All categories

Bokun

Cloud-based booking management solution for tourism industry

Bokun Reviews

Pros

I actually liked the options, the system and the way of managing it. It is recommended because it is useful, easy to use and priceless.

Ali Y.

Once you are familiar with Bokun it's a superb tool and the support team is awesome, always just a few minutes away to help you solve your issues.

Carrie S.

Benefits are to have a software we can rely on, it provides ease of use, it's practical and have the best support we have ever experienced of any partner or platform we have worked with.

Dubravko P.

Cons

But when I was faced with a weak checkout UX for our customers and with a bad support, I searched for other solutions.

Ricardo Alexandre P.

Many hasitate knowing that this is not a privately heald software but viator being behind it but I personally can't see why this is something that bad.

Angeliki G.

At the time I was using it, customer support was the worst part of it.

Ricardo Alexandre P.

• Likelihood to recommend9.00/10

Best way to grow our business

If you run a small tour operation I would certainly recommend getting onto Bokun, it gets you started faster and at the same time set you up for bigger stuff in the future.

Pros

Bokun delivers a system that integrates just about every functionality we need as a Food Tour company. I particularly like how we can easily find new partners to hook up to the same functionality. Using bokun we can give our clients a seamless experience and at the same time keep administration on our end as lean as possible.

Cons

Cons isn't the right word, the company has a few places to work harder on. - Support could respond faster - Support and new feature roll-out has to get more transparent - E-commerce integration has to be enhanced. Up selling, down selling, cross selling are all in its infancy at this moment. - Partner integration needs more work, the software currently doesn't work well with a model where brick-and-mortar tour agencies sell tours on behalf of us. (Ticketing displays incorrect messages to the end user, invoices can only be sent to one party, not to a different invoicing department, payments are not assumed to come in just before or just after the tour date).

Hi Maarten, Thank you for your feedback. We hear you loud and clear about each of your suggestions for improvement, and we thank you for taking the time to let us know. We are working on improving support response time, our new feature communications, and many product enhancements. Please do not hesitate to reach out to the support team with any other suggestions or ideas. Best, Bokun Support

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

The only booking software with options to match all needs

We used it as an operator (selling our products), as a reseller (selling others products) and through the API which we used in the software we were building. It was very easy to use and set up and offered help whenever we needed. As we were using the API we talked to both developers and customer support often and they were kind and helpful.

Pros

Whatever we needed it to do, it did. Rare were the cases when we could not set up products as we wanted them and then the developers listened and made the options available. If you are looking for software to offer your tours or sell other companies' products, Bókun is the way to go.

Cons

Sometimes it had down time that lasted for longer periods of time.

Online Booking with Bokun

Pros

When we decided for Bokun it was the mix of an online booking system for accommodation, activities plus the all Bokun Marketplace where you could connect with suppliers and vendors from all over the world and resell their products or have them resell yours.

Cons

It was rather complex to get acustomed with the product. Bokun is not a simple "plug & play" solution. You will have to own a good amount of time, dig in, get to know it and then strategically plan what you want to get out of the system and how, before doing it. A clear con today is that Bokun no longer has a focus on the accommodation section, unfortunately. Because we were on it from the beginning we still have access to the tool, which is sadly our most important tool. But Bokun is no longer putting any effort into developing the accommodaton part.

• Likelihood to recommend1.00/10

Where shall one begin...?

Bókun is hard to avoid in Iceland if one is working in tourism - sadly, there is way more room for it to improve than would be desirable after so many years, especially when accommodation and transport also come into play... Still, hopefully, the current down time has been used to efficiently improve the program.

Pros

In the Icelandic tourism industry, in which I used to work for 5 years, Bókun seems to be insurmountable when it comes to booking activities related to a trip, be it individual or (small) group excursions. It is a wonderful attempt at pooling all operators into one platform.

Cons

Maintenance during business hours without any notification toward operators, resellers, and administrators. Synchronisation issues between Bókun and operators on what is available and what is not (group size/vehicle capacity etc.) resulting in extremely iffy situations with clients as well as between operators and resellers. Less enthusiastic customer support, available only during banking hours,...

