Wordpress Reviews

4.56/5 (9,686 reviews)

Vinay Kumar

Amazing blogging platform

Reviewed 2019-11-14

As a content writer and not much of a web developer, I was able to pull in a website with less complexity. Whatever I have in mind, I can put it on the design using the plugins. Even the SEO is made simple. I like wordpress and I built 5 websites on it.

Pros
I liked wordpress for the Ease of usage and the plugins. It is pretty straight forward to use the blogging platform with amazing templates and free plugins. As wordpress has a great developers community, the plugins are often of high value and serve all the needs. We need not code much and we can reuse the existing options to build the complete site. For a person who is not much into web development like me, wordpress is a great choice to build own website.

Cons
I don't have much to say on the cons side of wordpress. Everything in wordpress seems pretty easy and straight forward.

Justin Schmidt

There is a reason it is the most commonly used

Reviewed 2019-11-13

I've been on teams that have built and managed sites doing tens of millions of visits a month on heavily customized instances of WordPress, all the way down to personal pet projects that get single digit visits a month. It's the only CMS I consistently recommend.

Pros
The ecosystem built around WordPress is second to none. Every front end developer is familiar with WordPress. There are multiple plugin options for just about anything you could ever want to do. Most importantly, it's open source and therefore free. Some people are deterred by open source, but WordPress powers a third of the Internet, it isn't going anywhere.

Cons
It can be a bit of a pain in the butt to do certain things. For example, if you want to use it as a CMS for a larger site and not just a blog, the out of the box configuration needs customization. Also, they recently switched to a fundamentally new way of doing things "Gutenberg" and it is not without its warts. Over time this will improve.

Whitney Bingham

Making a Website That You Control Has Never Been Easier

Reviewed 2019-11-12

I have been very happy with WordPress. I taught myself how to navigate the platform and there are so many great resources out there for people to learn.

Pros
How quickly and easily I can set up a site for someone and teach them to manage it on their own. I hate in my industry that may developers sometimes hold sites for ransom more or less.

Cons
There is a learning curve to it but once you learn the basics you are set! I love that they offer so many plug-ins as well. You can do things that used to take a fortune to get coded all yourself.

Site Antipas

WordPress overall review

Reviewed 2019-11-02

- I can't miss out on the chance to recommend WordPress to anyone. You kind of don't "re-invent the wheel" anymore (coding from scratch). It helps me save time and energy in creating a website for my clients rather than creating it from scratch. WordPress is generic, meaning it suits the need for any kind of website you may want to create (blog, eCommerce, portfolio, organizational, etc)

Pros
- Using WordPress is one of the easiest and fastest ways to set up a website without the need for extra cost for an experienced Web Developer. - WordPress being a free Content Management System (CMS) handles a lot of things for you. For example Security, Performance, File uploads, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and many more. - As a part-time Freelance Web Developer, I can actually create any category of a website for my clients, ranging from personal to blog to eCommerce to organizational without having to code anything from scratch. This saves me a lot of time and energy. - It is widely used and very popular, powering millions of websites. This makes it easy to have online assistance just by Googling the technical issue you face. - WordPress comes with free and paid website templates that can be integrated directly and has thousands of plugins that permits me to add more functionalities to my clients' websites, all these without coding. Some of these added functionalities include contact form submission, user registration, accepting online payments, newsletter and many more. - It is so easy to customize or update content found on any webpage of your website. - One of the greatest features of WordPress is the ability for multiple admin users to be able to work on the website with their accounts created and their roles defined as it is the case in our company (our main university website is powered by WordPress)

Cons
- WordPress requires a database to run. - WordPress is widely used (powers millions of websites). This makes it vulnerable as a security flaw could be discovered and exploited by malicious individuals.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Zee Gimon

My favorite tool for creating websites

Reviewed 2019-10-29

I love it. As a non-coder, but at the same time, a person who deals with websites a lot, I like WordPress because it allows me to meet the needs in terms of marketing.

Pros
I have been working with WordPress for years now. My own personal blog is over 10 years old. I love WordPress for its ultimate versatility and user-friendliness. I've created several sites for various companies using WordPress.org and it has been super-easy to maintain them. I have used both WordPress.com and WordPress.org, and they are both great (I do prefer the .org one since it gives the opportunity to import custom plugins and themes). Most of the themes offer a drag-n-drop design option which is convenient for those who need a website but don't know how to code. The SEO is also great with plugins such as YOAST and others.

