Little Green Light Logo

4.7

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.3/10

Reviews by rating

The price was the first great thing, but ease of use is another. You can easily teach yourself to be good at this platform vs more complicated ones.
The user interface on this product is terrible.
We've run into a couple of relatively minor problems.

Will K.

Executive Director

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Simple And Effective Software For Our Small-Midsize NonProfit

Transcript

Will: Hello, my name is Will. I'm an executive director in the non-profit industry. I give Little Green...

Ellie B.

Senior Grants Manager

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

The user interface on this product is terrible

Transcript

Ellie B: My name is Ellie. I am the Director of Development and Operations. I give Little Green Light,...

Jeri S.

Great Solution for Small Non Profits

It's made keep track of and mailing donation receipts a million times easier and has proven to be a good alternative.

Pros

Very Nice Interface and a simple system for entering and searching donor records. Designed with non profits in mind.

Cons

Multi-item donations are annoying to input due to a single line field for donated goods.

SN

Sarah N.

Our Perfect Solution

Coming from Blackbaud's Raiser's Edge ridiculously expensive and overly complicated system, every single thing about LGL is a breath of fresh air and a joy to use. From working with our consultant on data migration to every day use, it's intuitive and simple to use. I'm still learning new and impressive functionality and am pleasantly surprised every time. Updates that are rolled out actually fix issues or improve functionality ( they listen to their users!). Customer service is email only, but usually quick and very helpful. The Facebook community is a nice addition as well - sometimes I can get answers there without needing to contact support. I only wish we had made the switch sooner - would have saved our organization tens of thousands of dollars and myself so much frustration.

Pros

1. The price absolutely cannot be beat, especially compared to Blackbaud. 2. It's just so simple to use. Intuitive, quick, and easy, yet still packed full of useful features.

Cons

Initially, what I liked least was that there was no live phone or chat support; email only. But, the longer I use LGL and see how little I need support, the more I don't mind it at all. Plus email support usually replies quickly and has the solution I need.

EN

Evelyn N.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Excellent online database management system

I have many years experience with BlackBaud, Sage, Act and other donor management systems and after test driving a few decided on LGL within a few days. Easy to use, lots of customization options and a great knowledge base to help me learn (or remember!) new things I can do with the system.

Pros

LGL was easy to learn and set up. I love the customization options as well.

Cons

There are a few suggestions I have shared with LGL team about improving the software, most recently having a dietary restrictions field in the constituent record that will automatically transfer to the event record.

EW

Emily W.

Used other for 2+ years

Quickly Outgrew LGL

Our organization moved from Excel to Little Green Light and we used LGL for several years. However, we quickly outgrew it. It was ok in the beginning when we weren't generating a lot of income and didn't need to run many reports. However, the more we grew, the more LGL did not work for us and we ended up switching to something else.

Pros

Inexpensive, good for small organizations who are just starting out

Cons

Reporting was not intuitive or easy to use. Lacks fundraising and email marketing capabilities that come with other competitors.

Benjamin W.

Best Donor Management Around, Overwhelming for Beginners

Pros

There is some learning curve when you first get started but overall LGL is an excellent tool for tracking your donors and keeping tabs on their journey through your program or nonprofit donor development funnel. There's no better way to track the appeals you send to who, phone conversations and letters that go out. The API and integration capabilities are satisfactory enough making it easy to pull data from whatever source you need. If you're looking to segment your donors like a pro, set alerts so you never forget to reach out and keep them organized, LGL is for you.

Cons

LGL Forms has always been very basic and sometimes kind of a mess to set up the form and have it look nice. You're not going to get anything beautiful here. But LGL's forms tool gets the job done if you need to take a quick informal survey among your donors or something like that.

Perfect for Small Orgs

Great experience. We moved from tracking gifts on a Google Sheet, where you couldn't easily see a donor's big picture commitment to the organization.

