TaxCloud Reviews

TaxCloud

Sales Tax at the Speed of Commerce

TaxCloud

Review Summary

Pros

The concept is wonderful, your account is easy to understand, the map and sales tax information is great.

Jennifer M.

Supper easy integration and amazing product compared to other services.

CL G.

TaxCloud seems to have been improved significantly with a better UI.

Andrew M.

Jennifer M.

You'll be charged up to 8% of your revenue for the service in addition to the fees advertised. These details are hidden on a non-secure website at http://dagobah.taxcloud.net.

Peggy F.

Very poor to bad experience is all I can say about this software.

2.9

Supper easy integration and amazing product compared to other services.

Extremely cost efficient scalable sales tax processing and reporting that eliminated all burdensome sales tax matters. Sales tax is now easy. By voluntarily signing up to remit sales taxes in SSUTA states my business is indemnified against audit risks in those states.

Pros

All sales tax functionality is simplified, and now is much more cost effective. The service has been completely re-engineered and is much improved. The new reporting and customer interface are superior to anything else on the market. I love not having to buy an expensive enterprise software solution. TaxCloud works seamlessly across multiple platforms and is designed to scale with my business needs. TaxCloud is a true very powerful cloud based system providing my business with a tremendous service that frees up valuable time and resources.

Cons

No real cons..at first customer service seems a concern. However, this is short lived once the immediate anxiety of employing a new service is overcome. I quickly realized that this is an efficient customer friendly self service platform, and after integrating the service most all customer service issues were unwarranted. Therefore, there was little need for me to actually request customer service. That said, this product is a tremendous value. I could pay more for a competing service with more immediate customer service, however there does not seem to be any advantage in doing so. Once up and running TaxCloud is seamless and needs no additional handholding, and their scalability, reporting and functionality is the best value out there.

Solid plugin with woocommerce

Pros

It was a bit difficult to setup, but once I got it going, it provides me with solid reporting every month.

Cons

It's a straightforward plugin as I use it with wordpress and woocommerce. Honestly, the biggest con is that the setup process wasn't easy. I also wish that I could download past invoices from the website, but currently it's only being emailed to me.

Hi Daniel - Thanks for the review! We just released our new user interface to our website. Hopefully, the set-up process is easier to navigate now.

Slow/Poor Customer Support

Pros

We have liked how easy it is to calculate shipping in our WooCommerce store when their Simple Sales Tax plugin is not having compatibility issues.

Cons

Our organization has been using TaxCloud for tax calculations over the past few years in conjunction with the free Simple Sales Tax plugin for WordPress. The original developer of the plugin did a good job of keeping it up to date with the changes in WordPress and WooCommerce. Then TaxCloud acquired the plugin and now dealing with customer support for the plugin is a nightmare. As others have said,...

What Jeffrey indicates is accurate but has to be put into context. There was an issue with the SST plug-in caused by an poorly communicated update to the Woo platform which created the issue with the SST plug-in. In addition, we released our new UI and did a price change at the same time. This caused record ticket & call volume from our 1000's of clients which as a small company we needed to prioritize....

Simply helps to keep track of sales taxes for internet transactions.

TaxCloud seems to have been improved significantly with a better UI. It is much simpler to use. It saves a lot of time and effort, and is a necessary service to those of us growing online sales in multiple states.

Pros

The free version is very useful. I think many will upgrade to the full version in time. From what I can tell, it is the best value.

Cons

None really. Can't complain at a free service and it was easier to set up that I anticipated.

Stay Away - better options available

overcharged by $1k over the course of 2 months and refuse to talk to me, answer the phone or resolve the issues. They will change your subscription and there is no way to revert. Waited on hold twice for over 15 mins The website portal does not work and often results in just a blank screen

Pros

the tax rates calculate accurately that is the only good thing

Cons

customer service is non-existent and unresponsive

It's challenging to respond to an anonymous review as we have no ability to investigate the claims. If the reviewer has unresolved issues I urge them to contact us. Our support team is available M - F 9AM to 6PM ET.

Horrible Support

Pros

Easy to setup and use. Address lookup works most of the time.

Cons

We are being charged for duplicate transactions and cannot find a reason. The downloaded transaction history shows all transactions occurred at 4:00 AM so that was no help at all. A support ticket was created 4 months ago and still no answer. As a test, I created a test website, made one test transaction and immediately took the site down. There were no duplicate transactions from the test website that day however; the next day there was.

