All categories
Neon CRM

Nonprofit CRM Software with Fundraising & Membership Tools

visit website

Neon CRM Reviews

Pros

They have some helpful dashboards that are great for quick tracking. The system is large and has some neat capabilities.

Megan B.

Great tools for managing donor system- love the automatic thank you emails, donation forms, database, reporting, etc. Also love the ease of use with Events and Campaigns.

Chriz D.

We moved from a large popular fundraising platform and we were excited about the abilities of Neon and how it would help us with donor stewardship.

Megan B.

Cons

Customer service was truly horrendous and ultimately drove us off the platform. Pretty unresponsive, no documentation, and then angry and aggressive when we complained.

It is not only the volunteer module that we struggle with. In general we have a more limited capacity for pulling reports.

Megan B.

Fundamentally we struggle daily with reporting and customer service.

Megan B.

Z2 System's NeonCRM - "Yes, it's right for you and your organization."

Almost 4 years ago, when I considered which contact/donor relations management software platforms I was going to use for the ministry, here are a few of the things I was looking for: 1. Expandability (Will the system grow with us as we need it to without paying for what we don't need?) 2. e-Commerce - Are the e-commerce functions user friendly? Are they secure? Does it have integrated merchant service...

Cons

Pretty good product, does most of what I need

I've been mostly happy with the product. My disappointment, thankfully, have been very minor, and I can happily recommend this for anyone needing the advancved options that i did.

Pros

I chose Neon CRM because it was the most comprehensive CRM solution that I encountered that did not also cost a fortune. I have very specific needs beyond basic donor management. I also needed event management and member management components. Almost no other products had all of these capabilities built in.

Cons

I haven't used some of the features because they aren't as good as what i am currently using, especially for social media, email newsletter, and donor letters. The software offers a LOT of features, which is not a downside, but it also takes some time to find out how everything works. Neon provides a lot of tutorials, however, which are usually spot on.

Daniel, we hear you! Thank you for the honest review and feedback. We know that email has been a pain point in the past, which is why we are uncovering some major updates on April 10, 2021. If you want to find out more about the updates to our email functionality, you can tune in to our webinar: https://neonone.com/resources/event/product-webinar-neon-crms-new-email-tools/

Great for a variety of data

Overall, this is a pretty robust software considering the price. I would recommend it to Non-profits on a tight budget just be prepared for some getting acquainted time.

Pros

All our data can be stored and pulled from one place. Event's are seamlessly connected to our website and make for an easy registration process. I like the idea of batch uploading because data entry can be time consuming but this hasn't been as successful as I'd hope yet. Still need to learn more.

Cons

It isn't as user friendly as some of the other softwares. We have to adapt it internally to meet our needs. I was not at the company when we purchased this software so not sure of the onboarding process. It has been hard to bring new employees on to learn the system.

Hi Bridgit! Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for Neon CRM. Training new team members to learn a CRM system can be difficult. That's why we've put together videos, guides, and a full Academy course, to take that training work off of your hands. You can access those materials here: https://support.neonone.com/neoncrm/s/. If you ever need some extra help, feel free to reach out to our support team. Thank you for being a Neon CRM client!

Good program, but reporting is less intuitive than I'd like.

Pros

The software has a lot of really useful features, like email blasts and the reports are really customizable.

Cons

The software isn't terribly intuitive, especially with reporting, and the training videos on YouTube are hours long. I also could not find the answers I needed in the help section when trying to customize reports. I learned more from the user forums than the actual help feature of the software.

Thanks so much for your review of NeonCRM, Holly! We are absolutely thrilled to be part of Happy Trails Farm Animal Sanctuary's mission in helping animals be rescued, rehabilitated, and/or adopted. We did want to take this opportunity to respond to your review personally and alongside Leigh's which is featured immediately below. :) In the age of simple apps on our phones and an increasing awareness...

Great Donor Management Software

Overall we are very happy to NeonCRM. My one and only concern is the customer support and account management seems to be lacking a bit. I get emails often regarding "changes" to our account that in face do not affect us because we are currently on a contract with NEON. With staff overturn you never know who your account manager is (I have worked with 5 account managers in a matter of 2 years. The software is great and we will continue to use it as we find that it is very helpful for what we are doing.

Pros

Coming from Blackbuad and Raiser's Edge, it was really important to find a software that was user friendly and easy to learn. NeonCRM is that software. You don't need a ton of training to navigate around the system and find what you are looking for.

