MindMeister Reviews

MindMeister

Cloud-based mind mapping tool for organizations of all sizes

4.78/5 (95 reviews)

Pros
  • It is easy and fun to use and you can create as many mind maps as you wish for all sort of things. Adding pictures and customizing your map is super easy too.Rania B.Read the full review
  • What I like the most about mindmeister is the ability to organize and customize how I organize on a very pleasing to look at platform. Everything is very seamless, easy to use, and even fun to use.Kimber S.Read the full review
  • I like mind mapping and I like the design, form and feel to MindMeister. Its great that it now has task list functionality as well.Rob M.Read the full review
Cons
  • While I do not find the formatting functionality to be clunky or difficult, I wish that it offered options that were more drag and drop.Jason D.Read the full review
  • I dislike that I do not have other format choices for exporting on the basic plan. I would like the option to export a mind map in 1 format of my choosing versus being restricted to the format type.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • The fact that if I choose not to fill in a review I get a pop-up every time I start Mindmeister. I don't do reviews and find it annoying that I need to close the pop-up when I open mindmeister.Peter v.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Dimitri Rupp

Turn ideas into action! Connect mind maps with task management

Reviewed 2019-09-21

It leaves only one question open: How can anybody work efficiently without these two fantastic applications??

Pros
Think about it: For the first time ever, Mindmapping and Task Management are perfectly connected with each other! And both applications are uniting simplicity and efficiency in such a great way that you really want to work with them every day. No matter, whether you do brainstorming in a meeting, or need to sort your thoughts for to launch a new product, starting a new marketing campaign, ordering your competitive data or just simply make notes about a class you are intending, there is only one perfect tool you can easily use for everything: MindMeister. MindMeister is not only a stoning beautiful and absolutely intuitive application, but it super effective and supporting your efficienc by directly creating tasks and assigning them to individual persons. In case somebody missed the meeting, or you need to replay how the mindmap got built, simply click on the replay button and it gets constructed again right in front of your eyes. Generate impressive powerpoint presentations with a click of a mouse button or manually in just seconds. Collaborate interactive online on the same maps in real-time. Build knowledge bases by connecting mindmaps with each other. You will never forget anything anymore because you will find any information easily again in one of your mindmaps. On top of everyhting, MindMeister has a number of templates integrated for the majority of your needs, like SWOT analysis, decision matrix, homework planning, exam preparation, lesson and many more.

Cons
Nothing. MindMeister in combination with MeisterTask is the only right tools you will ever need for an efficient task and project management.

Paul Stary

Mindmeister - Is it the best mind mapping software for you?

Reviewed 2020-03-12

Mind maps are a unique tool if you primarily use a computer as a brain amplifier. The ability to list complex topics and show their relationship graphically can be done with other drawing or flow chart apps. But the true power of mind mapping is the ability to expand and collapse the data with a single click, allowing you to focus on just the set you want to see. You need specialized software to do this. I recommend Mindmeister to anyone looking for an affordable, accessible and easy-to-use tool to "map out" your ideas. There is just about no better way to do this, no matter how simple or complex your project is.

Pros
The Mindmeister SaaS model is reliable, accessible and scalable. I have used it to create a simple list to massive data structures to map out complex products with hundreds of nested topics. It always works. At first, I thought it was lacking features. However, upon continued use now over many years, I can see the logic behind keeping it simple and now enjoy the simplicity of the interface so I can concentrate on creating content rather than fiddling around with unnecessary options. Actually, I have found just about everything I need for highly detailed maps. Images can be copied and pasted, then scaled within topics. Notes are simple but can be styled with just the right text options and images can be added if necessary. Most of all, I love the option to revert back to any version in time which recently saved my life when I accidentally deleted a massive amount of data from a map that I have been working on for 6 months. This map has over 2100 versions and I was able to completely restore the lost data from weeks before.

Cons
I wish the topic Notes could be resized as they are fixed at a size that cuts off some information. You can scroll to see more but sometimes defeats the purpose. Of course, the UI could be full of options for this or that but as stated above, I have come to appreciate the elegance of Mindmeister's feature set that is "just right" to get the job done.

