Valant Reviews

3.88/5 (132 reviews)

Donna Carmosky, MD

Good, but with a few stupid annoying issues

Reviewed 2017-10-19
Review Source: Software Advice

Tech support people are nice, but when there is a system-wide issue, they do not answer the phones. They have been unable to solve the repeated crashing of Silverlight and the issue with not accepting diagnoses when entered in mobile notes.I like that it is just for psychiatry and I like mobile notes. I like having integrated prescribing, billing, and credit card processing, electronic EOB's from payers. I like that there is an app for my iPad and iPhone so I can take a quick look at notes and write prescriptions. I like the reminders that the system gives, the ease of scheduling appointments and entering payments. With an electronic EOB, you just hit a button and all the payments and adjustments are recorded automatically. Beware that the integrated insurance clearing house adds more to the monthly fee you pay.

Theresa Arnett Nickolalus

Valant Behavioral Health

Reviewed 2016-11-07
Review Source: Software Advice

I have been using Valant EHR for Behavioral health for approximately 11 months now. I struggled with this company at first as is typical in my experience with the sales staff wanting to hurry up and close the sale. I was left with a few questions hanging. I use an ipad, iphone and Macbook pro. As you can see, I am exclusively and apple user. This made the difference for me. There was one EHR that really had most of what I wanted, minus the apple support. It was PIMSY. I have probably tried 20 EHR types, ranging from FREE to paid. This one iis monthly for one provider. I do not like the fact that they want to charge monthly for a login for my assiantant. Again I am a solo practitioner, so every little bit does count. I DO like the fact that an intake/Psychiatrist Diagnostic Evaluation is already preloaded with screeners, automatic scoring and auto generated reports that you can modify!! I do NOT like their Treatment Plan Template. Definitely something that they need to work on. HOWEVER, they seem to be making changes based upon the feedback that I and others have left. So that is good to know. I absolutely appreciate the intake information is so well implemented. I can capture just about everything with minimal typing. I also appreciate the fact that there are so many screening tools that AUTOMATICALLY give the results. I can customize those results as well. Very good job on this part!

Theresa Arnett Nickolaus

After much product testing...Valant wins!

Reviewed 2017-08-18
Review Source: Software Advice

I have tested may EHR's and Valant is the one I chose after about 3 years of demo's and research. Some EHR's that I have reviewed: Kareo, Practice Fusion, TheraNest, PIMSY, ICANotes, drcrono, Theramanager, and iSALUS. My office is a single provider, nonprofit. I am able to type notes in during a session and sign at the end of the session with ease. If I'm providing in home care, Apple's Siri works great for dictation and integrates seamlessly. 1. Valant offers as part of the intake note, numerous assessments that are automatically scored! 2. Customizable for how you would like to view buttons. 3. Group Notes automatically carry over from the first note in the general section, VERY helpful! 4. Prepopulated from the last note, so you do not need to go back to review. 5. Customer service is amazing. Follow up email or phone questions are quickly answered without constant need for follow up. 6. Cloud based. 7. 100% compatible with Mac, iPad, iPhone & Windows.

Mark Ingram

Reliable software, but outdated interface and surpassed in features by competitors.

Reviewed 2016-10-19

I have used Valant for almost 3 years and I am considering moving to a different EHR system. I have been told a complete redesign is in the works, however, they offer no details, time table or roadmap. Here are some of my thoughts Pros: The claims submission/reporting process is very reliable and easy and the primary reason I still use them. The online measures are very good and helpful although many of them have bugs. Pricing is OK. Customer service is fantastic and their training is excellent. They will have you up and running quickly. Cons: It is primarily oriented towards psychiatrists, so many of the templates and features a focused on psychiatrists, not psychologists or therapists. Many of the other features have bugs, limited usefulness and the program is slow and the interface is very outdated and inconsistent. In many ways it reminds of of Windows 98, that is how outdated it is. The mobile notes feature is cumbersome and has no ability to customize it to your usage; the calendar syncs one-way only with external calendars so you must log in to Valant to make changes; reminders only work in the Valant system and only remind you on the dashboard with a note (there are no reminders at all really and they must be tied to a client so you can't add reminders for things that are not directly related to a client which requires you to maintain two separate calendars); the "mobile" application is little more than a webpage with basic information in a text format, it's is not designed for mobile devices, the interface is horrible and looks and functions as if it is 15 years out of date and has little functionality, it is more of an afterthought; you can't customize mobile notes templates or choose which ones you want to use, whenever you use a mobile note you are blasted by 30 different tabs 25 of which won't apply to therapists and which makes a confusing and messy experience; claims processing is expensive (.60/claim by my calculations) and the competition is charging between .14 and .25. In general most of the basic features you need are there and work, but they are frustrating at times and lack many additional features that are natural to need. My primary concern is after 2+ years there has been little change in the software and the value is being reduced as they are falling behind in features and functionality.

