Tableau Reviews

User ratings

4.6

1.6K
  • Likelihood to recommend8.46/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

I love that the tool is so easy to use and it turns data into a manageable and easy to digest appearance. It manages to make data fun to look at, and it's really easy to work with.

EA

Edward A.

I also like the fact that the company is always striving to improve their software as it shows dedication to the field. With every update I find that the new features help with my job quite a lot.

Will C.

Linking existing databases works like a charm. It has a plethora of data visualization methods which is extremely professional and helpful for users to gain valuable insights.

I'll say that it was really frustrating to use in the beginning, it is complex and if you've never been in it before it is overwhelming.

WB

William B.

Due to my lack of familiarity in how to code, I was uncomfortable at first and found it difficult to learn.

DV

Divya V.

What is even more annoying is that it also takes several minutes to cancel a query. I really don't understand how it can take that long just to cancel a query.

Tableau users...

Google Data Studio

IBM Cognos Analytics-logocaret

IBM Cognos Analytics

Compare both
How would you rate Tableau?

1,630 reviews

Gaurav S.

Senior Lecturer and Program Manager

Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 employees

The easiest tool for Dataviz

Transcript

Gaurav S.: My name is Gaurav. I'm a program director and assistant professor in the education industry,...

A premium option at a premium price point

Transcript

Thomas R.: Hi, my name is Thomas. I'm a senior director of information services. I would rate Tableau...

Best Visualization tool in the market

Overall Tableau has made our daily to daily work much easier be it data collection from different sources or creating custom reports and dashboards or analyzing large set of data to gain impactful insights.

Pros

It has amazing data visualization capabilities. Working for an organization where mostly reporting and visualization done on excel, When Tableau was introduced to our team and has been so much beneficial for us. You can create a scintillating and self-explanatory dashboard using this which is easily understandable by higher management even if they don't have any technical knowledge. Tableau can handle a large number of datasets also very easily and that dataset can be easily visualized without facing any performance issue. One thing which I like the most about tableau is report scheduling where your reports can be updated automatically every day. Another thing which i love about tableau is that multiple and different kind of data sources can be easily connected at one place.

Cons

Till now nothing that hinders me while working on this tool as its meeting all my expectations.

Once you learn how to use it, it makes a great data visualization and prediction tool!

To me, Tableau is worth the money. Especially if you have to present your data to colleagues. They have options to make your data so easy to understand, not limited to common ones like graphs and charts. I also like that I can play around with their data prediction tools.

Pros

Because I mainly use Excel for data recording, I like that Tableau does not require inputting the data again. I can just export my data and start visualizing it and preparing reports.

Cons

If you don't have the proper training, you won't get full use of this software. It goes beyond data recording and I think data visualization is its main use (at least to me/ that's why I got it). Most of the features there are not self-explanatory. You have to take extra steps and watch their free videos to learn how to use them.

Looks nice, but not so compelling for the cost or against the market

Tableau is highly popular so I feel quite a contrarian in saying I wasn't overly enamoured with Tableau. For me, it was the frustration of feature differences in the desktop and web clients, the rapid nature at which its releases go out of support, and that - for us, at least - I didn't see the value for its price over other products.

Pros

Tableau offers a lot of rich functionality for designing visualisations and dashboards. There is a lot of power in the product.

Cons

There isn't feature parity across the desktop, web, and mobile versions. For instance, in the edition we have the web client doesn't allow us to view data sources to see the underlying query or to edit them. We need to use the desktop client. However, the desktop client no longer logs in - the login screen simply gives a blank screen. We asked Tableau support who simply said they couldn't provide any...

Tableau dashboards

Pros

Great customize dashboards for analyzing the data you need

Cons

Mainly the high costs of the software use

Business Intelligence,data visualization and data analysis at breeze with Tableau.

It's reliable with data discovery and data exploration. It's simple to make data-driven decisions.

Pros

I like how Tableau is a reliable tool for data preparation.It's simple to visualize and understand data with Tableau.I can analyze big datasets using this tool easily.

Cons

I haven't found any missing functionality with Tableau as it's fully-featured to meet all my needs.

My Success Journey with Tableau

Discover, collect, integrate, model and visualize distributed data from both multi-cloud and on-premise platforms.

