Nextcloud Logo

Nextcloud

Collaboration, audio/video calling and file sharing software

Nextcloud Reviews

4.6

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.22/10

Reviews by rating

You are supporting a fabulous network and community of open source developers. Your data can be safe and it stays on hard-drives only you own.
And bonus points that I can tailor the branding with my company logo. Clients love it, I love it, and my colleagues are getting use to hearing me rave about it.
NC is Free and easy to use with my skillset. I just have lots of joy when it included a free mobile application that I can basically use personally and on the enterprise leve.
The thing I don't care for the most is the lack of documentation for the Freenas / Truenas integrations for when something goes wrong. Also the lack of 2fa out of the box is down side as well.
Search is poor in the sense that there is no integrated setup for this. Integration of Elasticsearch is described, but its way to complicated.
I lack the support of virtual files in the sync client. To my knowledge, there is no info on what the bottleneck in the system is.

Randy E.

UX Researcher

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

A great option for customizable cloud storage and collaboration

Transcript

Randy: Hi, my name is Randy. I'm a user experience researcher, and I'm reviewing Nextcloud. I give it...

Henk B.

Most comprehensive cloud software

I have to say, where Microsoft tries hard with their one-drive and SharePoint, Nextcloud outperforms them completely, that is, if you want to switch to LibreOffice for your documents ;-). Since I installed Nextcloud on my own Apache server I have been working with it daily without any interruption. Updates are installed on the fly (as an administrator I've to push the button occasionally) without any downtime for other users. What I like the most is that I don't have to use an external cloud share. I can share project data securely without the fear that I don't know how /if cloud providers can/will access my data!

Pros

What I like the most is the complete integration of Nextcloud with other devices like mobile telephone and all OS-platforms. For an administrator Nextcloud provides a 'one button' check on all security aspects of your server. Next to that, Nextcloud provides very good documentation on to how to harden your server. Updates are very easy with the GUI, I had not one single issue since I use Nextcloud...

Cons

Hardening my Apache server was a bit difficult, although Nextcloud provides also quite good documentation for that issue.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Keep control on your data

At the beginning I was using it to store my online courses to have a centralized point to consult them. Progressively I used it to backup automatically my personal pictures from my phone, numerised official documents, to share documents with friends and family. Really no more use of dropbox or things like this now

Pros

This is quite easy to set up and administrate. Updates are very easy to install. Great overall functionnalities and good documentation Open source FTW

Cons

The client may need some upgrades and a better integration with desktop maybe ?

JR

Joachim R.

Management Consulting, 51-200 employees

NC as private cloud solution

We have our critical data in our own controlled cloud environment. Our teams are spread all over the place in Germany, therefore NC is an excellent solution to support our collaboration.

Pros

Easy to setup and ease of use. Clients available on all plattforms (W10, OSX, iOS, Linux). Integratrion with Active Directory is quite essential for us. Easy to administrate. UNIX Platform. It is very robust!

Cons

That there is no integration with MS-SharePoint or MS-o365. This is really neccessary in todays world, although I am not a MS fan at all, but for business purposes this is really essential!

Consumer Services, self-employed

Best open source file share ever

Pros

I was so tired of paying someone like Dropbox to store my files that I wanted to share, this was simple and intuitive to setup and provides so much flexibility

Cons

When I didn’t keep up with the versions I got far behind and had to rebuild to get it back up and running

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1-10 employees

Perfect cloud system for private company shared disk space

Benefits of using your private, on premises cloud solution are immeasurable. I as an admin am in control of data, users, integrations, not some external company.

Pros

The amount of collaboration that is possible with NextCloud, ease of set up on private server (with Docker), perfect integration with different platforms and compatibility with tools.

Cons

The Collabora Is not there yet as reliable Google Docs alternative, but hey, it's getting there fast!

Stefanos K.

Internet, self-employed

Not only for file sharing

Pros

The core functionality, sharing files, is really easy to install and use. And there are tons of additional functionality to choose from (provided by Nextcloud itself and third party software developers). One thing worked out to be particularly useful: the integration with the Nextcloud provided meeting software Talk (although it works only for small meetings out of the box. For larger ones additional, but still free, software is needed).

Cons

There are really tons of third party apps to choose to install. And it is really tempting to add them. But this constitutes a weakness at the same time, because no one guarantees you that these apps will work with the next update of the software. And I've seen it in the past months that some apps I'd install stopped working with the next update. This is no problem of Nextcloud itself. They do not force you to install any of the third party apps. My advice would be to install only apps that have been along a long time and provide regular updates.

Computer Software, self-employed

Perfect self-hosted cloud platform

Benefits would be: accessing data from multiple user accouts and devices.

