Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage Logo

Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage

Always-hot cloud storage to store, manage, and protect data

Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage Reviews

4.7

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.88/10

Reviews by rating

It's easy to use, automatically backs up and gives you the most important data about it. I even like that they email you if your computer hasn't connected to their cloud in a while.
Backblaze has been a lifesaver. I downloaded the software and it backs up my documents.
Backup solution is robust and simple. I really like that because a control panel and configure should be as simple as possible.
That's more limited by the bandwidth you pay for.
Backblaze set it and forget it until you need it.

Andrew R P.

Director of Family Ministries

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Rock Solid Cloud Backup

Transcript

Andrew: My name is Andrew. I'm a pastor. I give Backblaze five out of five. And for more reviews like...

Aaron E.

Partner

Graphic Design, 1-10 employees

Set it and forget it backup

Transcript

Aaron: Hi, my name is Aaron. I'm an account director and I work in the communications industry. And I...

Ronnie N.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Peace of mind offsite backups

It provides great peace of mind knowing I have my important personal and business files backed up without any effort or thought.

Pros

It just trudges along in the background, doing its job securely backing up the files to the cloud. I like that I can have exclusion folders (like Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud) since there's no point to back those up.

Cons

Not so much a con per se, but I haven't actually tested any of the backups because I haven't needed to.

I have been using Backblaze for several years as one of several backup methods for my work computer.

The benefit of knowing that my data is securely stored if my computer and my first line of backups fail. Lets face it, external hard drives can fail as easily as an internal hard drive. I certainly hope that I never have to recover my data in an emergency, but if I do, i feel better having made what I feel is a very reasonably priced purchase of this product.

Pros

Backblaze runs in the background and engages in backups whenever your computer is connected to the internet. It is seamless and runs in the settings part of my Mac. Backblaze allows you to encrypt your backups with the key being held only by you. While this is one of those types of software that you hope you never need to use, if you do need it you can download your data from the internet OR request...

Cons

I honestly cannot say that there is anything I dislike about Backblaze. It's an inexpensive, non-obtrusive piece of software that simply does what it's supposed to do. If you use an encryption key that Backblaze is not storing for you DO NOT lose it under any circumstance or you will NEVER get your data back without it. This is only a "con" if you lose the key.

Brad M.

Computer Software,

I used this service for many years backing up data of about 2 TB

Pros

It was easy to setup and configure the software. It ran in the background unattended. It was able to dd or remove folders quickly.

Cons

The one time I needed the software to actually work for a backup it failed. It was not able to retain my existing backup when I had to reinstall Windows 10 on my desktop. I was told I needed to re-upload my entire data-set again.

Hey Brad - It can be quite annoying when one has to repush... although it can happen when 3rd party software impedes our "inherit backup state" feature. Please let us know if this continues to be an issue an we're happy to help troubleshoot

Computer Games, 1-10 employees

It's great to know that you have a backup option if any of you computers lose data!

I was looking for a backup solution that suits very large files, like 30GB + game project files. Backblaze had the most competitive features and pricing. The software has been very reliable, I've had it running on a computer for 2 years straight, only turning it off for updates.

Pros

Backblaze is easy to set up, quick to back up, and reliably continues working. The pricing is very competitive. It doesn't throttle your network connections.

Cons

The software looks a bit outdated, but does what is advertised. I do have concerns that if my computer is offline for 60 days plus, the files won't be retained. It's hard to find this information with clarity for any backup service.

Hi! Thanks for being a customer. A quick response on your concern - our service is designed to retain your backup even if your computer is offline for up to 6 months. Here's a KB article on it https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/217664898-What-happens-to-my-backups-when-I-m-away-or-on-vacation- In that KB, we also discuss an option to enable "extended version history" to extend that window as well as extend the window of retention for deleted / changed files. If you have any other question, please don't hesitate to reach out to our help desk via chat or email https://www.backblaze.com/help.html

AH

Anne H.

Publishing, self-employed

Backblaze provides the security I want

I've been very happy with Backblaze for my personal use. Since getting, I haven't had any major issues. I hate to say it's one of those set-and-forget programs, but it is. However, I do get an alert if something happened with the backup.

Pros

With Backblaze, I can control what gets backed up and when. There many file types, I don't need backed up. I can also set it up so it doesn't kick in if I'm still using the PC.

Cons

I have my backups go off nightly. However, I wish there were a way to have it integrate with Windows File Explorer so I could right-click a file to do an immediate backup. I did run into a glitch when I added another hard drive and I remapped my drive letters. It did get resolved.

WD

Wyn D.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Backup your data automatically, just install and forget.

We have lost a couple of machines to ransomware so rather than giving in to the criminals we just turned to Backblaze.

Pros

This software takes away all of the worry with regard to insuring your data is safe. It runs in the background without having any impact on your machines resources.

Cons

Our other teams backup data to Google Drive, which is fine. This does cost a bit more but it does have advantages such as the ability to have your data retrieval via hard drive sent via courier. Much quicker if and when you need terrabytes of data.

