Google Sheets Logo

Google Sheets

Cloud-based spreadsheet and collaboration platform

Google Sheets Reviews

User ratings

4.7

12.1K
  • Likelihood to recommend9.08/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

The fact it's free is amazing. It's a great choice for personal or small business or non-profits.
I love this it's free, easy to use, comparable to Excel, and accessible on multiple devices. I use it mainly for my budget, which has not only helped me save a lot of money but plan for the future.
I like it because It's % 100 Free app from google and it's very easy to use with a clean and useful user interface. I like how I can create many sheets in one project and use other sheets format.
When downloading to a Word document on your laptop, there is often formatting error and glitches which can be annoying.
Google Sheets suffers from severe slowdowns when working with a few hundred rows of data. Don’t even bother if there are complex equations within those rows.
It can be frustrating when there's no information online about troubleshooting some formula errors.

Google Sheets users...

Numbers

LibreOffice-logocaret
+ 4

LibreOffice

How would you rate Google Sheets?

12,151 reviews

Ashley M. W.

Founder and CEO

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Love Google Sheets to get stuff done!

Transcript

Ashley M.: Hi, my name is Ashley. I'm the founder and CEO of a company. My rating for Google Sheets is...

A spreadsheet tool for collaborative work

Transcript

Mike H.: My name is Mike. I'm a VP of customer success in the software industry. I give Google Sheets...

Google sheets review

As I use google sheet daily. Its awesome feelings with google sheets, I generate many reports from sheets. Google sheet has best feature to use this online and many users can access same sheet at a same time, this is also have version control system. So you can retrieve your previous data.

Pros

Google sheet is the best software for data collection and analysis. Many more types of files and many types of data can be integrate with google sheet. You can give specific access to the specific users. And also has feature of offline edit.

Cons

I use google sheet daily I don't think that software has any problem. But the formulas are little difficult than other.

Easy to use alternative to Excel

We use it for a lot more than crunching numbers. For instance, we have 300+ items we hire out, and we use Sheets to keep track of who has them booked and when (like a Gantt chart). The fact that we can all work on this sheet simultaneously makes Sheets work when an offline version of Excel wouldn't. That said, Office 365 would allow a similar experience.

Pros

The collaboration options within a team are game changing. No more save, attach and send - everyone's aligned on the same sheet at the same time. You don't realise how much work and confusion this elimiates until you switch to it.

Cons

Its strength is its weakness. It's quite a cut down alternative to Excel, which makes it easy to use, but if you want to do something advanced or nuanced then you may find the feature you want is missing. Luckily you can export to Excel and carry on there if you want to. We very rarely have to. Collaboration also requires the other users to have Google accounts. Sometimes you just want to share with someone when you don't know if they have one or not. And they may have one, but not using the email address you assumed they did, which means they have to make an access request. It could be easier.

Not a Rival to Microsoft Excel!

It was okay.

Pros

The online and collaboration feature is the only feature that makes it stand out. And it is better than Office 365 online.

Cons

It just cant match the speed of Excel App,( the offline version). Google sheet spoils the productivity and the integrations with excel aren't good. Can be improved.

Most convenient and universal spreadsheet platform, great product evolution

All prior advantages other spreadsheet programs had like more robust formulas and being able to edit locally have now been incorporated into Google Sheets as well so Google Sheets is the leader. The collaboration among Google Sheets is the easiest of all platform since everyone already has Google accounts and the links are easily sharable where everyone can edit the document at the same time.

Pros

Real-time collaboration with any number of peers, built-in chat, easy access from other Google Workspace products as a new feature.

Cons

Very few issues, Google Sheets can be accessed locally now as well even without internet. All prior issues with complexity of formulas have been solved now as well, Google Sheets is great.

A free spreadsheet app with Google's intuitive user interface

Very convenient to use especially when there is a need for collaborating with others.

Pros

The application is not intimidating unlike other similar apps with many overwhelming features and options. For a beginner who is new to spreadsheets, Google sheets is perhaps the easiest app to get started. This Google Docs family app is free to use and supports all the necessary features that the popular market leading apps have. The user interface is minimal, intuitive and easy to use. Sharing...

Cons

For those who are used with other popular spreadsheets applications, Google sheets may not be suitable because they might find some advanced features missing. However, Google Sheets is being updated with new features occasionally.

For the most part, an excellent platform

I do so much with Google Sheets! I run a very large volume of payments every week through google sheets, which involves running data from a sheet filled out by other employees through an SQL script, adding this back to my google sheet, and then downloading it as a CSV to process the payment through our portal. On a daily basis, I add data from CSVs derived through SQL to Google Sheets in order to...

