CloudApp Reviews

Review Summary

Pros

Good service to share details with your team giving design feedback, commenting system is good to discuss the design, great tool to get your tech tutorials more attractive.

Rithvik P.

For those who share their screen a lot, CloudApp is a godsend. But even for the rest of us, the app helps​ us explain better with easy to share screen captures.

Jeffry T.

Daniel K.

Cons

I dislike the time limit because it rushed me and without a mouse doing a demonstration screenshot is very difficult.

Sometimes I've had issues with my graphics card kicking in and the interruption makes my CloudApp video crash. Haven't had that for a while though.

Joseph S.

There no way to set a pre-defined area to shoot.

Mayo L.

One of the few apps I use every single day...essential for devs or for digital life!

Pros

They have trialled and tested this product a lot; that is obvious. It is ridiculously easy to use and offers the ability to create animated gifs, screengrab video (with or without use of your webcam and mic to record your face and voice) and screengrabs which you can annotate. The software sits quietly in the background not using too many resources until you know you need it and the easy shortcuts can help you get going. I use a lot of the images and animated gifs for interactive training materials and plans.

Cons

The only thing I wish you could do with CloudApp is choose the default copy type after you have taken a screengrab, video or GIF. Right now, the software auto copies the link to the image / video but there are other options including copy a direct link (so just the image on a page without editing options etc.) and a copy to the content iself (ie. if you take a screengrab you can copy the image directly into documents and emails). It would be ideal if you could chose which of these the software does by default to make it even more convenient. Other than that, the software could not be better!

Lightweight but Powerful

It's been great. My team is constantly sharing screenshots or files with each other and as an admin of the account, I can see everything. It's also nice to be able to upload screenshots or proofs and send a link directly to the client. One of the features I like most is we have our domain set to a custom short domain instead of the cl.ly default domain. This helps us look professional and keep everything branded.

Pros

I've used CloudApp since 2012 including some of their paid plans. It's easy to install the app and it only takes up a small space in my menu bar. I love how easy it is to upload by dragging and dropping or manually selecting a file. It's also nice that they'll host your files on their servers so even years later, I can find old files and share them again.

Cons

Over the years they started to make features only for paid accounts which forced people to pay for the app. It's a minor inconvenience for us since we use it in a web development agency, and it's a crucial part of our sharing workflow, but that could potentially turn people away and make them use alternative apps like Dropbox.

Great tool. Worst support ever

It's a great to do screenshot easily, but the support team is not supportive.

Pros

When the tool it's extremely simple to use.

Cons

The customer team is inexistent, you can spend weeks with critical bugs not being solved

My most used tool on a day-to-day basis

This is my online tool that has given me the best ROI. My friends commonly ask me "where did you get that app"

Pros

CloudApp has saved me hours in editing screenshots. Also, I commonly need to show my team how to do a certain task, and that´s where I use CloudApp to tape short tutorials that I can share in seconds. It has been my most used app in this pandemic.

Cons

theres is nothing that I have disliked so far

Cloudapp is amazing for communication between engineers, designers, and pms.

Better teamwork/communication overall, especially for front-end development work. Also more flexibility for remote work (working from home for sickness/weather/holiday season).

Pros

I love how fast everything gets generated and how easy it is to use. I work on the frontend team at my company, and I'm always sending videos and gifs to our designer for product review, as well as to our PM when filing issues. It's incredibly helpful to be able to take a quick video to show navigation flow, testing results, and edge cases, and it's way easier to have a visual than it is to explain things in technical terms. It's also wicked useful for remote work-- holiday season has made things kind of funky with everyone working from home, but I don't feel like I've lost on communication this time of year thanks to Cloudapp.

Cons

There are times I wish I could annotate or crop videos. I will say though, Cloudapp has been great about steadily adding features, so I'm not too worried/it's not even a pressing issue haha.

How I use CloudApp everyday in my Sales Job

For someone in sales, this is an indispensable tool. It makes my life easier, and the ease of dropping its images captured anywhere (in Slack, into an email, etc.) is why I keep using it day after day.

Pros

So this is one tool I cannot live without. The ability to take a screen grab, write on it to illustrate and highlight important points, helps me do my job much easier than in the past where I would have to re-create an image. More importantly, it is a time saver, which is the value prop that the CloudApp team touts.