Cons

Our hope was this software would be able to take the place of many of our others and put things in one place. Although it was able to do that for a majority we still hope to see an auction component to NeonCRM. This was one of the items that was discussed when we were looking at software and our rep mentioned Neon was working at an integration for this in the future and still waiting for it.

Hi Lauren! Thank you for your open and honest feedback. Regarding the auction component, we do have a certified integration with ClickBid. You can learn more about that integration here: https://neonone.com/partners/clickbid/.

Quite happy with Neon

I've had good support if and when I've needed it. The set up person was great. Like any platform, you learn it and get used to it and it's very helpful.

Pros

This software manages my contacts and communication just as I would expect it to. It's customizable for our needs, as well.

Cons

There are two frustrating things. First, when I want to send a mass email, I've been told that images (flyers) don't send well and it's true. That is virtually the only thing we send out so that does not make me happy. In other words, we had to keep our Constant Contact account. Secondly, searching by city should be MUCH easier. I've been taught two ways to do it but it entails way too many steps.

Erin, we hear you! We know that email has been a pain point in the past, which is why we are uncovering some major updates on April 10, 2021. If you want to find out more about the updates to our email functionality, you can tune in to our webinar: https://neonone.com/resources/event/product-webinar-neon-crms-new-email-tools/

Make Your Job Easier!!

So far, I have enjoyed the widgets and being able to see or not see what I am most concerned with at the time.

Pros

Neon provides the "one stop shop"! You have the back-end and the front-end operations working together. We went from using two different donor managements systems to using one to make sure that we can track all data. I also love the auto thank you's with the amount of the gift. Helps donors keep track for the year.

Cons

Neon is how can we say "plain", strictly business. There is to fancy eye catching fonts or highlighted buttons. Sometimes you can get lost and have to go to read up on some support documents in order to find what you are looking for.

Hi Princess! Thank you for your honest and thoughtful review. We take your feedback very seriously. We are bringing your feedback about in-product "highlighted buttons" and "eye-catching fonts" to our team.

It's OK - needs to be modernized

Pros

Neon has some powerful, fast database capabilities. We find it quick to respond when looking for records, generating reports, or soring data. It's also very capable at handling duplicate records and the searching is very good. It's also stable - seems to be built on a solid foundation and performs well.

Cons

Much of Neon seems to be cobbled together from older generations of development. There is a lack of consistency in the admin interfaces, and I find myself lost trying to do the simplest thing (like updating a system email) ... and I took a year of computer science as an undergrad. The emails are not responsive for mobile, and the custom web pages are nearly impossible to present to our members because...

Neon is unmatchable

It is a core component of our business at this point, which we use daily. It stores so much information and organizes it in an extremely accessible manner. The various functionalities are used by our non-profit organization every single day. It seems like every aspect is useful and functional. As an organization, we have been able to eliminate other competing premium softwares and instead use Neon.

Pros

The user interface is extremely intuitive and easy to learn. It's truly an all in one software that can do so much. It's integration with various other apps is seamless. We have so much data, and Neon can handle it all, and make it easy to understand, access, and analyze. Neon is honestly an essential must-have for any organization.

Cons

I think the campaign email marketing part can be somewhat confusing. The components seem too separate, it needs to be more cohesive in one big step-by-step process instead of going back and forth between the tab's sub-categories. It works perfectly, I just think the process to sending emails can be a little more streamlined.

Thank you for your honest and comprehensive review of Neon CRM, Sarah! We know that email has been a pain point in the past, which is why we are uncovering some major updates on April 10, 2021. If you want to find out more about the updates to our email functionality, you can tune in to our upcoming webinar (or watch the recording afterward): https://neonone.com/resources/event/product-webinar-neon-crms-new-email-tools/

Neon CRM is Great for our Mid-Level Nonprofit!

Overall our experience has been positive, and we would recommend Neon! It's a great way to organize our events and ticket sales, as well as track income from those same constituents and more. The volunteer projects and timesheets are seamless, so it's easy to tell how many volunteers have worked with the organization during the year and how many hours they've put in.

Pros

Neon has been great for our organization. It's easy to navigate and pull reports to track donations, memberships, event registrations, etc. This year we used ClickBid to organize our virtual fundraising gala and auction. The integration process between that and Neon was seamless.

Cons

There isn't a great way to set up monthly payments for annual membership plans. The grants module could be more helpful if there was a bit more automation. We don't use that function much as we've found it easier to stick to our own spreadsheets and calendars.

