Backblaze

Cloud-based server backup management software

Backblaze Reviews

Pros

It's easy to use, automatically backs up and gives you the most important data about it. I even like that they email you if your computer hasn't connected to their cloud in a while.

Backblaze has been a lifesaver. I downloaded the software and it backs up my documents.

Allie S.

Backup solution is robust and simple. I really like that because a control panel and configure should be as simple as possible.

Chase S.

Cons

That's more limited by the bandwidth you pay for.

Carl H.

Backblaze set it and forget it until you need it.

Set it and forget it backup

Transcript

Aaron: Hi, my name is Aaron. I'm an account director and I work in the communications industry. And I...

Easy hassle free unlimited backup system

Overall I'm very happy to have Backblaze keeping my files safe.

Pros

What I like most about this software is that the backup is unlimited, as a photographer I have a lot of files that are fairly large that I need to backup. Being able to access my files easily is super helpful and has already come in handy during a hardware malfunction a few months ago.

Cons

The only downside is that you pay per computer so if I have a portable drive I have to plug it into the same computer anytime I want to back it up so I can't just log in to my Backblaze account from a shared computer to backup my portable drive.

Backblaze Back Up for Nonprofit

The biggest problem Backblaze solved was that when we had previously used another company for backing up files (which was a more cloud based system) we lost files when a staff member deleted files thinking our main account was linked to them. When in fact the files were lost because they were the original author. This was a huge loss of time having to rewrite manuals and operating documents. ...

Pros

First of all you just can't beat their price for this type of automatic back up system. Most platforms I had researched either had size limits or cost much more. For a small non-profit we were so happy (and able to sleep better at night) knowing if our computer crashed we would be safe and able to keep going.

Cons

We have had a slight issue w/ backing up our harddrive because we travel to different venues and use that same harddrive for our video footage. We just have to set really good reminders so we don't forget to plug it back in.

Relaible Cloud Storage at a fraction of a cost ..

I am very much satisfy with the B2 and their support (support team is very prompt as well as knowledgeable) .

Pros

Low cost (Because of their fair uses policy as well as no minimum storage commitment) . Easily configurable with most of the industry leading backup software. Newly added S3 support. Object locking makes it impossible to delete the backup before the retention period.

Cons

No IAM based bucket distribution like AWS.

I used this service for many years backing up data of about 2 TB

Pros

It was easy to setup and configure the software. It ran in the background unattended. It was able to dd or remove folders quickly.

Cons

The one time I needed the software to actually work for a backup it failed. It was not able to retain my existing backup when I had to reinstall Windows 10 on my desktop. I was told I needed to re-upload my entire data-set again.

Hey Brad - It can be quite annoying when one has to repush... although it can happen when 3rd party software impedes our "inherit backup state" feature. Please let us know if this continues to be an issue an we're happy to help troubleshoot

Backblaze provides the security I want

I've been very happy with Backblaze for my personal use. Since getting, I haven't had any major issues. I hate to say it's one of those set-and-forget programs, but it is. However, I do get an alert if something happened with the backup.

Pros

With Backblaze, I can control what gets backed up and when. There many file types, I don't need backed up. I can also set it up so it doesn't kick in if I'm still using the PC.

Cons

I have my backups go off nightly. However, I wish there were a way to have it integrate with Windows File Explorer so I could right-click a file to do an immediate backup. I did run into a glitch when I added another hard drive and I remapped my drive letters. It did get resolved.

Best value

From my experience, Backblaze delivers what they promise without any hassles. So, that makes me happy.

Pros

I found Backblaze had by far the best pricing structure for data backup. I use their bucket system for my customers and haven't had any problems.

Cons

I think they still need some additional tools for downloading and interacting with the data but I believe they are always working to make the product better.

Great, cost-effective option for remote backup

I've been using BackBlaze for over 2 years and haven't had any issues with the software, it does a great job notifying me when an employee's machine hasn't been backed up and does a good job of well, backing things up.

Pros

Business licensing allowed me to purchase all the licenses my team needed. The simple invite method works great. This is one of those things you should have but hope you never need

Cons

Migrating computers really isn't a thing with Backblaze. It'd be nice to have a migrate options available.