Fraser Neilson

Still the gold standard of mind map software

Reviewed 2020-01-10

Great piece of kit - helps me layout my plans in simple yet powerful graphical formats

Pros
It is so easy to use and gets great results every time

Cons
The output is limited even on the paid version so I need to pay extra for e.g. PPT output

Matthias Behrends

Beautiful but severe issues

Reviewed 2019-07-05

I had to leave this software behind with my whole company after putting many hours in implementation because of 2 major bugs that were not even recognized or understood by the support team. One was a severe issue with privacy changes which is a disaster for sensitive content, the other a problem with their handling of free accounts when people just want to browse your public mindmaps. Very sad, since it is otherwise beautiful and has promising features - but for pro users who need stuff to really work it can be a huge waste of time. Disappointing the total lack of comprehension by the support staff.

Pros
Beautiful Design amazing search linking to points in different maps possible (the only one I know who can do that)

Cons
Huge banner to sign up on (paid) public maps that occupies too much space Sorting and organizing maps quite confusing severe issue with privacy changes which is a disaster for sensitive content handling of free accounts when people just want to browse your public mindmaps impossible to set privacy for several maps (or a folder) at once

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Quai Franklin

Mindmeister - Useful for Many Purposes

Reviewed 2020-01-21

Mindmeister has been really helpful with story and song planning, mapping out the recording process, keeping track of characters, locations, objects, and their relationships. It's been a lovely experience.

Pros
I'm a visual thinker, creator, and planner. As such Mindmeister is extremely useful in realizing visual imagery and information, pretty much effortlessly. It comes with lots of templates to get you started if you find them more convenient. But it's also really easy to get a mind map started from a blank canvass. After you begin building the map, it is easy to apply global styles or to style individual elements. Another great feature is the ability to take a portion of a map and create a new map out of it, optionally leaving a link in the originating map. Highly convenient.

Cons
There aren't many cons. I wish it were easier to capture ideas quickly for working with later using the mobile app. Also on my wish list would be a way to text search for icons.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Ellen Maddin

Great Educational Tool

Reviewed 2020-02-03

I often colloborate with university colleagues to write grants. We have used the program to model teaching and learning frameworks and to delegate project tasks. It is easy to use and the export features allow us to incorporate graphics into proposals.

Pros
What I love most about Mindmeister is the ability to collaborate with others on maps. I use it with colleagues to model, plan, and brainstorm. I also use it with my college students, who are pre-service teachers. When I assign a collaborative brainstorming activity, I can view the timeline to see when students contributed to the map. (This feature also allows you to revert to an earlier version of the map.) There are a multitude of educational uses of Mindmeister -- lesson planning, summarizing ideas, examining cause and effect, analyzing literature, detailing the steps in a process, and vocabulary study -- to name a few! Mindmeister has become an essential tool for teaching and learning.

Cons
My students sometimes have problems retireving maps - especially if they have started a map and only worked on it for a few minutes.

Angelo Ambrósio Tosta

Great and cheap ;)

Reviewed 2020-01-22

Awesome! I've been using MindMeister for a long time and I can say that I have a life of study there. It is incredible how I can remember something I read two years ago really fast.

Pros
The facility in building mind maps that are beautiful and organized the way you want would be enough for me. But the tool for researching words on the maps are FANTASTIC. I can research a word through all maps or in an especific one. This really allows me to be faster at my work.

Cons
Although the price is affordable, I think the difference between annual and mothly plans should be more representative. I'd like to have an annual plan but, living in Brazil where dollar goes up and down, I can't know when it will really worth it.

Rob Marquardt

Great for small business

Reviewed 2019-12-03

I use this to be able to create very nonlinear "big picture" summaries, and then I create other functional maps and tasks when its time to drill down into the details. I like how its very nonlinear and very fluid. Its easy to move things around and edit them. I first used MindMeister back in 2007. Its still a great product.