Pros

Tableau has self-service data preparation tools that makes it easy to collect and visualize data from ETL services.

Cons

Support at Tableau and in our organization works together to resolves issues that may arise rapidly.

An interesting way to present executive information.

Thanks to the software, our department was able to automate reports to senior management, generating indicators that could make better decisions.

Pros

It allows you to feed the information from an external source, even automating it so that your reports are generated automatically.

Cons

It is a bit complicated to design if you don't have programming logic, however if you have programmed before and can design a correct flow it will be a great tool.

Tableau- Data Visual Aid.

Tableau is one of the best visual tools that aid data-driven decision making.

Pros

It helps to reinforce understanding and provides a vivid picture to support data-driven decision making.

Cons

It's expensive; requires training and constant application. It will serve well also, if it can be integrated with Artificial intelligence.

Great and exceptional tool for data analysis and Business Intelligence.

Data cleansing. Data visualization. Ability to create and manage customs reports and dashboards.

Pros

It's simple to discover and explore data with Tableau.It's easier to prepare data using this tool.I like ease to analyze large datasets.

Cons

This tool performance is excellent hence nothing to point out as flaw.

Old-school visualization tools

Not very happy. I think there are better tools in the market. Salesforce is using its enterprise muscle to push this product.

Pros

Can handle large data sets and visualizations and is quite stable to use

Cons

Doesn't automatically provide a way for users to get permissions to view (aka google) Also UI is very outdated

Tableau Recommendation

Tableau allows complex data to be simplified by visualizing it. We can take a complicated digital marketing budget daily task and implement it via Tableau user dashboards etc. This will then open possibilities to automating specific processes that are a part of the whole task. Another point in my experience - we can totally use Tableau to create a dashboard that allows non-technical stakeholders to understand technical data via dashboards.

Pros

- Amazing data visualization capabilities - Tableau can comfortably handle large amounts of data. A million rows of data can be visualized without affecting the overall performance of the dashboard - Dashboards can be built interactively using the drag & drop function - It runs effectively and efficiently across different devices & - ...

Cons

- There seems to be no schedule or automatic refresh functionality - There is no custom visual import option available - Scaling may cause potential high costs if the organization is huge

Tableau is the best data visualization tool on the market and offers great value for money.

Tableau has allowed me to present complex data in a very simple and easily understandable way thanks to the many visualisations available. This has made presenting findings and reporting to senior management as well as clients very easy. Tableau has been very reliable and has been a one stop solution for all my company's data analytics needs mainly due to the fact that it allows us to combine all our data across various tools and work on them together.

Pros

My company heavily relies on Microsoft Excel to initially record and store data so I like the fact that Tableau easily allows you to import spreadsheets from Excel as raw data which can be transformed into great visualisations using Tableau's powerful features. I also like the fact that Tableau allows you to combine data from different sources and work on them together. One feature I find most helpful is report scheduling which updates reports automatically each day. This allows me to automate a repetitive task which I would have had to devote time to doing each day and allows me to easily monitor key metrics.

Cons

Tableau can be quite slow when working with larger datasets. Also, although Tableau has great visualisations for data, I feel there needs to be more statistical functionalities to be able to derive better and more in depth insights from data.

The de facto tool for all future analytical instrumentation professionals

It helped me to combine multiple data sets and create easy-to-understand graphs. I used to use Access and Excel to create matrix tables and graphs, but with the sequential conversion to Tableau, I was able to obtain results in about an hour instead of a full day, which dramatically reduced our work time. The result was a dramatic improvement in efficiency. As I was able to drill down and deepen our...

Pros

I used to use Access and Excel to create reports on data aggregation and analysis of the current situation, which changed every day, and I had to repeat the same tasks over and over again each time. However, since I started to use Tableau, the freshness of the most important data has not deteriorated, and I can visually view the data reflecting almost real-time data. The basic operation is not difficult...

Cons

I would like to see a more complete set of manuals. Statistical knowledge is not necessary, but some of the expressions on the screen are difficult to interpret, and it takes time to get used to them. The visualization is not intuitive, and when you try to do something a little more elaborate, it has its own quirks, and I think it requires training to make the visualization look the way you want. As...