Incredible Backup Storage Provider

Customers are shocked by how cheap it is, even when I mark it up 1000%.

Pros

Price is the best thing about this product.

Cons

Support is what is lacking most about this product the most but it's exactly what you expect for the price.

Backblaze - SMB lifesaver

Very good - tech support responsive and product easy to use and runs reliably. Eliminates the reason for trying to do individual PC backups to a shared drive or removable drive that would be left in the same office. It was not difficult to convince our company owner to use this product several years ago and the need for it has become even more critical.

Pros

Install for users was quick and simple. Interface easy to understand for recovering single files. During the COVID-19 lockdowns - staff with laptops were still protected by backups when working remotely.

Cons

Only issue I had was with doing recovery via the internet. Would NOT use that method again as restore took a full week. To be fair, there are options for having data shipped on media and I would use that method in the future. Over estimated the speed and bandwidth of our connection at that time.

Set it and forget it

Generally works great without me having to do anything. But I have had issued with the backups getting desynchronized.

Pros

Once it's been set up, you rarely have to think about it. It works in the background.

Cons

Because you rarely need to think about it, if it stops working it could be a while before you notice there's an issue. Changing/deleting a bunch of files all at once can cause the backup to become desynchronized, and the only way to fix it is to uninstall and reinstall the app start the backup over from scratch.

I have been using Backblaze for several years as one of several backup methods for my work computer.

The benefit of knowing that my data is securely stored if my computer and my first line of backups fail. Lets face it, external hard drives can fail as easily as an internal hard drive. I certainly hope that I never have to recover my data in an emergency, but if I do, i feel better having made what I feel is a very reasonably priced purchase of this product.

Pros

Backblaze runs in the background and engages in backups whenever your computer is connected to the internet. It is seamless and runs in the settings part of my Mac. Backblaze allows you to encrypt your backups with the key being held only by you. While this is one of those types of software that you hope you never need to use, if you do need it you can download your data from the internet OR request...

Cons

I honestly cannot say that there is anything I dislike about Backblaze. It's an inexpensive, non-obtrusive piece of software that simply does what it's supposed to do. If you use an encryption key that Backblaze is not storing for you DO NOT lose it under any circumstance or you will NEVER get your data back without it. This is only a "con" if you lose the key.

Best Backup on the Market for Business

For our small business, the software was a huge success and came in handy when one of our back drives went bad. Setup on our server and workstations was seamless and easy to manage from any device.

Pros

The best part of this software is how easy it is to configure and setup. A few simple clicks, a private key for encryption, and it runs quietly in the background when connected to the internet uploading data as specified in your options. Cost for the amount of storage is lower than most providers without having to rely on cold storage options.

Cons

Backblaze relies on the computer state for backups, and doesn't give a huge number of options for data recovery. If you lose a file, you need to make sure to restore it before the next backup kicks in and removes the file for good. Software does not run on network drives or NAS very easily. NAS sometimes has software to integrate, but usually not a dual direction backup. Upload was pretty slow. We are on 400/400 fiber and the 600GB upload took almost 3 days.

Hey Christopher- Thanks for leaving the review! Just a quick note- Our Computer Backup software is one not intended to run on network drives or NAS devices, we have B2 Cloud Storage for those use cases. Why? Our Computer Backup service is one of the few remaining unlimited services around. By being truly unlimited, we had to draw some lines around what backing up a `computer¿ means (within the context of unlimited). So that might explain some of their haplenges you had backing up your NAS. But checkout B2! It¿s $0.05 /GB/month (1/4 of the price of S3). And is integrated into most NAS devices already. You can find more information at https://www.backblaze.com/b2/solutions/backup-and-archive.html Cheers! Ahin from Backblaze

It's great to know that you have a backup option if any of you computers lose data!

I was looking for a backup solution that suits very large files, like 30GB + game project files. Backblaze had the most competitive features and pricing. The software has been very reliable, I've had it running on a computer for 2 years straight, only turning it off for updates.

Pros

Backblaze is easy to set up, quick to back up, and reliably continues working. The pricing is very competitive. It doesn't throttle your network connections.

Cons

The software looks a bit outdated, but does what is advertised. I do have concerns that if my computer is offline for 60 days plus, the files won't be retained. It's hard to find this information with clarity for any backup service.