Hello there, thanks for your review and we're happy to hear that you think our platform is a good tool to have all operators in one platform, however, we're sorry to hear that there're a couple of things you don't appreciate. We're always trying to improve the platform and value the feedback we receive from our customers and we're sorry that you feel that our support hasn't been as enthusiastic, however, we do provide 24 hr chat support if needed. We weren't able to identify you via the info provided but please feel free to share any additional improvement ideas with us. You can always reach out to us via support@bokun.io and we'd be happy to discuss any of the points you've mentioned with you. Many thanks, Michaela - Bokun Support

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Great service that constantly improves

Using Bókun, either through the API or through their own booking channels is easy and straightforward. The pricing is in range of other booking systems out there. We used Bókun for a few of our clients and for a few websites we made ourselves, and it is always very easy to deploy. If I had to give one reason for you to use Bókun it would be because they have a solid customer support for an already easy to use system. If you need a booking system, Bókun should be the one.

Pros

The redesigned user interface is great. It is now simpler to use and product management is much better than a few years back when I first used Bókun. I like the ease of finding historical bookings for customer service issues.

Cons

I used to like their pricing policy until they changed it recently. Now it became much more expensive than it ever was before (ever since there was a flat fee paid per account, thankfully that is no longer the case). In general, other than the price surge, I think it is still one of the best booking systems out there. There were some issues with availability and accessibility to service some time ago but less since they switched owners. I worked with a company that used Bókun's API to book tours and setting the API was a bit challenging due to their API documentation being a few iterations behind the actual code.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

A great tour booking software

I used Bókun as a reseller, as an operator, and through an API, so from all possible angles. They did have issues, but worked on them and resolved them in a timely manner. All in all, the best tour booking software I worked with to this day.

Pros

The ease of use, the number of tour operators available through the platform, constant updates, and a solid customer support. Their UI is user friendly now that they remade most of it and is actually a massive upgrade from what it used to be.

Cons

Sometimes, they would break the API and not inform anyone about it, creating massive problems until fixed. They also had some cache issues with availability, but that has since been fixed.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Helpful to manage and grow bussines tour and activities

I can grow my company and easy manage booking ,create product and also can be partner with others through this software.So I will keep use this bokun software.

Pros

The feature is very helpful to load,manage all of product we need.All of that is very easy to use also for beginner.This software can integrate with web and any and easy to create widget.

Cons

the feature always updating following our needs.All of step very familiar,no need expert to use this software.I can create own website in this software also they integrating with payment gateway like TrustMyTravel.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Making everyday work much easier

Pros

I like how the platform give both an option to buy the product now or just pay on the day.

Cons

It would probably how bookings are placed on the calender. I'd like it to show them by coming dates as the trend now is all new bookings will be displayed on top pushing old booking far below and it makes it a bit difficult to keep track.

Thank you for your review. If you look at the "Booking Calendar" and "Passenger List," you will be able to see the view you are looking for. The Sales Feed that you see when you first login to Bokun displays a running feed of all your most recent bookings. But click over to the Booking Calendar to see all bookings in a calendar view. Email us at support@bokun.io or login to Bokun and send us a chat message, and we can walk you through it. Best, Bokun Support

Enjoyable experience

I have been extremely happy with Bokun and the customer service

Pros

Was with another software company since changing to Bokun my bookings have tripled

Cons

Calander for employees is not easily accessible. I would like to see weekly calendar that employees would see as a schedule

Bokun is amazing

Though haven't yet received guests through Bokun I appreciate their skills on several aspects.

Pros

Option for creating a web to advertise my company.

Cons

None seems to be list liked. I loved everything

• Likelihood to recommend9.00/10

Great features, with some annoying bugs

Good value for money, good connectivity, good support. Product owned by large OTA is a minus in the long-term when operators are fighting to minimize OTA dependence.

Pros

The best part of this reservation software is the marketplace that allows you to contract directly with other suppliers and resellers of tours and activities. Live support is also a good feature that most other reservation systems don't have. The help articles are quite extensive as well. Product import from Viator is a great feature.

