All categories

Sage 50cloud

Cloud-connected accounting solution for small business

Sage 50cloud Reviews

Pros

Customer service is outstanding. This product does everything we need to run our business from payroll to inventory.

Amy K.

Sage50 is a widely used product for a good reason. Sage is very user friendly and combines many of the necessary items for businesses.

Chad H.

Overall, a good piece of software and it still does exactly what you need it to do.

Richard F.

Cons

Difficult to find problem relating to prior year. Lack of Efficiency while entering Journal Entry.

Mirza Muhammad I.

jscottu

We are also constrained by the # of fields within the payroll module--as far as the category in which the employee worked. We also lament the lack of integration with our bank, microsoft programs etc.

Jill P.

My prefered accounting software

Pros

The best thing about Sage 50 is that it is very difficult for anone to make a mess of things. The controls are very tight, ensuring that an ignorant employee cant mess things up.

Cons

It is very rigid and stodgy Most reports cannot be shown across fiscal years. Little ability to customize reports.

Sage 50 Review

Sage has always been helpful through online or phone calls whenever you need them. Find the right consultant for you, and you experience improves.

Pros

There is alot of things that are already set up for you to just hit the ground running and a lot of items integrated into the system to help small businesses that need a solution but no time to customize a whole system.

Cons

Sage 50 allows for minimal customization from their out of the box set up software. This plays as an advantage, but does not allow you to get the information you want in the view you want.

Good...But A Little Expensive

I use the Canadian version of the software. I suspect it's basically the same as the American version, except for sales tax and payroll, but I would check a review of that version for any American users.

Pros

Sage 50 is an easy-to-use piece of accounting software aimed at SMEs (small and medium-sized enterprises), and it is one of QuickBooks' major competitors. It's fairly easy to find people who are familiar with Sage 50. That's a plus for small businesses looking to find an employee or outside service provider to take care of their books. If you are looking to do the books yourself, Sage 50 is relatively...

Cons

I found Sage 50 to be glitchy in the past. I have spent too many hours on hold or on a call with their tech support. I use the payroll-included version of Sage 50. I also have a support package. In all, that's not competitively priced. If it weren't for the fact that some clients have been using this software for years and are reimbursing me for the cost of the software, I would not be using it. QuickBooks is a better value.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

A Great investment for small/medium size businesses

I love Sage 50. I use it daily and would not go to any other program

Pros

The ease in use of the program is a major factor for small business people who are not financially savvy. They can use the program without a huge learning curve.

Cons

Bank Reconciliation's are not as simple as they could be, which causes a lot of small business people from doing that important task

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

I have been using the sage billing system for several years. I recommend

It is software that has been with me daily for several years, I'm already in tune with the program, the experience is fantastic

Pros

Very intuitive, easy to perform everyday tasks , Has very important sales charts, In the main frame we have all the necessary information, we don't need to go around opening several menus.

Cons

In my case, I cannot reconcile with my accountant , It is not easy to layout invoices is not a very easy process

• Likelihood to recommend7.00/10

Good for relatively simple manufacturing businesses

Good for the first $5M - $10M of a manufacturing business's life, but not excellent to go beyond that. Do yourself a favor and scale your software up as your business grows.

Pros

Anybody who has used any other accounting software packages will instantly understand Sage 50. It does what it's supposed to -- you can track money in, money out, and all via accrual accouting.

Cons

At a certain point, you outgrow it. If you're a relatively simple manufacturing business with only a couple product lines and a couple manufacturing lines, this works for you. Once you start scaling with multiple locations, cost centers, etc., you'll outgrow it.

• Likelihood to recommend1.00/10

Horribly Expensive / Lousy Customer Support

They downloaded the cloud version a few years ago. The first thing it did you erase everything, and I lost everything. Thankfully I had a flash drive backup, but it would only work if I purchased the EXPENSIVE version, which locked me into the EXPENSIVE version from then on.

Pros

I have used Sage for at least 20 years, going through I don't know how many name changes. Back when it was on a CD I didn't have a problem at all. At one time I had 2 stores and 8 employees. Now I am semi retired and work alone. It has served me well.

Cons

Some where along the way THEY decided to upgrade me to a higher level version on the Cloud. I don't want the Cloud. But since they upgraded me to a very costly version, there is no way they can downgrade to a simple version. All I want is the simple Traditional version. In January I had to reinstall the software, which I did. My invoice says this subscription expires 04/04/2021. But they are now billing me $732.95 due 04/06/2020, saying the other invoice is not correct. Their customer support if Horrible, IF they actually ever call you back. And thy aren't there on weekends.

