TheraNest Reviews

4.52/5 (584 reviews)

Gary McClure, Ph.D., ABMP

All In with TheraNest

Reviewed 2018-11-21

Our office was using one company for scheduling patients and patient notification (text messaging); one company for billing; and one company for notes which resulted in huge opportunities for human error; the specific needs of our office were not addressed with any one company. TheraNest addresses most of our office needs in one integrated program. Scheduling, appointment notifications, progress notes, billing, and ERA (eventually). I previewed the ERA and it looks like it will efficiently apply payments to billed services. I am very satisfied with TheraNest and strongly recommend it for other Behavioral Health providers. Imported years of data from another system into TheraNest with no errors and very limited time commitment. Their customer support was very helpful and honest about the transition. TheraNest is full featured- Our office used a competitor program for 30+ years but wanted/needed a cloud based state of the art EHR program- Our office tried several other popular programs but they all had significant limitations. We are very excited about Theranest. Our Office is new to the program but so far so good. The customer support is excellent. They are adding features frequently, including specific features requested by users. The start up learning curve is doable and our staff picked it up in a few days versus weeks. The scheduling, pt. appointment notifications, calendar, and agenda are well thought out and fully integrated. The initial intake note and progress notes took some getting used too but they work very well- DX codes are easily entered and updated. The progress notes are very professional and signed and cosigned if necessary. I know this sounds like a paid advertisement but I have spent a lot of time, money and effort trying other programs and I was never more encouraged than with Theranest. Our goal was to be fully functional with the transition from our current system to Theranest by January 2019. We are ahead of schedule and our intention is to bill our first full month of receivables for November 2018.

Karen Allen

Overall, my favorite EMR of the five I have used and tried.

Reviewed 2018-02-21

Set up to document all phases of counseling; ability to upload documents into client records; MSE with each progress note; can email clients through client portal for HIPPA compliance; clients can securely complete, sign, and submit intake paperwork through client portal; ability to accept credit and debit cards easily for services rendered; GREAT invoicing and billing features; automated appointment reminders; integrated calendar; multi clinician capability; Wiley planner and progress note features; the reports feature is fantastic for tracking payments, invoices, and notes status. Subscribers can also develop custom forms for clients or for clinician documentation needs. The help and tutorial features are easy to follow, and customer service has been responsive. TheraNest continually seeks feedback about subscriber needs and uses that feedback to improve their product. There is also an internal office chat box feature.

Kyle McCall

Never felt alone; even in my darkest times.

Reviewed 2018-01-08

TheraNest has EVERYTHING in one place. I have search high and low for several years; applied, signed up, and trialed several other soft-wares, and none of them compare to TheraNest. The Client Portal is a surprise when I share the feature with my patients. The Customer Service being accessible to all providers (Inters and Residents alike) is a huge plus so I do not find myself training (and retraining) through the semester to a new class when they can find the answers easily on their own. TheraNest makes the end of my session a 10 min wrap up with documentation, and the end of my day a 5 min wrap up to submit ALL billing. I save money on not having to hire a full-time employee to manage my billing and claims; merely a contract when there is an issue with the insurance themselves and a phone call is needed beyond my knowledge.

Patrick Aleknavicius

TheraNest is an evolving EHR platform with a great interface, and excellent technical support.

Reviewed 2016-05-17

I have been using TheraNest for approximately 6 months. Here are some of my thoughts. Pros: Excellent User Interface. Very logical and intuitive to use, and a clean design. Very cost effective for practices with multiple clinicians. Extremely responsive technical support. Easy to use mobile applications. Nice features for streamlined and integrated billing, invoices, and SuperBills being created and sent to clients. Integrated CC processing. Patient portal for submitting intake paperwork. (add on charges) Patient reminders with SMS and phone calls. (add on charges) Excellent Up-Time and great communication from the owner. Cons: Limited customization options for the interface, reports, and standard progress notes. Not really fitting for practices with a prescribing professional. Creation of patient forms can be tedious and is not easily ported between TN accounts for different practices. Lack of ability to connect businesses with separate Tax IDs to a master account. (Modern practices increasingly use teletherapy, which can mean multiple business locations, Tax IDs, etc., and each location needs a separate TN account.) Lack of ability to connect the calendars of multiple practice locations to prevent double booking or double data entry. Overly basic invoicing and SuperBill formats without customization options (Per tech support, this is currently being revised, but is not yet released.) Inability to customize the Dashboard metrics, and current monitoring tools have limited practical utility. (Poor cash flow tracking, no notice of unwritten notes, etc.) Overly limited options for clinician site access (It is essentially either a decision to allow clinicians access to all billing information, or none.) Limited payment tracking for tracking payments to clinicians. Overall, I have chosen to stay with TheraNest, and am happy with the simplicity of it all. If the developers continue to help the site evolve, and address some or all of the concerns noted above, I will most likely stay with them and renew my contract for another year.

