QuickBooks Payroll Reviews

Pros

Using QBO for my business has been extremely helpful and easy to use. I have been very pleased with QuickBooks Payroll service since I started using the product and the cost is well worth it.

Stewart L.

I enjoy the excellent customer service provided each time I have called in. Each representative is patient, kind and you can hear the smile on the other end of the phone.

Monique V.

Wonderful software especially for start-ups to set up payroll and ensure all proper taxes, commission, and more is done accurately and easily. Gives great confidence payroll is accurate.

Kara L.

Cons

Some of the updates can be frustrating as well as the importing features (lost files, duplicate files, etc).

Theresa W.

My QB consultant warned me that Intuit payroll is screwing everything up and I should switch to ADP. But, no I did not listen and now they did the same mistake this year.

William D.

We went through hell last year, getting this resolved and their customer service sucks.

William D.

A useful tool for money

very god

Pros

This is a good product easy to use for advantage person

Cons

Maybe more online instructions would be good

Quickbooks Online Payroll

The software continues to be very efficient and provides ease of use. However, the confidence I have in customer service is what makes me stick with this software and not look elsewhere for an alternative.

Pros

Ease of implementation and constant guidance available from customer service to resolve any issue. Also the ability to access and run payroll from any device that can reach the internet provides so much productivity.

Cons

The Elite payroll service seems so restrictive. I cannot access many of the settings or execute many of the functions that I could through the Core payroll service. To change these settings I need to go through customer service, which was very confusing and frustrating during the implementation of the payroll service.

Payroll Made Simple

We had a great experience with them - we switched software mainly because of the cost.

Pros

This software was incredibly easy to use and navigate on the site. The best past was the customer service that was available to communicate with, learn from, and have access to for help when needed.

Cons

The cost is probably what I liked the lease - we were able to find cheaper that we switched to because of it.

They are so large now they make it difficult to speak with someone.

In the beginning the customer service was great, but over the years it has deteriorated. I still have on going issues where the mistaken filed my taxes under the wrong id number (the number was transposed) creating a issue with our Dept of labor unknow to me until years later. After, numerous calls, speaking to someone the issue is still a problem. Hey, mistakes happen lets just get it fixed. Now my employees have not received their pay, and now no one is available to let you know the issue.

Pros

When everything is good, things are great. But, when you have problem, (and you will sometime) they make it so difficult to get answers and issues resolved. When you a problem it will be a big issue and no one is around to help. You try chat, most of the time that doesn't resolve the issue, or question you may have. Have them call you back, that may or may not happen, but it won't happen in the time...

Cons

Software is great, but if you don't have customer service to support the software, the software become worthless. Because you will have issues and will need help.

I'm a happy camper.

Very good to outstanding overall. The software itself is very good and keeps improving. Also, as the market leader, they have many local CPA's that integrates into the software as "local experts", so when I have a question I can typically ask my CPA firm and they can help, or whenever there has been a problem that they can't solve, they are able to contact support on my behalf. Overall the system works pretty well.

Pros

The payroll service is really easy overall. All the tasks that I use are quite simple to navigate around, including adding new employees, paying employees, and sending out payroll liability payments. These are what I do most often and they've been really simplified by Quickbooks. Other functions that I use are payroll deductions (401k, etc), tracking sick/vacation time, and managing direct deposit. Another feature I like (part of QB Online, not sure about Desktop), is that employees are emailed a link to join their payroll management website, where they can access payroll stubs, W2's etc. It has made managing a lot of the HR parts of hiring employees much more streamlined.

Cons

Not really a con, but I don't have any experience with any of the direct competitors, e.g. Freshbooks, Sage, Xero, etc., so I can't say if Quickbooks does anything better or worse than those others. But what I can say is that I did switch from Quickbooks Desktop to Quickbooks Online, which is a much better experience overall (although more expensive).

New to Quickbooks auto payroll

I'm very new to Quickbooks Payroll but my experience thus far has been nothing short of great. I have been using other Quickbooks products for many years though and I'm very satisfied with Quickbooks as a whole.

