CounSol.com Reviews

Amy B.

I recommend it to all my colleagues. The benefit is that if you have a question on the weekends, a friend can help you out.

Colleen A.

It has pretty robust features for an EHR software, which I really appreciate. I love the features of being able to write notes to your clients after sessions and my clients seem to like it, as well.

Colette D.

Cons

Sometimes it is confusing when trouble shooting client balances. Not getting alerts when someone requests apt through the client portal.

Heather C.

It is very difficult to make appointments. There is no way to edit an appointment after it has been made either... it has to be canceled.

dee d.

Anisha S.

First EHR System I have used

Transcript

Nathan H.: My name's Nathan. I'm a licensed professional counselor. I give CounSol.com a five out of...

Perfect for Sole Practitioner

Transcript

Zach B.: Hi, I'm Zach, I'm a therapist in private practice. I would give CounSol a five out of five stars....

Small Group Private Practice LIFESAVER

Overall, I am staying with CounSol. It allows me to have a virtually paperless practice and automates things that save me both time and money such as self scheduling and appointment reminders. My client report they like the portal and find it relatively easy to use. Although it is customizable, it again is not the prettiest looking thing, although I haven't had any client complaints about this.

Pros

I love almost everything about CounSol! I used it when I was a solo practitioner and have continued as my company has grown into a group practice. What I like: - Electronic intake forms as well as all other forms - FULLY customizable forms including progress notes - Client self scheduling/ Client portal - Online payments - Calendar sync with phone - Secure messaging- staff and clients - Quick claim submission and ERA reconciliation - Customer service- its amazing really!! - Generally accurate monthly payment reports - Appointment reminders via text, email and phone - I also love that they don't tack on costs for features- it is included in the plan you pick!

Cons

I have been with CounSol long enough that I have been able to see them grow, including them implementing suggestions I have personally made for the EHR. That said there are a few things I still don't like: - the interface itself is not as pretty as some of the other ones out there - there can be a lot of button clicking sometimes (this has improved) - my staff report they do not find it intuitive to...

Highly recommended

My overall experience with Counsol.com has been positive, they have more features than any other management system, there is flexibility to create your own forms, you can upload pdfs for your clients to support them in between sessions, they can use the journal feature and share with the therapist, and it is user friendly, plus they have great support.

Pros

My overall experience with Counsol.com has been positive, they have more features than any other management system I know, and I have tried several of them. There is flexibility to create your own forms, you can upload pdfs for your clients to support them in between sessions, they can use the journal feature and share with the therapist, and it is a user-friendly softwar, plus they have great support....

Cons

The scheduling of appointments can be a little user-friendly, but then I learned the trick. I think having little videos on different features may help the user. The visual interface can be upgraded more modernized. I would not publicize this, but Therapynotes has a beautiful interface and a very easy-to-use scheduling system, but I prefer the flexibility of features provided by Counsol.com. Such an amazing software, but the telemental health feature needed updating. I stopped using it in favor of Doxyme and Zoom.

Lots of positives and can be a much better product with changes

My notes are getting done quicker bc it's easier to get them done, I've realized although it's cheaper and there are some features that are better than my old product, it's not as professional as my old product and doesn't offer as many resources for measures that I would use as a LCSW

Pros

The invoice feature, the ease of calendar, birthday emails,

Cons

The intake measures aren't pulled into the initial intake note. This doesn't create a professional looking intake note like the other system I used. No ability to write a formal short note about a phone session, or missed sessions when you void the invoice you can't document it. Can't send attachments in an email via this site that I don't want to make available to all clients. The billing feature pages are very confusing and can be very overwhelming. The measures offered are limited and personally I don't want to have to input them and/or recreate them and it doesn't allow me to send specific measures to individual clients. It's like a one size fits all with this product.

User Friendly!

CounSol.com is very practical and convenient for everyday use for your counseling practice. It helps with your billing, scheduling, notes, online video HIPPA Compliant Portal Services all at an affordable price!

