Tableau Software Reviews

User ratings

Rating summary

Verified Reviewer  25th of February

Tableau user friendly

Tableau is one of the best BI tool I have used and user friendly. Visualization purpose good and extracting data form Excels and showing data in different formats like graphs.

Pros: Performance wise good

Cons: It can`t handle huge data.

Verified Reviewer  23rd of December, 2015

Incredibly powerful software that does many things with ease, but still requires code writing for more complex analysis

This software is by far the easiest BI software I've used (tried Zoho, Excel Pivot tables, Microsoft BI, and many others). It's a slam dunk for drag-and-drop analysis of lots of things. But if you want to do more complicated analysis of what you're looking at beyond face-value graphs of plotting X and Y axis, you're going to need to learn how to perform some custom coding. Fortunately, there are LOTS of free guides available through community forums and online blogs. But it takes time to read those, and unless you're trying to do exactly what the examples show, it takes quite a bit more time to adapt said examples to whatever is specific about your scenario. The price isn't cheap at something like $1000/yr, so it's no small investment. But from every other software I've seen, I'd buy this over the others.

Pros: Super simple drag-and-drop interface for plotting out info. Massive online community forums packed with information and examples Huge amount of content produced by others on various sites (blogs and such). Ability to quickly open someone else's example worksheet to get "hands on" with the data from their examples (as opposed to just reading about it).

Cons: Like every other software I've seen, there's no escaping the need to code custom functions for complex or deeper analysis The price tag is fairly high - likely cost prohibitive for a small business who is just looking to try and analyze data that their POS software won't do for them, or that Excel Pivot tables just can't quite seem to cover.

1-2 years

Verified Reviewer  24th of November, 2015

Great app for mid-size business

Tableau is the fastest, most delightful way to stay on top of your data with incredible visualization capability. It is rapid-fire business intelligence that equips anyone to analyze data quickly.

Pros: It allows to connect to any kind of data source and interact with data using controls that are automatically optimized.

Cons: The 2 weeks software trial period is not really enough time to understand the power of the product.

2 of 2 people found this review helpful

Verified Reviewer  18th of July, 2015

Real time reporting at it's best

You can do real time reporting . Ease of use do require very less amount of technical knowledge for using it

Pros: Real time reporting Can use to load data at specific intervals

Cons: Etl function for loading the data is limited.

3 of 4 people found this review helpful

Verified Reviewer  23rd of June, 2015

Interactive visualization capabilities.

On the surface, Tableau is a very good data visualization tool. In fact, with any exposure to the tool at all, most folks will conclude it is one the best. What's harder to understand with limed use is just how important the tool's extreme interactivity is the the analytical process a user can attain. Tableau's graphical charting and slice and dice capabilities are so easy, yet so extreme that analysis becomes different. I find myself playing with the data more, which prompts more and better questions, which is more engaing which fosters more learning. I work with other tools like R sometimes and it's fine, but Tableau is a richer tool to use for hich I can learn more.

Pros: Interactive visualization capabilities.

Cons: Cost No Mac version for full analysis for YEARS - (note: they have announced a small scale Mac version recently)

6-12 months

4 of 4 people found this review helpful
Marketing Services Analyst (Design company, 501-1000 employees)
Verified Reviewer  28th of May, 2014

Tableau's Not Really Ready for Primetime When it Comes to Support or Product

I worked with Tableau for a reporting automation project, and had challenges at every turn. Their sales team was far more interested in making a sale than selling me the appropriate product for my needs, and I had to submit several support tickets before I was even granted the login URL to their online tool's platform. There was a very scary lack of backwards compatibility. I used their Online publishing service, and was horrified to find that all of my reports crashed overnight when Tableau upgraded their API. I reached out to support, received no solution, and was required to reconstruct all 20 of my databases to match Tableau's new spec. If my account rep's uninterested attitude is any indicator of the company at large, it would not surprise me to see this issue recur. Outside these serious issues, I found the tool difficult to work with on complex reports. I work in marketing, and was constantly developing custom solutions, merging data sets, and generally jumping through hoops to calculate such simple metrics as cost-per-lead, ROI, etc. I constantly found myself wishing I had developed my own reporting system from scratch--it would have been just as difficult, taken just as long, but would have been way cheaper, and at least I could have brushed up on my coding.

Verified Reviewer  12th of November, 2015