Kareo Reviews

Kareo

Cloud based solution for medical practice management

4.06/5 (505 reviews)

Pros
  • You couldn't imagine how helpful that was and amazing. To sum this up, I am truly in love with Kareo and their wonderful representatives that they have there.PATRICE C.Read the full review
  • With Kareo I feel like I am getting a quality product at a fair price. There are products out there that are way beyond their worth.Vincent A.Read the full review
  • Using Kareo has been a overall great experience. It does almost everything we want it to do well, and the few things it needs to improve it at least allows you to do partially.Teegan F.Read the full review
Cons
  • Their software has fatal bugs which will never be fixed. Your practice will fail because of this software.James F.Read the full review
  • Both the hospital lab we use and UCSF dermatopathology were unable to link with Kareo. The "voice reminder" feature is a really bad late '70's computerized voice.Mathew C.Read the full review
  • The telemedicine Is a separate department and does not integrate with the rest of the system. Responsiveness is minimal and appears to happen only when I threaten to leave.Lori E.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Teegan Fiedler

Great EHR with room for improvement for natural healthcare providers

Reviewed 2019-08-12

Pros
I love the layout of Kareo. The dashboard is great and offers a lot of functionality while still looking clean and professional. The clinical portion is great as it shows all the sections of the note on one page. The ability to add and remove sections is also very useful. The interaction checker is nice, but needs improvement. The iPad app is really slick and I preferring using it when adjusting my patients (Chiropractor), as it allows me to quickly tap on each segment I'm adjusting from a list.

Cons
There is very little support for natural products/supplements in Kareo. You CAN make it work, but it's definitely not easy - requiring manually entering every single product you wish to recommend in the "Drug Favorites" section.

Blake Overly

Kareo Practice Management

Reviewed 2020-03-16

Reporting, posting payments, sending invoices, etc are all a breeze with the software. Customer service is without a doubt the most helpful and easiest of any vendor I've ever used.

Pros
The software is very easy to use after a few weeks of learning the in's and out's. I likely don't utilize half of what the software is capable of, but it's perfect for what I need.

Cons
I wish it was possible to integrate the Kareo Practice Management software with more than one EHR in my industry. It is only available for Medicfusion integration.

Carolynn Nuesse

Great Software

Reviewed 2020-05-20

We have used Kareo for 8 years and its the best software that fits our practice!

Pros
I really like the reports and its easy to use!

Cons
Some features while using electronic posting to post medicare checks as secondary dont work properly

Mathew Cannava

Not good for our single-physician dermatology practice

Reviewed 2019-12-04

Not good. See my "Cons" list above. Unfortunately instead of month-to-month...the sales guy (who, after you sign up, you'll never hear from again) talked me into 1 year. Now I'm trying to buy out that year so we can go back to CollaborateMD...which was much more evolved...user-friendly...with features that actually work.

Pros
Fairly easy to use on a daily basis for me as the physician, entering SOAP notes. I did like immediately entering ICD-10 and CPT codes right after seeing the patient and writing my note. Relatively inexpensive compared to other options

Cons
Whew.... 1. I guess my expectations for a "success coach" were different from what they provide. If, during implementation you want to schedule time with your "coach," that person provides you a link to THEIR schedule and you find a time (usually at least a week away) and pencil yourself in. 2. Many ICD-10 and CPT codes for my specialty are not in Kareo when you go to create the superbill. It's been 2 years now....unacceptable. 3. To link to a lab or pathology...they provide you with a form which then gets sent to that lab. From there it's up to you to see that it happens. Both the hospital lab we use and UCSF dermatopathology were unable to link with Kareo. 4. The "voice reminder" feature is a really bad late '70's computerized voice. If it calls a patient and gets a voicemail...it begins talking as soon as it hears a voice (the message) so by the time the patient's recorder begins recording...the message is already almost over. The patient is left wondering what that computerized voice was and who called? 5. The visual accounting screen is really poorly laid out.

