Revel Systems

The Best iPad Point-of-Sale System

Revel Systems Reviews

Pros

The bets thing about Revel apart from the easy to use interface is the support team - I have been super impressed with the help I have received in setting up my new POS Revel system.

MD

Michelle D.

Overall they have a nice POS interface and it is pretty stable. Their pricing is also pretty good for the base system.

MU

Michael U.

Was a great price and it integrated seamlessly with my QuickBooks Online software.

JM

Jesse M.

Cons

Terrible Company and even worst with the way they conduct their selves. Their sales reps are liars and only care about making the initial sale.

LP

Lauren P.

Then they're arrogant as hell about it. Don't even get me started on how painful, slow and counter-intuitive the backend is.

BS

Bob S.

Send you the wrong parts or non working parts. Not to mention the troubleshooting fiasco just to find out what part is junk that they send you.

BR

Brooke R.

Great

Pros

It's easy to learn and accessible. Having it on an Ipad means that it's large enough to know what button is being pressed, and to move things around if need be. Having categories set up is great so we can keep track of how much change we need or how many people came in to visit the museum, that day.

Cons

It can get a little complicated especially with adding discounts to certain purchases which can be difficult for our older volunteers to get a hold of. But is really it, on the basic side of things, it works well and does the job efficiently.

Bailey, Thanks so much for the feedback. We're delighted that Barker Mansion is making good use of its Revel POS! If some of your volunteers are having a hard time adding discounts, you can have them visit the below Revel University page for video guides detailing how to complete a variety of discount-related actions within your Revel POS: https://revelsystems.com/revel-university/categories/discounts-combos/ I hope this helps! Please reach out to us if you have any questions. - Holden at Revel

Extensive functionality

Despite the technical issues, our experience with Revel has been great due to its user-friendliness and extensive functionality.

Pros

Revel has a lot of features that allow us to easily keep track of our visitor numbers and inventory. The system is very easy for our staff to use and it requires very little training.

Cons

We have run into numerous technical issues with Revel and their customer service has not been very helpful when resolving some issues.

Overall Great POS System

My overall experience with this system has been fantastic!

Pros

I really like the ease of use of this system! It is very user friendly, especially for someone who has never used a POS system before.

Cons

There really isn’t anything I dislike about this system.

Only good if your needs are very Basic

Overall Revel is a total letdown and will be replaced by year end with a better system, lots of things we were promised could be done require using their "Open API" which costs more per month than the entire POS system does for 5 stations. We were not told about the API pricing upfront (or that there was even a cost at all, it was pitched like it was included in the regular fee) just that we could...

Pros

Cons

Functions are hard to find Very much geared towards restaurants, so if you are in another business be prepared to see restaurant specific stuff all over you can't turn off Material changes to the way things work with zero notice Can only see profit margin by employee no P&L type report. Inventory uploads regularly fail with no notice, and no way to tell what was added without doing a manual compare of before and after and trying again with the additional items.

Hi Michael, I am truly sorry about your experience and I have shared your feedback with our sales management team, as well as the customer service team. I am confident that once we get we get a bit more info from you, we will be able to come to a resolution in terms of API and reporting. Our customer service team will be happy to follow up on any outstanding issues you have. Regards, Sarah, Customer Advocacy Manager at Revel

Revel, the good and the bad

Helpful with keeping track of sales and labor. Easy to learn and easy to train new employees on.

Pros

Easy to use and set up. The reports are pretty good. As a simple POS and time keeping system, it works well

Cons

If you need a POS that will help you with in depth inventory control, this is probably not the system for you

Thank you for the feedback, Bill. We'd love to hear about what we could do differently with our inventory management tool¿if you'd like, please submit a feature request at https://support.revelsystems.com/hc/en-us/articles/208479946-Suggest-a-New-Feature. Thanks again!

Maybe not for restaurant

The system was easy to learn, thanks god because there is no onsite help and if you have a problem you have to resolve it with and onl the phone operator! That can be time consuming and frustrating if you are not very technologically friendly.