Pros

Best thing in nextcloud it's being open-source and you can host it by yourself. I think this is the most valuable thing in world with constant privacy violations and data leaks. Plus it's very functional, scalable and feature rich. When you use nextcloud, your and your companys data is truely yours.

Cons

Needs some computer skills and hardware to set up self-hosted environment

Tyler V.

Program Development, self-employed

Win for open-source over paid alternatives.

Pros

Zero up-front investment cost. Greater documentation.

Cons

Not all extensions worked properly and even some featured ones had issues. Some ideas seem half-baked still and need time to mature and become mainstream if that is even the focus.

We appreciate your feedback a lot!

Telecommunications, 10,001+ employees

Nextcloud collaboration platform

keep the data stored locally. secure file sharing.

Pros

Nextcloud Hub is full collaboration suite including file sharing, collaborative document editing, calendar, contacts, chat, audio and video conferencing. Locally hosted cloud solution gives you a confidence only authorized people can access your data. In opposite to global cloud providers the organization gain full control of the data.

Cons

user interface is designed for beginners, power-users feel too many actions are hidden behind options menu.

Jerhone V.

Telecommunications, 51-200 employees

Sweet As NAS of all time

I realise that I can actually push small businesses (consultation) to use this NAS if they want the core functionality of a shared NAS. Most of the clients that I have spoken are happy with it. This means am also Happy!

Pros

Cons

NC version upgrade is not too easy going as per my experience. However, spawning another version and mounting the previous files is easy.

Thank you a lot for this great review!

AW

Andrew W.

Defense & Space, self-employed

Managing Confidential Data with Nextcloud for a Small Business

We manage data that has RESIDENCY requirements. We cannot use public cloud companies for data storage. Nextcloud solves that problem for us: we use it for all of our client and company data, and we have high confidence in our ability to keep confidential data PRIVATE. We share our data with customers using Nextcloud 2FA and this just works so well. We use the Nextcloud apps to replace the privacy-mining apps that our standard Android phones otherwise steal from us. Nextcloud rocks!

Pros

Robustness. It just WORKS, and it's layered approach to security (where you can add your own layers) gives it World Class security management for your data, if you go to the trouble of implementing it. Simple and intuitive for users and customers to navigate. Incredibly good file sharing capabilities, with 2FA so easy to implement you'd be crazy not to do it! File restore...for when things go wrong at the Users end. Ability to integrate third-party apps and services (Cryptomator, Mountain Duck, sftp file servers) to create a server so easy we WANT to use it (most are so hard to operate but require you to use it...making it less attractive and thus likely not used properly).

Cons

Updates are too frequent and sometimes break things that were not broken. Update cycle needs to be a lot slower OR old versions need to be kept running for longer. The update cycle is the thing we fear the most. Sometimes I do so hate engineers. But in fairness, Nextcloud offer subscription options that buy more stability - they just don't offer such options that are attractive for small businesses (sorry guys). Never blindingly fast (but fast enough to not frustrate anyone). Native E2E encryption has not worked well for us, but arguably that makes it BETTER as we now add our own layer: we use CRYPTOMATOR instead as it's vastly superior to any other cloud encryption software.

MB

Matthew B.

Graphic Design, self-employed

Awesome Office and Picture Sync

All in all, this allowed me to work remotely, schedule things, and to have my data at hand. It does serve as an easy backup too. When I bring on someone else, we will be able to easily keep in sync, as scalability is builtin.

Pros

What I really like is how it will sync my photos from my phone to my cloud, which I can then have on my computer. I can take a picture, and then have it on my laptop or desktop. It allows me to have my own set of personal notes on it, that are not scanned nor data mined. They are simple to use and allow me to jot down ideas and things to do. I can sync my calendar to it, allowing me to schedule things on my computer or on my phone. Personally, I like the Docker image that they have, as it allowed me to quickly set it up and get it working.

Cons

As the software is self-hosted, sometimes it has given me trouble, but mainly because it's running on a very small computer (comparable to a Raspberry Pi). But it's been a few months since that's happened, and if I had an HA setup, that wouldn't be an issue.

OS

Olav S.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

A common ground for documentation and ideas

We need to work on documents together with our customers. Prior to using Nextcloud, they were e-mailed back and forth, a nightmare. Only few of our can provide their own cloud storage, so we help out. It's easy enough to administer and by providing that service, we don't have to work in multiple customer clouds. In the context of a nonprofit association, we use Nextcloud to work on ideas, and to collaboratively keep the minutes of our meetings. Another functionality most important to us is contacts, calendar and tasks. That way, all data remains private and under our sole control.