Ginny Mills

Very good resource for our group practice

Reviewed 2016-11-11
Review Source: Software Advice

We have been users of Theranest for the last year. It is very, very user friendly, especially compared with some of the other products that we demo'd. Most things were very, very well --- scheduling, appointment reminders, progress notes, reporting features that help us know who is current with progress notes and assessments and who has gotten behind, treatment planning and diagnostic features. We do not use the Wiley Treatment Planner library, but we might at some point and are thrilled that it is available. We initially used the merchant account features to run credit/debit/flex cards through the system, but we found we could save considerably by having a merchant account with our bank instead. Switching back and forth was not a problem. We have generally been very pleased with most aspects of the service, especially the finance terms. This platform works very well for a practice that has several clinicians and when the work is exclusively individuals, couples or families. We love it that we pay a rate based on the number of active clients, not the number of users. We have several part-time staff who want and need to be able to use the same system, and other EHRs charge by clinician. The best part, though, is that it looks and feels very much like a paper record, and getting tech-anxious clinicians to make the switch from paper really very easy. Even the most reluctant found that they love it and do not complain about changing from paper to EHR.

Carly Anderson

Average. Some strong features and some poor features

Reviewed 2018-01-10

The mobile feature; Notes/scheduling/billing all in 1 program and platform; Client portal; Visually easy to understand and use without a lot of needed guidance;

JudyAnn Lorenz

My experience has been great. There have been some changes to get used to, but we've gotten there.

Reviewed 2018-03-30

Professional benefits for practice management.Flexibility to manage the calendar without losing information. I like the options. Being able to add service codes for a busy practice. The in-practice chat is invaluable for the clients using it. Search and expanded view are very helpful. Powerful and speedy when uploading files. Real support. I've made requests for changes (along with others) and received attention. I've found some 'hacks' that made my task go smoother and enjoyed sharing them with support. Colorful. May seem a little thing, but we can have distinctive identity on the calendar for each or for all. Not necessary to open a completely different screen. Every effort to be secure. Never a problem with security or an uneasy hint that things aren't working right. Almost zero down time. We're working with 'machines', there is bound to be some down time, but the occurrences have been rare and quickly solved. Professional action. This reflects on patient desire for security. The appearance and behaviors for entering information are professional. Ample patient reminders. Patients can respond to reminders to connect with me if we miss one another on the phone. Email is especially good for this. I reviewed this software about a year ago and have come to like it even more.

Joseph Pearson

Great EHR for Private Practice

Reviewed 2017-02-07

The software is really good for a new private practice. Like any EHR software there is always a learning curve. For practitioners who are already adept with other EHR software this is fairly simple and learning curve is not difficult. At the beginning it may seem difficult but you can test/tinker around with the features without any negative consequences. Suggest you create a test dummy client and play with the features. You can delete the dummy file later. Customer services has been positive in all my interactions. I did not feel like I got stiffed any money or felt like customer service is a robotic call center in another country. Customer service always was courteous and tried their best to answer questions. If a problem arose, they tried their best to solve it or if it was a issue out of their hand, they were up front & responsible in their responses. The features are what a private practice needs including a) prog. notes b) ledger & forms for billing c) treatment plans d) built in assessment e) graphs to track cancellations, outstanding ledgers, and payments f) calendar for appointment schedules g) ability to upload documents to client's record and more. As a single software source for a private practice one really doesn't need extra software than TheraNest. The only flaw I ran into was the claims process. Specific insurance companies and Medicaid require specific boxes on claim to be filled in a specific way. The service location is the challenge on form 1500 which created a small headache. If you use one service location and that is all then it should be no problem. If you have 3 - 4 service locations such as multiple offices and you have to bill each location with a different number then it can be a little challenge. The problem can be remedied at the next level of billing at the clearinghouse which is what I did. In simple terms if you are just a single private practice and have one location then this issue will not arise. This is why TheraNest is great for private practices rather than large corporations. Cost for Theranest is decent because it charges based on the number of clients. Also if you have between 2 - 5 active clients, the cost is already covered once your claims get paid. At the time I started it was around $ - $ a month. With a single claim of $ - $ paid, the cost is already covered. Overall, I highly recommend it for a private practice and clinicians who are just getting started in their own practice.

