Harvest Reviews

4.6

How would you rate Harvest?

Pros

I recently started using Harvest and I love it. I love that it just shows up on the top on my Macbook so I can easily add time without going on the website.

SG

Silpa G.

Customer support is amazing. I really love this software, and will continue to use it indefinitely.

AC

Amanda C.

It's quite robust too, so as you grow Harvest is extremely well positioned to grow with you. The ability to track hours for projects or tasks is extremely helpful for those non-total-project invoices.

RC

Ryan C.

Cons

Sometimes i make a mistake and put 2.5, which is wrong because it means 2hours 50 minutes. I also don't know how it kept inputting off decimal numbers.

LR

Lily R.

It is a pain to use if you have little random projects that come up frequently because they then have to be separately added to Harvest as their own job by the project manager.

Notifications can't be configured for a project and time off, missing advances features such as billing.

KB

Karyn B.

Owner

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Tracks Time, Dimishes Trust with Employees

Transcript

Karyn B.: Hi, I'm Karyn. I am a traffic coordinator. I am reviewing Harvest. I give it a two star rating....

Solid time tracking and invoicing app

Transcript

Luke A: I'm Luke, I'm head of client services. I give Harvest a two out of five. For more reviews like...

Great Time Tracking Software

My overall experience is amazing. You can use timer for time tracking or you can record them later on.

Pros

It is amazing software which is easy to use and user friendly. It also integrates with project management softwares like ClickUp.

Cons

Some default short cuts interferes with other applications and it gets annoying, but you can change them.

We Love Harvest

Harvest is great. It has LITERALLY changed the way we work and made our teams much more efficient.

Pros

It is SUPER easy to use, and our team is able to track both time and hard costs against our various jobs which makes our staffing and budgeting estimates VERY easy.

Cons

There is very little we don't like about Harvest. However, it seems to be set up for service companies who are billing clients. It would be nice to not have to "trick it" some times to meet our corporate needs. Also, it would be nice to have finer levels of control on user permissions. I would like to give team members the ability to go in and see the labor costs and external costs against the job without giving them access to see what each persons billable rate is. (Since we use this in a corporate capacity, these billable rates are tied directly to salary information which - obviously - we don't want to share).

I don't admin Harvest. I only enter time into Harvest. I don't like Harvest.

I personally get no benefits from this software. I'm not a fan.

Pros

So overall I'm not a fan. That said, documenting expenses is the best I've ever seen in Harvest. It's really well done and simple. Nice and clean, get your photos, get your monies and go. Big fan. That is where my love affair ends with this app. From an administrative point, maybe there are incredible advantages over other offerings. The world may have never experienced such a revolutionary piece of software and I, in turn, am a simpleton; stuck in a world of misunderstanding.

Cons

If you write a app which tracks hourly time and tries to put it into buckets for easy expensing, the time-tracking app should be simple for the multitude of non-admin users. Simply put, it's cumbersome and annoying.... and I say that because someone is going to take stronger language less seriously. Forget the fact that you have to enter in time _Daily_. When I say daily, I don't mean that you...

Big feature list for time & project tracking but pricey

Harvest does everything we need and is easy to use. However there's definitely features we don't need or use that we're paying extra for.

Pros

Lots of great features and the UI makes Harvest nice to use. It's easy to pull time reports for specific resources and projects.

Cons

It's definitely expensive. We are exploring other, more cost-effective solutions in what is now a crowded marketplace.

Time tracking made easy

I contract for many different companies and need an accurate time tracking software to log hours on multiple projects throughout the day. Harvest accomplishes that and more with a simple start/stop timer next to each project line item. The best part is that you can go back and edit your time in case you left it running or needed to log some unaccounted for hours. Would definitely recommend!

Pros

This software is extremely user friendly and easy to deploy. Upon activating my account, I was up and tracking time within minutes. Every aspect was very easy to understand.

Cons

I have not found a flaw as of yet, but if I were to suggest anything it would be to have a simple widget in the corner of my screen in which I can easily see where I'm at on logging time without having to minimize or move a window out of the way.

Happy to discover Harvest (strange name)

This was a trouble free 30-day trial. I didn’t hesitate to subscribe for a year.

Pros

For my new consulting company, this provides exactly what I need. Totally intuitive startup. Customer, contact, projects, and functions concepts allow good segmentation. Robust, no glitches. Great looking invoice template. Good integration with QuickBooks.

Cons

I have not yet found major irritants .

Does one thing well - simplicity

Meh - wish we didn't need to use it, would prefer the timetracking to happen in our project management software (teamwork) - but that doesn't support timesheets & has very poor high-level visibility reporting.

Pros

Timesheets workflow, high-level time spent/remaining visibility

Cons

Doesn't support sub-tasks, loosely integrated with our project management software (Teamwork)

Great Tool for Tracking Time & Resources

Positive - they were a great solution for a company at our size at the time.