Response from Kareo

Hello Mathew, Thank you for letting us know about your experience with our system. We value any and all feedback about our software, as it helps us to continually evolve and improve our services. It is important to us that your practice is set up for success in every way possible, and our Success team is an important part of that process. In addition, our Support team is available and willing to provide immediate support if your Success coach is unavailable. We currently have a specialist assigned to your account, and they will be contacting you immediately to address your specific concerns.

Regards,

Likelihood to recommend: 2/10

Shirley Walker

Easy to learn and use

Reviewed 2020-02-19

When we first went to Kareo, we were coming off a system that had brought us to our knees: nothing worked right, clients were frustrated and we had no faith in things reported in the system. Kareo changed all of that for us--we were able to have reports we could trust, true transparency for the clients, and so many functions we were able to do more efficiently.

Pros
We love that the software is intuitive, and we can teach a clinic how to use it (on a basic level) in about an hour. The reports are accurate and easy to use. We can set up favorite reports, and generally get help whenever we're "stuck"

Cons
Enrollments--getting providers enrolled properly and getting assistance with those enrollments. Also, we really dislike that they offshore their help desk. It's challenging to get someone who can help us when we get an offshore rep. We also wish there was a better defined collections procedure/status in the system which would help us better monitor what's gone to collection. We cannot bill UB04 charges for facilities out of Kareo.

Suzanne Johnson

REVIEW OF KAREO

Reviewed 2020-02-14

Kareo has made billing a smooth process and accounts receivable is manageable in a timely fashion. Any issues are clearly identified and resolved.

Pros
The ability to perform a little extra claim scrubbing on the front end and also simple explanations for any rejections or denials.

Cons
The system gets very slow periodically and we are not able to use the document storage because it slows it down even more.

Jytte Hale

Kareo billing system and EHR.

Reviewed 2019-10-18

Pros
Integrates seamlessly with the EHR documentation system I use. Electronic billing with submission of clean claims 99.99% of the time.

Cons
Posting payments from EOB does not always reconcile requiring a manual time consuming correction.

Sarah B. Fiedler

Helpful to streamline your practice

Reviewed 2019-08-14

Pros
I like that Stripe is automatically connected to the biller to easily transfer payments from patient to practice. I like the automatic texting and emailing to patients to confirm appointments.

Cons
This software contains codes for all insurance billing purposes; however, if you are cash-based practice and entering in supplements to sell, the manual process by which this is done is clunky and inefficient.

Anonymous

Kareo - The most user friendly billing software I have encountered

Reviewed 2019-08-08

When I initially saw the layout of Kareo I love it. All of the tabs are clearly labeled and I was able to navigate the software without any training. However once we started posting and applying payments, it began to get tricky. Since we were new to the software Kareo supplied someone to come out and train our employees and his personal line so we were able to call him whenever we have questions. That was a great help. We also enjoyed their training videos supplied on Kareo university.

Pros
It is a clean looking software and is very quick. It is very quick and easy to input payments and make notes on the payments. It is also easy to look at the AR to see what was denied, pending, etc. Most of the denials also have codes that help us figure out why it has not been paid.

Cons
Some parts of the program are confusing and not intuitive. Applying payments seems like it is a more extensive process than it needs to be. Calling for customer service is also a pain because I am often on hold for a long time, at least 30 minutes, and the people I am calling often do not seem knowledgeable.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Patrick Shaw

3 year review

Reviewed 2020-04-16
Review Source: Software Advice

Overall Kareo has been a good learning experience for me to determine what I expect and need from an EHR system. I have been looking into others systems and expect to be with another company within a year. For a small clinic, this may work well for a provider. For a Group Practice that is expanding, it is lacking the support for the amount of issues they are working to fix.

Pros
Price. As a new practice, price was very influential in the decision to go with Kareo. Our Success Coach was very helpful at first. Kareo appeared to have a high turnover initially which made it difficult during the first several months. However the Success Coaches were the highlight of Kareo's customer support.

