Buildium Logo

2,055 reviews

JW

Jeff W.

Get Appfolio... or any other PM software

I have been with Buildium for about 2 years and currently have over 100 units. Over the last 4-6 months Buildium's functionality and customer service have become terrible. Don't just take my word for it look at their recent reviews. We had recurrent problems with online payments. The final straw was losing several applicants secondary to Buildium being unable to process their online application fees....

Pros

It was a good product when I began using it 2 years ago.

Cons

Online payment system fails frequently Poor customer support Unethical (Had to move to Appfolio because of Buildium's recurrently broken online payment system was causing financial loses. They still refuse to refund my subscription payment)

Hi Jeff, Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. We're happy our support team leads were able to help come to a resolution together with you regarding this issue. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know your feedback so we could help make it right. Best, The Buildium Team

MD

Mark D.

Bank integration

From 2017 to late 2019 we were very happy with them. They were bought by RealPage in 2019. My guess is this has something to do with the issues we are facing now.

Pros

Mostly user friendly and easy to use when the bank integration worked.

Cons

No longer lets us reconcile with the bank link. States specifically this is a feature of their software but we are told by Buildium that we will have to manually reconcile. This was a PRIMARY reason we chose Buildium. The answers we get as to why are inconsistent from each person we speak with. Now we are being told that our subscription price is being raised. Would be nice if they were accountable for their issues but it's a constant passing of the blame.

With auto-reconciliation, we rely on compatibility with the banks and their login requirements. Recently, an issue has been identified with banks that have multi-factor authentication as part of their log-in process; this includes receiving a code via text or an authentication app. I hope this provides more background for you around this functionality.

EL

Elaine L.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Buildium, it works great!

Set up is fast and that was important because you can't just stop running the business to take the time to set up a software system. It simplified my bookkeeping to such an extent that I now have considerably more time to devote to the business.

Pros

It only took me 2 days part-time to lean how to use this software. While I normally really LOVE a printed User Manual (I'm old-school), the online Help available is very extensive and showed me what to do in every situation, so far. Setting up Properties, Owners, Leases and Tenants is remarkably simple and almost intuitive. Nicely done.

Cons

When I get the message (all the time) that says that an entry cannot be changed, I have to go to the original bill, deposit, etc. There needs to be a button that takes me there directly without having to go hunt for it.

AO

ANGELA O.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

User Reveiw

I have found that this product has helped me keep accurate ledgers, and ensure that my accounts are current in real life as well.

Pros

I find this software to be very user friendly. I had little to no experience when I was first introduced to this product and found it very easy to navigate. Their training videos have been helpful in learning the software as well.

Cons

One of the things I have noticed with this software is that you have to individually mark for an email receipt to be sent. I feel like there should be an option to automatically send the receipt upon payment acceptance. I often times forget to hit this button for those that want the email receipt. If I could assign this function for all transactions when setting up the unit it would make things much easier. I feel like this software would benefit from a little extra space to add in LIHTC information to individual units.

Hi Angela, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! You can set up automatic payment receipts by navigating to Settings > Application Settings, then click Residents. From there, scroll to the Payment Receipts section and select to automatically send receipts. Thanks again for leaving your feedback! Best, The Buildium Team

JP

Jennifer P.

Pros/Cons from First Space KC

Overall it’s good, I just wish assigning maintenance was a feature that Buildium would offer through app alerts.

Pros

Reports that I can provide to my clients.

Cons

A lot of the entering and how to get the reporting to look on paper can be very time-consuming and confusing. Owners are often confused how pre-payments are labeled as well. There seems to be a lot of extra line items that are unnecessary on our reports. The biggest drawback of all is that maintenance tracking and scheduling is not usable. I cannot assign work orders to my team through the app. And...

FT

Frederick T.

Property Management for Condominium and Homeowners Associations

Glad we made the switch

Pros

Ease of use. Also, the API allowed us to integrate with CIT Bank for Positive Pay.

Cons

Needs more accounting features such as automatic reversal of journal entries, listing balance sheet accounts on a report based on liquidity, and, comparison to budget reports on a consolidated basis.

Hi Frederick, Thanks for your review. Please be sure to submit your ideas for automatic journal entry reversals, comparison reports, etc to our developers by selecting the "Suggest a feature" option in the Help & Support menu in your Buildium account. - Charlie W

BH

Bill H.

Accounting, self-employed

Treasurer

Pros

We are almost there after 18 months . The balance sheet needs to have the ability to make subtotal similarly to the P&L and other reports. I use to do software support and beta testing. this is a benign request in that if you put it in, those that don't need it can ignore it and those that need it would have it. I am surprised this hasn't been asked for before now. Reasoning: Now my office manager has to convert data to excel data sheet and has to MANUALLY to the subtotal. This is very dangerous. We do sub totals of all operating accounts and than subtotal for all reserve monies and they must match. I would like your software to produce a clean Balance sheet.

