Grasshopper Logo

Suggested alternatives

bitrix24
justcall
dialpad-sell

We really like Grasshopper. It is perfect for a small business if you need a good phone virtual system and if your employees work remotely this is perfect.
This system just amazes me with it's features that keep making my job so much easier. Our clients also fax us using this same toll free number and it is delivered right to my inbox; this is amazing.
It was the worst customer service experience I have ever had. So now I have switched to Ooma - should have do so long ago.
Our major problem has been that twice we have had our phone number mistaken for another company. Two times, two different companies about a year apart.
Sometimes calls are dropped or the app says that I have a voicemail or missed call, but my phone or my employee's phones never rang.

Blake S.

owner

Consumer Services, self-employed

It’s fine- not the golden ticket

Transcript

Blake: My name is Blake. I am a business owner. My rating of Grasshopper is four out of five. And click...

Julliana R.

Partner

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

FINALLY - I don't have to give clients my cellphone number

Transcript

Speaker 1: Hi, my name is Julie. I'm an attorney in a law practice, and I gave Grasshopper a rating of...

Maricela G.

Wholesale, 11-50 employees

Great Service!

Pros

Love that I can customize the greeting as seasons change. I automatically receive notification to my email with caller detail and voice message so I can review and reply as needed. Great to keep up with messages when you can't immediately pick up the phone!

Cons

I don't have any cons so far and we've used the service since 2015! We are a small company, it works for what we need it to.

JudyAnn L.

A clear, uncomplicated tool that works well for me

It is an economical, efficient system to use. The app with the little grasshopper face is memorable and cute.

Pros

I like having a transcription of a voice mail (even when it isn't really clear.) Logging in or out is simple to do. Texting is an added tool that is most helpful when people will read a text quicker than listen to a voice message.

Cons

The call logs are difficult to 'translate' when I need to see if a number has actually called us. The interface at the website for working with calls already in is not intuitive. About once a week, I must uninstall and reinstall the app on my phone to keep it working smooth. I know when the system won't let me answer a call, but keeps saying which numbers to press for certain actions, the time has come to refresh the installation.

April S.

Market Research, 11-50 employees

Would not recommend this

We used this to call our customers and text our customers. If they could get the glitches and kinks worked out, it would be a much better program. It was good to used for days when you have multiple calls per hour as it is hands free and you can just call from your computer. However, it is not one hundred percent reliable. The experience I had makes me not want to use it again, unless they were to fix everything so it functions like it should.

Pros

What I liked most about this software is that it provides a phone number and service that you can access using your laptop and headphones. It is easy to make calls from your computer, and you can send texts and check voice messages as well, and typed transcripts of those voice messages. It provides a professional looking phone system for your business and has a voicemail that is also seems professional and can be set up to transfer to employee's Grasshopper phone numbers or to roll over to their cell phones.

Cons

The problem with this software is that it is full of glitches. There were several times when Grasshopper sent the voice messages to the wrong phone numbers, the extensions got changed or were wrong, or the app just stopped working all together. It seemed like every week or two, we had to waste time calling in to customer service to get them to fix the problems. Also, you could not send mass texts...

Shawn B.

Retail, self-employed

Great value for the money!

I have been using Grasshopper for a while now. I got the service for my business for the price and convenience. I have the mobile app and make and receive all calls on my cell phone. I use it to receive faxes from wholesalers and customers. It has worked great for me the entire time I have been using it.

Pros

I loved that everything was virtual. I can make and receive calls right from my cell phone. I like that they offer toll free vanity numbers. I can receive faxes on the same number which is great and there are 3 extensions. I also like the price.

Cons

I really don’t have many dislikes. The main thing I don’t like is that you can’t send faxes. You also cannot transfer calls to a different extension on outbound calls.

David B.

Grasshopper has made it simple for me to run my business via phone no matter where i am

The software easily allows me to work remotely around the world

Pros

Grasshopper software is simple to use and as I travel international customers can always get a hold of me

Cons

Grasshopper has many great features, except you can receive but not send faxes. This would be helpful in the business sector since some people want to receive faxes and not just email or voice.

BS

Blake S.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

It’s fine- not the golden ticket

Responsive customer support, but not willing to take your issue back to the internal team to see if it’s a viable issue to warrant resolution.

