QuickBooks Payroll Reviews

User ratings

4.5

• Likelihood to recommend8.71/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

Using QBO for my business has been extremely helpful and easy to use. I have been very pleased with QuickBooks Payroll service since I started using the product and the cost is well worth it.
I enjoy the excellent customer service provided each time I have called in. Each representative is patient, kind and you can hear the smile on the other end of the phone.
Wonderful software especially for start-ups to set up payroll and ensure all proper taxes, commission, and more is done accurately and easily. Gives great confidence payroll is accurate.
My QB consultant warned me that Intuit payroll is screwing everything up and I should switch to ADP. But, no I did not listen and now they did the same mistake this year.
Some of the updates can be frustrating as well as the importing features (lost files, duplicate files, etc).
We went through hell last year, getting this resolved and their customer service sucks.

QuickBooks Payroll users...

+ 3

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

ADP Vantage HCM-logocaret

ADP Vantage HCM

How would you rate QuickBooks Payroll?

AW

Alissa W.

operations director

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Reliable and accurate

Transcript

Alissa: Hi, my name is Alissa and I'm operations director for a nonprofit. I give QuickBooks Payroll...

Payroll Made Simple

Transcript

Emily K.: My name is Emily. I'm an executive director of a local non-profit. I am reviewing QuickBooks...

Quickbooks Review

I love using Quickbooks and will continue to utilize its software.

Pros

what i liked most about Quickbooks is that i can easily track and organize transactions, manage and organize expenses from anywhere, quickly reconcile your accounts and gain control of your cash flow.

Cons

Theres nothing i disliked about the software.

Quickbooks Assisted Payroll - Great for small businesses

Overall, it's been great for our company. As mentioned above, their customer service needs some help. Other than that, their payroll service has helped a tremendously, in keeping track of everything needed to comply to State and Federal filing and tax deadlines. I would recommended it as a tool to help ease the work for your payroll person in the office.

Pros

I like the ease of the payroll service. We have a small number of employees, yet prior to QuickBooks, sometimes quarterly payroll taxes were mis-calculated. With QuickBooks Assisted Payroll, we do not ever have to worry about sending in payments, as they are done for us automatically. W-2 are no longer a headache either, they are don't quickly and generated seamlessly.

Cons

When we do have issues, customer service is not to par. They stopped service many of their payroll services and when you do, you do get switched around a lot and many seem to not know the basics of payroll. - I wouldn't recommend their services if you need step by step help on processing your company payroll.

Quickbooks Payroll

Very good, excellent. Super platform and I want to use more of the functions moving forward.

Pros

Started using Quickbooks not too long ago but I appreciate the automatic format of the platform. I can schedule and set payments and future payments for clients and people working with me. I like how efficient and accurate it is. It makes it very easy to download and get invoices as well. Everything is clean and easy to use for tax management.

Cons

I took me a little while to get going with the platform. It was easy but I feel like more tutiroal might have been a little better to start on the platform. Customer service really helped me though.

There are better payroll products out there even if your CPA insists on using Quickbooks

Pros

I like that it integrates into Quickbooks which the CPA insists we use for accounting.

Cons

3 times out of no where direct deposit would stop working, I could not process payroll except by check, and I would have to call Intuit and spend 1+ hours with some clueless tech support agent that couldn't use their own tools (Salesforce / force.com ) to upload a copy of my ID so a team that can't be contacted could verify my account, only to have to repeat this every 6 months. I got stuck having to fly home from vacation to manually runs checks once. Got hit with penalties for payroll tax not filled on time. I escalated my issue multiple times no once could give me answers (I suspect it was related to a name change that happened from when I bought it 5 years ago to when I got married) and eventually I switched to Rippling which does way more, and has excellent support.

QuickBooks Payroll a good choice for all but the smallest of small businesses

A reliable and accurate service providing pretty much everything the small business needs to generate a payroll and to remit taxes and tax filings in a timely basis. Good customer service. When new state taxes were introduced, it was sometimes difficult to get the calculation of taxes due correct and, in my case, QuickBooks was never able to successfully remit the Washington Family & Medical Leave tax.

Pros

A comprehensive online payroll service likely to meet the needs of most small businesses with good integration to other products and services sold by QuickBooks. Easy setup, good customer service. I liked being able to schedule so that payroll taxes were deducted from my corporate account close to the date the remittance was due to the taxing authority. Some payroll services deduct taxes from the bank account just after payroll is run, then hold it (presumably making interest on those funds) until the taxes are actually due. QuickBooks doesn't appear to do that.