• Likelihood to recommend0.00/10

Horrible customer service

Our business closed due to COVID-19, we called in November of 2020 to let them know we wouldn't be renewing our subscription for payroll services in 2021 but, needed to figure out how to print out the 4th quarter returns and W-2's. We were advised it wouldn't be a problem but, they had not updated the tax forms for the yearend yet. Today, we got a different answer......SOL, you don't renew your subscription you don't have access to the forms.......after being a customer for over 20 years this is their thank you ~ NOT!

Pros

Unfortunately, none that I can think of at the moment

Cons

Our business closed due to COVID-19 and they won't allow us to access the payroll forms.......after being a customer for over 20 years .......we're SOL........this is their thank you ~ NOT!

• Likelihood to recommend8.00/10

Good for small business.

I am pleased with Sage overall.

Pros

The ability to use Sage for small business as far as daily accounting, accounts payable and receivable is vey good. It offers a lot of other useful applications if you wish to grow.

Cons

The initial set up and everyday use can be a little intimidating and aggravation.

• Likelihood to recommend1.00/10

Software backup headache

Causes anxiety attacks. I have more negative things to say then I do positive. If you buy the program and upgrade and then downgrade expect to have some sleepless nights.

Pros

The software is fairly user friendly as far as reports and posting goes.

Cons

Every year you have to pay to upgrade to file and if you don't upgrade in the same version. YOU CANNOT open your back up files. Sage does not want to help they want your money. I have paid them thousands of dollars over the past 15 years and now I don't want to use the same expensive software but have downgraded to a affordable version for my little business. The computer I had the version that I could open my old files on crashed during a Microsoft update. Even though I have the backups I phoned sage to see how I could get the software back to open my backups and they told me I have to pay the fee to upgrade. I do use QBO online and much prefer this program and the people their are understanding.

• Likelihood to recommend7.00/10

Easy to use, nice reports; troubleshooting and updates can be a pain

I used this software for really basic accounting functions and used a separate CRM and ERP software that I just journaled information from into Sage. It was great for that and for the everyday AP, payroll and GL. Overall I really liked it and it gave me few problems. The issue was that when there was a problem, it was really time-consuming to fix and I often had to bring in outside tech support when Sage couldn't solve the problem, so it cost a lot of extra time and money a few times a year.

Pros

I loved this program in that it seemed to be made for accountants, unlike some software that seems to be made for non-accountants. There are a lot of great reports to choose from, and each can be easily formatted to whatever file type you need. The payroll is awesome and easy to use.

Cons

Updates can sometimes cost you functionality, which can be a real problem if you are in the middle of payroll. Payroll information is only available for the current and previous calendar years, which is tough when you are undergoing an audit or due diligence. Some reports have limited time range parameters, so if you have a fiscal year that doesn't fit into those parameters, it can be annoying to...

• Likelihood to recommend5.00/10

Sage 50 Accounting

Sage 50 Accounting is ideal for the small business that is looking for a comprehensive, customizable core accounting solution that includes: A/P, A/R , well developedBilling, Invoicing, Inventory Management and Financial reporting. Sage 50 Accounting integration with Microsoft Excel, Outlook and PDF are some of its other features. Sage 50 Acwell-developed program that is great for the small business to keep their books organized. Sage 50 Accounting recognizes that small businesses may not need some of the more advanced features that some of its higher versions have. This is why Sage 50 features are pretty basic, providing support for tasks such as project management, costing, invoicing, reporting among others.

Pros

Easy to Use. Ease of implementation. The flexibility of financial reporting. A functional software for small uncomplicated businesses. Integration with core Microsoft applications like Excel makes a good product for analytics export into a spreadsheet.

Cons

It is very basic. And also does not have many capabilities. Finding Transactions can be a bit Tricky. Check printing has its own set of problem. Need to have a fair level of accounting knowledge to use it correctly.

Sage 50 'Quantum' Canadian is very stable but limited. No significant new features for last 4 years.

Pros: - Sage 50 Canadian is very stable, any 'crash' is almost always a hardware or operating system issue. - Vendor technical support is prompt and helpful. - Uses a solid 'Enterprise-grade' back end database. - ODBC is free, and included. - Free SDK is available. Cons: - Response to bugs is to provide work-arounds - No significant new features since 2011. - Screen designs are...

