All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Mural

Digital workspace and collaboration management solution

visit website

Mural Reviews

Pros

Mural has made doing virtual workshops a lot easier, and kept them engaging and fun. I like how there are so many visual options like stickers and icons to help people express ideas.

Courtney N.

Heidi S.

Read the full review
I love creating, consuming and using templates for remote workshops. It's like doing software design, but with super direct and immediate, authentic feedback.

Michael C.

Read the full review

Cons

The mobile and tablet usage of this software is very difficult to use. For instance on mobile there is no landscape viewing, only portrait orientation.

Eduardo D.

Read the full review
Even though the interface is very similar to PowerPoint and generally user-friendly, there are a few quirks, such as moving a lot of pieces without moving the mural, that are annoying.

4.6

No other Product Even Comes Close

This tool achieves many problems and is suitable for everyday use, personal use, small groups, and large working groups. Personal Use: visual organization and planning Small Groups: can quickly move ideas into visual representations that make it very easy to share with other people. MURAL's often become the foundation for projects which people come back to time and time again. It is very satisfying...

Pros

Mural is hands down the most versatile visual communication tool available today. What I love the most is that I can use the tool every day and that its easy enough for most people to get the hang of within a few minutes, allowing anyone to interact in high fidelity.

Cons

The one thing I don't like about Mural is that some people aren't pro users—I wish everyone were =) Also wish that MURALs could be a first class object in GSuite's Drive =)

An excellent team collaboration and brainstorming platform

Despite some of the functionality having an additional learning curve, Mural serves as an excellent way for remote teams (and even teams just wanting a more 'digital' brainstorming experience) to collaborate.

Pros

I love how easy Mural makes the process of visual 'mind-mapping' among remote co-workers. If we want to do an exercise, for example, that requires virtual 'sticky-notes' for brainstorming process improvements, Mural facilitates this process seamlessly.

Cons

Mural does take a little time to get up to speed on using it. You can definitely jump right in on some of the basic features, but to use some of its more advanced features (keyboard shortcuts, for example), it will take some time to learn them.

Great for Collaboration

Collaboration. It is great for workshops and sprints. The fact that everyone can see and work on it at the same time is great, especially during remote work

Pros

The main value of this software is the collaboration aspect. I love that I can bring people together regardless of their tech fluency and with one icebreaker activity, I can get them to use the main functions they will need for the next few hours. The double click for post-its, the "follow me" function, are great. I love that you can paste a URL and it shows a thumbnail of the article.

Cons

Unless you have certain permissions, it is difficult to change your name. It was random that some people had Avatar names like "Visiting Sheep" and others "Ryan (Visiting Squid)". People were confused why it was not changeable, even though the UI allows you to write before you enter the room. But then it doesn't reflect. It is also difficult to zoom into certain post its if they are outside the main board but on the same screen. Zoom functionality is weird.

Perfect platform for design work sessions!

Solving design work sessions and visually organizing projects.

Pros

I'm a designer and given our agency is now WFH, we are all really missing our work sessions, locked in a room looking at a whiteboard, sketching, taping, etc. Mural has let us do that now digitally! Thank goodness! When one of my designers need me to review something, we set up a mural and I can sketch over their designs or leave post-it notes, plug in images for inspiration, anything. It's been such a game changer for agencies and designers.

Cons

I wish you could expand the artboards more or even have the option to do multiple artboards! There are times when we have huge projects that go on for months and we run out of room. Would love to have that be more flexible!

Perfect way to keep people engaged

Overall, mural is an excellent tool for brainstorming, getting work done, and documenting it. It allows us to think creatively and even offers templates/ existing structures for us to do this. The only thing is that people perceive it to be difficult to use at first blush, and they often write it off as too complicated .

Pros

Mural is very intuitive and helps organize thoughts. I love the sticky note features and that you can drag them anywhere, I love that you can zoom in on different parts of the mural and that there are templates, and I love that it allows everyone to create and produce work together in one place , in real time.

Cons

For some reason, people who haven't been on the platform and who are introduced to it have a really hard time onboarding. It seems like the learning curve is really steep for them, and this makes it so that some people are less willing to participate in mural during meetings, and honestly they're intimidated by it. inexperienced mural users often accidentally pick things up and drag them and can mess up work, which makes the experience worse. Internet connectivity issues can also severely affect the use of mural in real time meetings, which has led to some pushback from our team. Those who prefer not to use mural say it's 'too complicated'. Which is really a shame because it 's a great tool, if just overwhelming for newbies.

