Zoho Expense Reviews

4.59/5 (435 reviews)

Kevin Williams

Zoho Expense is the Solution to Your Problem for staying on top of Your Expenses

Reviewed 2019-04-19

Originally, about 2 years ago, I was using QuickBooks for my business and Zoho for CRM, Meetings and other. I did not realize that Zoho offered an Expense product. I really enjoyed my initial experience with Expense and immediatly migrated my database to Zoho. I was actually taking QuickBooks training sessions (at $85 a pop) with our Austin SCORE branch. Zoho has a very rich knowledgebase of trainging on their entire suite. Zoho has posted dozens of training videos on YouTube of which I have personally viewed around 30 of them I believe. I created a favorites folder and tag the Zoho videos for that reason. I have personally never had to call their support-if there is something I am usure of, the YouTube/Zoho combo solves any questions I may have.

Pros
All of the basic user GUI tools and features work flawlessly. I have never once had one of those SalesFarce moments where it took me 3 weeks to figure out the issue why new phone could not capture receipt images and other similar experiences that my associates have had. Really, understanding the operation and navigation was suprisingly intuitive. I really enjoy the aethetics; and compared to the bowl of spaghetti GUI with QuickBooks, I have never found myself in a situation where I obligated to seek out and pay for additional training because I was completely lost. The only people critical of Zoho products are those working for cometitors and folks who have never used any of the products.

Cons
In the past, many products including Expense could be a little light on features and more challenging in large, multi-platform, multi-facility, multi-user implementations. But honestly, think about SalesFarce and another three-dozen or more competitors in that space and find one that is an "everything for everyone" product - they dont exist. Zoho seems to be commited and persistent and building out the feature-set in the entire product suite.

Anonymous

Perfect for beginners to advanced users

Reviewed 2019-08-19

I really liked it but the features could work better. For example the invoices look mint and the editor is great but editing line options on the invoice was difficult to find. I thought that when doing each invoice it may be an idea to either show your input into it in real time or allow you to edit the template with your input in real time. I would prefer inputting directly into the invoice template than the system back end.

Pros
I like the access to various apps that support each other and fully integrate

Cons
You have to learn a lot of it yourself and it can be time consuming to setup.

Everianny Brito Padrón

Another excellent software of the company Zoho that facilitates operability at work.

Reviewed 2018-07-19

The expenses of our company are in order thanks to Zoho Expense, it even allows us to make a more thorough and adequate planning to our financial reality as a company. Records of payments, invoices, operating expenses, spending relationships and reports, are many of the benefits offered by Zoho Expense.

Pros
In my company it is very important to keep control of expenses, not only of what the company generates, but the administrative expense for each of the processes and documents made by the different departments. Based on this I can list certain positive characteristics of Zoho Expense: -It is incredible how intuitive software can be. When generating an invoice or a payment receipt, you can take a picture with our mobile device and the software automatically schedules it. - Not only schedules the expenses but also allows to make very complete reports of the average expenses according to the average time range that we indicate to the software

Cons
Actually this program has brought many solutions to our work environment, enhancing our administration thanks to a better management of economic resources. Of moments I do not have any type of complaint about this software

Anuj Aggarwal

Life saver, I wish I had started using it earlier !!!

Reviewed 2018-02-19

Pros
Super convenient... I setup my company and employees once and now it is very easy to record expenses and payments. It required minimal training and all employees were able to use it within no time. Invoice auto scanning feature works like a charm for standard bills like utilities etc. and saves lot of time. One extremely helpful feature is auto identification of duplicate invoices which you by mistake upload. It helps in catching silly issues which could have become serious if overlooked. Look and feel and UI/UX is so great that I have asked my development lead to use it as benchmark for our product :) Hope Zoho team wont mind this ...

Cons
Only problem I have faced so far is with the Advance Management. Somehow, I was not able to adjust advance paid to an employee with his expenses. This looks to be a simple feature. Hope team could implement this in future. Secondly, not related to Zoho expense but I wonder why Zoho people does not have full blown salary module into it. It put me into lot of trouble of identifying another vendor for this and now I am forced to use that to main employee salary accounts. If possible, please pass this message to the relevant team. Zoho people is a very important module and it should be tightly integrated with Zoho expense. But some how I found Zoho people recommending other 3rd party software for salary management. Why not integrate that feature in Zoho expense itself and make it more useful for overall accounts management.

Ana Rizo

Zoho Expense is a great tool!!!!

Used monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2019-11-05

We are very satisfied with the product. We have had good feedback from our clients, who use Zoho to submit their expense reports. They meet the deadlines without any problem. It is an ongoing process that facilitates them with easy ways to edit expenses, attach receipts, and send reports.