Pros

Call blasting, business open/close hours, instant response, ability to customize voicemail messages.

Cons

Price is not the advertised $26. I pay $55 with the $10 call blasting add on. Lots of fees and the text messaging rarely works; I get an error message 50% of the time when sending messages or photos to customers. Big issue that they are not looking at fixing.

Robin C.

Grasshopper is everything I was looking for to manage my incoming phone calls. Love it!

Ease and flexibility are what attracted me to Grasshopper, the fact it is a great value for the money is just a bonus.

Pros

Grasshopper is very easy to use, there was no need to attend any training sessions that would take away time I don't have to lose. The fact I was able to set up everything myself in a very short amount of time was crucial to my decision; Grasshopper did not let me down. Additionally, the flexibility of the system makes it that much more appealing.

Cons

Honestly, there is nothing I dislike about the Grasshopper system. It gives me everything I was looking for in a virtual phone system to handle my incoming calls and messages.

John W.

No other system compares

Pros

Very cost effective, great features including mobile app, sound quality quality, and customer support

Cons

The British voice option needs a better accent. It would also be nice if there were more integrations with CRMs like Salesforce or HubSpot.

Thank for the review and for being a longtime customer of ours John!

Rob J.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

Best Phone System for Small Business

We're a small business and don't want to break the bank. When we shopped around, we found Grasshopper. There is a base cost plus a number of minutes per month you're allotted. Any additional minutes are billed at a set and reasonable rate. We love using it because we can customize the welcome message, create a phone tree, and add people as we grow. We automatically get copies of every voicemail left emailed to our inbox. There are literally more features than you need as a small business. Honestly, the best bang for your buck, hands down.

Pros

Ease of use (back of the house), Ease of setup, Best Value, See who's calling if logged in at time of call.

Cons

Not much. I haven't encountered a problem that either wasn't fixed immediately or that made any difference to how we do business.

Hi there, Thanks so much for the kind words! We're happy we can help you run your business more smoothly and grow with you. We look forward to working with you for years to come! - Mary Community Manager, Grasshopper

DENISE H.

This service makes it so easy to not only take calls, but to get texts.

I am able to run a text based wellness program for my clients, and the information does not come in via my personal phone line. It enables me to run that program from anywhere!

Pros

It's mobility. I can access it from my phone, laptop, anywhere. I love that I can receive texts and voicemails for my company and keep it all separate from my personal cell phone line.

Cons

The texting feature needs a major overhaul. There is no way to delete texts that are put into the "Done" category and very often incoming texts will automatically dump into the "Done" category before I can read them and move them myself.

MM

Marion M.

Printing, 1-10 employees

It works but nothing amazing

I use it as the main line for my business but it immediately filters into google voice numbers for each staff member. If Google provided that option, I would not need Grasshopper at all. That said, it works just fine and I have no complaints about the service. I don't mind that I pay for it.

Pros

Haven't experienced a single dropped call, so at the very minimum, it does that perfectly. It allows me to setup an easy phone switching system where callers can punch in the number of the person they want to speak to very easily.

Cons

Outside of the switchboard option, the features are few and far between. I have a Google Voice number that gives me everything else that I need from Grasshopper but is free.

BH

Barry H.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Great for small business

Grasshopper truly helps small business owners with an easy to start service, great options and an overall great quality product. Some features including text based voicemail, encrypted faxes, text messaging, multiple phone services, and more. I would highly recommend this product as a personal user and have enjoyed using this product for over a year.

Pros

Grasshopper easily allows you to set up an 800 number for small business usage. It synchronizes with any phone very easily and usually takes about 5-10 minutes to begin working. Customers can call, text or fax information to the same number as opposed to having separate extensions which makes it very convenient not only to customers but the client as well. When a person calls you can choose to answer, send to voicemail, and/or check to see who is calling. If you are looking for separate extensions or have multiple employees across the state or nation then Grasshopper can provide service for multiple extensions and you can set up employees with Grasshopper as opposed to providing a business phone.