Pros

Easy to use. Easy to learn staff friendly have a portable option, reliable enough. Use iPad and doesn’t take too much space.

Cons

Not set up toward restaurant, long orders arrive in the kitchen, with no clear consolidation of the order, making it difficult to work with big parties. And few little similar problems, that make you think, this system was not developed for restaurant

WOULD NOT TOUCH THEM

very poor

Pros

The local (Australian) staff who sold it to us, were helpful and it all went well. No longer managed by Australian staff and it went down hill from then. Really have little good to say about it after 3 years of use.

Cons

Offered a one off fee relief of $200 during shutdown. Every other app gave 100% fee relief or significant discounts. Cost of hardware was for fixed period, but they offered no discount once that period was over. Basically intend to charge for the cost of the hardware, indefinitely. Support is provided by eastern European call centre. Pleasant and helpful but a minor language barrier. Cant do many basic things you'd expect. Such as a set menu with course options Level of integration is extremely poor. Basically all at additional cost. Including integration with essential accounting app, which they claim in advertising is integrated. Its not.

One of my worst business decisions....

1. Difficult to set up. I'm nearly set up now and it took me an average of 10 hours a day for 6 or 7 days. 2. Misrepresented themselves as being able to scale down for a small quick service bar with bar tabs. 3. Hold times for support are any where from 20 sec's-1 hour!! Unreliable. 4. Support staff are very nice and try hard to help, but there is some language barrier with every support staff member...

Pros

Very adaptive if you are FSR. Many ways to get to open tabs. Support team emails articles and/or videos to help after virtually every support call . Support staff are very friendly and patient.

Cons

SOUNDED good, but they couldn't deliver! Make sure they demonstrate the feature you want to use before purchasing. I spoke to my sales rep for 30-45 minutes and multiple times and still the system did not work as expected! I could not remove the majority of dining options (we are a bar with NO food or table service) I need lots of tabs and good inventory tracking of my liquor, kinda like a night club....

We use it in a coffee shop, and it has helped a lot.

Pros

You can program it to accept tips on charge card which increased the barista's tips. IT was a lot better than our previous system.

Cons

The backend stuff is hard to figure out and the customer service isn't the best. Also you need quite a bit of training to be comfortable with using it on a day to day basis.

Hi Kyle, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review and for the feedback! Cheers, Sarah at Revel

Good POS system

Very good functionality and high quality reporting system. I think this one one of the most advanced POS systems I have used.

Pros

Revel is user friendly and I love that we can use it with iPads.

Cons

There are some glitches and system can freeze from time to time. I have also had difficulties with our other software that integrates with Revel. The two systems often stop communicating with each other.

Thanks very much for the feedback, Javier! We're constantly trying to improve the quality of our products and services and appreciate you bearing with us through the bumps.

Skeptical at first...

After months of wrangling with the decision of which system to invest in I cautiously went forward with Revel. 2 terminal system only so if it didn't work out the damages would be minimal. I learned the hard way jumping in with two feet real quick with Clover. (Different business than the one I bought Revel for. The CC processor is really to blame for saying that Clover is a good system for full...

Pros

Basic programming is relatively easy, uploading large amounts of items via excel spreadsheet was great. The support has been awesome! We have made a few mistakes on our end and they have gotten us back on track, plus quickly been able to guide us through some more complex feature programming. No issues have gone unresolved and none have gone into the 2nd day. No issues have been in any way critical or serious either.

Cons

Even though our system is 100% hardwired it still requires an access point that is wireless. I don't like the potential issues with wireless. A few days ago one of the terminals was having a spotty connection issue.

Just what I needed (and didn't even know that I needed!)

We have now been live with our new Revel POS for a week. Naturally, there were a few issues during the switch over, but most of those were a) problems with my setup and b) easily corrected with help from the on-boarding team, tech support folks and very comprehensive online documentation. As of this writing, I believe we are finally “there.” I am really liking Revel’s product. To be honest, I...