Pros
Set-up, implementation and training was simple. Zoho support was all the time helping us to go through all the steps to customize the application according to our needs. It is a friendly user application. Integration with QuickBooks Online was not an issue at all and doesn't need extra software to connect.

Cons
There are some banks that don't facilitate the automatic integration. However, this can be done manually. The statements are uploaded into Zoho without any problem.

Switching to Zoho Finance

Reviewed 2019-11-14

Interface and user experience is good and easy to navigate. Instructions and tips are well placed and creating your first report and adding users is not a difficult task. Going to trial to see if we can move to a full roll out.

Pros
I like the many options for submitting an expense and the ease at which you can do this instantly or store expenses for categorization and submission later on. It is intuitive and covers pretty much all the aspects I need for financing a range of employees both office based and remote workers.

Cons
I would like to see the option of being able to create different report templates for different employees who have varying circumstances, e.g company or personal car. You can do this by creating separate company policies for individuals but that is not overly clear.

Stella Akomolafe

Expert Expenses Tracker

Reviewed 2019-10-14

We had a lot of recording issues, tracking payments and expenses of the school including various remittances of students.

Pros
It is very easy to use even for novice and beginners. It categorizes all expenses into headings. It allows for Bank account to be linked and downloaded into the software. All expenses are downloaded and it is user-friendly. The navigation is perfect and easy to use. Chart of Account is well detailed. Account reconciliation makes accounting and bookkeeping accelerated. There is no delay in generating reports and tracking expenses based on budget.

Cons
I have not had any issue using this software and it has served the accounting department so well and it handles all discrepancies.

Rachael Cornelius

It's been fantastic to be with Zoho. It has reduced our workload and errors drastically.

Reviewed 2018-05-15

- We've been able to reduce processing time by 1/3rd as it has helped us create a system/ process for expenses. - We've cut down on 100s of back and forth emails over payments as every staff member knows at which level does the payment lie. If it is not submitted, not approved by the head of the department or is lying for approval with finance. It helps everybody have a clear timeline. - We've cut down on numerous impromptu payment requests coming in from different sources and we have zoho now as a one point source to request payments. It helps reduce the errors and keep our finance team sane!

Pros
We like the transparency and ease to customize. For us as a company, it helps all levels of staff to know exactly where the report is and the timeline around processing. It helps us avoid the exchange of 100s of emails over petty issues.

Cons
I wish we could disable a few features that do not apply to our organisation. Zoho has already customised the software a lot for us, but having a features not in use disabled on everybody's dashboard would reduce some questions/ uncertainty.

Wesley Zielicke CPP

Automated Expense Solution

Reviewed 2019-08-12

So far fairly impressed with the expense system. My goal is to try and automate the expense portion wherever I can. It looked to me like this system will allow me to do some of this. Going forward I hope they continue to work with automation and allow even easier of review/approve/submit features.

Pros
A lot of automation built in that helps with building expense reports. Generation of data built off scanned in receipt. Email integration Extension integration to scan a receipt

Cons
Found a few bug's where the support was very quick at responding and working on resolutions. (Fixed 1 and working on 2nd) Would like the ability to customize expense report and see less "white space".

jessica torres

All in one expense tracker

Reviewed 2019-03-20

Zoho expense is a nice all in one package that allows you to keep photo receipts, track reimbursement, easily record mileage and submit expense reports with the touch of a few buttons. Highly recommend as a solid expense tracker and easy to use platform.

Pros
I like that you can enter expenses one by one or as part of a larger report which you may want to use for one long trip. Zoho makes mileage pretty easy to report and you do not have to manually lookup distance since it allows you to enter to and from locations and calculates the mileage for you, four different ways. You can enter to and from locations, use gps to track your drive, odometer reading, and just manually entering a mileage number. Another huge pro for zoho expense is you can keep photo track of all your receipts. Imagine this, you're traveling for a week and those receipts start to add up. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, rental car, gas, tolls, parking, hotel fees, etc. Losing one of those receipts or forgetting to grab a copy can really ruin your reimbursement, with zoho expense all you have to do is take a quick photo of the receipt so you can reference it later. this is a huge convenient tool so you don't have hundreds of receipts piling up, and can easily keep track of what you've already recorded.

Cons
The receipt auto scan is hit or miss, so you might be better off just manually entering receipt details to track expense entries.

Joe Keim

Well worth your money

Reviewed 2019-03-31

Our organizations have been using ZOHO Expense for several years. Their subscription rates are very competitive - less than most, and every bit as good as the best.

Pros
ZOHO Expense has done an excellent job making their software more efficient and intuitive. It is as simple as taking a snap shot of your receipt, hitting upload and filling in the details. Whether you do that on your mobile device or upload invoices right from your computer, it's so simple anyone can do it. In our case, we have two organizations - ZOHO Expense made it very simple to switch between one and the other. ZOHO Expense is always adding new features to make the process even better. The admin is able to customize the app to fit their organization - the customization are endless. When it comes to submitting it to our accountant, it one or two clicks and done. After tying several expense report apps, I highly recommend ZOHO Expense.