Cons

There are times when glitches happen and I have to redo a step, it is inconvenient but not a show stopper.

CloudApp will solve all your screen capture needs and more.

I love CloudApp, despite the fact of it being a paid service, I see the value it can bring to big businesses with lots of back and forth communication on a daily basis.

Pros

I love the link-sharing features where you can just take a screenshot and share it with anyone via just a short link without much more effort than copy & paste. One great thing about it is that you can even record your screen for a short period of time and also share it/

Cons

I don't like that this is a paid service that comes with a little do a high mark for what it does since you can also just use the keyboard commands to capture anything and share it another way rather than a link.

Best tool for screenshots, videos and gifs

CloudApp skyrocket collaboration with my team. Everything going much faster than before.

Pros

I use Cloudapp daily basis with my team and collaborators. The functionality of this app is more than great, every screenshot or GIF you create can be shared very quickly via sharable link.

Cons

I think I like almost every aspect of this app. More space on the free plan always warmly welcomed.

The handiest tool for image capture

It is one of the handiest tools in my online toolbox and saves me a lot of time now that I don't have to clip screenshots and then save them as images and upload them to an email. Now i can just paste the URL of the screenshot for anyone to see immediately

Pros

It is simple to use and makes sharing discoveries and problems with your team or with a support team so much easier

Cons

The Windows app has previously been a bit unstable and did not work properly for a while but recent updates have cured this.

Complete Sharing - Head to Toe!

Pros

Cloudapp replaces the system screenshot macro (If you want it) which makes integration into current workflows seamless. Cloudapps mark up and quick edit tools are actually useful, and fast! Custom domains for the links you're providing. Asset expiration. Photo, video, GIF.

Cons

There's nothing I don't like about Cloudapp. It does what it says and it does it well. I'm glad to have Cloudapp installed and use it easily hundreds of times a day.

All 28 people on my team use CloudApp! Screenshots & grabs are a 2nd language now.

CloudApp is one of only three apps everyone on my team uses (along with Slack and Gmail). New hires see us all using it constantly in chat, on Github pull requests, in bug 'repro' steps, over email, and in presentations, so they gravitate toward it and pick it up quick. Over chat the screen recordings do an amazing job of demoing bits and pieces of UI or app behavior that are works-in-progress....

Pros

CloudApp upgrades habits we all have using desktop software (copy-paste and taking screenshots). You don't have to learn anything new--your habit suddenly just works better, and you can never go back.

Cons

Hi Jeremy, This is Derek from CloudApp. I work with Julie. Thank you thank you thank you for this review! It is incredible and VERY appreciated! Thank you thank you thank you! Best, Derek VP of Marketing / CloudApp

Big fan, love it!!

I'm a huge fan of CloudApp. Been using them for the last 6 months. Started out where a few of my team members in the customer support team were using it, so I jumped in to give it a try too. At first I was just using it to take a few screenshots here and there, but what ended up being hugely helpful in my day to day support workflow was being able to answer our customers questions with a quick custom...

Pros

1) Huge time saver. 2) A much easier way to show my team (or friends) a visual to answer a question. 3) Works extremely well in my support team

Cons

1) It doesn't have a Gmail/Chrome integration. 2) They don't have a great mobile app. There's a few in the App Store but none of them give as good as an experience as their Mac desktop app.

Thank you Carl for your amazing review! It is greatly appreciated. Best, Derek Rey / CloudApp

One of my favorite apps

Its a great little app that really helps my productivity. I would put in in my top 5 favorite tools I use daily. Not terribly expensive, and the monthly fee pays fro itself quickly.

Pros

CloudApp is one of the most handy tools for sending email attachments - even videos. Im a Mac user so it sits in my top toolbar. I simply drag in the attachment(s) and it creates the archive and link automatically. Not only that it copies the link to your clipboard so you can just paste it right into your email. It will "ding" and then you know its uploaded and ready to share. Short videos are really easy to make as well but selecting a screen area, pressing start and you ready to go.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that some servers detect the links as spam or untrusted. So in some cases the link will not work. Not sure why this happens but think there are some using the cloud app service who may be abusing it, thereby flagging spam filters. Ive tried to add a custom domain to the short link it creates (service allows this) but it does not seem to help this problem.

