Compulink Healthcare Solutions Logo

Suggested alternatives

nextgen-ambulatory-ehr
athenaclinicals
nextgen-enterprise

I liked the ability to create my own layouts and favorite encouters to be more efficient. Also like the feature where I can just duplicate previous notes and diagnosis.
I felt I received great personal attention from helpful trainers. Having an implementation coordinator is helpful to keep me on track during the entire process.
I believe it to be as good as any competitor for a fraction of the cost. It is generally pretty self explanatory and user friendly.
It is even more frustrating when there is no solution to an error and you have to wait for a fix and put up with the errors until the fix comes out.
The SQL search function is difficult to use. Sometimes we have had troubles with the stability of the software - sometimes it crashes and you have to restart it.
The billing program has to be checked and often rebilled for missing claims. The drop down lists are not optometry specific and can be very tedious to find the right listing.

JM

Justin M.

Flexible, Effective EMR!

Pros

Our favorite part about using Compulink is the outstanding level of support from every level of the company. For every question you may have, there are Help resources, and for everything that isn't covered in the thorough documentation, knowledgeable and patient staff are a phone call away to address your issues.

Cons

The only issues coming to mind were around the trouble our practice had with hosting the Compulink server ourselves- since moving to their Cloud Hosted, AWS solution, we have had so few problems(that were addressed in such a timely fashion) that it is hardly worth mentioning!

BB

Brandon B.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Long Time Compulink User

Overall, we have been pleased with Compulink and the number of things it can do for our office from accounting to EHR to inventory. We have used it for over 10 years now and have been able to grow an adapt to changing times with it.

Pros

Compulink is a customizable solution which makes it fit your practice like you need it to. We have some specialty clinics we do with low vision so we were able to develop our own layouts for our low vision exams.

Cons

When you compare Compulink to other software solutions it is more expensive both in initial investment and then also in maintenance fees.

AC

Alvaro C.

I REALLY WANTED IT TO WORK

As an owner, IT person, optician and front-desk user, I regret purchasing this software. I actually do have a background in Computer Science from Rutgers as well as Ophthalmics from RVCC. I catch on quicker than the average bear, but with each update, my hair turns grayer and grayer. I really, truly wanted this to work, but I believe that at some point I will have to get a different EHR system because it just doesn't work for me.

Pros

There isn't a lot that I like about this system. Generally, support is acceptable. When you need help you will get it at some point, although I've seen a decline in this lately. The implementation is their strongest aspect. We had a great trainer help us and make it as easy as the program allows. If the implementation experience was the rule, I feel that Compulink Eyecare Advantage would be more successful than it is. Submitting claims is pretty good.

Cons

It is pretty slow (I use an Intel i7 2.8Ghz with 6 gigs of ram - translation: not a wimpy computer). Compulink, I believe, has some real problems. Text boxes do not match up with database field sizes. An example, when saving information and then recalling it, data will be truncated/lost. Database field sizes are really small, too. The optical portion (which I use quite a bit) gives the impression that...

CF

Caitlin F.

Great customer service with Compulink

It was a lot of work to set up, but that is the case with any EHR. The transition was smooth and they are constantly making updates to the system.

Pros

The customer service of Compulink is outstanding. There is a help icon that you click and submit a question or problems. The Compulink IT staff will call you back and login to your computer if necessary to fix the problem. The online registration is very helpful especially during COVID. Patients can fill out their paperwork before they come into the office and save time and exposure to COVID.

Cons

All systems have their glitches and technical difficulties which can be annoying at times.

SS

Scott S.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Needs to be more intuivite

Overall the user experience could be better. The reason we are using Compulink for our optical department is because our existing practice Management/EHR vendor (NextGen Healthcare) has not developed a robust optical component to the software. In all other aspects NextGen has a far superior PM/EHR package when looking at the user experience.

Pros

So far the integration with billing VSP is critical and most important.

Cons

The lens tables are overly complicated and could be better "out of the box." Any changes to these tables is very time consuming. Pulling reports is not user friendly and sometimes the report function you are looking for is not where you would guess it would be- The help function

MK

Maury K.

Feature rich Optometry practice software

Mostly great. When I have software issues, they respond quickly and effectively. I have been with Compulink for 10+years. Often, the issues I have with the software are caused by my network issues, not the fault of Compulink.