Cons
Sometimes when the platform version updates, you need to be careful with updating your website because it might crash. I have had that happen a few times and it was a stressful time. Thankfully I had backups. Therefore, beware of those updates - whether it's your theme, or WordPress itself, or your plugins. ALWAYS have the backup. (That's good in any case.)

Anthony Eshun

Wordpress Review

Reviewed 2019-10-06

I see it as a tool for making online publishing and marketing more easy and interesting. I have been able to solve a number of dangerous attacks on my website by simpling looking at the activity log and responding immediately by contacting my host or fixing it myself.

Pros
Wordpress software alone makes my blogging experience easy and convenient. With just a click I would have the quickest update about my traffic statistics. There is no single day I don't use WordPress software to check my website's performance and security issues. I enjoy using it a great deal because of the following reasons: 1. Activity log to find out if there is a strange action from a hacker or anything unrelated to my most recent activities. 2. I get daily, monthly and yearly insights about my website's visitors, their locations, the particular pages visited, the referral link like Google, Bing, etc. I don't necessarily need to rely on google analytics 3. This software gives me an instant notification about new comments, trackbacks and anytime there is a boost in my traffic. 4. It makes me feel secure because of their 2-factor authentication. I confirm my identity through my phone number. 5. I have been noticing regular updates adding new features and making it more user-friendly. 6. I have been able to use the android version of this software happily whiles I was having no access to a PC for more than one year. Because the software's user interface makes it more enjoyable than using a browser itself. Now I use it on my laptop and my phone altogether.

Cons
Since I moved my website from WordPress.com to wordpress.org I haven't been able to publish an article using this software. The major problem I have been encountering is about having an error message anytime I try to upload a media file like a photo. The error message says: "failed to insert media. Please try again." It frustrates me a lot but I believe because I am no more hosting my website with Wordpress. I transferred my website to a different host. Because of this, I do all my publications using wordpress.com which is my self-hosting platform. Finally, since I moved to a self-host, I haven't been able to have direct control over my plugins via the WordPress software.

OSWALDO REYES

WordPress Is For Winners

Reviewed 2019-10-05

WordPress is the site to visit if you going to start your very own website or blog.Their prices are reasonable and the best domain names are always available. WordPress will teach you the fastest and best ways to start a blog or website.WordPress will also teach you how to monetize your blog or website. WordPress offers a online 10 part course that teaches how to create a fantastic blog or website, totally free.When i started building my blog through WordPress i was a beginner. I did not know anything about building a blog or website. I learned so much with the WordPress 10 part online course. I also began watching and studying other free WordPress webinars on how to generate passive income using my blog. In time i was making a passive yet steady income from my blog. WordPress is the best site [platform] to purchase your domain and hosting. I give WordPress a 5 star rating and i highly recommend WordPress.

Pros
What i liked the most about this software was how easy it is to use. Anyone can actually do it. Anyone

Cons
I found nothing that i disliked about this software.

Sacha Sulpasso

Professional websites for (almost) every need

Reviewed 2019-09-27

Adopting Wordpress as a solution for your customers that need a website, is a mandatory choice: setting up the environment is a matter of minutes, the server requirements are common and available on almost any web hosting service, the community behind Wordpress is really huge and, with standard design and programming skills, you can really pack wonderful products. The core of Wordpress (the starting package) has a lot, but the full power of the framework is unleashed thanks to the plugin architecture and the template system (themes). Plugins add almost any kind of functionality: from social media needs to showcases and e-commerce; from impressive sliders to portfolios and newsletters. Themes (the template system) allow you to design truly effective communication: modern themes are designed to allow users to craft their website with an incredible detail, providing end users with the most beautiful experience. As of today, you can install a theme and setup any kind of template, for any section of your website. Not only: Wordpress is greatly devoted to web standards and trends and it looks perfect on desktop computers, tablets and smartphones. We jumped on Wordpress since the first version, back in 2003. Since then, while implementing other solutions for huge online stores, we could provide a solution for small and medium enterprises at an incredibly affordable price. And this is really a great advantage: everyone can get a professional and effective product. Thumbs up!