Our redundant API call policy is clearly outlined here: https://taxcloud.com/topics/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions/#Troubleshooting:tta360013700311 Redundant API calls are a problem as they hinder the performance of our platform unnecessarily and add to our technology infrastructure costs. We charge for redundant calls to change behavior, not make money. A decent developer should be able to look at your implementation and quickly fix the issue. Your charges for redundant API calls are in the single digit $'s per month. The reason you are not hearing back from support is that we can't fix this problem, but you can...and it is taking time away from more serious client issues.

NO CUSTOMER SERVICE

I have repeatedly been trying to get TaxCloud to call me and to remote in to fix the bug in the software. We keep setting up phone calls but TaxCloud never calls in! They are NOT leaving me a phone number to call them.

Pros

I like that TaxCloud handles my website's needs for different tax rates for NC customers.

Cons

There is a bug where MORE tax is being collected than it should!!!!

Please send me an email priley@taxcloud.com and I will have someone reach out to you. It's unlikely we are collecting too much tax as we regularly get audited by state governments but we will certainly look into it for you. UPDATE 6/5/2019 - Upon investigation, this merchant is sending us shipping charges (even though there is no shipping being charged to their clients) that is creating a sales tax...

Cant integrate with Ebay , or cant find out how to.

Overall, it would be a great solution, except the time-consuming registrations and expense required to get tax number for each state (those that are not in the Free list) , plus lack of eBay integration, We're seriously considering simply exiting the e-commerce business entirely. (Thank you SO much SCOTUS for that stupid ruling!)

Pros

Seems simple to set up, I did find how to integrate with Amazon, Bonanza, and I was all excited to start using it... But then could not find any way to integrate with eBay platform despite finding the ebay connection logo... So it stopped right there - we never went live.

Cons

Can't find any way to integrate with Ebay which is our largest (by far) sales platform. Would have been a perfect solution for us, but for that little problem. Also, it appears we'd have to sign up for sales tax license for each state we need to collect for (those that aren't in their automagic 24 states list) which would be tedious, time-consuming and was why we were looking at options (We looked at TaxJar, but $100-ish per state would cost more than it's worth for many states where we may end up with an economic nexus this year - in some cases we'd only be collecting and remitting a few dollars a month)

Hi Brian - Thanks for the review. You are correct, we currently don't have a plug-in for eBay. However, you can still upload eBay transactions into TaxCloud via a .csv file in a spreadsheet. Reach to me at priley@taxcloud.com and I'll forward you the transaction upload template. I'll go into the system and try to find your email as well.

It had everything to be a great tool, but not!

It had everything to be a great tool for taxCloud compliance however customer service is almost non-existent and with the amount of bugs that it has it would help to get a hold of someone faster. It takes weeks to get someone on the phone. Taxes were filed late, late fees letters arrived, etc. Maybe they should have waited to launch this after this was at least at a good use level and just a few bugs. I feel like I'm paying to test their system.

Pros

Easy to integrate. Streamline states is a big advantage.

Cons

NO CUSTOMER SERVICE and MANY BUGS to fix.

We'd be happy to engage on the issues made here but the name and company name of the reviewer is withheld at their request. Without such basic information, we have no way to investigate this review to take corrective measures or reply in any fact based fashion - or even confirm that the person represents a TaxCloud client. If the reviewer sees this, please feel free to reach to me at priley@taxcloud.com to connect on your concerns. Thank you.

Automatic filing and period!

Very poor to bad experience is all I can say about this software.

Pros

The software is capable of automagically calculating sales tax and even assists in filing them directly.

Cons

But the amount of flexibility the software offers in terms of variable rate taxes is very minimal. Also there is no easy way to include county and local taxes.

Not sure what you are speaking of. We calculate sales tax at every jurisdictional level for every address in the US. This would include state. county, city and parish in LA.

Calcuates tax great - pray you dont need tech support

I love the ease of which it works when it works. But when you do need help it is virtually impossible to receive it timely.

Pros

The ease of setting up an account and nexus.

Cons

The customer service is horrible. They have been saying since last summer that they are aware of the issue and are working to make it better but we still see that same lack of support. We have tried calling and contacting online but receive no response. The receptionist will not put you in touch with an actual human or escalate the message.

I connected with the reviewer on this feedback. It appears there was some communication issues between our receptionist and support team that delayed our initial response back to the reviewer. For this we apologize. After two requests, I have not been informed of the issue that has been out there since last summer. We have no record in our service ticketing system that an incident was opened last summer for this client.

Sales department was enthusiastic. Software integrated well. Problems caused mayhem with no fix.

The software took a time burden from my shoulders.

Pros

Mostly the software runs seamlessly once it is set up correctly. Helps avoid expensive business costs.

Cons

When there are issues with accounts that need attention the customer support is not there. Trying to get things back on track is not being addressed for their end. While TaxCloud claims to be easy it becomes difficult and frustrating to make corrections. I will consider a different Tax integration system.

