CloudApp Reviews

Pros

Overall its been a win for me and people are impressed when I share a video instead of just typing a response to a question they may have.

Karen H.

Easy of use, great features for screenshots. CloudApp provide great features to store pictures and integrate easily them in blog posts, with responsive sizing.

RG

Romain G.

DK

Daniel K.

Cons

I made a honest mistake, I was late with cancellation for just one day and they essentially stole my $1000. I don't really know how else to call it other than stealing.

Dmitry S.

Jason B.

There no way to set a pre-defined area to shoot.

Mayo L.

Screen recordings with polish

Transcript

Lucas: Hi, I'm Lucas. I'm a project manager in educational publishing and I'd give CloudApp a five out...

The app that saves me the most time all day long!

I am happy with the service and sales team as well as the support staff to fix any issues. They are top notch and doing the right things for a great app.

Pros

I like that I can screenshare or share videos with one simple click. It is easy to use and to share with support or others you need to show them on your desktop.

Cons

I dislike that it sometimes crashes during the middle or recording especially if the recording is longer than 10 minutes. This may be a bug.

Screen recordings with polish

CloudApp makes it easy to record and share screen recordings, either as GIFs or as videos. I particularly like the optional picture-in-picture mode, and I found that this app worked with fewer limitations than alternatives.

Pros

I have used competitors whose styling mimics CloudApp (or is it the other way around) but CloudApp gets the recording experience right: intuitive controls, automatic uploading, and available trimming of videos.

Cons

This app doesn't work so well as a simple screenshot tool. While you can copy content directly from the app, I find myself wishing for the simpler experience of older apps such as Greenshot and Lightshot. In addition, the free version is fairly limited, though still good enough for occasional users.

Love it - it improved a lot, can't imaging working without it now!

I use CloudApp on daily basis and it is very convenient and right now, during the Covid pandemic, it's probably the best way to provide updates to my co-workers.

Pros

It is a convenient way to quickly record yourself, your screen, or both. The fact that the recorded videos are automatically uploaded and the only thing I have to do is send the link to my co-workers is very helpful. CloudApp has become my number one way to communicate with my team.

Cons

The dedicated app seems to have a problem with my operating system, I needed to adjust a few things in order for it to work. In my experience, the browser version works better, however, I still encounter some problems, for instance, sometimes the app does not record my microphone sound, it happens very rarely but it can get quite annoying at times.

Worst Customer Service I have ever experienced

We have been cloudapp customers for more than two years with 16 purchased seats. Lately we downsized because of corona and I was planning to reduce those seats to 5. Unfortunately I missed renewal window by one day, i.e. it has been renewed yesterday and I removed unused seats today. Then I contacted their customer support asking for refund. They said they don't give refunds for whatever reason. Yes, I understand it's in their terms and conditions, but it does not matter, it is still the worst customer service I have ever seen. Mistakes happen. I made a honest mistake, I was late with cancellation for just one day and they essentially stole my $1000+. I don't really know how else to call it other than stealing.

Pros

I somewhat liked the software itself, even though it's pricey and there are plenty of alternatives.

Cons

They don't have any customer service, what they have are account managers who always try to upsell you.

THE tool if you work with a lot of support and development teams

Sometimes getting the right screenshot, saving it, and uploading it to a ticket is a royal pain. I use cloudapp all the time to shoot video or screenshots of product bugs and add the url to the ticket. Not only to I have them saved, I get an alert as soon as the developer or support team reviews the content. I also love the animated gif feature and use it all the time when communicating product updates.

Pros

Ability to do a screenshot, annotate or take video. I don't have to download or save it, just grab the url that's automatically added to by clipboard and drop it where I need it. I love that I get an instant alert once it's been accessed. Being able to quickly make an animated gif is SUPER helpful for marketing and customer support functions.

Cons

The interface is a little slow at time and the the controls are on the smaller side so you have to be careful what you click on.

CloudApp is Superb!

CloudApp allows me to easily share instructional content with customers. It's extremely helpful and a great tool. I'd recommend it to anyone who needs to answer customer questions or troubleshoot frequently.

Pros

CloudApp is so great and easy to use. I can share videos of my screen or create GIFs to send to clients so quickly. It is extremely helpful in making sure I can get a point across easily with no friction or confusion. The ability to create clips and share them out is great.

Cons

I wish I had a few more options with how my video of myself talking interacts with the shared content. There are also a few aspects of the screen grabbing tool that weren't as intuitive as I was hoping.