Pros
Server requirements are minimal and available at a small price from any web hosting service. Plugins architecture allow you to add almost any functionality to the website and easily write one, if you need a specific tool. Template system - the so called "themes" - allow you to craft incredibly beautiful and responsive - looking perfect on any device - design. A huge community of developers makes sure you can solve problems fast. Websites can be up and running in almost no time. And can be updated and maintained by any designer/programmer, thanks to its architecture and ease of use. Your customers can update the website easily, with an intuitive and easy to use backend. Last but not least - at all! - as a developer and designer you can provide great products that are absolutely cost-effective.

Cons
If you have to run a complex online store, with a lot of products and categories, thousands of visitors and specific e-commerce needs, Wordpress might not be the perfect choice. But if you provide solutions for personal, small and medium businesses, this won't be a problem at all.

George Rex Azubuike

The Most Usable and Feature-Rich CMS Ever

Reviewed 2019-09-25

WordPress has evolved over the years, from a simple blogging tool to a sophisticated content development framework that can be used to build any kind of web system, including mobile. This incredible evolutionary fact has indeed increased its usability and have made me to continually horn my skills and experiences in this piece of software. Also, the fact that WordPress is Opensource and provides opportunity for extending its functions, gives rise to lots of useful plugins in its ecosystem.

Pros
For the fact that WordPress is flexible, simple to use and sophisticated to handle large projects at the same time, I can not help but love WordPress the more.

Cons
Most plugins and themes in the repository are not totally checked for conformity. Some of these plugins and themes are poorly coded and as such creates vulnerability concerns; allowing malicious inclusions and attacks on a standing website built on the framework.

Stacy Meyer

Anyone can build their own website

Reviewed 2019-09-19

I'm not new to building websites. I used to use Joomla and phpbb to build sites. I actually got fairly good at it. One day I decided to try Wordpress. I was concerned, as I didn't wish to build a blog. I always considered Wordpress blog software. I soon was very surprised that it goes well beyond blogs. It is one of the easiest to use to build your own website.

Pros
This software is beyond user friendly. With a small amount of research, you can build a professional looking website. This saves a purchaser a large amount of money. paying someone to build your site is very costly, and some non-for-profits simply don't have the capital to do so.

Cons
Unfortunately, Wordpress has always had a spam issue. Every contact form from Wordpress is constantly hit with spam. You can use captcha to offset the spam and use some plugins made to stop the spam, but there are always a few that slip through.

Jake Hundley

The Best CMS Out There

Reviewed 2019-08-15

I would choose no other platform for my website. I've built and managed sites on Wix, Squarespace, Shopify, and more. WordPress is by far the best CSM out there, especially for SEO. That's all our agency uses for our clients' sites. And if they're not on WordPress, we encourage them to migrate.

Pros
The best thing about WordPress is the amount of functionality and control it offers over your website. There's nothing you can't do with it. Since their CMS is an OpenSource platform and the most widely used CMS, just about every host out there can host your WordPress site. On the note of it being OpenSource, you're not bound to the first party features of the CMS like you would be with Wix or Squarespace. You can find a 3rd-party plugin for literally anything you need your site to do without having to have any website development background.

Cons
There is a learning curve to getting started, I'll admit. It takes anyone a decent amount of time to get going on the platform and really understand what they're doing. With that being said, there are tons of resources out there. All it takes is a little time investment to master your WordPress site. If you don't have anyone teach you how to operate the backend of the site, it can seem not very intuitive.

melissa nordell

good website product

Reviewed 2019-08-08

Overall I really like it - it is just inconsistency with customer service that wastes time

Pros
I like the ease of use and customer service is available in a variety of ways. It is easy for a non-developer and looks professional. Easy to add purchase or donate button. Over all I really like it

Cons
Some of the web pages are hard to change. One customer service agent told me to do it one way and actually changed some things themselves - but it was wrong and very difficult to change. The next customer service agent said it was set up wrong to begin with so those pages had to almost be deleted altogether. Also, there are many answers to the same question I found out - differing customer service agents will send instructions and links to differing ways of doing the same thing. Also, some customer service agents do not read the question in chat - it takes repeating the same question or giving the same answer several times as they do not take time to read

Jemma Collins

The only option I'd use for my website for my start-up

Reviewed 2019-06-09

I used Wordpress to host my start-up Journo Resources and it's been a well functioning and customisable solution. It was easy to set up, I'm able to do the majority of it myself, and I've found it easy to integrate the work of outside developers. As my business is based entirely online, it's important for me to have a lot of control, and this helps me to do this is a customisable way.