A great tool with some improvement needed

Mural is a great tool, generally speaking I am happy with it. It misses some feature (sometimes basic ones) that would make our work easier and faster especially in the configuration of new murals and organization of large rooms.

Pros

As a designer I use Mural daily to run co-design workshop with dozens of people. The simplicity of the tool makes it easy to understand and use even for people that are not much into technology. A couple of features I particularly appreciate are the content library (even though should be improved) and the possibility to multiple templates from different companies. Also che call feature looks interesting even though I never used it so far.

Cons

There are things that needs improvement fast. I'll list a few. 1. Rooms should allow to sort murals in alphabetical order and to have a simple list visualization. Also names should not be cut like they are now (the only way to see the full name is via the tooltip) 2. Rooms and archive in my opinion are not enough to organize murals. It would be way better to have rooms and then the possibility to organize...

One of the best tool for remote collaboration

So far the experience has been smooth and rewarding, You don't need to travel to brainstorm ideas quickly with your remote teams or planning​ a project with teams in multiple locations.

Pros

Gone are are the days when you have to be co-located to run a workshop or collaborate with remote product teams, you can now think and collaborate visually anywhere anytime. I love how it mimics the real world experience of brainstorming, project planning or synthesizing the data, a lot of data. It does it all in real time without the needs of the team to be co-located. If you are new to design thinking, they already have the readily available template which can be used to run a workshop or just brainstorm the ideas. It works better on laptops/desktops but the best on touchscreen​ devices. A dream setup would be giant touch screens in all the locations.

Cons

Downloading the date for offline use takes time, It sends download link on registered email id. Time taken for that email to hit your inbox is not consistent, sometimes you get it within seconds and sometimes it takes minutes.

Great Platform for Effective Collaboration

Pros

1) Ready to use templates (Business, retro) 2) No need to register 3) Easy to use 4) Helpful customer support

Cons

UI has room for improvisation The current UI looks clutter Need to motivate folks to use Mural

Drive decision making and engage your audience

Pros

I’ve used Mural for over 2 years now to run remote workshops with groups of up to 15 participants. My clients really love it! The best thing about it in my view is that you can build from independent work to group exercises and discussions and using brainstorming and the voting tool to drive decision making and action. I also like that you can invite people to collaborate with you without them having to pay for membership. I’m the Mural expert at my organisation, I’ve created a short course covering all the things people typically want to know about using the tool all Ng with some best practice tips: [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]

Cons

The only thing that used to bug me about Mural was the fact that you couldn’t identify participants who joined as visitors (one time collaborators appear as anonymous animals). I noticed recently that visitors can now add their name which is really useful.I expect this change came from Mural user feedback, they do seem to develop the features over time.

Fantastic remote collaboration tool

Overall I really like using this on teams and have shared it with many people who have adopted it on their teams.I don’t think there is a similar product out there that is offering this type of features to the level mural provides for brainstorming

Pros

I was so excited to discover this tool and share with three of my teams. Since that time it has taken off at my company and teams are even using it with clients to communicate ideas and share design process with clients remotely. My first time using this tool was in a large meeting, complete remote, where people were sharing and documenting ideas for a brainstorming session, mostly using the sticky note function. The next time I used it on a different team, we really explored the functions this program offers, with importing sketches, sketching within the program, sticky notes and connection arrows... this has been fantastic to keep the intimacy of design collaboration going while we are not next to each other’s desks sketching on the same piece of paper.

Cons

The sketching feature could be vastly improved to be more like concepts offers, vs the paint app on windows computers that is currently mimics. Some of my teams find the pricing model to be too high as well

The Sticky Note of the Future: Great way to collect, organize, and share thoughts

At work, I'm known as the sticky note queen. I always have so many thoughts swirling through my head and need a place to keep them, so I've historically used sticky notes. But sticky notes can only get me so far - they literally don't always stick around, I only have room for so many, my work space feels incredibly cluttered because of them , and there's no easy way to show a relationship between/ amongst the thoughts they represent. I love mural because it's a collective dumping of thoughts onto an online platform. I can create processes, show relationships between thoughts, collect others' thoughts, and organize it all together. It's the sticky note brainstorming tool of the future.

Pros

I love that Mural lets me choose the size of my virtual sticky note, adjust the color, and add text to it, because this helps me organize my thoughts and categorize things as I see fit. I feel I have creative control of how I want to organize my thoughts. I also love the options to use shapes and lines to organize thoughts within a larger framework, which takes the sticky note concept a step further. I...