Christy Clark

Excellent practice management software for my solo practice.

Reviewed 2018-12-06

I find the company is always growing, looking for ways to improve based on clinician feedback. Two changes/improvements have been made that I've requested (along with others) and they've made many many other improvements that hadn't necessarily occurred to me but that have increased efficiency or streamlining. The customer service is excellent. I used to spend hours doing my billing, and before that paid a human being by the hour to do it for me, and now it's literally a few clicks. I have very busy solo practice (30-35 patient hours per week) and I am 100% on top of my Intakes, notes, billing and incoming payments.

Chanel Cox

I have been using Theranest for the past 3 years and I am still being impressed by their product!!!

Reviewed 2017-07-21

I aids my practice in running efficiently in all areas.The user friendly software, color scheme, and efficiency is what I like most. I recommend it to my clients and I have not gotten one complaint about your EHR. It is great for the administrative staff, clients (Therabook), and the therapist. I love that their staff make me feel like we are one big happy family working together. My questions are answered in a timely manner and they are answered effectively. The same day I might add. Theranest is the best choice for a mental health private practice.

Stacy Feinsot

TheraNest offers everything I need to keep my practice organized and paper-free!

Reviewed 2017-05-09

TheraNest is one-stop shopping! For an affordable monthly cost, I get everything I need to keep my practice running smoothly - I can schedule patients, send them forms ahead of their appointment via the Client Portal, submit my insurance claims in two simple clicks, and keep track of my income by running monthly reports. I also like being able to write assessments and progress notes in my own style using the customs forms feature. Can't forget about customer support; TheraNest is great over the phone, and they certainly listen to customer requests by continuously adding new features each month. For someone looking for a paperless and organized practice, TheraNest is a must!

Donna Massey

Supportive, convenient, affordable, quality product!

Reviewed 2017-05-18

The client portal and the fact that the intake can be done online! I love custom forms, the appointment reminders, emails, payroll.... I love it all! I especially love the customer service. I'm a loyal customer especially because of the way they are with their customers (texting, emailing and constant improvements). 10 stars!

Mark Brown

Great Product & Pricing But Service Note Functionally Lacking

Reviewed 2017-03-03

I second all the glowing reviews but our Group bills Public Payers (Medicare, Tricare, Medicaid) in addition to commercial payers. We loved the user interface and ability to set up locations, accept payments, billing interface, and access /caseloads. Theranest has THE best pricing of the competitors. Most EHRs want to charge by # of Providers. That works great if every Therapist is Full Time. Theranest charges by tiers of # of active Clients so their pricing is linked to your revenue. GREAT Concept! However the Progress Note feature does not work for our Payers. The built-in SOAP Note is the only Note that will integrate with the client's treatment plan. Our Payers require that each Note is linked to a Treatment Goal. Also ALL of our Payers require PIE or BIRP format. Our therapist were not able to select/change the CPT/Service code when they completed their Clinical Service Note. The CPT/Svc code selection is made in the Appointment Screen and the therapist would have to go to another screen to change the Service Code. All the Therapist sees is the session elapsed time that they can change , for example, 60 minutes can be for family or Ind. therapy (different CPT codes). Also it puts the burden on the scheduler to choose the correct service vs the Therapist that conducts the session. Also, there was no way to seemingly enter an Add-on CPT code (complexity/crisis) to the primary service. AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE!! I did the 30 day trail and asked for a 14 day extension they were very accommodating. Wish the Progress Note documentation had met our needs.Ease of Use Multiple Locations Accept payments and Billing Integration Wiley Treatment Planners integration

Jane Wall

Theranest makes running my practice so much easier.

Reviewed 2017-12-23

Life is busy, and this streamlines my practice so that info, notes, and billing are all just clicks away. It is so easy to bill insurance companies, and the encryption for credit cards is a dream!