Do NOT use for Markeitng unreliable

See above. I'm so upset with what happened and your customer support is terrible. I could not get hold of anyone. I want my money refunded for the upgrade that did not work.

Pros

I use screencast o Matic and cloud app I had a massive launch video and decided to use the system. ***** BAD MOVE **** They only have a 2 gig limit and my first 280 views blew my data and left my 11,564 with a message NO MORE DATA CONTACT USER> What a pain in the arse! Thanks, guys, you left me to deal with 100's of emails to deal with. So, I paid for an immediate upgrade. You tool my money. and It didn't work. Would I use you again, NO. Not for any B to C. No way.

Cons

The customer service and chat support is terrible. The earliest I could get hold of someone was 2 days by making a time to meet someone. I needed help URGENTLY and not one reply.

Easy GIFs, Screenshots, Videos

I have been a fan since day one! It is very intuitive and makes it incredibly easy to share content with users or teammates.

Pros

We use CloudApp on a regular basis because of its ease of use for both users and customers. We mainly use it for support, helping users of our product understand where to find certain features, and making quick recordings for our help center articles or guides. I love how I get notified when users view my clips.

Cons

Depending on how long the recording is, it can take some time to upload. I also wish there were a few more options to annotate, but for the most part, it is pretty customizable.

Excellent way to share recordings or screen captures when a call isn't possible

I use it every day to share screenshots and recordings with clients and colleagues.

Pros

CloudApp is a lifesaver on a daily basis! I use it to make sure I'm understanding I'm on the same page as my clients, to send screenshots to help instruct them on how to use something, or to collaborate with my teammates. I absolutely love that it automatically copies the link for you to paste into an email or Slack too. For such a simple software it absolutely crushes it!

Cons

I feel like screenshot or video editing can be a little buggy at times. Sometimes it won't save the changes I make which can be annoying to have to go back and re-do them.

Super easy Screen Recording

Overall, I've had nothing but great experiences with CloudApp. It's super easy to use and great at what it does. I have seen other tools come across my desk and have tried a few, but nothing has convinced me to move to another tool.

Pros

I use this all the time to send quick 'training' videos to my team and the product has been continually updated to include different styles of recording. Never had an issue. I also like knowing when the team member has viewed the video (and in many cases, watched it multiple times).

Cons

Nothing really to speak negatively about. It does log me out more frequently than I'd like, probably every 2 weeks or so and I have to log back in (minor inconvenience).

All 28 people on my team use CloudApp! Screenshots & grabs are a 2nd language now.

CloudApp is one of only three apps everyone on my team uses (along with Slack and Gmail). New hires see us all using it constantly in chat, on Github pull requests, in bug 'repro' steps, over email, and in presentations, so they gravitate toward it and pick it up quick. Over chat the screen recordings do an amazing job of demoing bits and pieces of UI or app behavior that are works-in-progress....

Pros

CloudApp upgrades habits we all have using desktop software (copy-paste and taking screenshots). You don't have to learn anything new--your habit suddenly just works better, and you can never go back.

Cons

Hi Jeremy, This is Derek from CloudApp. I work with Julie. Thank you thank you thank you for this review! It is incredible and VERY appreciated! Thank you thank you thank you! Best, Derek VP of Marketing / CloudApp

Big fan, love it!!

I'm a huge fan of CloudApp. Been using them for the last 6 months. Started out where a few of my team members in the customer support team were using it, so I jumped in to give it a try too. At first I was just using it to take a few screenshots here and there, but what ended up being hugely helpful in my day to day support workflow was being able to answer our customers questions with a quick custom...

Pros

1) Huge time saver. 2) A much easier way to show my team (or friends) a visual to answer a question. 3) Works extremely well in my support team

Cons

1) It doesn't have a Gmail/Chrome integration. 2) They don't have a great mobile app. There's a few in the App Store but none of them give as good as an experience as their Mac desktop app.

Thank you Carl for your amazing review! It is greatly appreciated. Best, Derek Rey / CloudApp

One of my favorite apps

Its a great little app that really helps my productivity. I would put in in my top 5 favorite tools I use daily. Not terribly expensive, and the monthly fee pays fro itself quickly.

Pros

CloudApp is one of the most handy tools for sending email attachments - even videos. Im a Mac user so it sits in my top toolbar. I simply drag in the attachment(s) and it creates the archive and link automatically. Not only that it copies the link to your clipboard so you can just paste it right into your email. It will "ding" and then you know its uploaded and ready to share. Short videos are really easy to make as well but selecting a screen area, pressing start and you ready to go.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that some servers detect the links as spam or untrusted. So in some cases the link will not work. Not sure why this happens but think there are some using the cloud app service who may be abusing it, thereby flagging spam filters. Ive tried to add a custom domain to the short link it creates (service allows this) but it does not seem to help this problem.