Cons

this is all second hand but : downtime has been having spikes. Follow up after property manager submits a problem. I feel that when she sends you an issue, it should open a work ticket in our system and in yours as well.

AP

Andy P.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Nearly a decade of use... but losing the love.

I love the product and how it works. I can even deal with the occasional slow server days. I am finding though that support and communication coming from Buildium has been declining over the years. Without the great service that we used to enjoy, I find myself thinking more about price shopping. There are other good software options, what we were in love with was Buildium's great support.

Pros

Developed specifically for my industry and ability for tenants to pay rent & view ledger online. I like that software updates are typically helpful with increased automation and improved end-to-end workflow.

Cons

Support has increasingly become distant and vague. 6+ years ago I could call or email and contact someone who I could show the problem I was having. They would be able to update meperididicaly or I could just look up that task and see the update. Now they've removed any user ability to be involved with / or ability to check on issues. Beyond that it has taken 2+ reports of the problem to get a response...and...

BF

Brad F.

Real Estate, self-employed

A robust operations platform that saves time and money

Great! Customer service has always been helpful, and the tool is very stable.

Pros

Rent tracking and customizable late fee policies, leasing/advertising tools, renewal countdowns, and work orders are among my favorite tools within Buidium.

Cons

The reporting features (especially ePay reports to reconcile credit card transaction costs on a per-property basis) are not 100% clear or intuitive. I would like to see some community best practices for various reports.

Looks like Buildium has been a big help to your business, and it's great to see! As for reports best practices, you should check out the Blog page on Buildium.com. You'll find a whole host of posts that may have just the information you're looking for! Thanks for your review, Brad!

LZ

Leuri Z.

Buildium - Easy to Use, Improving on Features

I know Property Managers trying to manage properties using spreadsheets. I can't imaging trying to run 41 units on a spreadsheet so I love the ability to compartmentalize all the components of Property Management. I love the ability to receive all payments, including cash, electronically without having to run a deposit to the bank. While I think your Customer Tech Support is great, there are times that I am able to figure out how something works and why it works that way, faster than Tech Support and sometimes they can't figure it out, I have to tell them the logic behind how it works.

Pros

User friendly, accounting functions easy to adapt and correct. Great tech support. Integration of application information porting to Tenant ledger is improving. Like the auto transactions to move Pre-paid rents to actual rents.

Cons

Inability to edit a task description. Inability to run a "snapshot" report for some GL accounts (which always pick up the current balance instead of selecting the balance as of a given date, lazy programming). Appfolio features integrated leases as a basic feature, not an additional service for elease, which is cumbersome and expensive for smaller companies. Appfolio also provides a scheduling feature at no additional charge. However, Buildium's accounting/office backend is vastly superior to Appfolio. Overall, I like Buildium and its'user-friendly platform.

Hi Leuri, Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We've passed your feedback directly to both our product team and our customer care department. Thanks again for your honest review! Best, The Buildium Team

Buildium has made our job harder not easier. So many problems hard to explain all of them.

none. our job is harder with the software than without it. Not worth the money. Your platform is so inflexible that minor adjustments are a major hurdle. Recently I used your 1099 feature and find out that you dont efile with the states and even worse you dont provide or send us copies of the 1099's to file with the state. Your system is not designed to make the PM job easier but rather line your pockets. I cant tell you how many pages on your site say OOOOPS! You must know by now that your platform is poorly designed.

Pros

Epay is the only feature that is worth mentioning. However, with that said once a payment is made if it is made prior to the posting of the charge you had better know the Buildium accounting method and know how to withhold deposits make new charges and completely review every account in your ledger to make sure the charges get posted. The system should automatically know how and when to post these payments . Bad Accounting Design!

Cons

Everything else! the software has failed our company in the accounting module, the maintenance module, and lately the 1099 feature is worthless. They dont even send you a usable copy of what was filed. Constantly have to look at search results that say OOOPS! That is unacceptable . Cant do payroll, cant use a credit card without double entry, Cant ever get ahold of customer service. Rarely return calls the same day. Although to their credit the representatives are patient and understanding to the weaknesses of the system often sharing the same frustration and anxt.

MF

Mark F.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Customer service makes the difference

Overall, very positive. The customer service is the best aspect of Buildium. Knowledgeable, friendly, and usually minimal wait times, plus the call back feature.

Pros

It's fairly easy to use and and operate.