Thanks for the review. Glad to see the positive ratings on overall quality, ease of use and Features/functionality. We apologize that our customer support has let you down. We do our best with limited resources trying to maintain our FREE service offer for small businesses. We do our best to respond to all inquiries within 24 hours and have plans to invest in additional support resources in the near future.

Deceptive advertising | Not an option for small business

I cannot trust the company bc of it's deceptive advertising. The hidden fees are orders of magnitude higher than those they advertise and certainly a showstopper for any small business like mine. Using TaxCloud would surely put us out of business in a hurry.

Pros

Loved the advertising message: "helps online merchants easily manage all aspects of state and local sales tax, from calculation to collection to filing. Let us do the taxes so you can run your business." Unfortunately it's very deceptive for small businesses.

Cons

We wasted an enormous amount of time trying to implement this software at my small business. It's not until you get well into the implementation process that you discover hidden details like 1) you have to collect tax for all SSTP (Streamlined Sales Tax Project) even if you don't come anywhere near their thresholds and 2) you'll be charged up to 8% of your revenue for the service in addition to the fees advertised. These details are hidden on a non-secure website at http://dagobah.taxcloud.net

Thanks for the review Peggy. The 1000's of merchants that rely on us for their sales tax compliance disagree with you. Our FREE service is based on our partnership with the SSTP member states - are you looking for an apology for us offering a FREE service? Please talk to our competitors and you can pay all you want. We have no idea what you are talking about on the 8% of revenue claim. Our pricing...

Tax Cloud Helps you keep track of internet taxes

Helps me to keep track of my internet sales tax w/out all the hassle of figuring it out on my own.

Pros

Do you have a business that you need to collect internet taxes on? Well then I would highly suggest you use Tax Cloud to make sure you are collecting the right amount. Each state is different, and with Tax Cloud, you can be sure you are collecting the right amount. It gives you monthly reports with the breakdowns of everything. It even has automated compliance for 24 states! I have been using this for the past 6 months, and not sure what I did without it. Great software to help you keep track of your internet taxes.

Cons

NO ONE WILL RETURN CALLS or emails in over a week!!!

Lately - horrible, horrible, horrible.

Pros

Onboarding Tax Cloud was not difficult and it worked. Then we updated some software pieces and were told erroneously (not by TaxCloud) that TaxCloud wouldn't work with those pieces. I rushed to call and email TaxCloud to NOT cut off our service but it was cut off anyway. Now I cannot get anyone to restart the service.

Cons

Only ONE person can restart our TaxCloud, I am told....and that person's mailbox is full and they won't return calls and messages from their receptionist. Their receptionists repeatedly tell me there is no one else in their organization that can take my call or give help with restarting my TaxCloud. Emails are not returned. I have asked to escalate, talk with a manager or ANYONE and have expressed I am going out of the country for 2 weeks - and get NO HELP from anyone.

Hi Debbie - Sorry for your experience. Our receptionist did not communicate appropriately back to our client support team. We have made sure this will not happen in the future. I believed that you spoke to our Customer Success Manager Mark recently and he is addressing your issue. If you are still having problems, please reach to me directly at priley@taxcloud.com. Again, sorry for the delayed response.

Inexpensive and works well. Straightforward implementation. Looking forward to new marketplace apps

Pros

It's potentially free, and easy to implement with many e-commerce platforms and marketplaces. They're about to launch a new UI, along with new marketplace mobile apps, using Polymer Web Components. That should allow me to have all my sales channels centralized in one place, which will be great.

Cons

I have to file in all 24 streamlined states in I want to use TaxCloud for free, though I admit that that point might become irrelevant in 2018 with all the regulatory changes.

Very decent service

Pros

Very good value, nice customer rep's service

Cons

They charge you for some problem that sometimes happens with your shopping cart if it sends too many signals - called duplicates.

Hi Carol - Thanks for the review. We do charge for Duplicate API calls. These are redundant sales tax lookups on the same items in the shopping cart. These unnecessarily use platform resources and can easily be corrected by your software developer. We charge for them to change behavior (fix your implementation), not to make money.

Terrible customer service

Pros

I've been using this software for over a year and It works most of the time, however didn't calculate the tax properly.

Cons

I talked to customer service at least five times and promised to call me back, but never actually called me back.

We appreciate the feedback Rita and apologize for the service response issues you've encountered. We have been dealing with much higher service ticket volume in recent months due to several factors including our UI upgrade, pricing change and mostly the Wayfair SCOTUS decision. We have increased the size of our support team recently and will be adding more people and improved processes shortly. We appreciate your business and are focused on doing better.