Pros

The thing I like most is the fairly obvious feature - how easy it is for multiple people to edit a document simultaneously, across not only our company, but also with partners. It is fantastic how easy it is to control access to a particular sheet, and that we can integrate this with Slack to facilitate multiple access requests. There is a fantastic array of formulae and functions available within...

Cons

I really have very few complaints about Google Sheets. Occasionally, sheets can become slightly glitchy when I edit a formula, but it's ok. It's annoying that columns have to be in the correct order for a VLookup function to work - this really confused me for a while and continues to occasionally cause some frustrations. I would like a duplicate checker to be more easy to implement. Finally, I also...

A robust data spreadsheet for nothing!

It's all I use, professionally and personally. Having easy and immediate access to my data, just about anywhere and on absolutely any modern device is huge.

Pros

I like that you get access to sheets with your basic Gmail account. If you work for a company you likely have access to Enterprise features. You can share your data with anyone and control how access is granted.

Cons

Sheets is a brilliant, low cost/no cost alternative to Excel, but it ain't Excel. Pro users will pine for the grandaddy of data spreadsheets.

Spreadsheets on Demand!

If you worked with Microsoft Excel first, then you would have mad respect for Google Sheets. Being able to access this application anywhere and everywhere, at anytime makes it a keeper in my books.

Pros

I like the comparable utility points when stacked against the almighty Excel. But I love more so, the accessibility that this application provides and its capabilities to be updated and shared by many people at any given moment.

Cons

Sheets is more of a simplified version of Excel with a few functions omitted, but nonetheless an exceptional contender.

Your faithful old spreadsheet

Pros

It might sound like I'm damning with faint praise here, but one of the biggest pros for Google Sheets is that it doesn't deviate massively from the template created by Excel. It's spreadsheets, everything works as it should, in most cases everything is where it should be when you try to use it.

Cons

As per the pro, it's also the con. There was no point in reinventing the wheel - and as a result they really haven't. For the majority of users Sheets is almost identical to Excel. I'm sure that power users will be well aware of each different offering's strengths and weaknesses, but for me it works fine.

Google Sheets is the little brother of Microsoft Excel

My overall experience with Google Sheets is a good one, being able to create basic and also complex tables on the fly, on any device.

Pros

I like the most about Google Sheets that it is an easy to use table application, has a lot of collaboration features, also being able to edit in the same time with different people, and has a lot of features and implementations.

Cons

I do not have any cons regarding the Google Sheets application.

A better and more cost-efficient option to Excel

We use Sheets daily to track inventory, track incoming-outgoing orders, as well as general organization.

Pros

Google Sheets functions almost exactly like Excel for a fraction of the price. The best part is that Sheets is sharable and multiple users can update in real-time.

Cons

A few formulas differ from those of Excel, but not a deal breaker.

Online Spreadsheets for Everyone

I use Google sheets for collaboration and to manage financial records for our business. It is simple and easy to use BUT can become less intuitive when you want to start to use it for complex calculations.

Pros

I love to be able to share and still control who has access to my Google sheets. Collaboration is a huge plus but it also has the chance to lose data because someone from the team deletes an important cell. The ability to easily export to xlsx or pdf files is a plus for sure. Comments are very helpful to manage collaboration.

Cons

Complex calculations/formulas can be limited sometimes. Add-ons are available but some of them are costly. After using Excel sheets for a while, some of the functions are overly complicated. You should use Excel if you need complex graphs to illustrate your presentation.

A complete worksheet solution with polished sharing features

Google Sheets offers rock-solid collaboration tools. Since my organization lives inside Google Workspace this is critical. We do not miss Excel, nor the additional cost.

Pros

Google Sheets is a robust worksheet software that can do 95% of what the average user will expect from Excel and other competitors. The formulas work about the same, therefore the learning curve is not steep. The sharing features are polished and very granular, allowing you to share at different levels depending on your needs. This is understandably robust, as Google practically invented the collaboration features in productivity software. Other pros are automatic saving of files, constant improvement of the app, an increasing set of "add-ons" from external providers.

Cons

The apps for Android phones and IOS are lacking a lot. Over Ipad, for example, I almost always find myself going back to my laptop.

Perfect Alternative to the Status Quo

This is a fantastic platform. It can be accessed anywhere from and desktop or any mobile device and it uses all of the functions that you're used to. The experience is fantastic. We use it every day and it goes well beyond simple spreadsheet work. In fact, we used it to build our business intelligence dashboard. I have many positive things to say about it. If only it could use less RAM it would be golden!

Pros

The best part of this software is two-fold. Firstly it has all of the formulas and tricks that you're used to with MS excel, plus additional really cool things (like being able to pull in from exterior sources). But secondly, it can all be done live while collaborating with others.