Pros

It is constantly trying to improve. The tech support is very helpful.

Cons

There are still repeatable inputs that I have to use on every patient that will not auto populate.

KM

Kim M.

Medical Practice, 201-500 employees

Great Software for those in the eye care industry

We have had a great experience with Compulink.

Pros

What I like most about this software was we have several different types of users that needed to use this software including Aesthetics, Optical, Contacts and an Optical Lab. We were able to customize this software to meet our needs which no other software we looked at could do.

Cons

I can't say the inventory portion is hard to use or is bad, but it be made to be a bit more user friendly to help save time.

JS

Joseph S.

Compulink Advantage Ophthalmic Software

Software has been very stable and reliable. Has improved over the years. Management has been stable. Price increases have been reasonable and not frequent

Pros

The company was and still is run by the head programmer

Cons

Sometimes the default layouts and information are too general- slanged towards its origins in optometry

LC

Laurie C.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees

Compulink Review

Overall, experience is good.

Pros

The ease of navigation and training of the system.

Cons

We would like to build reports on the fly.

BV

Bryan V.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Long time user of Compulink Eyecare Advantage.

This is where Compulink shines. The whole team does an excellent job of responding to our problems, inquiries and complete disasters in a timely fashion. With three different office locations and 40 workstations all running from our server, keeping up and running is critical as we are completely paperless. Recently we migrated to a new server and opened another location and had to convert 26,000 medical records from another venders software and I am happy to say that Compulink made it all happen as easy and smoothly as I could hope for. If there is any one reason to choose a software vender it has to be their support department.

Pros

I love that the software developers are frequently upgrading and adding features to their software. Most of the software does not require a lot of training to use; I have to train my new Externs every 3 months to use the software and it only takes 2-3 days to get the hang of it. The "tab" system of organizing the chart seems to be the most elegant way of handling the large amount of data we enter for each patient. Editing and adding specific patient info is nicely done with the new hovering and selecting a desired function. Data integration with our instruments works flawlessly and speeds up our exam times.

Cons

There will always be some issues, but nothing major. I don't like the color scheme the developers decided to use, or I should say lack of color. I find data easier to find if in color coded boxes or better yet; let me choose to highlight something in color. It would be better if I could edit the data in the pop-up defaults and be able to re-order them as I see fit in an easier way; I never remember to leave the software to edit tables for use later. Looking up ICD-10 codes should be easier too, I frequently use a web search to find a code.

EM

Erica M.

Mental Health Care, 11-50 employees

Very out dated

I love their customer service. The rest is very complicated and out dated.

Pros

I loved the customer support. We have used the system for about 8 years and the customer support is great! They get back to you quickly and always willing to help.

Cons

It is very complicated and seems outdated. You have to build tables in the calendar and add times. Also the updates usually go very bad. One time all of our calendars went missing and we lost all our appointments.

SW

Sara W.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Customizable EMR

Compulink has been the right choice for me and I am glad that I chose it. They did their best to display everything you need to see on the same page to minimize navigation. They are super responsive and willing to help you, even with out-of-the-box questions.

Pros

I really appreciated the Compulink team and how quickly they respond to questions. They are also very willing to help me customize my provider and patient experiences as desired. I own a sports medicine and eating disorder clinic, so they removed weight as a required variable from many of the presets, as well as removing some of the automated patient education when I found it triggering for my patients. They helped me customize my charting environment so that I can complete documentation faster. I am able to use the same EMR for myself (sports/family medicine), my PT, my chiropractor, and will be able to use it for therapist/dietician as well.

Cons

Adding diagnoses sometimes takes a little more effort than I am used to with Epic, but it also gets easier the more you use the system. Throughout my career, I have used Epic, Cerner, and Meditech, with Epic being my clear favorite. As a small private practice, Epic was cost-prohibitive, but I still like Compulink better than Cerner and much more than Meditech.

JL

Jennifer L.

Medical Practice, 51-200 employees

Compulink review

Overall I am very satisfied with Compulink. I feel like the capabilities meet most of our needs. I would love to see a dry eye layout added in so that all documentation can be done on one tab for our dry eye patients. The records then would be much easier to access as they would all be in one location. We currently started a Dry Eye and Aesthetics in our office and it would be amazing if we had one central location that all documentation could be done in.