Pros

This software includes all the features I was looking for in one place and for a great price. My main concern as a business owner was ease of usage, accessibility and automation. This software met all these requirements and then some. The interface is very easy to navigate and user friendly and I can access everything whether I'm at home, office or on the go with their array of applications. Once everything is set up properly, there's no need to worry about it which is a huge time saver for me. I'm very busy as it is meeting clients, drafting proposals and doing the accounting, so anything I can automate reliably is of great help.

Cons

The actual set up of the payroll was a lengthy process and required to have a lot of information on hand but I wouldn't really consider this too much of a con since I had one of their amazing specialists helping me with every single step of the process. She did almost of all the work for me if I'm being honest, I just inputted data as instructed. She was very thorough and thought of concerns I didn't even think about. Just make sure you have ample time to get through the whole set up calmly.

Best in house payroll software EVER!

Love Love Love it! I recommend all small businesses use this program. It will also file you taxes for you.

Pros

I love the reminders QB payroll gives me. I get busy and I have different employees on different pay schedules and QB reminds me to pay on time. The amount of lines I can use for commission, Mileage, Bonuses etc... it what makes this such a great program

Cons

It does not track commission to a specific job via the payroll check. Other than that it's awesome.

An Industry-Leader & Solid Product

Overall, the experience has been positive but I am unsure about the current trends and future

Pros

Name recognition; ease of access & availability to our firm and also the clients; and familiarity of the product.

Cons

The overall cost to use the product, largely due to always-increasing subscription prices, is the primary downside to using QuickBooks Payroll, or any Intuit/QuickBooks product.

Decent Product

Very good product, does what you need it to. However a few more detail options would be good.

Pros

Easy to use. Offers integration through third party apps

Cons

Unable to specify an Employee class type.

Quickbooks Assisted Payroll - Great for small businesses

Overall, it's been great for our company. As mentioned above, their customer service needs some help. Other than that, their payroll service has helped a tremendously, in keeping track of everything needed to comply to State and Federal filing and tax deadlines. I would recommended it as a tool to help ease the work for your payroll person in the office.

Pros

I like the ease of the payroll service. We have a small number of employees, yet prior to QuickBooks, sometimes quarterly payroll taxes were mis-calculated. With QuickBooks Assisted Payroll, we do not ever have to worry about sending in payments, as they are done for us automatically. W-2 are no longer a headache either, they are don't quickly and generated seamlessly.

Cons

When we do have issues, customer service is not to par. They stopped service many of their payroll services and when you do, you do get switched around a lot and many seem to not know the basics of payroll. - I wouldn't recommend their services if you need step by step help on processing your company payroll.

The best payroll software I'm aware of

I use Quickbooks Payroll for multiple organizations to process all aspects of payroll. I have used it for employees in four different states. I've already mentioned how useful it is in automatically calculating and tracking everything. I also use it to prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for government tax agencies. I especially appreciate the ability to e-file several tax reports and e-pay some taxes as well. Each year I prepare and file employees' w-2s using Quickbooks Payroll, which makes the process fairly simple.

Pros

My favorite thing about Quickbooks payroll also happens to be the most important thing about it...it is accurate! The payroll tax rates and rules are always updated to maintain accuracy in a changing landscape. When processing payroll, everything is automatically calculated and tracked for accuracy - including annual salary, vacation and/or sick pay, holiday pay, withholding tax, and unemployment tax. I don't have to worry about manually calculating things, knowing when there are tax changes, or potentially making mistakes.

Cons

I most dislike how expensive Quickbooks Payroll is. I only use the Enhanced Payroll subscription that integrates with existing Quickbooks desktop software or Quickbooks online subscription. That means I do all of actual work in processing payroll and payroll taxes, rather than using a more full-service option. I think the (ever increasing) several hundred dollars per year it costs to have the subscription is unreasonable. (In addition there's a separate fee for each direct deposit check.) However, the truth is, I rely so much on the functions of Quickbooks payroll that I continue utilizing it despite the cost complaints. I haven't come across anything better so I feel I have no choice.

If you are using contractors, QB online Premium is not a good solution

Overall good product, but frustrating for the segment that manages contractor payments.

Pros

pretty easy to use set up easily integrated in QuickBooks Online

Cons

Biggest issues are: -Customer service transfers you around many times because no one owns the issues with payroll with contractors. - Time drain - Normal issues have either taken multiple calls to resolve, or have taken hours on the phone because if an agent hangs up, they cannot continue to work on your issue - they have to take the next call - so they waste your time waiting while someone tries...