Pros
There are a number of features I'm a big fan of on Wordpress.org, mainly centred around ease of use, customisation: • This is one of the easiest pieces of kit to set up in terms of your website, and they're very good at walking you through how to tie it all together when you're starting out. • It's intuitive, so you don't have to spend a lot of time explaining to people what they need to do, and there are good (and customisable) permission levels so you can make sure the right people have access to the right things. • The platform is free! All you need to pay for is your own hosting. • It's incredibly customisable. There are no shortage of Wordpress developers out there if you're looking for a custom build, and there are thousands of plug-ins and themes which can sort you out if you're looking for an out of the box solution. For the most part, I don't need anyone else to look at the website on a day to day basis, and am able to effectively manage it myself.

Cons
There is a ratings system on the plug-ins, but it would be good to make this more robust. Generally, though, I'm very happy with the service.

Chase Palmer, CISSP

Perfect Tools for Building a Website Without Coding Skills

Reviewed 2019-05-28

We have been very happy with WordPress for our use. We are a small organization and don't have any coding skills, so we needed something that we could use, update, manage without a lot of prior knowledge. We've had to make a lot of changes to Wordpress in order to keep is secure, and Wordpress is making large strides to help simplify this.

Pros
Wordpress was very simple to set up and get going. There are a lot of great templates to get started and lots of great plugins to use. Without any coding skills, we were able to get a fully functioning website up and running in a matter of hours, rather than days, months, or years.

Cons
There is a lot of maintenance and when you need to start customizing things beyond what your template or plugins are able to do for you, it can be really difficult. Wordpress was obviously created as a blogging platform, but has widely been used as a web designer. It is pretty clear that there are limitations when it comes to using Wordpress as a full website.

Jason Ward

Easy, fast, ridiculously customizable

Reviewed 2019-05-24

Years ago, when I first started using WordPress, it was because I'd been doing the occasional client website from scratch for many years. HTML, coded by hand, graphic and colors layouts, etc. Eventually it no longer made sense, especially as we moved into the era of working with databases, caching systems, etc. It just made sense to find a solution that already had that backend in place, rather than reinventing the wheel every time. So I tried several systems: Drupal, Joomla, and others, before finally coming to WordPress. When I finally tried it, it was a revelation: lots of clear documentation, a massive community of users who help each other through the learning curve and the assorted issues that inevitably appear, more plugins and themes than you could ever imagine. I stumbled a bit with the learning curve back then, though mind you, this was at least a decade ago. WordPress, in the time since, has become so easy to setup that most web hosts these days will, in fact, do it automatically at the press of a button if that's what you wish. Basic setup couldn't be any easier, in my estimation, and for a lot of people, that will be enough. If you're a more advanced user, however, there will be plenty of opportunities for you to extend the system's capabilities. Beyond plugins, there are also countless cloud services that integrate with WordPress in various ways. For example, FreshWorks offers a number of systems, such as help desk ticketing, live customer support chat, etc.

Pros
I've been using WordPress for many years, and the thing I like most is that it's constantly evolving, changing, becoming more than it was. Year after year, absolutely without fail, WordPress becomes a more sophisticated, more streamlined, more functional system for managing websites, and I can't recommend it enough.

Cons
Like any software system, WordPress has a learning curve that can be a little challenging if you're new to the world of Content Management Systems. You'll hear a lot about all that WP can do, and it's true, but often, that functionality comes via plugins or custom built themes you'll have to add yourself. It's not hard, and if you're an experienced web person, you'll get it easily, but for the newbie it might be a challenge. Don't worry, you can manage it, though.

Anonymous

Create, communicate and manage easily!

