Amicus Attorney Logo

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

filevine
smokeball

I am impressed that Amicus actually takes action on suggestions and has adopted user recommendations. This is a nice value add proposition.
I have had a very good experience with Amicus especially with integrated file/contact/case management.
I like that I can have all of my Clients and cases easily accessible.
Amiucs sold us their accounting software package representing that it would work. It does not work because of the constant disruption of the link with QuickBooks.
Customer Service is really awful. A government bureaucracy might be the only customer service department that is worse than Amicus.

Amicus Attorney

For the cost, it is a good program, and it allows all attorneys and paralegals to both communicate and keep track of the status of all cases.

Pros

this program is excellent for keeping track of cases, clients, court dates, to-do notices, escrow accounts & billing.

Cons

When closing elements of the program, one has to be careful not to inadvertently close the entire program on the user's computer. There is no warning that you are about to close the entire program on your computer. While the escrow (trust) account feature is good, it has limitations. It cannot interface with the bank, so auditing the account is a manual procedure. Also, the escrow function is limited to a case by case report. The program does not give the user an overview of the entire status of all escrows )in a separate report.

BS

Brad S.

Not happy with support- there is none!

Pros

Works well for what I need it to do. I can keep track of time and clients, it sends out reminders and helps me stay on top of what I am doing. Even though the program works, I am not happy with the service.

Cons

Company sold me on the 2016 small firm update, then cancelled the software a few months later and went to a cloud format only. I don't need that format and the company has stopped supporting the 2016 version. I have a problem I can't fix and they won't back up their product. They knew they were going to the cloud only, yet still sold me on an update I would not have support for. Now I am stuck with a program that I need assistance on, and no one will help. I feel abandoned by them. I bought the program because they worked with Apple, then they stopped doing that and forced me to buy a Parallels program just to keep using Amicus. If I had to do it all over again, I would not purchase Amicus. The support is terrible.

JE

Jackie E.

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Much more clunky than we had hoped. Large learning curve. Making do for now.

Pros

TIME & MATTER MANAGEMENT: Timers and time entries are pretty simple. Knowing all people involved in a matter all in one place; engineers, judges, etc. is a great feature. Adding emails to a file is a good idea but time-consuming. Having all the data for a client in one place is good. BILLING: I like that the Billing and Attorney sides are separate. Billing and accepting payments works quite well. Amicus can do split billing which is important to us. The interface with Quickbooks is quirky but after 1.7 years of working with it we've figured out most of the issues and found workarounds. Reports can be downloaded to Excel which is vital to my managing the firm.

Cons

CONS: The end-user learning curve is huge and not intuitive which has led to a lot of attorneys entering time and not using Amicus for anything else. Text onscreen is exceptionally small, and for most users, problematic. The interface is not intuitive and takes a lot of trial and error to find the best ways to find what you want or report on the issue. We were lead to believe that the document management...

RS

Raymond S.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

It's heavy duty integration of client information, calendaring, email retention.

I was able to keep my data from my old version of Amicus, but the new one is much more horsepower than I need for a solo practice.

Pros

Has the capacity to store and sort a ton of information. I like the calendaring, file integration, and ability to keep track of contacts. The ability to save emails to a particular file instead of trying to retrieve them from Outlook is very helpful.

Cons

It crashes too often. It was a bear to set up for a one-attorney shop. It's inconsistent in its own protocols. For example, it says we're supposed to assign one Client ID per client and use that ID for each file, but half the time, it says we can't use the client ID because it's already in use. It doesn't recognize client's email addresses on receipt, and when I go to link an email to a contact already on the list, it gives me a message saying that there are duplicate entries for the email. The same message says to use some sort of command to clean up duplicates, but for the life of me, I can't find where the function exists. The lack of any paper manual is very frustrating.

MR

Meredith R.

Efficient and effective

Easy billing, easy task and event addition with precedents, streamlining processes, effective & efficient if used correctly. The best feature is it allows me to have everything remain on my desktop and not in the cloud as I have a small practice that needs all the info protection it can get and not putting it on the net limits the opportunities for hacking. To me, it also allows more control over info flow to clients.

Pros

I am able to use precedents to ensure no missed billing opportunities from events or tasks associated therewith. The forms and "Do" buttons make it even easier to maximize return on effort.