Cons
I seem to have issues where my credit card does not sync between the bank account and ZOHO Expense. I'm not sure if it's the fault of ZOHO Expense or my bank.

Good product

Reviewed 2019-09-16

Pros
functionality & ease of use all apps can be combined for all-in-one access

Cons
To date, I have not found anything I have disliked about zoho… yet

Anonymous

Zoho Expense is a fantastic product to use for when you have busy staff with lots of expenses

Reviewed 2018-05-15

We are able to get our busy sales staff to put their multiple expenses on to a system that is easy to use. Our admin and finance team love the system as it makes invoicing and expensing easy to follow and requires less work on their part, freeing up their time for other important work.

Pros
Its ease of use. It's fantastically easy to use and our sales people are confident in using it which is positive as most new technology is met with resistance by our sales staff. I also love that it scans reciepts for you and enters in the data- this saves so much time. I find the app is easy to use but when I can I always try to do it via the laptop as the web browser version is awesome to use, so smooth.

Cons
The number of Merchants we have is becoming too long and we would like to reduce them or have each user have their own list of merchants, rather than a shared list. This would speed up the process (less to look through) and also reduce the amount merchants each user has on their list. An option to make a merchant a one of purchase not be added the list of merchants would be ideal as well. Sometimes the software on the app is buggy and has problems with assocaiting tax to an expense but this is not often.

Anonymous

Great features and free tier available

Used occasionally for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2019-10-22

Very helpful, have been using it for quite a while now.

Pros
That it's free! At least the entry tier, and that is enough for here. And the print quality of the receipts is better than what we used before (Expensify, I think) It's feature-rich without appearing bloated. Good mix.

Cons
When you apply an advance payment, the report no longer gives its total, but rather the remaining rest of the advance payment, and that's irritating. The header could be just a little more customizable.

AC Davis

Zoho is the Accounting Software for entrepreneurs of today!

Reviewed 2018-10-30

Zoho Customer support is top notch! always there to help

Pros
Zoho is extremely easy to use. You do NOT have to be an accountant or a computer genius to use it. The expenses module is an easy way for you to keep track of your travel expenses as well as your employees. And that is my favorite module to use! Books module is also very easy to use and we can easily see the net profits of the company. The reporting functionality is simple and to the point.

Cons
It still has a few features that could be improved. the opportunities are all there it just needs to be expanded. i.e more filters, more customization

Trey Muller-Thym

A software the produce ROI

Reviewed 2019-10-01

Overall we are very happy with this product especially when you factor in the price point.

Pros
This software offers a lot of features while still being cost friendly

Cons
While they continue to improve their interface it still lags behind industry leaders

Cory Jones

Great value for a small business

Reviewed 2019-09-12

We our very happy with our decision to implement Zoho. The pricing model is great for a small business and the setup is quick and easy.

Pros
The software is feature rich, especially for the price point. Our users find the software easy to use after minimal training which keeps our human resources free for other projects.

Cons
The only "issue" that our users have is the fact that the date format is in standard international and as far as we can determine there is not a way to convert to a US date format. It isn't a problem, just an irritation.

Armando Averhoff

Inexpensive expense management with excellent feature set

Reviewed 2018-10-22

Great application. Easy to use and administer. Right mix of features including mobile apps. Great value for the price.

Pros
Although price is what drew us initially to consider Zoho Expense, its the features and functionality that has kept us as a customer. We originally used Concur and found it to be too cumbersome and far too much for our needs. Zoho Expense fits our needs, and budget, much better.

Cons
The inability to have users able to enter or create expense requests on other behalf. Although this feature is in the pipeline now.

Gordon Ridley

Reviewed 2018-09-04

Zoho Expense has been a useful tool, and has decreased the number of receipts lost. We are now able to keep all receipts digital.

Pros
Very easy to use when on the road. My reps are able to quickly take a picture of the receipt and then go back to it later to fill in the information regarding that transaction. As a company we had an immediate decline in lost receipts which will help us in an audit.

Cons
I would like to software to connect with the credit card company to verify all transactions have been complete. Our accounting team must reconcile the credit card statement with the Zoho reports to make sure all transactions have been documented, this costs us time and money.