Jesus P.

Blazing Fast Business Backup

Incredibly fast backups and restorations. Integration with popular backup software.

Pros

The speed is incredible and pricing per GB for BackBlaze B2 is lower than Amazon Glacier and Microsoft Azure. Plus, they publish an annual report on hard drive failure rates that is extremely valuable.

Cons

A few years ago, my only gripe was the amount of industry integrations. Since then, however, they've added many, many new ones that resolve my concerns.

Jonathan A.

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

My review of Backblaze

Experience has been smooth and works as described. Company has surpassed expectations. Highly recommend.

Pros

Started with a free trial and was instantly converted into a paying customer when I realized how easy it is to use and how fairly priced it is. Pros- Cost - $130 for a 2 year plan Unlimited storage - peace of mind storage will never run out Easy to use software - Installed one piece of software and within 3-4 clicks, it started backing up and worked in the background while I continued to use my system Backup internals - it continuously backs up every couple of minutes/hours once it spots changes Speed of backup - large backups finish quickly Lots of security options - 2FA authentication, private key encryption - for that extra level of security

Cons

It does not allow the backing up of applications and system files. In other words, you cannot make a bootable image of your system. If this was available, Backblaze would be perfect.

Samantha C.

Photography, self-employed

I love backblaze for all my storage needs!

It's fast and reliable and provides me a huge piece of mind. I love how it automatically backs up what I specify and is so affordable.

Pros

Unlimited storage at an amazing price! Backblaze automatically backs up drives, folders, and files you set.

Cons

It does not back up exe files which are mainly software installation files but that is also where malware likes to hide.

Dany H.

Serious peace of mind!

Pros

How can you go wrong with the idea of your machine being constantly backed up. I don't even realize it's happening, but seeing the reports of your backup is heartwarming. Knowing every computer regardless of platform is backed up is fantastic.

Cons

I can't think of anything negative to say about Backblaze. The price? Could it be cheaper? I'm sure it could, but it's very affordable.

BD

Barbara D.

Photography, self-employed

Backblaze has saved me three times in the past!

My experience with Backblaze has been great! They allow you to immediately begin downloading files you need from anywhere! If the number of files that you need to download is so large that time is a factor, they will send you your files via an external hard-drive. Computers crash... I can't ever imagine being without this service. There is nothing more important than the peace of mind it brings!

Pros

The security I feel in knowing that my files and photos are continuosly being backed up to the cloud is priceless! It only takes a hard-drive glitch once to truly appreciate this service. I've used their recovery system three times in the past and it's made the service something I will never be without! If there are only a few files you need, you can download them. If you need your entire hard drive to be recovered, they will send your files to you on a hard drive and not even charge you for the actual hard drive if you return it to them! This is an awesome service. They also send reports to assure you that files are backed up!

Cons

This product works silently in the background 24/7! Once you set the parameters you want, you can just feel the security that no matter what happens, your files are safe.

MF

Mauricio F.

Online Media, 1-10 employees

Powerful cloud storage Backblaze B2

Using Backblaze B2 for desktop, VM, database and NAS backups. Clients include Synology NAS and MSP360 (SQL Server, Hyper-V and desktop).

Pros

It's very inexpensive compared to other cloud-based storage platforms. AWS-compatible API. Easy to manage storage buckets.

Cons

Limited geographical locations means it can be slow depending on where your servers are, when compared to local Azure instances for example.

PP

Pasquale P.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Peace of mind for your bucks

Pros

Backblaze is a very minimal tool. It doesn't sport any bells and whistles, it never stays in your way. It just stay silent for much of the time and just... works. Your entire disk is safely and securely backed up on their servers and you can access your files and restore your backups in case of dramatic events.

Cons

Honestly the web interface is a little bit strange and oddly organized, but it's a very minor complaint because you rarely use it (if at all).

SS

Suzanne S.

Graphic Design, self-employed

Covers the Basics

Pros

It's easy to set up, then requires nothing to maintain. Everything functions pretty automatically. The initial upload speed was fair. It allows lots of space for backup.

Cons

It isn't very user friendly to know what files have been backed up versus which files are queued for backup. Nor is it easy to figure out how to access those files from the cloud if you ever needed to. There is no file versioning, so if you need an older version of a file, you are out of luck. The backup is also limited to whatever you have on your harddrive - it doesn't backup external harddrives, and any file that has not been on your harddrive for more than 30 days gets deleted from the backup as well.

KL

Kyle L.

Great cloud based backup for personal computers and business laptops!

Pros

Backblaze has a simple monthly or yearly cost with NO DATA restrictions. Don't worry about what data to backup, backup all of your data. Backblaze has an easy to use interface and you can even schedule when the backups occur or do a continuous backup.

Cons

I wish Backblaze had an easier to use Business package. You have to buy a third party app to get to their storage.