Hi Clarate! We are so happy to hear that Neon CRM helped you organize your events and ticket sales, as well as track income from those same constituents and more. We appreciate your honest feedback and will bring your voiced concerns back to our team, so we can continue to improve our products and support our clients.

Neon CRM: Robust and easy to use

Since we've been using Neon CRM, our overall fundraising has increased dramatically. At the end of the day, that is the name of the game for nonprofits, so it's really important. And, being able to see at a glance how we're doing in new donors, reactivated donors, etc. from the dashboards is very helpful.

Pros

Neon CRM replaced ETapestry for Lung Cancer Foundation of America. The ease of use in all aspects - donation tracking, fundraising campaign setup and monitoring, reporting, etc. are so much appreciated after working for so long without that ease. So, this makes our everyday tasks go much faster and we've been able to utilize the peer to peer and campaign features to be able to bring on new donors and track specific donation campaigns very easily. But, probably the very best feature is the training. Whenever we come up with some wacky question on "how can we do..." we set up a training session and they've always got a path to help us do whatever new thing we're trying.

Cons

I would like to have all database fields available no matter which type of report I'm trying to pull. Not sure if that is feasible or even advisable, but, sometimes I need info from a field that is available on a different report, but not on the type of report I need at that time.

Thank you for the review, Cindy! It is always our topmost priority for our products to increase overall fundraising for our clients, so we are beyond thrilled to hear you were able to do just that! We will also bring your feedback regarding database fields back to our support and product teams. Thank you!

Great System to Grow With

I have actually used Neon CRM in two very different nonprofits. One was previously using eTapestry and we switched because of the greater flexibility offered by Neon. That organization received much of its funding from individuals and was focused on one main program. The second was a transportation think tank that had no previous CRM system and received much of its funding through memberships. In both cases, I have found the system to work well and meet the needs of two very different organizations.

Pros

The interface is easy to use, very similar to comparable CRM systems in terms of flexibility and customization, but built for fundraising. The customization, in particular, is easy to understand and flexible enough to work for a variety of applications in a variety of nonprofits. I like the automation features as well, such as with donation appreciation and membership renewal reminders.

Cons

The single log on functionality and link with Wordpress needs to be further developed, I think. Sometimes the integrations with other systems, like MailChimp, are not as robust as I would like.

Hi Karen, Thank you for your review. We always love hearing how NeonCRM's versatility can help vastly different nonprofits! We are also glad to hear you are using the Wordpress single sign on plugin. We appreciate your feedback. We will be making improvements and enhancements to it regularly. Over the next year you can expect deeper enhancements to our existing integrations and many more great...

NeonCRM is just what we needed.

Pros

From the beginning, their customer service was outstanding. In our research phase to find a new CRM vendor, we contacted at least 1 dozen different companies. We provided the sales people with an extensive list that outlined the data that we collect, as well as our database needs. Some companies looked at the list and upfront said that they couldn't provide what we needed. Others never bothered to...

Cons

There are bits of functionality that other companies have that we would like. Such as the ability to tweet or make facebook posts, and track that information, from within the CRM, something that Nation Builder does really well. We would also like to be able to integrate silent and online auctions into fundraising efforts, but this is not something that can be done just yet. Finally, we would like to have our ecommerce products tied to their makers, something that NeonCRM can't do. However, they provided us with an API integration solution that will work in the meantime.

Neon, an elegant solution

Pros

I have had my NeonCRM system now for about four months, and what I love the most about it is probably its elegance. It's like the designers sat in my office, watched me work, and then designed a system that would not only take care of the many things I need when working with our donors, but also thought of a whole lot more! The system is very comprehensive, and while it is quite large and will take many more months to completely master, it is consistent. This consistency throughout makes it relatively easy to learn to work, even in the beginning.

Cons

The thing I have found the most frustrating is that I run a Mac, and this system is more compatible with PC. For instance, I could not run the tutorials on my Mac, so I had to haul out an old PC laptop for my training webinars. It worked out okay, as I could be working on the Mac in the program while watching the tutorial on the PC, but we Mac users get frustrated with these situations. Later, I learned that the internal mail merger program would not work on anything but Internet Explorer, which is unfortunately no longer available for Mac. It would have been nice if we could have at least had Firefox or Chrome, both very commonly used browsers, as an option. This is not a deal breaker for me, but for the price and quality of the system, I would have liked more compatibility.

Sheri, we really appreciate the kind words and positive review, but also thank you for the constructive feedback to make our processes better. We've heard you and other Mac users loud and clear in regards to accessing the recorded trainings. Where NeonCRM obviously works just fine on PCs and Macs, the webinar provider we work with only renders our recordings in a PC-compatible format. Due to this...