Reviewed 2019-05-08

Wordpress is a platform designed to create personal blogs in a basic and simple way, especially since it is free and there is a great advantage when considering savings for your company ... It is a fast and efficient solution for those who seek to have a personal space as a blog where you can describe your opinions, thoughts or any other content that you consider appropriate, including as a catalog for simple sales that links to other applications is very useful. However; it is not a solution designed for complex digital projects such as a website with certain features, an online store or any other type of web page that contains certain programming features.

Pros
Its source code is accessible by anyone, which can be shared and modified to contribute to its development; that is, it is "open source". It's free, it allows you to download it without having to pay a dollar for downloading the source code. All the resources that WordPress offers are free, including: the core (your source code), thousands of templates of designs to decorate your website, along with thousands of plugins. Setting up WordPress is simple, it only requires filling a couple of data such as the name of the site, the general slogan that will be used, the email, and you will be ready to continue working on your site. One of the features that most caught my attention was the migration of hosting, has simple ways to migrate to other web hosting providers.

Cons
Limited changes in the web page, since Wordpress allows us to modify texts and images in a relatively comfortable way, but there are certain changes that are not available to the user because they are part of additional codes of the template and we can only change programmatically. In the "Editor" option in Wordpress we can access several layouts and style files to modify some contents of the web page, although if you do not master HTML, CSS, JavaScript or PHP you will have problems when making these changes. It usually leads to load problems in some of its topics because there are plugins that consume many resources. Depending on the subject we use and the hosting where we have hosted the website, the load will be more or less fast.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Anonymous

Default option for any level of professional website

Reviewed 2019-05-07

I have been using Wordpress since it was first released. I gave up on it for years and then returned to it when it was becoming more of a CMS. I got frustrated with the limited development of important apps at the time like Buddypress and gave up again other than for blogging and if a client specifically wanted WP. Joomla is a lot better conceived as a CMS. Before WP and Joomla, I used phpNuke, post-nuke, xaraya, mambo and several other CMS and have since used or tested most of the contemporary options such as Drupal.

Pros
Best availability and quality of support available from third party products. For almost all needs there is a Wordpress option to plugin or API and there are quality developers always available.

Cons
It has become the default CMS. As a CMS it is not as elegant or modular as it should be and it was not designed to be a CMS but because of the other benefits it offers it is now the best option as a CMS.

Anonymous

Need a Website? WordPress is the One for You!

Reviewed 2019-05-07

WordPress's freely available website builder has allowed us to create a feature-filled website to which we can add, remove, or change information at a whim through quick access via computer or mobile to the website administration portal. Users can manage or post using both the web interface and the mobile app, which was incredibly useful to us. It has helped us achieve an online presence at a fraction of the cost compared to other platforms.

Pros
WordPress itself is offered for free as an open source tool (although they do also sell hosting plans and domain names if required). Its website administration portal is very easy to navigate and contains a wealth of help and support information in case you get stuck. There is a large collection of free website layout templates available that can be customised to your liking, as well as a large stock of free user-created plugins in order to add additional functionality to your website (for instance adding custom maintenance pages or contact forms). You can use the WordPress mobile app to manage your website, view visitor statistics, and post to your website.

Cons
Although WordPress itself is freely available to create websites with as an open source tool, they do also sell website hosting plans and domain names on their website; their pricing however is not as competitive compared to other website hosting companies such as GoDaddy or Wix. Recent updates to WordPress include a new post editing interface called 'Gutenberg', which is a radical redesign that may not sit well with those who have experience with and are used to the traditional editing interface of previous versions. Website layouts are somewhat basic using stock design layouts, this can be improved upon by purchasing layout modifying plugins.

Rosa Gonzalez

My experience with WordPress

Reviewed 2019-05-04

WordPress was a good and nice experience for me, and it definetely satisfied my blogging needs. I can´t say it was always smooth, specially when trying to customize my blog, but generally speaking I liked it a lot, specially the statistic data it provides for you and the community. I met a lot of really cool people from different countries through this site that shared my interests and published similar things to mine and that was a very enriching experience. My articles and stories got a fairly good traffic, all things considered, and I can say it mantains the time-money-value balance. Would encourage you to give it a try if you don´t mind taking your time to understand the settings.

