PicMonkey Logo

PicMonkey

Photo editing and design tools designed to elevate brands

PicMonkey Reviews

4.5

1.1K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.24/10

Reviews by rating

IT is really nice that I don't have to have a subscription to a professional tool like Adobe Indesign to be able to make meaningful graphics for my business.
It is great if you're looking for variety, this software contains beautiful textures which is great if you're looking to stand out.
I'm very happy with what this software has to offer, it's very user friendly and a great editing software for anyone to use.
I dislike that I would have to pay to use the premium features, but I understand why. I probably would pay if I needed to use it more often.
The worst thing about this app is the login options. Since it's new upgrade, the login has gotten really tacky.
But if they just fix their log in problems, it'd be a beast.

1,126 reviews

Laurie R.

Owner

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Quick and Easy App To Use

Transcript

Laurie R.: Hi. I'm Laurie, I'm a nurse practitioner. I give PicMonkey a score of five out of five. For...

Linda R.

Director of Digital Communications

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

A worthy competitor to Canva

Transcript

Linda R.: My name is Linda, I'm a director of digital communications, and I give PicMonkey three out...

Mohamed A.

Internet, self-employed

I am very satisfied about PicMonkey because it has helped me to grow my online business.

Today editing pictures should be intuitive and fast. And PicMonkey provides these 2 needs !

Pros

PicMonkey is among my best editing software. Easy to use and helps me to build the branding of my online business. Thank you very much !

Cons

To be honest i am satisfied about all PicMonkey features and services. Keep going well !!!

JP

Julia P.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Most user friendly, inexpensive image software

Excellent, user friendly, great value for the fee, all in one place media tool. Love working with Picmonkey and won’t use anything else!

Pros

The image and video gallery is excellent. It has a diverse set of content and we use it daily. They keep up to date with what is happening around the world and have images and video footage that we can then use in our social media and web presence. The tools are very user friendly and we love the new features that Picmonkey keeps adding to our account; remove background tool, fill text with image...

Cons

It would be better if multiple images could be shared instead of one by one. A more diverse set of graphics would be helpful. For example: basic icons for construction, church, Christmas would be helpful.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Good tool for creating

Overall my experience started out great with PicMonkey but then I found Canva and was able to create more with that software.

Pros

This is a good tool to use to create social media posts, documents and presentations with icons and graphics. Very user friendly as well.

Cons

It seemed to have its limitations creatively. I ended up switching over to Canva to create my social media posts.

Consumer Services, self-employed

Perfect app to use for Editing

Pros

Love the editing features that’s provided.

Cons

I don’t like the transition lag clicking to a different feature within the app .

CC

Crystal C.

Wholesale, self-employed

Fast, Efficient Slides

With PicMonkey I have been able to crop and collage photos, as well as add fonts and stickers to make many useful graphics for my business.

Pros

This software makes it simple for the entry level user to identify different elements of editing and create wonderful slides and photo grids. There is a free trial version, but you can pay for a subscription for access to extra features. It saves work and makes it simple for anyone to use this. As a business owner who sells various products and also runs promotions, I find it a fast solution to make collages as well as sale flyers. You can also download your own fonts or backgrounds to use within the system or have access to a variety of others as well.

Cons

I think this software would benefit from additional features, such as resizing photos easily, as there are times you are limited to the type of work you can do if your uploaded photo is not within the size parameters. I would also like to see more editing options, to retouch photos in more advanced ways, for facial perfection or to color certain areas on black and white photo easily.

MS

Mohammed S.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Achieve professional results with amateur level editing skills

With PicMonkey, I am able to create the most amazing and engaging content for our community outreach programs. It was courtesy PicMonkey that I chanced upon my graphic designing side hustle -- when some banners I had created with PicMonkey was such a huge hit that I was contracted by our project partners to create same for them. And it's been one satisfied client after another since then.

Pros

The best thing about picmonkey is the ease of use. The very user-friendly interface combines perfectly with a well stocked media library to enable me churn out graphic content in the shortest possible time. Our team presentations and marketing emails have never been boring since I started using PicMonkey to design content materials.

Cons

I am still hoping an advanced version will be released with more advanced editing and video-work tools for the much heavier projects. But I guess the current version was created for the niche market of unsophisticated graphic design work.

HA

Holly A.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

Love Pic Monkey.

Totally happy and satisfied. By far the best photo editing app around.

Pros

Out of all the photo editing apps, PicMonkey is my favorite. I used to use the free trial and just signed up for a paid account. I love that I can import my own fonts -- and you can even do that on the free trial.