Cons

There are some quirky things about the software that are not ideal for the real world. I cannot think of any off the top of my head right now.

JG

Jesse G.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Works great for our needs

I can't imagine having to keep track of tenant payments and maintenance requests and fees and leases without a program like Buildium. It definitely makes day to day work much easier.

Pros

Buildium is very easy to use for our property management needs. Tenants can sign into their online account and make payments and also see their charges and fees. The software will send out welcome emails to new tenants explaining how to log into their new account. It will also email reciepts to the tenants when they make a payment. The accounting features are very easy to use and track bills and payments....

Cons

I wish there was an accounting card to customize for the dashboard. Clicking directly on a bank account would save a few seconds. This adds up when you click on different banking accounts many times throughout the day.

JF

Joshua F.

Simple and Powerful

No software is perfect but Buildium seems to care about making theirs as good as possible. I find Buildium extremely easy to use.

Pros

I picked up the basics of Buildium in one day. I am not a software expert. It provides nearly everything I need and provides info in an easy to digest format for my clients.

Cons

Buildium could do better on reveiwng user suggestions and implementing them. I have been asking for a custom chart of accounts for each client for 5+ years.

Hi Joshua, Thanks for your honest review. It's great to see that Buildium has been an easy-to-use solution for your business. Our developers do keep an eye on feature suggestions from our customers, as these are collected all the time. If you haven't already, I recommend searching UserVoice, which you can access by selecting "Suggest a feature" in your Help & Support menu. If you find a similar request you can add a +1 to it, if there isn't then you can create the request and other customers can add their +1 to it. - Charlie W

BW

Brenton W.

Great and Easy Product

I still keep recommending this to new clients. This is great for full use property management. With rental owners, I only use the tenant side of things. As a bookkeeper, quickbooks is a much faster way of the day to day finances. Balance sheet accts in buildium don't have the features you need to track properly for assets and liabilities. Just track the tenants and journal entry in the activity at month end into quickbooks. It's easy and perfect. Buildium reports help.

Pros

From uploading properties and tenants to everyday use, this software is great. Tracking tenants, maintenance and bank accounts are easy.

Cons

There are some behind the scenes programming that could make this run smoother and quicker for the user. A quicker way to add one time tenant charges would be nice. Too many clicks to get it done, especially if you have multiple tenants you need to add charges too.

AT

Angelica T.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Great job at making the relationships between tenants and owners

Buildium has freed up a lot of time during the application process, the manual rent payment processing (thanks to ePay), and allows me to store relevant documents (leases, copies of repairs) online and accessible at any time.

Pros

I like that I can upload and save data that I need while out of the office, and have current information at my fingertips as this is an online based system. No need to run back to the office and dig through a filing cabinet. I love it when tenants pay online and Owners sign up for direct deposit, ePay is a must!

Cons

I do not like that I don't get a warning message if I attempt to double charge a management fee for the same period.

Hi Angelica, Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We will take your feedback around a warning for management fees back to our product team. All the best, The Buildium Team

SK

Shirley K.

Forums Need Some Work

We're saving money on mailings, payments collection and processing, and reporting. It's totally worth it.

Pros

From both a management and user perspective, this is good software. It is the only one that included a community discussion forum for our HOA residents. That was the deciding factor for us to go with Buildium, because not one of the other software makers included any forum at all. That being said, the forum is rudimentary and needs significant improvement. 1) moderator ability: you never know when...

Cons

There are other features missing or that could be improved, but the forums is the most important, especially because it is a distinguishing feature of Buildium. It isn't only bookkeepers using this with common property associations. It isn't only renters. It is being used to build a sense of community among owners in our HOA, and I think it could be used that way in other communities as well. That being said, it would be amazing to upload our official documents, such as our CC&Rs and our Rules and our Policies. We're required to disperse those annually to every resident. Buildium won't allow that much memory so we have to mail it.

JR

John R.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Buildium has grown with my company

My company was been with Buildium since 2009. I have been very pleased with the platform, but have been especially impressed with their customer service. Any time my team has an issue, Buildium's reps are quick to respond. I've also had a great experience working with our Customer Success Manager, who has kept me in the loop on new features and given me opportunities to directly offer my feedback to...

Pros

*Interface is clean and easy to navigate *Great learning platform (Buildium Academy) *Well-priced vs competition *Continually adding new features *Fantastic customer support *Product development team has been very open to hearing our experience

Cons

*Could use more customization in reporting, though they have made some major strides recently *Dashboard is limited and doesn't give as much info visually as I'd like *Closed platform (API) only working with their chosen vendors *Geared more toward single-family properties vs multifamily (could use a make-ready/turnover board) *Limited workflows/checklists around repeating tasks

AH

Angie H.