Job (and life) changing

CloudApp has made adding screenshots and images to my blog posts incredibly easy. CloudApp has made giving additional context to colleagues simple by giving us the ability to take a screenshot of what we're talking about on the site. I have nothing negative to say about this tool other than it's set my expectations for similar tools so high that I'm usually disappointed by them.

Pros

It's incredibly easy to use and reliable. You can take a simple screenshot, a gif, a video, and annotate it all within the app. It's quick, it's versatile, and it's incredibly functional. I use this tool every day, for every blog post, and for a number of different things. As a sales rep I used it for entirely different but equally important tasks.

Cons

The only thing I wish I could do that I currently cannot is to go back into an annotation I've made after I saved. Sometimes I realize I've forgotten to note something, drawn a border incorrectly, or some other minor edit and am unable to go back into the original screenshot/gif to fix it. It's not a terribly big issue because of how simple it is to go back and take another screenshot or gif.

A must for Support team

I have implemented the tool for our Support team and before this I have done research of similar tools. Cloudapp had the best features, better price and a great support/customer success team which made it easy to implement.

Pros

With one simple shortcut you can create a screencast (Video or GIF), screenshot (with or without annotation) and send to your users in chat. Cloudapp has greatly increased our Support teams productivity. It is also very useful for building reports or knowledge base internally as you can simply drag and drop the screenshots or screencasts to Atlassian. Very helpful when creating internal documentation for other agents.

Cons

It would be a great addition if the video screencast would also record audio (like screenflow) as sometimes we need the audio recorded as well which is happening on screen when trouble shooting or recording bugs related to the product.

Quick, easy, neat, I feel like a pro!

I can quickly get my thoughts across to customers and team members. It's simple and fast. I really couldn't go a day without it.

Pros

It's quick to load and the fact that the link absorbs into the clipboard is SO easy and fast. There are multiple ways to use it - downloads, webcam vids, screenshare vids with voice, GIFs of screen, images, annotations. Really - there are SO many ways to up your game in social and customer care by using CloudApp.

Cons

Small screenshots don't always come out readable without clicking on them and waiting to see what it is. The head of the arrow in the Annotations is super huge and I often have to find workarounds when I'd really like to use it. It would be cool to shrink it width-wise along with length-wise. I wish you could copy/paste annotation components (arrows that you've sized a certain way, text, etc.) Click on the element, ctrl+c, ctrl+v I wish there was a solid box in annotations that you could add. There's an outline, but not a solid box or circle that I've discovered.

A must have tool

I loved it and I doubt a week goes by when I do not use it multiple times.

Pros

This is one of those tools that many people won't realize they need until they get used to using it. Yes, if you work in a support team then the usage case is obvious, and it excels at support, but it is so much more than that. How often do you have to try to explain something to someone and it takes forever in words, but a quick screenshot would do the trick. Problem with a screenshot is you have...

Cons

The only little niggle is there are very occasionally glitches or outages, but to Cloudapps credit they do get them sorted and they are very polite at responding to emails.

My to go app for screen capturing

One of my best buys so far. Worth every penny and I recommend it to everyone all the time.

Pros

I got it on sale. It lets me use my own branding and subdomain. It's light on any computer even my slow laptop. Frequent updates and new features. Customer service is super responsive. It's like an online database of all my screenshots vs my older to go software which would only take a screenshot and save it on my local computer.

Cons

There has been a problem with the annotate tool on Firefox on both my home computer and my laptop which prevents me from annotating any of my screenshots but I haven't really contacted customer service about it. It might be related to a plugin on my browser or something. But I don't really use that feature that's why I don't bother asking customer service about it.

Huge savings in productivity.

I am a Product Manager and often, due to the speed at which we work and the people I work with, words are not the best medium to convey thoughts when you discover snags or bugs. Developers are busy people and want to build things and move on. CloudApp lets me visually capture product behavior to explain desired functionality, in the form of videos and gifs and thus speed up communication within my team. I really love the tool.

Pros

The ability to capture screenshots and annotate them with comments or arrows. The ability to capture videos as well as gifs has enabled me to be more productive. As a Product Manager, I can enhance my documentation efforts by bringing in a visual component to requirements and bug descriptions. It has helped me writing feature walkthroughs as well as explain competitive product offerings to my team.

