TherapyNotes, LLC Logo
TherapyNotes, LLC

Online mental health EMR and practice management software.

visit website

TherapyNotes, LLC Reviews

4.7

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.19/10

Reviews by rating

Customer support is great, not a software that we will recommend to other practices that reach out to us inquiring software that is the best for their practice.
Billing is so easy and it gives you billing at your finger tips, it is user friendly and the staff is awesome on assisting if you are not sure how to utilize all the features.
I am struggling with it, at this time however, because I am having to (at 53 y.o) learn how to do my own billing and am often lost in these very spooky woods alone.
I have 2 complaints having used one of TherapyNotes competitors at my previous practice. One, I miss having an app on my phone.
One more complaint: I have been a psychologist for over 25 years.

JK

Jane K.

Therapist

Great customer service

Transcript

Jane K.: Hi, my name is Jane and I'm the owner, clinician of my own company. I give TherapyNotes four...

Melech M.

owner and provider

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

My experience with therapy notes after 2 years

Transcript

Melech: Hi, I'm Melech. I am the owner and practitioner of my practice. I purchased TherapyNotes. I would...

Madison (Madi) M.

Phenomenal Customer Care!

Therapy Notes consistently provides me with excellent customer service, quick solutions, and supportive information. I have easily gained more in value than the monthly expense, and it is with a great ease of mind that I use them to support myself and my clients. Thanks for all your hard work!

Pros

+Quick Responses +User friendly +Flexible +Easy to learn +Receptive to feedback

Cons

-Cost (but still worth it) -No tele-health/online therapy options or direct client scheduling (yet)

Thanks for the glowing review! There actually is client self scheduling. Call us and we will wall you through setting it up. Thank you!

WB

Wendy B.

Mental Health Care, 11-50 employees

Longtime customer of TN - almost 10 years

Love love love!!! My experience has been fantastic on all areas of running a single private practice and growing into a large group private practice that accepts most major insurance carriers. Highly recommended.

Pros

I love the intuitive structure of TN and the prompts that make everything easy to set up. TherapyNotes support desk is the absolute best I have ever encountered in any capacity or task. TN makes it easy to expand your practice and grow in ways that need business support without taking away from clinical time. I love the ability to give some transparency to the therapist that chose to work in my group. TN really makes running a large group practice possible without breaking the bank or losing clinical time (or my mind).

Cons

That every issue I have to call support desk for is a USER ERROR!!!! One thought I had was that other therapists in my group practice can see each others revenue report. I love I can bring this up to TN and they add it to the list of things they work on - TN has made updates that I have requested in the past and it's so lovely.

DG

Doug G.

Disappointed after 3 years with the platform

Pros

Good documentation management. Well-designed for use with families and minors. Billing features met my needs as a practitioner not accepting insurance.

Cons

Infrastructure problems abound with TN. There was a multi-day service outage in the summer of 2017, with little communication from the company to customers during the outage and no compensation for the downtime. In December 2017/January 2018, I finally lost my patience with the platform when the company decided to implement a major change in the database mid-week and the database upgrade destabilized...

JR

Jodie R.

Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

It is a good day when your notes are done.

Great. I can do what I need to do with it. I can even offer teletherapy from with in it and it seems to work sufficiently.

Pros

It is a good system and easy to use and does what I need it to do.

Cons

I would like to be able to have more customs ability to color code things.

ET

Ellie T.

Hands Down Makes My Life Easier

Pros

TherapyNotes makes my life as a therapist and practice owner easier. Easy to customize (most) forms (and the ones that are less customizable it seems they are updating to make more so!). I find the charting to be very user-friendly, and, if you're billing insurance, they include within their documentation everything that insurance companies would require. And if I ever have any questions, the customer service is truly remarkable - very knowledgable, wonderful follow up and follow through, and I have never once spoken with someone where I felt like I was someone inconveniencing them or they hated their job (which, sadly, can happen with a lot of customer service!).

Cons

I honestly don't have any major complaints. The most recent treatment plan update is a bit cumbersome but they put out an announcement that they were getting that feedback and were making improvements immediately.

NC

Nicole C.

Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

Excellent EHR for mental health companies

It’s been very helpful in navigating insurance discrepancies and customer service has been very helpful with that area as well.

Pros

We love how easy clinicians can navigate the system, the frequent updates, and customer service is superb.

Cons

I think there are opportunities to include several assessments yet but they continue to work on that by adding more and more.

BF

Bill F.

Best software for Behavioral Health

I am looking to keep paperwork to a minimum, remain organized and on top of my notes and billing- TN does this very well for me.

Pros

It is comprehensive and meets all of the needs I have to run my practice efficiently. TN seems to be constantly working on future improvements in all functional areas of the system. It helps me keep up with notes and billing in a seamless manner and the system availability is pretty close to 100%!

Cons

I really have no thoughts about what would be better.

KR

Kaye R.

Mental Health Care, self-employed

Worth it! A few changes would make TherapyNotes the perfect mental health EMR!

Pros

Excellent and quick telephone customer service with an expansive hours of operation, ease of insurance billing, simple design that is easy to follow, comprehensive and accurate to-do list, large selection of detailed online help/support pages. TherapyNotes is also proactive with updating their software on a regular basis.

Cons

When registering a new client, they are only granted TherapyPortal Access for seven days. This has proven to be an issue numerous times when the client needed to contact me to resend their link to access the portal. Also, it is a major inconvenience that clients cannot reset their own passwords on the portal. Clients must contact an administrator in order to reset their own password; there is no reason...

DL

Dr. Lakeia J.

Mental Health Care, 51-200 employees

Loving therapy notes!

Pros

I like everything about therapy notes. Suggestions of changes and additions are listed below.

Cons

The scheduling view is not good with the amount of providers we have. We are unable to view all providers on the schedule at one time. Also would like the ability to compete forms on a clients behave with the client in session. The forms should be able to be downloaded in PDF format and printable format. The ability for 2 Supervisors’s to sign off on clinical documents when needed. We need The ability to not allow counselors to delete a task on their to do list. Only supervisors or practice admins should be allowed to do this.

vc

vincent c.

Mental Health Care, self-employed

my first weerk with therapynotes

not much yet.

Pros

I hope it will prevent the loss of records and improve the ease of retrieval of records when needed. It will use the same format for all records so less confusion or missed forms

Cons

the program "requires" the insertion of a date of birth before the client can get signed in. Psychology today does not ask these questions when a client clicks in to see me. So no3w I have to call the client to get date of birth. Why can't we sign someone in and then ask for date of birth. Save amount of work and trying to call client or text them for this one piece of information

BS

Barry S.

Initial impression

Overall, very positive experience. Although it proved to be frustrating in the early stages, I realize that I’ve been able to upload a practice of about 30 patients within a month, and get more comfortable with the system.

Pros

I appreciate the cues promoting more detailed and specific treatment planning. I also really like the to do list, accessible from the main page, as well as in each client record. I have found the phone support to be excellent although at times, the wait to speak to a support person can be long. The main reason I continued with therapy notes was the opportunity to use their card services, which appears to have the lowest fees of the more common credit card service providers.

Cons

I would like to be able to more easily customize the reporting aspects of the clinical note and treatment plan. And the billing component has been rather awkward to use. I was, however, dismayed that my application to enroll in credit card services was denied, due to lacking proof of an office lease. I am primarily doing virtual care and so I lease hourly when I need to see a client in person. I am hopeful that the client services support person has found a solution and I should be accepted for credit card services within a couple of days.

JM

Jennifer M.

Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

TherapyNotes knocks it our of the park!

Overall, TherapyNotes is exceptional! Customer Service is outstanding in resolving issues quickly, and over the years the representatives I've spoken with have all been kind and patient. TherapyNotes is user friendly....easy to learn and easy to train new staff. This is a must!

Pros

Many features of TherapyNotes are so helpful and effecient. The scheduling is easy and the software is very user friendly.

Cons

The billing is always a nightmare no matter which software is used. However, I would like TherapyNotes to find a more user friendly way to bill multiple insurances and a better way to be able to easily see which has been billed and what has been paid. Currently when entering new information such as insurance ID, addresses, phone numbers, payments,....once a new one is entered the old information goes away.