Very poor customer service - takes days to respond to technical issues

It took care of our sales tax computations and saved time and at one time worked well.

Pros

Easy to install. The top line reporting is clear and concise for completing quarterly sales tax returns.

Cons

Recently increased pricing model so our few $/per month increased to more $ per month. For this you get a slower dashboard and unresponsive customer service. It used to be so much better.

Thanks for taking the time to review our service and we apologize for the service issues you encountered. Regarding the customer service issues, we are taking action by hiring additional staff which will help us be more responsive than we have been recently. Based on the limited nexus footprint of your business and the recent Wayfair ruling by the SCOTUS, you should move to our Automated Compliance service - which would be FREE to you.

Great Product at a Great Price

Highly recommend.

Pros

Compared to most every other tax software out there, TaxCloud is by far the best value. It's full featured and low cost (or free if you're a small business with limited sites and sales).

Cons

Even though the interface is easy to use, like anything new it took a bit to get comfortable using it. But after that it's second nature and does just what it needs to do.

Terrible Customer Service

None

Pros

It has a free and paid option. This seemed great since similar services charged a much higher monthly or yearly fee.

Cons

Zero customer support and their website doesn't work. Called several times and submitted a ticket, which we followed up with several times and it still took 10 business days to receive a response. Unacceptable when you need to get your online store up and running and it will only calculate a few of the states.

As we have stated in prior reviews on customer service, we are the FREE option and as sxuch don't have unlimited resources. We had a UI update and a price change simultaneously which caused our response times to trouble tickets to outpace our ability to respond as quickly as we'd like over the past 6 weeks. For this we apologize, and we're working to improve here. The comment that we only calculate sales tax in a few states is patently false. We calculate in all 50 states at every address in the US. As a Streamlined Certified Service Provider we are audited regularly and if this claim were the case we'd be de-certified. Lastly, I'd add that this company name is not listed as having an account with TaxCloud...so take it for what it's worth.

I would give them minus stars on customer service. Their email doesn't work and no one return calls

Pros

They provide free service & filings for member states if you register with the SST as a model 1 filer. You also limit your choices if you choose to back away from them.

Cons

1. Can't communicate with them. Changed pricing structure, yet they over charged and there is no one to communicate to and email bounces back. 2. They don't provide any assistance on setting up Tax Categories. The definitions are theirs, yet they provide no support. Avoid using them unless you have a strong IT team and will take risks

We apologize for the difficulty in getting to our service desk recently. The release of our new UI and a new pricing change has created a large volume of calls. As we are the service provider that can offer a FREE service, we don't have a large number of resources available to deal with surging call volumes. Rest assured, we will respond and deal with any issues you are experiencing.

Horrible service - Hidden Fees

It should make dealing with taxes easy, but the setup and end user experience is horrible. Not sure how you can have a company function with this type of customer service. Weeks go by with no responses to calls or emails.

Pros

It should make sales taxes simple. It doesn't....

Cons

The service to get things started is horrible. They charge for things not spelled out at beginning and won't resolve questions through email or by calling in.

Ryan - Our apologies for your poor customer service experience. We do our best to be responsive to our over 4000 clients, but come up short from time to time. We are working tirelessly to improve. Regarding your assertion that there are hidden fees, we respectfully disagree. In reviewing your invoices, the fee you seem to be referring to is for Redundant API calls. These happen when we receive additional...

Such A Disappointment

Awful. I don't like to write negative reviews. I always thing that they will probably do better next time. I'll find out, I'm sure, because I cannot close my account. I was so excited about the service.I filled everything out, I added my bookkeeper, I read a bunch of great information, learned about a few of the states and their the tax laws. When I realized that I couldn't take out my information,...

Pros

Cons

Beware of the free trial: I was charged twice. If your account is unfinished (not published) you will still be charged. If you enter your information in, you are unable to delete it. You may replace it with something else, another address or credit card, but you are unable to take it out completely. Customer service takes a bit of time getting back to you with zero follow up. It's unfortunate, this is a fabulous idea and such a disappointment.

Hi Jennifer - Our apologies for the issue you experienced. Based on the way your account was configured, you erroneously got charged when you should not have. We will make sure your account is disabled and provide you a credit for the charges made against your payment instrument on file. Again, our apologies for the issue.

Absurd Customer Service

I would not recommend.

Pros

It sounded like it would integrate seamlessly, but I honestly didn't have time to try it out fully.

Cons

Before I was even able to access the full functionality I received an invoice for a time period before I even had signed up for taxcloud. They admitted it was erroneous and corrected it. However, I asked them to go ahead and delete the account as I didn't want to deal with software that was malfunctioning before I started. A month later, I received another invoice and they immediately withdrew the...