Kareo Reviews

Shelley Gaines

Medical Billing Lead

Reviewed 2016-09-07
Review Source: Software Advice

Ease of use. There is a lot of helpful educational information, and when you call the reps are very knowledgeable and sincere about helping you with your problem.

Gregory Piponius

Almost 3 years of use and we still love it!

Reviewed 2016-07-12
Review Source: Software Advice

I came to our practice with no experience in health care and was immediately tasked with firing our 3rd party billing company and bringing everything back in house with Kareo. I had no experience in billing, patient demographics, insurance, posting payments etc. Within one week of our launch... we had the basics down and were able to seamlessly transition our single physician practice to Kareo. Payments were coming in within the first 30 days. We also have a linked EHR system so our claims are easy to do with our doctor able to have the DX codes all input at the clinical note stage and everything seamlessly transitions right over to billing. We are so fast at it that our previous day's claims are out the door by 10AM the following day. I love this system and the folks that support it.

Barbara Witherspoon

Reviewed 2013-01-13
Review Source: Software Advice

I am a nurse practitioner with my own practice seeing patients primarily in nursing homes. I also do my own billing. When I was setting up my practice, I was told about Practice Fusion EMR software by a colleague. I saw that Practice Fusion is integrated with a billing system called Kareo, so I decided to check it out. Once I saw what they had to offer, I didn't look any further. Cost got my attention first, but the more I learned about it, the more I liked what I saw. I have done medical billing for years in the past as an office manager. I am also a CPA, and I did consulting work in which I helped physician practices choose and set up billing systems. Compared to the older systems, Kareo is light-years better. Implementation of Kareo took some time and effort. At first I thought it would be intuitive, and it is to a certain extent. These days billing is so complex, however, that I have some to see that it would be almost impossible to come up with a system that is entirely intuitive. I needed to complete the training, and then I was good to go. One thing that is really nice is the ability to choose training videos on the topics you need to learn about. The training videos are excellent. I did my training by starting a video, pausing it to enter my own data into Kareo, then continue on. This provided me with hands-on training, and it was very helpful. I also like the fact that I can go back at any time to view the videos again, and I can also view videos on topics or features of Kareo that I am using for the first time. I chose to purchase customer support for the first month only, because I am pretty savvy when it comes to billing systems. During that time, the team was very nice, very helpful, and oh so patient with me. I always got the answers I needed. One of the things that I especially like about Kareo is the reports that can be run. In the "old days" you could only run certain reports that were set-up by the system. It never made sense to me that there was a huge database of information, yet it could only be accessed in limited ways. Kareo provides many options for reports. I personally like the accounts receivable reports as well as the report that shows revenue from each facility where I practice. Probably the biggest benefit I have received from Kareo is the time savings. I have to balance my time between my clinical responsibilities and my financial and billing activities. I am sure I could not do this without Kareo. Bottom line: I am a very satisfied customer, and I would choose Kareo all over again if I had to choose.

Vivian Sturz

Welcome to Affordable Practice Management

Reviewed 2015-11-04

My office began using Kareo Practice Management software in January, 2015. We had been using our previous vendor since 1986 and although it still works, it was costing $14,000.00 a year for support which we rarely, if ever, used. When I found Kareo at $299 per month I had to give it a try. I began training myself in October 2014 through all of the training platforms Kareo offers. I read the articles, I watched the videos, I emailed and spoke with them on the phone. I found the system easy to learn and kind of fun to use. I introduced the rest of the staff to it in December after deciding that it could work for us. The most difficulty they had was entering insurance carriers for patients which in Kareo are called "cases." Through videos and phone calls they finally got the hand of it. Our practice does not accept any kind of insurance and we opted out of Medicare so I cannot comment on submitting claims through Kareo. I do print up paper claims for surgery patients and the only problem I have with that is you can't print up a claim once the patient has paid the bill and you have entered the payment into the system. You have to remove the payment and change the responsible party to the patient's insurance company and then print a claim which does not show a payment. After printing, you have to go back to the patient's account and undo the changes you made. If your practice participates with various insurance companies, this would not be an issue for you. I also don't use the Kareo billing service. I print up the statements and mail them out myself. The statement template is very well laid out and looks very neat and professional. We transitioned into ICD-10 with no problem whatsoever. Kareo has all of the ICD-10 codes listed and it was a breeze to use their Superbill template and change the ICD-9 codes to ICD-10 codes. We were using our new Superbill on October 1st and everything went smoothly. Kareo even provided us with a list of our most used diagnosis codes and their corresponding ICD-10 codes. Kareo also provides constant updates and they install very quickly and have never caused the software to crash. All in all, I am extremely happy with Kareo. The software works, it's easy to learn and they provide excellent and friendly support. If you call them you are able to speak with someone immediately and they walk you through any problem you may be having. Long live Kareo!