A premium option at a premium price point

Overall Tableau is a great BI/Visualization tool where the only limitations are what your team can do with it. The platform itself has every bell and whistle you could want and provides a ton of customization for various use cases. The challenge arises when moving to the logistical management of the platform, specifically around access, user education and price. While it might be great for individual organizations, our use case of deploying dashboards to hundreds of clients just isn’t what Tableau was built for. If you have the right use case and team to support it, it’s a fantastic option. But if you’re lacking in those areas (or perhaps want a tool with more automatic BI/AI capabilities), there’s likely a better option for your organization.

Pros

There is a reason that Tableau is synonymous with data visualization tools to many people and organizations. It’s a premium product that can do pretty much whatever you want it to. Tableau’s features are limitless and with the proper resources to maintain and deploy it, you’ll rarely identify capabilities that it doesn’t have. It is truly a BI tool that enables your team to overcome any obstacle they...

Cons

The three biggest drawbacks to our organization continuing with Tableau were ease of use, cost scalability and functional scalability. Tableau is not the tool for organizations that lack technical resources. It’s not as “plug and play” as other options on the market and requires significant training of architects to fully take advantage of all its capabilities. Tableau also isn’t the ideal solution...

Easy to Perform Complex Data Analysis and Visualisation from any type of Datasource

Using Tableau has been a great learning, discovering and analytical experience, the tool has been easy to use and effective

Pros

Tableau has a good community support, almost any question that you get has been already answered, Tableau supports any type of datasources, it supports data from a simple spread sheet to any modern time Databases (such as Snowflake , AWS Redshift , psql, mysql etc...) Dataset can also be a query or joining multiple tables etc, which gives us a flexibility to compute required datas in the initial stage...

Cons

Tableau desktop application can perform slow when we are dealing with large data set, especially when dragging and dropping KPI's on switching from one worksheet to another, can reduce the development speed, so to avoid this use a small data set for development. When we are using Extracted Datasource the publishing to server and importing to desktop works really slow, since it is transferring the extracted data along with the tableau logic, Editing the alias of table columns are quit tricky not flexible, In filters the Dropdown listing are hard coded strings, it wold have been better if we could us a dimensions or values and and also if it supported chain filtering use of functions like TP90, Average etc , require the data set to be extracted , will not work with live data.

Tableau- Comprehensive Business Software with Advanced Reporting and Analysis Tools

Tableau has been a great asset for analyzing various reports and data sets. As a data analyst, I found it to be an invaluable tool for keeping my critical reports organized and easily accessible. I highly recommend Tableau as a business platform for both report designers and users as it provides unmatched flexibility in developing and using data sets in ways that will meet your complex business requirements.

Pros

Expansive functionality that allows the user to both manipulate and export data in a wide variety of formats. Export as an image, excel workbook, PDF file, Powerpoint or more. Multiple custom filter options that allow you to sort to the data that is most important to your needs. Easy to navigate through reports and convenient features such as adding favorites that will show up on your dashboard. Clean and professional interface that helps with organization of projects. Sharing reports within your organization is simple and there are restriction features which will allow you to determine who has access to the data sets as you see fit. Software gives information on when data was last refreshed, if the report is in real-time, or when the data is scheduled to refresh again.

Cons

Inactivity will cause you to have to refresh the page and remove any applied filters which will require you to wait again for the filtered data to load. This can be a little frustrating especially when pulling very large data sets that take a long time to load before you can pull them and then forgetting to export the data before the page refreshes. However, this is a rare occurrence as the refresh time is pretty generous, at least a couple of hours in my experience. Nevertheless, something to note for improvement in future versions.