Thank you for the great review. We are rolling out a feature that maintains historic insurance information. It will be enabled for all accounts soon. See our blog for more info.

MK

Mary Kate S.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

No regrets

I chose this product for the value and the reputation for outstanding support. I've been pleasantly surprised over and over again as they continue to improve on what was already a clean, intuitive program.

Pros

Customer support is superb, especially compared to the practice management software we were using prior. Therapy Notes constantly improves and updates, adding both free and paid features. Updates are never disruptive and always ultimately improve our workflow.

Cons

Enrollment for ERAs, EFTs, and EDI could be smoother- the clearinghouse is a separate entity, and the instructions they provide through Therapy Notes aren't always clear or complete.

SS

Suci S.

Mental Health Care, self-employed

Therapy Notes is the only EHR platform I'll use.

I've been with Therapy Notes since I started my private practice and I won't use anything else.

Pros

I love the calendar feature in Therapy Notes. I also love the progress note platform. I find Therapy Notes easy to use and intuitive. Anytime I've needed help customer service has been there. I have no complaints.

Cons

The only thing I would like to see is a little bit more color coordination for the calendar or the ability to choose colors for specific appointment types myself.

DB

David B.

Individual & Family Services, 1-10 employees

Easy For All

Overall, I've enjoyed using the product, and look forward to continue using it. The pricing is competitive, especially for a non-profit, this has been a great selling point when compared to other companies.

Pros

I like that the software has a lot of built in features that are handy when starting to use the software. The company has also release a lot of great videos on youtube to help you navigate through the different options and features included in the software. I've used these videos to help find answers to questions. Next, it has been really easy for my clients to use as well. Their portal allows for easy transfer of paperwork and allows for clients to sign things electronically, so clients don't always have to download and sign the document then reupload it.

Cons

At this time, the telehealth feature doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Zoom or Microsoft Teams (MT) has. This is, from my understanding, a new feature so I hope they continue to work on this. Screen share or screen flipping would be helpful as I used these a lot during sessions when I used MT. It would also be useful if when you entered into the telehealth feature, it would open into a separate window so that you could still access the client's file or library.

EJ

Elaine J.

Software effectiveness

I am in the promotional period and so far I am impressed by the delivery of service. The ability to import treatment plan information right into the notes saves time, because they do it for you. They are always available to support you every step of the way.

Pros

What I like most is the ease of use or adding patients, payers, and notes. I am able to set reminders for these features, create my own templates and add them to my library for myself or organizations use. Sending documents though the client portal is amazing, there is no need for print, fax or encrypted emails to get authorizations signed it is done electronically. Telehealth is included free! CUSTOMER SUPPORT IS THE BEST.

Cons

For special cases ie. Minor clients requiring multiple caregiver access to the client portal would need two account for the same client. It is not hard to do, however developing a portal link for such cases would be great! The pricing is reasonable, I don't like the individual charges in addition to the subscription cost. Such as submitting the billing claim to insurance is charged as additional cost per client. This can add up if bulk claims are not authorized by some payors. A portal link for Child welfare cases would be great! accepting credit cards is also an add on feature charge per transaction.

SF

Sion F.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

TherapyNotes was the right move for us

Overall, their customer support can't really be beat. I like how quickly the implementation process has gone for us. I am in love with all aspects of claims management in this software.

Pros

We've streamlined our billing and our clinicians are finally able to create electronic charts!

Cons

I think missing certain features like robust patient portal billing could be good. Internal chat/messaging would also be great.

Katie M.

Beyond Outstanding!

A+++++ EXCEPTIONAL, FAST AND ACCOMMODATING CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM A COMPANY I FEEL IS A TRUE TEAM WHO UNDERSTANDS ME AS A PROFESSIONAL (AND HUMAN BEING) AND THEY ARE ALWAYS, ALWAYS WILLING TO HELP ME IF A HARDSHIP ARISES AND WILL HONOR THAT EACH TIME BY HELPING ME OR ANYONE ELSE (as long as it doesn't become a continuous habit). They're truly amazing. I LOVE this company!