This reviewer only left a rating

If your experience is anything like mine was, you are currently struggling with outdated software. You are having to maintain multiple databases manually in order to do all the things that are standard operating procedures in these fast-paced days, and you are working on a shoestring budget with a great but stretched staff. For me, this is where Neon came in to help us. Is it perfect. No. Of course...

Cons

All 3 Things You Need it to Do - and More!

You want CRM software to do 3 things: 1. Safely store you data 2. Allow you to leverage your data 3. Allow you to interact with your organizations website Most systems do the first 2 - they better (!), NEON does the third one too and better than any other product in the industry. My only hope is they don't get bought by Blackbaud. I've done 15 or more conversions with many different product and have never been happier than with NEON. Feel free to drop me a line and I'll share more with you.

Pros

I won't comment on the other features NEON does that other systems do as well - or almost as well. Instead, I'll focus on the factors that set them apart from the other players on the market. FORMS! - how can any org look past the ability to survey their constituents via email and then have the responses post to the database? e.g. How did you hear about us? a - k / What most interests you about...

Cons

The reports function features a URL for a particular report (dynamic too). This is is fantastic! But many board members and volunteers need to be reminded to access the url and it would be great if NEON would schedule the delivery of reports on an ongoing basis rather than the user having to schedule the delivery of the reports. A small thing, but one less thing the user has to think about doing.

Thanks Mike! we appreciate your review! As for the ability to email reports out to board members, you can set up an account in NEON, create a recurring activity to have NEON email your board member with the dynamic report link on, for example, the first of the month every month. And as for the comment about the BBaud buyout, no chance. :) We're in this for the long haul to create the best cloud...

NeonCRM: A solid decade by need to move forward

We've been using NEON for over 10 years. It has been a solid, reliable performer. We have grown from $150k to over $1M in fundraising, and NEON has supported that growth (although it is not able to make mass changes to old data as we have better understand/refine how we track donations). Although NEON has incorporated some enhancements and improvements to the user experience recently, overall they have been slow to change, and customer support is not very responsive. Support for household roll-up (including family funds/DAV) has become critical to our organization, requiring us to seek other software solutions.

Pros

Solid basic constituent and donation management. Reliable - service is rarely down or unacceptably slow. Interface is relatively easy to use for anyone with good software sensibilities (a simpler view would be helpful for less techy BOD members).

Cons

Householding support with regards to donations roll-up is very poor. Reporting, while flexible and seemingly comprehensive, often requires export and external manipulation to get what we want. Organization is not responsive to customer requests - with popular suggestions in forum going unaddressed for years.

Hello Christine. We're happy to hear how much success your organization has had fundraising through Neon CRM over the past 10 years, but we're sad to see you go. Your feedback regarding how and why you're switching to another CRM is extremely insightful in helping us grow, and help us learn which features are most important to our customers. Thank you so much for leaving your review!

Veterans Miracle Center Erie Gets Squared Away Using NeonCRM

Pros

NeonCRM is very robust in its comprehensive capabilities to manage every aspect of fundraising, reporting, tracking, lead generation and just plain constituent management process. For Veterans Miracle Center Erie, the offerings of NeonCRM's full suite of modules was well-above our necessity at the time we implemented it, and at a cost that would make any non-profit cheer. The optional modules available...

Cons

Filtering data down to a very specific subset of constituents, donations and campaigns for further analysis is key to the non-profit world. NeonCRM is very powerful for drilling down to mine out the gold needed. However, if your organization does NOT purchase the conversion support and general support, a person who is tech-savvy and patient ought to be selected to carefully read the very thorough...

Basically, a good value for small nonprofits

Pros

Cons

The donor and members features did not work well together where it was not reporting member contributions as donor contributions (IRS allows member contributions to be tax deductible as long under $75). We now just use the members feature with zero value in order to be able to send them annual reminders (and mark their member contribution as a donation). Not working perfectly but it's what we do for now. Another piece that I do not like is the customer support is either hard to get or not timely in their responses. It often takes 48 hours or more for a response, and sometimes I have to remind them I am waiting for a response. The delay of response makes is so I forget to follow up on the issue that we were having. Very frustrating at times.

Hi Chriz! Thank you for your review. Please continue to reach out to our support team, so we can continue to help you to make Neon CRM work great for you! You can also find a variety of webinars, guides, and videos for Neon CRM here: https://support.neonone.com/neoncrm/s/.