Pros

That it's open source, focussed on security and privacy and VERY actively developed (in terms of bugs reported being fixed).

Cons

There ARE rough edges and I tend to hit them all. I eagerly await the PC client that allows to sync some directories on demand only.

SH

Stefan H.

Oil & Energy, 51-200 employees

Great software and even better customer support

It was super easy to build up a test environment (VM image, Docker, ...) Even with other apps like Onlyoffice for collaboration it worked all well. No costs, everything on our site. Then it became bigger and bigger and we purchased the subscription to get support and a professional setup. Now we cannot afford an outage of the service, as the whole company uses the different features of the software.

Pros

Nextcloud has the best customer support I have ever seen. Every ticket gets solved quickly and with a lot of additional information from the developer. They are super precise, no questions gets lost. Essentially you are talking directly to the developer of the code. It is really the best support experience I had so long. I also want to mention the Talk feature for video conferencing. It works quite good and with no privacy concerns. It is the one feature every employee needs, now during corona crisis.

Cons

For regular users, that have never used a software to share files, the process of sharing can be complicated because of the many posibilities. Nextcloud could make thist process a bit easier.

JC

Joshua C.

Best in-house Cloud that money can (or cannot) buy

As stated previously, my intent when switching to Nextcloud was to keep all control of my data in-house so I know wherey data is stored, who can or is accessing it, how secured it is being stored and handled, and the ability to ensure proper updates are being applied on a regular basis. I have used Nextcloud in various environments from Cloud hosted VPS, to physical on-prem server, and currently in an on-prem VMWare ESXi server. Migration my instance has always been super easy. Migration is nothing more than setting up a new instance and then copying the data, database, and configuration file.

Pros

I've been using Nextcloud for well over two years just for personal files. I began using Nextcloud as an alternative to the other big guys in the game (you know who I am talking about) mainly because I prefer to keep as much control over my data as possible and having it stored in-house (literally) is important to me. Nextcloud is very flexible and offers many great features, some of which are built-in...

Cons

I honestly have no cons to list here. All aspects of Nextcloud have been perfect.

OP

Oliver P.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

The Number One-Solution for your personal and private cloud!

It has been a great journey from the very beginning to the current Nextcloud Hub 22. The solution worked out of the box and can be extended with many stable plugins so that there is anything you can dream of which can be implemented - even with writing an app on your own while the number of apps increased week by week!

Pros

Nextcloud appeared from the vast ruins of ownCloud which I always liked, but always hassled with once there was an update. It was vital from the very beginning, it was more open, it was more stable - and everything you needed to get if up and running worked like a charm straight from the scratch. With each version there was not only an evolution, but a refinement of features, an open conversation with the community (something ownCloud really lacked of) and a visible progress. Besides, working and using Nextcloud is just wonderful.

Cons

Nothing that would be worth mentioning - indeed there are no negative aspects regarding my use case and the use case of my customers. It would be nice to get a fully-featured IMAP-server integrated in Nextcloud, but this is a luxury issue. Besides, the company should take its time to grow and to keep the platform stable and maybe there will once be a Nextcloud-Talk app for macOS and Windows?

MF

Martin F.

Biotechnology, 51-200 employees

Self hosting - taking back control

Pros

I can self host my own cloud in a secure environment and retain the flexibility of storage limits, user accounts, plugins and access methods. Client software exists for all major platforms - Linux, macOS, Windows, iOS and Android. Configuration on the server side is quite straight forward and by having access to the command line tool on the server I could fix problems that arose. Documentation and user information is very good.

Cons

Some earlier version upgrades had the potential to cause problems. Intervention on the command line was needed to fix things. Recent improvements have made upgrades pretty much seamless. With a large number of plugins installed the need to frequently update the plugins becomes greater. This is done using an admin account in the web interface and is usually a one click operation. Synchronisation can get confused with multiple clients and manual resolution is usually required to resolve conflicts in versions of files.

JA

James A.

Computer & Network Security, 1-10 employees

Excellent cloud sync software

Pros

The product enables users to sync data to a cloud instance which is fully under their control. The feature set is extensive and clients exist for all major desktop and mobile platforms. It is reliable and high performing.

Cons

Support for fringe protocols such as ActiveSync is not as well implemented as I would have liked.

VR

Varun R.

Automotive, 11-50 employees

Nextcloud at a Product Manufacturing Startup

Pros

The fact that it runs with WebDAV and that it is FOSS. Allows us to build on top of the base software and extend it with our other ERP Systems and website.