Pros

Therapy Notes (as an organization) provides optimal, timely, friendly & solution-focused customer service for any need I've called about. They are EXTREMELY UNDERSTANDING if you experience a Hardship of Financial setback (I was diagnosed with Lupus) and will do ALL it takes to accommodating your needs to help get you back on track. Their software interace is extremey user-friendly (setting up your...

Cons

I'd say the ONE thing that makes it Exceptional::: LOL:::: The program forces providers to complete their clinical documentation within 24-48 hours. Unless you do so, the system blocks your ability to "bill" (and get paid!!) Ugh (but it's a good thing!) I wish they'd develop an APP. I've been asking them for almost 4 years, yet they don't have one? Despite making several other changes to their system...

Thank you Katie for the A+++++ review! Yes we do require notes before you can submit claims, but to be clear there is no "24-48 hour" requirement. You can do your notes whenever you want, as long as you do it before you bill. We haven't prioritized an app because we have so much else we want to accomplish. Plus, you CAN use TherapyNotes on your mobile device in your web browser, and you can push your appointments to your smart phone's mobile calendar. Please check the knowledgebase for instructions on how to do that. Thanks again! :)

JL

Jennifer L.

My Love/Hate Relationship with This Software

As a therapist, sometimes I feel like being with TN is akin to staying in a bad relationship. They don't actually promise anything but I keep staying because I keep hoping/believing they're going to come through one day and offer these features (i.e. fillable client intake forms that transfer the data into my intake note, a mobile app, and a two-way calendar). TN is also charging the same amount...

Pros

The good: First, TherapyNotes has outstanding customer service. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and able to troubleshoot issues within minutes after I've wrestled for hours trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Secondly, ease of billing. I have been with this service since 2015 and I've tried about four other EHR products, but I keep coming back to TN because of the ease of billing....

Cons

The bad: They consistently refuse to provide the simplest of features requested by their users. I am intentionally using the word "refuse" because it is clearly a choice made by TN. I asked TN in September 2016 if they would EVER implement an electronic intake form. TN told me they were "working on it" and gave me an estimate of December 2016. It actually didn't happen until several months later,...

Thank you for the review, Jennifer. We have a team of full-time developers working on TherapyNotes, and we are adding new features and improvements as quickly as we can, and the portal has been of significant priority. In addition to the Patient Information Form, we recently released the Patient Contact Form, and more forms and portal features are in development now. It is certainly not a matter of us refusing to add features, it's just a matter of getting to everything we want to accomplish.

BA

Beza A.

Mental Health Care, 11-50 employees

Overall Experience with TherapyNotes

I have also been impressed with the quality of the customer service with the support staff agent. The agent that assisted me one evening in particular, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was knowledgeable, friendly, and prompt in resolving my issues that had stalled my work previously. Much appreciated and will highly recommend!

Pros

TherapyNotes was relatively easy to use after practicing some changes when crossing over from a different EHR (Theranest). After a month of practice, I found the documentation was relatively easy for daily progress notes and the psychosocial intake components. I particularly liked the intake section where it divides the areas of psychosocial with the specific questioner. Another plus is scheduling...

Cons

The one thing I do find problematic with Therapynotes is the treatment plan section. The document allows the clinical to enter the approximate length of treatment however it does not allow for a clinical to set a review date (of 30, 60, or 90 days). This technically means Therappnotes does not generate a reminder for a clinical to review a treatment plan and resolve, complete, and or change with a selected review date in mind. That has been a rather frustrating experience and can possibly lead to audit issues.

Thank you for the glowing review! Actually, you can set the treatment plan review reminders! Visit The To-Do List Settings page. The default is 90 days, but you can adjust this value for your needs. Enjoy!

MS

Meg S.

Mental Health Care, self-employed

One Stop Shopping~ A great concept!

Several years ago I was providing services for people who had litigation/disability/workers comp. issues and the format and ease to send documents was critical in meeting their needs. As well as CYA as a clinician. (No small concern in this day and age.) Within the first year of my work with TherapyNotes, they were hacked and seriously compromised. It was then that I encountered the outstanding customer service and support. They worked around the clock to resolve the problem. Their customer support has not wavered or even fluctuated. My previous encounters with EHR were through hospitals and agencies (since 2007) and, in comparison, I find Therapy Notes equal and even surpassed other systems .