Hi Kyle - Thanks for being a customer! Happy to chat with you re: access to your storage. While we have many integration partners, customers are not required to buy an app to get to your storage. Feel free to reach out if I can help troubleshoot. Cheers, Ahin (VP of Marketing @ Backblaze

SB

Scott B.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Great product offerings for backup and file hosting

Pros

The desktop software is the most reliable I've run used, and sits quietly in the background rather than chewing away at resources while doing nothing. The app's interface is quite simple, and makes it easy to set external hard drives for backup or files to ignore. Regarding Backblaze B2, I host files for a website there and the price compared to AWS is very reasonable - an eighth of the price for bandwidth.

Cons

The Web UI for restoring files is a bit clunky, but thankfully I don't have to interface with it too often :)

Marketing and Advertising, 201-500 employees

If you need an emergency backup, Backblaze is perfect

I believe that everyone who works heavily on files should protect their data from unexpected accidents. Backblaze is a no-brainer for creative specialists and for entrepreneurs.

Pros

It's the easiest way for regular customers to protect their data from loss. It's not the same thing as cloud storage, and it's not meant to be the same. But if you want to be always protected, Backblaze is a great and not-so-expensive solution. I used it for about 2 years when I used my private PC for work. Now I don't need it as much, but still consider getting back.

Cons

It would be great if that had some kind of cloud storage or at least integration with third-party cloud services.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Cloud backup plans are nothing new but Backblaze does it best

Backblaze provides a simple setup and peace of mind when dealing with valuable data.

Pros

Pricing is great for Backblaze and setup is beyond simple. The persistent backups mean no user is ever in fear of losing valuable data. We've implemented Backblaze for all our employees machines. An underrated feature that I hope I never have to use is they'll send you a physical copy of your backup if you ever find yourself in a severe emergency backup situation!

Cons

I really, really can't think of any negatives to say about Backblaze. While I think the price is fair I guess it could be bundled a little better for larger organizations who need a lot of machines backed up.

CS

Carl S.

Design, self-employed

Set it and forget it

Generally works great without me having to do anything. But I have had issued with the backups getting desynchronized.

Pros

Once it's been set up, you rarely have to think about it. It works in the background.

Cons

Because you rarely need to think about it, if it stops working it could be a while before you notice there's an issue. Changing/deleting a bunch of files all at once can cause the backup to become desynchronized, and the only way to fix it is to uninstall and reinstall the app start the backup over from scratch.

AM

Anthony M.

Pros

I have literally had to do nothing after I signed up and followed the step-by-step process. I feel comfortable knowing that I have a 100% backup of my whole computer.

Cons

I, like many in this day and age, often wonder the security level of this backup storage service. There is some pretty serious content some folks may have stored in their backup...how secure is it? I just don't know yet. There is a constant tug-of-war on my perception of my content's safety and security. This is not specific to BackBlaze, but is inherently present because of the nature of this business.

AG

Amber G.

Medical Devices, 501-1,000 employees

Backblaze

Overall experience with Backblaze has been very good. The admin console this very easy to use and makes it simple to download backups.

Pros

Backblaze is a dependable backup solution. This software has been so helpful for all the remote users we have.

Cons

I wish Backblaze had the capability to automatically download data that has been backed up on a previous computer and dump it onto a different computer.

Media Production, self-employed

The best no-fuss backup solution around.

Pros

Backblaze has one of the easiest on-boarding process of any backup software I've used. It's seriously software that most end users would be able to easily configure on their own computer. Such an intuitive interface that still has powerful features for those looking to tweak things.

Cons

I really don't have anything negative to say about Backblaze. Their service and emergency recovery support are second to none, and the no-fuss pricing per computer with no storage caps makes price forecasting a breeze.

The safest, most worry free back up solution out there!

Pros

Runs seamlessly in the background. Reports by email of issues that arise. Incredibly affordable. Super customizable. Fast uploading (along with you having a fast internet connection). Solid reassurance that your files are safe and backed up.

Cons

Can send your internet data allotment in a month into overages. Just be careful that you aren't backing up a Terabyte of Files and not having it consume your allowed data usage for the month. I learned that one the hard way, but it was my fault.

Chris M.

Dead simple backup that works exactly as it should

Pros

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! It is so easy to use, and I have it on all of my machines. Setting it up is so easy that I can recommend it to anyone. It finds what needs to be backed up and automatically transfers it in the background. And, best of all, it does not kill your Internet connection when it is transferring.

Cons

Absolutely nothing at all. Everything from setup to restoring files works intuitively. I've used a TON of backup programs, and Backblaze is just perfect.

JZ

Juniper Z.

Consumer Services, self-employed

Piece of mind for a low fee

Pros

I love that it runs in the background without me needing to remember to do a back up. The low monthly fee is definitely worth the piece of mind it gives me. It's already saved my butt once before when a previous computer had a melt down.

Cons

I honestly have no complaints. It is fantastic.