Cons

There are some annoying bugs and features that can leave you clicking around furiously to find a solution for quite some time, eg. the setting up pricing was a mess. The software is being developed constantly and it's possible that these issues have been fixed since, but I got quite frustrated a number of times when setting up the products. Also, raising the commission from 0.1% to 2.9% without any prior notice was not cool -- I thought the agreement was that we were paying with data to Viator... and now we're paying both ways. The OTA-owned reservation systems are creating data oligopoly situations similar to that of Google which is not the right direction in my opinion.

• Likelihood to recommend5.00/10

Read their terms of service - their stance towards refunds of fees at the moment is disappointing

Mixed. In some ways it's great in others it's very frustrating. Their support is comprised entirely of non technical staff. In fact they're usually not even well versed in the software and you are told please wait 10 minutes while I get an answer for you. Sometimes they can't get you an answer. There are also some gaping limitations in for example their custom exports. One example is you can't output the amount of refunds you make in a month.

Pros

It's been good overall. What we use them for is a means to have an attractive booking calendar on our website for our customers to use to book our tours. Their platform allows for integration with some good sites like Expedia and Tripadvisor where we can also sell our tours. Platforms such as Airbnb experiences have to be dealt with manually but the booking desk on bokun.io allows for this pretty easily. It also manages availability of seats on our tours and has some good features such as automated messaging and custom exports for your sales data.

Cons

Right at this very moment my biggest gripe is with their Policy towards cancelled bookings through their platform. It's not like we've lost a crippling amount of money but it's that they're not taking a strong supportive stance towards their customers. How it normally works is if someone books through Bokun, then bokun will charge you 2.9% of the total amount of the sale. They add up all the sales...

Hi Garion, We appreciate and understand your concerns around our refund policies. As you said, we're addressing this on a manual case-by-case basis right now and so we greatly appreciate your patience. Bokun only charges our 2.9% service fee for bookings made on your website when using our online booking engine; all bookings from other channels such as offline, from OTAs like Tripadvisor and Expedia,...

• Likelihood to recommend9.00/10

One of the best in its field

Booking widget right in my web site making bookings a piece of cake! And with the backend manager I have every detail and information right in my fingertip making my life much easier.

Pros

So many functionalities and features that can cover the demands of tour operators and travel agencies. Pricing is is very fair compared to alternatives. You can even find partnerships within the software. An overall very nice booking software. Ended up using it after a long market research. And can say I'm satisfied.

Cons

Since bokun was recently buyed by tripadvisor I believe it hasn't "settled" to what viator wants to provide. Things have been fixed and I believe that there are plenty more that will be included by viator to make this booking software the top one. Many hasitate knowing that this is not a privately heald software but viator being behind it but I personally can't see why this is something that bad? On the contrary this can be something really good making you feel safe being partners with one of the leading companies in the industry.

Thank you for your review, Angeliki. We are so glad Bokun has proven to be so helpful and successful as your online booking engine and backend reservation and channel manager. Best, Bokun Support

Immense value for money

In my opinion BOKUN is the market leader for tour software that would suit ANY sized business. Their support is terrific and they are helping us grow our business with their channel manager functions. We have direct connections to major OTAs including Trip Adivsor/ Expedia and can also offer private booking areas for hotels and small retail travel agents with personalised pricing & currency. So far anything that I've wanted when I started, or decided along the way that I've wanted- they've delivered. I'm obviously stoked with the product.

Pros

We have been using Bokun for roughly six months now. I spent 12 months trying and discarding other online platforms for tour sales because they were either too hard to use (even for a techie like me) or they lacked functionality. We were starting with almost no online sales and as a small business our budget was quite low. I was looking for a system with lots of functionality, connections to the OTA's and scaleable pricing. AND BOY did I find it!

Cons

There's nothing I don't like- just take note that with an amazing array of functions comes many moving parts. You need to be quite good to manage it all- but if in doubt their support is terrific and can take the hard parts off your hands.

Hi Rae, Thank you so much for your review! Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at support@bokun.io if you have any product suggestions or any questions in the future -- we're here to help! Best, Bokun Support

• Likelihood to recommend5.00/10

Bad response rate in technical support

In most part good, the response time of technical support, mainly regarding the API is ridiculous. It's almost never shorter then 4 days and if I don't get an answer in about 10 days then I'm not gonna get answers. I would say about 70% of the queries I send to the support that need technical are not answered. But I would like to point out that when I get answers from the programmers then the service is always good.

