Subbly Logo

4.9

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.69/10

Reviews by rating

The software is easy to use and I had the most professional and amazing customer service in helping integrate with my Shopify store.
No stock control/variants for non-subscription items. Limits to what you can do on the site, mobile and tablet aren't completely intuitive/customisable/responsive.
The part that caused me some problems was making the website appear consistent on both the desktop and mobile version.
Lack of shipping options for customers - proves difficult to have a profitable one price fits all option. Somewhat defensive customer service responses.

Megan R.

Farming, 1-10 employees

Perfect for small CSA Farms, affordable & flexible system

I have had a million questions about all the options they've made available in this SAAS, and hiccups getting the payment to go through since it's international and the bank thought it was fraudulent. They've been so helpful and prompt with responding considering our time difference from California to Europe. The even extended the free trial so I could have time to get everything in order before going live!

Pros

Price point is affordable for small businesses and farms. Most favorite features are the customer portal so our subscribers can manage their own subscription, preferences, and billing at their convenience. The check out survey allows you to create add-on products and services billed right into the subscription price, or just as a one time add-on. The checkout flow is beautiful and mobile friendly, and the widget functions perfectly.

Cons

Not much I don't like about it - one thing I wish I could modify is the ability to change the language in the checkout process so it doesn't say "ship to this address", as opposed to just collecting a shipping and billing address, as one of my options in the checkout survey is to collect their subscription box on our farm for free.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us, we're over the moon that you've had a positive experience!

DT

Dean T.

Consumer Goods, 1-10 employees

Great for flexible and dynamic subscriptions

It's a great but still growing platform for subscription businesses. I think it's the best option at a reasonable price range for a subscription business all-in-one platform and website builder, and they are building out some of what I would consider are the missing features so it's only going to get better. Plus, their customer support is worth a special mention - they go above and beyond with personalised support whenever anything is amiss. I recommend Subbly for subscription business startups.

Pros

I reviewed a few platforms via free trials before deciding on Subbly for my e-commerce subscription store. It was the clear winner for versatility and support for variable subscription options. Other platforms can be twisted to work, with plugins and addons (at additional cost) but if a line of subscription products is your core, then Subbly's your best bet. This is what it's designed for out of the box, and it handles it well.

Cons

Because Subbly is still (as at Sep 2020) a relatively niche platform, if you want to integrate with other services you have limited choices. They are building out their app integrations, but the library of services that work with Subbly is still small. However, some custom coding and some automation intermediaries like Zapier can bridge a lot of these gaps. The website builder is comprehensive and...

KM

Kelly M.

Retail, self-employed

Expensive for what you get

I like that you can embed the sub checkout into your current site. I was looking to use subbly as my actual site and it didn't' quite work out for me and ultimately decided to go with Cratejoy. However, I think this would be a good option if you are just using the subscription checkout on your own site.

Pros

I like the templates and customizations that are available. I am not a web designer so it's nice to have options to customize my page to my own style/branding.

Cons

Quite expensive for what you get especially compared to competitors such as cratejoy. I ultimately decided to move to cratejoy for better value.

Hey Kelly, thanks so much for the review! We're always improving our product (and quickly) to give the maximum value, and a lot has changed since you used our service, including our website builder. We'd love to give you another free trial in the future to check it out! Just hit us up! Thanks again for the review and keeping rocking on

RM

Rebekah M.

Oustanding Product & Service

It has been great, they know what they are doing. If you have a subscription box use Subbly, they know all about them...this is a massive help. My website provider did have a subscription payment option but not for quarterly, whereas Subbly knows it's as popular and as key as monthly.

Pros

I love how easily the checkout option was to set up with Wix...I think together with the step by step instructions I only had to add support a couple of things...which they came straight back to me...really helpful. I probably would have done everything on Subbly if I hadn't already spent ages setting up wix and I had committed to a large annual cost with a couple of upgrades.

Cons

I don't think there are any negative things to say about the software. I would have liked an option of my customer selecting one of 6 free greeting cards (these are also for sale individually) if they spent over a certain amount or buying a one-off box for as a gift, it's not an issue I just have an excuse to contact the customer and ask them. The Subbly team is constantly adding, improving, and updating the software.

ST

Shawna T.

Retail, self-employed

Waaaay better than shopify, despite missing a few features

I was struggling with costing with Shopify. Everything was an extra cost and it all added up to be way too much.