Hi! Thanks for being a customer. A quick response on your concern - our service is designed to retain your backup even if your computer is offline for up to 6 months. Here's a KB article on it https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/217664898-What-happens-to-my-backups-when-I-m-away-or-on-vacation- In that KB, we also discuss an option to enable "extended version history" to extend that window as well as extend the window of retention for deleted / changed files. If you have any other question, please don't hesitate to reach out to our help desk via chat or email https://www.backblaze.com/help.html

Install and forget until you need it

Compared to other programs that need to be administered, checking ans ensuring the backups are really done and up to date, Backblaze works in the background with no limits in storage and store everything in your computer that has to be stored and offers to send you your information, should you need it in a SSD

Pros

Smooth install, initial backup and operation. Really does the work wkithout the hassle, self administered, it works for you keeping your files stored and safe

Cons

Everything is fine with this product, maybe a bundle pricing could help to have more computers in the network

Great Value, but lacks robust recovery software.

Pros

The price is unbeatable at this point for unlimited storage. Versioning is fairly robust. Speed is good.

Cons

Many folks would see this as a Pro, but I'd prefer to specify directories to backup rather than files types or the "back up everything" approach here. All recovery must be done through the web interface by browsing backed up data and selecting files to be placed into zip containers of limited size. This is slow and clunky. When I had a major failure, I needed to back up several TB of data. I had to wait a week for delivery of a 2TB volume, and still had to select 10-20 zip packages in addition, keeping track of what had been restore and what had not. Obviously, this is a value service, but a non-web interface that allows for direct recovery over a fast connection would be superior for me.

Hey Marshall- Thanks for being a customer. As another option for fast downloads, checkout our dedicated downloader - circumvents much of slowness introduced by browsers. For Mac: https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/217665908-How-to-Use-the-Backblaze-Downloader-Mac- For Windows: https://www.backblaze.com/help-backblaze-downloader-win.html

Backblaze was a simple solution for what has always been a complex problem.

The peace of mind that if you're office burns down or floods and your harddrive backups and their contingency drives die you still have a backup in the cloud... It's worth the few dollars. The value per dollar is stunning with Backblaze!

Pros

Being able to have your entire database and archive in the cloud, automatically synching everyday, is a huge weight off of a company's shoulders. It's incredibly cheap for what you're receiving and the options to get your data back are very convenient. Convenience is the key to Backblaze's success. A program runs in the background and is transferring your files in the middle of the night (or whenever you set it), ease of mind with no extra work. The setup is easy and takes minutes and the updates are informative.

Cons

One issue with Backblaze is you literally need to upload ALL of your data so depending on your ISP you may hit some data limit caps. I also found the upload process to be very slow. It took a couple weeks to upload a dozen terabytes. However when it was all finished, there is no issue in keeping up with the daily influx of data.

BackBlaze is Wonderful

I've never need support in any way. BackBlaze has never failed me once. Couldn't be happier.

Pros

BackBlaze is easy to use and is integrated into JetBackup, which I love. Their pricing gives me the flexibility to store more backups than S3. Will be a user for life so long as they don't jack up the prices.

Cons

Really wish it was compatible with incremental backups. As it is now, I have to send full backups and use more space. That's not a big deal since the pricing is reasonable, but incremental would be easier on my machine.

The simplest cloud backup solution

Pros

Backblaze is very easy to get running on a new computer and has configurable bandwidth limits. It doesn't backup the OS or applications which is great since it is unnecessary. It makes sense to have physical on and off site backups as well for critical data, but backblaze is so affordable that it is a great addition and adds peace of mind without having to always worry about if physical backups are 100% up to date.

Cons

I understand that they need to put limits on some things so people don't game the system, but I wish it was possible to keep a single external HD backed up without having to keep it plugged in all the time. If the external HD is unplugged for a certain amount of days, the data from it will be cleared. For teams that travel often, they may not always be able to have that external drive plugged in.

Great backup!

It has been great. I have comfort knowing all my documents are backed up and my years worth of projects will not be lost!

