Mailgun Reviews

4.56/5 (75 reviews)

Daniel Naranjo

Setup and use anywhere any how even API or SMTP

Reviewed 2019-09-10

We use mailgun as transactional email services, their free tier fit with our basic usage.

Pros
API is very easy to integrated, SMTP alternative is a quick start to use in software that require SMTP protocol to send email.

Cons
Current dashboard is kind of complicated, sometime I could not find a setting or where I could set a adjustment.

Jon Prillwitz

Mailgun provides reliable email delivery and tracking software

Reviewed 2019-04-29

We use Mailgun to send emails from multiple domains through our ERP system. Mailgun as given us noticeable improvement to our email metrics and tracking. I would recommend Mailgun to others.

Pros
Our ERP system added integration with Mailgun several years ago and our ability to track and verify emails had been delivered significantly increased. We noticed an immediate increase in our email delivered confirmations. This is significant for us as we send our monthly account billing statements through email. If our emails aren't delivered, we don't get paid. Mailgun also provided much superior email tracking so we can identify which emails weren't delivered and find another way to get in contact with our customer.

Cons
Our biggest limitation with Mailgun is with our ERP system and how they only chose to provided limited support to the many features Mailgun offers.

Elliott Landsborough

Great solution for mail sending from vps providers like AWS

Reviewed 2019-07-18

We use mailgun for all of our email sending needs across multiple servers and products. We implement mailgun as the default mail sender for any new projects too.

Pros
Its api is very simple to use, most PHP frameworks come with mailgun integration out of the box - if they don't, mailgun supports standard smtp anyway. Great usage graphs and multiple regions to send from. Is makes it very easy to send emails from php applications which would normally be blacklisted if you use standard php mail from inside a VPS on e.g amazon/azure/vultr/digitalocean. Very generous free tier.

Cons
Their anti spam measures can sometimes not work - if your sending details have been compromised you can be hit with a pretty large bill before you realize someone has been sending hundreds of thousands of emails on your behalf.

Aaron Day

Almost a necessity with server configs and email filters!

Reviewed 2018-06-07

Mailgun ensures that emails sent from your site make it the destination email inbox and not the spam folder. Easy to use, free for the first 10,000 and has mail logs. All around, a great product!

Pros
Mailgun ensures that emails from your website actually make it to their destination. With their free tier covering the first 10,000 emails, it's a free solution to a prominent issue: emails getting stuck in email filters or not making it at all. Mailgun is easy to sign up for and easy to integrate into your site, especially if you are using WordPress. Absolutely love the mail logs too - that's come in quite handy on many an occasion.

Cons
As a web developer, I understand the need and value of Mailgun. It can be difficult for new users to understand this though.

Bruce Becker

Rock solid delivery

Reviewed 2019-02-03

Haven't had a complaint yet.

Pros
Configuring email is like conjuring drunk dragons with black magic: most of the time it only works so-so and any tiny mistake gets you burned. Mailgun has very good documentation on setting up your domain and configuring things so that your reputation is great and does not suffer. The REST API makes dealing with events a pleasure and the dashboard gives you great insight into where your mails are going to or coming from and why your audience is behaving the way it is.

Cons
There's not much not to like. The price is great (mostly free) and the documentation and reliability are 100%.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Anonymous

One of the best SMTP/API mail integration solutions

Reviewed 2018-06-14

10,000 free emails a month, easy to use API, easy to integrate and send emails reliably.

Pros
Mailgun offers 10,000 free emails a month, which is much higher than a lot of the competing services in this category. The web interface is clean and provides you with the information you need right on the landing page. Integrates easy with many services and plugins exist for many platforms (eg Wordpress). API is well documented.

Cons
While the Free tier of 10,000 emails a month is class leading, when you begin entering the paid tiers there are much cheaper alternatives available. Email validation service is pricey for what it is.

Gonzalo Bonini

Finally, emails reaching their destination.

Reviewed 2019-04-30

Overall great value for the free tier, 10.000 emails for free plus great deliverability and integration, great for Wordpress users.

Pros
When developing a custom PHP app or using Wordpress you often face the issue of your notifications and customer emails getting stuck or not passing the mails filters. This is a big issue, when for example you are sending out important information like an order confirmation or a ticket for your event and your users are not getting your emails or they are arriving into their SPAM folder. Mailgun has proved superb on improving email deliverability and their logs are super helpful as well, you can track what went wrong if anything. Their interface is easy to use and to the point. Moreover, their free tier gives you 10.000 emails for use, for free. Something great for companies doing product research, I found their API easy to use and easy to integrate with my projects, Wordpress being the easiest: a plugin + an API key/secret. Regarding Wordpress I found Mailgun the best amongst options tried for email deliverability.