Philip Alex

TheraNest has transformed how I document and manage my solo private practice -- Outstanding!

Reviewed 2015-10-26

I have been using TheraNest for nearly two years. I compared it to three other popular online practice management subscription software programs for mental health professionals and decided on TheraNest because its features met the needs of my practice and because the customer service is suberb. PROS: The program provides easy calendaring, full case documentation capability with printable case notes, a great mental status assessment feature, an ICD-10 compatible diagnosis selector, excellent invoice and superbill capability, color-coded client balance indicators, optional client reminders, optional client portal, insurance billing, optional credit card capability, capability to upload files and other documentation from your computer, batch client billing, custom form creation, a wide range of "report" features to help track one's practice, and much more. The program is generally simple to navigate. Customer service/support are absolutely superb: responses to inquiries are rapid, courteous, personable, thorough, and effective. Beyond providing outstanding service, the customer support personnel and the development team have been highly receptive to my suggestions for improvement and for new features that I hoped to see incorporated in the program. To my delight, quite a number of changes to the program have occurred as a direct result of my suggestions and recommendations. That has made me feel like not merely a user of TheraNest, but rather like a participant in its evolution, which has been very exciting for me. I use this progam multiple times a day, every work day. I depend on it heavily and enjoy using it. I have never regretted making the switch from a traditional file and paper practice to TheraNest's online subscription service. CONS: Very few, indeed. I would love to see greater integration within the program from a user interface perspective, a little more attention paid to logical workflow, a little less redundancy with respect to access links and buttons, some further cleanup of (by now relatively minor) inconsistencies in tab, page, button, and link labeling; I would also prefer a more modern overall "look" to the program, but that is my aesthetic preference and is not a significant issue for me in the big picture. I recommend this program highly and without reservation!

Rachel Gardner

Quality Product & Caring Staff

Reviewed 2018-02-09

I love how I can use one system to schedule clients, complete documentation (intake, diagnostic impressions, treatment plan, case notes), billing (private pay or insurances via clearinghouse, and credit card processing). It helps me to stay organized and sets reminders for tasks. Theranest has provided me with ease of billing, documentation, and scheduling clients. Their fees are very reasonable and you get a lot for the price you pay. The staff are consistently looking for ways to improve their produce and regularly incorporate suggestions from their customers. Their customer support team is efficient, kind, and professional. I had a situation wherein I needed to get reimbursed for an added feature due to me not being able to use it. Due to personal circumstance, I was unable to request the reimbursement immediately and they were very empathetic and helped me. Their team offered condolences, virtual hugs, and were readily available to provide additional support as needed. It was a testimony that this is an organization who really cares about its customers.

Greta Pankratz

If you value customer service, this is the program for you!

Reviewed 2018-11-19

All my billing is integrated. My clients love the appointment reminders and that their co-pays are paid with a click of a button after each appointment. My new patients love the patient portal. My notes are much more thorough and audit-proof. All my patients who were with me before the switch have commented that they like theranest better. 1) The customer service by far! I've never had an issue getting questions answered. 2) I love the customizable forms and the client portal. 3) I enjoy that it works with by previous clearinghouse, office ally. I love that I get help with billing when I need it. 4) I love that I can save credit cards and be paperless with my forms and client signatures. 5) I am enjoying that it syncs to my calendar so I can easily avoid double-booking my personal life and work life.

Veronica Johnson

The TheraNest is very responsive to ideas and to questions.

Reviewed 2017-12-21

I use it daily.It's all-in-one and I only have to learn one program to take care of scheduling, notes, billing, etc.

Cory Taylor

The software is easy to use, billing is quick and simple, awesome options for treatment planning.

Reviewed 2017-12-07

I like the ease of billing, very simple and quick. Theranest offers classes to increase knowledge of billing and how to avoid mistakes.

Jackie King

Great Software Solution for our Group Practice

Reviewed 2016-06-16

I'll start by saying TheraNest has some of the best customer service I have ever encountered which made the difficult transition to using practice management software so much easier for our office. We are a small non-profit mental health counseling agency that was badly in need of updating office efficiency. From the very beginning of setting up a demo to on-going questions, they have been patient, understanding, and very helpful. We also found this software to be the most affordable option with the most features after A LOT of research. We are very pleased overall! We think that TheraNest is overall easy to use and staff in our office quickly learned the functions. It has been very reliable and is continuously updated to add new features and improvements. Again we have been very grateful for the customer service and tech support that is on-going. Lastly this was this software product offered all the functions (i.e. scheduling, reminders, billing, documentation) we were looking for at a reasonable price.