Pros

Flexibility -- ability to configure to work the way MY BUSINESS works Customer support and training

Cons

Needs to get their integrated EMV/contactless payment integration up and running. Currently that only works for one or two payment processors.

Hello Chip, Thank you so much for your detailed input. There's so much useful advice here! We agree that with a robust platform it definitely takes some time to customize, but once you do, you will reap the benefits of having intelligence about your business easily available. We hope to continue to continue to provide stellar service so that you can run your profitable cafe. Your shout-outs to Support and Onboarding will be passed on! Thank you so much for your support and belief in our product and what we are working so hard to accomplish. Cheers and thank you again. -Sarah, Community Manager, Revel Systems

Revel POS--a powerful tool for hospitality and retail

Revel Systems POS is a very powerful tool that is well-supported, constantly undergoing updates and improvements (and that our salesman and installer have been very easy to work with!) I have generally found tech support to be responsive and they have usually always helped me resolve any issues.

Pros

The retail, restaurant and quick service platforms that we use in our establishments are designed with those unique industries in mind, and the system is powerful enough to handle close to 10K inventory items in retail; dozens of employees in retail and restaurant establishments; and even a quick service environment where hard-wired Internet service is not feasible. We have had a great experience with our salesman, installer and tech support throughout our relationship with Revel.

Cons

The off-the-shelf Revel POS system is not a custom system made to a customer's exact specifications, although Revel does offer that service for additional cost. Customers should know what their needs are before implementing the system. The system is based on a columnar, spreadsheet, model, and for many installations that may result in the user interface having several layers of menu screens that need to be negotiated in order to retrieve a menu item. The system is pretty flexible, however, and offers the means to work with a huge number of inventory items in a wide variety of platforms (hospitality, retail, mobile.)

Not for the technology newbie....

The only reporting feature I would love to see is comparative reports so I don't have to piece them together. I want to know things like "sales last March versus sales this March", and "labor last month versus this month". That's how we track trends and right now we have to export as excel and wrote our own formulas to analyze this data. Overall, a good system for our small business.

Pros

Great reporting on the back end. Responsive to feedback. Constantly evolving and listening to customers. VERY customizable. The systems are reliable (as long as your network is reliable) and I haven't had any Revel related downtime. We are a 7 day a week operation with two locations and the only problems we have had have been related to our own network reliability and one faulty iPad. Once we upgraded those, we were fine.

Cons

SUPER labor intensive to set up yourself. If you are at all uncomfortable with technology and terminology, hire someone to do this for you. If you are comfortable plucking around in setting up the backend yourself, go for it. I had TERRIBLE frustrations with the support team at launch. It was clearly an overseas call center and there was a language barrier where the agents were likely trained to simply...

We use Revel for our restaurant for the last 2 years and it's challenging

It's easy to use, at least the front part and it's popular among employees a lot of locations used Revel and when we have new employee it's not rock in science to learn it, that if he/she doesn't' already knows it from a previous job.

Pros

It's pretty easy to use at lease the front end, the back end can be more user friendly, I'm able to update things really fast (menu items) even on our website menu, once I do it in Revel. It's running smoothly, never had a hardware problem with it and the communication between back end and from end is just a click away.

Cons

It's pretty expensive, comparing with other softwares, customers service support is not that fast or knowledgeable (at least with the things I needed), for example I've called customers support 5 days ago, then I've submitted an email on the 8th and today is 14th and I haven't hear from you guys. The Inventory and Recipe books were so hard to use and really time consuming (example: if I buy one item...

Amazing features and functionality for accurate business analysis

Give your customer service agents at your call centers raises! I have spent dozens of hours on the phone and talked to numerous people from all over and every single one of them has surpassed all expectations of product knowledge and customer service! That makes a world of difference!

Pros

The features from a business owner's perspective are unparalleled. Everything is totally customizable tofu the specific and unique needs of individual businesses. The customer service alone makes this worth the money. I have never looked forward to calling customer service before, but the training of the employees of not just product knowledge, but also customer service is absolutely unmatched.