Cons

The only struggle with this product is that it chews up RAM like nothing else. Most google products just devour RAM.

Google Sheets Review

Excellent for novices and for organizing simple data. When used by numerous people to achieve a work deadline, it's fantastic. There's no need to be concerned about forgetting to push the Save Button. It's one of my favorite tools.

Pros

A very useful tool especially for those who has limited or no space on their devices (like Laptops, PCs, Tablets, Phones, etc). Google Sheets stands out from Excel due to its outstanding collaboration capabilities. Since it is hosted in the cloud and has a user-friendly design, Google Sheets is simple to access and manage. Creating, updating, saving a spreadsheet or sharing a spreadsheet with Google...

Cons

In comparison to Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets has limited formatting options. Formulas in Google Sheets are insufficient for complex accounting and bookkeeping. If you lose your Google Sheets login credentials, it might constitute a security breach at work if they fall into the wrong hands. You can end up losing some important work. Otherwise, there are more advantages than disadvantages.

An Outstanding Cloud Spreadsheet Tool

My overall experience with google sheets is quite good. It is faster and smooth and most importantly it’s easy accessibility made me stick with it for a really long time.

Pros

I always wonder, I would’ve been stuck somewhere if I didn’t have google sheets. What an excellent tool it is! The first benefit of this tool is it is completely cloud based, so I don’t need to store anything in my computer. And, I can easily access my files literally from anywhere in the world. There are many pre-made templates I can use for my projects. Whether you need to maintain accounts, track budgets, or manage multiple projects, google sheets have everything to help you out. Besides, you can easily import data from other platforms, for example MS excel.

Cons

The Google sheets team needs to improve the features and functionality of charts. From my point of view, there are some lacking in the chart features. Specially when it comes to manipulating default charts, you may get fewer options compared to other platforms.

very good for being free

Google Sheets transformed the way I work collaboratively, moving much of my work from the classic spreadsheets to the free, collaborative online version of G-Sheets. But still, for convenience and ease of use, I have some of my spreadsheets in Excel (synchronized with Google Drive, but that functionality is for a separate review).

Pros

The application has several positive aspects, but the first to highlight is that it is free! The comparison always arises between this app and Excel. Google Sheets is more limited than the latter, but it has enough functions to replace Microsoft in low-medium complexity tasks. Something that stands out with respect to the desktop versions of Excel is the possibility of sharing the document and working it between several people simultaneously remotely.

Cons

It does not carry the same functionalities or they are not implemented in the same way as in Excel. And let's face it, most of the people who use this application previously used Microsoft on its desktop version. Adapting to tasks other than the simplest requires some work. It is also more limited in terms of functionalities.

The Best Free Solution for Spreadsheet Creating and Editing

I use Google Sheet for personal and business stuff and I never had any problems with it and it's my favorite data managing tool now and I like how fast you get to use it and the share option saved my team and me a lot of time. It's a great alternative for everyone and overall, I'm very happy using it daily.

Pros

It's an all-in-one tool and I like how I'm able to create, edit, and manage spreadsheets in one place without the need to have any software installed on my Laptop. I'm using it for creating data spreadsheets for my business and it works great for me and I never had a single problem. The best thing about Google Sheet is I'm able to work on my spreadsheets on any device especially with my phone and...

Cons

I wish they can add more formats and formulas to this amazing tool in the future. Sometimes when I have an Excel file and I open it with Google Sheet I lose some formats and the data gets missed up. But, after all, Google has done an excellent job allowing us to use this tool for free and I hope they will keep updating it in the future.

Whatever you need from excel, yet easier

Moving to a cloud based collaboration suite like G Suite including Google Sheets was one of the best decisions we took. We work on projects together, now also on its individual files.

Pros

- Muscled yet intuitive: we use it internally for quite some complex data manipulations. Although it looks very simple from a user interface perspective, it has everything on offer that you need using formulas. - Collaboration features: working together in a Google sheets environment is brilliant. It is so easy to share a doc, fire up a google meet call and work together in the same document. - Versioning & auto-save: its an inherent cloud feature, but sooo important. You always have your version at hand when you need it, instead of it being lost on a company server. And going back to a previous version is very easy.

Cons

There is little not to like about the solution. Maybe two occasional situations are more cumbersome: - need for a refresh: if you have been working in Sheets for a while, the highlighted cell is selected in a weird way, kind of offset. A refresh helps in that case. - slow with large data sets: although it runs in the cloud, a lot of data still has to be loaded on your screen (I suppose?) so it sometimes shows an error as the tab freezes. Re-opening mostly works in that case.