Cons
The fact of the matter is their customer support lacks the manpower to answer calls in a timely manner to be helpful. I have had staff/myself on hold for over 30 min waiting to get through to customer support on several occasions. Just in the last couple weeks I opened a case file. Kareo says they will have someone call you within a certain time-frame. A week later I had my staff call to only find out that the case was closed out without anyone calling us and the problem still persisted. We have issues with provider super billing that rearranges diagnosis codes from the provider view to the billing view. Provider lists diagnosis in a certain order and when billing receives it it is in a different order.

Response from Kareo

Hello Patrick, Thank you for sharing your candid feedback with us. We are committed to working with you on overcoming any obstacles you've experienced, and will have someone reach out to you directly to discuss your concerns more in depth.

Thank you again for your honest feedback, and we look forward to speaking to you soon,

Regards,

Likelihood to recommend: 2/10

Jacob Van Cleve

Kareo Billing Software

Reviewed 2019-09-17

Overall we've been pretty happy with Kareo. There are a few features we miss from our old software but some of the features we gained by switching to Kareo mostly make up for the difference.

Pros
The main reason we were drawn to Kareo was it's API. It helped that it is cloud based and user friendly but our focus was on the ability to get the data out for use in reporting and our proprietary software and we were able to do that with Kareo.

Cons
The canned reporting is okay but most of the reports export to excel in an unusable format (or at least a difficult to use format with filler cells and merged cells).

Rahul Gor

Great software for billing but the EHR could use some polish

Reviewed 2019-03-01

My overall experience with Kareo is very good. We use them for our software and practice management. I’m not using the EHR as it is not included with the package and there are some limitations for my specialty when participating in the MIPS .

Pros
The software is web-based and very easy to use on the iPad as well as any other format that supports the browser. It is easy and intuitive to use and everything is well laid out. You can access the data most of the time you’re only limitation is the speed of your browser The software is web-based and very easy to use on the iPad as well as any other format that supports the browser. It is easy and intuitive to use and everything is well laid out. You can access the data most of the time you’re only limitation is the speed of your browser The software is modular in that you paid for different modules from the E in charge of the software and practice management features They have a great feature set. There always improving and adding more functionality.

Cons
There are too many marketing advertisements in my email for other features. The HR should be included for free if we do the practice management it doesn’t make sense to be forced to use another software. The practice management needs to have more versatility with the types of reports we can generate it is plenty of boilerplate template that should suffice most practices. They need to have better support for doctors were trying to participate in there are too many marketing advertisements in my email for other features. Each shot should be included for free if we do the practice management it doesn’t make sense to be forced to use another software. The practice management needs to have more versatility with the types of reports we can generate at this point your boilerplate template that should suffice most practices. They need to have better support for doctors were trying to participate in MIPS. They should be a QCDR.

Shelley Gaines

Medical Billing Lead

Reviewed 2016-09-07
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
Ease of use. There is a lot of helpful educational information, and when you call the reps are very knowledgeable and sincere about helping you with your problem.

Cons
When looking at payments entered daily, I would like to be able to scroll back and forth in the calendar rather than enter the dates. There is a daily report, but I just want to quickly scroll through the dates. This is one feature that would be nice, at least for me to quickly check to be sure all money is posted daily. The reps are very knowledgeable and willing to help you in most cases, except for one issue when I wanted to sign up for ERA's. It was not clear to me that there was a deadline and he closed my case before I faxed the forms. If he could have extended the timing, it would have helped- I also work in a different office, so I am not able to get doctor's signature immediately, and we were in the middle of integrating at the time. Also- your integration with P. Fusion- could be improved. The other systems PFusion integrates with are not so difficult with every character matching, etc., and this has been hard for our office. It is still new, so hopefully it will get easier. another thing I thought of- there are occasions where you have to delete or change a payment, and if you enter this before the insurance EOB comes in, and you find you need to change it, or apply some of this to another date of service, you can't easily delete payment information once it has been applied to a visit without having to delete all the claims data. This is unfortunate. I did speak with a rep who showed me how to copy the messages and re post in notes, but this is cumbersome if there are a lot of transactions. okay, I think that is enough feedback for today. I do love Kareo!

Gregory Piponius

Almost 3 years of use and we still love it!