Pros
I used WordPress for blogging for almost two years. It was a personal blog in which I published opinion pieces and short stories mostly and my experience was generally good. I really like the fact that you can select from a varity of templates that are actually nice and aesthetic, unlike other sites and softwares that provide you ten templates at most of them kind of ugly. It allows a certain flexibility to personalize your site and to rearrange the templates. I also like that you can save entries and program them to automatically get published at a specific date and time, which is super useful. The community in general is nice and wide, you can find blogs of every topic and people that share your interests, which is really cool. It also has very nice options to show you the statistics of your site, like how many people are visiting your blog, how did they find it, which words they googled to find your articles, etc. That information is really useful to improve your site´s traffic. I would go back to WordPress without a doubt if I ever started blogging again.

Cons
I did not love the blog administrator interface. I think it can be more intuitive. Sometimes I struggled to understand how to edit certain aspects of my blog, because I just could not find the option. I said before that you can edit and rearrange your template, and this is really cool, but sometimes it can be tricky to understand how to do it or to get exactly the look you are going for. You move something to the right and suddenly it is back again in the left and you don´t even know why. Templates misbehave. Or they did back in my blogging days. Still, if you have enough time and patience, or you are not that much of a perfectionist, you can probably overlook this cons, they are not that big of a deal.

Anonymous

Wordpress - Best tool for putting up a website in seconds

Reviewed 2019-04-28

I have used wordpress for putting up several friend and customers websites when I was working a IT project manager for one of my previous employer. It has helped shortening the deployment time of customer's. I work with this CMS for over than 6 years now and I would say it is the perfect fit for almost 90% of website design projects with the myriad of templates and plugins already available out there.

Pros
Support - The good thing about WordPress is the fact is wide used and widely supported by hosting companies. There is not a single website hosting provider that I know that is not supporting WordPress. Easy Installation: On most of the hosting providers, you simply have to fill a form and in one click get WordPress installed on your website. This is very useful for non-technical people. Easy website management: No need to be an IT guru to install wordpress and start publishing pages on the web in few minutes. Wordpress backend administration interface helps creating and editing webpages in few clicks. The only thing an administrator needs to know is how to login on the backend administration interface, create empty pages, and add contents including text, images, videos and finally publish it. Plugins: There is a plugin for almost everything you need to do on wordpress. There is a very strong community of developers designing useful plugins and publishing them on wordpress. Support: The WordPress community is really wide and active and for almost all bugs you will encounter, there is an already existing fix.

Cons
Some plugins are very sensitive to WordPress updates. This sometimes leads to a site breakdown until the problem plugin is fixed or WordPress is downgraded to the working version. This cannot really be imputed to WordPress, but to plugin owners, but a better coordination of WordPress update release and major plugin owners would make it really the best CMS to all website builders.

Petrus Vermaak

Great place to start your own site

Reviewed 2019-04-17

WordPress is a great place to start for people getting their feet wet in having their own website. It has lots of features and options and the support community and documentation out there is fast and well established. It might not be for everyone, but I would recommend anyone new to the scene to start here. They will learn so much, even if they decide to move to another platform later on. The upside is that once it's set up, you do not need to pay hosting fees to a 3'rd party company. So you can really build something wonderful with little or no money.

Pros
A lot of support documentation and help available out there, as many people are using it. You can do it all for free, or on a shoe string budget, if you are patient enough, as there is a steep learning curve. No matter what you can think of, someone is probably doing it already with a WordPress site out there somewhere, so you just have to keep looking till you find the right info/help. Many hosting sites come WordPress 'ready' so you can have a fully installed site in seconds. A ton of plugins out there, and a lot of them are free... So you can ultimately get what you want/need provided you are willing to experiment, read and try a lot of them.

Cons
A bad plugin can break the entire site, and then is not always a simple click to roll back. Sometimes plugins do not work together, and there is no easy way to determine root cause or how to resolve. It's well known, so hackers often find vulnerabilities. That being said, you can always install some security plugins, and go with a hosting site that offers WordPress security. While you do not need to know how to code, you're going to have to learn some stuff, like making site backups, fixing security vulnerabilities and speeding up the site load time. Fortunately there is a lot of good info out there to help with all of this.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Matt Abraxas

Best Web Platform Available and Worth the Learning Curve

Reviewed 2019-04-16

Wordpress is without exception the best web design platform available. If you require a blog that you'd like to customize or monetize, you need Wordpress. If you have require a business website that outranks competitors on Google search, you need Wordpress. There are few cases that I would recommend a different platform.

