Shoeboxed

Painless receipt scanning & expense tracking

Shoeboxed Reviews

Pros

It's a fantastic way to store recipes and track expenses. The team is responsive and the app is user friendly.

RJ

Ronald J.

Customer service is always very helpful and I appreciate that you have a live chat option. I like the new feature of being able to update the types of payments.

EB

Elizabeth B.

Shoeboxed helps to make that process easy by just dropping everything in an envelope and a few days later it is scanned in our account which we can then save or import into accounting software.

CP

Corbin P.

Cons

This is frustrating because it should be an unnecessary task. Shoeboxed already knows the envelope number, and could have printed it on the outside, or on the inside, but they don't.

RH

Richard H.

Some receipts uploaded have printing issues, blurry so on, that is the major draw back.

NV

Neil V.

It is hard to keep things described and separated properly. I don't think that it has a high enough functionality for me to use it all year long.

JM

Jenna M.

Chris W.

Assistant Director of Housing and Residence Life for Marketing and Communications and Technology

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Love it and couldn't live without it

Transcript

Chris: Hi, my name is Chris. I'm a marketing manager and I give Shoeboxed four out of five stars. For...

Great for Keeping Organized

Transcript

Laurie R.: Hi, I'm Laurie, a nurse practitioner, and I give Shoeboxed a score of five out of five. For...

great software and service for staying organized and saving time

Overall, I find Shoeboxed to be incredibly useful and it allows me to get a handle on my receipts. There is room to make the software/service even better, and I hope the company decides to further invest in the features and capabilities. But even as is, it is a good service.

Pros

Shoeboxed makes it very quick and easy to scan and organize receipts. Using my receipt scanner, I can scan a receipt and have it uploaded to the cloud in seconds, and then Shoeboxed takes it from there using OCR/human inspection to extract fields. Receipts are archived and accessible on the Internet, and can be searched and exported.

Cons

I've been using Shoeboxed for many years, and the software has not changed much in that time. The interface is out of date and kind of clunky. It responds slowly and it is quite limited in it's query capabilities. The company has not added any new features, even though there are many obvious and very useful ones that I wish could be added. The company has also raised prices quite a bit, so it is not nearly as good of a value as it used to be. I'd accept this more gracefully if they were also adding useful features along the way, but that has not happened.

I enjoy using shoeboxed app for the last 2 years. It has made keeping receipts easy and organized.

Pros

I like the ability to look at the receipts I have submitted in the various time frames. Monthy/yearly. I also like the ability to categorize the expenses and print reports for each category. This has made keeping track of expenses easier and the ability to have all the necessary information for my accountant at tax time easier to review and ensure expenses are not missed.

Cons

I don't like not having the ability to review the receipts as category and generate reports from the mobile app.

Best company. Best product. Game changer.

Pros

I LOVE mailing in and getting digital scanned copies of my receipts. I had 2 years worth of backlog on my physical receipts and having it digitally organized before the ink faded was huge.

Cons

I wish making expense reports was slightly easier for different accounts -- personal, professional, business, etc.

Shoeboxes is an essential expense in my business.

Pros

I like that Shoeboxed allows me to send them both paper and digital receipts. The categorization is pretty spot on and you can set up rules for common expenses.

Cons

I wish Shoeboxed integrated with more bookkeeping platforms and had more triggers on Zapier. The categorization could use more refinement.

So Helpful

Pros

I like that I can just scan my receipts while I am out running errands and don't have to keep them since I am always losing them.

Cons

I don't like that it only named a few receipts and that I had to purchase the upgraded plan in order to get the software to recognize the names on anything over the minimum.

Easy to use and decreases accounting workload.

Much easier time keeping track of receipts.

Pros

Ease of use. It's really convenient to keep an envelope in a car to collect receipts on the go and to mail in once a week once a new envelope arrives. I really like this feature and it has allowed us to save all our receipts!

Cons

I wish it automatically matched with my QuickBooks banking. Right now we use quckbooks independently of shoeboxed as it will double enter the same transactions and not automatically match them. This is unfortunate!

Fetch Expense Reporting user

Great & useful!

Pros

I love Fetch! We integrated it into our office last year & it has been a great addition! Our employees find it sinple & efficient to submit receipts, etc for reimbursement & I find it very well designed.

Cons

We initially had a bit of difficulty getting everyone in sync with the ststem. Some employees use Apple devices & some use Android devices. Once we took the time to focus on company wide training, it was a breeze.

It's very easy to upload receipts for storage.

Pros

The ability to forward in receipts or take a picture with the app and automatically upload. I love that the app doesn't make you save the picture to your camera roll.

Cons

When searching for a receipt, sometimes it doesn't bring up all the receipts with the applicable keyword.

Love this app

Pros

Easy to keep track of business even when out and about. I have a couple different businesses and this helps me keep all of them seperate.

Cons

Easier to use on desktop then app. For some reason on the app I am not able to seperate e everything, I have to log on a desktop to do it.

One of the best gifts my husband gave to me!

it has been great, nothing but rave reviews from me

Pros

this is so easy to use, and saves so much time. I now only check the account a couple of times a year before filing.

Cons

Nothing, this software does everything i need, and is rapid fast.

Best Financial Documentation Application

Pros

This software was recommended by a friend who has be using it for years. It has really brought a lasting solution to my manual way of doing things and help me to easily organize and manage my financial documents with unlimited storage capacity.