Buildium for community management

Building representatives are knowledgeable and helpful and again are good at finding workarounds. Software/ program designer would benefit from having consultants that actually work in the industry of community association management if this is a direction the software is to be marketed.

Pros

Communication is good for the most part. Support is knowledgeable and is often able to figure work around for the program shortcomings. In general the software is easy to use

Cons

Primarily designed for rentals the program falls short for community management and documentation compliant with Florida statutes. Customizing reports to meet standards is not an offered option. Build them app list s by resident name not address. This makes it impossible and a logical to use for covenant inspections or property notations as a manager would have to have every single resident memorized for all communities/ properties. Therefore the software is useless in the community management industry.

Tom M.

Staff has been excellent. Software is very good. I like that they listen and will add features!

Saves time and allows better communication with tenants

Pros

Ease of use. Very intuitive design. It is customized for Property Management and for rental owners.

Cons

Their are a few functionality items that I would like to see added. I do understand that it is not efficient to add a feature based on only a few people requesting it. The reset password link to tenants needs to be looked at. When you reset a tenant password, the link expires after 10-15 minutes. That pretty much means you have to be on the phone with them to make sure they are in front of a computer...

Hi Tom, Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts! In regards to your comments around password reset timing, we realize this can be inconvenient and are actively working on a solution so tenants can request a new password after expiration without needing to contact their property manager. Stay tuned for an update. Thank you again for your honest feedback!

Valentina N.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Do not care about fair treatment. All they want is Money!

I have been a customer of Buildium for 5-6 years. I saw them grow. Today, once they are more stable and more successful as many people gave them their trust and loyalty, Buildium became a robot. Yes, A Robot, with no Human touch. You want to speak to someone, you need to pay extra. Otherwise, you simply create a ticket, and then you may wait for a reply for several days. For us, the Property Managers,...

Pros

Portal, Statements, Online Payment work great. Customer say that accounting is confusing, but we used to it.

Cons

A quality of Customer service is declined

Hi Valentina, Thanks for taking the time to leave your honest feedback. The manager of our customer care team has reached out to you by phone and email about the refund you requested. On our core subscription plan, you do not need to pay extra for phone support! Our wait times are currently low, so feel free to give us a call when you need help - we're happy to assist over the phone. Thanks again for leaving us your honest feedback. Best, The Buildium Team

MG

Mary G.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Excellent software that is constantly looking to improve itself and its value

We have loved being users of Buildium and have continue for almost 10 years. The value, quality, and efficiency it adds to our business is truly worth its subscription price.

Pros

We love that Buildium is constantly looking to ways to add value to our daily work. We have integrated Happy Inspector into our protocols due to its ease of use and integration into Buildium. The work orders and online portal are phenomenal additions as well.

Cons

We find it very difficult to manage accounts with many tenants. Sororities and fraternities with multiple payers must be divided out via a spreadsheet to truly see where the payments are being made.

NC

Nelson C.

A happy 10 year Buildium user

Excellent experience and I am totally happy with it.

Pros

Buildium continues to innovate and improve their property management software and have not raised fees much from when I started over 10 years ago. I originally began its use because Buildium was one of the few that was web-based and fit all of the criteria that I was looking for. I can access it from my smartphone, tablet, or laptop anywhere that I have internet access.

Cons

Nothing, Buildium satisfies all of my needs

SJ

Shannon J.

Buildium for Property Managment

I have worked with Buildium in multiple businesses. We have also tried other software. Buildium has been the best I've worked with for Property Management.

Pros

Tenant and owner income/expense tracking as well as work orders.

Cons

Accounting capabilities are not available yet.

It's awesome to see how user-friendly Buildium is for you, Shannon. Accounting functions are indeed available on the platform and are a core feature. Is there a specific function you are looking for? Reach out to customer care for assistance. - Charlie

SL

Sheila L.

Real Estate,

Like Buildium so much!

Pros

We're a somewhat small Property Management company in California with about 140 units, and I like a lot of things about Buildium. The customer service reps are helpful and polite, which is so noticeable today. They know what they are talking about, and I understand their explanations; they speak clearly and in good English, especially with accounting questions, as accounting is so confusing to me....

Cons

The system slows down sometimes around 4 or 5PM Pacific time, but I'm not sure that it's Buildium's fault. We're in California, and customer service phone help ends at 2:00 PM Pacific Time, and it seems that when I occasionally want to call, it's after 2:00 PM, which is a little frustrating. The reports are great, but there is just one report which I used to run on my old program that isn't available on Buildium in the same format. Otherwise, I've found all the reports so far that I need. I really can't think of anything else of significance that Buildium doesn't offer.