eClinicalWorks Logo

Electronic medical records for the healthcare sector

eClinicalWorks Reviews

Suggested alternatives

athenaclinicals
nextgen-ambulatory-ehr
charm-ehr

The ability to choose and make templates is great, the auto populate features are helpful as well and copying and pasting into and out of charts is easy enough and saves time.
I would like to give Renzi Russell and especially Tara Carney much of the recognition they deserve for providing excellent customer service and a fantastic knowledge of their positions.
Overall experience is great this program is excellent for patent care and client dr relations.
This review is true and result of the pain Eclinical causing our office after 2 months. Horrible, Horrible Horrible Custemor service and you can never talk to any supervisor.
If you hate your very existence on this earth then definitely use eCW for your EMR. I would rather be in prison.
It makes the overall patients experience confusing and horrible from the glitchy portal to the wrong reminders. There are so many things wrong with this product.

SD

Savannah D.

Office Manager

Post Go-Live Implementation is a headache

Transcript

Savannah D.: Hi, my name is Savannah. I'm an office manager. I would give eClinicalWorks a 3 out of 5...

sM

stephen M.

Clinic & Special projects Adminstrator

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Good Features in eClinicalWorks

Transcript

Stephen: This is Stephen. I'm the special project administrator. And I will give eClinicalWorks three...

An amazing software to use for a medical office who wants everything in one place!

Pros

I love that this software has everything you need in one spot. You no longer have to open 2 or 3 programs, because this does it all! You can view the schedule, look up a patients medical records and visits, and view all their information/notes in one place. It is easy to use once you get the hang of it. Customer service is very quick to respond to you when placing a ticket and make sure to quickly resolve any issues you might have. This software has so many more features compared to other softwares I have used and you have so many options when scheduling someone.

Cons

The layout of this software is very confusing to say the least. It has so many great features, but everything is very scattered. It took me months to learn all the reports you could run and all the billing features. The medical records would get very frustrating at times because certain things that were entered in would not save at times and just disappear. This software is also expensive, but I will say you are able to accomplish so many things so it is worth it.

Shoshana Malka L.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

eclinical review by medical practice

I use eclinical every day. I look over patients notes, I put in authorization status in the charts, I review the testing and I use the templates to put in the testing based on the doctors notes. I also look over the schedule to see which patients will be coming in each day. It's a great platform, very robust with a lot of features and easy to jump in and start using for someone new.

Pros

Eclinical is a great software. We use it for our medical practice for visit notes, internal notes, billing, faxes and medications.

Cons

We do need to use excel spreadsheets to keep track of certain things. There is no easy way to track the authorization process. I also don't like the way telephone notes are set up, it's not arranged for the workflow of the office staff but it's great for the doctors seeing the patients and for the storing of the records. Because so many platforms are not hipaa compliant I wish Eclinical had more of a way for the office staff to collaborate, to message each other, to have more crm features. For the medical features it does a great job though

RH

Robin H.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

No enough space to write down all the complaints about this software and their support staff

Troublesome from the start. Training was awful and we paid for 2 separate training classes for our employees. They were charging us for things that they didn't even have set up. We finally hirer an IT/Rn person that could help us with this program. Our employee is constantly telling ECW tech people what they need to do because they have no clue and we don't have the access to make the changes. We asked ECW many time to open our system so we can do what we need to and they stated that we would have to pay an additional $7000 to $10,000.

Pros

Don't know because this technical staff has no idea what they are doing not to mention all the things they've messed up like making our doctors templates disappear, to reporting our MIP's to the government incorrectly. We have everything documented and screen shot and will be turning over our findings to the Dept. of Justice and Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General. Along with the Attorney General of the Justice Departments Civil Division.

Cons

This is our breaking point when ECW employees do not know how to do they're jobs and now has affect the reputation of our Surgeons by reporting our MIP's to a government office as a group when we were clearly supposed to be reported as individual doctors. So instead of our MIP's score being above 90 on all our doctors they are now publicly score as 7.17. This will now not only make us lose money we should have received from the government but can actually cost us money on our reimbursements. We have spent all morning on the phone with QPP to try to correct this error and are getting no support for ECW. We have tried all morning to reach out to people at ECW and no one will take our call. WE ARE NOW TALKING THIS IS OUR SURGEONS REPUTATION TO ARE AFFECTING!!!!!

WS

William S.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

DO NOT EVER BUY THIS SOFTWARE

Eclinical charged me for a nurse practitioner every month for 5 years after she left. They canceled her but they did not cancel the billing. I was unaware as I was not receiving invoices. When I finally got the company to send invoices they were very vague and hard to understand. They are refusing to give me a refund. I canceled another doctor just 2 months ago, and they did the same thing! They charged me for him the very next month after he left. I called them on it, and they said that since the invoice was already paid by direct withdrawal, that I would not get a refund. I immediately stopped their ability to remove money from my account directly

Pros

Nothing. I found out they settled a case with the DOJ for LYING about their product. The entire company is unethical.