Pros

I think that it is very easy to use. I generally can navigate through things fairly easily. I would say that Compulink University, it is very hard to find things that you are looking for. You do a search for something and it seems to never come up with anything remotely related to what you are looking for. I do like the EHR itself though. I think it has plenty of capabilities that we probably aren't even aware of.

Cons

Making sure we always have a contact person that is easy to reach and that can work with our IT to make sure any issues are resolved immediately as generally any issues that arise are getting in the way of patient care. I think the medication field is always an ongoing issue. I haven't heard many complaints as of recent but I do know there were often complaints of it freezing the computer up or slowing it down when trying to merge medications.

JM

Jayne M.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Long Term User Compulink Healthcare Solutions

Compulink is in the business for the long term. They are constantly updating and evolving to meet the ever changing needs and guidelines of our medical practice. As with any system, there will always be features that we would like to be different and features that we do not use to full capacity.

Pros

Software is necessarily complex to manage the compliance and regulatory issues of a medical practice. It has a good revenue cycle feature for submitting claims with a good team behind it.

Cons

Because of the complexity, sometimes it takes alot of clicks to accomplish simple task. In the current version, on some screens, open boxes do not easily move to the side so you can see what is behind them.

VL

Vinh L.

Compulink

Pros

Ease of use from anywhere with Cloud base. Able to run many detail reports. Good inventory program for frames. Pre-populated letters. Web Registration. Patient's portal.

Cons

Difficult to customize scheduler. Have to change both lens options and definitions to add or remove lenses from system. Even after adding lenses from both the lens option and definitions, the lens does not show up or syncs properly. Cannot add part of exam tabs to exam in EMR. Can only put max 3 insurance payment per line in ledger. System setting is not user friendly.

GS

Gwen S.

Makes my day run smooth

Running insurance claims/reminders/statements is a breeze and super fast with the newest upgrade. I can get my job done hours sooner, which opens me up to help the staff or take on additional projects.

Pros

There are so many reports to pick from, it makes my monthly reporting to the doctors very easy. If we have issues, we call/email/or direct message support and we hear from them within an hour.

Cons

Having to pay for a service every month that we may not use is frustrating. I wish they would remove that additional fee every month. Integration was easy, they sent someone to our office to train the staff and then we had a personal trainer to work with if any issues came up.

RH

Raymond H.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Longevity

We implemented electronic medical records many years before it was mandated. I can not imagine going back to paper charts since Compulink in infinitely better. The compulink team has always helped us with any updates or transitions in the software or hardware that we needed to make and they work closely with our IT provider.

Pros

We have been using Compulink Software in our office since 1997. Compulink was been a solid company then and has continued to be one of the best options over the years and that is why they are still around when many others have gone out of business or were taken over by other companies. The software is very customizable which allows the user to adapt it to their way of working rather than having to work the way the software forces you to.

Cons

The software (like most) occasionally has indexing issues that can cause some down time. These can be the result of power outages and backup timing.

EM

Elsa M.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Customizable, all-inclusive software

Compulink is an all-inclusive software that allows us to run all aspects of our business; paperless charts, inventory, financial reports, etc. That being said, the more complex that a system is, the more "glitches" that occur. I understand and accept this. We've been using Compulink since 2012. It would be nice to have a "overview" of what we could be utilizing, doing better (or incorrectly), etc.

Pros

The ability to customize it to suit the needs of our multi-practice/multi-doctor organization.

Cons

The continuous glitches that happen after an update. Makes me reluctant to do the update when it is launched. I also wish that the lens definition table was either updated more frequently or gave us the ability to edit Compulink owned lenses when they are incorrect.

RD

Ryan D.

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

One Of The Best For Eyecare

We have been using Compulink since 2011. We first rolled it out to our 36 clinics; we later migrated our ASC from another leading EHR platform to Compulink and haven't looked back. This software has the ability to replace all others. PM, EHR, optical, billing, etc. there isn't a need to have several different programs throughout the practice. The support is fantastic and there is absolutely service after the sale. They are constantly improving the product and have some exciting things on the horizon.