Cons

The best way to share with specific people seems to be to send them a link, but in terms of sharing for a wide audience, It's not always straightforward to export the mural itself into a report or another document. I usually have to take a screenshot, which can't always capture everything going on within the mural in question because you have to zoom out so much to capture everything.

Nothing else like it!

My organization is new to visual thinking, design thinking and collaborative decision making. Mural has been a powerful driver of cultural change. They are constantly on the leading edge of how you can get more from their model and their platform. If you do any design thinking or want to make decisions transparently and quickly...get Mural now. Its more than whiteboarding - it's about thinking out loud!

Pros

Mural is a powerful collaboration tool that can be mistaken as a "virtual whiteboard". Which it is. But doing any collaborative decision making, doing any kind of design thinking, with remote teams is so much better with Mural than any other collaboration tool (webex, teams, etc).

Cons

Sometimes, for some users, there is a slight learning curve. So make sure for those users who are new to the tool, give them some prep work - create a Playground for them and be very intent on how you lock down the Mural so reduce any confusion they might have.

The digital whiteboard for the 21st century

Mural has helped our organization up the collaborative and interactive quotient to virtual meetings. It functions similarly to a whiteboard, but in the digital space. No more taking pictures of notes and trying to digitize them later. We just work directly in Mural and can even screenshare to see the space developing and growing in real-time. It helps us organize and align our thoughts as a team, while providing an artifact for later reference.

Pros

Mural is the thing you don't think you need and resist paying for or trying because you just don't need one more digital tool in your life and workflow. Until you experience it and realize you were so wrong. It's the one tool you actually can't live without. The concept is simple: a free space to create with a simple range of options (mostly text boxes and post-it notes). Think of it like a digital whiteboard. Then try to imagine life and meetings without a physical whiteboard. Exactly.

Cons

The range of options for what you can add to a Mural is somewhat limited, but that's a key part of its success. Having too many options would be paralyzing. Once you master the basic controls and options, the sky is the limit for what you can do. Lots of templates are available to help you get started or inspire you with what others have done and the Mural team is always offering support and webinars to help you explore the tool more deeply. One thing that has frustrated new users is getting the hang of controls especially if you are using on a computer (mouse vs trackpad controls are a bit different). But that is easily solved if you can get over your initial discomfort and commit to learning something new.

Digital-first collaboration

MURAL brings the whiteboard and the design studio wall online so that I can collaborate with clients and colleagues around the world. Now my entire workflow is in a digital medium, so I can a lot of efficiency that way.

Pros

I love that I can send anyone a link to a MURAL board and within 5 minutes they're totally comfortable using it. Yet beyond its simple on-boarding experience is a lot of flexibility that supports a wide variety of use cases.

Cons

There are some small interaction details reduce elegance: I'm not crazy about how its arrows/lines connect to notes/shapes. And it's hard to have a consistent typographic hierarchy, because text scales with shapes, and there's no other way to control type size.

Makes Online Meetings More Effective

Before Mural, longer online workshops were not effective. Many attendees were losing their focus and the meetings were transforming into inefficient gathering activities. With Mural, we keep all attendees alive and interactive. You can reach working canvas where ever you are and especially voting feature makes easier to get mutual decisions in a democratic environment.

Pros

It allows all participants to work together and collaboratively at the same time. It is easy to use

Cons

I would like to have more templates to use. An open library would be beneficial to adopt this software easier.

Mural enables easy digital collaboration from novices to pros

I've been able to grow with mural and explore new worlds of collaboration ... both enhancing face to face workshops and enabling remote collaborators to have equal voices. Support from the mural team to help us explore new ways to effectively collaborate (not just use their software) have been compelling.

Pros

I really appreciate how easy it is to dive in and get started with little complexity or knowledge. Drop some stickies on an empty whiteboard and you're off ... or play with templates, voting, and other advanced features to drive amazing new collaborations that are only possible in the digital world.

Cons

In the past, I have disliked the lack of feature parity between web and mobile versions. That has recently improved.

Unique in its kind

In my company we work a lot with design thinking and we create murals for our clients to make them create strategies. This tool has become necessary for our daily work and we could not be happier to be able to create such a good work in so less time, because Mural is so easy to use and intuitive and possibilities are endless.