Pros

I have been using CounSol.com for my private practice for over 4 years now and I have been very happy with their services and features it has to offer. The set up is easy and my account manager [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been very responsive to my needs. Since last year I had to start offering counseling virtually, it was a huge relief that their platform is HIPPA Compliant and it was easy to add that feature on the account and yet kept my monthly operational costs reasonable. I use the scheduler daily to manage my practice with appointment reminders going out regularly, user friendly for most of my clients and good video connectivity. I would highly recommend it for your practice!

Cons

What I like the least about CounSol.com is that sometimes I have clients who have a challenge Logging Into the portal as it is not best supported on other browsers such as Firefox or Safari. Not everyone has Google Chrome browser, so for some clients it is inconvenient to have to switch to Chrome on their device to access the video session on the portal.

Great product for bililng but not so great for clinicians

It has its pluses but the minuses tend to outweigh its good points. I am still on the fence as to whether this was a good move. Only time will tell.

Pros

Its ability to protect client data but allowing us to invoice, send claims, use telehealth, communicate electronically, and chat. Great for getting documents signed and completed. Great for creating new clients as the system is user friendly (outside of very small font).

Cons

It is made for one type of bill... outpatient therapy sessions (90832,90835, 90837). Things like, crisis, client contact, groups, case management, peer support specialists, and prescribers, are no billable due to the documents that are tied to invoices/ claims. It also allows you to bill without regard as to whether the appointment actually happened or not. No need for notes or documents, just make...

online scheduling, HIPAA compliant email, billing

It's been very useful... my clients prefer fullslate, but it wasn't HIPAA compliant. I use it on my phone multiple times a day.

Pros

most online schedulers for therapists make it very hard for clients to see all the available slots and choose one that is best for them. Some of the more expensive and highly regarded ones are the worst. Clients have to toggle back and forth and go through 4-10 pages to see which days have openings and what times. They need to write it all down on a piece of paper (!) to choose the optimal one. ...

Cons

I wish it offered a sign up list for cancellations for my clients. So for clients who want to see me, but don't have an appointment, that they can get notified if there is an opening.

Satisfied Customer

The support team is always very helpful and responds promptly.

Pros

I appreciate that this software allows me to do all the many aspects of my business. As a mental health provider I also offer supervision, consultations, and trainings. This software allows me to consolidate all the aspects of my business into one platform.

Cons

Some of the features could use some updating. For example, when I click on a client and 1 area of the client, I have to go through the whole process again to locate another aspect of the client record (e.g. find the client, then find what I need). I'm sure there could be a more efficient way.

Great EHR system!

I have had a great experience with Counsol! I have used them for over a year while I started my practice in the pandemic. They've made it really easy to start a practice.

Pros

I really like the customized scheduling features in this software. It makes it easy to keep my boundaries in place for scheduling which can be hard to do on my own. There is a spot to put how long of a break you want between sessions, what types of sessions you want to do on which days (for example, you can see new clients only on Mondays), and you can assign default session types to each client. I also really love their quick and thorough customer service!

Cons

I wish there were more ways that Counsol was inclusive to different communities. They have made some efforts but there is room to grow. For example, having a place to write in gender rather than pick from options. I also wish they could improve the video software. It works well but is lacking basic features that Google Meets and Zoom provide.

Best Program For My Business

I use CounSol to manage my entire business. I don't know what I'd do without it. I do all my scheduling, billing, emails, and notes on it. It allows for internal notes for me verses progress notes that clients can view. It allows me to upload pdfs and photos. The customer support is excellent. My support person always gets back to me within 24 hours.

Pros

I like how I can put my own forms for clients to fill out and sign online without them having to print and pdf forms back to me.

Cons

There was a slight learning curve when I first started using the software, but once over that - it is fantastic for keeping all my documents, billing, email organized! I do wish it had the feature to put business expenses on here for ease of submitting for taxes.

Excellent software with lots of features at an affordable price!

This software saves me a lot of administrative time and helps me run an efficient, professional practice. They are always updating and adding new features to meet the ever changing demands of the profession.