Cons

The software has tons of errors. I have to report them individually by opening a ticket via a different web page. Regardless of how obvious the error is, they insist on calling you on the phone and logging into your computer without at least trying to check it out themselves. Then, nothing ever gets fixed.

Kerri P.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

What's In Eclinicalworks For You?

Overall our company has been well pleased with Eclinicalworks, it has assisted in helping us know what areas need improvement for reporting, organized in one system tasks for tracking, assisting the provider in knowing what is being billed and received, and just changed the way that things are done in our practice. I do agree there are a few hiccups, but as they change a little each month more and more of those minor problems are worked out. Plus if you encounter an issue you can check their website for knowledge prior to creating a ticket and watch a simple self-explanatory how-to video.

Pros

Eclinicalworks is an all inclusive software. I love the fact that you can send messages to staff and track whether or not they have worked and the general way the software works. It has a fax inbox, document box, prescription box, and a great way of tracking progress in all areas.

Cons

I will say there are a couple of downsides to using eclinicalworks but the pluses definitely outweigh the minuses. If you have any issues a ticket must be made and you must await a call back for issues to be resolved, and the billing cannot just be batched at the end of every day and billed, each claim must be touched. But the upside to this is that this eliminates errors as you must look at every claim. It does take a little more time but you have fewer errors.

MT

Maya T.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

They dont follow the signed contract

Things turned sour when I was leaving E clinical works. I had specifically negotiated the records issue when I signed the contract. Verbally they said it would not be a problem, they would provide it on a flash drive. No cost is mentioned on the contract and I made sure of that. Well, they now demand that they receive payment- a crazy amount for just 2 1/2 yrs of patient records. Its been 4 months....

Pros

The EHR itself is ok after we learned to navigate. However this is negated by the Tech support experience.

Cons

Tech support was extremely frustrating. They are not well trained and this wastes your time. All are in India, some with bad accents that staff really don't want to deal with. You can never call them as they don't have the confidence to take your call. Each item that may all be connected still needs a separate case to be made and they call you back based on their convenience often when you are seeing patients. Overall exhausting experience

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Slow performance makes for an uncomfortable office

I believe the price is what draws my customers to use eClinicalWorks; from experience in troubleshooting it I do not believe performance is a determining factor.

Pros

-Very intuitive -Works well in all types of medical offices -24/7 support, which is a must for this program

Cons

-24/7 support is outsourced, sometimes causing communication issues -I receive constant complaints that software is slow and not performing well regardless of if the end user is on a local server installation or using eCW's cloud offerings.

Popular EHR for Physician Practices

Overall, lots of functionality but slow and clunky - feel like it inhibits a provider from seeing lots of patients because of the burden of slowing down documentation.

Pros

Lots of features and ease of use Good template creating method Good overall functionality

Cons

Poor efficiency Too many clicks Poor customer service overall Lots of downtime Slow and clunky

11-50 employees

have used in clinic, trained, built and supported users on software

Pros

variety of ways to navigate and accomplish tasks. variety of features and more constantly being added to meet the changing needs of health care providers.

Cons

somewhat inconsistent in methodolgy - ie, some places have drop down boxes, while others have ellipse, etc. would be nice to have some consistentcy.

Nicole W.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Pros

Easy to use, easy to make templates, easy to review labs and address messages and phone calls.

Cons

Assessment portion is missing key components (GYN)- could be the way my company has this set up as I am retail health and I know primary care offices also use this system.

NF

Nazanin F.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

This is not your best option

Pros

The notes are structured nicely, with PMH, SH, etc on the left hand column and everything you care about nicely centered. There are a couple of "sticky notes" on top of the chart that allow you to write personalized notes about the patient (like their hobbies, grandchildren, etc) that does not become part of the note. It is fairly easy to schedule a patient and visualize the schedule both as a list as well as in blocks.

Cons

-The customer support is non-existing. You can try asking for many things and their response will always be: "it cannot be done". Meanwhile your medical assistant figured out how to do it by googling the issue while you were wasting your time talking to the tech support. This conditions you never to call customer support. -The system is very complicated. It has many features, bells and whistles, and...

Hi Nazanin, we're sorry your experience didn't match your expectations. We value customer feedback and how we can improve and better support you in the future. With that being said we do ask that practices open support cases here https://bit.ly/1YL2Hnj or reach out directly to their Strategic Account Managers (SAM) when they do have any problems or questions. We would like to ask that you reach out to your SAM with these problems so they may be addressed.

cb

cheryle b.