Cons

Crashes more than I'd like. There are constantly phantom tasks that repeat with a category of "meeting" for the newly created duplicate tasks. I cannot seem to keep all tasks in Amicus synched with my tasks in Outlook when they should be complete duplicates of each other. It's frustrating, but suspect it has to do with the duplicate tasks.

Amicus Attorney PE: A Great Idea Whose Time Has Long Passed

We've use Amicus Attorney for over ten years. It originally had superior functionality, and it showed great promise for future development. Unfortunately, as time has moved forward, Amicus Attorney did not. For us, some of its modules, e.g., "Communications" have stopped working. I see I have "phone messages" but none are available to retrieve. There is no fix to my knowledge until perhaps a new update. Calendaring events, "To Do's" no longer provide useful information to staff because repeating events clog the calendar rather than showing a single even in a month. Even creating a file or a contact has become an inordinately difficult task.

Pros

It can handle "project codes" for clients so that work on performed on various matters can be billed in a single file but the fees and costs can be subtotaled by that matter. This is a rare among the software or cloud based apps that exist currently. Once it was set up (for an additional fee), it has worked well for many, many years.

Cons

The software! It is outdated and unmanageable. Modules inexplicably stop working. Syncing with Outlook is painful, when it works. Customer support (even though we have prepaid for it) is worthless. You only get return calls, days later. And the information is unhelpful. This required us to retain, at added cost. outside technical support.

MM

Martha M.

Amicus Attorney

We ended up switch because we found our company was not using everything offered by Amicus and the frustrations of the staff with it transferring information into QuickBooks.

Pros

Opening files in Amicus Attorney and keeping notes in a center location was a great feature to keep the files organized.

Cons

Amicus Attorney often found trouble transferring information to QuickBooks whether it was due to updates with Amicus or with QuickBooks. I also found the support often took days to return calls to help with an issue or sometime would not call back.

Dear Martha, Thank you for taking the time to review Amicus Attorney. We value your feedback as we're always striving to improve in every area. We're glad you found the file and note features useful, but are sorry to hear that your support experience was less than ideal. We take pride in the many integrations we offer, and will look into the QuickBooks sync. All the best, The team at AbacusNext

MS

Mark S.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

A wonderful program for client file management. Not great as a tool for sending bills.

Generally I like this program very much and customer support is stellar. But the mediocrity of the billing component prevents me from calling this a top notch program

Pros

The calendar, communication center, and file management modules are invaluable and much better than just using Outlook.

Cons

The billing feature is very cumbersome and is not easy to use. The billing templates are terrible and you must have extensive knowledge of Report Builder to modify the templates or to create new ones. I integrated Amicus with Timeslips before I switched to the billing component . Transferring billing information between Amicus and Timeslips was a problem because it would send data both ways every time I ran a sync and I would end up with the same timeslip as often as 10 times.

doesn't always think like I do (like a person thinks); can get really slow sometimes; complicated

ability to track what we do and calendar hearings ability to generate a bill that I can modify for the client

Pros

The software is highly organized. I know where all my main functions/features are and they're fairly easy to use and understand.

Cons

We don't use most of the higher functions of Amicus because they are so difficult to learn to work with and it costs a small fortune for training, not to mention the time it takes. We don't use documents or communications for this reason. Billing can be a pain if I want to break something down a different way. Reports are not easy to generate and don't seem to have the functionality I would like.

Amicus Software

I am a 9 year veteran of Amicus. I'v e had a couple of opportunities to switch to other platforms but have opted to stick with Amicus. It is a bit more expensive than other programs but I have found that its ease of use and integration make it worth it.

Pros

This software is easy to use and fully integrated with my office (electronic client files, documents, email, etc).

Cons

Some of the applications (which I have chosen not to use) are complicated and do not play well with outlook or Microsoft office.

MJ

Mark J.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

A great program getting better

Amicus has assisted me organize my practice for over 25 years. The integration with the Billing program, Quickbooks and the APX credit card payment acceptance program is a convenient timesaver, very much appreciated.

Pros

The program's visual layout, divided into files and calendar, is easy to understand, easy to use and easy to teach new users to use. The program allows people, events, and documents to be easily associated with files and integrates with Outlook so that emails with their attachment can be retained, tracked and reviewed.

Cons

The program's file tab includes an events tab which focus solely on the attorney and staff actions and events. No way exists to track the primary events in a litigation or transactional matter without being inundated with every timeslip and calender event on the case. As a result, the diamonds get lost in the overwhelming minutia and the events tab rarely gets used. Additionally, my firm's primary...