Excellent Software & Customer Service

I've switched from ADP to Quickbooks Payroll. I really enjoy having all of my businesses extremities implemented under one system. It's basically a one-size fits all. I am able to print my own payroll checks and vendor checks when I want and not have to wait for shipping. I enjoy having that flexibility. I also enjoy the fact that I can implement labor into my project management to see our profit/loss in real time. Excellent service overall.

Pros

Quickbooks online has made it incredibly easy for me to run and maintain my business from an administrative standpoint. I am able to manage my business from an iPad, which gives me the freedom that I need to move around. It is easy to use with an incredibly intuitive user interface. I can track payments, invoices, project management, etc. I will continue using this software.

Cons

I do not particularly like the Quickbooks mobile application. I've found that it lacks features or is harder to navigate than the online platform. I'm able to pull up the online platform from my iPad, which is the direction I tend to go when using Quickbooks from a mobile device. I wish the mobile application more closely resembled the online web platform.

Payroll Service for Small Offices

I have not had any problems with quickbooks payroll at all. I would recommend this service to other businesses. I also found them to be cheaper that the other payroll companies out in the market.

Pros

This software is very easy to use. Has all of the options we need for tracking deductions, types of pay, vacation accruals, 401K, flexplan deductions, etc. Online check stubs for the employees. They can just log on and get a copy of their paycheck. They automatically receive an email when the check is ready to review. Easy data entry. Quickbooks takes care of all of the Federal and state filing forms and payments. If you use Quickbooks for your business you can set it up to automatically transfer the payroll to your general ledger. Saves time and prevents errors.

Cons

If you don't start out using this software with your quickbooks when you first implement - you are not able to keep your payroll history. If you need to convert from one software to another - I would recommend doing it at the time of your physical year.

Customer Service

Quickbooks Payroll has been easy to use. We just recently started using Quickbooks for payroll. If I would have known how easy it was, I would have switched along time ago. I do not like change much, so if it works why switch. Quickbooks has been working well for our business.

Pros

The software is extremely user friendly. I love the simplicity of it. And When I have an issue chatting online instantly is amazing. Today I had an issue with our address since we moved our office and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was amazing. He was genuine in asking how my day was and very understanding and friendly. He took care of my issue and made sure it would not come up again.

Cons

In the 5 years that we have been with quickbooks there is really nothing bad I can say about the software. It has been great for our business.

QuickBooks Review

Personally I like quickbooks for the most part. My biggest issue is when I do call customer service for something I always get a different answer to the same question. It seems like most of the customer service reps don't actually know so they tell you what they think is right. It has been so frustrating that if [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] hadn't helped me I would have seriously considered another avenue...

Pros

The ability to run payroll efficiently, early and make edits before payday if need be. Also printing previous pay checks and payroll summary is very helpful

Cons

some of the reports are more complicated than they need to be and the credit card sync is not fluid. it creates too many duplicates when there is a business credit account with multiple cards on the same credit account.

QuickBooks Payroll Review

Good but the items above have to be corrected for us to be completely satisfied.

Pros

We use the Intuit Full Service payroll. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was very helpful the other day spending many ous on the phone with me in efforts to correct our issue.

Cons

There are two CONS I want to mention. Both of them do not have to do with the service [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] provided. 1 - it is very difficult to get a hold of a representative on the phone. We have desktop version of Quickbooks. The Intuit Full Service payroll advertises we should use a feature embedded in Quickbooks online to call speak to a representative. We do not have that option as we...

Customer Service

Overall it has been easy to use

Pros

Online customer service features/chat option and being able to integrate with QuickBooks software.

#CJM

It's very easy to use and support are easy to contact and are very helpful.

Pros

We use Tsheets as well to integrate with QB payroll and i find the process to be very easy. Processing payroll as well as the cut off times are easy and excellent for our business.

Cons

The reporting on payroll is not sufficient, for instance, being able to run customized reports has not been easy. It would also be great to be able to have a secondary payroll user that doesn't have access to all the accounting as well.