Pros

We used Harvest at our company for multiple years - it provides a great option for the team to track time across multiple projects and ensure project management and billing have hours for billable reference. It's cost is accessible to many organizations and the functionality works as expected.

Cons

Their native reporting didn't meet our needs so it required us to pipe this data into our data warehouse to then create our own visualizations, insights, dashboards, BI systems, etc. We began to outgrow Harvest due to additional needs outside of Harvest's core offering. Our financials were also in a different system which didn't allow us to utilize the billing features to their full potential

A Nice Product That Became Too Expensive For Me To Justify

Overall, I really enjoyed it. I felt some pains when I moved away from it, but I've actually found a really nice combination of products that does the same thing.

Pros

A very easy-to-use app that lets you track time and clients. End-of-month invoicing is as simple as a few button clicks. Overall, I really like the program.

Cons

The price just wasn't worth it for me anymore. I found I could no longer justify the cost based on free offerings out there in the wild.

Harvest is an easy to use time tracking tool

Pros

Time tracking is very easy with operating system apps, tracking time is very easy, it can also be synced up with calendars for automatic syncing

Cons

A bit of a learning curve to create and understand reports

Timetracking and Invoicing Made Easy

In general, I have been very happy with this product. When we originally were researching time tracking and invoicing software this one rose to the surface and it has remained one of the leaders in this space. Having said that, it's not cheap, particularly if you need multiple people on it, so there are definitely options out there that cost less and or are free if that is what you are looking for. It does also provide some integration with Quickbooks that others likely don't have.

Pros

Working in a creative field, I am a person who detests tracking time and invoicing. It takes me out of flow and into a space that doesn't really foster creative ideas or spark the imagination. Harvest makes the process about as painless as possible (let's be real, tracking time will never be entirely painless) and frees me up to focus on what I do and how I best deliver value to my clients and team. For clients that prefer to pay by credit card, it allows you to deliver the invoice via a web portal with the ability to pay via PayPal with your cc.

Cons

I still feel that the project setup scenarios could be simplified and / or streamlined. I've used Harvest for over 10 years and they have consistently added features and addressed certain gray areas that the software couldn't really account for, but I do think that if they were rebuilding the platform knowing what they know now, they would make it even more straightforward and simple from that standpoint.

Wanting for More Features

Overall, Harvest does what it needs to do for our company - provide a place to track time worked, on an array of different projects, and report that time worked to upper management. But I think Harvest could certainly add some features to their interface that would increase user productivity, and help guide employees through their work weeks, with an eye on time management.

Pros

Harvest certainly offers a very user-friendly interface. When you log on, it's immediately apparent how to use the software for the basic need of time tracking. The interface is set up to reflect the current week, with the days of the week displayed left to right, and the time you've tracked for each day displayed below it. Each day is broken up into time tracked according to a specific project. If using Harvest in the way our company does, you can create project codes to reflect different projects, so you'll be able to track how long you or your employees are spending on individual projects, or even separate types of tasks within that project.

Cons

I do wish there was a a sort of "Week So Far" tracker feature, that appeared as its own tab in the top menu bar, or perhaps was totaled at the bottom of the screen on the current day's time sheet. At the moment, if you'd like to see the hours you've spent on different projects summed up so far in a given week, you would have to either click into each day, and add up the hour totals yourself, or you go to the "Reports" tab, then click on "Team," then click on your own name under that, where then you would be able to see the total number of hours you've spent on different projects that week. This seems like a simple feature that should be more accessible, or at least more clear to navigate to.

Great for time and billing; hard to integrate with accounting

Ease of timekeeping and billing has improved. Integration with the rest of my accounting system has become harder.

Pros

I started using it because I did not find the timekeeping functions of Quickbooks easy enough to use. On that point, Harvest is much better--it is excellent at keeping track of time. In addition, Harvest makes it quite easy to bill clients for time and to follow up with repeated billings if needed.

Cons

I'll mention two things. First, the method of dealing with retainers needs some serious work to be useful for lawyers. If I have an outstanding invoice and a client sends me a retainer, I cannot have payment toward the invoice taken out of the retainer without a fairly convoluted process. Second, it is hard to integrate with Quickbooks. I need Quickbooks (or I suppose, something similar) to keep track of all my financial records. But when I am using Harvest for timekeeping and billing, I wind up making many of the entries twice.

Clean, Simple to Use, Good Invoicing features. Features for Fixed-fee billing not the best.

We absolutely loved Harvest and could not recommend it highly enough. However, with the change to limit phone support, plus the software's limitations in working with fixed fee pricing (which our industry is moving rapidly to), we're unfortunately in the process of looking for a new time-tracking app.