Pros

Mural is the tool I've always been looking for to visualise concepts and create conceptual maps. But it is not only this, it can be a presentation tool, you can make infographics with it, you can easily and rapidly create artwork that does not need the use of Photoshop or Illustrator. It's the tool everybody should use to present ideas to the customers. What I like most of Mural is the ease of use, the millions of icons you have and can personalise with colour and the fact that you can drag and drop text, links, videos and gifs.

Cons

Few options could be improved to make it even better. For example you cannot decide the size of text therefore when you enlarge text boxes you loose track of the size. There is no option to create simple tables yet, deciding the number of columns and rows. There is no media library so you have to upload every time images instead of choosing from a library or copy and paste them from another mural. Alignment sometimes is not very accurate.

A must have for remote work!

We use mural all the time. We use it to create timelines for projects, to lead design sessions, to discuss evaluations, and to visualize our work very often. We have created our own templates for activities that we use for project managing and design thinking often. Our team loves it, and we are a huge advocate of using it, specially if you work with a team that is remote.

Pros

Mural is awesome! The thing I love the most about mural is that it allows os to visualized our work and projects in a virtual space, and many people can access it and work from it at the same time.

Cons

It was hard to learn at first. If you are trying to get a team on board with using Mural, or a new member of the team, it can be very challenging to get them to learn. Specially if you are asking them to lead a full design session or activities that need to take place on the Mural. It takes time to get used to it.

making virtual collaboration more collaborative

I work remotely 75% of the time. Mural enables me to continue hands on collaboration, building alignment with my virtual team members almost as effectively as if we were in person. This has changed the way I collaborate virtually. Now, I cannot work without out!

Pros

Ease of use - almost like having a real whiteboard in the room, easy to access by non-members

Cons

Like any software, getting people unfamiliar with it to be comfortable collaborating can take some effort.

Simple - Visual - Powerful

Mural is the most intuitive and creative ideation software I have come across. No idea can hide if you get your organization on-board. There are low barriers to learning the tool so it is an easy sell.

Pros

It's a virtual design studio on your computing device (yeah I said that).

Cons

There have been occasions where I ran out of canvas on multi-day design events. The new, larger ideation space has largely fixed that.

Mural - the best virtual whiteboard EVER!

Not only is this a wonderful and functional app, but it's beautiful to use. It's as aesthetically pleasing as it is soothing to my designer's need to get my ideas across and organize them. Whether I use it for my own personal notes, sketching, and planning or as a client based project sharing and brainstorm session, it's invaluable.

Pros

This is the most beautiful software/app that I use. With Mural, you can work on your own, and use it as a place to sketch, gather images, make notes, etc. You can then share that with as many people as you like. You can also have realtime meetings within Mural, sharing ideas, working on the "whiteboard" virtually simultaneously and communicating in a very real and visual way regardless of where the participants are in real life.

Cons

It's a little expensive but honestly it's WELL worth it. I use Mural in place of Skype meetings and Zoom meetings at times now. My clients are impressed with the ability to interact visually with both my ideas and myself and have the ability to express their own ideas, as well.

Several years of XP with Mural

Awesome platform for visual collaboration like eg remote sprint sessions, UX artifacts Personal productivity like eg Moodboards

Pros

Canvas style whiteboard in the cloud with the right tools on-board to collaborate in a visual manner. Mural Community to share ideas

Cons

Drawing tools not optimised for sketching but already improved a lot

Game Changer for Displayed Thinking

Pros

This software amazes. As a displayed thinking practitioner - I have long awaited the day where paper and pen could finally be matched by digital capability. We are at the dawn of that age. Too often these tools output look like something made in Microsoft Paint. Not the case here. It's elegant is display, intuitive in UX and powerful in import (templates) and export (data) . Integration and side by side use with Office 365 suite seems flawless.

Cons

Integration of stylus based writing is needed. Some other competitors offer the ability to transform one's handwriting into functional text which is lacking here. Having a stylus input option to create a "sticky note" and use your own handwriting would be next level for this product.

The new platform for thinking and making, together.

It's transforming the way I work and collaborate

Pros

Cons

I dislike helping new users learn how to use it

A must have for distributed teams!

I have hosted entire multi day design sessions and Sprints with complex activities and it's been amazing.

Pros

It's amazing for facilitating remote meetings and enabling equal participation between people all over the world.

Cons

User management is the stickiest part. You can deactivate people who become inactive so you aren't being billed for them, but Slack has a nice feature that automatically does that and automatically turns them back on. If you deactivate someone, an admin must manually reactivate them upon request. It's a minor admin slowdown, separate from the actual functionality of the collaboration tools.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.