• Likelihood to recommend6.00/10

Used to be the standard for small business in Canada, but no longer.

I have recently discovered Xero and moved my accounting practice to this software. It is so simple with the convenience of being cloud-based. I now recommend Xero to my clients and given its simplicity (yet still very powerful) I can foresee clients taking charge of their own bookkeeping and getting rid of their existing bookkeepers.

Pros

Sage 50 was the accounting program I used to recommend to all my small business clients. Stable program that has most of the simple functions needed for most small businesses. Most used small business accounting software among my clients and almost all bookkeepers in our area use and have experience working solely with Sage 50.

Cons

It's not the most user-friendly program and has a reputation of being difficult for non-bookkeepers and bookkeepers alike to use properly. Sage has been slow to make it more user-friendly and were behind in moving to cloud options. Personal experience is Sage support is very slow to respond to queries.

It gets the job done!

The software is pretty self explanatory meaning I don't believe new users would require additional training in order to use the product. I think if they would develop a better adjustment scenario (ie. Journal Entry adjustments) I think this product would rate up there with QuickBooks. This product is definitely worth the look!

Pros

The customer service at Sage is extremely helpful! I have had to call multiple times, and each and every time they patiently help me through my problem. I think it's great if you have a small to medium sized manufacturing business and want something to keep track of everything.

Cons

Comparing the software to QuickBooks, I think there is a lack of efficiency in entering Journal Entries especially when you happen to find a problem that originated in a prior year. Other than that, I think the software is great for recording daily transactions and keeping track of inventory (for small to medium businesses).

• Likelihood to recommend8.00/10

My Best Friend

For all of us who stuck with Peach Tree from back in the day, our time has come. I simply love this application. Its my best friend. As a small business owner I can tell you the ability to have my accounts at my fingertips while I am on the go blows my mind. I am tickled pink. I have to pinch myself. I am able to see my inventory, check prices and stock and give clients discounts and assurances that I can reliably trust in real time. The subscription cost is almost nominal for the value it gives me.

Pros

Access to my Accounts in real time on my mobile device. Easy to use and covers all that I need for a small business owner who is the the head cook and bottle washer. I can process payments and check on outstanding receivables while on the go. check stock and see sales. the reports are exactly what I need to know to make informed decisions I can communicate with my customers and suppliers with built in correspondent templates. based on the information at my finger tips I can have a better relationship with my supply chain and customers. requires very little setup.

Cons

I am sure that I will think of one in the future but for now I am at a loss. the speed could be better when searching a large record set, buts thats on me and my resources.

Sage Peachtree is better...not easier

I have used both for several years. There is no question that Sage/Peachtree is not as "user-friendly" as Quickbooks...at least for the first month or two. But as you begin to actually understand accounting and your bookkeeping goes on and on you discover some very frightening things about Quickbooks. They put everything onto one, big, gigantic database-unlike almost every other accounting system...

Pros

Usually lower in price. It doesn't try to hide the "debits and credits" as much as quickbooks does. In the long run that is a good thing. You will learn real accounting much quicker with peachtree than quickbooks (and you should learn it anyway).

Cons

Peachtree is not as popular as quickbooks so there are not as many "3rd party add ons" available. If there is some particular 3rd party add on you need to use and only quickbooks has it then the decision is made for you.

• Likelihood to recommend7.00/10

Decent accounting software for small business

It is good software

Pros

It is easy to teach a new user how to begin entering transactions. You can set up an assistant to begin entering basic transactions almost immediately. When searching a list (purchases, payments, etc.) of transactions, it is not necessary to have entire name or number. The software will locate the search criteria even if it is just a couple of characters in the middle of a string of text.

Cons

Chart of accounts does not have a true hierarchy so you cannot get totals to roll up for sub accounts. It is often tricky to customize a report accurately. Some reports will omit data because it comes from a specific "journal" and there is no way to make the report include all relevant "journals".

• Likelihood to recommend2.00/10

Solid but somewhat limited software

not interested in continuing to use this software. Not interested in recommending it to others. I have now switched over to different software.

Pros

Sage50 seems to be created more so for accountants or those with in-depth knowledge of accounting. I have a degree in accounting so I found it extremely easy to use. Most functions are easily located and you can choose a number of them from one screen. The software has very good reports which is an important factor to management. Sage is very similar to another popular accounting software program used by small and medium businesses, so it should be fairly easy for employers to locate employees who have used Sage.