Pros

I self-taught myself LGL, and to me that says a lot about the software. It's really easy to use, and the integration to Constant Contact is a big help to us. I also love the bulk edit option, because as I learned more about the software, I decided to change how I coded some gifts. The bulk edit option made it really easy to change those gifts.

Cons

I wish that there was a field for gift fees, versus inferring the fee from the difference between the gift amount and the deposited amount. I also would like a fee for deposit amount, because sometimes I make multiple deposits on the same day. But ultimately, these would be "nice to haves".

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Reining in data & targeting communications

A great and fairly first step from the world of excel spreadsheets to track donor data to this - so glad we took this step.

Pros

Comprehensive, able to track data, segment our members and donors, and communicate with each segment appropriately.

Cons

I wish I had more time to enter the level of information for each constituent and use it to its full potential as a development product.

Justin H.

Environmental Services, 1-10 employees

A good product, just not excellent at any one thing

Overall, it was an ok experience. We would have dealt with some of the idiosyncrasies if we didn't find another alternative that matched our organization better. I have friends in the industry who swear by LGL.

Pros

I liked the dashboard that included all of the financial details immediately when you log in.

Cons

I didn't like that memberships were so complex in inputting. We have volunteers who couldn't figure out how to manage the system without confusion. We ended up having some data entered in different ways and our database got mixed up.

MF

Monica F.

LGL - Great Tool for Non-profits

Very easy and meets our needs.

Pros

Easy to use and meets almost all our needs.

Cons

Would like it more if it integrated with our donation page instead of entering donations one by one.

BR

Beth R.

Museums and Institutions, 1-10 employees

Good investment

The trial was easy to setup. Our IT person did the bulk import of data from our spreadsheet system, and most things went pretty smoothly. After the trial we went straight into loading our live data.

Pros

LGL encompasses the most important functions needed to manage musuem members and donors, and also has the ability to customize the product to make minor modifications to match our needs. Customer support has been of great help pointing me in the direction for what I need to do to make changes suitable for our organization.

Cons

Haven't found anything to irritating yet, but I'm not a poweruser either.

ST

Suzanne T.

Environmental Services, 1-10 employees

The best Donor Management option for small non-profits

Overall, my experience with Little Green Light has been enormously positive and I would highly recommend this product!

Pros

Little Green Light is so easy to use and relatively inexpensive. Our small non-profit has been using LGL for almost 5 years, and we continue to be impressed by how adaptable and customizable it is, and the excellence of the customer service!

Cons

I think there could be improvements with the management of recurring donors - specifically, I'd like to be able to set up an automatic monthly gift entry so I don't have to enter the same info every month. Because we are a watershed council, I would also love if there was a way to connect LGL to mapping software so we can have a way to visualize where our participating and non-participating landowners are located.

JJ

Jocelyn J.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

LLGL - Love Little Green Light!

The knowledge base for LGL is one of the best I've ever used. It's comprehensive and the search function is well-designed. Anything I can't find in the knowledge base I reach out and your absolutely excellent customer service has been responsive and quick. They really know their product and features and you can tell, because you always get the answer you needed.

Pros

The search function for constituents is excellent. The PayPal integration, the reporting, the knowledge base - all of this is very helpful. I also appreciate your newsletters - I am still learning non-profit donor management and I always find something of interest.

Cons

I'd like integration with Stripe for payment platforms. I also think I'd like an easier way to take notes or keep notes about donors. Right now there is just a large blank text box for "Background Info"... if I want to note phone calls or conversations, or updates about this person it all goes into one box. Might be nice to have a feature that's like a chat update or a post that keeps track of these for you.

Wesley G.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Best affordable donor management software (and better than many more expensive options)

LGL has made my work much easier (they all promise that you'll spend less time in administration and more time raising money, and in this case that is the truth). LGL has also helped involve more of our staff and volunteers in the fundraising process.