Pros

nothing in particular some parts are good others not so good. Nothing on the top of my head I can think of.

Cons

The API is often changed without letting us know. That extras was changed so that each product has its own extra instead of many products can have the same extra. We rent out equipment in about billion tours, imagine if we need to change the picture of lets say the hiking shoes.

Hi Guðmundur thank you for your review of Bókun. Bókun's support team has grown substantially in the past year after joining the TripAdvisor family and we're currently expanding to be able to provide better (and faster!) technical support for our customers. We are happy to hear that the support you have received thus has been positive and we look forward to continuing that in the near future. We...

• Likelihood to recommend5.00/10

Support team is the best

It really helps us in our internal communication and organization. It would be great if it would help us in our marketing in the future. We have made contracts in the marketplace but none of them really brings us much business so far.

Pros

The customer service! Very quick, very clear, very helpful for all kind of questions and problems.

Cons

For example it should be more easy to make bookings for travel agents or clients which are not in the marketplace. It is a bit complicated to first set them all up as affiliates or agents and then make the bookings for them. Imagine, often hotels or booking offices call in to make a booking and I have to be much quicker to put the booking in. The software is therefore in my opinion too limited to the marketplace. I usually use the booking desk to put new bookings in but unfortunately it does not safe the commission here. I have to put it in as discount after I finished the booking.

Hi Verena, thank you for your kind words! Our help center is full of tips for using our product more effectively with both agents and affiliates. For agents, you're able to provide them with login access to your back-end system so they can make the bookings themselves without needing your assistance. You can also create an Agent Booking Area for agents to book your tours more easily. You can provide...

• Likelihood to recommend8.00/10

Review of Bokun Software

Bokun makes the management of reservations and finances much easier and much more efficient for us.

Pros

Great API connectivity with key partners to ensure that our reservation information is up-to-date and accurate. Easy to add schedules, make modifications and update as necessary.

Cons

Still missing important features with incoming bookings that are necessary for our work: notably we receive no information on the language of the activity of the reservation. We also cannot create one-off bookings/reservations of on request services; if we were able to create orders with one-time products/services instead of being restricted to selecting something form the catalogue, Bokun would satisfy all of our reservation needs.

Hi Jason, Thank you for your review and for your feedback. We are always updating and improving the Bokun product, and we appreciate your suggested product updates! Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any other suggestions. Best, Bokun Support

Finally found a Online Booking Hosting that fits all my needs

Online Booking was basically my main reason why I joined Bokun. I create my own webpages and I had used other online Booking Hostings in the past but none gave me so much as Bokun has done for me. I can connect/linked my products from Expedia, Viator, tripadvisor to Bokun a worryless of keeping track of my allotment since Bokun does it for me. I am 100% satisfied with Bokun.

Pros

It is easy to use if instructions are followed, Support Service is always there to help you or willing to get the work done for you, they are very courteous and attentive. Bokun has so many features to helping optimize Online Booking according to your customization. One gets so much for so low of charge. Helps a lot to interact and create partnerships with other users and companies from all over the world. Definitely 100% satisfied with Bokun.

Cons

I cannot think about anything that I like the least, perhaps at the start of becoming a new user I might had found it a little too much of information to learn, especially because it was also a new software and lots improvements were done to make it functional, but now it works flawless for me.

Thank you for your kind words, Francisco. We appreciate the feedback, especially about the process of learning the Bokun software. We are continuing to work on improving our education and onboarding experience since we know it is a lot to learn, especially at first. Please do not hesitate to reach out to support@bokun.io if you have any additional questions or comments. Best, Bokun Support

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Amazing digital platform to offer tours & activities

It's a perfect tool to focus all your experiences of the different suppliers and sellers in one system. At least with all sellers listed in the platform. Everyday we are having more sellers that were already selling our products in Bókun, so we have changed our agreements and made new ones through Bókun. It's easier for us. And above all, the possibility to contact new sellers registered in the platform.

Pros

The opportunity to get in touch with so many suppliers around the world. The function of the system to connect seller and supplier.

Cons

When the system forwards the booking confirmation to the supplier, the supplier doesn't receive the contact details of the customer.

