MindMeister  Logo
MindMeister

Cloud-based mind mapping tool for organizations of all sizes

visit website

MindMeister Reviews

User ratings

4.7

• Likelihood to recommend9.05/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

I found this software so easy to use and you can create the most incredible mindmaps. I love all the wonderful additions where you can incorporate costings, web links and notes.

KB

Kirsten B.

This was so easy to learn to use, and the help and opening tutorial were super straightforward.

CL

Christina L.

MindMeister helps me to capture and organize all my thoughts in a way that's easy to read, understand, and remember. My ability to create content has improved since I started using MindMeister.

MS

Michael S.

The problem is that nothing layouts out the connections the way we know them. I am creating the framework for our database for the future.

CG

Chett G.

I had a problem to see them, I miss the ability to enlarge them or readjust them according to my needs.

SH

Stefan H.

So far I have not stumbled over things that bother me ... the only thing might be the need of an internet connection.

MK

diagrams.net

LibreOffice-logocaret

LibreOffice

Compare both
How would you rate MindMeister ?

Still the gold standard of mind map software

Transcript

Fraser N.: Hi, I'm Fraser. I'm founder of a marketing consultancy, and I'd give MindMeister five out...

Career user

Pros

I have been in my field for over 22+ years and used this tool for various uses throughout. I appreciate the ease of use of the interface and the continual improvements that I've seen over the years.

Cons

It's not a con as much as an additional feature request. I would love to be able to create a master mind map out of a group of my maps so that I can see the larger ecosystem within your tool. I currently just export all my maps and use another program to visualize my world.

Over 4 years of use

Pros

The versatility and creativity and style options are what keep me coming back. I can outline books, storylines, blog posts, brainstorm content, prepare character outlines. It's truly enjoyable to use the program.

Cons

I dislike that I do not have other format choices for exporting on the basic plan. I would like the option to export a mind map in 1 format of my choosing versus being restricted to the format type.

Your Next Step Towards Efiiciency

good :)

Pros

ease of use, minimal preparation, online collaboration

Cons

Available themes, Tree like structure of mind map and not being able to create graphs of ideas, not using the dimensions efficiently. (x axis may mean depth, y axis may mean breadth)

Hi there Amir, thanks so much for reaching out! I've forwarded your suggestion about embedding graphs/tables/spreadsheets into mind maps to our product team. It's a great idea! For now, you might find it helpful to attach a spreadsheet to a node, or to create an image of a graph/chart and insert it into your mind map. If you have any questions, be sure to reach out to us on Twitter at @MindMeister or to send us an email at support@mindmeister.com. Thanks again and happy mapping! -Andrew

Great Project planning tool. We want to buy it for every one in the company.

I invented this idea while pitching a description of flows for a computer project. Lockheed Martin Unisys back in 1994. One of my stockholders, a Wharton Professor, to me to forget it because very few people could understand such graphs. He was wrong. I started making Mind graphs like yours by gerrymandering MS Project but it is not the way to go.

Pros

Everything, especially the suggested links.

Cons

Price...right as of now., We will be buying it.

No More Chaos

Project and Program Management

Pros

this help me stay organized and eliminates panic, since I can see on ONE PAGE all of the key tasks for my team, NEATLY ORGANIZED by Topic, Resource or subject area

Cons

Having to reformat all child tasks under each group. Would like to have a default task template set up or child tasks should inherit template same as the parent

Beautiful but severe issues

I had to leave this software behind with my whole company after putting many hours in implementation because of 2 major bugs that were not even recognized or understood by the support team. One was a severe issue with privacy changes which is a disaster for sensitive content, the other a problem with their handling of free accounts when people just want to browse your public mindmaps. Very sad, since it is otherwise beautiful and has promising features - but for pro users who need stuff to really work it can be a huge waste of time. Disappointing the total lack of comprehension by the support staff.