A very intuitive business intelligence tool

I started using it while I was making my MBA and I was amazed at the easy of use and the possibility to make chart in a very powerful way beyond excel. Later on, when I was asked to do some complex representation of many parameters, Tableau has been the best and easiest option, beyond other 3 options I have tried from major sellers

Pros

- Very intuitive way o assemble data, no need for programming or special commands - Easily change data from numeric to alphanumeric - The most common and useful charts are available - Easy to breakdown data into several clusters - I once plotted 6 parameters in a 2 dimensional chart: X, Y, bubble size, color, name, icon - You can build special read-only docs with the functionality to be read by Tableu Reader (as in acrobat reader) - You can customize label, axis, trend and references lines

Cons

- Eventually some very specific charts are not there as chord, tornado, tree maps, nodes, gauges, alluvial diagram, dendograms - Even with all the clustering, it lacks statistical analysis as Anova, hypothesis test between two set of data, normal probability plot

Excellent tool for Data Visualization with simplicity

I have worked on domains like Telecom and Network where in I have been using Tableau. Its really liked by senior management as it shows each and every bit very clearly to relevant stake holders. For example, Marketing head likes region wise revenue sale dashboard which gives region/sales manager/product wise sale.

Pros

There are many features which lot of users would have liked:- 1. Connection to almost all database 2. Many types of Charts can be created including Sankey, Doughnut, Maps etc. 3. Its has the feature of data blending and data extraction 4. Dashboards can be viewed on multiple devices like tablet, mobile and laptops. 5. Its really fast while drilling down or filtering out from any dashboard.

Cons

Its a bit expensive tool as compared to other data visualization tools however its a value for money.

Tableau Lets You Become Productive in Minutes

Tableau and especially Tableau server has helped our business share data much more efficiently and accurately than the old method of emailing spreadsheets and presentations around. The ability for anyone to manipulate the data and answer their own questions allows analysts to concentrate on the truly difficult and unique problems instead of cranking out a never-ending series of custom reports. Having the data connected to live source or warehoused data means everyone is up to date all the time.

Pros

Tableau is exceptionally easy to pick up and be productive, and has the ability to connect to almost any data source you can imagine, including REST APIs (though this is a pretty advanced process). Cross database joins are an amazing feature that allow you to mix data from Excel, Oracle, MySQL and others on a single dashboard. There are a ton of online resources available from Tableau, and the broader user community which help you in the event that you get stuck on a thorny issue. Tableau also supports the Tableau Public desktop software which allows anyone to create and share visualizations for free on the web (though data sources are severely limited with Tableau Public).

Cons

Price is an issue, particularly if you're an individual or a small business. Woe be unto you if you're a small business and you'd like to set up a Tableau server. There are some functions which we've all grown accustomed to in Excel which new users will expect to be in Tableau but just aren't--robust Conditional Formatting, for instance. However, in most cases there are workarounds and other ways of accomplishing the same task. While it's easy to become quickly productive, most users will outgrow the easy stuff pretty quickly as they attempt join new data sources, or produce more complicated visualizations.

Tableau Rocks!

Overall, Tableau is a fantastic program for getting automated reports created, published, and off your plate! The visuals are amazing and the subscriptions and alert system are my absolute favorite. The software has its quirks but I've yet to have a problem I couldn't logically program my way around with a little time spent on web forums. Amazing software, very useful, exciting to use!

Pros

I love Tableau because, to me, there is almost nothing else out there that does data visualization so quickly and so effectively. I love that you can import almost any kind of data source (I only use SQL or Excel as sources, but there are hundreds of other options). I love that you can then add your own calculated fields, group data into custom buckets, and create parameters which the user can input...

Cons

I definitely wish Tableau could write back to a database. That would be amazing. I've heard it's in the works, but for now, it's still just on my wish list. I dislike various aspects about Tableau that can make it quite tricky to use. When you publish a data source, you should really publish it first before creating any calculated fields, groups, or parameters. Otherwise, it becomes much more...

The future of Big Data visualisation and processing

It took me some time to understand the scope and approach of Tableau. During this time i was confused and sometimes frustrated as It was hard to get static reports out of tableau. Once however I understood the magic behind it (well actually it wasn't Tableaus fault, but just me being stubborn) a whole new world of analyzing data opened up. A Magnificent, splendid, dynamic and playful way of getting answers from data and a completely new way of thinking questions to ask from my data. If you do not have to create static reports which you want to mail daily to a bunch of people but want to explre the secrets your data holds This is THE tool. Definite recommendation.

Pros

Tableau is centered around you as a user asking questions to your data. It is as simple as that and it works in ways not imagined before. Via graphical user antierface and drag and drop you combine aspects of your data and visualize relations. The coolest thing is that Tableau supports you without pushing or distracting. The process is emergent and makes it possible to walk the line from coherence...

