overall, we're very happy.

Pros

It's fairly easy to get onboarded and integrate with invoicing software, meaning you can be billing customers within just a few days.

Cons

It's a little cumbersome to register with different countries direct debit scheme. Each requires a new onboarding flow and has to requested manually via customer service.