Cons

A few too many steps are required to run a payroll with a few informational messages being displayed that I usually disregard (of the "are you sure you want to do that?" kind). Also, QuickBooks was never able to successfully report and remit certain of Washington's state taxes. QuickBooks' calculation of these taxes never quite matched the calculation made by the state taxing authority and correcting QuickBooks' record of what I actually paid was a bit complicated. Also, the price for this service is not competitive, compared to other services, for very small businesses.

A Good Payroll Option for Simple Payroll

Overall this is a great option for sole proprietors or very small companies that have a simple payroll requirement. There is not really any support for payroll which has employees performing work in multiple states. If your payroll is not very complicated, I would recommend giving Quickbooks Payroll a shot, however the more complex your payroll is, the more I would recommend looking elsewhere for a payroll option. It can be very convenient to use your accounting software to run payroll since there is no need for payroll entry since it is already in the system.

Pros

- Pretty good for simple payroll (hourly/salary employees in one state) - Simple to use - Easy to teach and implement with new clients

Cons

- Cumbersome implementation of complex payroll - Difficult to edit payroll and employee details aside from very basic aspects - "Not fantastic" customer support

QuickBooks Payroll Keeps Recordkeeping Simple

Overall, I really like QuickBooks Payroll. It makes payroll super simple and quick to do and also makes taking the required deductions out easy. It keeps track of all tax deductions which makes tax season W-2's a breeze to get through.

Pros

I like how straightforward and easy this software is to use. It has everything ready for you to just fill in the information for each employee and the software does the rest. It has made my life so much easier and has prevented any major frustrations.

Cons

I don't like how you cannot buy the software anymore and download. It is now a monthly service that has to be paid as you go along. The price has also gone up significantly.

Don't waste money on outside payroll services.

I absolutely love it and recommend it to all small business users. It is way more cost effective than outside payroll services like ADP and Paychecks.

Pros

I love Quickbooks Payroll. It is inexpensive, integrated with our bookkeeping software, and extremely user friendly.

Cons

The customer service can be a bit challenging.

Great Payroll Service

Pros

Easy to use . Quick and efficient, user friendly , and accurate

Cons

There are no cons that i can tell from using QB payroll

Helpful payroll software

Pros

I love that Quickbooks Payroll sends tax payments electronically whenever I have scheduled them.

Cons

Figuring out how to use the features took a little time, but once I learned the software, I really like it.

I'm a happy camper.

Very good to outstanding overall. The software itself is very good and keeps improving. Also, as the market leader, they have many local CPA's that integrates into the software as "local experts", so when I have a question I can typically ask my CPA firm and they can help, or whenever there has been a problem that they can't solve, they are able to contact support on my behalf. Overall the system works pretty well.

Pros

The payroll service is really easy overall. All the tasks that I use are quite simple to navigate around, including adding new employees, paying employees, and sending out payroll liability payments. These are what I do most often and they've been really simplified by Quickbooks. Other functions that I use are payroll deductions (401k, etc), tracking sick/vacation time, and managing direct deposit. Another feature I like (part of QB Online, not sure about Desktop), is that employees are emailed a link to join their payroll management website, where they can access payroll stubs, W2's etc. It has made managing a lot of the HR parts of hiring employees much more streamlined.

Cons

Not really a con, but I don't have any experience with any of the direct competitors, e.g. Freshbooks, Sage, Xero, etc., so I can't say if Quickbooks does anything better or worse than those others. But what I can say is that I did switch from Quickbooks Desktop to Quickbooks Online, which is a much better experience overall (although more expensive).

Quickbooks Online Payroll

The software continues to be very efficient and provides ease of use. However, the confidence I have in customer service is what makes me stick with this software and not look elsewhere for an alternative.

Pros

Ease of implementation and constant guidance available from customer service to resolve any issue. Also the ability to access and run payroll from any device that can reach the internet provides so much productivity.

Cons

The Elite payroll service seems so restrictive. I cannot access many of the settings or execute many of the functions that I could through the Core payroll service. To change these settings I need to go through customer service, which was very confusing and frustrating during the implementation of the payroll service.

The best payroll software I'm aware of

I use Quickbooks Payroll for multiple organizations to process all aspects of payroll. I have used it for employees in four different states. I've already mentioned how useful it is in automatically calculating and tracking everything. I also use it to prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for government tax agencies. I especially appreciate the ability to e-file several tax reports and e-pay some taxes as well. Each year I prepare and file employees' w-2s using Quickbooks Payroll, which makes the process fairly simple.