Deborah Jenkins

Kareo Review

Reviewed 2016-09-21
Review Source: Software Advice

Our office has used Kareo as our billing software for the past three years. It is comprehensive and meets our billing needs. The support team for Kareo's PM software is phenomenal. I have called frequently over the past three years for customized support and have always gotten highly professional, pleasant and helpful representatives

Shirley Walker

Easy to use and improves efficiency

Reviewed 2018-05-16
Review Source: Software Advice

This is our third software program in 8 years in business. This has been the most accurate, easiest to teach, and most integrative of the ones we've used. It's a good value for the money, and we've been pleased with the performance. We do have some issues, but it's fairly easy to get to management and discuss those.We are able to use many of the tools, reports, and access in Kareo to improve our overall efficiency. We find claims go through successfully the majority of the time, entry screens are easy to use, and updating things like fee schedules are simple. Reporting is accurate and fairly easy to use, and we love the ability to write our own reports when we can't get what we need from the system (which is rare). There is a closed Facebook group of people who use the product and can support other users, and this is closely monitored by Kareo personnel, so it's a great way to interact and get help.

Larry Antosz

Kareo Billing Software

Reviewed 2017-01-19
Review Source: Software Advice

I was looking for a billing software for my relatively new part-time private practice (licensed clinical psychologist/psychotherapy). At the time I got the referrals from Software Advice, I was looking primarily at the moment to get started billing Medicare for an increasing client caseload with Medicare coverage. I contacted my three of the four companies provided to me and Kareo was the first to be able to set me up with billing Medicare, While now I can expand to use it for billing other insurances, I still have not set up another insurance to bill. So I will have to see how that goes. However, by consistently billing Medicare now with this software, I am familiar with many of the features of the software and billing is relatively quick and simple. I did sign up for Kareo's clinical software and while I am currently paying for it, I still have not used it. Once client and insurance info is set up, It is very quick and easy to bill online for each claim. Thus I am more likely to bill for each session soon after the session rather than waiting to bill a few sessions in a batch. Also, the software allows for printing out 1500 paper Forms. I have not tried this feature yet but it could save me time and hassles refiling if I can fill out the form through the software. I also think some of the online tutorials are very helpful and thus make getting information more convenient than have to sign up for a phone or video training session. I have had contact with a number of the training coaches and in general, they have all been very helpful and easy to access. The billing software is also set up to record payments, running balances, etc. I have not utilized that feature yet but it is nice to know that it is there.

Ashley Toutounchi

Worst Customer Service I have EVER experienced. Truly. Used over 8 different EHRs since residency, never experienced such a disaster.

Reviewed 2018-01-12
Review Source: Software Advice

Awful, I'm actually quite easy to please if a company does their part. I have done all their legwork, paid up front, still have no refill requests being submitted from pharmacies and no e-lab because no one ever bothered to instruct me to separately submit a new account with the labs. They only "discovered" this 3 months after the fact, when I demanded to talk to a manager. And then they sent me an automated enrollment email that should have been sent Day One. It's is a blackhole abyss of your time. Save your time- as doctors, it is much more valuable than doing the job, enrollments assistant that can't- and won't- do their job. The billing reports are detailed and efficient. Unfortunately, the biggest factor- A/R accounts- is completely skewed if you take insurance. They ONLY compute an A/R report based on your listed self pay rates...so you get a completely unusable number in delinquent collections that really doesn't mean much. Otherwise, it is easy to see your collections for the month, amount cash, credit, check, insurance payor. That's about the only positive thing I have to say.

Bev Young Reed

Communication SUCKS

Reviewed 2016-07-19
Review Source: Software Advice

It is easy to access patients and to schedule them. It looks pretty

Harout Dovlatyan

None are perfect, but Kareo is proficient

Reviewed 2016-06-20
Review Source: Software Advice

Easy to use front-end, great support line available. Ability to customize the branding, if you want. Lots and lots of reports, with the ability to use an API to download raw data and use an outside database to further customize the exact data you want. That you don't need your own IT staff to use the software (they host the solution) and you can have unlimited users without extra fees is a big advantage.