Cons

The downside about Grasshopper that I have found is that when a client calls it will automatically pop up as the 800 number you selected. This makes it easy in terms of identifying if someone is calling the business but at the cost of not identifying the customer unless you use the "to see who's calling" option before answering. This is a small issue however and as a personal business owner myself, I deal with multiple clients and customers across the state with frequent new customers whose numbers I wouldn't recognize.

DM

David M.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Amazing software for the modern day office phone solution

Pros

Overall this product offers great and easy call routing to all users within our company. Not only has it saved on extremely high in-office phone costs it allows users to manage their calls from their cells/computers. The customer service is also fantastic. I once made mistake when adding and removing an employee, after calling in not only did they resolve the issue but they also fixed it without me having to do it myself. That shows me a high level of training that I respect. Teaching someone what to do, but also acknowledging there time is a high PRO in my books for this modern age.

Cons

The only cons were getting my office line released from our previous carrier. This took much longer than expected. Also, some of the online instructions were a bit vague. BUT if you called in they helped out great over the phone.

Furniture, 51-200 employees

Straightforward, simple, and cost-effective way to juggle and route multiple phone numbers for SMBs.

We use it to run a "website question" 1-800 phone number that routes to different stores and remote individuals at different times with multiple options for service.

Pros

It's extremely easy to use and very affordable. You can setup custom phone numbers and create routing between all kinds of phones. It gives the appearance of having a more sophisticated setup than you really do. You can setup holding music, routing rules, voicemail, multiple users, and more between office phone systems, personal cell phones, and everything in-between. You can set hours for each number and routing rules such as order, how many times to ring, and what numbers ring to which numbers.

Cons

The only thing I wish it could do that it doesn't is record calls, and that is a big downside to me. A nice to have feature might be being able to assign calls to specific users. Otherwise, it handles everything I need very well.

KT

Katherine T.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

Great to not have to carry Two Phones! And access to one phone line from multiple devices!

Overall, it's a great option for our business since we work remotely and it's incredible for us to be able to all access the same business line whenever needed. I do wish we had less errors than we have experienced though. Still the best option we have found though. Customer service is quick and helpful, but they haven't always been able to fix the issues I have had.

Pros

I was tired of carrying my personal phone and my business phone. Now I have access to both phone lines on one mobile device. Even better is I can access the business line from all of my devices! And even better than that is my business partner can also access the same business line from their mobile devices as well!

Cons

It has a lot of great features, but seems to have quite a few glitches as well. We have missing text messages on occasion and random errors like that.

RB

Ron B.

Recreational Facilities and Services, 1-10 employees

Easy to use, convenient, and best customer service I've ever experienced

Our main business line and my personal business line are both through Grasshopper, and all of our calls are handled easily and efficiently. Very satisfied with our VOIP, and have no desire to change anytime soon.

Pros

SIMPLE. It's an easy-to-use VOIP that has plenty of features that are helpful and very user-friendly. Voicemail transcripts and auto-text responses make it a breeze to deal with missed calls, and the mobile app is well-designed and functional. My entire staff uses it seamlessly. Their customer service is TOP NOTCH. Every time I call in, they are incredibly professional, knowledgeable and helpful. Response time is excellent. Quite possibly some of the best customer service I've experienced with a software company.

Cons

Only one minor gripe: the current feature for custom call scheduling is a bit dysfunctional, and requires manually setting hours. Would not be so bad, except when I have to do it for 5 employees, it can take a bit of time. A "save call schedule" feature would be extremely useful here, to then just apply to the others.

KR

Kendra R.

Consumer Services, 11-50 employees

Your office on the go! Answer anywhere!

Pretty good product overall. Would recommend for small businesses. Easy to keep track of and follow up on phone calls or messages. Could improve some functionality for offices with more than one extension number and easier communication between the two. Great for smaller call volume use and offices on the go.

Pros

Great option for small businesses. Easily forward calls from the office number to your cell phone... work on the go! Easy for multiple users on a business line, can leave notes on messages for others to see, and can get the messages via email. Great features! Love that you're not tied to the desk and the phone line.

Cons

Wish you could transfer calls from one line/user to another. Have to press 1 in order to accept a call, otherwise whenever multiple calls ring it it forwards to personal voicemail. Limited with regards to multi-person businesses or office numbers. Would be great if the software blocked spam calls or had a quick option to block numbers in the future. Should never go to anything personal... this should be an option not a default.