Jorge Sanchez

I've recommended it to just about everyone I know

Reviewed 2019-10-03

Pros
How easy it is to use and how accurately it recognizes all fields from pictures of very differently formatted receipts. Captures with poor light, skewed, receipts with wrinkles and hand scribbles, etc. It can handle it all. The Optical Character Recognition is soooo good that I'm convinced there has to be a team of human "last pass" checkers helping the OCR to accurately populate all fields. I don't know how they do it, all I know is that after more than a year of use I think I've had to manually enter or fix fields for only a couple of receipts. I take the receipt picture and done. I also love how easy is to assign a receipt to a given expense report. I can scan all receipts at once and later create the different expense reports (per job or category, etc. ). Later I can quickly go through the receipts and click this one belongs to this report, this other to that one, etc.

Cons
I honestly can not think of any cons.

Adda Cancro

super simple to use and very helpful

Reviewed 2018-08-31

Love it - we are a multi- zoho project using company. the products work well, staff is happy, we are definitely more efficient because of the software

Pros
Simple, easy to use, can add on users easily.

Cons
Our staff is on the road and the adding of receipts using the apps frequently causes duplicates for the corporate card charges that are fetched and added. Staff wants to add the receipts on the road and put in receipt mailbox, but easily to add to folder on desktop that going to receipts inbox. wish that function worked better

Naomi Komuro

Easy, affordable, simpler credit card reconciliation.

Reviewed 2019-04-03

Implementing Zoho Expense has saved our accountant a great deal of time and effort. She used to manually enter staff's credit card expenses into QuickBooks, but now she can import them easily. There are a few functionalities we wish we had (and hope will come at some point in the future!), but customer service is super responsive and helpful whenever we've had questions or issues.

Pros
User-friendly interface and easy-to-use mobile app; direct link to credit card statements ensures we are not missing any transactions. Syncing with QuickBooks makes monthly reconciliation much easier for our accountant - much less manual entry needed. From the admin side, it is great to access reports to view spending trends and habits among staff; helps with budgeting.

Cons
It would be great if the receipt / credit card transaction syncing worked a bit differently - currently we have quite a few staff who get overwhelmed by the end of the month from duplicate expenses. We have included in our training that they should add receipts as soon as the expense in incurred so that Zoho can match things properly, but that is not always feasible. It would make it easier if expenses created from receipts automatically linked to credit card expenses, even if they were added several days after the credit card feeds pull in. Another improvement would be more customization within different profiles. Besides being able to limit which categories are shown, we would love to be able to limit which classes, customers, etc are shown depending on which profile a user is associated with.

Ramona Nakashima

Amazing Application!

Reviewed 2018-11-28

For quite a few years now, we have used Expensify.com to manage our trip expenses and receipts for 8 different cross cultural month long experiences. It worked well, but unfortunately in addition to a extreme increase in their rates, it was also not compatible with our newly purchased department devices that were acquired for the purpose of expense tracking. After finding Zoho, we realized how many features Expensify was actually missing, that we were paying more for. Zoho is highly customizable, works with every device and works better for our purposes than any other program we tried. We are so happy we made the switch and would recommend it to any company looking for a new expense program! Some of our employees have even started using it for personal expense tracking. It is an all-around winner!

Pros
I love the small features, like itemizing receipts and adding and matching expenses from cards. It's extremely easy to use and there are so many features, I don't think there is a thing Zoho doesn't have. I also love that it is compatible with all my devices, even Amazon Kindle.

Cons
It was a bit confusing at first, there was a small learning curve when I first started but I highly recommend watching a few videos and reading the help pages.

Brittany Cisneros

ZOHO CRM user and EXPENSE administrator

Reviewed 2019-03-16

Pros
One of my responsibilities is to oversee the AP function and expense reporting is by far one the most tedious aspects. ZOHO helps alleviate a bit of that headache with their online and mobile app platforms that allow users to upload and submit information electronically. More over, ZOHO has the capability to export their information in far more detailed fashions then other desktop and mobile applications including AMEX and Citi. I also like the approver and reminder functionality the app enables for the management team. For example, we can set a reminder for the user when something is "unexpensed" after a period of time. Then they expense it and the approver is then reminded when something is "unapproved" after a period of time.

Cons
The set up can be difficult. I wish they would offer various basic set up templates you could import or copy and then edit for company policies.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Anonymous

Zoho Expense is easy to use for all employees and especially for people on the go.

Reviewed 2018-03-12

Pros
It has a very simple and easy to use interface. The mobile app is great because you often get receipts on the go that end up in your wallet or purse or just plain missing. The app gives you an opportunity to immediately scan the receipt and add it to an expense report. It also automates the approval process with a manager and submits it to Zoho books.

Cons
It isn't clear from the start how you should use zoho expense and zoho books together. They both basically do the same thing but expense is meant for employees. You could use books alone but it would be more time consuming for the accounting person. What they don't tell you is that you need to set both of them up with the same CoA and that you need to make sure they stay the same because they don't appear to sync. It is also confusing how recurring expenses in books is meant to work with zoho expense and you can't create a recurring expense in Zoho Expense.