Pros

the support team is AMAZING. I used/still use them frequently, but not because it's hard software to use, it's in fact so easy that i find myself trying more complicated things than before (i'm not a techie). Also, the price includes just about everything (analaytics, subscription billing etc) in the price.

Cons

Integrations and features. I wish there was a bulk inventory import for my products. There are also a few pay-for apps that i wish were a bit cheaper but that's just as I am starting out.

BW

Becky W.

Very Happy that I chose Subbly

Pros

I think that this platform has exceeded my expectations. I am super impressed with how truly and continually supportive the gang at Subbly have been, right from the time that they were working with me to understand my requirements, throughout onboarding and set up, and now for ongoing customer support as Subbly and I ‘get acquainted’. They have been able to answer all the questions I have had and provide solutions to any challenges I have come across. I appreciate that they don’t just “drop ya as soon as they got ya” 😊

Cons

As I said, I am very happy with Subbly, I think it would be great to see some sort of live collaboration tools, where support techs and customers can share screens to resolve troubles. This said, when necessary, they do send recorded screen share videos where techs explain and demonstrate, which has been very helpful for me.

Dear Becky, thank you very much for your kind words and for taking the time to leave us this wonderful review, we greatly appreciate your effort!

CS

Christy S.

Consumer Goods, self-employed

Subbly's website builder and subscription format make it easy to get up an running...

I have reached out multiple times via chat and their team is incredibly responsive and helpful - usually within the hour. Great customer service!

Pros

The website builder is very intuitive. Drag and drop mostly with no coding required at all (unless you want to ). They have a variety of templates that allow even the most tech-phobic entrepreneurs to simply drop in their unique text and photos. Very efficient. The subscription tool that incorporates the typeform survey is genius. It allows sellers to customize products in the subscription without having to go out of their site or follow up with an email. The tracking tools are very user-friendly as well. The ability for users to purchase one-time products and not just a subscription is a great feature.

Cons

The basics of the website builder and functionality are a great start but there are some customizations on the product side, like a survey integration on the one time product that I'd like to see.

CF

Carrie F.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Thanks Subbly

I feel like if I spend more time with Subbly University, I could use it better. I'm working towards it. But I seriously appreciate you guys. You've been incredibly patient and responsive.

Pros

Subby has made it so that I could easily get my subscription box business off the ground. Their customer service is KING. Seriously unparalleled. It feels like I have Subbly admin as my employees helping me every step of the way.

Cons

I do struggle with using software. The site isn't intuitive (to me) and that is why I have relied so heavily on customer service.

Dear Carrie, thank you for taking the time to leave us this review, we really appreciate it. We strive to make every customer experience to be a great one and we're sorry to hear you found Subbly interface not as convenient to use as we've hoped it would be. However, your feedback will help us improve and see how we can make the interface even better!

RF

Robert F.

Internet, 1-10 employees

What a HUGE improvement over every other system we'e ever tried to use

Pros

We have moved all of our clients and new business from the old clunky PayPal process (which was also VERY insecure!) to Subbly so that signing up for our services is now super easy, much faster, and much more secure. Managing users and seeing a real-time view of our entire business through the extensive dashboard has changed the way that we view our entire business. We're more informed than ever before, which shows us where we need to focus our efforts.

Cons

There's really nothing that I don't like about Subbly. While there are a LOT of features and functions in it that we don't use, it is nice to know that it has everything we need as we continue to grow.

TS

Tina S.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, self-employed

Amazing platform + customer service!

I normally use Wordpress for websites but since I was strapped for time I opted to use Subbly and was so pleased with the whole experience. Highly recommend.

Pros

Where do I begin? I absolutely LOVE Subbly. I started with the free trial because I wasn't quite sure if it would be right for my needs but it's fantastic. I run a subscription box company and it has pretty much all the features I need in a nice clean easy to use layout on the back end. The website builder was pretty easy to use but more importantly, it was so quick to set up! And I love that they're...

Cons

Seriously I can't think of much negative to say about Subbly. Any tiny minor tech issues I had were quickly and smoothly addressed by their support team, so they turned out to be non-issues.

CW

Cameron W.

Food Production, 1-10 employees

It works

While Subbly doesn't have as flashy of a marketing presence or site interface, it fulfills all of its brand's promises to customers. It allows businesses to grow and above all, it works!