Reviewed 2016-07-12
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
I came to our practice with no experience in health care and was immediately tasked with firing our 3rd party billing company and bringing everything back in house with Kareo. I had no experience in billing, patient demographics, insurance, posting payments etc. Within one week of our launch... we had the basics down and were able to seamlessly transition our single physician practice to Kareo. Payments were coming in within the first 30 days. We also have a linked EHR system so our claims are easy to do with our doctor able to have the DX codes all input at the clinical note stage and everything seamlessly transitions right over to billing. We are so fast at it that our previous day's claims are out the door by 10AM the following day. I love this system and the folks that support it.

Cons
Some payers will make surprise changes in their EID that do not get updated into system tested into Kareo in a timely manner. It normally is discovered when payment posting gets out of whack and then it is discovered that the payer made a change in the technical date interchange. Then discovered that the change was not system tested in Kareo. It is a little bit of finger pointing on who is to blame for the interchange misses.... but don't get me wrong... when issue is discovered - they work to fix it - it just takes some time.

Barbara Witherspoon

Reviewed 2013-01-13
Review Source: Software Advice

I am a nurse practitioner with my own practice seeing patients primarily in nursing homes. I also do my own billing. When I was setting up my practice, I was told about Practice Fusion EMR software by a colleague. I saw that Practice Fusion is integrated with a billing system called Kareo, so I decided to check it out. Once I saw what they had to offer, I didn't look any further. Cost got my attention first, but the more I learned about it, the more I liked what I saw. I have done medical billing for years in the past as an office manager. I am also a CPA, and I did consulting work in which I helped physician practices choose and set up billing systems. Compared to the older systems, Kareo is light-years better. Implementation of Kareo took some time and effort. At first I thought it would be intuitive, and it is to a certain extent. These days billing is so complex, however, that I have some to see that it would be almost impossible to come up with a system that is entirely intuitive. I needed to complete the training, and then I was good to go. One thing that is really nice is the ability to choose training videos on the topics you need to learn about. The training videos are excellent. I did my training by starting a video, pausing it to enter my own data into Kareo, then continue on. This provided me with hands-on training, and it was very helpful. I also like the fact that I can go back at any time to view the videos again, and I can also view videos on topics or features of Kareo that I am using for the first time. I chose to purchase customer support for the first month only, because I am pretty savvy when it comes to billing systems. During that time, the team was very nice, very helpful, and oh so patient with me. I always got the answers I needed. One of the things that I especially like about Kareo is the reports that can be run. In the "old days" you could only run certain reports that were set-up by the system. It never made sense to me that there was a huge database of information, yet it could only be accessed in limited ways. Kareo provides many options for reports. I personally like the accounts receivable reports as well as the report that shows revenue from each facility where I practice. Probably the biggest benefit I have received from Kareo is the time savings. I have to balance my time between my clinical responsibilities and my financial and billing activities. I am sure I could not do this without Kareo. Bottom line: I am a very satisfied customer, and I would choose Kareo all over again if I had to choose.

Nina Lau

kareo survey

Reviewed 2020-03-10

I love the no response files. If you work those, you will rarely ever have a timely filing issue again. I also really like how we can add suggestions to better the software and Kareo listens.

Pros
I love the ease of use with Kareo. You can literally sit down, bring up kareo and start billing if you just read the screens. I've worked off of other softwares including Athena, Epic etc and the ease of Kareo is definately refreshing.

Cons
I have a wish list of a couple i things I wish Kareo had. On the clinical side, i would to be able to set up Kareo notes that it would automatically pull the cpt codes into the superbill. On both sides, platform and billing, i wish Kareo would hook up with the NPPES file so when i search for a doctor or practice for referring purposes, all the info would be there.

LuAnn Jenkins

review

Reviewed 2019-03-08

Good. We have now moved all our clients to Kareo from other software.

Pros
We love being able to use Jopari for work comp and auto, I do not find other software offering this. Also printing the HCFA with background from the system has saved us huge amounts of time and money with our significant volume of work comp and auto.