Cons

I find it difficult to use it on my phone. I think it should be improve to be able to use it on any electronic gadget.

Incredible interface. Easy to use.

Pros

Cons

I can't say that I have any complaints about the application. It fits my needs perfectly in every way.

Amazing and quick process

Love being able to utilize the application to review previously scanned documents.

Pros

Pros are the convenience of the phone application, along with the ability to mail receipts. Love being able to upload photos of receipts on the spot, where ever one may be. It is easy to use when traveling, and creates less of a hassle when dealing with receipts once traveling is complete. Also love being able to utilize the Shoeboxed app. to check on previously scanned receipts (everything is located in one place). Highly recommended to all of family and friends, especially those who are just starting out managing their own business.

Cons

Previously, cons were the fees. However, currently, it is more beneficial to stay up to date with accounting by utilizing Shoeboxed.

Super simple and easy to navigate on phone or computer. Easy to run reports.

Pros

Ease of running reports. I like that fact that I can input receipts as soon as I get them and not worry about it later. I also like that I can upload receipts from my camera roll on my phone. Super simple to navigate on my phone on the fly.

Cons

No so much the software, but I wish we had the capability of sending out envelopes to individual users under one company. I live on the west coast but you guys can only ship envelopes to the main user who's on the east coast. We both work for the same company and use the same shoeboxed account.

Very easy to use

Increased efficiency and tax liability

Pros

The platform is simple enough, quick to use, and works seamlessly with my phone. I can take pictures immediately after business purchases and not have to worry about keeping the receipts in a safe place.

Cons

I find that I would prefer doing the receipt or document categorization manually because I find it to be faster than the auto categorization.

Simple Solution for Tracking Expenses

Pros

It's very easy to use and saves me a lot of time and headache. I love that I can scan, take a picture of, email or mail in my receipts and business cards and Shoeboxed takes care of the rest. The reports it generates also makes tax reporting seamless.

Cons

None that I can think of. I've never had any issues with the website or phone app. It's intuitive and very easy to use.

I use this product every day.

Pros

Easy to use and search for receipts. The website offers a lot more than the app which can be a positive. I think it's more of a negative.

Cons

The app is missing functionality found on the website. For example, there is no minus character on the app (returns are often shown as expenses) and you have to go to the website to edit.

good way to store picture

It helps me sleep easy knowing that all my receipts are stored so that I may access and categorize them when I have spare time. A good side activity to TV watching. I wish that it was a bit simpler to enter the information about the purchase/receipt right when I take the picture of the receipt. Sometimes this presents as an option, but rarely.

Pros

I like that I can save a picture of my receipt before I leave the store. The system is simple. The free membership, leaves a lot of work, but is still helpful.

Cons

1. It would be nice if i didn't have to tell it to got to camera (instead of library) every time. 2. Rarely the page to enter the info right when I take the picture appears. Usually it just gives an opportunity to make a note, which isn't helpful. I'd like to open the app, take a pic, and enter the data. All right away.

Great product - needs UX upgrade

overall really good

Pros

fairly straightforward to use. wish we could implement some sort of streamlining for business names. the scanner will pick up variants and it would be nice to select a big group and name them all the same name for consistency

Cons

sometimes not intuitive I still struggle with "add document" for some reason

Excellent. It does exactly what I need.

Ease of use, better and more accurate books, more consistent writeoffs. From the app, it is fast and easy.

Pros

It makes tracking receipts simple. Saves me a ton of headache in managing the financials of my businesses. Managing the paper version of everything is tedious and difficult if you are on the road as much as I am.

Cons

Sometimes the camera auto opens when the appleads, I take a pic, and then the pic does not save. This is the only issue that frustrates me with the app. If this was fixed, my review would be perfect.

Using to track receipts-easy to use, reliable and handy!

Far better accounting and tracking

Pros

Ease of use. Always handy through mobile devices, desktop and scanner to submit directly to site or via email.

Cons

Inability to categorize when submitting. It would be helpful to be able to select a predesignated category when submitting receipt rather than after the fact.

Very easy to use!

Pros

During tax time it is easy to separate the miles from deductibles. I like being able to start my mileage and just take pics of my receipts and it all taken care of.

Cons

Not really much to say about cons. Sometimes while I'm using my mileage it always switch s me to the camera. Kind of annoying but overall not really a big deal.

Limiting

Pros

This software does a really good job of scanning and managing receipts. It also does a really good job of expense tracking.

Cons

Neat concept but pricey and somewhat limiting. It does wonders with receipts and business cards but if you want to track and scan anything else, it won't work.

Seamless and easy! Love to use this at the end of the year for my taxes.

Pros

I really enjoyed the ease of scanning vs manually recording receipts. It keeps me from huge piles of receipts to catch up with. I just scan at the actual restaurant and never need to keep paper copies!

Cons

Occasional obvious errors on the receipt inputs like wrong dates or prices. At tax time, I found quite a few discrepancies between actual receipts and records that threw off my accounting and required me to search for the errors manually. Still easier than not doing it.

My review

I am very satisfied overall with Shoeboxed, I like being able to create my own categories and and enter my own info on them. I really like the ease in sending each category via email to my tax preparer. It's a relatively easy process.

Pros

The ease of use, there are multiple ways in which to enter your receipts.

Cons

Sometimes I've had trouble finding certain areas, like your receipts with Shoeboxed.