Cons

Tends to be glitchy. If you have an issue, it could be very time costly to get the issue resolved. Customer support and the time frame in which it is provided needs improvement. Another negative aspect is the cost as compared to its biggest competitor. Sage is more expensive.

• Likelihood to recommend0.00/10

Worst experience ever

I had one call and because the tech rep could not stay on the phone while I did as he asked, he did up a ticket...which he immediately closed. When I called back in they could not / would not reopen that ticket. I got pushed to sales and they would not give me back my one support call. That rep said I could speak with a supervisor, then pushed me back to tech. When I called in, someone took my name for the supervisor to call me back, and that never happened. This is the worst customer service I have seen in years. Meanwhile my newly purchased upgrade, is not doing what it is supposed to. Thanks for nothing Sage!

Pros

Fine once you get used to it; it is not as user friendly as Quickbooks

Cons

Functionality between computers has been a problem and tech did not help; read below

Major limitations for everything but the most simple operations

Want to do accounting? Sage 50 will do it almost as well as Quickbooks for a higher cost and with less support. It's also a lot harder to find an accountant that works with Sage and actually knows what they're doing. Want to buy and resell products? Sure, it'll mostly work. Want to use it for manufacturing/assembly? Forget it, Sage 50 can't do it properly and will cost you an incalculable amount in lost time and opportunity. No lot tracking, horrible reporting, no forecasting, only 5 user defined fields (none of which are very useful), no BOM variances, no part revisions allowed, no mass BOM update, etc.

Pros

Better than chiseling on a stone tablet, though less reliable.

Cons

Oh so many things: Database is SLOW No user workflows, cannot require approvals, checks, releases, etc. No ability to limit access to fields, or to require approvals on data entry Fields are not updatable in table views and require opening a screen for each item to update. Finding information in Sage is difficult, must search through multiple screens, reports, or excel spreadsheets to find date Order...

• Likelihood to recommend9.00/10

Great product that serves basic accounting functions

Pros

This product is a great product for small to medium sized businesses. It allowed us to track over 20 different departments based on the way we structured our chart of accounts. Within those 20 different departments, we were also able to track 7 different expense categories (not accounts, groups of accounts). Reports look nice and are somewhat easy to build. Entering AP invoices does not require you know your debits or credits. Same goes for AR invoicing. Journal entries are simple enough to put in and the general ledger reporting is very clean.

Cons

We were limited based on the number of items we wanted to track. In addition to account number, department, and expense category, we were hoping to track school projects, use tax, physicals expenses, location. This forced us to do a lot more reporting in excel than we would have preferred.

• Likelihood to recommend9.00/10

Good software if you know what you are doing

Once I became familiar with this software and how to work my way around it, it has remained an integral part of our business accounting. The longer we use it, the more valuable it becomes. The sheer magnitude of accounting and business tracking capabilities is incredible.

Pros

Sage is regularly updating and improving their software. There are many ways that you can make mistakes, but if you know what you are doing it is generally easy to fix said mistakes. The reports are a life saver when it comes time to do taxes or if I simply need to review something on an account.

Cons

You will want at least a very basic accounting knowledge before trying to use this software if you are starting from scratch.

• Likelihood to recommend6.00/10

Works best if you are utilizing all the job features

Sage has helped us to improve our job costing. The reports can be exported into Excel for further analytics and review.

Pros

Features work well among eachother. Create PO, Apply to invoice, Inventory, Pay bill. Create your job quote, assign job, bill job, view job costing. I have found we are happier with the program the more we utilize it to its full potential.

Cons

Using only certain features is difficult, as the steps in between may be missing to view full reports. It's also pretty ugly and kind of clunky, but it works and does the job. Additionally, it can be difficult to find support online because this is not a popular product.

• Likelihood to recommend5.00/10

Basic accounting program with limited customization options

Cheaper than other larger programs, easy to use and manage.

Pros

The dashboard feature makes using the software and locating specific functions relatively easy. Invoicing, accounts receivables and accounts payables is straightforward. Program is cheaper than other larger accounting programs.

Cons

Inventory management features are very limited, pricing options are limited. Designed really for small, basic use . Limited customization abilities. You now have to upgrade and pay for upgrade every year because it is on cloud. Customer service is horrible, very rarely can solve any problems and wait times are very long.