Pros

My favorite thing about Quickbooks payroll also happens to be the most important thing about it...it is accurate! The payroll tax rates and rules are always updated to maintain accuracy in a changing landscape. When processing payroll, everything is automatically calculated and tracked for accuracy - including annual salary, vacation and/or sick pay, holiday pay, withholding tax, and unemployment tax. I don't have to worry about manually calculating things, knowing when there are tax changes, or potentially making mistakes.

Cons

I most dislike how expensive Quickbooks Payroll is. I only use the Enhanced Payroll subscription that integrates with existing Quickbooks desktop software or Quickbooks online subscription. That means I do all of actual work in processing payroll and payroll taxes, rather than using a more full-service option. I think the (ever increasing) several hundred dollars per year it costs to have the subscription is unreasonable. (In addition there's a separate fee for each direct deposit check.) However, the truth is, I rely so much on the functions of Quickbooks payroll that I continue utilizing it despite the cost complaints. I haven't come across anything better so I feel I have no choice.

New to Quickbooks auto payroll

I'm very new to Quickbooks Payroll but my experience thus far has been nothing short of great. I have been using other Quickbooks products for many years though and I'm very satisfied with Quickbooks as a whole.

Pros

This software includes all the features I was looking for in one place and for a great price. My main concern as a business owner was ease of usage, accessibility and automation. This software met all these requirements and then some. The interface is very easy to navigate and user friendly and I can access everything whether I'm at home, office or on the go with their array of applications. Once everything is set up properly, there's no need to worry about it which is a huge time saver for me. I'm very busy as it is meeting clients, drafting proposals and doing the accounting, so anything I can automate reliably is of great help.

Cons

The actual set up of the payroll was a lengthy process and required to have a lot of information on hand but I wouldn't really consider this too much of a con since I had one of their amazing specialists helping me with every single step of the process. She did almost of all the work for me if I'm being honest, I just inputted data as instructed. She was very thorough and thought of concerns I didn't even think about. Just make sure you have ample time to get through the whole set up calmly.

If you are using contractors, QB online Premium is not a good solution

Overall good product, but frustrating for the segment that manages contractor payments.

Pros

pretty easy to use set up easily integrated in QuickBooks Online

Cons

Biggest issues are: -Customer service transfers you around many times because no one owns the issues with payroll with contractors. - Time drain - Normal issues have either taken multiple calls to resolve, or have taken hours on the phone because if an agent hangs up, they cannot continue to work on your issue - they have to take the next call - so they waste your time waiting while someone tries...

Excellent Software & Customer Service

I've switched from ADP to Quickbooks Payroll. I really enjoy having all of my businesses extremities implemented under one system. It's basically a one-size fits all. I am able to print my own payroll checks and vendor checks when I want and not have to wait for shipping. I enjoy having that flexibility. I also enjoy the fact that I can implement labor into my project management to see our profit/loss in real time. Excellent service overall.

Pros

Quickbooks online has made it incredibly easy for me to run and maintain my business from an administrative standpoint. I am able to manage my business from an iPad, which gives me the freedom that I need to move around. It is easy to use with an incredibly intuitive user interface. I can track payments, invoices, project management, etc. I will continue using this software.

Cons

I do not particularly like the Quickbooks mobile application. I've found that it lacks features or is harder to navigate than the online platform. I'm able to pull up the online platform from my iPad, which is the direction I tend to go when using Quickbooks from a mobile device. I wish the mobile application more closely resembled the online web platform.

Payroll Service for Small Offices

I have not had any problems with quickbooks payroll at all. I would recommend this service to other businesses. I also found them to be cheaper that the other payroll companies out in the market.

Pros

This software is very easy to use. Has all of the options we need for tracking deductions, types of pay, vacation accruals, 401K, flexplan deductions, etc. Online check stubs for the employees. They can just log on and get a copy of their paycheck. They automatically receive an email when the check is ready to review. Easy data entry. Quickbooks takes care of all of the Federal and state filing forms and payments. If you use Quickbooks for your business you can set it up to automatically transfer the payroll to your general ledger. Saves time and prevents errors.

Cons

If you don't start out using this software with your quickbooks when you first implement - you are not able to keep your payroll history. If you need to convert from one software to another - I would recommend doing it at the time of your physical year.

Customer Service

Quickbooks Payroll has been easy to use. We just recently started using Quickbooks for payroll. If I would have known how easy it was, I would have switched along time ago. I do not like change much, so if it works why switch. Quickbooks has been working well for our business.

Pros

The software is extremely user friendly. I love the simplicity of it. And When I have an issue chatting online instantly is amazing. Today I had an issue with our address since we moved our office and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was amazing. He was genuine in asking how my day was and very understanding and friendly. He took care of my issue and made sure it would not come up again.

