Shoeboxed Reviews

Shoeboxed

Painless receipt scanning & expense tracking

Shoeboxed

Review Summary

Pros

There is room to make the software/service even better, and I hope the company decides to further invest in the features and capabilities. But even as is, it is a good service.

Neil T.

It's a fantastic way to store recipes and track expenses. The team is responsive and the app is user friendly.

Ronald J.

Shoeboxed helps to make that process easy by just dropping everything in an envelope and a few days later it is scanned in our account which we can then save or import into accounting software.

Corbin P.

Cons

I finally lost it, they have no live chat which they say they do. I sent an online message, I emailed them again and called and left a message threatening them.

Michelle B.

I told them they had to back date to the email July 13 and give all money back, they said no, they charged me 3 months I never used. My credit card refunded me in the end.

Michelle B.

Customer service is HORRIBLE. I have called and emailed.

James S.

The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread

Maybe there are other solutions out there that compete, but I haven't found them. Shoeboxed has been my go to application for a couple years now and I tell everyone about them. It's the simplest concept that I cannot live without. You take pictures of your receipts and it directly imports them into my accounting software. It let's you know in the phone app when it cannot read certain data but otherwise it's pretty dependable. I cannot live without this app.

Pros

I get an email with each submission so I know it went through. I can categorize receipts and even add notes when I submit. The pictures are always saved.

Cons

Sometimes it does the wrong date or wrong amount but it's rare. working with email receipts can sometimes be annoying.

Super easy to use. One little annoyance.

Overall, I was looking for a way to stop keeping receipts in a literal shoebox in my filing cabinet. This fit the bill. Ultimately, I used the mail-in service only once, and the app occasionally. My primary usage was for digital receipts. Because of my minor annoyance with forwarding emails, I do think the app is mostly useful for those with paper receipts, so I would probably only highly recommend it for that purpose.

Pros

The ease of use is probably the highest pro of this software. Simply forward emails to your dedicated shoeboxed email address, and that's it. For me, it became a habit. Pay for something online, and the next time I check my email I simply forward the payment receipt to Shoeboxed. I like having everything in one place (Shoeboxed dashboard), easy to view and search. When you need to, you can export spreadsheets broken down by category when you need to review your expenses or pass it on to the accountant at tax time. I don't have a lot of paper receipts, but when necessary, just snap a photo in the app, categorize it, and done.

Cons

When using the email option, every single receipt is (I believe) reviewed and categorized by a real human being. This means I have to trust that they are categorizing things properly. Unfortunately, I encountered a pretty frequent problem of my receipts being mislabeled. When I logged into my dashboard to review recent submissions, I would commonly encounter receipts labeled as being from MY company...

Snap

Pros

we like this as it keeps all of our invoices in one place and easy to upload.

Cons

Just waiting for the vendors to upload the invoices.

No more paper filing with Shoeboxed

I like it. It saves me a lot of time. It's the best service like this that I know of (and I'm not likely to want to switch at this point anyway).

Pros

I can stuff all my invoices, receipts, statements or anything (except valuable documents) that I would otherwise have to file into an envelope and ship it off. Everything is stored online at the Shoeboxed website (and in Evernote) in case I need it. And they ship back the original receipts, all flattened out and organized, in case I ever need them.

Cons

The envelopes that I get back from Shoeboxed are hard to open (the glue is really strong), and it's sometimes a bit of work to find out which envelope number I have received back so that I can note it on the envelope. This is frustrating because it should be an unnecessary task. Shoeboxed already knows the envelope number, and could have printed it on the outside, or on the inside, but they don't. So I have to search for an invoice. Also, the data is not very clean when it gets into Shoeboxed. There are scanning errors and inconsistencies. Sometimes when I search for an amount, the invoice doesn't show up. It usually works OK, but it's not 100%.

Shoeboxed has helped cut down cost, time, and errors associated with tracking employees' purchases!

Time and cost effectiveness!

Pros

I love that Shoeboxed is so simple, it took me less than 5 minutes to understand the entire process and all the features. Uploading is so easy, and I know that my information will be digitized correctly because every receipt is human verified--so I don't have to spend time double-checking. Shoeboxed also makes finding a specific receipt easy by allowing the user to search by date, vendor, category, payment method--and more! Since using this software, my company has seen a significant decrease in the amount of lost receipts, unapproved employee purchases, and time wasted by administrators compiling monthly credit card reports.