Pros

Compulink's EHR software provides everything we need to run our practice. From optical retail all the way up to our ASC, Compulink has the ability to be your one stop shop.

Cons

Originally, our installation of Compulink was self-hosted and updates were a little rocky but two years ago we migrated our installation to the "Compulink Cloud" which is hosted in AWS. Hands down one of the best decisions we've made.

DM

D M.

a one trick pony

I've had this system for almost a year, but had it in another office 15 yrs ago. It was terrible then and it hasn't gotten any better. Support can take days to call you back. The ridiculous thing about this software is that it's extremely complex, yet you can still only do one thing at a time. So if you're trying to make an appointment and someone needs to get something dispensed, you have to close...

Pros

None

Cons

It's not able to multitask in any way shape or form. It's stupidly complicated for everything you try to do. Even basic stuff is not user friendly.

ci

christopher i.

Stay far away.

They make it more difficult to manage your practice and be profitable, the opposite of their claims. We've got 25 years in their software, so we are heavily invested. I don't think they will change because the owner doesn't really care about their Optometry clients. That's the feeling we have.

Pros

Patient scheduling was good, but they seem to make it worse with updates. Spectacle POS better than original set-up.

Cons

You have to be very tech savvy to have everything work properly. It is very tedious to document an exam. They lost our inventory on conversion to the cloud and didn't seem to care. A lot of excuses and we had to re-enter our inventory. We've lost thousands of dollars because their was a glitch in their VSP interface and we get the "oh well, we're trying to fix it".

CC

Charles C.

Medical Practice,

Comprehensive and Customizable

Pros

1. The software is comprehensive. You can entire in an impressive amount of organized data regarding the patient's history, examination, and plan of treatment. You can use the same software to schedule all of your appointments, email or snail mail automatic reminders of their appointments, and fulfill meaningful use requirements. Lastly, it has a robust financial side of things. Easily audit your...

Cons

Calling for help is usually routed through calling the main number, leaving a message and waiting for someone to call you back. The cost of the product is probably higher than others on the market but in this arena I think you get what you pay for.

DW

Denise W.

Medical Practice,

Have been using quite awhile

Pros

The usage of this software is quite straight-forward and all in "one unit". Before we got our first EHR in 2009, I investigated several and wanted something that was integrated into one, instead of several separate modules. I actually know of several practices that are now CHANGING their EHR that started with some that I dismissed at the beginning. Everyone from Compulink is friendly and helpful and they also are at ease with the notion that I like to do a lot of the things myself. We have actually changed a lot of the layouts, etc to suit our practice needs and I like that you can do that with this product. If you can't do it yourself, they can do it for you.

Cons

There are occasional crashes when a new update goes through but I can get them on the phone right away. (If you tell them you are down totally, they will immediately call you back.) I really don't think the crashing part is a big problem as I have NEVER seen a program that didn't crash at all. I do wish they had different levels of tech support, that is at different $ amounts. I do not feel that we need as much tech support as some offices and I think that should mean that we pay a smaller monthly fee.

KK

Keren K.

Review of Compulink's Eyecare Advantage

I have recommended Compulink's Eyecare Advantage for years. In the late 90's, when we decided to go to a Window's based program for our practice, I thoroughly investigated all the software programs for optometry. At that time there were five being marketed. Compulink's Eyecare Advantage was heads above the rest in the ease of use, included features, available options, and value for the money. ...

Pros

Ease of sending and posting electronic claims. Most electronic remittances can post automatically, saving staff time. Ease of checking electronically on unpaid claims. User friendliness of software. Integration with Frames Data. Built in help to achieve Meaningful Use.

EP

Erica P.

1-10 employees

Nightmare

It's a nightmare! Do not buy this system!

Pros

The system layout is relatively intuitive to use and has options for customization but the customization is difficult to do and it is not used friendly AT ALL.

Cons

The customer service is useless and billing is a nightmare. The company is run incredibly poorly. They constantly are updating the program and with each update, one thing may be fixed but there are a million new errors that you have to wait for the next update to fix... its a constant cycle of drop downs and other basic features not functioning then being fixed then something else not functioning. Every time I call to get help from the "customer support" the staff is rude and unhelpful and not at all apologetic about their program being a mess.