Cons
Reporting could be better; we would like some standard reports that we have in other software and have not had the time to work on custom reports. We need reports that we can run easily by CPT codes; client often have questions on what they have brought in by specific codes and the reports can be confusing. Also just basic year over year summary of charges, receipts and adjustments would nice. Enrollment is better but still an issue that slows down new clients. We can't print the UB form with the background for faxing claims. We want batch numbers on patient payments so we can track the office collection. ASC Medicare rates do not show up in the contract & Fees; it defaults to the professional fee schedule.

Vivian Sturz

Welcome to Affordable Practice Management

Reviewed 2015-11-04

My office began using Kareo Practice Management software in January, 2015. We had been using our previous vendor since 1986 and although it still works, it was costing $14,000.00 a year for support which we rarely, if ever, used. When I found Kareo at $299 per month I had to give it a try. I began training myself in October 2014 through all of the training platforms Kareo offers. I read the articles, I watched the videos, I emailed and spoke with them on the phone. I found the system easy to learn and kind of fun to use. I introduced the rest of the staff to it in December after deciding that it could work for us. The most difficulty they had was entering insurance carriers for patients which in Kareo are called "cases." Through videos and phone calls they finally got the hand of it. Our practice does not accept any kind of insurance and we opted out of Medicare so I cannot comment on submitting claims through Kareo. I do print up paper claims for surgery patients and the only problem I have with that is you can't print up a claim once the patient has paid the bill and you have entered the payment into the system. You have to remove the payment and change the responsible party to the patient's insurance company and then print a claim which does not show a payment. After printing, you have to go back to the patient's account and undo the changes you made. If your practice participates with various insurance companies, this would not be an issue for you. I also don't use the Kareo billing service. I print up the statements and mail them out myself. The statement template is very well laid out and looks very neat and professional. We transitioned into ICD-10 with no problem whatsoever. Kareo has all of the ICD-10 codes listed and it was a breeze to use their Superbill template and change the ICD-9 codes to ICD-10 codes. We were using our new Superbill on October 1st and everything went smoothly. Kareo even provided us with a list of our most used diagnosis codes and their corresponding ICD-10 codes. Kareo also provides constant updates and they install very quickly and have never caused the software to crash. All in all, I am extremely happy with Kareo. The software works, it's easy to learn and they provide excellent and friendly support. If you call them you are able to speak with someone immediately and they walk you through any problem you may be having. Long live Kareo!

Deborah Jenkins

Kareo Review

Reviewed 2016-09-21
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
Our office has used Kareo as our billing software for the past three years. It is comprehensive and meets our billing needs. The support team for Kareo's PM software is phenomenal. I have called frequently over the past three years for customized support and have always gotten highly professional, pleasant and helpful representatives

Cons
Some of the information from our electronic records software does not always come over to Kareo as expected. I also don't understand why some of the doctors information seems to come over and others does not. I don't fully grasp how insurance companies get set up and approved to receive electronic claims.

Response from Charlton

Hi Deborah,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Happy to hear Kareo's software meets your billing needs and that you find our support team professional, pleasant and helpful!

We'd like to reach out for more information regarding your mention of some of the information from your EHR not always coming over to Kareo as expected. Please email us at customersuccessteam@kareo.com to confirm your account/contact information so we may help look into this for you.

Also, here is the link to our free training courses: https://helpme.kareo.com/01_Kareo_PM/Kareo_PM_Training. Please do not hesitate to register for a live training or take an online course at your leisure.

Dianne Easom

Best billing software among others

Reviewed 2019-01-23

Problems that I have solved by using Kareo is not having to deal with a clearinghouse at all...it saves me tons of time. Kareo is so much easier to learn and get up and running from the start compared to so many softwares out there....it's just a terrific experience and I highly recommend it!!

Pros
Being linked automatically with a clearinghouse and the ease of submitting claims and rebilling is far better than other softwares I have ever used. The ability to enter data is far easier and quicker than with those other softwares.

Cons
There's only 1 thing I have not liked about the software and that is the inability to modify all reports. For example statements/receipts to patients for payments they make. The provider return address is not in the upper left hand corner of the statement/receipt so it can be mailed...I have to handwrite the return address on it. Also there isn't a single report that can be given to a patient that contains the provider info, patient info, services and all their pertinent info plus any payments and adjustments so they can turn them in to their insurance or claim rep. I have to submit 2 separate reports.