Pros
This review is about Wordpress.org, not Wordpress.com which is the free site (they have paid versions too though). I've built over a hundred sites with Wordpress. I've also built them from scratch in PHP and HTML, and with Wix and Squarespace, so I do have experience with the gamut of web design. Wordpress is by far the most versatile and widely used web design platform out there. Because it is so ubiquitous, it has the most available resources. There are thousands of themes so you don't have to create your site from a blank canvas. Many of these are free and those that do cost usually are very inexpensive. Plugins like Yoast that help your site's search engine optimization or plugins like Redirect which allow you to fix broken links or redirect a page you no longer want attracting traffic to a new page. And then there's the overall SEO of the site, which is where Wordpress truly excels over any other platform. Wordpress structures it's pages and posts in such a way that if you're willing to take advantage of it, Google will reward the site with a higher ranking. Also, Wordpress, unlike competitor platforms like Wix or Squarespace, is free! Many of the themes and most of the plugins are free too.

Cons
Wordpress doesn't have many cons, but here are the few: • Domain registry and hosting is handled separately, by you. • Customizing your site can definitely be challenging. It's not as easy as the competitor platforms. • Site speed can be slow when you want to have a lot of background video. It's slow on any platform, but with Wordpress, it's extra slow. Only with excessive video background though, not at all in other cases.

Nigel Masimba Rodgers

The WordPress Community Makes it the Best CMS

Reviewed 2019-04-02

I've been using WordPress since 2016 and it has been an amazing journey. An important note to make is the difference between WordPress the software ( wordpress.org or dotorg) and WordPress the hosting service ( wordpress.com or dotcom ). Dot org is the project website where you can download the WordPress software to install on any hosting provider of your choice ( apart from wordpress.com ). Dotcom is a hosting service provider that is run Automattic, the company of WordPress project co-founder. I've had an overall positive experience with WordPress even though it has hit a few speed bumps in the past year, mainly due to the project to introduce a new editing interface. The new WordPress editor has caused a lot of conflict within the WordPress community however, I believe the new editor will ensure WordPress' relevance in future. I highly recommend WordPress for almost every website on the internet. if someone argue against it due to a proprietary system, I would suggest a headless setup where WordPress only handles the display of data, while a proprietary system handles the manipulation of data.

Pros
The most important thing about WordPress is the community! People who are passionate about WordPress have formed a vast network of online communities that communicate online and also meetup regularly in person. The WordPress community gives members support, training, and motivation. WordPress has a low barrier to entry. No matter your skill level or goals WordPress has an entry point for everyone. WordPress has the slogan "Code is Poetry", which can be interpreted as meaning that code is beautiful to everyone in different ways. Whether you're a beginner, writer, web developer, or advanced coder you can use WordPress to achieve your goals at or beyond your initial skill level with relative ease. WordPress is highly flexible thanks to its theme and plugin system. Plugins allow you to add custom functionality to a website. You can download free plugins from the WordPress repository or get advanced premium plugins with all the bells and whistles you need. Themes allow you to change the appearance of a site. There are thousands of free, awesome WordPress themes, as well as paid themes that add extra finesse to the design of websites. WordPress is free. The basic WordPress software is free to download and do whatever you want with it. For services like domains, hosting, or additional functionality you may still have to pay, depending on the service provider.

Cons
Unless someone built a website for you, you have to manage WordPress on your own. This can be challenging when you want to perform the core functions of your business and maintain a website as well. Adding customization can also be challenging however, WordPress is less challenging than most of its competitors. WordPress has a lot of unnecessary legacy bloat. It often maintains support for outdated software to ensure backwards compatibility. This isn't a problem for ordinary users however, it can be challenging for developers who are new to WordPress. WordPress requires regular updates of themes, plugins an WordPress itself. This can be a nuisance. You can automate the updates but this adds the risk of site downtime in the event of incompatible third-party updates. While WordPress typically very secure vulnerabilities are sometimes revealed in the WordPress core code or third-party add-ons. Patches are usually added quickly, though. Some may prefer proprietary systems where vulnerabilities are not available to the general public. In December 2019 a major update to WordPress was released along with version 5.0, which caused a bit of turmoil within the ecosystem. While I believe the update will benefit WordPress in the long run, there has been a lot of discussion as to whether the update was executed well or if at all was necessary. The conflict revolves around the introduction of a new editor sometimes called the Gutenberg editor. You may want to look it up.