Works great at picture and video recording

My experience with CloudApp has been very positive. it's easy to use and the automatically cloud save feature means I never lose my work. The ability to group media together and share it as collections has resulted in some really positive client reactions.

Pros

CloudApp provides easy-to-access (via the system tray in Windows) screenshot and video recording ability that automatically uploads to the cloud for easy sharing. I've found it invaluable for taking quick information screengrabs that I can send to clients to show them how to do something, as well as for capturing stuff that I need to send to teammates for information.

Cons

It can occasionally crash or hang, and you have to restart it to get it to work again. The user interface for the video recording can feel a bit clunky and hard to understand at first, but once you get the hang of it, it ends up working fine.

Job (and life) changing

CloudApp has made adding screenshots and images to my blog posts incredibly easy. CloudApp has made giving additional context to colleagues simple by giving us the ability to take a screenshot of what we're talking about on the site. I have nothing negative to say about this tool other than it's set my expectations for similar tools so high that I'm usually disappointed by them.

Pros

It's incredibly easy to use and reliable. You can take a simple screenshot, a gif, a video, and annotate it all within the app. It's quick, it's versatile, and it's incredibly functional. I use this tool every day, for every blog post, and for a number of different things. As a sales rep I used it for entirely different but equally important tasks.

Cons

The only thing I wish I could do that I currently cannot is to go back into an annotation I've made after I saved. Sometimes I realize I've forgotten to note something, drawn a border incorrectly, or some other minor edit and am unable to go back into the original screenshot/gif to fix it. It's not a terribly big issue because of how simple it is to go back and take another screenshot or gif.

Lightweight but Powerful

It's been great. My team is constantly sharing screenshots or files with each other and as an admin of the account, I can see everything. It's also nice to be able to upload screenshots or proofs and send a link directly to the client. One of the features I like most is we have our domain set to a custom short domain instead of the cl.ly default domain. This helps us look professional and keep everything branded.

Pros

I've used CloudApp since 2012 including some of their paid plans. It's easy to install the app and it only takes up a small space in my menu bar. I love how easy it is to upload by dragging and dropping or manually selecting a file. It's also nice that they'll host your files on their servers so even years later, I can find old files and share them again.

Cons

Over the years they started to make features only for paid accounts which forced people to pay for the app. It's a minor inconvenience for us since we use it in a web development agency, and it's a crucial part of our sharing workflow, but that could potentially turn people away and make them use alternative apps like Dropbox.

A must for Support team

I have implemented the tool for our Support team and before this I have done research of similar tools. Cloudapp had the best features, better price and a great support/customer success team which made it easy to implement.

Pros

With one simple shortcut you can create a screencast (Video or GIF), screenshot (with or without annotation) and send to your users in chat. Cloudapp has greatly increased our Support teams productivity. It is also very useful for building reports or knowledge base internally as you can simply drag and drop the screenshots or screencasts to Atlassian. Very helpful when creating internal documentation for other agents.

Cons

It would be a great addition if the video screencast would also record audio (like screenflow) as sometimes we need the audio recorded as well which is happening on screen when trouble shooting or recording bugs related to the product.

Quick, easy, neat, I feel like a pro!

I can quickly get my thoughts across to customers and team members. It's simple and fast. I really couldn't go a day without it.

Pros

It's quick to load and the fact that the link absorbs into the clipboard is SO easy and fast. There are multiple ways to use it - downloads, webcam vids, screenshare vids with voice, GIFs of screen, images, annotations. Really - there are SO many ways to up your game in social and customer care by using CloudApp.

Cons

Small screenshots don't always come out readable without clicking on them and waiting to see what it is. The head of the arrow in the Annotations is super huge and I often have to find workarounds when I'd really like to use it. It would be cool to shrink it width-wise along with length-wise. I wish you could copy/paste annotation components (arrows that you've sized a certain way, text, etc.) Click on the element, ctrl+c, ctrl+v I wish there was a solid box in annotations that you could add. There's an outline, but not a solid box or circle that I've discovered.

A must have tool

I loved it and I doubt a week goes by when I do not use it multiple times.

Pros

This is one of those tools that many people won't realize they need until they get used to using it. Yes, if you work in a support team then the usage case is obvious, and it excels at support, but it is so much more than that. How often do you have to try to explain something to someone and it takes forever in words, but a quick screenshot would do the trick. Problem with a screenshot is you have...