Pros

Beautiful Design amazing search linking to points in different maps possible (the only one I know who can do that)

Cons

Huge banner to sign up on (paid) public maps that occupies too much space Sorting and organizing maps quite confusing severe issue with privacy changes which is a disaster for sensitive content handling of free accounts when people just want to browse your public mindmaps impossible to set privacy for several maps (or a folder) at once

Easyt o use

I have been able to fully see the process of certain installations from every team involved, not simply my own. This grants not only myself, but all the other teams involved, a much greater view for an overall perspective that other sites may not have.

Pros

Very easy to get started, easy to select selections for various types of connections, symbols, shapes, lines, etc. I truly enjoy the ability to simply tab and add another step, then modify it further with the provided tools. Upgrading to Personal was a great choice as I am able to export this map to an image or PDF, making it even easier to share the work.

Cons

I have not found mu8ch in the way of Cons at this time, but will come back and modify my review should one pop up.

A professional mind mapping option cheap and online

I actually did like it. After login a quick tutorial gets you mind mapping after a few clicks and other five tutorials get you using the whole interface on the fly.

Pros

Mindmeister has been around for quite a while, and as well as other mind mapping software its main goal has been making things simpler and simpler. Professionals from any field have two things in mind: shortage of time and exporting options. Mindmeister's evolution has gone online with in browser mind mapping app and also computer installed versions as well as mobile apps. It's new price packages are quite reasonable but you can start making up to three mind maps for free on its basic free version.

Cons

Exporting options are only available through paid accouts, have that in mind in case you are considering testing it out first.

I Use MindMeister To Plan Books

I enjoy getting ideas onto a screen pictorially and being able to move items around easily.

Pros

I use MM to plan chapters in books and brainstorm ideas. It's quick to get a mind map onto the screen and link research to it via web links and files on the computer.

Cons

It takes a short while and some practice to pick up the features and actions to produce a good mind map.

An invaluable tool

Pros

Great interface, easy to use, instant synchronization.

Cons

I use it as todo/note organizer, grouping them by subject and specific to my usage I would have liked to have metadata that can be attached to items (date, priority, ...) and then having the possibility of sorting items on the same level by that metadata.

Very useful software for brainstorming and organizing ideas.

Pros

It is very easy to use and create tons of projects from scratch. You can brainstorm multiple topics in a single page and then connect them in a more logic way by demand.

Cons

Even though you can share a project with multiple people, you can't edit the same project at the same time, or the software only recorganize one of the editings.

My experince with MindMeister

I have been kicking around the idea of spinning off new businesses from my existing business and this software is the place I put my ideas until I have clarity and focus. The mindmapping concept works and I am happy with the software reliability.

Pros

The software is intuitive. I use the free version and it is high quality.

Cons

Setting up the overall layout can be challenging at first.

Best mind mapping tool

Pros

Mind Meister is the best mind mapping tool, Good Interface, Easy to use, Clean Ui. It has several customization while developing an mind map such the colors, how an topic should be and more. Attachment part has fution to add images and videos. The slideshow function is awesome.

Cons

Mind Meister is little costlier. You won't be able to change an template type once you have created it. In such case you need to recreate in an new template.

Easy to use tool for getting your head clear and your work productive

I usually have so much in my mead, different projects, ideas, to-dos etc. I had been searching for a way to get organized. A quick tool that I could flip up on-the-go and jot down my thoughts in relation to every other thing that is going in in my business and life. Mindmeister has done that, with braveur. Thank you!

Pros

Easy to use Neat design Responsive (i.e. works well between different apps. Mobile and PC) Free trial

Cons

It would be nice to be able to bend the lines of the mind map manually

Unreasonable company to deal with.

I do not recommend MindMeister. We paid for and tested the software and it did not meet our needs. When I was invoiced another 12-months, I requested a refund advising that I had forgot to cancel they refused. As a small business we are now out of pocket for something we aren't going to use. Even if I decide to revisit software like this in future, they will not be on the list.

Pros

We tested the software and found it wasn't for us, we had paid for a year however but it sat there and did nothing as we did not use it.

Cons

Nothing to report on. We just found better software.