Pros

The company continues to grow, expand its' services and scope, without losing their outstanding level of customer support. Like many other senior clinicians, we have had to adapt to electronic medical records systems and billing after years of handwritten forms. The conversion has been daunting . When I changed billers last year, the fact that she could administer through TN actually deducted a percentage from her monthly fee. I am in the process of assisting patients in creating portal accounts so that I can use their telehealth platform. I've been with doxy.me for years and am not exactly pleased with their product.

Cons

Notes have to be completed before claims sent. This isn't always practical, although it does help with motivation to stay in front of charting. I wish it was easier for patients, especially elderly ones, for them to use the Telehealth without setting up an account. That in itself is a barrier.

LO

Lynn O.

SIx-year User of Therapy Notes--Couldn't Be Happier

They have the nicest, most helpful customer service of any company with which I have ever interacted. I'm serious. They pick up the phone, they actually help you, and they are exceeding pleasant the whole time. They even send you articles, You Tube videos, and email summaries (w/o you asking) so that you have something to further illuminate what they have told you and serve as a reference in the future.

Pros

The framework for the notes look like they are designed by a medical malpractice attorney or your malpractice insurance carrier (former attorney here). They cover every base and I love it, kidding aside, because it ensures that I am providing the top level of care to my patients (Did I check whether Pt had SI? What did Pt say vs. my perception of them?) Plus, I can customize the notes and carry over portions of former notes to make note writing more efficient for me.

Cons

I haven't found any mental health EHR that is doing this (only the really large, expensive medical programs), but I would pay more if TN could add a patient direct payment system to the Portal. I'm thinking that, with time, this is something that they will offer.

Thank you for the glowing review! You can actually accept credit cards on the portal with the Payment Authorization Form. You may also be happy to know that an upcoming feature will also patients to actually make payments.

CT

Caroline T.

Intuitive, Great Customer Service and Always Improving

Pros

TherapyNotes is really intuitive and easy to learn. It has great built-in reminder features to make it simple to use from a clinical perspective. I particularly love how the treatment objectives auto-populate into progress notes to keep you on track with monitoring and updating those. It's also really functional from an administrative and billing user perspective. I run a group practice and am really happy with TherapyNotes - I especially love the prompt and thorough customer service - it really sets them apart. I also love how often TherapyNotes is updated and really appears to take feedback and suggestions from users to heart. I am super impressed with this company!

Cons

I wish I could create an intake questionnaire that can be filled out online through the portal. Simple Practice had this feature and it was really functional and easy for clients.

MG

Michael G.

Medical Practice, self-employed

A complete billing system

The overall experience is very positive. Along with Zoom and Square, TherapyNotes is one of the three key enablers of my private practice.

Pros

It helps me bill in behalf of clients and organize that billing. TherapyNotes stays up to date. That saves me time and effort and assures the claims are processed. I'm a fee-for-service, out-of-network provider and get paid at the time of treatment. I do electronic billing on behalf of clients as a premium service. They appreciate taking the burden of filing off of their shoulders. It saves them time and gets them paid quicker. It is a minor effort on my part since the invoice flows from the session notes automatically. I have a couple of questions a year. Customer service answers quickly and accurately. What more can I ask?.

Cons

Integrating with my business was easy. Ten years ago it was somewhat labor-intensive to transfer from another EDI system but that's changed.

SM

Susan M.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Therapy Notes is a great product and the Customer Service is OUTSTANDING

Pros

Customer Service; it keeps improving; easy to set up a new client, schedule (free reminders two days before appointments are sent to clients), good templates for intakes, assessments, progress notes, great to do reminder lists, great EDI processing and more.

Cons

I have never been dis-satisfied with how I was treated. I may have not liked the answer :) - but the staff are great. The answers I don't like are when there are features I'd like that they don't have YET, so I have to do work arounds that take time. I would like the ability to BOLD, UNDERLINE and BULLET the text in my notes, better secondary insurance processing, and tele-therapy (currently using DOXY.me) I know they are working on these things, and with the things they aren't, they make a note and send it up the chain of command and tell me how to do the same, so I feel heard and valued.