Vincent Adofoli

Affordable pricing and way less politics

Reviewed 2019-10-14

I love the billing software and will incorporate EHR soon. This is business done well and I get my money's worth.

Pros
With Kareo I feel like I am getting a quality product at a fair price. There are products out there that are way beyond their worth. Kareo is just right and I never feel pressured into doing something unnecessary. Billing portion is hands down the best I have seen due to its ease of use when using the cloud base. The desktop base (PM) is a bit tricky and would need some time to figure out. But overall it is great and worth the money you paid for. Remote support team is very efficient in answering matters at hand. I love it!

Cons
I can't really think of a con. I mean you have to spend time learning the software. Practice owners should spend time learning the ropes so as to stay on top. Reason being, no one would ever appreciate and love your product more than you the owner.

Shirley Walker

Easy to use and improves efficiency

Reviewed 2018-05-16
Review Source: Software Advice

This is our third software program in 8 years in business. This has been the most accurate, easiest to teach, and most integrative of the ones we've used. It's a good value for the money, and we've been pleased with the performance. We do have some issues, but it's fairly easy to get to management and discuss those.

Pros
We are able to use many of the tools, reports, and access in Kareo to improve our overall efficiency. We find claims go through successfully the majority of the time, entry screens are easy to use, and updating things like fee schedules are simple. Reporting is accurate and fairly easy to use, and we love the ability to write our own reports when we can't get what we need from the system (which is rare). There is a closed Facebook group of people who use the product and can support other users, and this is closely monitored by Kareo personnel, so it's a great way to interact and get help.

Cons
We would like to be able to do things across all our clients (enterprise level), and to have a cleaner collections follow-up, without having to adjust things off and make notes, etc.,

Anthony Alatriste

Software is efficient and reliable

Reviewed 2019-09-08

Software is efficient and reliable, will recommend it

Pros
Software is easy to use for billing, has few problems but they are updating it.

Cons
Need improvement in the Electronic Medical records, but they are updating.

Response from Kareo

Antony, we appreciate your pleasant review. As you mentioned we are putting many resources into product enhancements that we release each month. Thank you for choosing Kareo!

Best,

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Larry Antosz

Kareo Billing Software

Reviewed 2017-01-19
Review Source: Software Advice

I was looking for a billing software for my relatively new part-time private practice (licensed clinical psychologist/psychotherapy). At the time I got the referrals from Software Advice, I was looking primarily at the moment to get started billing Medicare for an increasing client caseload with Medicare coverage. I contacted my three of the four companies provided to me and Kareo was the first to be able to set me up with billing Medicare, While now I can expand to use it for billing other insurances, I still have not set up another insurance to bill. So I will have to see how that goes. However, by consistently billing Medicare now with this software, I am familiar with many of the features of the software and billing is relatively quick and simple. I did sign up for Kareo's clinical software and while I am currently paying for it, I still have not used it.

Pros
Once client and insurance info is set up, It is very quick and easy to bill online for each claim. Thus I am more likely to bill for each session soon after the session rather than waiting to bill a few sessions in a batch. Also, the software allows for printing out 1500 paper Forms. I have not tried this feature yet but it could save me time and hassles refiling if I can fill out the form through the software. I also think some of the online tutorials are very helpful and thus make getting information more convenient than have to sign up for a phone or video training session. I have had contact with a number of the training coaches and in general, they have all been very helpful and easy to access. The billing software is also set up to record payments, running balances, etc. I have not utilized that feature yet but it is nice to know that it is there.

Cons
I really do not have a specific complaint about the software or the staff support.

selina wentzel

billing ease

Reviewed 2019-10-02

always updating and improving for the better - user friendly and always helpful staff - that find the answer within reason

Pros
easy posting - one or two of the reports come in handy

Cons
could use better reports - also, when you look up a claim and you are under that patient - It would be nice to have the system go right to that patient instead of having to scroll to find it.