Pros

Reliable. Very easy for customers. Very flexible for administrators to manage their customers' subscriptions. It is constantly working to improve all aspects of the experience for administrators and their customers alike.

Cons

Weird language for checkouts and other customer facing pages, would like to be more custom. A bit confusing to navigate management side of sight.

LT

Lynda T.

Consumer Goods, self-employed

Great software

the experience has been so great. The customer support team has been awesome. I would still be stuck if they hadn't helped me. and with the support chat, I have an answer within minutes of asking the question.

Pros

The website builder is so easy to use and understand. The people are great and very helpful. They seem to really care about me and helping me. They are patient, even when I don't understand what they are telling me. I also really like that everything is all handled by one company. There are no miscommunications about whose responsibility it is to fix the problem.

Cons

Perhaps a little more customization for the one time products, but ultimately I understand they are not the focus of the company

We greatly appreciate your feedback! We always make sure our customers are at the heart of what we do and how we do it!

JL

Jill L.

The Best Subscription Box Software

We made the change to add Subbly to our subscription box business. We are grateful for their service, features and adding new features all the time.

Pros

Subbly focuses specifically on subscription box business. They are adding new features all the time. The customer service is the best!

Cons

Nothing that I can think of. When there are issues, the customer service assists easily.

JB

Jason B.

Food Production, 11-50 employees

An excellent choice for a food subscription box

Pros

This product made it super easy for us to onboard customers for an online food marketplace.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons. Well, if I have to think of one, the fee is pretty high for their referral feature. Probably worth it though in hindsight.

ED

Edith D.

Broadcast Media, 1-10 employees

Where to begin...

HEAVEN! Especially for the price :)

Pros

I have been SOOOOOO impressed with Subbly for its major role in my business! I recently rolled out product-based subscription boxes and I COULD NOT do this without the gorgeous and intuitive Subbly software! In the world of SAAS-Y products, they bring all the value for my money! Subbly was the ONLY provider that helped me achieve my goal of having a recurring subscription box where people pick their products. I LOVE that my customers have a simple and useful dashboard and sophisticated features that other services either don't have or don't provide at an affordable rate for a growing entreprise. Customer service is always 100% knowledgeable and friendly! Can't wait to see what new functionality you come up with to make my business flow great and look even greater!

Cons

There are three things I need to be happier: 1) Single item coupons WITH unique codes and expiration dates (useful in both single and subscription products) 2) I need a way to provide affiliate links to my ambassadors for referring my single products and/or a specific subscription in my store. These also need to have an expiration date option.. 3) I need to be able to provide additional options to subscribers such as buying the 'basic' box for a specific rate OR the 'luxury' box for a higher rate. All within the same subscription listing. It's too exhausting to do multiple listings and it makes for an unnecessarily clunky checkout where they can't weigh which one is better within checkout.

Dear Edith, thank you very much for your kind words and for taking the time to leave us this wonderful review, we greatly appreciate your effort! And also thank you for the detailed feedback about possible improvements, we take such feedback very seriously and have created a special page, where you can request improvements to the existing features or tell us about some new features you'd like to see, you can always share your ideas with us here https://subbly.canny.io/feature-requests.

CV

Crystal V.

Subbly Review

Customer service with Subbly is top-notch! If I had a question, I would receive a video response showing me exactly how to navigate my system to address my question. VERY fast responses and they were easy to contact.

Pros

Subbly's platform is perfect for small business. It is very intuitive and easy to navigate. Inside the platform, Subbly would provide notifications and updates of what was happening in our account in "real language". I love this feature, as it makes it easy to see the activity on my account. The website builder was surprisingly easy, but allowed for a ton of design flexibility.

Cons

There really were not any features that I didn't like with Subbly. I was overall really pleased with it.

KM

Kensley M.

Positive Experience with Subbly

I am writing this review because I have had such a good experience and am grateful for the help subbly customer service has provided. I hope they know they know their team is doing a great job.

Pros

As a small business owner who does not have website or tech experience, customer service is a must for starting out on a new ecommerce site and as we grow. Subbly has a majority of want we want built into its site in an easy to navigate format (compared to other sites such as wix IMO). They subscription billing that is already built in is huge. The customer service has always solved our problems and been communicative and helpful. We have been using subbly for 4 months.