Amber Trader

Extraordinarily Disappointing

Reviewed 2017-09-21
Review Source: Software Advice

I would not recommend doing business with Kareo at all. Their products are sub-par. I have found out just how sub-par in the last 3 months of transitioning. Any organization that continues to charge a customer's credit card after twice confirming a plan cannot be trusted, and that was after numerous other broken promises. The people we worked with were all very nice, but the systems they had to work in failed to actually assist customers. Please invest your time and resources elsewhere. Our small 2 provider office started out relatively successfully with Kareo about 4 years ago with both EHR and Practice Management (PM). I thought my trainer did a good job. After that...it was downhill.

Terri Newton

Kareo is a great, simple, software program!

Reviewed 2016-05-04
Review Source: Software Advice

The program is simple so it is fast to train on. We are a billing company and physicians have turn over so we have to take a brand new employee and get them trained on the Kareo Billing program quickly. Within 30 minutes I can train an individual and I can even do it over the phone. The customer support has been really good and they are very knowledgeable.

Dorothy Trottier

Reviewed 2012-11-30
Review Source: Software Advice

I am the owner of Medical Specialty Billing, LLC, We will be celebrating our 13th year next month. We bill Multiple Specialties including ASC's. Surgeons and Family Practice. Up until 2006 we used Medisoft server based software. In 1996 we wanted a program that had more flexibility and did not have never-ending fees forcing us to buy every upgrade. We wanted a program that listened to it's users and was written as a software for billig companies. I did research and found that Kareo fit our needs. We have been using Kareo since 2006, for over 6 years now. Many upgrades have come though since our first year. We are able to offer our clients and customers so many options, including EMR integration & patient payment portals. Practice Fusion and other programs can be linked through a secure portal. We love to keep our clients satisfied and they love that we can give them up to the minute information. We have clients from California and Washington State, to Florida and Kansas. Our clients are able to log into their accounts and check out any information whenever they want. Even if its 5 am in California our Florida clients are working at 8am; they don't have to wait for a server to turn on, Kareo is always on for them. Additionally, Kareo is so easy and intuitive. One of my team members said its the easiest software she has seen to learn. The free video teaching webinars are great and very thorough. Some ask about support; I use Chat support if there are any questions I have. We all need support now and then and I have had the best experience with the support staff. They truly do want to help us succeed. We have benefited with the Kareo and Practice Fusion integration. We just signed up a new client who already was using Practice Fusion. He was very happy to know that he can continue with his same EMR and not have to make any changes. When asked, I always recommend Kareo .

JOEY MARIE

Gets the job done for basic Medical Billing / Patient Portal

Reviewed 2018-06-26

This is a program for medical practice and not big groups. The program provides basic tools to run a business and a successful growing practice. IT is a cloud based program which is great for providers / staff who are on the go and need access to the program. Also a plus if you have off site staff ex: Billers.

Sandy Lindquist

Loyal Customer for over Five Years

Reviewed 2016-08-25
Review Source: Software Advice

Kareo is a superb software in all ways including support. I love how easy it is to maneuver from screen to screen and how detailed every option is. Kareo support is the best from the website clear to contact us support. Issues are addressed and taken care of quickly and that is huge to a small business like mine.

Suzanne Johnson

Kareo has been instrumental in billing "clean claims" to the insurance.

Reviewed 2017-06-27

Clean claimsEasy to navigate and customer service is professional and helpful. Claim rejections are informative as far as what is needed by the payer and enrollment assistance is easy to access. Claim scrubbing can be done for each new patient which creates smooth billing for ongoing claims.

Bob Nichols

Reviewed 2013-02-07
Review Source: Software Advice

We are at a time in healthcare where nothing can be taken as a certainty. It is difficult to make long-term plans in such a rapidly changing environment. The healthcare delivery system itself is in a period of rapid change being driven by the nation’s economy, exploding technological advances and the ever increasing amount of regulations. Most folks in the medical practice are as they should be, focused on patient care. At the practice or billing company level we work hard every day to just process the daily work. We need someone to give us the tools to efficiently process encounters and get the practice paid. We need someone like Kareo, whose engineers and management understand both healthcare and technology. The Kareo platform is easy to get going, requires no long term contract or maintenance agreement, low to no start up costs – can be used stand alone or on a basic network to allow device sharing. It is intuitive, especially to someone who understands the workflow of medical claims. Paper claims can start going out the door on day one, certain commercial claims electronically in three days. It is feature rich – scheduling, insurance eligibility, document management system, automatic payment posting, “Alert” and “Task” features, Excel add-in for custom data extraction. The features go on and on so look at the website and videos. For a very affordable monthly payment, Kareo offers the tools to maximize your productivity while keeping you up-to-date with changes being required by our evolving healthcare system. They even offer multiple levels of service to accommodate every size office. Kareo is a very easy, low risk decision. When you consider they offer a comprehensive, high level practice management platform interfaced to a free EHR (Practice Fusion) there is the very real possibility you may find a home. We did at my billing service.