Pros
I like mind mapping and I like the design, form and feel to MindMeister. Its great that it now has task list functionality as well. Its fast and easy.

Cons
It could use a Gantt chart, as that's the only thing other people in my company need/want.

Raghunandan JAGDISH

Awesome tool

Reviewed 2020-01-15

It's been a great tool I own licence for xmind as well as mindmiester Xmind is more powerful But the abilities ond an online mind mapping tool are much better for xolloboration

Pros
The ease of use Brainstorming Presentation

Cons
Rigidity ... It doesn't allow branches to be a different place unaligned

Maggie Lane

Finally: A digital, visual, FUN way to effectively organize and boost productivity

Reviewed 2020-02-21

I'm a visual learner with lots of ideas, to-dos, distractions, and good intentions. On my own, I've tried writing lists, making my own digital map, using phone productivity apps, using tons of post-it notes, etc. to organize my jobs, projects, and seemingly endless daily tasks. I slowly admitted my own frustrations with not being able to effectively organize what I needed to do. Using MindMeister is the first time I actually see all of what I need to do in front of me, and it's color coded, neat, effective, and it oddly inspires me to work more. I'm a big fan of the templates and customization options. I use the Eisenhower Matrix template and I'm pleasantly surprised that it's actually improving my time management issues.

Pros
Free "Basic" plan is great for what I need now; Educator discount is available for if/when I choose to upgrade; free themes with many options for customization (I love color-coding); ability to merge MindMeister with MeisterTasks; Templates with tips on how to use them; Image generator based on Map title; Very user-friendly

Cons
The "Use" and "Preview" Template buttons are a little too close together. More than 3 font sizes would be nice.

Anonymous

A complete mindmapping solution for all of us who prefer visual organization of information

Reviewed 2019-10-01

As a predominantly visual person I need to see "the whole picture" when designing a new project and I do a lot of mindmapping on almost daily basis. I have the master mindmap with the key projects I am working on that branch out to smaller activities, tasks and deliverables and most of my notes related to the development are within the mindmap. As MindMeister offers a good number of icons to tag the individual branches I could clearly keep track of whole scope of the project and use the same space to add any ideas/notes I might have at the moment. Since you can easily collapse all the branches you are not using at the moment it really gives clarity and at the same time it helps me not to lose track of some processes or smaller deliverables that I could easily overlook in the task manager software I use. It also offers the integration with Meister Task so you can easily turn any branch into a task with deadlines and all. For me personally, the best use of mind maps is for brainstorming and planning stages of a project and I usually start by creating a map myself, adding ideas, processes and deliverables into it, and then sharing it with my colleagues at a meeting, which is usually followed by our joint work on the same map if the idea is chosen for the development. The app itself allows for all these, it has good visual interface, so after finding it and using it for a month I did not search for any other alternatives anymore.

Pros
As I use mind maps a lot I love to be able to have them available everywhere I go and to share them with my colleagues so we can work together on the same mind map. It offers everything mindmapping software should offer and it does it online (or through mobile app) so the only thing I need is the internet connection. The maps look very nice, there is a good number of templates and options (both map structures and design templates) so if you need a good mindmapping software I that is platform independent I could really recommend this one as I tried a couple of others before finding it. When you share the mind map with colleagues things get really great, especially during the ideation and planning stage of a project as everyone can add branches, expand on ideas which really helps make meetings more effective later.

Cons
This app also has the presentation mode that I have not found so useful. I see how it might be great to be able to present your mindmap to others instead of boring them with a slideshow, but I did not use it, so this would be the only thing that I am not really 'digging 100%. In essence, there is nothing bad about the app that I would highlight as it does its core function (mindmapping) really well. Of course, the free version has some limitations in terms of number of maps you can make and the export formats, but even the basic version can be enough for most users' needs.

Colin McNicol

MindMeister - Easy to use, powerful and flexible Mind Mapping software

Reviewed 2019-01-15

If you use Mind Mapping (and you should), Mindmeister is a great tool. Users are productive from day one; additional features to embellish maps can be used after the mapping exercise to create a passable presentation. As it is a SaaS product, easy to have several people contributing to a map. Highly recommended.

