Adobe Acrobat Reader Logo

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

jotform-4-0
jotform-sign

Super easy editing functions and simple design structure makes it one of a kind. Having the app made it super easy to scan stuff in and convert it to a PDF for work.
It has great editing features and the printing quality features are superb. It also has an option to save as pdf file if you are printing any word/browser files into pdf.
It loads fast and let's me print and save with ease. Very important tool for my buiensess to help me view invoices and contracts.
Doesn’t always function if I’m not the administrator and I can hardly understand the verbiage or wording of it. It’s annoying to use and hate using software that require Abode.
Another problem we have is when the product files get corrupted (and we don't know why).
Many features are not available without upgrading to more expensive versions - my biggest complaint is the lack of editing available in this version.

10,311 reviews

JH

Joseph H.

Personal Support Worker

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

The free version works for what I need

Transcript

Joseph: I'm Joseph. I am a personal support worker. I would rate Adobe Acrobat DC five out of five. And...

Khan Md Mohaiuminul Islam S.

Civil Engineering, 201-500 employees

User friendly with large pdf file, easy to handle

I have been using several pdf readers for a couple of years, when it comes to open a large file I never have seen any other option then adobe acrobat reader. At first, it takes time to open, it’s not an ideal part for me, but when it runs I can not complain about its service. The interface of this software is user friendly, I can find every in my hand when I use it. In the past, when I work for too long, I forgot to save my works, sometimes software crashes. So my advice to save your work-time to time, unless you may lose some of your work.

Pros

Though it takes some time to start in the first place, it can open both large and small files at ease, I can easily operate it not like other pdf readers. Zoom feature is user-friendly and it’s too easy for me to operate. Text editing is another thing I often use to edit my documents. In large file, page rotation is taking very low time in acrobat reader, I mean I can do this in no time. Just like other pdf readers, I can use pdf exporting, margin, editing, organizing, etc with minimum effort.

Cons

Waiting-part! When I open a small or large file it takes too much time to open, they need to make it quick. When I work for too long sometimes it crushes also.

Nicholas L.

Law Practice, self-employed

They Invented The Portable Document Format, their software is still the best

I love Adobe, I trust Adobe with my most important work on a daily basis. They provide limitless tutorials and have a rich community forum of users, and though the creative cloud review is for another day, Adobe has gathered together a very unique and interesting mix of users over the expanse of their products, and its fun to try some of the non-document products as well, an opportunity available to most if not all Acrobat subscribers.

Pros

I use Acrobat Pro DC, and the functionality (i.e. what you can do with the software) far surpasses any competitor's product. The ease with which you can rearrange pages in a document, convert to word, rich text, excel, and other formats , sign and obtain signatures, apply security features like password protection, digital signatures, encryption and the like are robust feature-sets. If you use this...

Cons

I have to have a lot of windows open with Adobe so I can view numerous documents side-by-side across two 27" monitors. Adobe uses a lot of computing resources and can slow down significantly. Given I have 32 GB of RAM, a 6 core 3.85 gigahertz processor and 4gb of dedicated VRAM I think the slowing down is a lack of efficiency in the code.

Sam N.

Widely Used but Otherwise not Very Functional

It is handy to view PDFs I download from other sources, but it's just a viewer unless you want to pay a ridiculous amount of money.

Pros

I do appreciate that we have a widely-used way to view uneditable documents, and PDFs render like an image, so your formatting doesn't change (like it does with Word docs, etc., depending on the device you're viewing/editing them on). I also appreciate the form features, so clients can fill out certain fields created in the document and enter a signature. It's also super helpful for showing layering and bleeds for marketing materials and business cards. Some of the more advanced, premium features are nice too, though you've got to have a big bank account if you want to use them (more about that in Cons).

Cons

There's very little you can do without paying for it. Sometimes I want to combine documents, particularly when I scan them to my computer and the printer every now and then doesn't want to send a huge file, so I have to split it up into 2 scans. If it's for my business, it's just slightly embarrassing and unprofessional to have to send a single document in 2 parts. Spending money just for Adobe Pro seems a little crazy to me. I don't use it for signing/sending often, so I can't justify the ongoing cost. It would be different if I could just purchase the software, but Adobe has gone to subscriptions now, which just don't work for me.

JJ

Justin J.

Accounting, self-employed

Good Document Editing Tool - But Not Necessary

The program is ok, but not necessary for those that edit and merge documents infrequently. I generally prefer to use the free options that are available.