A spreadsheet powerhouse - free and simple

Being free, Google Sheets are an amazing service that helped us lower our costs and retain the same level of efficiency. Thankfully, as we do not need advanced spreadsheet capabilities, using Google Sheets as the alternative to Excel was a very easy switch to accomplish. Now we are fully converted and we're losing less time when collaborating. I can only recommend Google Sheets as a great substitute for Excel and other similar products.

Pros

Google Sheets is easy to use. It comes with most features that make Microsoft products interesting and, with years of using Excel, Sheets is just a change of skin. I love how I can use sheets to collect data from various projects, like the little cheese maturation measuring device we are currently working on. I am also a big fan of the collaboration features which mean we no longer send files via email when we collaborate. That leads to less chance of losing work in accidental overwrites. Google also keeps all of our files versioned, so in case of a mishap, we can always roll back.

Cons

Advanced features are way under what Microsoft offers. Macros, advanced conditional formatting, and even importing some files becomes a chore.

Google Sheet User Experience

Google sheets can be used both online and offline. Students can also use it very easily. Freelance data entry is working online income. However, many people spend a lot of money using Google Excel to work very slowly on Google sheets with very few template features and large file share. So, adding the Bashi feature to Google sheets will make it much more popular with people from Microsoft Excel.  Thank You.

Pros

• Google sheet is free, so every student uses it easily for his study work.  • Google sheet is run also offline.  • Google sheets can be used anywhere without any internet connection.  • Otherwise, it is used to help earn money from any freelancer to work a data entry job.  • Google sheet formula is very useful for any beginner.

Cons

• Google sheet work very slowly for sharing any big data with others.   • The google sheet does not have all the features of Microsoft excel.  • There are very few templates in google sheet.  • The wide range of Google sheets is much less than required.

Amazing free option for spreadsheets

It is super comparable to excel and it is totally free and easy to share the doc with others in your google drive for editing.

Pros

Google sheets is free so how can you not like it. It seems to do everything that Microsoft excel does plus it integrates with some other things I have. If you need a spreadsheet software use Sheets instead of paying for excel. I have done full budgets and even made a very simple payroll system off of it that calculates everything.

Cons

I had used excel in the past so really the only thing was there was a little curve getting to know it and know how it was different than excel. Really the only thing that annoys me is that when you sum stuff it doesn't automatically try to find the numbers to be summed so you have to drag it.

Google Sheets for the rest of us

The simplicity in Google Sheets is that you can use basic spreadsheet functions so easily. Since that is what I and my company do, it is preferred to Excel.

Pros

This has many features like Excel and it is similar in its ease of use. It is intuitive and if you have some spreadsheet experience, Google Sheets should be relatively easy to use. I also find since there are millions of users, anything you're trying to do or want to do has probably been tried before and if there is a solution, there are probably multiple areas of content available. If you're working with the Google Suite of applications, then the ease of use is so much better because Sheets integrates so well with the other apps in the Suite. It's cloud-based like approach is much easier on disk space, memory and speed.

Cons

As someone who worked with Excel for years, I felt some of the functions and formulas didn't work as seamlessly, but that may be because I was an Excel user. Some things are going to be different. If you're doing major financial data work, Sheets may not be the best fit. The formatting features in Excel are far superior.

Work with Sheets anywhere

It's very useful to work with numbers and text. I use it to make Google Ads keyword combinations and much more and upload it to Google Ads. It's very nice to get a online xml feed and put it in a sheet in an easy way.

Pros

You can work anywhere, it's fast and reliable (don't loose your work because the internet is down). You can use it with data from online sources, like xml, csv and others. Have a very good API, you can automate many process from your computer, smartphone or cloud. You can use Google Scripts to increment your formulas. It's free, with all features. You can share (and work at same time with other people) your sheets in a easy way.

Cons

Could be slower in case of many data and complex formulas. Do not have a good support (I think it only have online forums).

Experience as Google sheets user for logistics

My experience with Google sheets overall has been great. The efficiency of this software is at a very high level. It has the same functions as Excel and Word, and it's very easy to export any file as well. I would recommend any company to have this software since it's very easy to share the sheets and control who can exclusively look and edit them. In conclusion, this software is fast, efficient, and reliable.

Pros

It is very user friendly. This software usually loads pretty fast, it saves all your changes automatically, and it works just like the Office software, with the exception on the higher expenses and the longer loading time that office tends to have. I use this software daily to keep track of our orders and create multiple reports. It doesn't really matter how many windows or how long my reports are, the software is consistent and efficient.

Cons

This software is great, but it can get a little difficult when the internet connection is not great. It won't save your sheets as often or fast, and it basically won't work. Sometimes it can get tricky when you have too many columns or you just want to move columns around on xlx files, but that happens with office too and is not a big deal.