Hi Calum, Thank you for your review! We're sorry to hear you had a bad experience with MindMeister. Please let us know if we can still help with a refund. Kind regards, Your MeisterTeam

Data analysis and group of problems

Good application to capture and store the data point, problem identification and subsequent open thinking resolves the problems

Pros

The software is very good in capturing so many data point and problem reference point. It offload the problems and keeps mind free

Cons

Size of the software- if the size of the software can be reduced

Great Visualization Product to Increase Efficiency

I really love using it to visually organize my tasks. It helps keep me focused on my goals.

Pros

I've been using MindMeister for the past few years and it always helps me visualize and organize my tasks. Thanks for all of your help.

Cons

I wish there were more mind maps in the free trial.

So satisfying!

Pros

As an individual obsessed with growth and results, Mindmeister has helped me immediately declutter ideas. All the advantages and freedom of traditional brainstorming, with the digital advantages of an unlimited canvas and redos. Great UI, and reliable response time. Still an early user so have not yet used the software to its full capacity, but can already see its value.

Cons

The user experience on touchscreen devices is a bit iffy. Great to use on desktop, but a bit tricky to navigate and edit on mobile. This may require a different interface entirely? Perhaps workflow is best optimised to use Mindmeister on desktop and MeisterTasks on mobile, but there is a great opportunity to explore for tablet and iPad users.

Extension of Mind Maps

Background: I lost the ability to write. I needed a way to take semi structured notes MindMeister gave me the ease of traversing the graph of Mind Maps. This product can make Levels of Detail better to see

Pros

- ease of use - makes note taking collaborative - Version control is an interesting feature that I will make sure to use most of all enables you to develop Mind maps

Cons

- NEED a stable internet connection to use this - Want a clearer way to know the workflow around this - presentation mode can be improved

Hi Chadi, Thank you for your reviews. I noticed you mentioned that our in your opinion, our presentation mode could be improved. If you have any more specific ideas and suggestions regarding this, please, let us know at support@mindmeister.com and your email will be forwarded your email to our developers. Your MeisterTeam

Organize your Stuff

It's been used in the initial phases of our projects to organize and systemize thoughts, to brainstorm and group similar ideas. We use ti to organize the key points of material we are reading, too, and to start schemes that will end up being turned to processes.

Pros

One of the features I like most is the possibility to directly create tasks on MeisterTask. From there, I can take the tasks to our work app, Runrun.it through Zapier.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to keep the layout the way you'd like, because it doesn't let you overlap the items. So, you are forced to stretch the groups.

For more enjoyable organised life !

Pros

This software is a must if you like me deal with a lot of information and knowledge and want to enjoy planning, organizing and sorting things out in your both professional and personal lives ! It is easy and fun to use and you can create as many mind maps as you wish for all sort of things ! Adding pictures and customizing your map is super easy too.

Cons

I cannot easily use the mobile app like the web app.

The perfect tool for creating strategies and mind maps!

I just love MindMeister and recommend it to everyone.

Pros

MindMeister is by far one of my favorite work tools! I've started using about 3 or 4 years ago when I was studying movie production. I could break down ideas, concepts and steps of an action plan to fulfill projects. MindMeister helps me organize ideas, design projects and concepts. I also use it to design marketing campaign strategies that include​ multiple groups and different actions.

Cons

I would like the free version to allow the user to manage more than 3 maps. Although​ it's worth the money, it's still expensive for a freelance professional.

Simply awesome

I feel free. I was looking for a way to organize my ideas and put them into scope. This software gave me that.

Pros

The way you can organize you ideas is outstanding

Cons

Can't say anything bad, this is too good

Getting going fast

Easy to use and adopt.

Pros

We are building a business and need to collaborate virtually. Having a web based tool is perfect.

Cons

I've had no challenges, so I cannot say what I like least.

The best mind mapping have ever used

I like very much because it's integrated with canban software, the Meister Task, so what I draw in the mind mapping would transfer to the canban software. Very practical and useful.

Pros

The easy way to draw a mind mapping, including pictures, frames and so on to make interactive and easy to understand the mind mapping.

Cons

The link to make relation between tasks, it's not so much intuitive and comprehensible.