Anonymous

Great for fussy UI people and amateurs alike

Reviewed 2019-03-28

WordPress is a large part of my business - developing it for clients with businesses. I have also worked on web platforms such as Wix, Squarespace, and Shopify. And the last 2 are pretty good! Once people have those kinds of sites up and running, however, I find them wanting customizations to their sites that are not possible on those platforms. Had they set up their sites using WordPress, it would have. Clearly, I enjoy working on WordPress sites a lot!

Pros
The reason why I turned to WordPress expertise was because basically everyone else started to, too! The benefit of this is that people of all talents are creating all sorts of apps (called plugins) that have great functions and features for it. Same thing for the themes (that's the look of the site). There's nothing that can't be done with WordPress. Basic awesome websites. Amazing multi-functional enterprise-level websites. Even if you're not an expert, and don't have high demands for your website to ... build a rocket ship for you... you can still enjoy using it and getting your business or your artwork out to the people.

Cons
Funny enough, the thing that makes it so great can also be a thorn in the side. Just because your WordPress site can do all these cool things such as connect people from your site to an autoreponder email list, or accept payments via Paypal easily, it does not also mean that removing other keystrokes/steps for other functions is as easy. So website owners who love their WordPress sites and want the sites to be even more efficient, to do more things automatically, often come across this tricky situation where 'customization' is required. And that means testing, time, and money. Sometimes significant amounts. Customization is open ended. The sky is the limit to what your website can do. But just because it offers a whole lot of cool features out of the box doesn't mean that adding to those features is easy. That's something I run into a lot with clients. The other thing is that the high level of free offerings of apps (again, called plugins) means your website will be able to do a bunch of cool things for free. But you have to be somewhat aware of your site on a regular basis to make sure that the plugins remain up to date and don't cause conflicts with other parts of the website. Regular maintenance does not have to be a big deal or cost at all. But if you don't do it, the costs can become huge when you have to clean something up.

Delia Scales

Why I use WordPress for all my websites

Reviewed 2019-03-27

I am an ex nurse who had never touched a website. As a total web novice I learned how to communicate a message about problems with the healthcare industry. I gradually learnt about embedding images, then videos, then podcasts and PDF's. As the information I wished to give people grew, I was always able to find a WordPress plugin or theme to give me the power that normally would only belong to full stack developers. Now I share large amounts of data on my site, embed multimedia and share information easily on social media sites. I have done inexpensive online courses on WordPress, but am basically self-taught. I am very grateful to WordPress for having made web communication available to everybody. WordPress now powers 1/4 of the world's websites. Anytime I have an issue, there is a huge community of users who have cheerfully created uTube videos and tutorials, explaining how to fix virtually every problem.

Pros
In one word - community. WordPress is supported by a huge global community. While the software is a MySQL database, it's open source framework allows developers from around the world to build free and very low cost software add ons, or 'plugins'. WordPress powers eCommerce sites, Newspapers, Directories, Music sites, podcasts and more. From a single page advertising a coffee shop to an online store selling thousands of items, WordPress has the capability to communicate your digital message to the world, in any language, any format and connecting to any major platform.

Cons
If you don't write code, WordPress gives you a 'go between', a content management system that looks like word processing software to the user, but generates the appropriate HTML, CSS, PHP, JAVASCRIPT behind the scenes. Unlike traditional coding software like dreamweaver that use FTP (file transfer protocol) to update your site on the server, WordPress updates are done directly (and continuously) from your WordPress dashboard. This gives a more intimate feel but a slower work load. WordPress started out as blogging software and that beginning unpins its current format. Some plugins are buggy, will clash with other plugins and can even break your site. Sticking with mainstream ones (that often require a minimal payment) is safest.