Medical Practice, 51-200 employees

Great for our small health department

We spent the time to document our processes and identify areas where we wanted change. When the business analyst came, we were able to concentrate on how we wanted the EMR to work. This is the difference in having someone install an EMR with the "usual" processes and making it work for you. They are very willing to work with you to make the product work for your needs, you just have to identify what you want. If they can't change something (we wanted a couple of languages added to the list in demographics and couldn't because they were not on a standard list) they can work with you to find a solution.

Pros

This is a very cost effective EMR for our small health department. We are able to customize progress notes to allow for fast and efficient documentation of immunizations. Messenger can be used to call and cancel patients if an emergency happens and we need to cancel patients. This can be done from the internet anywhere, which can be a big help not to have to go into the office during a severe weather...

Cons

Data entry for historic immunization records is time consuming. I look forward to a time when we will have bi-directional data transmission with our state immunization database, which will eliminate the historical documentation. As others note, there can be difficulties with communication if a support person does not have English as their first language. It just takes slowing down and being patient.

BC

Brian C.

Medical Practice, 5,001-10,000 employees

eCW hates clinicians

My notes can be seen and read outside of a paper chart. Other than that, not much

Pros

Notes are typed, so they are legible. Supposedly, the billing function is useful,however, my group does not use this.

Cons

-Very slow to startup, and uses a lot of resources on your desktop computer -Too many clicks -Too easy to make mistakes and lose work (where did my 5 paragraph note go?!) -Not easy to customize -eCW often generates medical errors -interface is terrible--why can I only see 5 lines of typed text at a time? Why are there 5 buttons on a view that are all labeled the same thing? (No...use the "scan"...

JM

James M.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Nightmare

They are 100% offshore support. 98% of the people that call speak so little English that you have no chance of having any sort of meaningful conversation. Every single time we do a patch update it takes 5-7 hours on top of the line hardware. About 50% of the time the patch fails and it takes a whole day or two to get the correct people from ECW on the phone to resolve the issue. They have account...

Pros

It was inexpensive, and feature rich when we purchased it in 2010. The ability to self host is great to control the user experience.

Cons

Support, updates, cost. They are changing the way features have worked or been charged for. As a result you are forced to pay for something that was free for years or it stops working.

DH

Debbie H.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

This software company continues to update the software and tries to keep up with the ever changing Health care industury

Support has improved over the past 6 months. The technical teams really care about solving the issues that arise. You can really tell the staff at eClinicalworks are very committed to customer satisfaction. When so many companies are not concerned with customer satisfaction I am glad that we are using on that is.

Pros

Always changing and updating the operation of the Software to keep up with the ever changing Health Care Industry

Cons

The Software is so flexible and we have been using it since 2006 we really need to develop additional ways to make documentation of Progress notes easier for the providers. When we were trained back in 2006 to develop templates and to use the software for our Providers a lot has changed over the years. It has be difficult to keep up with all the enhancements and developments to the software. Now...

KB

Kris B.

Great Sales Pitch......Lots of Promises...Very Deceiving Software

"None of us is slower and more ineffective that all of us combined at the same time". This is there approach. Rarely is any one employee at eCW willing to take ownership of an issue. It's never their department, their job, their scope...especially when it comes to shining light on the many issues eCW has and talking about how they did not uphold their end of the contract. Radio silence and a healthy round of the blame game.

Pros

Patient Portal works well. The PP trainer was attentive and professional.

Cons

Empty promises about customization and work-arounds. These work-arounds are only appropriate if they allow you to continue to see patients in the manner you think is best and if it allows you to chart in a logical fashion that fits your practices needs. Just because there is a work-around does not meant that you've solved the issue of the practice and limitation of the software.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

EMR with lots of empty promises

I would not recommend this product, you should do some research and really consider another. They have had two legal issues within the year already and that is a huge concern as a user who spends a pretty penny for this service. Moving to another EMR is a huge pain, but eventually we will be moving away.

Pros

It has a lot of features and they try to stay ahead of the game, for the most part it does work and they can use 3rd party vendors. The web based version is much more modern and faster than the desktop version, however the UI is very different and can take some getting used too.

Cons

Practically everything, for one the support is terrible and you can barely understand what they are saying half the time. The EMR has TONS of issues and they never have an answer, when asked about known issues thay always say " there are none". No software is perfect and everything has known issues, they refuse to awknowledge issues and its ridiculously cumbersome to support from and IT perspective. Especially when changes occur out of nowhere and permissions have been reset and changed without warning.

