TaxCloud Logo

TaxCloud

Cloud-based tax management and compliance tracking platform

TaxCloud Reviews

3.4

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend6.94/10

Reviews by rating

I was so excited about the service.I filled everything out, I added my bookkeeper, I read a bunch of great information, learned about a few of the states and their the tax laws.
The best is it is up to date in all city and local taxes that can change in an instance. We saved some money from a local tax that had expired.
Before their pricing model changed, it was a perfect solution for small companies who needed just the basics of sales tax support. It was fairly easy to integrate, and reported accurately.
If your account is unfinished (not published) you will still be charged. If you enter your information in, you are unable to delete it.
Sometimes with the integration with our ERP we have noticed conflicting sales taxes.

JB

Justin B.

Music, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Inexpensive Sales Tax Compliance, Great for Developers

Very positive experience, it's easy to talk to the same people any time you have an issue, and not be bounced around through different employees.

Pros

As the sole developer in a small ecommerce shop, I was in charge of selecting a company to handle our sales tax compliance. I like TaxCloud because they are inexpensive and also because their API is not needlessly complex. Everything is straight forward and we haven't had any problems in the two years we've been using them.

Cons

Nothing in particular, and I don't have any major complaints.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! So glad to hear your experience with TaxCloud has been positive all around.

BR

Brynn R.

Retail, 11-50 employees

Calcuates tax great - pray you dont need tech support

I love the ease of which it works when it works. But when you do need help it is virtually impossible to receive it timely.

Pros

The ease of setting up an account and nexus.

Cons

The customer service is horrible. They have been saying since last summer that they are aware of the issue and are working to make it better but we still see that same lack of support. We have tried calling and contacting online but receive no response. The receptionist will not put you in touch with an actual human or escalate the message.

I connected with the reviewer on this feedback. It appears there was some communication issues between our receptionist and support team that delayed our initial response back to the reviewer. For this we apologize. After two requests, I have not been informed of the issue that has been out there since last summer. We have no record in our service ticketing system that an incident was opened last summer for this client.

Apparel & Fashion, self-employed

stay away from this company

Pros

nothing positive to say. they are the biggest mistake I've ever made for my small business startup.

Cons

they've had technical issues from their end, and despite admitting to it, its been over 1 year and i am still chasing after my refund. They charged over $300 within my first two months into launching my own business as a "late payment fee" eventhough there is nothing wrong with the credit card I've had on file...which suddenly they started charging $10 to this year without me signing off and agreeing...

We can't speak to the facts behind this review as no business name or name of the reviewer was provided. I'd urge the reviewer to call our customer support and ask to speak with Mark to resolve any open issues. However, regarding the charges the person is referencing all I can say is that our pricing is transparently described at https://taxcloud.com/pricing. You will not find such transparency with our competitors. Regarding the "free" service offering mentioned, it ended on 12/21/20. There were multiple communications made to our clients prior to the change being made. The person is correct that there is now a minimum $10/month fee to keep an account open. Don't want to pay it, an account can easily be cancelled.

MW

Mario W.

Apparel & Fashion, 1-10 employees

Sales department was enthusiastic. Software integrated well. Problems caused mayhem with no fix.

The software took a time burden from my shoulders.

Pros

Mostly the software runs seamlessly once it is set up correctly. Helps avoid expensive business costs.

Cons

When there are issues with accounts that need attention the customer support is not there. Trying to get things back on track is not being addressed for their end. While TaxCloud claims to be easy it becomes difficult and frustrating to make corrections. I will consider a different Tax integration system.

Thanks for the review. Glad to see the positive ratings on overall quality, ease of use and Features/functionality. We apologize that our customer support has let you down. We do our best with limited resources trying to maintain our FREE service offer for small businesses. We do our best to respond to all inquiries within 24 hours and have plans to invest in additional support resources in the near future.

DT

David T.

Retail, 11-50 employees

peachtrader

na

Pros

the customer support and responsiveness.

Cons

i dont have any major complaints about taxcloud

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! Your feedback is appreciated.

Jeffrey K.

Slow/Poor Customer Support

Pros

We have liked how easy it is to calculate shipping in our WooCommerce store when their Simple Sales Tax plugin is not having compatibility issues.

Cons

Our organization has been using TaxCloud for tax calculations over the past few years in conjunction with the free Simple Sales Tax plugin for WordPress. The original developer of the plugin did a good job of keeping it up to date with the changes in WordPress and WooCommerce. Then TaxCloud acquired the plugin and now dealing with customer support for the plugin is a nightmare. As others have said,...