GB

Greg B.

Amicus is generally an ok product, but is lacking in several respects.

Pros

It allows the members of my office to act as wild ducks flying more or less in formation, i.e. it provides a common path for all of us to stay organized and communicate regarding information in our system.

Cons

I would switch to CLIO if I did not have so much data that would need to be replicated. (History creates inertia.)CLIO has so many good features and provides such good training I don't like Microsoft exchange and several features require Microsoft exchange. I don't like it that the process of exiting the software changed in the last upgrade - I have been using the software for 20+ years and suddenly...

MR

Margaret R.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Amicus for Small Law Firm

Cloud Amicus Online. Generally good. Customer support has been decent. Occasionally access is slow during particular times of day. This can be annoying if one is trying to upload/download large documents or use email during these delays. Would like to see maintenance schedules published so we would know when to anticipate delays. Would also like to pre-release information and a users' organization set up to provide feedback for new features and revisions to old ones.

Pros

Product is generally intuitive. Email, phone, task, calendaring, contact management, and document management, time keeping, expenses and billing are well integrated. New client portal is very usual.

Cons

Client portal features need to be expanded to allow cases (files) to have finer level of access control when multiple clients within a file require different levels and different document access. We would be more inclined to use document templates if we understood them better, in particular setting up logic driven variable paragraphs. Security controls relative to document folders need to be expanded to allow different levels of access for different levels of users. E.g. I should be able to delete and rename folders I create, but without admin privs, not delete/rename folders created by others. Would like to see editors incorporated into document management instead of requiring that these be done off line and then uploaded.

BP

Bruce P.

Used Amicus Attorney over 10 years

Pros

Have small 1-2 attorney firm, used Premium. Lots of features, many of which I haven't used due to learning curve and pace of daily practice. As I have integrated QuickBooks and Outlook I have found it more useful, but doing this was tricky and frustrating. It was recommended by WSBA Law Practice Management staff over using Outlook alone for case management. The phone notes feature has proved very helpful and wasn't really available in Outlook when I first invested in the software. Technical support, once paid for the subscription, has been very good and responsive. I like that they take remote control and help quickly to solve problems.

Cons

I have reconsidered whether to keep Amicus many times; but once invested in such software, there is a high price to switch products. It has improved over the years. I don't use the Tasks feature the way it is designed, because it involves too much data input. I have modified a system that seems to work well enough and involves less data input but still tracks upcoming deadlines and target dates.

AB

Anna B.

Legal Services, 11-50 employees

It's only as good as the users

Amicus Attorney is capable of being a one stop shop when it comes to case management, but your users have to be trainable properly and they actually have to use the program accordingly for this to be true.

Pros

Amicus Attorney is a very robust case management program with tons of beneficial features. It has the ability to streamline repetitive tasks and entries.

Cons

We deployed Amicus Attorney almost twenty (20) years ago. A lot has change over the years, some good, some bad. The decline in tech support has been the most unfavorable change.

JR

Jordan R.

Just OK

Meh

Pros

If you need technical support, there is none. As far as I can tell there are 2 people working at tech support and you can expect to wait months for an answer that doesn't solve the problem. we have had the same recurring problems with dropped emails for years and there is no solution in sight., we will be switching.

Cons

There is not way to distinguish calendar events like continued or settled items that I want to keep on the calendar but maybe change color or be greyed out. There is no way to alert team members that a file has exhausted their retainer so work is frequently done by a conscientious worker without realizing that we won't get paid for it.

SR

Sarah R.

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Was a good product before purchased by Abacus

We are just waiting out our contract to leave. The billing problem described above makes the program absolutely unusable.

Pros

The layout is attractive, and it has a lot of features and reports that are useful. It integrates fairly well with Quickbooks.

Cons

This was a good product before Abacus purchased it. Now they don't support it and it has terrible glitches they don't know how to fix that make it nearly unusable. Our billing software requires INDIVIDUAL printing for each bill now - hundreds of clients each month - taking up dozens of hours of staffing time to get bills out. Each month. They have offered no solutions. There are other issues, but that is the worst one. Also determining current balances is challenging, and the program messaging function is poor.

CU

Cynthia U.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Amicus Attorney Review

Pros

I like where you can see the expenses you have in a case. Also, you can charge a credit card payment to a client in Amicus.

Cons

It does not allow you to have some features that other leading legal software has right now on the market.

RM

Roger M.