Cons

The built in billing is extremely helpful because there is no coding I personally need to do; however, it does mean subbly has limitations in the creativity of billing needs. We are a quarterly box and most subscription box sites are set up more for monthly and annually. BUT we have been able to make everything work about 90% the way we wanted to and were able to adapt to the rest. Also, an example of Subbly not having EVERY widget built into its site, is no built-in review templates or a discount wheel. These are smaller things compared to what you really need in a website platform. Although, I would love a review page template!

LL

Lesa L.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

1st impressions of Subbly

Customers are your business. Make them your priority no matter big or small.

Pros

I am in the start up of a ecommerce business, I started out four months ago, with one platform after another. After MANY hours, I had to abort every single one. after much wasted time!!! Discouraged -while reading a blog and trying to figure out my fix, {sorry, don't remember which blog) and they'd mentioned SUBBLY. so, I looked them up. Read their bio and knew🎯, this is where I belonged. 🏹 I am...

Cons

I have not found anything unlikeable while working with Subbly. They are the choice I wish Id knew about first.

DA

Drew A.

Subbly is a great full-service platform to get your subscription box business off the ground.

Pros

The best features of Subbly are the backend tools, the customer service, and premade site templates that are optimized for conversion. Before Subbly, I was manually shipping each box by typing addresses and printing individual labels, Subbly helped connect with Shipstation which cuts my ship time tenfold.. I'm confident we will be able to handle that on our own. Subbly also easily facilitates billing...

Cons

I wish there were a bit more flexibility with the site design, there isn't the ability to add sections or move things around- you're somewhat bound to the template they give you. Good news is the templates work. Also, some of the tools can be buggy, but they usually fix bugs quickly.

SH

Sarah H.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

Great Service, Great Product!

I was new to ecommerce and building websites prior to launching my business over the past year. I had a launchpage with another company to start with and then switched to subbly when I was ready to officially launch the business. I chose Subbly based on reviews I read, and I'm so glad I did. Subbly guides you intuitively through many of the steps of setting things up and has so many capabilities - there is so much to think about, I'm so glad that Subbly guides you through the process. I think the platform is pretty straightforward for a non-techy person, and I have really appreciated their excellent customer service when I do have questions. And, I'm so glad they respond quickly and are helpful, respectful, and encouraging to me, the customer.

Pros

I love that the subbly is easy to use and navigate. Great customer service!! I really can't overemphasize how great their customer service is. Every time I have had a question, they reply personally with help (usually within a few hours) and follow up to make sure everything is going well. Also, I love how their responses are always positive and encouraging.

Cons

Hmmm. . . can't really think of anything

CS

Carla S.

Excellent Customer Support.

Subbly Customer Service has been very patient and responsive to my questions and are always willing to find a solution to my problems. Communication is very clear. I am a happy Subbly user.

Pros

I was a complete beginner and was able to design my website, setup my Subscription Box business and run online shop, all with the support of Subbly excellent tutorials and Customer Support.

Cons

As the platform is subscription oriented, it was not so easy to set up my products shop at the beginning, but they are always improving the features and it is a lot easier now.

LP

Louis-Pierre F.

E-Learning, 1-10 employees

Great platform

Pros

Customer support is great. They are always ready to answer your questions.

Cons

Lack some features for larger size business.

AM

Alex M.

Retail, 1-10 employees

New user and love the customer service

Helpful, useful and benefiting my business.

Pros

I recently had to switch over to Subbly from Squarespace due to the subscription limitations with Squarespace. It was a very stressful endeavour but Subbly made it as easy as possible for me. The customer service is so fast and helpful. When I didnt understand something, a rep would take a video for me, using my account, to show me exactly what to do. They made a really difficult situation easier for me.

Cons

One small thing is that I would like to receive emails when my subscribers payments fail due to expired credit cards or overdue balances but this is not currently a feature. The rep I spoke to about this didn't understand the benefit of this for me and tried to justify it, but it doesnt seem like this is something that they will implement.

JW

Jennifer W.

Music, self-employed

Love Subbly

great!

Pros

customer service is impeccable. I know that at any time I have a question it will be answered thoroughly and quickly.

Cons

the website builder is constantly buggy; I often have to contact customer service to fix something from the back end.

JI

Jai I.

Hospitality, 1-10 employees

Great functionality and utility!

Amazing

Pros

Easy service to use for anyone in the small business sector looking to implement a subscription base service

Cons

Subbly may look overwhelming for new users to understand