Pros

1) Clean, simple, easy to use interface for daily time tracking. 2) Ability to monitor team's time real-time 3) Ability to track real-time billable Revenue 4) Invoicing features 5) inexpensive

Cons

1) No real-time phone support. Originally, Harvest had real-time phone support, but a while back they (suddenly) changed their phone support from real-time to only scheduled appointments. We've often found that support appointments are not usually available until a while later in the same day, or often the next day, which has been difficult because there is no way to get quicker phone support if...

Time and expense tracking and billing

I used Harvest stand-alone when I started my business. A few years ago I took my accounting online with Xero so I explored many of the time-tracking apps that integrate with it. After less than a year, and countless other apps, I returned to Harvest because I've found nothing easier. I create invoice drafts in Harvest and copy them to Xero for final billing. It's simple, fast, goes deeper if you need it, and is reasonably priced.

Pros

Harvest fits my business model. I'm a consultant who also does installs, repairs, and remote support. It's simple to set up Harvest with your client list, hourly rates, products and services. Once set up, tracking time and expenses is even simpler! They have a web interface and a mobile app. The mobile app duplicates most of the web features and is very handy when on-site - a couple taps selects the...

Cons

Everything is tracked as a project. To enter time, you first have to create a project to track it. Even if you are doing a one-off visit, you cannot track that hour or two until you have created a new project for that customer. It would be helpful to be able to log billable time directly to a customer.

Truly Simple and Intuitive to Use Effectively

From day one it was intuitive and easy to use. It's a time tracking tool, so it really doesn't need to be complicated. The creators have managed to perfectly combine functionality and a straightforward interface with enough features to also make it versatile for various types of businesses and projects.

Pros

This software is part of my everyday use, and it just works 100% of the time. When you are managing various clients and tasks, the interface makes it dead simple to task-switch and start logging hours in a different or for a different client. And when it's time to assess how many hours are left to spend on a client, the analytics reporting is easy to understand and offers several great ways to manipulate the data.

Cons

There are features I don't use—mainly the expenses feature—so I cannot speak to how that works. Everything else, however, just works.

A Great, Lightweight App Which Does What We Need It To

Overall a very positive experience; the software is very simple to use and does what we need it to (allows us to invoice, view income reports and send client reminders on payments, as well as allow them to pay via card online, from anywhere in the world and for the funds to be filtered into our business bank account. Some limitations persist and I wish the company would listen to the community on such items as the lack of statements facility. However, they do offer a large number of external software integrations for proposals, contracts etc. which beefs out the utility and functionality of the software.

Pros

Harvest is a super-simple app which manages all our client payments and invoicing/reminders for our clients and integrates with Stripe for a seamless payment process. We use it every day and can bill clients in $ or other currencies easily, and provide them downloadable pdf's, payment portals and other functionality (using external app integrations) with ease.

Cons

The in-built feature set is quite limited. To get integration with contract software, proposal software etc. you need further subscriptions with other companies. It would be ideal if it was all built-in. Also, it's missing a huge feature which should be standard on all invoicing apps - The ability to send automated client statements. At any time we may have 5-20 invoices outstanding for some client accounts and, even after 4 years using Harvest we have to manually send links and individual invoice reminders. It's by far the biggest downside of the software and is a big limitation.

Elegant, Clean and Valuable Time Tracking App - A Staple Product

This is a very clean, simple appearing, a non-intrusive app which is actually a very solid and powerful platform. It has the potential to be an indispensable part of modern project-based businesses. Well, the answer is, this basic time tracking app solves several problems all at once. First of all, Harvest is available on all your devices and computers so, whenever you need to track time...voila...

Pros

-Intuitive user interface -Cute motivational quotes and illustrations -Great native desktop experience on the Mac -Wonderful integrations with other software, including Harvest's Forecast, Xero accounting and Stripe -A multi-functional API and mobile apps (IOS and Android)!

Cons

- No automated sales tax - or integration with automated sales tax providers (Avalara, Tax Jar, etc.) on invoices -Team pricing could be better and also would be great if there were a tier between free - two projects and unlimited projects. -No offline functionality on the desktop

Fantastic time-tracking tool

Pros

Especially after a recent update, I like how easy the timer is to work with. Simply select the project I'm working on and start the timer. While I'm working it stays on in the background. If I get called away from my desk for some reason, and I forget to stop the timer, it recognizes the inactivity and checks in with me upon return. That's super handy - if I was off the computer on a call related to...

Cons

There is sometimes a disconnect between the desktop app and the website. I can't remember why but once in a while I'll have to check on the site while the app is running (like to read notes associated with a project) and there were some discrepancies. They always sorted themselves out, but for a couple minutes it was confusing. It's not a huge issue so long as you remember to give the site time update with the app.