Don't Practice law without Amicus Attorney

I have used Amicus Attorney for over 20 years in my small firm and could not practice without it. It saves time and help organize my to-do list. It also reminds me of appointments and work to be done. I could not handle the types and volume of work I do without Amicus Attorney's ability to call up cases and people quickly, preserve what was done and said and get it all billed immediately. Highly reocmmended.

Pros

I save time and money with Amicus Attorney. No more lost billing because the billing is done at the same time as I do the work, whether it is a phone call or drafting .

Cons

One feature you need to consider is whether Amicus Attorney will interface with your billing program because when it is time to bill all your need to do is send your time, already logged and organized, to your billing program further processing.

CH

Carly H.

Legal Services, 11-50 employees

I had a wonderful experience with one of the technical support representatives!

Pros

Following is my email to a technical support representative after another wonderful experience: I am still out of the office, but have been testing Amicus on that workstation with great success the past two days. I'm a bit baffled by the whole thing. I will share the only change to the machine since we last spoke I uninstalled the OEM Microsoft Office 365 Click-to-Run software that came installed w/the Dell PC. I had installed Office 2016 when it arrived, and configured to our MS account, appropriately. However, in my attempt to clean up any unnecessary applications, I removed that small component and voila!!! Thank you so very much for your diligence and professionalism! My experience in working with you has been superb!"

Cons

Although we have experienced some issues, the technical support team always assists in a timely manner.

st

sandra t.

Law Enforcement, 11-50 employees

Functionality

I have recently received great tech support and have resolved many problems that we have been experiencing. I'm looking forward to many more updates.

Pros

I like being able to capture all of my client information - I really like the upgrade drag and drop option for folders and documents. I like being able to print a summary for each file

Cons

We were told at purchase that we would be able to create the reports that we were needing to create at that time. This info turned out to not be true unless we added another software to create these reports, Amicus would not create on its own. I do not like that there was no support for our initial set up, and because of that I do not believe we are utilizing the software to its full potential.

AT

Amy T.

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

I don't use it as much as the paralegals in our office. I am the bookkeeper, so my usage is limited

files database

Pros

links to calendar and people easily, Sorts alphabetically and by matter number so you can easily find a file. I am the one along with another co-worker, who opens the original file. I like that it doesn't take long to set up a new file. I like how you can see many options, such as time spent, rate, AR, Trust, people associated etc.

Cons

not easy to fix mistakes, even as an administrator. Can't close some files and don't know why because it says user name and ID are already taken. Support isn't great. When we have tried to get an answer, can't get anyone on the line right away, no follow up except email, which is exactly the same as I looked up in help topics and didn't work

TK

Thomas K.

Thousands of contacts and thousands of files and all within reach

Pros

I've used the program for 15 - 20 years. Changes have sometimes been challenging but all has been for the better. Support has always been quality and faster access is making it even better.

Cons

There are always a few things that could be better on this program as on any other. I've just been working with the library and found that to be cumbersome. I'm not sure I understand the document saving - I save my Word documents and use File Explorer to manage the libraries I've set up there. I don't understand how coordinating these with or putting these into the Amicus Library is beneficial. It looks like putting them into Amicus doubles up my save process.

JN

James N.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Unreliable. Will shut your practice down one day per week.

It works great, on the rare occasions it actually works.

Pros

Program is easy to use. Has features fitted for its intended purpose. If it worked, I'd really like it

Cons

simply put, it doesn't work half of the time. If you want to spend billable hours watching the status bar spin, and spin, and spin, this is the program for you! If you enjoy sitting on hold for hours, waiting for support staff to answer, then finally tell you that there is a glitch in the system, but they'll have it up and running in no time, this is definitely the program you want. Conversely, if you want to work on a consistent basis with a program and works as hard as you do, better pass.

RR

Rick R.

Law Practice, self-employed

I've been using Amicus since Small Firm Edition, back in 2008 when I launched my practice.

Time Savings Consistency Ubiquity Organization Institutional Memory

Pros

Amicus makes it easy to keep all my information in one place, and to make that information accessible remotely through the portal, and through synchronization with my smart devices.

Cons

I was disappointed when the court rule support was dropped out a couple years ago, but I look forward to its return (in my state) in the near future. The court rules were, when I selected Amicus from a then-smaller pool of CMS candidates, the most distinguishing and beneficial feature to me, as I have a poor sense of time, and it relieved me of much worry about deadlines and due dates.