Pros

Affordability Many features including online scheduling, billing, notes, invoices, credit card payments, secure messaging for clients. Excellent customer service. Extremely responsive Allows for customization for forms and many other features Easy to learn

Cons

For my computer/internet, the quality and reliability of the video did not work for me.

Best Value and Most Comprehensive

This software makes my solo practice so much easier! I can set reminders for myself, create and check off items on a task list; there are automatic (if desired) session reminders for clients, and client payment information is saved (still meeting HIPPAA compliance as the number is protected, but I don't need to ask for payment from the client every time, I just click to charge the card after the client...

Pros

1) The best feature is definitely the individual tech support! I hear back quickly (same day within a few hours . . . or for faster service I can call but no need for me!) and have been given options to suit my needs, even if not a typical feature at the time. 2) I also love how the CMS-1500 forms are auto-populated if information was previously saved once for clients insurance and session code CPT code was put in (also can be automatic by session type chosen if session presets are made). I can also print directly onto a CMS 1500 form!

Cons

2) I see kids at schools (contract with the local school district) so I wish there were a session option to choose on Counsol that matches each location option listed on the CMS-1500 form .

Mostly Satified

My overall experience has been awesome.

Pros

I love the ease and the features. I like biopsychsocial but wish it was more oriented to an intake—so w more places for the counselor to enter info during intake. I love the fact that I can attach docs to the clients file, but I dont like that there is another area for attachments and my attachments do not show up there. Thats confusing. Same w Notes. I love the fact that I can run some reports, but I cannot run reports for end of year taxes, like monthly or annual income.

Cons

I wish it offered HIPAA compliant phones and website design. I wish it offered referral to counselor legal representation and a forum for legal questions to b answered by state. I dont like the video conference tool—it works sometimes, audio is spotty, very blurry, and doesnt work at all when ur on the road. I wish [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was nicer and more interested in my issues. I call him...

One of the BEST!

Would still be with them if we didn't need E-prescribe. We brought in a nurse practitioner and needed to be able to document this information. I love them and would recommend any new start up company to try their services!

Pros

User friendly interface; client portal easy to use; video capabilities; email and text reminders are standard not extra; staff and biller use is standard; contract is month-to-month and so many other good features! They provide more than one merchant servicer. We used Square and we had no problems. The success coach is amazing always available to assist.

Cons

Billing piece can be a little tricky but not too much that they won't help you with it. You will learn a lot about billing using their system.

Excellent Software

I have always felt important as a client of Counsol.com. There were times when I was having difficulty understanding how to navigate when I first started with them and my questions were always answered within 24 hours or less, often less. Customer service is great! They are on top of their product and the improvements they make to the site do not require interruptions for me.

Pros

This product is easy to use, secure, and integrated easily into my needs as a counselor to provide organized notes and supportive options for my clients via the secure email, easability to keep track of their invoices and paperwork to print and send to their insurance companies, ease of access to necessary forms to name a few. The calendar is easy to use in setting up the schedule, accepting payments...

Cons

What I like least about the software is the difficulty some of my clients have in being able to use the video feature when they first sign up. They also do have a tendency to feel confused about the many features available to them and some need a walk through in the beginning. I'm not sure how Counsol.com can improve on that as the icons to simplify things are very well done.

Excellent Customer Service but Things Need to be Improved

I am staying because it is very difficult to leave and learn a new system. Over the past 5 years, I have tried 4 and this one had the least awful things about it. However, there are several key things that really need to be improved in the accounting system that are not getting addressed and I have brought them up multiple times. There is no good reason for invoices to have different balances depending on which screen you are looking at. I have used them exclusively for 2 years and I have yet to get all of my client accounts to balance out. This is frustrating. I also keep a separate spreadsheet because I do not find the system to be 100% reliable.

Pros

Scheduling works well. Most of my clients are technologically savvy and can schedule themselves. I also appreciate that I have a very knowledgeable, helpful, accessible, dedicated account manager. The help is not delivered through a bot or to a team where you receive minimal assistance, like some of the top rated software companies provide.