Cons

I do wish the monthly fee was a little cheaper. It is a bit steep but still worth it if you are going to use it everyday. It is a bit annoying that you can't download on the free trial, though.

OH

Olivia H.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

I couldn't do without it!

Pros

This is seriously the best graphic design application for the cost available. I make phenomenal book cover graphics using this software, but also simpler social media sharing graphics. First rate all around.

Cons

Occasionally the site crashes or gets glitchy. Otherwise, great product!

Meg S.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Don't Love, Don't Hate

Not great, not terrible. Easy for someone starting out in brand management.

Pros

Easy to use, customizable templates, modern designs.

Cons

The mobile app is terrible. Sole reason I switched from PicMonkey to a different service.

AD

Alessia D.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Easy to use and full of templates

Pros

It gives you a lot of choices; the templates are very organized and you can choose between more than 30 categories. This works for other features of the platform, too; if you need help for a presentation, or to create your logo... PicMonkey will always lend you a hand and give you a lot of alternatives to choose from.

Cons

Sometimes I found many templates pretty "similar" to each other. Not in a bad way, they were good, but ultimately if I wanted something that was entirely different or original I had to look for it.

CD

Chineke D.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Anyone can use PicMonkey

Before now, I do all my professional photo editing and retouching with Photoshop, but then I met PicMonkey, it became really easy for me as I don't have to have access to my system before I edit. Every member of my team can now do a design using PicMonkey since with the template, they already have a starting point. It has been great, they should just consider leaving some functions as free.

Pros

Its ease of deployment and ability to be understood by anyone saves the day for me. The templates are always a good starting point and I use them all the time.

Cons

Well, the pricing is a little on the high side, at first I thought I could get a lot of functionalities free only to find out that I have to pay after your free trial to continue using it.

BG

Barry G.

Internet, 51-200 employees

PicMonkey Review

If I am looking for a quick basic fix (or if I am being slightly lazy), then PicMonkey can be the ideal solution. It may not have all of the bells and whistles that larger, more powerful software can offer, but for the price and ease of use, it does offer fair value for money. I recommend this for the beginner rather than a graphic designer.

Pros

PicMonkey is a simple to use piece of software that allows for basic photo editing without the complexities of other software on the market. The changes are instant and it is clearly designed to be used even by those with no previous experience of photo editing. Their tools menu comes down the side of your screen, and it is easy to find what you are looking for once you get used to the layout. There...

Cons

While they can be fun, there are a number of more cartoon-like effects. Also, the company did change the layout of the backend which made it slightly less usable in my opinion. However, they do provide you with the option of reverting back to the old way of doing things, so it's not a big deal.

Joseph C.

Printing, 1-10 employees

Great online photo editor that's perfect...almost!

PicMonkey is a great piece of software perfect for most of our photo editing needs. If you're looking for an inexpensive alternative that's easy to use and cost effective...this could be your solution!

Pros

My wife and I were both blogging and found ourselves regularly needed photo editing software to create eye-catching pictures for our blogs. We tried several options but none of them worked well for both of us until we found PicMonkey. The features PicMonkey offers are super robust and allow for a maximum amount of creativity. But best of all, the user interface is simple so that accessing all of its powerful features doesn't require hours of training and repeat use. After we began using it, we realized that it was a great tool for all sorts of photo editing projects, from kid/family pics to Facebook cover photo and Instagram posts. All-in-all, it's a great piece of software and the app gives mobile function that is nearly as powerful as the online browser tool.

Cons

The biggest (and really, only) con to this software is that it's very difficult to work with more than one picture at a time. There were times I really wanted to overlay or compare or crop two different pictures for one project and the PicMonkey interface doesn't really make that possible. For the most part, this wasn't a huge problem for us, though occasionally I had to create one image, save it, then import it as a new image in order to add another layer of creative editing. It's not a huge problem most of the time, but it did come up from time-to-time.

JJ

Juliet J.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

The PicMonkey Designing Tool Review: Features, Pros and Cons.

PicMonkey was the first designing app that I used before trying others for branding and the creation of graphics for my websites. I created some of my logos and blog images in PicMonkey. I found it to be frustrating when you're creating presentations and you miss some keys when typing, so the best option is to type the text elsewhere and paste it in. When I discovered Canva, I found PicMonkey was lacking some of the features found in Canva and I could not also pay for two subscriptions. I chose Canva instead.

Pros

PicMonkey is a simple to use app especially when editing images. What I like most about PicMonkey is being able to see the color hex on any element just by hovering on top of it. Its a cool feature when it comes to blending colors in elements. PicMonkey also lets you see the exact size of the element you're working on and it can resize it for you automatically. PicMonkey has more tools for touching up images such as airbrush and smoother that you don't find in other apps.