Pros

Abode Acrobat Reader is a good tool for opening and editing pdfs. It is easy to install and easy to use. I use it frequently for e-signatures and to merge pdfs.

Cons

If you don't use this type of program frequently, there are free options that can handle most of the functions that Adobe Acrobat Reader offers. For those with limited needs, Adobe Acrobat Reader is probably not necessary.

Lauren H.

Entertainment, 11-50 employees

Juggling The Act

I believe this application has a lot to offer and has the potential to reach even further. I appreciate its flexibility as a design software and as a business product.

Pros

The one thing I love most about Acrobat Reader DC is its velocity and functionality in editing PDF layouts. Most designers don't realize the importance of having the tools necessary to alter the appearance and elements within the Photo Document. ARDC gives us the opportunity to see the layout as it is and provides the user with the chance to take it even further in design elements, measurements, and color structure.

Cons

I do wish that the snapping to grid and movement of the PDF elements would be more smooth in terms of placing them in new parts of the document.

Francisco Manuel M.

Computer Hardware, 1-10 employees

I keep coming back to Acrobat Reader

I always use it, to open every pdf I have. And because I have some special ebooks who need specifically security plugin, only available to Acrobat.

Pros

I always come back to Acrobat Reader because others fail. This is the most reliable pdf reader, period.

Cons

It is very heavy, and use a lot of resources.

Larisa B.

Building Materials, 1-10 employees

Opens PDF files easily and correctly.

The classic reliable office program for daily use at home and at work.

Pros

How long I have been using Adobe Reader I cannot say for sure. It seems that she was always with me while I was using my personal computer. The program does not require much space, which is also important for me. The interface is understandable for a novice user and it is free software. You can insert all sorts of graphic notes, signatures, notes and comments.

Cons

Reader does not save the appearance and position of panels with layers, additional tools. I couldn't find these settings. The program is in RAM when the Windows system starts up. The module at startup can be disabled manually.

Jesse L.

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Hands Down, the Best PDF Tool Available

Acrobat is well worth the price, and is unbelievably easy to set up and use.

Pros

I love how easy it is to fill, sign and send documents for signatures. I use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC daily to send payment requests to my supervisor. It was very easy to set up and help other team members learn how to sign and submit documents.

Cons

Sometimes I run into errors where I am locked out of my account and unable to use the Sign feature. I have been able to figure out solutions, but these errors halt productivity when they happen, which is rare.

BP

Balabadhruni P.

Education Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

Pros and Cons

Pros

1)It is very useful as it helps lots of students for educational purposes. 2)It can be used for both mobile and we applications. 3)It can do document organization easily.

Cons

1)Need to reduce the cost of subscription. 2)Should add more features to the free version as it helps to grow their installations.

JC

Jérôme C.

Graphic Design, self-employed

Adobe master of PDF

Pros

Leader tool on the market to produce good quality pdf document and quickly edit.

Cons

For the price, options to edit are limited compared now solutions online to modify a document. Indeed, we cannot directly modify the text or the image, simply add other graphics.

DB

Dan B.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

A very user friendly pdf viewer and editor

I love the ease of use for highlighting sections of text - there is no need to be precise, it will automatically select the text. The sticky note function is very clear and easy to read for adding notes.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use for marking up a pdf file, and the fact that pdf files are very common and used everywhere - especially government sites like tax files or application forms.

Cons

The software loads kind of slow most of the time at startup. I have a decent laptop, and other comparable software loads a bit quicker.

JP

Jerry P.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Adobe Acrobat may be the Standard for PDF usage

Adobe Acrobat has been the leading PDF application for as long as i can remember,support has always been very difficult and vague and has been a challenge to overcome throughout the years. As the years went by we have become less dependent on support because of the internet forums.

Pros

i like that the product is free, easy to access from a deployment standpoint. There are many features to choose from if you you use the adobe creative cloud. You can take your pdf documents where ever you have internet access.The ability to zoom and customize the toolbar is much better than in the past.

Cons

I dont like the fact that many of the features must be obtained by having an creative cloud account that is active. There are many other PDF programs out there like Nitro,SourceForge that have many available features that are free, Adobe Acrobat should follow the example of these other pdf apps. I also do not like the GUI of Reader, it is too busy with options and makes a novice and even an advanced user very frustrated with features that arent readily available without using the paid for Software as a Service.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Name one office who does not use Adobe, I can't!