Cons

There are a few functionality/user friendliness issues, albeit very minor. First, we've noticed that the iPhone app is better quality than the Android one. There are more features available (like creating and choosing custom receipt categories), the design looks more modern, and editing is easier. Second, when on the desktop website, selecting multiple receipts over a long stretch of time can be a hassle because it will not allow you to combine selections on different pages. For example, I cannot make a report that contains newer receipts and more than 100 receipts ago, because that would require me to move to page 2, and my previous selections would be lost. Lastly, I feel like my price of a month is a little steep for only having one user and less than 50 receipts a month.

Been using the service for years. Highly recommend!

Easy for tax time

Pros

The service is super easy with prepaid envelopes that you can return anytime you want. I keep one in the house and one in the car so that I can put receipts in immediately and just pop them in the mail every few weeks. You also have a specific email address that you can email receipts too as well for online orders or if you prefer to scan them in yourself. Come tax time everything is categorized and ready to go! And if I ever need a receipt for anything (returns, warranties, etc.) it takes just a few minutes to track down!

Cons

The price is a little high for the service and I wish the turnaround time was slightly faster. I can expect my receipts to be uploaded about 10 days after I send them off (which is probably 4-5 days from when they are received).

Simple to use, but frustrated with the in-smart Auto catagorization of receipts. I spend hours redo

Learning patience with a software company that has the potential to be mind blowing... But instead is just OK right now.

Pros

I like the fact that I can mail receipts in or email them in and it's taken care of for me. They mobile app is also nice for tooling paper receipts in the go. I just wish that every receipt I submit with app wouldn't be stored in my photo gallery. It takes up a ton of room.

Cons

1. Price - /month to do basically what my NeatReceipts scanner does. I was under the impression that a human would be helping to hand enter my receipts to control accuracy. I didn't know that rep was going to be me. 2. I mailed in a year's worth of receipts for 2017 in 3 separate envelopes with instructions to please scan them in with a specific business name (I have 3 separate small businesses in...

Great for keeping track of expenses!

I use this app to add my business contacts by snapping the photos then I was able to add them to my computers and iPhone’s address book with a .csv file. I also keep track of most of my business expenses by uploading my receipts. I integrated my account with my QuickBooks online and I am able to create expense reports via QuickBooks.

Pros

I liked Shoeboxed because it was very simple, you just choose the category of the item you want to add then snap a photo. It does most of the work for you. You can then create expense reports and upload them into a pdf, QuickBooks, Excel, or .csv format. If you want to enter a note when you add the item you can.

Cons

There really wasn’t much that I didn’t like.

Great value & easy to use

Pros

Ease of uploading & categorizing receipts. Cost is low for service. Easy to use via app or login on site.

Cons

I cannot think of anything to mention at this time. I think the functionality is great and very easy to use!

makes keeping track of expenses easy

time saver, nice to be organized.

Pros

I like that i can throw all my receipts in an envelope, send them to Shoeboxed, and have them take care of the rest. Nice to not have tons of receipts taking up valuable space in my office and nice that it's organized and easy to search should I need to do that.

Cons

I wish all plans had the prepaid envelopes. That would be a nice touch that would make using this service so much easier.

Great foundation for receipt and document management, but needs additional development.

Pros

The ease of importing receipts is excellent. Being able to stuff receipts and documents into an envelope weekly or bi-weekly and just watch them magically show up in a file management system is great. The email inbox sync, drag and drop from desktop, and manual email submission are all excellent, easy to use submission formats as well. I think what this app needs to take file submission to the next...

Cons

I only have two real complaints about the product--one is about the function of the product itself and one is about access to customer service. There needs to be more control over file management. Right now all receipts get uploaded to a giant pool of receipts which can be sorted by date, name, drilled down by category/tag, but I really want to be able to put those receipts into folders, particularly...

Amazing customer service by CRM

I'm a freelance illustrator (self-employed/small business) and way behind on taxes (have been delaying b/c of my lack of organization). I have years and years of receipts saved up in shoeboxes/chest of drawers that I have to pile through. I spent a few hours researching the best app to use to do this. After downloading a lot of software, I finally settled on SHOEBOXED. I'm going to slowly pile through...

Pros

Having just downloaded the app on my phone I still had some questions about the functionality of the app and its service (are the receipts searchable...how so? ...how are they organized?). I decided to call...low and behold someone answered. I can't tell you how helpful CRM was on the phone. He spoke clearly and answered my random (and very specific) questions concisely. He helped me find which package...