What Jeffrey indicates is accurate but has to be put into context. There was an issue with the SST plug-in caused by an poorly communicated update to the Woo platform which created the issue with the SST plug-in. In addition, we released our new UI and did a price change at the same time. This caused record ticket & call volume from our 1000's of clients which as a small company we needed to prioritize....

EH

Emma H.

Arts and Crafts, 11-50 employees

Tax Cloud

Pros

It is easy to enter in an address and retrieve the tax rate for that destination, on the tax rate page. This helps us when entering in a manual order and we need the correct tax rate. The overall look and layout of Tax Cloud is more pleasing to the eye than our previous system.

Cons

It is hard to navigate and find transactions that have been uploaded. Additionally, it is not listed in full page that you can search under all transactions. You must click the month and filter before you search for the transaction. When uploading a transaction, it asks for the same information multiple times. This is the same for when you are uploading a tax exempt document. It is time consuming to enter in the same information over and over again. Lastly, when entering in a transaction it will have you fill out the information page by page. It would be easier if all information requested was listed in one web page without having to hit "next". From time to time, a mistake will be entered and you have to back track a lot to fix it. If it were on one page I could scroll up.

Thanks for taking the time to leave TaxCloud a review! The detailed feedback is helpful and has been forwarded to our product team. With our recent investment, we're working hard behind the scenes to improve our product and make it easier to use.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

NO CUSTOMER SERVICE

I have repeatedly been trying to get TaxCloud to call me and to remote in to fix the bug in the software. We keep setting up phone calls but TaxCloud never calls in! They are NOT leaving me a phone number to call them.

Pros

I like that TaxCloud handles my website's needs for different tax rates for NC customers.

Cons

There is a bug where MORE tax is being collected than it should!!!!

Please send me an email priley@taxcloud.com and I will have someone reach out to you. It's unlikely we are collecting too much tax as we regularly get audited by state governments but we will certainly look into it for you. UPDATE 6/5/2019 - Upon investigation, this merchant is sending us shipping charges (even though there is no shipping being charged to their clients) that is creating a sales tax...

BV

Bill V.

TaxCloud Review

So far so good, they have been responsive to my support questions and have made handling sales tax easy for my ecommerce store.

Pros

Taxcloud was easy for me to implement to quickly get tax rates and filing is free for member states so that is a plus.

Cons

It would be nice to have a little more detail in the integration documentation in certain areas. Also, an easy way to view invoices would also be a good addition. It can be a little confusing to find exactly what you are being billed for.

Thank you so much for your kind words and feedback, Bill! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us.

Scott O.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51-200 employees

Great Tax service group

I have been using tax cloud and still am for over 4 years now they have great Service great prices and good work

Pros

Very easy to use 100% accurate inexpensive is an expensive cost for my company

Cons

Didn't merge with any other software for inventory management

Your feedback is much appreciated! We love to hear that you've enjoyed TaxCloud for four years now.

BW

Brent W.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Used other for 1-2 years

Shady and Unsupportive Operation - Avoid

While the actual software works fine, I absolutely cannot recommend a company that treats their customers like this. I feel like we got the bait and switch treatment and their staff was not entirely forthcoming about the pricing changes, and instead of treating my company like a valued customer they coldly shut us down for the sake of two months worth of charges with a single sentence: "We can not issue refunds for services rendered." When our business picks up again after COVID eases up, we'll be using a different service, even if it costs more. Support and customer service really matters, and TaxCloud severely lacks it. This entire experience shows me that they care more about their monthly charges than keeping satisfied customers.

Pros

Cons

I have no cons about the software itself, just the company. Their pricing model changed in January 2021 from a free model under one of their plans to a paid model. They notified clients in December that would be happening. However, I called and spoke with one of their support agents (when you actually COULD call someone) and asked if my plan would also be changing to a charged model. He told me...

Hi Brent - Thanks for the review. A few comments on your post. First, we apologize if your service experience was poor. Regarding pricing, yes, we did make a change in January 2021 the basis of which were changes that no longer allowed us to offer fully free services in our member states, they are now subsidized but not free. So yes, your invoice went from $0/month to $33/month. Still seems like a pretty fair deal to get rates and have us file for you in 25 states. Regarding your termination, our billing runs one month in arrears, so if you cancel in March, activity from March will be billed to you in April. I hope you would agree that we shouldn't eat the costs for your legitimate account activity if you cancel. Best of luck with your business.

CG

CL G.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Supper easy integration and amazing product compared to other services.

Extremely cost efficient scalable sales tax processing and reporting that eliminated all burdensome sales tax matters. Sales tax is now easy. By voluntarily signing up to remit sales taxes in SSUTA states my business is indemnified against audit risks in those states.