Harvest

One of the best tool to track my time on any task or project. The biggest feature is you can track it from your laptop, desktop or mobile, Very easy to manage and dashboard is well layered for easy access the different features. Invoicing is a very powerful feature you can always track and engage with your customer.

Pros

Reporting is a big asset especially virtually. you can easily assign task to individual developer or to the whole team. Track them what is going on and allocate and manage the budget. It is intelligent enough to suggest what part of your project is infected or going strong and you can make your decision accordingly.

Cons

Not very easy to work on it initially but once you are familiar with it then it is going along very nicely. There is need of improvement in there mobile app and also costing is bit tricky as rate change is not very helpful. Moreover for user or developer it is hard to catch his time sheet as summary is not very helpful.

Time tracking made easy and simple.

Easy tracking for freelancing and agency workflow. Amazingly simple!

Pros

It's really easy to use and set up. I've been using it for a few years now and it always works great. Harvest has a web platform and also a mobile app, both of them work great with no issues so far. The mobile app is very well done and has most of the features you can find on the desktop version. It has a great feature that notifies you by email when you've forgotten your timer on for a long period of time. It also notices when you're not at the computer and asks you if want to add the time that you were away or subtracted from the current count. You can edit previous counts and you can group them based on different categories you set up. It also works great with Asana. You can start a timer directly from within Asana, linking the Asana task to the Harvest timmer. It works very well.

Cons

I had two things to mention here that are not bugs or issues, just things that my current workflow would require for a smoother process. 1. I've been using Harvest with two teams / companies and I have to switch back and forth between their accounts which is a bit cumbersome. 2. I wish you could filter more precisely the weekly / monthly overview. I can't separate task and groups as much as I need, in order to get a better understanding of how much time has been tracked for a specific category.

Good for time tracking purposes

Overall I found the software very straightforward and easily navigable - was able to use it for its intended purpose, and found that it made time tracking a lot more efficient and simple.

Pros

I used Harvest mainly for time tracking purposes at a past place of employment, and found the interface to be very easy to navigate. We were easily able to integrate corresponding tasks to the specified amount of time (ours was tracked on a minute by minute basis, so 0.7, 0.22, 0.59 etc). I also found it extremely handy to be able to have a stopwatch feature to track time when there are longer tasks (such as a meeting or a project that will take several hours in one stretch).

Cons

As mentioned above, though I found the stopwatch feature to be very efficient, it's not extremely practical for any role where you're touching multiple different projects at any given time (ex. an account or project manager). For a designer, this feature would be perfect. It would be interesting to see whether the same concept COULD be applied to a project management type job. Additionally, I found...

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I'll take note of your feature suggestions as our product team is consistently assessing how the product can improve. I definitely can see how a popup timer would be useful. Thank you for your trust in Harvest!

The gold standard for timekeeping

We've used harvest in the past and moved away to other products in the name of trying to fine one software suite that does it all: timekeeping, project management, chat, resource management, etc. Inevitably, we end up coming back to Harvest (alongside basecamp and slack) because it keeps things simple and does its job extremely well.

Pros

Exceptionally easy to use. Intuitive interface design that's obviously been user tested and refined. Every button and feature is exactly where you'd expect it to be.

Cons

This software does one thing really well – timekeeping. We've tried using solutions that try to do more and have gone back to Harvest because there's nothing we don't like about it.

Best Time-Tracker Out There

Overall, I am greatly satisfied with Harvest. It gets the task done and is also helpful in making the team more efficient. Tracking our time was effortless.

Pros

Harvest is straightforward and easy to use. First-time users find it easy to learn navigating the platform. It can also be seamlessly integrated to project management programs such as ClickUp. It also has a built-in Invoicing feature for bout hours and expenses. Another awesome feature is being able to set budgets for every project, so you can have a quick overview of how much you have spent and can still spend on a project.

Cons

What I liked the least about Harvest is that once a person or a project has logged hours, the only option you have is to archive them, and not delete them. It seems to just clutter the workspace. One improvement that can be done is having a prompt whenever the tracker has been on for more than 5 hours, just to check if the timer has been left on, because sometimes we still forget to turn off the tracker.

Harvest is my indispensable freelancing software

Pros

There is so much to love about Harvest! First, it works, really really well. You set up your project - and YES projects can have sub-projects - and you start your timer. As long as you can remember to start and stop your timer, this is perfect. Every two weeks, or every month, when you need to send invoices, all you do is "create an invoice" and the software auto-generates the invoice, in as much or...

Cons

The most challenging thing about this software is that you MUST set it up correctly. Take the time at the beginning to get your rates set, ensure that what is a 'billed' and a 'not billed' expense are correct. At the beginning, I was often accidentally putting time into 'not-billed' tasks, when it was just my mistake in setting up my categories.