Affordable, full service payroll

As an Intuit ProAdvisor, full service payroll is an added value to the reselling of a discounted QuickBooks Online account. As an additional service to my retainer clients, I can process their payroll on any interval they choose, and I can handle any type of compensation arrangement they have with their employees. The best part is, it only takes a few minutes and I can do it all effortlessly through...

Pros

Cost is much less expensive than any payroll services company. Direct deposit payments, employee portals, Form W-2 and Form 1099-MISC filing, quarterly tax filing, electronic tax payments, direct deposit payments for independent contractors, powerful and customizable financial reporting, easy collection of Form W-9 information, reliable mobile app for process payroll from anywhere, support for multiple pay rates, benefits and withholding support, and more.

Cons

QuickBooks Payroll is available for both QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online accounts. With QuickBooks Online, you are dependent on the availability of an Internet connection at the time you wish to process payroll.

effortless book keeping

experience with payroll is really cool, the software actually calculate the holdings and make life easy for me, definitely a robo accountant that i don't have to pay a salary to. Over all experience : just love it and wish i had it from the beginning of my business. For new users, make use of support. Don't hesitate to call , ask questions , ask again if you have to they will walk you through it. Like i say be dumb and learn it . take the time to do so because the end result is amazing . knowing your finances is straight can save your life. aka....sleep well .

Pros

it keep track of your income and expenses by simply attaching your bank account. almost does your tax return. lol save a lot of time doing your data entry thus cost effective, no need for a special person to enter all your receipts etc keep correct info on all money related transaction and balance your check book , can keep your spending and saving on check. I can make adjustments by just looking at my balance sheet. almost cool for idiots to use. :) perfect

Cons

if i made a mistake and had to go hunting for the problem, but i can just call up support and let them know ( how stupid i was ) and they just fix it. so not really a con. for invoicing however , can take a little polishing up especially if i am doing an estimate and need to send it out, i must be extra cautious.

QuickBooks review

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was great; however, it took me over 30 minutes to get to him. Once I got to him, he was able to resolve my issue pretty quickly. He was very professional and knowledgeable.

Pros

Entering and sending payroll is very easy, generally.

Cons

It is difficult to access some information and not everything transferred over from our desktop version as it should have.

QuickBooks Review

Quickbooks will make a great choice for a small-medium size business as an introductory software for managing purchases, accounting, and financials.

Pros

Customizable reports Pricing controls feature Real-time financial tools and advanced tools to manage employees & payments.

Cons

Absence of vital reports outside accounting & finance. Lack of industry & business-specific features like tracking/e-commerce and tracking

Full service is great choice for small S-Corps

I am a cash flow designer for small businesses. I put structures in place to get them moving their money around their small business for useful reporting and cash flow predictability. Often they are transitioning to S-Corp status and needing to level up their approach to Payroll. I like Quickbooks full service payroll for this.

Pros

Weekly Payroll at no extra cost, which is great for my clients who are primarily small S-Corps not used to running payroll; I have to get that money into their account so they don't mix up their funds and spend out of their business accounts on their personal life. I also like how when there are issues, they walk me through how to fix them in the interface really well. As a non-expert on payroll, using it for only a few clients, this has been really excellent.

Cons

I wish it was easier to change bank accounts for the draw. Over time I move clients from single checking accounts to split accounts with operations expenses separated in certain ways; at some interval I tend to want to move the payroll draw to a new bank account. This is hard, in part because the settings inside payroll are housed in a weird interface that locks up in weird ways if you login from various accounts at the same time. Feels like old old old software suddenly, not modern Intuit stuff.

QB Payroll Review

Our company started with Quickbooks Payroll 5 years ago with 2 employees and we are still using them today with 25 employees. It is simple enough to use for a start up company, but has the features that are needed to comply with required regulations as the company grows.

Pros

I like that if I have made a mistake in payroll, I can call QB and it can be "fixed" before the money ever hits our employees' accounts. I also like having the ease of all the payroll summary reports when completing bank and legal documents that ask for payroll information, or creating budgets for the company.

Cons

While the software is great for the majority of payroll situations and the customer service is knowledgeable in most situations, if a more complicated situation arises with payroll, it may take a few calls to get the right person who will keep problem solving with you until the problem is completely resolved.