Pros

All sales tax functionality is simplified, and now is much more cost effective. The service has been completely re-engineered and is much improved. The new reporting and customer interface are superior to anything else on the market. I love not having to buy an expensive enterprise software solution. TaxCloud works seamlessly across multiple platforms and is designed to scale with my business needs. TaxCloud is a true very powerful cloud based system providing my business with a tremendous service that frees up valuable time and resources.

Cons

No real cons..at first customer service seems a concern. However, this is short lived once the immediate anxiety of employing a new service is overcome. I quickly realized that this is an efficient customer friendly self service platform, and after integrating the service most all customer service issues were unwarranted. Therefore, there was little need for me to actually request customer service. That said, this product is a tremendous value. I could pay more for a competing service with more immediate customer service, however there does not seem to be any advantage in doing so. Once up and running TaxCloud is seamless and needs no additional handholding, and their scalability, reporting and functionality is the best value out there.

LM

Larry M.

Consumer Goods, 51-200 employees

Horrible Support

Pros

Easy to setup and use. Address lookup works most of the time.

Cons

We are being charged for duplicate transactions and cannot find a reason. The downloaded transaction history shows all transactions occurred at 4:00 AM so that was no help at all. A support ticket was created 4 months ago and still no answer. As a test, I created a test website, made one test transaction and immediately took the site down. There were no duplicate transactions from the test website that day however; the next day there was.

Our redundant API call policy is clearly outlined here: https://taxcloud.com/topics/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions/#Troubleshooting:tta360013700311 Redundant API calls are a problem as they hinder the performance of our platform unnecessarily and add to our technology infrastructure costs. We charge for redundant calls to change behavior, not make money. A decent developer should be able to look at your implementation and quickly fix the issue. Your charges for redundant API calls are in the single digit $'s per month. The reason you are not hearing back from support is that we can't fix this problem, but you can...and it is taking time away from more serious client issues.

Peggy F.

Deceptive advertising | Not an option for small business

I cannot trust the company bc of it's deceptive advertising. The hidden fees are orders of magnitude higher than those they advertise and certainly a showstopper for any small business like mine. Using TaxCloud would surely put us out of business in a hurry.

Pros

Loved the advertising message: "helps online merchants easily manage all aspects of state and local sales tax, from calculation to collection to filing. Let us do the taxes so you can run your business." Unfortunately it's very deceptive for small businesses.

Cons

We wasted an enormous amount of time trying to implement this software at my small business. It's not until you get well into the implementation process that you discover hidden details like 1) you have to collect tax for all SSTP (Streamlined Sales Tax Project) even if you don't come anywhere near their thresholds and 2) you'll be charged up to 8% of your revenue for the service in addition to the fees advertised. These details are hidden on a non-secure website at http://dagobah.taxcloud.net

Thanks for the review Peggy. The 1000's of merchants that rely on us for their sales tax compliance disagree with you. Our FREE service is based on our partnership with the SSTP member states - are you looking for an apology for us offering a FREE service? Please talk to our competitors and you can pay all you want. We have no idea what you are talking about on the 8% of revenue claim. Our pricing...

Debbie T.

Retail, 1-10 employees

NO ONE WILL RETURN CALLS or emails in over a week!!!

Lately - horrible, horrible, horrible.

Pros

Onboarding Tax Cloud was not difficult and it worked. Then we updated some software pieces and were told erroneously (not by TaxCloud) that TaxCloud wouldn't work with those pieces. I rushed to call and email TaxCloud to NOT cut off our service but it was cut off anyway. Now I cannot get anyone to restart the service.

Cons

Only ONE person can restart our TaxCloud, I am told....and that person's mailbox is full and they won't return calls and messages from their receptionist. Their receptionists repeatedly tell me there is no one else in their organization that can take my call or give help with restarting my TaxCloud. Emails are not returned. I have asked to escalate, talk with a manager or ANYONE and have expressed I am going out of the country for 2 weeks - and get NO HELP from anyone.

Hi Debbie - Sorry for your experience. Our receptionist did not communicate appropriately back to our client support team. We have made sure this will not happen in the future. I believed that you spoke to our Customer Success Manager Mark recently and he is addressing your issue. If you are still having problems, please reach to me directly at priley@taxcloud.com. Again, sorry for the delayed response.

DB

Dean B.

Pharmaceuticals, 11-50 employees

Services provided

calculate sales tax in multiple states

Pros

customer service is excellent worked with us to integrate with our software

Cons

More clarity with TIC codes and the products we sell

Thanks for the review, Dean! It's our pleasure working with you!