I have been using Adobe since I have been in high school. I am a firm supporter of this software for many reasons. Compared to other software's such as Foxit, Adobe is very easy to manage and create materials. I feel like it protects your content and you are able to share documents in a safe manor. I have not worked for one office that did not use Adobe and/or receive a document that was a Adobe PDF. 10/10 would highly recommend for both work and personal use.

Pros

The feature that is most impactful would have to be the fact that nobody can edit my document when I send the final draft out. With Microsoft Word, anyone could change my document without me even knowing. When using Adobe, if I need any corrections, that person can add a note to what they want to add/correct but they can not alter my document. & it is very visible where they put the notes. I also really like the formatting features Adobe has to offer.

Cons

I didn't like how you had to upgrade to be able to edit a PDF. I feel like that is a general feature that should be included for free. I know that counteracts what I mentioned in my pros but I am not talking about documents I send out. I'm talking about forms that I need patients to complete. If they don't have the upgraded version they are unable to add their information because it looks like they are "editing" the document instead of completing the form.

BT

Bhushan T.

Chemicals, 51-200 employees

King of all PDF readers

One of the best and Top PDF readers in current date, opens and read all types of portable document formats.best for digital asset management, stores many types of content which include text, images, diagrams, maps secure documents, digital signatures etc.

Pros

All types of PDF files can be read without any issue, open most of the PDF formats.One of the trustworthy tool for documents

Cons

Sometimes it gets hung or shows bug while opening high size files

WA

Waleed A.

Hospital & Health Care, 5,001-10,000 employees

the neatest, most stable and fastest reader but

the most neat and clean PDF reader that need some more features

Pros

adobe acrobat reader, just like acrobat itself, is perhaps the most reliable PDF reader. A plethora of readers are available these days and each has it’s own advantagees and disadvantages as i am huge reader and always try alternatives, but with my vast experince, i tel one thing for sure, if you want to choose a reader that works smooth, fast and almost never crashes, and if you don’t want want to...

Cons

the features of this reader are too few compared to some other readers for example foxit PDF. for example, on the iOS version of Adobe reader, it lacks : X text-reflow X crop-mode X text-to-speech etc it also displays files in an odd way if the document has non-standard width-to-length ratio. it does not correct this to fill up the screen so the document looks weird. on PC version, zoom feature will make up for this though. finally, lack of third paty cloud support is sad. for the paid version ,you have to pay more compared to the most famous rival ie foxit phantomPDF

samuel t.

Graphic Design, self-employed

Free, Easy to Use and it Gets the Job Done

Acrobat Reader has been my only PDF reader since I started using PC. Even when I changed to another option, I always find myself not satisfied. Acrobat Reader is exactly what you need if you need a software that can edit a PDF file, convert your PDF file to another format, create PDF from images and other features that you will find amazing. The interface is easy to understand, no complicated functions that will take you time to learn. The paid version give access to some complex functions but if you don’t need them, you don’t have to paid for the service, the free version works just great.

Pros

Acrobat Reader makes interaction with PDF files an easy thing. No technical experience needed, doesn’t matter if you are familiar with any adobe software, Acrobat Reader is very easy to use. Acrobat Reader is most popular for the ability to Edit PDF files, a remarkable experience if you ask, this feature have been very useful for my business, as a graphic designer that work on cover design, I have...

Cons

My first complaint about Acrobat Reader will be the big gap between the Free version and the Paid version. The free version only handle basic functions while the Paid version however offers complex functions which are thing you might need on a daily basis. Also the software is a little slow when dealing with big files. I noticed that opening of cover designs are mostly slow, the software reads the file’s layers one after the other, which will take few seconds to complete depending on the file’s size.

DO

David O.

Printing, 51-200 employees

Solid PDF Work Flow Tool

Overall, I feel that Acrobat Reader is a good tool especially for those that don't need to do much with PDFs other than read or store them. If you need to do any editing, you will be disappointed. The full blown version of Acrobat is your solution then. It is not perfect either, but it will allow you to better function in a world that uses PDFs more everyday.

Pros

Being both a graphic designer and working on the sales and logistics side of my company, I use Acrobat all day for a variety of purposes. I am constantly working with PDFs from artwork to sales proposals, to freight quotes to internal company documents. Acrobat Reader lets communicate in the basic language of grahpic design and business communciatoin which is the PDF. It lets me email critical information contained in electronic files so I can distribute them to customers, suppliers or team members or so I can file them just for my own record keeping.