Cons

Every once in a while, I have observed that the tool's library shows captured screenshots which I hadn't intended to capture. It may be due to the fact that the shortcut keys on the keyboard (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+5) are close to a frequently used shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+Del). It's either that or maybe it's just...fat fingers!

Great application to share screenshots and screen captures

The ability to send ad-hoc screenshots and screen shares very quickly and easily to customers makes it so much easily to assist and help troubleshoot customer issues. Highly recommended for any customer support team.

Pros

Software is very easy to use. Use it to take screenshots and send them through to customers with a shortened personalized URL. You can also use it to take screen captures, as well as annotate and edit screenshots (ie. adding arrows, circles around important parts of a screenshot).

Cons

Software does one thing very well, not much to dislike about it. Just need to learn the shortcut to copy your screenshot and then the software automatically uploads the image to the cloud and saves a link in your clipboard to paste into what ever application you want to use to send that link.

CloudApp Just Works

I enjoy using CloudApp several times each day. You can set a custom domain to maintain branding across all links. It's easy to share a link and, if you wish, to download the linked file directly. It's not the only link shortening/sharing app out there, but it is clearly one of the best.

Pros

Once installed, CloudApp works very well, with options for creating GIFs, recording video and more. There are integrations right out of the box for Trello and Slack, and a variety of ways to annotate and share.

Cons

I use Droplr, too, and in some ways I still prefer its UI/UX, though CloudApp has improved by leaps and bounds over the past year or so. It's been recently bought by Microsoft—which can be a good thing or a bad thing (consider the Wunderlist saga). Time will tell.

An essential tool that speeds up productivity in the easiest way possible - a perfect combination

It saves me a lot of time, making me much more productive.

Pros

The simplicity and utility, mixed with the time-saving logic-steps are what makes this tool so exceptional. Simplicity; using simple (or user-defined) shortcut keys to capture parts of a screen as an image or video. Simplicity; dragging any file onto a system tray icon to have it uploaded to CloudApp storage. Simplicity; after a file has been uploaded, simply paste the auto selected link wherever you want to share it. Utility; screenshotting, screen recording, file storage, file sharing, annotation, commenting; it's all there! Logic-steps; auto upload and copy link to clipboard, auto-open into desktop annotation; these kinds of time-savers are well thought out, seamless and really help my workflow.

Cons

It'd tough to find anything but if I HAD to it'd be that, at least in previous versions of the desktop app, it was buggy; the auto-open for annotations didn't always work. That seems to have been resolved now though!

Best drag-and-drop file sharing solution

CloudApp simplifies our workflow when we need to share screenshots and files to people outside of our organization. We highly recommend it!

Pros

The reason we chose CloudApp is the MacOS integration in the menu bar. We used WeTransfer before, which required us to go to their website to upload files, but CloudApp allows us to just drag and drop our files to the menu bar, and it creates a shareable link for us.

Cons

CloudApp successively increased its pricing, without much justification and added features. I was quite disappointed to see the lack of new features over the last 2-3 years. Also, storage prices dramatically decreased over time, so it's hard to understand why they keep increasing their prices.

This powerful screen capture and recording program has a new home on my desktop.

Pros

I'm a former Snagit user that recently picked up CloudApp on an Appsumo deal. I'm glad I did, because this software has essentially replaced Snagit and helped me communicate ideas quickly with everyone including clients, customers, family and friends. The software sits in your system tray and allows 1 click recording or capturing of GIFs, video or screen. And once the capture is taken, it automatically uploads it and copies the link to your clipboard. Other helpful features include... Analytics Link shortening Annotations Search feature (priceless) Comments (can be disabled) Sync If you need a quick way to record screens and share them, this is it.

Cons

I don't have any cons to list on this one. Everything from the UI to the features are well designed and operate properly.

Amazing App, I Wish There Was More 3rd Party Support

Pros

In the cloud storage game, it's hard to battle against giants like Google Drive, Dropbox, Amazon, and Box. But CloudApp is a spectacular cloud storage option that allows customization of the URL for links, privacy settings with either passwords or expiration dates, easy upload and share, almost everything you could want.

Cons

Being that it is much smaller, it often goes overlooked by other services. I would love to see more places have CloudApp integration like they do Dropbox. While CloudApp is my preference, I end up still needing Dropbox or Drive because of the integrations and accessibility offered by those services.