Cons

The software tends to struggle with folders which have a lot of tiny files. Also, the sync client tends go into error modes when folders with a lot of small files are added. The client needs to be reset and everything continues as is. We've had data loss for 1 folder a year ago where the client deleted the entire folder. The software has gotten better over time though and we would like to continue using it. Just make sure to make good backups. A lot of the addons still require a bit of use for use in a professional setting.

dw

david w.

Industrial Automation, 201-500 employees

You Should Switch to Nextcloud

Pros

The abilities to control my own data, share with groups, and have as much space as I want.

Cons

The menus for admin and settings are confusing and not intuitive. I think they should be put in one place or consolidated.

SJ

Sharad J.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Best web application for document server

Organisation and user based file management with RBAC support. developer operation for customized look and feel.

Pros

Built in enterprise features with customized app development options.

Cons

Need to work more on document management system with BPMN integration. Application slows after enabling multiple apps.

GW

Greg W.

Real Estate, self-employed

An Unexpected Gem

I installed Owncloud about 4 years ago, and moved to Nextcloud after the fork. Originally it was kind of a lark-- I had low expectations. Almost immediately I discovered it was a service I use every day, and would never want to do without. Since the fork I've been amazed at the continuing updates which bring better functionality and new features. I'm a committed privacy advocate, and Nextcloud gives me file sharing, contacts, and calendar, in an easy to use interface, all on my own server. Nextcloud Talk, with which I can video conference with my family and business clients, is just icing on the cake. If you haven't tried it, you should, it works amazingly well.

Pros

I'm a big privacy advocate, so it is important to me to keep control of my own files, contacts, and calendar, away from the prying eyes of Google and their ilk. The ability to quickly create a password protected folder, and share it with any client or customer, with full read-write capability, is a feature I've come to depend on, on a daily basis.

Cons

I miss the ability to link my Google Drive and Dropbox storage but, honestly, I didn't use it that much anyway (privacy issues). Less of a big deal anyway, since I've now been able to upgrade my home internet service, and I can run a second version of Nextcloud on a Raspberry Pi at home, and Federate the connection to my main VPS. That means I can connect as much storage as I need. In the past I've had trouble with some of the updates, but that hasn't been an issue for more than a year. I guess I really have no complaints.

Alson K.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

The best dropbox alternative out there

The only issue I had was during the update process half a year ago, it was botched but didn't give any error and got stuck on showing version 22 was the latest until a few days ago where we realised the latest version was already 25. And we remedied that.

Pros

It's free! And since it's PHP, it's simple and quick and set up. Once done, it's effortless to use.

Cons

It's written in PHP and can quite easily become a security nightmare but as long as you do the necessary precautions and server hardening yourself, it should be fine.

TB

Tim B.

Computer Networking, 1-10 employees

"Own your Bits" is more than just a motto...

From a simplistic view, having company reference material available on both laptop and mobile devices is key to our teams success. Nextcloud allows us to arrange the data in a way that fits our needs, not how the app wants it. Flexibility - Within hours of a users request, we can have a new "feature" implemented. As a simple example, one of our consultants suggested having field data (draft source, notes, pseudo code, proposed architectural designs, etc) available as they are generated in the field. With just a simple directory structure and defining the parent app, we now have real-time data from draft designs that allows early collaboration.

Pros

Free, open source, versatile. After years of paying for data sharing and collaboration tools, Nextcloud provides these (and more) features while allowing our company to "own" the files. The data never leaves our private network, which these days is more important than ever. For less than the cost of a one month subscription to our old plan, our company purchased all the hardware needed to stand-up a Nextcloud Server that we control. Sure, there are some small monthly costs associated with maintaining the server, archiving backups, and performing updates, but it's small in comparison to the security and reliability of keeping our data on site.

Cons

Although there's considerable documentation, we experienced a few quirks during installation and deployment. Some are likely a result of our specific system configuration, but overall these were small and with a little internet searching, were quickly resolved

NB

Neil B.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

The best way to take control of your data

Customer can log into their own secure space for file sharing; internal users can collaborate very effectively; Instant Message feature has dramatically reduced email flow; Talk allows you to stay connected with other users anywhere; Federated Servers allow for "branch offices" to be set up quickly and easily.

Pros

There are a variety of ways to install Nextcloud (components, snaps, docker, pre-made vm's...), so installation is simple. Once installed, it is LOADED with great features, and very user-friendly! The community Support Forum is very active and responsive. We have even implemented Nextcloud as both on- and off-premises storage & collaboration solution to businesses as well as individuals. I have nothing but good things to say about Nextcloud!

Cons

I wish I had discovered it sooner! The first manual install to a LAMP stack was a bit of a learning curve. But, the community Support Forum was very understanding, forgiving, and helped out a GREAT deal.