RE

Ryan E.

Warehousing, 11-50 employees

Small Business Phone Solution

Overall we have been using grasshopper for over 5 years and the cost savings over an ISP and internal phone system has been great for the company. Web view to setup users and extensions make setup and changes a breeze that anyone can do it.

Pros

As a small business employee with mostly working remote the ability to use our cell phone for work and keep the calls separated has been great. The voice announce feature when a call comes through so you know it is a business call verse personal is awesome.

Cons

None that I can think of at this time. That must be good.

VR

Vivian R.

Design, 11-50 employees

Grasshopper Business Phone service

Overall the system is easy to operate. Good quality sound and a great value!

Pros

Easy to set up system. Flexible, easy to use system and to forward calls and access voice mail. Simple for clients to navigate system to contact individual persons with in the company.

Cons

The function of forwarding calls to individuals cell phones is not as clear as it could be to the end user as the caller ID only comes through as the company name or the recipients name since the call originated to the company, then the individual. The system does not track the caller ID of the actual caller when the call is forwarded so you are answering blind.

KM

Kevin M.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Love it.

The price for establishing or transferring a toll free or local number is a bargain once you realize that you now have a switchboard that will route your calls to land lines or cell phones. You can create or use one of their professional voices (extra fee) to create you main message and amessage for each of the extensions that you establish. You can also receive and route incoming faxes. Call notifications can be directed to specific email addresses. You can also opt for voicemail transcription delivered via email. Extremely useful and time saving for a small business.

Pros

Value, flexibility, features, mobile app.

Cons

The setup is a little clunky, but the end result bid worth the learning curve.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Perfect for One Person

Only one of us is using it - and it works with only one person. it gets too complicated if you try and add a second person to the number. VERY CONFUSING SOFTWARE

Pros

I like how they transcribe voicemails and send them to your email. If I'm in a meeting and get a missed call and voicemail, I can just read the email and it will tell me what the caller said. I also like how you can manage the ring time.

Cons

The customer service is awful. They made me feel so dumb for not knowing how to setup a voicemail. Also, you have to prerecord or call into a number to record your voicemail, you can't do it on the app. It also is a pain because if someone calls you and you pick up, it is an automated person asking if you want to accept or decline... it just seems like a waste of time.

EA

Earlene A.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, self-employed

Grasshopper

My experience is very positive. I liked when they added text messaging. Easy to receive and distinguish calls. They also provided a toll free number and secondary local number.

Pros

Grasshopper is a software product that distinguishes your personal calls from your business call. I like that I can see customers so I may always accept their call.

Cons

I have extensions on my phone. Sometimes the customer will skip over my extension which is one for scheduling. My partner gets scheduling calls, it appears that the customers that the customers don’t listen to the greeting.

Thanks for the great review, Earlene! If your caller ever ends up at the wrong extension you can always transfer them back to the right one. Just press ## on the call and follow the steps to transfer a call.

AS

Aj S.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

VIOP Business Phone Review

Overall our experience has been good. Customer service is quick and helpful.

Pros

This not our first time using VOIP for our business line but Grasshopper overs a fair, competitive rate and one of the best Apps to complement the features of the software. It is very stable and unlike some other software, it has all the working features of the desktop version.

BC

Bill C.

Security and Investigations, 51-200 employees

It has been a wonderful experience using the service.

Ease of use and availability for the whole staff to work on it

Pros

We use multiple lines and numbers for our different clients to call in. We have to adjust the answering service portion frequently and we can do it with ease. We have to use a client hotline as well as the guest's hotline and we can manage them remotely while the dispatch team can also from an offsite location.

Cons

It would also be nice to have the dial by name directory set up with name prompts the same as the line extensions.

DA

Debra A.

Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees

Is your voicemail system buggy? Try Grasshopper

Positive. The best feature by far for us is the pro voice talent I can easily hire to record the business outgoing message.

Pros

We are a service business and spend time on client sites. We require a stable voicemail service to capture customer calls. Grasshopper does a nice job.

Cons

I’d like to pay for use by the number of calls they receive. Our business has cycles where it gets more calls at different times of the year