Nicole Castro

Medical Biller 5+ years experience using Kareo PMS

Reviewed 2015-03-10
Review Source: Software Advice

What I like best about Kareo is how the To Do List helps me prioritize my daily tasks. The Unpaid Claims Report gives all the details necessary for contacting payers regarding past due or no response claims. The statement process allows for personal notes to patients. And I especially like how the Provider Performance Reports keep my clients in the know with automatic emails about their daily, weekly or monthly key indicators.

Kevin Carmody

Kareo Billing and Practice Management programs work.

Reviewed 2017-02-10

We are a small practice, and handling the office management, administration and billing was taking too much time and manpower to address. The Kareo Practice Management app allows me to stay on top of issues and keep my practice running well. Their billing team is excellent and we have a dedicated team leader from Kareo (Tanya) who is outstanding. They have kept my A/R aging under control and have really helped me deal with the many hurdles you can face with insurance companies. I have been able to use my time on running and growing our business and have been able to focus our small office staff on customer service and revenue generating activities.Strongly recommend you check Kareo out.The support is excellent and you can always get a live voice to discuss issues and develop solutions.

Yogesh Sharma

Great support and help for billers

Reviewed 2018-03-11

It was a great system for a small clinic as I have experience with Epic as well. This software made my job easier as a scribe as we no longer need to use paper and pen.I think , billers must have created this tool. The integration with the clearing house is fabulous. We can track claims and work rejections/denials immediately.

Colleen Mrowka

I am a sole practitioner

Used other for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2017-06-08
Review Source: Software Advice

For a small practice, this is one of the. Ost cost effective programs I have seen. Progress note generates the billing. Professional reports, professional looking statements Can add timed codes for medicare patients so you can avoid a billing error. Can fax evaluation dirctly to MD upom creation .

Cheri Freeman

9 years and still happy with Kareo!

Reviewed 2016-05-29
Review Source: Software Advice

Love, love, love the document manager which makes it easy to manage, organize, and attach incoming documents from my various clients. Get new practices up and running, submitting claims within 48 hours. I don't have to batch and upload claims to a clearinghouse. I dont have to download ERAs from the clearinghouse. Everything is all in one place. Oh, and it is web based, no need for secure servers on my end and I can give access to my clients. Also no need to worry about backing up data.

Amy Zapalac

Kareo Software

Reviewed 2015-04-15
Review Source: Software Advice

The startup was flawless. The switch from one clearinghouse to another went smoothly. Support in the beginning was above expectations. Trainings were easy to follow. The product is very user-friendly.

Dave Stuart

Reviewed 2013-02-26
Review Source: Software Advice

I manage a small billing company that focuses exclusively on working with privately owned physical therapy practices, and have been in this segment of healthcare for the last eight years. Prior to that, I spent several years working with other specialties, as well as working for both government funded and commercial insurers. In all of my time in the industry, I've never found any other solution that is as simple yet comprehensive for managing medical billing than Kareo. I've used many, including huge legacy systems, and even off-the-shelf software solutions. When I looked to change from the system I was previously using, I looked first and foremost for a company that was providing a solution that would be hosted and maintained by someone other than me; I needed the time back in my schedule to be able to focus on running the billing aspect of my clients' practices. Second, I looked for a system that was scalable, offering each of my clients their own entry point from a feature and price standpoint. Third, I wanted a system that we could use in a collaborative fashion, and one that was entirely transparent. Implementation with Kareo is very smooth. Whether at initial setup and working through EDI enrollments, or as changes in the practices happen over time, changes are easily accomplished on the fly, with automation and assistance that brings simplicity to the process. Training is supplied by Kareo, another big plus for me and my clients. As personnel changes occur, training new folks is as easy as 'plugging them in' to the resources that are all provided by Kareo. In ending, I'll simply re-state what I said at the onset. In my opinion, I've not found a finer system to work with, and I highly recommend Kareo!

Sandy Lindquist

Best Support!

Reviewed 2017-02-24
Review Source: Software Advice

I am new at this billing venture and I would not have made it through had it not been for the fantastic support at Kareo. This is a dedicated company and I am fortunate enough to have become a part of it. The entire package is very user friendly but the support you receive is the best in the field. I have told many, many people about Kareo and how pleased I am with what they provide, I know others are looking into switching.support, ease of use