Pros
Very easy to use - the tool doesn't get in the way of the process; critical for mind mapping Reorganise and rearrange maps easily - even create submaps with links back to parent Good integrations - e.g. Microsoft Teams Can publish maps to public library, embed on website or share as editable or view only

Cons
Few complaints; resizing images could be easier (tough to grab the corner!); the interface could be prettier, but I'd sooner have functionality than pretty. Printing large maps on a single sheet or PDF is trickier than it needs to be. Sharing process could be simpler.

Anonymous

MindMeister is Awesome

Reviewed 2020-01-20

Pros
Its really easy to use.. very intuivtive, and it has integrations with anything you want. it has been a ride in the park since we as a team started using this software in conjunction with MeisterTask. everything we plan, gets disaggregated into steps for everyone in the team.. even when things are not getting done as expected, its easy to pinpoint the problems, or hav the rest of the team either doing something else while the delay gets solved, or puting time to help it get done. honestly.. i dont think i will ever do anything else without first puting it down on a Mind map like this. IT IS AWESOME

Cons
i dont know if it woud be fair to say there's something i dont like about mindmeister... there is nothing that i dislike so far.

BANU HIZEL

Master of the Mind

Reviewed 2020-03-11

Great help. At the time of my total confusion, it gave me a great hand to organize me and save time and energy.

Pros
It helped me organize everything, my work, my class, my presentation, events, and it is very practical, easy to use (user friendly)

Cons
I would like to download word format in personal version once or twice so that I can be sure to upgrade or not.

Janet Summit

Helps me be creative

Reviewed 2020-01-14

I design my own courses, and I use Mindmeister to help me outline and think through my course organization. At first I was not sure that it was worth the money. Because it was almost time for renewal, I decided to begin a new project and outline it by hand. WIthin a day I realized that Mindmeister was definitely something that helped a lot. Not only can I move ideas around very easily, but I can also see my projects differently simply due to the ability to color similar ideas with the same color, and connect them to each other. Being able to move a chain of ideas without having to erase and start over was huge too. I realized that Mindmeister had been making a huge difference.

Pros
I like the visual aspect of creating an organized plan.

Cons
I would liked to have an actual list of different short tutorials.

Akina Merrit

Good software for diagrams and presentations

Reviewed 2018-02-19

Pros
The first thing that attracts in this program is the speed of the interface. Well thought out the design side: the final projects are stylish and concise. The application allows you to work with different formats, so it's quite universal.

Cons
Some features of the program are available exclusively in the paid version, which greatly limits the work. Because there is no possibility of selection and copying, it is impossible to make quick changes.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Jorden Bench

Probably The Best Online Mind Mapping Software For The Price

Reviewed 2018-12-31

I have used MindMeister for both person and business. I was able to layout various course or programs for clients. I used to layout business processes. There are so many things you could use this for. I have over 100 different mindmaps! It's also great for just braindumping ideas or brainstoming with other people using the collaborate feature.

Pros
Mindmeister is very easy and intuitive to use. You have the ability to use various types of mapping layout including free form. I love that I can create presentaions and even export my mind maps into various forms

Cons
I don't really have anything negative to say. Using the desktop is much easier than the mobile version but it still works well.

Kimber Severance

Intuitive, pleasing to use, and has all organizational features you could ever need.

Reviewed 2020-02-28

Pros

Cons
I wish I could get rid of the advertising on my screen to upgrade to premium, I wish mindmeister was more user friendly for free users who aren't apart of a big company or anything, and I wish they had a desktop app.

Avril Jones

Mind Mapping with Ease

Reviewed 2020-01-08

Very happy and easy to share whil collaborating.

Pros
This tool is very intuitive and user friendly. Even if you get stumped its fairly easy to look at pictures of an icon and figure out what it does. I also like the integrations so you can attach files, documents etc. to support an idea

Cons
The only aspect I was disappointed is in a less that 17" screne you may not be able to visualize an entire mindmap.