Cons
Cost of the paid tiers is pricey if you compare with the alternatives. Everything in Mailgun goes through their API, so if you need a Full UI alongside the API this might not be the best choice.

Cuong Tran

The best SMTP provider I love most

Reviewed 2019-08-09

Mailgun worked for me seamlessly, no challenge and I'm happy to use it, even will buy their Pro Plan in the future.

Pros
I use Mailgun for my email marketing services and it works perfectly. Mailgun helped all my emails go straight to my prospectors' inbox instantly without any challenges. With 10.000 free emails/month is a super deal for small business. Besides, Mailgun is truly flexible for developers with Webhook Support, API support, SMTP user manager, Email Template Builder.

Cons
I hope Mailgun support Email Template Builder with Drag&Drop function that easier for me to create email templates for my workflow.

John McHugh

Love Mailgun!!!

Reviewed 2019-08-01

Allow me to remove the send-mail function away from the web-server, which can mean mail is affected (classed as SPAM) because of your website (HOSTING) IP address. Mailgun fixes this.

Pros
Like the fact that it helps your emails avoid Spam filters, which it achieves by ensuring the IP address(s) are clean.

Cons
When setting up the DNS (for the first time), if you have any conflicting records e.g. spf then this may / will prevent your account from being authenticated. A 5 min job can take 5 hours of waiting. Fortunately, Mailgun support is brilliant and can spot an error and offer a fix in seconds.

Brian Curtis

Great service with easy integration.

Reviewed 2019-09-05

First 10k emails through Mailgun are free, why not give it a try. Transactional outbound emails originating from Mailgun and are less likely to be blocked as spam.

Pros
Free options for small/startup businesses with reasonable prices for larger companies/projects. Mailing lists included. WordPress integration is quite simple with the Mailgun plugin. Once installed and configured, the WP plugin allows websites to send form email responses with relative ease. The mailing list feature is nice bonus. Management portal was updated recently and vastly improved the UI/UX experience.

Cons
Extended log access is only available in more expensive plans.

Reliable

Reviewed 2018-01-10

Pros
I'm using mailgun for transnational emails and I'm very happy I never encountered any problem, the interface is very good and simple, I like the fact we can setup multiple domains in the same account. All in all it's the best!

Cons
Mailgun didn't notify me when my account was suspended for a verification and in that time I lost many emails that may have resulted in contracts if they were delivered! You need to check you account regularly to make sure everything is OK!

Michael Homenok

Robust SMTP API for your sites, with no comprimises

Used occasionally for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2019-04-27

We use Mailgun alongside other services such as Mandrill and SendGrid, depending on our clients needs for their site/app.

Pros
Mailgun has a really easy to implement API (for devs) with a bunch of different languages support like curl, PHP, Java, etc. - Within minutes, we were running the PHP API on our app, and sending out transactional emails. Also good for devs: the extremely in-depth official docs provided by Mailgun. Along with case examples, and demos, you'll be ready to go, even if you're a bit less experienced with implementing an API of this sort. One of my favourite features is the email validation API, which easily integrates into your forms via jQuery, and uses the Mailgun API to validate email inputs as users type their email. We use it on all of our forms now!

Cons
It's worth noting that everything that operates through Mailgun is through API, unlike something like SendGrid which offers a full dashboard alongside their API. This may or may not be an issue for some people.

Héctor Aguilar

Need email notification support? This is the one

Reviewed 2018-11-04

Is easy to use, has great support and customer care is THE option for email notifications in your App/WebApp.

Pros
Easy to use! Supports integration with a lot of languages including PHP and Rails, we were able to use it in no time, They provide you with free mails monthly for when your startup is starting and is blazing fast, much better than connecting the app to a conventional email.

Cons
Nothing at all, hoping they can implement PWA notifications soon.

Ivan Collins

One of the best email marketing solutions price wise

Reviewed 2018-01-18

We send email marketing to our user base through Mailgun, monitor results, and save money when compared to other solutions that are more manual..

Pros
We use Mailgun to send to large email marketing lists because it's more affordable than many alternatives. The UX is pretty solid and the reporting tools are nice.