Hi Cristina, We're so happy to hear that you've had such success with the Bokun B2B marketplace! Thank you for your feedback about the booking confirmation details. Each reseller can choose when to share customer information with the supplier. We recommend you speak to the reseller(s) you are working with and ask if they can adjust when they share the customer contact details. If you need more information about how the reseller can make this change within their account, please email us at support@bokun.io. Best, Bokun Support

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Best value for money reservation

At the beginning I was a bit struggling, but now as I know the system, it works very well. When I have a problem I get support very quickly.

Pros

It is cheap and works very closely with Viator (TripAdvisor Experiences) and Expedia

Cons

The fact that it is owned by the biggest player, i.e. Tripadvisor. First of all it is a big advantage but at the same time a risk with regards to GetYourGuide (another very strong partner of mine). So I use two Reservatins System. I work with bokun and have Viator, Expedia, Musement, Holibob, TourHQ etc. connected and on the other side I use GYG directly.

Hi Ralf, Thank you for your review and for your feedback. We are sorry to hear you aren't using Bokun to connect with GetYourGuide. We assure you that our goal is to get you connected to and selling on as many channels as possible, in order to put you in front of every potential customer. Bokun shares none of our customer data with the TripAdvisor Experiences / Viator account management team. If you do decide you want to use Bokun to connect to GetYourGuide, or you want to learn more about our GYG partnership, please reach out to us at support@bokun.io. Best, Bokun Support

Bokun Continues to Improve Better & Better

I enjoy using Bokun and the user experience improves all the time - Keep up the good work Bokun Team!

Pros

Bokun's features keep getting better and better. With Bokun's new interface and booking widgets it's a much easier process for customers to book products. In fact, the number of clicks to make a booking has been reduced thanks to the new popup booking widget which also retains whatever has been added to the cart.

Cons

They are not many cons to using this free software - Apart from being able to have global questions which can be shared between products!

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

The best solution for the busy Tour operator

Our experience has been great, sure we have had some challenges keeping up with all their new features but in the end it has made our life so much easier.

Pros

Ease of use and quick setup is at the core of the bokun system and they achive that without sacrificing more complex operations. We have regularly had demo's of other booking systems but none have provided us with the options and ease of use that Bokun has. Job well done

Cons

Sometimes it has been too easy to setup new products and we have ended up with too many to keep overview. Luckily, the bokun support is amazingly fast to respond when we get into trouble.

Execution and support

Pros

Speed, connectivity, ease of use, support.

Cons

Adaptability and tailoring for specific needs. We provide special products and software is not so adaptable for such services.

Hi Dubravko, Thank you for your kind words about our support team. We understand your concern about the lack of adaptability of the product for some features. If you haven't already, please do reach out to support@bokun.io and let us know what your specific needs are, and we can work with you to find solutions for your business's unique needs. Best, Bokun Support

• Likelihood to recommend2.00/10

Bokun has just become another one of the bunch

It was a great software at the beginning. Not anymore

Pros

When Bokun launched, I loved the product. It was affordable, solid and easy to implement into my website. The worst is that they slowly because just another one of the bunch by suddenly increasing their transaction feed. Now they've just become a subscription service and they put you into their PRO plan knowing that few people check all their emails and this way they will charge you when their plans change in November. Now their pricing is no longer affordable and they no longer have any meaningful differentiation from the dozens of similar software out there.

Cons

Their sneaky practices, constantly changing their plans and charging you unexpectedly. One cannot trust that this software will not change their plans and policies several times in the span of a couple of years.

Hi Ben, thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We're sorry to hear that our recent pricing change has overshadowed the product features that you used to love. We continue to offer a free plan alongside our paid PRO plan to cater to different business needs. At the moment, we're giving our existing customers a month's free to test out all of the PRO features, and have online booking...

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Great product with awesome features

This software has lots of great features. I like everything about the software and the customer service is smooth and always friendly.

Pros

The idea of using software to centralize our sales from different channels is simply amazing. Bokun helped us put in order many of our internal processes. Plus, it's simply useful to use the Marketplace to find new partners.

Cons

I'm pretty good with technology but it was hard for some of my colleagues to understand the functionality of Bókun. I guess a better design would help. Also, trying to make things more simple and user-friendly would be great. And sometimes it delays to load but not sure what the reason would be.