Pros

This software is the perfect price for a small or mid-sized nonprofit both in terms of the subscription fee and the transaction fees on their donation form system, LGL Forms. They offer unlimited users, which can be given access appropriate to their role (for example, a volunteer manager can use LGL and only see constituents who are volunteers). While the program may lack some of the automation more...

Cons

There are some things that LGL doesn't do yet, or doesn't do as well as I would like. Depending on the payment processor you use (LGL forms only pairs with Stripe, PayPal, and ProPay) it lacks options for accepting ACH payments. There are some limitations in membership and volunteer management, and I would bypass LGL completely with a different software solution if those were major parts of our development operations.

Computer & Network Security, self-employed

LGL for Membership Tracking

I can't say enough good things about LGL support. All the questions and problems I have had have been dealt with via their knowledge base, online training documentation and videos and their periodic online group training sessions. Anything that needed a support person to get involved was handled above and beyond my expectations. Any support request I submitted was responded to within an hour or so and if it had to be escalated for next level assistance it would never be more than a day for a response and resolution. The excellent support is not something I'm used to finding when dealing with vendors online these days, so kudos to LGL.

Pros

Although LGL is promoted primarily as a donor database, it has built in features to manage memberships. We have been using it some 4+ years to manage the members for a very large Garden Club (300+ Active members and another 200+ guests/donors). As the main person that evaluated and converted their membership tracking, which was done on spreadsheets, to LGL, I found it to be perfect for what we needed....

Cons

I can't say there is much of anything that is missing in LGL functionality for what we have requirements for. Over the years the few things we needed were eventually added throughout LGL's ongoing enhancements. Although LGL has some level of user access controls (Admin, Fundraiser, Volunteer, Gift Entry) I would like to see them add Read Only access.

CB

Carlene B.

Civic & Social Organization, 201-500 employees

Low Cost Effective Donor Management Solution

I'm able to clean up a database that had become a hideous mess in GiftWorks Cloud. I'm able to identify and easily clear duplicate donors and duplicate gifts. (I've removed about 300 duplicate constituents so far … roughly 8% of my total database … about 100 more to go)

Pros

It's super easy to learn and use. Everything you need is built in -- the dashboard that keeps you focused on what you have (or haven't) recently raised against your goals, the basic reports (which can be customized). Donor record entry includes US mailing address verification -- yay! LGL is also clear about what it does and doesn't do. So it doesn't claim to link directly with a peer-to-peer product -- and it's also not messing up my database by uploading a duplicate entry for every single person who registers in the peer-to-peer product (which has a different default name protocol).

Cons

So far, I don't have any complaints. I'm already using features I didn't expect to (emailing directly through the system, which allows the Contact to be automatically logged in the Constituent record). I suppose LGL could be prettier. But given the choice between pretty and functional, I'll take a product that works any day.

ED

Erin D.

Fund-Raising, 11-50 employees

Perfect for small to mid size shops

My overall experience has been pretty seamless. Everyone is helpful and friendly when you contact them and it is very reasonable priced!

Pros

I implemented LGL at my previous school and inherited it at my current one after having recommended it to my predecessor. We have about 10,000 living alumni and it's the perfect software for small to mid size shops. The reporting isn't always as sophisticated as some others I've used in higher ed shops but it get the job done. And it has more features than one realizes so like any software you need to make sure you're utilizing them all as best you can. I used a recommended consultant when setting the system up and she was VERY helpful and talking through the implementation specific to my organization. I highly recommend investing in that service to get you off on the right foot.

Cons

Reporting isn't my strong suit, so I'm not sure if it's me or LGL but either way I think that area has the room for continued improvement, which is the nature of reporting anyways. And it still gets the job done right now. It's not bad at all!

RC

Rachel C.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

A great CRM platform for nonprofits

We used to have our constituents' contact info, contact report info, and giving data scattered across a motley collection of manually- and inconsistently-updated platforms, and none of it was integrated with Constant Contact or our email. It was extremely difficult to search for constituents or financial gifts or tag them in any useful way. All truly meaningful information was stored in our team members'...