Cons

The only little niggle is there are very occasionally glitches or outages, but to Cloudapps credit they do get them sorted and they are very polite at responding to emails.

My to go app for screen capturing

One of my best buys so far. Worth every penny and I recommend it to everyone all the time.

Pros

I got it on sale. It lets me use my own branding and subdomain. It's light on any computer even my slow laptop. Frequent updates and new features. Customer service is super responsive. It's like an online database of all my screenshots vs my older to go software which would only take a screenshot and save it on my local computer.

Cons

There has been a problem with the annotate tool on Firefox on both my home computer and my laptop which prevents me from annotating any of my screenshots but I haven't really contacted customer service about it. It might be related to a plugin on my browser or something. But I don't really use that feature that's why I don't bother asking customer service about it.

Huge savings in productivity.

I am a Product Manager and often, due to the speed at which we work and the people I work with, words are not the best medium to convey thoughts when you discover snags or bugs. Developers are busy people and want to build things and move on. CloudApp lets me visually capture product behavior to explain desired functionality, in the form of videos and gifs and thus speed up communication within my team. I really love the tool.

Pros

The ability to capture screenshots and annotate them with comments or arrows. The ability to capture videos as well as gifs has enabled me to be more productive. As a Product Manager, I can enhance my documentation efforts by bringing in a visual component to requirements and bug descriptions. It has helped me writing feature walkthroughs as well as explain competitive product offerings to my team.

Cons

Every once in a while, I have observed that the tool's library shows captured screenshots which I hadn't intended to capture. It may be due to the fact that the shortcut keys on the keyboard (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+5) are close to a frequently used shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+Del). It's either that or maybe it's just...fat fingers!

Great application to share screenshots and screen captures

The ability to send ad-hoc screenshots and screen shares very quickly and easily to customers makes it so much easily to assist and help troubleshoot customer issues. Highly recommended for any customer support team.

Pros

Software is very easy to use. Use it to take screenshots and send them through to customers with a shortened personalized URL. You can also use it to take screen captures, as well as annotate and edit screenshots (ie. adding arrows, circles around important parts of a screenshot).

Cons

Software does one thing very well, not much to dislike about it. Just need to learn the shortcut to copy your screenshot and then the software automatically uploads the image to the cloud and saves a link in your clipboard to paste into what ever application you want to use to send that link.

CloudApp Just Works

I enjoy using CloudApp several times each day. You can set a custom domain to maintain branding across all links. It's easy to share a link and, if you wish, to download the linked file directly. It's not the only link shortening/sharing app out there, but it is clearly one of the best.

Pros

Once installed, CloudApp works very well, with options for creating GIFs, recording video and more. There are integrations right out of the box for Trello and Slack, and a variety of ways to annotate and share.

Cons

I use Droplr, too, and in some ways I still prefer its UI/UX, though CloudApp has improved by leaps and bounds over the past year or so. It's been recently bought by Microsoft—which can be a good thing or a bad thing (consider the Wunderlist saga). Time will tell.

An essential tool that speeds up productivity in the easiest way possible - a perfect combination

It saves me a lot of time, making me much more productive.

Pros

The simplicity and utility, mixed with the time-saving logic-steps are what makes this tool so exceptional. Simplicity; using simple (or user-defined) shortcut keys to capture parts of a screen as an image or video. Simplicity; dragging any file onto a system tray icon to have it uploaded to CloudApp storage. Simplicity; after a file has been uploaded, simply paste the auto selected link wherever you want to share it. Utility; screenshotting, screen recording, file storage, file sharing, annotation, commenting; it's all there! Logic-steps; auto upload and copy link to clipboard, auto-open into desktop annotation; these kinds of time-savers are well thought out, seamless and really help my workflow.

Cons

It'd tough to find anything but if I HAD to it'd be that, at least in previous versions of the desktop app, it was buggy; the auto-open for annotations didn't always work. That seems to have been resolved now though!

Best drag-and-drop file sharing solution

CloudApp simplifies our workflow when we need to share screenshots and files to people outside of our organization. We highly recommend it!

Pros

The reason we chose CloudApp is the MacOS integration in the menu bar. We used WeTransfer before, which required us to go to their website to upload files, but CloudApp allows us to just drag and drop our files to the menu bar, and it creates a shareable link for us.

Cons

CloudApp successively increased its pricing, without much justification and added features. I was quite disappointed to see the lack of new features over the last 2-3 years. Also, storage prices dramatically decreased over time, so it's hard to understand why they keep increasing their prices.