Pros

Backblaze has been a lifesaver! I downloaded the software and it backs up my documents. My computer died earlier this year and I panicked. I was so worried that I lost everything, and I had never logged in to see my backed up information. I bought a new laptop and was able to successfully get all of my backed up documents, picture, etc from Backblaze. It was super comforting to know that my information was all there. years of work! I also utilized customer service and they were so helpful!

Cons

None! I have had nothing but a good experience with this software. It is well worth the cost!!! Get it today

Covers the Basics

Pros

It's easy to set up, then requires nothing to maintain. Everything functions pretty automatically. The initial upload speed was fair. It allows lots of space for backup.

Cons

It isn't very user friendly to know what files have been backed up versus which files are queued for backup. Nor is it easy to figure out how to access those files from the cloud if you ever needed to. There is no file versioning, so if you need an older version of a file, you are out of luck. The backup is also limited to whatever you have on your harddrive - it doesn't backup external harddrives, and any file that has not been on your harddrive for more than 30 days gets deleted from the backup as well.

Easy to use and affordable backup solution for multiple computers. Easy recovery too!

Pros

After setting up your preferences, Backblaze runs unobtrusively in the background without any further interactions needed. The affordable pricing structure lets me use one account to back up several computers and easily access backups via the Backblaze website. Recovery is easy to do, fast, and multiple delivery options of your data are offered if you're trying to recover larger quantities than you'd prefer to download.

Cons

There isn't an archive solution to hold even a day or twos worth of backups. Your backup is only as good as the last state of your computer, so if you accidentally delete something on your machine, you have to be sure to recover it before the next automated backup takes place.

Reliable continuous offsite backup

Pros

I like that Backblaze constantly runs in the background backing up everything that's on my Mac. Some of my co-workers can't be bothered with manually plugging in a hard drive to run a backup, so this works perfectly for them. Since I also have a local backup, I don't have a need to download my entire backup as yet. However it came in handy on a number of occasions when I needed to access a file on my Mac when I'm out.

Cons

I wish they could offer unlimited versioning of files so that I can rollback to an earlier version when something goes wrong. As of now, I'd need to combine that with other solutions like Time Machine or Dropbox Extended Version History.

The biggest success of this software is that I never have to think about it

Pros

First off, the biggest endorsement I can give for this software/service, at least for me, is that it is picked by The Wirecutter as the best online cloud backup service. The first important thing to realize is that EVERY hard drive will eventually fail. Not if, but when. So you need a backup plan. And any backup plan that requires you to remember to do something is doomed. That's where BackBlaze comes in. The setup is dead simple (easier than other services I've used, like Crashplan), and then you simply let it do it's thing and run in the background. That's it! All you need to do is relax knowing that all of your data (and I mean all--the service allows unlimited data storage) is now safely backed up offsite.

Cons

I have yet to run into any issues with this sofware and service. I fortunately have not had the need to try out their data recovery features, however, so I can't opine on the quality there yet.

Backblaze

Backblaze runs in the background of your computer and backs up additional files you add to their extensive and secure cloud system. You can choose to do a manual backup, but it automatically backs up each day that you have the computer on and operational. It's easy to use and takes away any worry of losing files.

Pros

I love Backblaze. After the initial setup, it's set-it-and-forget-it software. I also love that you can log into your account on any computer and access the files that have been backed up. It's saved me a couple of times.

Cons

They've since added a new paid tier that deals with this, but the original tier makes it so that anything that's been deleted from your computer no longer remains backed up after 30 days, so with the original tier, it's not helpful for making space on your hard drive.

Affordable option for business backup

I got tired of the regular price increases of the cloud backup solution that I had been using for years and in my research Backblaze came highly recommended, the price was right so I decided to do a trial. I have a lot of files so the initial backup took a long time but by adjusting the settings to use more bandwidth while I slept, the backup completed in a fraction of the projected time. So far...

Pros

The price is a great value when compared to the products that I had been using before. Setup was easy and straightforward and it automatically backs up new and changed files giving me peace of mind.

Cons

Customizing settings isn't as user friendly as the app that I used before. You need to log on to the website to restore files which is a small inconvenience. My old backup solution had a small icon next to files so I knew at a glance which ones were already backed up, Backblaze doesn't offer that. It isn't able to back up GSuite's File Stream Drive.