Cons
Sometimes there are things in the report that don't make sense like an open rate dropping considerably one day and then back to normal. We can't really tell what caused that. Also the open rate is lower than other tools that are not marketing based. So perhaps they're tagged as marketing server. Not sure there's any way around that and they take email server health seriously

Anonymous

Reliable base for emailing in a product

Reviewed 2019-09-03

Pros
We liked the simplicity and set it and forget it nature of the product. We never really ever had to go in and perform maintenance since when we first set up the service on our app a few years back.

Cons
We recently had an issue of emails not getting sent out that was due to a different service we had integrated with mailgun. Because of this issue, we had wondered if we were able to go back in the mailgun logs to see the old emails. Unfortunately, the logs only go back to about 2 months or so which meant we had just lost all the old data. It would have been nice if there was some option to perform automated backups of everything or automated exports after the 2 months period.

Cost Effective Email Solution

Reviewed 2018-12-19

Pros
1) Customer Support, through the inbuilt ticketing channel is very prompt and often resolves queries within the first attempt. Even if you're running the account primarily on free credits. 2) Seems to be reasonably priced if you need to send more than 10,000 emails a month

Cons
1) Delivery reports are saved for only 30 days, and doesn't have a CSV download option with delivery statuses. 2) Dedicated IP address is prohibitively expensive

Anonymous

good for Transactional email and more

Reviewed 2018-03-12

Pros
Mailgun's system is set up so well, and their SDKs for different languages are so complete, that these days I add a domain, add a Ruby gem, and my new Rails project has transnational email ready to go, highly deliverable, and I just don't worry about it after that. It just works.

Scott Bradford

Decent Transactional Email Service with Great Dashboard and Logs

Reviewed 2018-04-19

Pros
Easy to set up; attractive log and web dashboard UI that makes it easy to track and identify bounces and errors

Cons
Cost isn't as attractive as some other similar alternatives (i.e. SparkPost); customer support is sometimes hit and miss on the level of helpfulness/knowledgeably they provide

Harpaul Singh

Best SMTP API available

Reviewed 2018-06-06

Pros
Mail-gun lets you handle all you send any number of email using a simple rest API, who intgration is available in almost the leading technologies.Let Developers to focus to business logic, as it handles email part itself.

Cons
Never found any con till day, but once we had an issue, one of e-mail address which was deactivated for a small span of time, it stopped working with mail gun. that might be some kind of bug may be.

Anonymous

Excellent mail log makes tracking mail activity simple

Reviewed 2018-09-24

We run software that includes both manually sent as well as automated email. Inevitably, users will either not receive or claim that they did not receive an email. This quickly helps alleviate those issues and show proof of delivery with timestamp.

Pros
I don't have a ton to benchmark Mailgun against but it's made my job much easier when needing to track our outgoing email. At it's simplest, I can quickly search for failed email messages or confirm that email was sent and received along with the content of the email.

Cons
There may be a way to filter or create saved filters that I'm not aware of, but I've been restricted to searching either by an email address or by an event type (ie Accepted, Delivered, Rejected, etc.) I do sometimes have to search for a bit to find what I'm looking for.

Tóbiás Földvári

My transactional mail provider

Reviewed 2018-05-19

Pros
I have searched a cheap, but reliable transactional mail provider for my various products, finally found it, and use it with delight.

Cons
I would be fond of a service if I can make responsive newsletters from templates with this provider.

Minakshi Kainth

E-Mail API for your project

Reviewed 2018-09-18

Pros
Once you have connected your domain with mailgun, you will get mailgun secret key using which all your project and applications can send emails. It makes work a lot simpler and easy. Its client tools are available in all the leading technology platforms and integration is very easy.

Cons
Sometimes there can be some delay in receiving emails due to heavy loads on mailgun servers.

Florian Pfisterer

Great Email Service for Your Application Backend!

Reviewed 2017-08-11

Our entire backend runs all of its email communications through that service, its super reliable.

Pros
- easy to install and set up - great reliability - nice dashboard where you can check the details of every sent email - large free email volume plan!

Cons
Would be nice if it offered pre-designed email templates (created on their website) with CSS etc. which you could then call via the API with some custom values.

Easy to set up

Reviewed 2019-02-14

Pros
It's been easily customized for our applications. Bulk emails out to users with the ability to read responses. I've been happy with this product

Cons
None. It has served us well for all our purposes

Jack Fisher

Great Mail Server

Reviewed 2019-06-04

Pros
I like that I can see in realtime the status of emails, remove supressions and have everything logged in one place.

Cons
I like this server, there is not really anything I would change at this time.