Cons

The only way to sign in to leave this review was through LinkedIn...a site I haven't used in 8 years (and was attached to old email accounts/password) and frankly...annoyed me with all their updates/emails. BUT, the customer service experience was so good...I'll eat the next 8 years of annoying Linkin update emails...hopefully they don't get hacked again (didn't that happen like 5 years ago).

Love it, has saved my sanity

Makes filing my taxes so much easier. Because someone else is scanning in my reicepts and I can set rules to auto assign the reciept to a catagory I have to only spend about 5-10 minutes a day on reciepts where I used to spend a solid week at the end of the year dealing with reciepts and I would dread it every year. Now come tax time I am usually caught up with all the reciepts and it goes so much faster. Shoeboxed has very accurate data entry and I rarely have to make corrections. I just enter my own "notes" on each reciept, double check it for accuracy and file it - so convenient. I couldn't reccomend it enough.

Pros

Shoeboxed makes my life so much simpler. As a self employed person scanning in my own reciepts was the one thing I dreaded every year. I tried other software and it all had major issues. When I found Shoeboxed it has literally saved my sanity every year come tax time.

Cons

There are few features I wish it had like archiving previous years receipts so that I didn't have to chance the search parameters every time I was working within a current tax year, or having roll over pages becasue sometimes I miss sending reciepts in one month and I paid for that month but didn't use it, but overall, I only have good things to say.

easy to use - one of the apps i use the most

Exactly what it was created for - to organize my business receipts. This app has changed how i operate on field projects. Could not live without it!!

Pros

The flexibility to mail in receipts, scan with iPhone or email in as attachment combined with the auto classification is what puts you guys ahead of the rest. Expense reports are great but could use some additional features - i discuss some below in the Cons section. As it stands now the Expense Report creation is not great.

Cons

would be great to be able to have more filter options for creating expense reports. If you could search by notes that you add when scanning receipts with mobile app it would be a HUGE help. I run multiple projects at a time so using dates to sort receipts for expense reports does not help me out much. I still have to drill in and manually filter out non-relevant receipts. Would be great if you could create expense report templates on a project by project basis that could be configured auto run.

Generally works very well to populate images of my mileage and expenses to a spreadsheet

Pros

Easy to post expenses by taking snapshot of receipt, categorize and save it with image available to download or just print an image of all receipts. It's a snap. Same goes for logging actual mileage -- although sometimes the software chooses the "shortest" route.

Cons

1) Should be able to convert and save all images as a PDF. Could store on my phone...but photos take up WAY TOO MUCH SPACE! 2) If youre not careful those images could end up being shared by social media... 3) Sometimes shortest timewise routes are not ones assumed by software which are miles longer 4) Online functionality of software to pull up reports can be a little slow and clunky 5) Would like to know how to set up a second user with the same firm -- as I don't want to pay an additional fee.

I am Europe based and I was a subscriber for a year. I used it for my small e-commerce business.

Simple management of invoices, receipts, all in one place and accessible from everywhere.

Pros

I like the idea of having all my invoices, payments, receipts, etc, stored in one safe place, accessible from everywhere. Shoeboxed does a good service and their app for Android works well. So on the go, you scan the receipt and that's it. No running around with papers in your pockets after a meeting with suppliers in a restaurant.

Cons

The magic envelope service at that time was not available in Europe. This is why I switched to the free version. Also as a European, I found it a hassle that there is no option available to change the settings to European formats such as for dates (in Europe you write dd/mm/yyyy, whereas in the US it is the other way around) and commas / dots to distinguish between thousands and fractions, etc. I also found that sometimes the Amazon webservices are slow and thus the loading of your files takes time. But recently this has improved. The preview pane is also too small and does not adapt to the screen size. Their UX could be uncluttered and simplified.

Does a lot for small business owners

Saves me a lot of time and helps me stay organized.

Pros

I like the ease of submitting my receipts--from forwarding an email to scanning a receipt it makes things so easy. I also like having easy access to business cards without having to sift through or carry a bunch of them. I use the mileage feature the most and really like it when it's accurate.

Cons

The mileage is not always accurate (my 20 mile ride is sometimes registered as .01 miles) and the app doesn't allow you to correct it (I can correct the equivalent, but my accountant wants actual mileage so it doesn't really help). This happens on average about once a week.

A positive experience! With a few exceptions described below, this is top-notch!