Cons

PicMonkey has less elements than other apps such as Canva. Their graphics are limited and at times you are forced to source them elsewhere. PicMonkey does not have a lot of customized elements although they have been adding them on but they are still lagging behind compared to other apps like Canva. The basic version does not allow you to crop photos so you have to upgrade. PicMonkey is a bit slow when you type quickly inside the app, you can miss some keystrokes.

Civil Engineering, 201-500 employees

Be a professional image editor with picmonkey

Overall picmonkey is simply superb. I like it alot. I can do editing in picmonkey the all day and I never get tired of it. I highly suggest this software to all the people who are interested in image editing work.

Pros

This is an amazing image editor so far I have encountered. Apart from my career photography and editing is one of my passion. Picmonkey made my passion come true. This software is very useful for the youtubers and bloggers who frequently work with pictures and image editing. There is a facility of using free trial for 7 days then you can decide. And also its less costly compared to other image editing softwares. There is base and pro plans for bill payment you can subscribe to one which is convenient. Picmonkey is compatible with mobiles,Android and computers. So you can edint the pictures on the go. And also there is cloud service where you can store the edited pictures.

Cons

There are very few flaws in this software. Specially it glitches when I try to use it in the computer. And also I prefer if we get proper instructions within this software.

Jannatin N.

Chemicals, 51-200 employees

Need a quick edit! You've got it!

Overall, PicMonkey was a great experience and still continues to be one of the best sites I use to quickly make image edits and design from anywhere and on any device. I highly recommend this for beginners in editing as well since everything is clear and you can easily click through whatever options they have to choose what you want to use to edit with!

Pros

PicMonkey is the most easiest tool I've use to this date to make quick and simple graphic edits. I even get to edit my images, make them pop, add text, and more! I can make things with their templates or I can easily make stuff out of scratch. There is so much you can do with this software and everything is in large and easy to navigate through so you could get the best out of it when editing.

Cons

A lot of features to make your photos even better require a monthly membership, but I'll be honest, it is worth it. There is so much you can do with or without the membership but I enjoyed using this so much I just got it anyway.

CW

Christi W.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Create Dynamic Designs in Minutes!

I benefit from the ease of use, the time it takes to create a design, and the ease of retrieving the design from the app on my cell phone.

Pros

This software is so easy to use! I am a novice and I like to design for our women's group social media page. (I'm a novice but I have some skills!) There are plenty of templates to choose from that are easy to customize. The alignment hints and grids make it easy to position your text or graphic. There are lots of overlays, effects, and text choices to choose from and they keep adding to it. I have...

Cons

I can't think of anything that I dislike about this software. However, when i owned a PC, the software did crash a few times. But that was probably my laptop and not the software. I've owned a MacBook Pro for several months now and I've had no issues.

Gede Ananda A.

Apparel & Fashion, 1-10 employees

Quick edit never been easier

At first, I found this software when I was in the Airport when suddenly my client need to make some simple revision, at that time I don't bring my laptop with me and only got my tablet. I feel a little bit hesitant to buy the monthly membership for 7 dollars, thanks to the Trial Version it convinced me to buy the membership. If you need to do a quick edit like add a text, invert the color or move the image object this app is an answer.

Pros

I recommend this app to beginner graphic designer because this app makes editing like playing some minigames, it's fun and simple. The user interfaces the last time I used it is so Clean and simple, people without any basic knowledge of editing can use this. There's lot of great features in the paid version. Overall great apps to edit your picture if you not a tech-savvy guy or just started into graphic design

Cons

To be honest, because of the monthly subscription a lot of people will be looking down at this app, the Trial Version not helping much. I hope instead Picmonkey will be available in some Free Version way

BC

Bianca C.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Not Photoshop, but a pretty sharp alternative!

quite is an excellent additional design software- perfect for quick social media graphics. If you are an experienced graphic designer though, this is probably not the tool for you!

Pros

OK... so let's get this out in the open. Picmonkey is a free (or nominal cost) design software. Therefore, I don't think it's fair to expect Photoshop level capabilities! LOVE LOVE the new Beta functions, so many beautiful design elements that really add a layer of professionalism to the final product. I think this program helps you "think like a designer" for a really great outcome. I also love the pre-sized templates. This makes it much easier to use on social platforms.

Cons

My only real complaint is with frequent glitches. It does freeze when using some of the design tools quite frequently. Also.. once exported, I do think the image quality does get distorted a bit.