Cons

The accounting portion of this software is very difficult to use. There are hidden payments and transactions that you have to go hunting for and sometimes, invoice amounts can appear different on different screens. I cannot begin to count the number of hours I have labored over the accounts, trying to get them to balance.

Everything you need for your private practice EHR

This program allowed me to go completely online and paperless. I had no billing experience, and was able to learn how to bill in minutes a week and track claims easily - saving me a lot of money in lost time as well as lost payments. The electronic record is great and can be downloaded with a password if you need to send records to someone.

Pros

Counsol is the most complete, user friendly and affordable EHR I found available, created for the therapist who is also does billing, instead of expecting you to have a separate billing dept. You can do everything, from clients filling out intake forms, scheduling, appt. reminders, video sessions, and it integrates with the billing invoices for easy submission. All the forms, notes, treatment plans and ability to upload any documents you need is right there for every client. Plus the cost is flat rate, no hidden extra fees for anything and will never go up.

Cons

Over the years, as I have found I needed something, the Counsol team has worked to add and integrate it to the program. For instance, now the client can upload insurance cards, and send attachments, but not yet their picture ID, so there is a little room for improvement. There is no app, but the site does work on phones, its's just not as smooth as it could be. The internal email is HIPAA compliant, but the client has to be logged in.

A Successful Decision

Overall, using CounSol.com has been a great benefit to my business. I cannot imagine not having the features that I mentioned above. Each feature has helped my business run more smoothly.

Pros

I spent a lot of time researching various software programs to meet the needs of the new counseling center I was opening. I wanted an all-in-one system that would allow for customization with forms, EHR, online counseling, and billing. One of the features I like about this particular program is the client journal. I have several clients who really like that feature. I had set up a practice client and learned about the ins and outs of the program and decided it was the one for me even though it was a little more expensive than some of the others. I have not regretted this decision, as it has come through well for me.

Cons

There has been great improvement of the online platform over these months of COVID-19, but I feel that there may need to be even more improvement. I sometimes still have to use backup platforms due to issues with the online platform at random times. One thing I would also like is to be able to do groups online using this platform.

Everything I Need

It has been FABULOUS!

Pros

Counsol.com is a one-stop shop. I use it for every aspect of my practice management, from scheduling to billing, filing insurance claims and accepting credit cards, patient records, and video sessions. It is very easy to use, and when I do have the occasional question, I can usually find an answer in the user help section. If I can't, I know that if I send a request for help, it will come as fast as...

Cons

The only thing I'd like to see changed, currently, is a tweak to the video sessions so that they show how much time has elapsed, not just tell me when the session is "supposed" to end.

Best Software, Superb Customer Service

The customer service meets all expectations that I could have had for a software program! Each client gets a personal account manager that is literally at your service with one phone call, that actually goes to a REAL phone with a REAL person. My account manager, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], has created documents for me, has walked me through many of the processes of insurance submission, ERA reconciliation, and so much more. This personalized service and "training" that he offered helped me to get comfortable with the program very quickly. He was out of town once when I had sent an email (I had no idea), but my email was answered by a colleague. I so appreciated that I wasn't "left hanging" for the period of time that [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was unavailable.

Pros

I did a trial run of five different programs before I chose this particular one. This software has been a game changer in my practice! I love the versatility of being able to create (or have created) my own forms, mental health assessments, and documents at my fingertips AND at my client's fingertips. I love that it has capabilities of an "all in one" program from intake paperwork, to treatment plans, to submission of insurance claims, to account reconciliation, to telehealth calls, to collection of payments...this program literally does it all! Each client gets a personal account manager that is literally at your service with one phone call, that actually goes to a REAL phone with a REAL person.

Cons

I feel that the client portal is lacking in visual appeal and user friendliness. I often have clients who log into their portal, but then cannot "find" the things they are needing to complete or where to pay their invoices. I also feel the program is a bit pricey, as many features are an "add on" and you have to pay "per user". When you have multiple users and expect to add more to your practice, this can get quite expensive pretty quickly. There is a learning curve with the program that was a little tougher than I expected it to be considering my extensive computer skills background, but the customer service made the learning curve feel much less overwhelming.