Gets the job done

I used NeonCRM daily to manage memberships, events, and programming for a small nonprofit.

Pros

NeonCRM has a decent amount of tools for automating processes and you can store most of the information you'll need about members/clients. If you/your company don't want to do webdesign, they'll set up a website for you. Kind of a one-stop shop. The Neon forum has good information for finding workarounds when you have issues.

Cons

NeonCRM's branding is that they're building software for nonprofits since they come from a nonprofit background. Cool idea, but I'd rather use a CRM built by software engineers. There is no easy way to integrate Neon events with a calendar on a webpage. The default is a list of events in chronological order. If you have a lot of events, repeat events, or events with different categories or audiences,...

This reviewer only left a rating

We are an environmental educational nonprofit. We provide many educational events for our members and the public to learn how to identify and manage noxious weeds. We also provide educational publications. We made the decision to leave our other system after increase fees and what we felt was decreased interest in smaller nonprofits after they were purchased by another vendor. We also did not like...

Multi-platform CRM

Overall a great product and easy to learn. If you need a lot of very specific reporting, however, this may not be the one for you.

Pros

Seamlessly integrates event registration, social fundraising, online donations, volunteer scheduling, grant tracking and donor development all in one CRM.

Cons

Specific reports can be difficult to obtain. Trial and error to get the exact information you want. You also cannot create tickets for events-- registrants only receive email confirmations.

Hi Mandy, Thanks so much for your thoughtful feedback. We're happy to know you've been taking advantage of so many of the tools Neon offers! To address your concerns specifically, we completely understand that getting the right report results can be a trial-and-error process, which is why we try to offer a wide range of resources that deal with reporting. There's a wonderful article in our support...

Not particularly user friendly.

We benefit by being able to use the software to upgrade our database and access details swiftly. Connecting the events to our website has been especially useful, making our registration process much more efficient.

Pros

I primarily use the features for creating an event and registering participants. The ease of connecting each event with our website is especially important and this works well with Neon. Overall I do find that the software is overly complicated and difficult to edit. It stores a great deal of information, but the fields are excessive. I would prefer a software program that is simpler and more user friendly.

Cons

Editing is very difficult. Just one example is the form for accounts. We have spent many hours trying to tailor the fields to our organizations needs and still have not resolved this issue.

Hi Amy! Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for Neon CRM. We are happy to hear our product has helped you to access details swiftly and connect your events and website. We recommend reaching out to our support team to resolve your issue with customizing your fields to your organization's preference. You can fill out a ticket or find additional Neon CRM guides here: https://support.neonone.com/neoncrm/s/

A powerful system (perhaps more powerful than most small organizations need)

Overall, a great system which I'm glad we found. We tried a few others to manage our 3 levels of membership, and none of them lived up to the sales pitch. NeonCRM has so far.

Pros

It can do a lot in terms of membership: Allow new members to join, current and expired members to renew, membership discounts, etc. It's quite affordable, too, and the customer support seems solid so far.

Cons

Running reports can be difficult because there are so many possible data fields that a member can have. I've had considerable difficulty, for example, finding members who signed up--who didn't renew and weren't past members--between certain dates. It's probably just one or two fields in the report that I haven't included, but it's quite frustrating. And though the online help center has a lot of content,...

Hi Tristan, Thanks so much for your thoughtful feedback. We're honored to be your choice of CRM and glad to see you've been taking advantage of all the tools NeonCRM offers. We agree that reporting can be complex because, even though it's a simple process, there are a lot of options. You are absolutely right to utilize our online Knowledge Base and Support Center, and our Client Success team has...

Well worth it

I've used several different CRM programs and I find Neon CRM relatively easy to use and affordable. It is very capable of fulfilling the needs of our organization. I also appreciate how fast Neon customer service responds to questions.

Pros

Being able to pull the data easily for what I need when I run reports. And being able to individualize the main page so that I can instantly see donation increases in the campaigns that I'm interested in.

Cons

When first learning to use I would miss a donation when looking at an individual's record- if that donation had been added to their partner's account instead. To remedy this I linked the households together and now only check this page so I can make sure to see all the gifts made in one place. It would be helpful though to be able to add mailing list tags to entire households instead of only by the individual.

Hi Jessica! Thank you for the honest and thorough review. We hope we can continue to make Neon CRM "well worth it" for you! Please reach out to support or pro services at Neon One and we can discuss households in more depth with you and optimize the process even more with you. This team can help you find some resolutions to your "household issue."