Cons

I have three specific areas of opportunity for Revel. 1) Taking payments of split checks (especially when one guest leaves earlier than others) is the worst system of any modern systems I have ever worked with. After splitting the checks, it is impossible to change the way you split the items if one guest has already paid and left. This really needs to be addressed if the product is going to be marketed...

Good but troublesome

Pros

Very mobile, orders can be sent in immediately. Very easy to use as far and table waitstaff. Over abundance of information once it is set up and functioning its great.

Cons

There is too much needless information on the back end. its very overwhelming because you have to sift through it every time you use it. There should be custom saves for only the information you use in the reports/options. Its retail and other business type options need to be addressed. This is the main reason i would not suggest using it. The constant updates can be useful but buggy as well. For example a split ticket transaction will literally crash the program (this is as of 1/2/2018). A undressed issue for a month now. Its more like a application a engineer designed rather than one that the end user would find useful. I have use Revel POS for years and still do but am now looking for a replacement.

Hi Chris, Thank you for the feedback and we are glad to hear that you like Revel overall. I have asked our Client Relations team to get in touch with you to resolve your issue with the split checks. Our product developers are always looking for input on design. I will reach out to you directly to set up a time to collect your suggestions. Best Regards, Sarah, Advocacy Manager at Revel

An expensive

The Revel system is not for all businesses. The sales reps will tell you that the Revel system is capable of everything that all other POS systems will do. However to accomplish the same functions as others it is not as easy as they make it seem. We have considered switching to an alternate POS system because the complicated structure of the Revel system takes quite a bit of work to manage.

Pros

The employee management features are good. It easy to create employee schedules and track employee profits and sales.

Cons

We switched to Revel from QuickBooks POS because we wanted to move to a cloud based POS. Our goal was to be able to manage our retail store and build an e-commerce business. We were told that the Revel system was capable of everything that QuickBooks POS did and much more. However, once we began building it out we quickly realized it was not capable of doing what the sales rep told us it would nor...

Using Revel to manage all of my point of sale needs and back office systems

Revel has been the second POS system I have implemented in my business and it will be the last one for various benefits it has given me compared to previous systems. It is reliable! If there are internet connection problems for either transactions or merchant card processing,

Pros

Cloud based, so I can access settings and live information from anywhere. Various modifiable functionalities. Back end reporting is extensive with multiple breakdowns of information available which helps me analyze my business' performance. Tech support are determined to help solve every call. They follow up to ensure things are running well. Very happy with the tech support for any small or large issue.

Cons

It takes a little while to learn how to get around the back office management platform and to be able to fine tune all the settings for your particular business processes. Tech support are always happy to help me find what I need and/or help fix whatever settings might be in question.

Excellent System that Works Great

We have had others system and this just works great for us. It has a pretty good inventory system and a host of reports. The key is its makes the sales process easy. I have no problem giving Revel a strong recommendation.

Pros

Our company is the merchandise concessionaire for Athletic Events at Army West Point and we are big fans of the Revel System. At our latest game, we had 11 stands and were able to push through almost 2000 transactions in a little over four hours. The system has worked flawless for us and our gross sales is up over 20% this season because of the ease of sales. We added a scanner and the fans love...

Cons

You will find Revel is a little more expensive than other systems. They also make a decent profit on the hardware. But it is clearly you get what you pay for....when you have great service and a strong working system....you have to pay. This is a professional system.

Works Well for our Small Business

Overall, Revel is a good company. We are a small convenience store at a marina and campground and they are working well for us. One of the reasons we went with Revel is because they have teamed up with Shell Corp. to create an integration for fuel pumps and the Revel point of sales. Revel is the cheapest option on the market, that I was able to find, to be able to offer my customers pay at the pump options. This is still in the works, but they are making steady progress and I am excited for when we can try it out.