Pros

Its customizability; its absolutely top-notch and responsive customer support; its rich metadata and extensive set of features; its powerful import engine; its flexible report functionality; its integration with automated acknowledgement emails, Constant Contact, and webforms / online payment processing; its great support for task management and communication between team members; and the fact that we can download a comprehensive export of all its data at any time, which makes keeping backups easy.

Cons

Navigating through all of its complexity can sometimes be confusing and intimidating at first, until you learn its workflows; search is fragmented—you can't just search and get all records that might match: you have to search in one place to find constituents and search in a second place to find financial data and search in a third place to find activity data; the inability to hide UI elements for features we're not making use of; not quite as much roles & permissions flexibility as we'd like.

TD

Teresa D.

Individual & Family Services, 11-50 employees

Satisifed Customer

We are now able to effectively track: -Donor history -Donor relationships -Send auto-acknowledgments The entire dev team can now work from the same set of data--increasing our transparency with each and improve succession of responsibilities.

Pros

Has all needed functionality--especially relationship creation--for an absolutely affordable price.

Cons

Layout, aesthetics. In particular, the categories section of the constituent profile record is difficult on the eyes.

HC

Helen C.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

LGL has taken us to a new level of operational maturity.

We took twenty years worth of excel spreadsheets with the names of donors, prospects, event invitees and attendees and consolidated them all into LGL. At long last we have a robust and dynamic system that has helped us learn more about our donorbase and their giving trends. This has been invaluable for our current fundraising efforts and future projections. Not to mention the time we have saved managing our donors and development efforts.

Pros

For a small non-profit, affordability and ease of use are critical requirements and LGL offers both + more features than we could have ever hoped for. I knew from the first moment, after using the Flex Importer to upload a list of donors from a cumbersome old Excell SS, that LGL would forever change the way we organize, track and communicate with our donor base. The ability to easily enter constituents...

Cons

LGL offers so much more than any comparable program that I am just grateful to have you around! Cannot think of anything that I dislike about a company that is offering such a fantastic service to the non profit community.

SP

Sarah P.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

GREAT donor database with top-shelf features for small budgets

I've been a fundraiser for 25+ years, primarily with very large organizations (raising $100 million+ annually), and had an opportunity to use a range of nonprofit databases, including home-grown systems and some of the best-known products from large companies. I've been through database conversions on large scales (50+ users, 25,000+ records), and advocated for and managed budgets as a member of the management team. I chose Little Green Light (LGL) after researching options for a small nonprofit where I'm the executive director. (5000 records, 3-5 database users, $350k annual budget)

Pros

As a fundraiser, it's intuitive and has all the features I appreciate and need to support my moves management work. As the database administrator, chief data entry staffer, list- and report-creator and website integration specialist, it's intuitive with great customer service and on-line resources to allow me to meet our organization's needs. Given the opportunity, I would have selected LGL for my previous organizations. It's got all of the meaningful and useful features to support fundraising and data management needs without requiring us to pay for bells and whistles that sound great to upper management (and those who aren't on the front-lines for fundraising) but keep the majority of users from being able to take full advantage of the system.

Cons

There are a lot of great integrations, but since we don't use the bulk emailing products supported by LGL, we've had to try to create our own. We LOVE the ability to create web forms that integrate with LGL and the ease of adding them to our website, although sometimes figuring out exactly how to map the data is beyond us without a fair amount of trial and error. On the other hand, these are tasks...

Aleena R.

Ease

Of all the software I use daily for my work, LGL is the one that consistently makes my job easier.

Pros

This product is incredibly easy to use. If and when I do come across issues or questions with the software, even my specific use (or misuse) of it, the LGL Help resources can usually direct me to a solution. If I can't find help there, the LGL support team always has a solution for me in a timely manner.