Real Estate, self-employed

Great for Designing

I primarily use PicMonkey for designing invitations, announcements, and other printables. In the past, if the site froze or I lost internet connection, I'd lose my work. When the hub was introduced, that problem was resolved and that made PicMonkey my go to for my designing needs.

Pros

I love all the fonts and templates that are readily available. I primarily use PicMonkey for designing invitations, announcements, and other printables. I have a Hub where I can save my work to come back to later which is great. There is a small amount of space which helps keep me accountable so I don't have tons of files saved that I don't need. There are themes of graphics that are available that ARE SO DANG CUTE. I can upload my own clip art or images to add to a design and it recognizes any fonts I have installed. The program is very user friendly with the newest rollout. I love that you can scroll away from the canvas and put things off to the side instead of deleting them altogether.

Cons

I like the price the least. The price with the newest rollout is quite costly for what I use it for. Previously it was less than $50/year and I could justify that.

CN

Cherie N.

Music, self-employed

PicMonkey Keeps Getting Better

I love using Pic Monkey. I use it to design t shirts, e-book pages, photo shop photographs, social media graphics and more. It's much easier to use than a pro editor like Adobe Photoshop. You can't go wrong with a premium membership. You get access to everything!

Pros

I have been a Pic Monkey user for a long time. They have transitioned with the changing times to offer more to their customers. I still love the opportunity to use the cloning tool in my photos. New feature I love is the transparent background for png images. The Best part of Pic Monkey is that everything on the site is available for commercial license use. I love this for creating items that I actually sell online.

Cons

I had been grandfathered in to a lower price basic membership. For a long time a paid membership was the premium membership. Now I have to pay even more, to get all the features I want. But I am because I use Pic Monkey all the time. Pic Monkey is similar to Canva, but there are enough photography tools that canva doesn't have that make a premium membership at both desirable.

Craig M. J.

If you are not a graphic artist but, you work with photos, PicMonkey is for you!

Great looking basic photo editing for people who know nothing about ... photo editing.

Pros

I can't draw stick people but, I do a lot of writing and that writing often requires the use of images. I also maintain two web sites and they have a lot of images. My needs are not that sophisticated but, every piece of photo editing software that I looked at was may more than what I needed and I couldn't even figure out how it worked. PicMonkey is simple to use, does everything that I need, and has never not provided me with the tools to make any image look better!

Cons

Really, it's great! My only complaint is that I upgraded to the premium version of this program when the removed the ability to save edited documents from the free version. I can edit but not save? What's the point? Now, the save function (they call it export), does not always work. You click the button and it does nothing, However, right below that they have a link to download the saved image (no difference than their export) and, it always works. Minor but annoying.

Allison B.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Great stepping stone program if you don't want to buy Photoshop

I have been a long-time user. In the past few years, they have really amped up the features to allow for more photo customization. While this is a good thing, I think they are reaching a point where the tool is starting to get too complex. That said, I appreciate that they are listening to their customers and adding new features to make simple photo editing easier.

Pros

PicMonkey has a lot of features. They used to be a simpler program, but have added more and more features over time while still remaining fairly user friendly. It isn't a program you can use for professional-level photo manipulation, but it does give you everything you need to create photos for your website. It's a stepping stone - more features than simply photo manipulation apps, but not as complex as Photoshop.

Cons

They used to have a free version with access to some of the most basic features. Now, they have a free trial, but no free version. If you just need to do simple things like resizing and adding text to the photo, there are free apps that will get the job done.

JS

Jiří S.

Events Services, 1-10 employees

PicMonkey is helping us to sort and contact our customers in e-commerce from Google etc.

It is effectivly helping us to sort and get new customers from our e-mail list.

Pros

PicMonkey is helping us to sort and contact our custommers in e-commerce from Google etc. It helps to growing number of our customer conversation

Cons

The Czech Localisation and Czech language would be of Use. But it is very simple and intuitive to use in sorting and messeging of our clients.

AL

Angele L.

I'm an avid, longtime fan and user of PicMonkey!

It's allowed me to blog/vlog void of being a computer genius or a photoshop pro! Very thankful I found this software. It's beginner friendly. You can literally plug and play...

Pros

LOVE how you're constantly adding new features and fonts. Big fan of your touch-up editing features (CURVES saves me every time!) That alone makes this software worth every penny.

Cons

the freaking layers and overlay windows are always in the way! I wish it was easier to centre images - I can do it with text. Pictures or box overlays is a whole different story. I'm sure you get this lots. As a paying member (4yrs I think) I wish I had a bit more Hub room...