Pros

-Has saved me so much money by upping my deductions tens of thousands of dollars!!! Also, I never used to track mileage. This has made it so easy except when I forget to drop a pin!

Cons

I have called on all of these suggestions: 1. When emailing in a receipt, allow one to add a category and note so you don't have to log on and do it later. 2. Have GPS track all of your trip so you don't have to remember to drop a pin. If you forget, which I am sure people do a lot, you get 0 miles. 3. Sometimes the GPS drops and you lose all data for the trip. 4. Allow one to add a new category on the app from your phone.

Shoeboxed is life changing

Shoeboxed saved me from drowning in paper receipts and has made preparing my taxes sooo much easier and much more efficient and my record keeping is now more accurate.

Pros

shoeboxed is a simple and effective way to organize receipts. Setting up custom categories is a breeze.

Cons

sometimes dates or amounts are wrong, so I have to double check for accuracy. B/c I have a lot of rcpts, this can be time consuming, if I don't keep on top of it, but it's a small price to pay for how organized my rcpts now are. Reporting business expenses on my taxes is so much simpler and much more accurate now.

Super easy to use! Helps me stay organized for tax time.

Pros

The ability to utilize pre-paid envelopes makes the service super easy to use. Just drop in any receipts or business cards that you have and they do the rest! Plus, they go ahead and categorize all of your receipts so that you know exactly where your money goes.

Cons

Sometimes, the categorization is off due to the fact that they have to guess what each receipt is for. For instance, if I have a receipt for a local store they might not know what type of store that is (retail, grocery, office supplies, etc.). Other than that, the service is great!

Very Helpful for a Small Business!

Accounting. I have difficulty keeping track of my documents and receipts and you've covered me for several years.

Pros

I don't have to think about it since it's connected to my Google email account. Almost all of my receipts go through email. Copies of the receipts online are nice to have when needed. The reports have been useful for my accountant at tax time, it saves me a lot of time. The iOS app is very easy to use too for my offline receipts.

Cons

I'd like to get notifications if Shoeboxed thinks an email should have a receipt and doesn't or where problems occur. The Google Mail plugin sometimes misses receipts and the only way I can tell is if the "Shoeboxed" label hasn't been applied to it. I'd rather take care of these ongoing instead of at the end of the month trying to track down old emails. If I were able to get notifications, I could automate the process of forwarding certain emails back to Shoeboxed. I'm on the 'Free' tier (Since 2014) and have gotten a lot out of the service for free. I haven't used the mileage tracker on the iOS app though. To get me to subscribe to the 'Lite' tier, I don't need anything else but what I mentioned above - an error notification to act as a failover.

Easy to use, user friendly website and great customer service

Pros

I enjoy how easy it is to send the receipts off and have them returned. I like how easy it is to search for the receipts you have sent in. Customer service is always very helpful and I appreciate that you have a live chat option I like the new feature of being able to update the types of payments

Cons

I struggle with the restrictions of the receipts that can be sent it. When I email a pdf across and I look for that receipt in the system, the receipt will just be blank and shows nothing. I also sometimes forward email receipts and get an email back saying it's invalid but the receipt has been processed. I would like for the system to work with more databases other than Quickbooks. We would love for it to work with Autotask for instance and it would save a huge step and much time for us.

Long time customer

We were using another company for tracking receipts. It was quite cumbersome but there wasn't many other options at the time. Then came along Shoeboxed that made everything simpler, providing the options to submit receipts from all different devices.

Pros

The various ways available for filing receipts.

Cons

The mobile app is slow in responding. The server is also slow during peak times, especially around tax season.

Easy tool to use and CSv export

Pros

Email transcibing of Reciepts. Phone image capture, one click app opening. Magic envelopes are simple, durable, and arrive very quickly. The return service is useful to, I simply label the returned envelopes by date & store them.

Cons

Difficult to select report fields from mobile device. Categories often need to be manually corrected. My biggest dislike is dated are often omitted rom the image translations

Very quick and efficient

Pros

You can edit and create your own categories to match your bookkeeping. This will easily sync with your Quickbooks program or other accounting software. Prevents the need for having to keep a "zillion" paper receipts and then needing to process them at the end of the year. Instead, you download a report and have an image of the receipt if needed for an audit

Cons

You have to make sure that your picture images are clear or your data may not be accurate. Is easily edited, but I would eliminate the receipt until you have a chance to spot check the information.