Cons

I thought that it was difficult to begin using the software, importing constituent data, etc. but that was simply because I hadn't ever used CRM before and was completely new to the system.

LB

Laurie B.

Primary/Secondary Education, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Little Green Light has been great

I and the board appreciate the various reports that can be easily generated. Because of the pandemic, we haven't been using it as much as we expected, but I still appreciate LGL: it's ease of use, clear Knowledge Base articles with easy to understand examples, and the additional support of being able to email someone. The flexibility is also great, so we truly feel we can make it as we want it rather than having to fit what we want to what the software can do.

Pros

I evaluated multiple products and highly recommended Little Green Light to my organization. It had the functionality we needed and, even though I was new to donor management software, I found it intuitive to use. Almost everything I've been able to figure out how to do on my own. A few times, I've had to use the Knowledge Base, which I've found to be very helpful. The very few times I couldn't find...

Cons

I initially had trouble with creating a mailing because I misunderstood that a screen was a sample screen and should not be changing even though I made changes. When I used the mailer to send a test message to board members, the feedback I received was that the email address made the message appear to be spam so they didn't read it. That was over a year ago, so the system may have changed. We're a small organization and haven't needed to send emails during the pandemic.

HS

Haggit S.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Super easy to use and friendly database

Pros

I LOVE that the are multiple ways to get to the pages with the information that I need. I LOVE that it is super easy to use and easy to adjust to my needs. I LOVE that I could import all the data by myself with no need for an external developer. I LOVE that I could undo most of my changes (if I make mistakes or change my mind about the way to store my data.

Cons

I don't like that there isn't a customer service phone line (although I could find answers to most of my questions on their webpage OR got an answer by email). I wish there was an App version and that LGL forms had a mobile option.

MW

Madeline W.

CMS Lifesaver

After taking over a messy, out-dated membership database from my predecessor, I decided to merge all existing information into LGL. And I never looked back! LGL has allowed us to collect far more information and data than we were able to do before. It has simplified our mailing process to the point where we were able to increase the number of mailings sent out each year (in a state where people LOVE...

Pros

We have found the many ways to organize and label constituents very helpful. Our organization has also moved to use LGL Forms for all of our online donation, newsletter, and volunteer information because of the multitude of ways that we can customize the forms to our specific needs. If nothing else, the availability of such a clear CRM is wonderful. The former Outreach Director's system was created in a database development system that was far beyond our in house capabilities to manage.

Cons

I sometimes wish that I had the ability to create certain categories or alter the organizational system to more closely meet our needs as a small staff covering communities across the entire state of Montana. However, I trust that any emails I send requesting certain changes will be taken into serious consideration by the LGL customer service team.

BH

Bonnie H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Little Green Light has transformed my ability to steward my donors and track donations.

It's given me hours of my life back due to all the work it does automatically. It makes me look like a superstar in my job. It gives me the ability to look back on years of data and see trends and improvements. It gives me peace of mind knowing that my data is stored safely on the cloud. It gives me something to say when sales people for Salesforce come calling...and it has healed the psychic damage that was done to me by trying to make Salesforce work for us. It satisfies my love of data and databases and perfection.

Pros

I love the way it integrates online donations into my donor records -- so easy and so professional. I especially appreciate their customer support -- if I have a question, I just send an email and I get a quick reply within hours. The software is very user friendly and adaptable to my way of doing business. Clearly it was created with a great understanding of nonprofits!

Cons

While I love having the ability to track and create acknowledgements, there are some features in this area that don't fit my process. I write cards by hand, and sometimes I only get a couple done at a time. I wish I could mark them done individually rather than by batch. I also would like to have the choice of Volunteer Hours under Related Gifts--several companies, like Microsoft, donate to us for volunteer hours put in by their full time employees. And I wish that when a recurring donation fails that the donor would automatically get an emailed notification from LGL Forms.