Cons

I do have some issues with the editing features/tools found in Acrobat Reader so I use the full version of Acrobat more regularly. I do wish the Adobe formatted Acrobat to function and appear more like both Illustrator and InDesign. This is not a major flaw as most people don't have the familiarity with those programs as I do. I just find that Adobe should try to make its products more similar than they do at this time so you don't seem to move out of the Adobe world when moving between their graphic design apps.

AC

Adiola C.

Farming, 51-200 employees

Acrobat reader DC a very useful tool

As an Accounts Clerk , Acrobat reader helps me with easier access to suppliers invoices . it also enables me to make some changes to farmer's contract forms . The software can be installed in my mobile phone that can help me work on my documents from home even without a desktop, thus saving me a lot of time and stress.

Pros

I started using Acrobat reader when I began my ACCA program. I use it to open my PDF notes. Acrobat reader is the most fast, reliable and easy software which enables me to access my notes in a very quick way. Acrobat reader has a number of helpful tools such as zoom in and out which enables me to reduce or increase the size of text and page in order to read my notes clearly. It also has a search function...

Cons

Apart from a lot of benefits that comes with using Acrobat reader , there are very few disadvantages. It requires skills in order to use it efficiently. Users with little or no experience may find it very difficult to open a document and make some changes to it. Acrobat Reader also has a mini floating toolbar beneath its page which usually disappear when the user wants to put it in the upper bar , this can make it a little harder for the user to to use as well as deactivate it especially users with little experience with the software

Consumer Goods, self-employed

Getting better by the month

VERY easy to use, extremely handy program that works on many platforms, ie. PC, Mac, mobile phone - Android and iPhone. Even though I only personally use it for quite basic operations, I'm sure that someone in an office environment, such as accounting or administration and most certainly, the graphics type industries, would find Adobe Reader DC very useful and user-friendly indeed.

Pros

Easy to use Fill and Sign function allowing tiff or jpeg files of your signature to be added and are then legal. Companies that send you editable PDFs allow for quick filling in of forms and returning them. So many programs now offer 'Save as PDF' so this program will quickly open them for you to browse/edit. When saving to PDF in pro version (I believe) you can save with Password Protection which you then send to only the person you wish to view the document. This adds quite a good level of security for sensitive documents. The icon sub menu is quite good also with features such as Print, Save to Adobe Document Cloud, Find Text (magnifying glass), Add Sticky Note, Highlight Text, Add Sticky Note, Sign and Edit Text. Clicking on the Tools menu offers you even more.

Cons

When using on older computers, the opening and scrolling times can be quite long. It's yet another in the growing list of programs that offer you the option of Saving to the 'Cloud'. So unless you are totally fine with submitting your documents to a server somewhere ... anywhere ... in the world that you (probably) don't know where it actually is, then go for it. I personally use my own storage space which is getting cheaper by the day, value-for-capacity wise.

RT

Ricky T.

Pharmaceuticals, 11-50 employees

Must have for anyone who work with documents!

Not sure how business can function without Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. It essential for us to manage and create PDF documents. Definitely a must-have!

Pros

It's an essential software needed for documents. Here are a few I find the most useful: 1. I prepare a lot of documents with form fields in Microsoft Word first and convert them into PDF. Using the Prepare Form tool which automatically detects form fields and puts text fields is such a helpful feature and such a time saver. Feels like an auto form-fill creator. I can't imagine spending time manually...

Cons

1. There are times it glitches/freezes/crashes, but not often 2. The most irritating thing for me when using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is when I'm trying to set the zoom level for multiple bookmarks. For some reason, you need to select each individual bookmark and manually select the zoom level. There should be a feature where sets the zoom level for all bookmarks to be the same. Or be able to select all bookmarks and set the zoom level. I've seen plugins where you can buy at a hefty price to do this feature. But I don't understand why it isn't built into the system already.

SK

Siddharth K.

Education Management, self-employed

Best free pdf reader

Good for most of the people who just use this to read pdf files and some basic stuff. User interface is off-course it plus point and I like it most among any competitor. Its UI is really impressive. Its free version is comes with very basic features though the premium version have all the things. But the only point where I find Adobe behind its competitors is in OCR and conversion. Conversion from...

Pros

The user interface is most attractive for this. After latest updates, its UI improves very much and is unique with any other competitors. All other competitors are adopting MS Office like ribbon interface while adobe blend the ribbon functionality with its UI in such a way that it ribbon bar is like a title bar which have only essential options. But for basic user who just want to read pdf file, it is best option available there. But for an advance user you must have to go for premium plan which is most costly in the market.