Pros

Revel is easy for employees to learn (even the non-tech employees) and to use. They have good updates; they listen to their customers about what is needed and then try to implement it. Our store is an hour away from the main office, and we are able to see the inventory from the office to place orders for the store! The reports are useful, varied and well laid out for ease of reading.

Cons

The integration between QuickBooks Desktop and Revel has been a bit tricky. I wish their support team was a bit better at understanding how the two programs talk to each other. I have found that I need to have the Revel Support team tell me how Revel is supposed to talk to QuickBooks and then I'll have to go to the QuickBooks support or forum to figure out how to set up QuickBooks so that it does what Revel intended.

A Nightmare...probably a good product but will take you almost a year to learn it.

Once we were able to talk to tier two people, things improved.

Pros

Lots of good reports ... if you finally figure out how to get to them. Till is good. Lots of info in "University" must read it two or three times before it makes sense.

Cons

Labor intensive, requires many many steps to accomplish one thing. Has left our accounting in shambles Unforgivable i.e If you make a mistake in entering purchase order, you can't fix it . It just stays there forever "Integrate with QB' ... does not fully integrate...i.e does not integrate line for line First Tier support only repeats what you tell them is the problem, no fixes Took two weeks to get the wiring set up right d/t false directions from support Has "Chat" but nobody chats... just refers you to something else

Hi Clarice, I am sorry to hear that you have had some trouble learning Revel. Our platform is pretty robust and can definitely take some time to learn since there are over 500 settings to allow you to customize your point of sale. We highly recommend working with an account manager to optimize your setup and to help you achieve your overall business goals. That said, your feedback is being heard...

Tons of customizations!

No other system had the flexibility to provide what we needed. Customization took months to get sorted out (and I am a network engineer during the day). Despite all the hard ships I couldn't imagine switching again. I still experiment with competitors that have lower fees, however can't match half the features and flexibility I get with Revel.

Pros

The ability to customize the POS Online ordering built in at decent rate (may be more expensive now) IPad based (flexibility) Integrates with many payment processors (heads up on gateway fees)

Cons

Expensive Seems like they are moving to a la carte pricing structure (more expensive) Customer Support is based in Philippines, while sometimes good they don't really understand sometimes

Hi Chris, Thank you for the review! We appreciate your input and it's great to hear you like the flexibility you get with Revel. Our Support team, however, is no longer based in the Philippines, as of about a year and a half ago. We have U.S. and Lithuanian-based Support now and we have gotten great feedback. Hope your experiences of late have been great ones. Cheers, Sarah at Revel

Best and more robust system in the market

Pros

The best thing about this System is the easy and intuitive interface. It greatly facilitates the operations of the day and allows us to always work in a better way. It has, also, a number of options and improvements that allow me to adapt to my needs, especially the part of the discounts. They are the best!

Cons

The bad thing is the implementation, being such a complete software it takes a long time to configure all the functions to your liking to work in a better way. However, with practice and patience, it is possible to get ahead.

Hi Santiago, Thank you so much for the 5-stars! So glad to hear that Revel is working well for your business. Our product team has worked hard to make improvements to the Discount functionality so it's great to hear that you are a fan! Revel is definitely robust and can take a bit of extra time to configure, but, we agree, that once you get it set up for your business, you will be happy about your decision. Thank you again! Cheers, Sarah at Revel

Dissapointing product and support

I stuck with Revel for the first two years of my business because of the desktop QuickBooks integration, which made things easier on my accountant and myself for bookkeeping. Now that they no longer host a Sync app, they are trying to force everyone onto QB online. The support agent I spoke to claimed that there was no way to export the data manually to desktop. The system was clearly designed for...

Pros

Formerly integrated with QuickBooks desktop Offline sales if internet goes down Somewhat intuitive POS station (still some issues)

Cons

Eliminated Desktop integration on short notice Back end dashboard is difficult to navigate Customer service can have EXTEMELY long wait times Sales team is unreachable after you start paying

Thank you for your feedback, Kerry. We apologize for the frustrating and disappointing experience you've had; someone from Revel will be reaching out soon to see what can be done to make things right.