Edward Pearlman

Favorite mind mapping software

Used monthly for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2019-10-24

I have many projects that need to be visualized in order to keep track of them, and brainstorming really helps unload my ideas so I don't have to hang onto them in mind all the time. I know this is true of any planner book or software, but MindMeister makes it easy, quick and colorful to handle.

Pros
I like how easy and colorful it is, intuitive to type in ideas, connect them, move them around, and easy to create tasks out of them, and link them into MeisterTask. I don't like software that claims too much of my time before producing results, and this is usable right away. Also, it's easy to look at, good design and colors. There are others I've tried which are very capable but hard to spend time with.

Cons
Can't think of something I don't like. I know the limitations of using a computer for brainstorming. It won't do my work or my thinking for me!

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Sven Heckele

Easiest Mindmap-Tool I've come across

Reviewed 2019-08-25

There might be features I'm not aware of it that I am not using. That just doesn't matter to me because I wanted an intuitive, easy to use Mindmap-Tool and that is exactly what Mindmeister delivers. If you need a mindmap to organize a new project, this might just be for you.

Pros
Cross-platform functionality. I like it on Windows but was surprised to realize that it's even more intuitive on Android. The referral program for free users is standard to great. But the affiliate program for Business users is one of the best and fairest programs I've come across to date.

Cons
I think 3 free mindmaps is cutting it a little close. 5 would probably get more people to give it a try.

Briana Hunter

The Best Mind Cartographer

Used monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2020-03-22

I do believe after trying many different programs that Mindmeister is the easiest to use and the best looking. It has everything I want in mapping software. It makes a big difference when you are trying to brainstorm. it is simply the best all-around.

Pros
I really enjoy the user interface the most. It is easy to use and attractive to the eye. It takes no time at all to make a fun and practical map for my writing.

Cons
I wish I could buy the software or membership for a one time fee. I use the software randomly for personal reasons than anything so a monthly fee isn't cost-effective for me. But wish I could use the full features whenever I decide to log on.

Maria Dolores

Simply and nothing superfluous

Reviewed 2018-01-31

Pros
Endless tree and flexibility, ease of construction, links to other diagrams, the ability to include in the diagrams video, sound, graphics. Rich features on the free account. Integration with MeisterTask. You can set a language other than English.

Cons
For the time of using the application (about a year), there have not been any shortcomings yet. Everything works perfectly.

Stefan Hnat

Just started and I love it!

Used weekly for free trial
Reviewed 2020-02-28

I honestly just started. I am studying Cognitive Science and I see mapping the things as a great, effective and useful thing to do. Its almost like a quasi-language of mind. I really like the simplicity of the platform design and all different features. I miss the things which I have described in "Cons" part of the review. But I see all of this as highly professional. Possibility to write this review to you and the lean design of this whole process is really good.

Pros
Creating MindMaps, or any kind of maps. - shareable - easy to store - easy to edit - simple solution for visualizing ideas - almost as flexible as having a marker in my hand - ability to reference ideas to other materials, content and other people

Cons
The "Get started" manual had some bugs, and I couldn't get further in the instructions. Too small icons. I had a problem to see them, I miss the ability to enlarge them or readjust them according to my needs. The flexibility of the map could is good, but could be better. 3D could be too complicated, but what about making a layers? Each layer could be for example partly transparent.

Ron Elius Santos

Great tool for new Ideas road mapping

Reviewed 2019-07-22

Outstanding.

Pros
Collaboration is an essential part of our Organization and to make sure our Ideas is properly well mapped, Mindmeister is there to help us. Gone are the ugly drawings on the whiteboard that draws unfocused and divided attention of people, now is the time where beautiful and easy mind mapping tool that draws inspiration and sparks collaborative work towards accomplishing the Organization’s goal. Design is always on-point and it communicates clearly what needs to be done strategically.

Cons
Of course, not all tool is perfect, it has all its own cons but as far as I can tell from my experience, I’m a satisfied user of this tool.