Cons

Limitation with free version makes is very basic, and can only be used for very basic purposes and ideal for most of the people. But for mid to advance user free version have nothing to offer and also its OCR is much weaker than it competitors.

Jose de Jesus R.

My experience using Acrobat Reader DC

Pros

Due to the degree of confidentiality of the information I handle at the institutional level, I require a versatile tool, Acrobat Reader DC, this very clean, simple, minimized version, gives me everything I need to access PDF documents in a quick and easy way. well organized, the technical staff of Adobe has reimbentado the tool, making some major changes to the organization of how to access the documents,...

Cons

This great tool has few disadvantages, despite having well-organized tools, the user with little experience can be a little difficult to know that when opening a document is activated the option of tools at the top, and the click there you will see the large amount of available tools, which are very useful to edit a document or to add some text, as well as protect it. It also has a mini floating toolbar in the lower part, which can disappear if we want it to be anchored in the upper part, it can be uncomfortable for some users to use this floating bar, as well as to deactivate the bar, but it depends on each user and his experience.

Hiran T.

Oil & Energy, 10,001+ employees

This PDF reader software loaded with features, functions and essential.

This PDF reader software is great in terms of features, functions and relailbe.

Pros

Read Out Loud option is helpful when the user faces difficulties in reading lengthy paragraphs. One can use a digital signature to document sign the document. The comment option helps the user in inserting the comments in the particular place of the document. View option helps the user to display the document in particular rotate view, double-page view and zoom. Light mode and dark mode themes are available. The user interface is simple and user friendly. Adobe provides a cloud location where the user can easily upload and view it. Find option helps in locating the required keywords.

Cons

The customer support needs to improve the response and resolution time. Need to provide flexible price plans. Read Out Loud option activation is time-consuming and also crashes sometimes. The software is a bit late responsive in transition and functioning in lower configured work stations.

Gerald W.

Entertainment, self-employed

Excellent PDF reader with added features

Adobe Acrobat Reader is extremely useful for me. It's free. The Chrome extension has many useful features which satisfy most of my PDF needs, especially merging, rotating, signing, etc. I'd recommend it as a good place to start for someone looking for a simple, useful PDF tool.

Pros

PDF Reader is a free Adobe program that appears to have improved and added many new features in the past couple of years. The basic downloadable program is good for viewing, printing and signing PDFs. The free Chrome extension is extremely useful and seems to offer many more functions like Rotate, Merge, Edit, Reorder pages, etc. Previously one would have to go to free online sites to get those functions. I'm a pretty limited user and have little need to create PDFs or edit PDFs. But I do use many of the extra features available with the free Chrome extension and would highly recommend it. Also, if you set up a free Adobe account you can keep your PDFs in the cloud which for some people can be handy if you don't have Dropbox, Onedrive or another cloud storage program.

Cons

In truth, for a free program, I don't have many complaints. I've tried other free PDF Readers and have always ended coming back to Adobe. One feature I don't think it has is converting a non fillable PDF form into a fillable one, which would be quite useful. Adding more functions would always be welcome, but then Adobe would be cannibalizing its paid programs.

MH

Matthew H.

Government Administration, 1-10 employees

Extremely Useful and Easy to Understand

We use this in a government setting in which transmission of both large and small volume documents of clarity and consistency are essential. It is a testament to the reliability of the product that over the course of several years since implementation of this product we have not had a single situation in which customer service was required to be contacted. I would recommend this product to any office which requires consistency and near perfect high definition images for storage and transmission.

Pros

Ease of use is a major factor for me and my staff. From the time the user clicks on the icon to the pulling up and management of images it is virtually a seamless and effortless task. Seldom is a software product this easy and reliable to use. In my work environment is has been and I expect it to be the industry standard as the level of user productivity achieved by the user raises the bar so high. I use it for may applications from document storage to transmission. I have never had a problem storing a quality image or with a recipient receiving a first rate image and being able to open and store or transfer it with ease.

Cons

It is difficult to find fault with this product. The only shortcoming, which may not be associated with the program itself is that certain traditional photocopy images may appear unduly dark in acrobat format necessitating a lighter than normal copy be made from a traditional photocopier, but this is only an incidental issue as overall quality and clarity of the images is exceptional and consistent.