RT

Richard T.

Medical Practice, 501-1,000 employees

Outdated, inefficient, cumbersome

There is no one to talk to to make suggestions or improvements. It appears they do not care what their customers want or need.

Pros

The only pro is we have an EMR vs no EMR.

Cons

Have to click endlessly. They make changes based on what helps them and ignore the needs of the doctors who use the program each and every day.

JA

Jonna A.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Financial Harm with no oversite and little support. Slow to correct and updates create more problem

Pros

This product used to be amazing, but has been declining for the past 2 years. The only Pro is the cost is low, but you get what you pay for.

Cons

The support is difficult to talk to and understand. The support can only do what the user can do to fix things so always hear "I have to escalate the problem". The user cannot update the fees for their services. Training is lacking and the online training includes hundreds of videos that don't have anything to do with your ECW Version and are hard to find. ECW makes updates that create more problems...

CH

Christopher H.

Medical Practice, 51-200 employees

Long time customer, pretty much done with eCW

I have attended about 8 eCW users conferences, including the first one in Orlando. I am a superuser. Initially, I was optimistic, but over time I have seen a lot of false promises and lack of USER -driven improvements. The whole feel of eCW is that of a clunky data gatherer. It is absolutely dreadful at the point-of-care. I didn't go to med school to be a data entry clerk. The piecemeal product now. Nickel and dime every little feature/service. When will an EHR come out that makes sense at the point of care?

Pros

Customizable - but be careful - you may have to redo everything after an upgrade. Reporting features and back office 'ok'. Portal, Healow app and eclinicalmobile are decent (though erx through mobile is wonky).

Cons

Too many clicks. Too many windows. Tiny boxes. Tiny font. Poor format. Early 2000's feel and look. Upgrades often require the user to fix data (re-map, correct NDC codes, etc. etc. etc.) which is a total pain for staff and the providers. Too many ways to achieve the same thing, just causes confusion. Internal messaging a joke.

JB

Jenny B.

Customer Service

Our practice has benefited from using the Messenger product. We use it to primarily do text appointment confirmations, and wellness reminders monthly. During influenza season sending out a blast to parents via text message to get flu shots helps tremendously! User friendly, up to date dashboards for MIPS, MACRA, billing is awesome and new features for the EMR side are always coming through. I find it a great product for doctor offices!

Pros

Ease of use and intuitive. The company always listens to the users for suggestions and problems. Customer support is great. I like how they follow up within 24 to 48 hours of a service ticket to make sure everything is functioning. I am very pleased with the customer service team because they always call me back in the same day. The chat option is great for a quick answer as well.

Cons

In the beginning the training was not what I thought. However, in the last 6 years the webinars have expanded and ease to watch and print power points as well.

SY

Sherif Y.

Medical Practice, 1,001-5,000 employees

Labor-intensive

I have often wondered about the popularity of ECW. After all, I think there are many better systems out there, it lacks many necessary features and it is not cheap. I believe ECW owes its success to a good sales team, and to the fact that potential users think: if it is adopted by so many users, it must be good. In big corporations, the decisions are made by administrators, not by physicians, and...

Pros

Macros and order sets. The form of the finished note looks nice.

Cons

Everything else (see above)

KL

Kael L.

Medical Practice,

eClinicalWorks Review

Pros

Read this review as a warning if you are considering eCW.

Cons

My brother asked me to step in as emergency manager of his primary care medical practice in San Francisco in 2009 (my background is tech startups). He's an internist and was salutatorian of his UCSF med school class, so he's a smart guy, even in a room full of smart guys. And he's extremely hard-working. His partner chose eClinicalWorks for their 2-doctor practice. What was their experience? First:...

JB

Jenny B.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

I really like eClinicalworks PM.

Opportunities to improve our medical outcomes in all areas and departments.

Pros

All like the most features under the Billing navigation tab especially. The registry is the fastest way to get info drilled down to your specific needs. We are using the kiosk and questionnaires. This feature has helped tremendously with meeting Clinical Integration (CI) measures. It has also helped streamline patient check in and collecting outstanding balances. There are always new things to learn and try - always evolving!

Cons

The EBO reporting system. I do not find it easy to learn. I do not find it fits or is workable in the medical field. The reports do not give you current, month to date or year to date totals on your reports. You cannot create reports that give that information as well.

FF

Flora F.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Communication Issue

My experience have been very negative. Issues arise every other month and it takes for ever to solve

Pros

I have nothing positive to say xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cons

We have an issue in our medical practice for a couple of weeks and its been next to impossible to get a hold of someone that can explain what's going on. I've been sending emails, puttings tickets and no response. The worst part is that once you have this system is very hard to get out.