DP

Daniel P.

Packaging and Containers, 1-10 employees

Taxcloud Review

We are using Taxcloud to have Odoo auto calculate tax based on zip code. overall it has been great

Pros

integration into Odoo CRM was easy. TaxCloud is perfect for those who have very little technical skills or low skills in accounting this software will assist in reports and calculations for you. Overall the service and customer support is amazing. They assisted with everything I needed and pointed me in the right direction.

Cons

I do feel little expensive when it comes to cost per transaction. if you have many calls the price does go down but when your small to medium size business it is little on pricey side. I am technical and I am able to remove taxcloud and use odoo manual tax import and export option. Although integration is easy the support and relying on API is not sustainable. Odoo had error in taxcloud API and taxcloud cant help due to Odoo side.

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear our integration has been helpful to your business!

Retail, 201-500 employees

Stay Away - better options available

overcharged by $1k over the course of 2 months and refuse to talk to me, answer the phone or resolve the issues. They will change your subscription and there is no way to revert. Waited on hold twice for over 15 mins The website portal does not work and often results in just a blank screen

Pros

the tax rates calculate accurately that is the only good thing

Cons

customer service is non-existent and unresponsive

It's challenging to respond to an anonymous review as we have no ability to investigate the claims. If the reviewer has unresolved issues I urge them to contact us. Our support team is available M - F 9AM to 6PM ET.

SL

Shaun L.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Best value and accurate collection and filing.

Love it for sales tax calculation and filing.

Pros

Easily integrated with my store. I don't have to worry about accurate sales tax and on time filing any longer because TaxCloud has me covered.

Cons

I have yet to find a con and doubt I ever will.

It's great to hear TaxCloud has been working well for your business. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review!

JG

Julie G.

Cumbersome to use

Impossible to get any answers from customer support.

Pros

I only use tax cloud because it is required by our website developers.

Cons

Tax Cloud does not always follow the rules that our state has in place regarding capturing tax on shipping charges, etc. If I need to adjust the order total for some reason - the tax does not recalculate correctly. There is absolutely no way to manually override the amount of tax charged.

Thank you for your feedback! With our new growth equity investment we're working hard to improve our product and service.

BI

Bert I.

Sporting Goods, 11-50 employees

Super easy to implement

Tax Cloud has made the collection and paying of sales tax a smooth running process that takes only limited staff time to manage.

Pros

Tax Cloud integrated seemlessly with the multiple sales channels and platforms we use to run our company. Just a couple of clicks and we were all set up.

Cons

Our biggest challenge is when we need to take orders outside of our standard platforms. We have a system now, but it took some digging to figure out.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review!

DB

David B.

Consumer Goods, 1-10 employees

Very poor customer service - takes days to respond to technical issues

It took care of our sales tax computations and saved time and at one time worked well.

Pros

Easy to install. The top line reporting is clear and concise for completing quarterly sales tax returns.

Cons

Recently increased pricing model so our few $/per month increased to more $ per month. For this you get a slower dashboard and unresponsive customer service. It used to be so much better.

Thanks for taking the time to review our service and we apologize for the service issues you encountered. Regarding the customer service issues, we are taking action by hiring additional staff which will help us be more responsive than we have been recently. Based on the limited nexus footprint of your business and the recent Wayfair ruling by the SCOTUS, you should move to our Automated Compliance service - which would be FREE to you.

SW

Stephen W.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Never had any problems

Pros

I've used tax cloud for more years than I can remember and it has served me well. It operates in the background, taking care of taxes for my online sales. I never really have to think about it, which is the best compliment I can give.

Cons

I can't think of anything that has been a problem.

So happy to hear TaxCloud has simplified sales tax for your business — that's our mission after all! We appreciate your feedback and are happy to have served your business for years.

KL

Karen L.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Helpful for NonProfits

Pros

Taxcloud makes staying in compliance easy, we have multiple tax codes for Washington state and we don't have to worry about figuring out how to make it work.

Cons

The reports have to be found in TaxCloud and not my WordPress dashboard.

Thanks the for taking the time to give us a review and share your experience!

JL

John L.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

TaxCloud Frees Up Time So We Can Focus On Our Business

We never have to think about sales taxes - TaxCloud takes care of it for us.

Pros

Integrates with our online store and is extremely easy to set use and use.Customer support is outstanding! You can actually speak with a live person and the staff are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Cons

I can't think of anything we don't like about TaxCloud.

We're so happy to hear TaxCloud has made sales tax compliance easier for your business. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review!