Cons

The licensing was a bit of a hassle as we started in the early days of tableau. Also Sales were very eager and pretty actively tried to support us. This never was a bad thing, just a bit too much. Also Tableau introduced support for document based databases rather later than earlier so we had a slight wait there. Then again, every time the did include a feature it was just bug free and worked like...

Tableau: all-in-one data visualization and organization software

Pros

I have tried many ways to organize my files, especially my data for work. I had tons of trial and errors with different software. I tried Tableau and I have been using it ever since. Tableau lets me store my files and so much more. Tableau allows me to view my data in a way that I wanted it to be shown, organized and sorted. I can access different files using cloud and data warehouses. No other software...

Cons

Tableau is great but it really was confusing at first, especially without any help or tutorial, the software had too many functions that it can take time to be able to learn a single task in it. A helpful solution is that Tableau has a help area where frequently faced difficulties can be answered and since many has already been using it, asking for help from others was not that hard. It was not that difficult to learn the functions of Tableau.

Tableau Desktop is my must-have software. I couldn't do my job without it (nor would I want to)!

Tableau has allowed our office to look at data in new ways. Whether we're using it for data exploration or dissemination, it makes the information easy to understand and use, even for newbies. In the past, we used spreadsheets and PDFs to share data with various constituents, but they were dense and only offered a static view of the data. Now, with interactive dashboards, end-users can not only search for the exact information they need, they can also see how it fits into the big picture. This capability has led people to ask more questions and actually get excited about data and assessment. Tableau allows us to answer those new questions quickly and accurately than before.

Pros

I have been using Tableau Desktop for over five years now and I still get excited about it. First, Tableau is so easy to learn and use--the intuitive interface allows even first-time users to create amazing visualizations. Second, Tableau is a time saver. What used to take me weeks now takes days and what used to take days now takes minutes. Third, Tableau is versatile. There are many different...

Cons

Sometimes large data files can take several minutes to load. Tableau allows for the creation of extracts to speed up the process, but the initial upload still takes time. Tableau also does not have an auto-save feature, which has caused me to lose work on several occasions.

Excellent Product but Poor Support

I've been using the software for about five years and it has been able to provide insight into our data in a way that no other tool has been able to. However, support is terrible for this product and some of the versions are released with a few bugs. We will likely continue to this but it is imperfect.

Pros

The software is very powerful tool and excellent visualization tool. It is easy to get started and there is a ton of free training available. The pool of users is great and the community is very helpful to new and existing users.

Cons

The support we pay for is almost worthless. We frequently solve the problem ourselves and it is time consuming to submit everything via their helpdesk with nothing to show for it. Providing logs and files and emailing with someone on the west coast outside of normal east coast business hours is frustrating. Tickets get "escalated" to the engineering team and that ends up being code for "we don't know and this won't be fixed by us". Turnover for their sales representatives indicates it isn't a great company to work for either.

On the fly BI tool with rich visualizations and Dashboard features

We used Tableau for Visualization BI apart from having Business Objects for reporting. We have created a story for a given subject with all the related information to present to the user. It gives a quick glance on what is happening on the sales of drug for a pharma company that I worked. Migration from non-prod to prod is very easy (unlike other BI tools). Cost of the project reduces a lot with Tableau for BI projects

Pros

Tableau has changed the BI world a lot. It has brought in a software, using with business user can create dashboard & reports on the fly and can check what is there inside. It allows the user to read through the data and derive the insights without much technical analysis. First it can connect to any database (I know about 44 database it connects) and you can set the data, slice the data needed for current analysis and then you can do quick reporting. It provide multiple features, like different charts, graphs and tables and mathematical and statistical functions for analysis. Once you have create multiple visuals you can put them onto one dashboard or multiple dashboards into a story and present the same to business

Cons

Even though it has rich features but it can support the Enterprise BI needs like business object or Cognos does. It does not provide all the feature for E L T (extraction, load and transform) which requires complex transactions. As data gets huge the graphs and charts become unreadable. also, this software is more useful to the business user for personal purpose than company wide reporting etc. The administration part of it needs a lot.