Gold Standard for Practice Management Software

Pros

I have used CounSol for several years to manage all the functions of my private psychotherapy practice (scheduling, appointment reminders, notes, billing, claim filing). I recommend it to every single colleague that I encounter who is either looking for recommendations for practice management software or is unhappy with their current option. I find the interface intuitive, straight forward, and the...

Cons

I don't like that clients have to change password/get locked out after 60 days of inactivity but I understand why that is important for security purposes.

The Best Hands Down

Overall, I love Counsol and have been using them for over 3 years now. I recommend it to all of my friends in the mental health field. It is so easy to use and the price is amazing. LOVE LOVE LOVE this product!

Pros

I love how easy it is to customize, understand and train staff to learn and understand how to use the features. The price point is fantastic for the quality and amount of features.

Cons

I wish that some of the information that I can see was not accessible to the clinicians that work for my company. EX: The rate of service when booking a client or for them to input the CPT codes, just little things like that. I also wish there was an automated To Do List. EX: As soon as I have held a scheduled session with a client, the system would remind me to complete the progress note, billing, treatment plan etc.

BEST EHR for Counselors!

They have excellent customer service and are quick to answer questions and help however possible. They are fast via email and you have the option to call too. They are open to customer feedback and often update the software to incorporate many of our ideas.

Pros

Everything. It has changed so much over the last several years and only gets better. I love the text reminders, secure emails, ease of scheduling, use of treatment plans and the ability for the client to e-sign them...the income graphs, birthday reminders, ability to scan/upload and attach documents and pictures/art, credit card storage, insurance billing...there is so much to love!

Cons

Lack of progress note specifically for play therapists (but there is an option to create your own).

Excellent software for Private Practice of all sizes

I'm more efficient in my communication due to secure emailing capabilities. I don't wrestle with scheduling questions/needs because the software is intuitive and allows people to address these things independently. I feel more connected to clients through their ability to compose and share journal entries between sessions. I have zero worries about being HIPAA compliant for video sessions. Further, I can easily access all the information I need from anywhere.

Pros

I can't rave enough about all the ways in which this software has streamlined the work I do, allowing me to focus my energy where it's needed most - treating my clients! I never have to return calls for scheduling issues because Counsol handles all of that. Likewise, I never have to worry about getting consents signed and assessments completed because clients can easily access it from the platform.

Cons

It took me a bit of time to learn how to set up my designated hours and change such, but the customer service has been sensational - prompt, thorough, and will take suggestions for improvement.

I've tried the rest and this is still the best

My overall experience has been great. The customer service has been outstanding and very responsive.

Pros

I am able to take homework assignments and create forms for the clients to fill out right on the portal and not have to print out or download unless they want to. Billing is simple and easy. Clients can schedule their own appointments on thru the portal. The video sessions have been free of glitches most of the time and considering myself and most of my clients are in very rural areas that has been good. Intakes, treatment agreements, consent, privacy policies, etc able to be filled out and signed on client portal. client's report paying through client portal is easy and they are able to do it the day of their appointment before session. One price for unlimited reminders, active clients, claims, etc.

Cons

I do wish there was an app for myself and the clients but I am hopeful that will happen in the future.

Most features, best price, easiest to use

I haev saved time and money, been able to reduce no-shows because of reminders sent to my clients, been able to recoup losses for no-shows because of the ability to integrate a credit card system (that's low cost) where clients are required to keep a card on file (secure, meeting Federal standards) that I can run if they do not show up. I would keep going, but my next therapy appointment just walked in! Got to go! I can't recommend them enough.

Pros

I have been with Counsol for 5 years. It's like having my own administrative assistant. It has freed up more time (for me to fill with other things, lol). When I first looked for software, I signed up for free trials and even made a chart comparing the features. Counsol has the most features then, and continues to have them now. You can use Counsol as your website, since it has the ability to add pages...

Cons

Until recently, the video software has been in need of some updating. But they have worked to develop an even better platform for distance therapy. It's currently being finalized and I am excited to test it out ASAP!