Cons

In the 5 years that we have been with quickbooks there is really nothing bad I can say about the software. It has been great for our business.

QuickBooks Review

Personally I like quickbooks for the most part. My biggest issue is when I do call customer service for something I always get a different answer to the same question. It seems like most of the customer service reps don't actually know so they tell you what they think is right. It has been so frustrating that if [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] hadn't helped me I would have seriously considered another avenue...

Pros

The ability to run payroll efficiently, early and make edits before payday if need be. Also printing previous pay checks and payroll summary is very helpful

Cons

some of the reports are more complicated than they need to be and the credit card sync is not fluid. it creates too many duplicates when there is a business credit account with multiple cards on the same credit account.

QuickBooks Payroll Review

Good but the items above have to be corrected for us to be completely satisfied.

Pros

We use the Intuit Full Service payroll. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was very helpful the other day spending many ous on the phone with me in efforts to correct our issue.

Cons

There are two CONS I want to mention. Both of them do not have to do with the service [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] provided. 1 - it is very difficult to get a hold of a representative on the phone. We have desktop version of Quickbooks. The Intuit Full Service payroll advertises we should use a feature embedded in Quickbooks online to call speak to a representative. We do not have that option as we...

Customer Service

Overall it has been easy to use

Pros

Online customer service features/chat option and being able to integrate with QuickBooks software.

#CJM

It's very easy to use and support are easy to contact and are very helpful.

Pros

We use Tsheets as well to integrate with QB payroll and i find the process to be very easy. Processing payroll as well as the cut off times are easy and excellent for our business.

Cons

The reporting on payroll is not sufficient, for instance, being able to run customized reports has not been easy. It would also be great to be able to have a secondary payroll user that doesn't have access to all the accounting as well.

Affordable, full service payroll

As an Intuit ProAdvisor, full service payroll is an added value to the reselling of a discounted QuickBooks Online account. As an additional service to my retainer clients, I can process their payroll on any interval they choose, and I can handle any type of compensation arrangement they have with their employees. The best part is, it only takes a few minutes and I can do it all effortlessly through...

Pros

Cost is much less expensive than any payroll services company. Direct deposit payments, employee portals, Form W-2 and Form 1099-MISC filing, quarterly tax filing, electronic tax payments, direct deposit payments for independent contractors, powerful and customizable financial reporting, easy collection of Form W-9 information, reliable mobile app for process payroll from anywhere, support for multiple pay rates, benefits and withholding support, and more.

Cons

QuickBooks Payroll is available for both QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online accounts. With QuickBooks Online, you are dependent on the availability of an Internet connection at the time you wish to process payroll.

Works for our relatively straight forward needs

It's been good, and I would recommend it to other companies that have a similar use case to us (not a crazy amount of employees, and no complicated setup for payments)

Pros

I've had many people tell me that QuickBooks Payroll isn't a "true" or "real" payroll system, but I have yet to experience any major problems. Our use case is fairly simple / straight forward, and we have 10's of employees, not 100's. In this context it works very well, handles all the tax reporting almost automatically (there is a bit of manual work, but it's trivial) and basically allows us to manage this fairly simply as a small company with not tons of resources. It handles the direct deposit for our employees nicely as well.

Cons

This is more of an issue with any Quickbooks product, not just Payroll. The UI is not always super clear, and sometimes you have to go to weird places (from a navigation perspective) to find a particular function. Getting our annual forms for employees and the government is always a pain, because it's been a year since it was done last and it takes some time to find where you can do it in the software. The...

effortless book keeping

experience with payroll is really cool, the software actually calculate the holdings and make life easy for me, definitely a robo accountant that i don't have to pay a salary to. Over all experience : just love it and wish i had it from the beginning of my business. For new users, make use of support. Don't hesitate to call , ask questions , ask again if you have to they will walk you through it. Like i say be dumb and learn it . take the time to do so because the end result is amazing . knowing your finances is straight can save your life. aka....sleep well .

Pros

it keep track of your income and expenses by simply attaching your bank account. almost does your tax return. lol save a lot of time doing your data entry thus cost effective, no need for a special person to enter all your receipts etc keep correct info on all money related transaction and balance your check book , can keep your spending and saving on check. I can make adjustments by just looking at my balance sheet. almost cool for idiots to use. :) perfect

Cons

if i made a mistake and had to go hunting for the problem, but i can just call up support and let them know ( how stupid i was ) and they just fix it. so not really a con. for invoicing however , can take a little polishing up especially if i am doing an estimate and need to send it out, i must be extra cautious.