Kenneth Winfrey, LCSW

TheraNest Helped Me Improve Every Area of Practice

Reviewed 2018-11-28

As stated above, I feel that I am better able to store information in a manner that invites reconciliation with time and money management. The Planners have provided some inspiring ideas as well as reliable language to describe some pretty important aspects of therapy. I am able to use TheraNest to manage both macro and micro social work, with some adaptation, as well. I was a database developer, and had tried to create my own computerized record system long before we coined the term "EHR." TheraNest met all of the needs I tried to fulfill and that were lacking from other programs. I feel that I am better able to store information in a manner that invites reconciliation with time and money management.

Casey Simon

Theranest for Private Practice

Reviewed 2017-04-25
Review Source: Software Advice

I have used several scheduling and billing programs in my private practice and find Theranest to be a top contender. Theranest offers a wide variety of useful tools, such as scheduling, schedule reminders, electronic insurance claims, billing, documentation, and analytics for attendance, billing, and scheduling. I have been using Theranest for a few years now and find it to be relatively glitch-free, and when I encounter an issue or have a question, customer service is extremely helpful and quick to respond. Theranest does a great job when it comes to submitting electronic insurance claims, creating superbills and/or invoices, and has plenty of storage for electronic files. Theranest also has an ios application that is user-friendly and helps with scheduling and task management.

Monica Hill, MS, LPC

Comprehensive EHR with no contract

Reviewed 2016-11-05

My colleagues and I began with a very comprehensive - and expensive - software that was confusing and frustrating to navigate. After doing a free trial twice and speaking with customer service about questions and concerns, we decided to switch to TheraNest. After being in business for a year, we have no regrets doing so. It continues to grow with us. And, we could not be happier with the software and team at TheraNest1. Very cost-effective 2. Stellar customer service with instant messaging 3. User-friendly 4. Comprehensive Intake, Diagnosis Eval, MSE, and progress notes fields 5. Custom forms 6. Email and Text reminder for clients 7. Streamlined insurance billing process 8. Continually enhancing software based on feedback from the professionals who utilize the software 9. Utilizes Wiley Treatment Planners and Progress Notes 10. Supervisor signature on progress notes for supervisees 11. Alerts of upcoming appointments, supervisory comments, etc 12. Instant messaging for all on your account 13. Free trial

Joseph Pearson

Highly Recommended Software

Reviewed 2018-10-18

It has been my primary EHR.Theranest has come a long way since it was started. Theranest is a software that has the ability to keep progress notes, remind clients of appointments, create treatment plans, connect up to a clearing house for claims, track profit, track session hours, and conduct online therapy sessions. I made a review back in 2016 but need to now re-review it because it has improved greatly in the past 2 years. The changes have been with added features and user friendliness. As a private practitioner I would greatly recommend for private practice or small agencies.

Cary Twichell

Great value

Reviewed 2015-11-04

I am a therapist working in private practice; I do all my own record keeping and accounts. Pros - Fantastic provider support - quick, friendly, and personable. Very reasonable monthly rates. Once you get the hang of it, quite easy to use. Pretty to look at. Cons - It was much harder than expected to learn how to navigate the software. Connecting to the electronic billing was difficult, cumbersome, and extremely time-consuming. First you have to set up electronic billing agreements with each insurance provider. Then, billing information for each insurance company, and in some instances, each plan within the company, has to be entered individually and with great care to make sure it is working right. For instance, an EAP within United/Optum might be billed under a completely different customer ID than their regular individual coverage. YOU have to make sure everything is exactly right. Expect this, initially, to take many hours of tedium - and expect a hiccup whenever a plan, copay, or coverage changes. I don't know if this is true of all record-keeping software programs, or particularly Theranest, but it is a pain. Specific things I don't love about Theranest mostly include financial/bookkeeping functions. When I receive a payment, I have to receive it manually in TWO places - the client's ledger, and also the Submitted Claims section. This is silly. Also, maneuvering between sections is not intuitive (for me, anyway) and it took awhile to become adept.