Brittainy Wagner

What I think about Valant

Reviewed 2017-01-16
Review Source: Software Advice

First off, their customer support is top notch and is very responsive. There are never any wait times, and they always seem to have the answer. The software is extremely easy to use and didn't take me long to learn at all. However, it is a bit more pricey than others out there. Most of my colleagues use Simple Practice, while I use Valant. Valant I feel has a more professional look to it and is more powerful in a sense of the reports that it can generate. It has the ability to have an integrated calendar (which I like) and you can scan documents to client files. They also have pre-generated templates, when coupled with dragon speaking software, gets my note taking down to 5 minutes per note!Can generate multiple reports including insurance aging reports, what income you have generated monthly, etc. It reminds you when you haven't completed client notes. It lets you know if you haven't submitted claims for billing Can integrate billing into the software for 1 click billing of claims client portal You can create your own templates There are measures that you can have clients complete prior to being seen that helps with diagnosing. Customer support rocks They're trying to update their software based on customer feedback

Annette Munoz

Amazing Software System

Reviewed 2016-10-06
Review Source: Software Advice

Our Business was looking for a completely integrated system to provide the best treatment for our patients. We were given several suggestions from Software advice and one of the suggestions was VALANT. We researched several software systems and decided on Valant. Claims and eligibility are done with the clearinghouse that does all processes in real time, which will increase cash flow for the business. Patients are able to log on to a patient portal to send messages and emails securely online to the therapist directly. Assessments can be sent to patient prior to appointment to fill out. Scheduling and reminders are sent automatically. You can do notes anywhere not only in an office setting. The training staff is so helpful and willing to help you in anyway possible to make your transition smooth. Once you start or "go live" the Valant support staff is there to help you with any questions during your transition and after. I can not say enough good things about this system and the staff at Valant. I believe this is one if not the best system we have come across. Integrated system Patient Portal to send assessments prior to appointment Valant will allow you to set up the system for your particular practice. EMR templates designed specifically for behavioral health providers cost is reasonable compared to competitors real time claims and eligibility HIPPAA compliant messages sent to provider and patients

Andrea Turnipseed

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE

Reviewed 2018-09-07

We have had problems with getting any customer service and help with technical issues. They have told us for at least 2 years that an upgrade was coming to the system so we did not change after the first year because we were holding out, but now it has been too long and we are seeking a new provider. Ease of use with scheduling and documenting

Sheri Fluellen

Take the good with the bad

Reviewed 2017-01-11
Review Source: Software Advice

There are many things I like about Valant, such as the overall look and navigation. However, after having used it for 5 years, I have found some chronic problems. The most impactful issue is that sometimes our appointments "undo" themselves. Either they were entered in and then disappear or they are deleted and reappear. I assume this is related to the syncing from our computers back to their servers. Maybe their servers are too slow, I don't know. The other major issue is that the processing of the website is super slow quite often. It gets bogged down and after clicking on a button, it the "spin" for quite a while before either doing something or erroring out. Customer support isn't any help, which is very frustrating. Another issue is the lack of clarifying in their reporting. They have a large number of reports to choose from but very little information on what the report means, what info it is pulling front, and how to interpret it (some of the reports seem very obscure). I don't like that I can add providers but they have a policy against removing them. I don't like that I have to pay a large chunk of money every time I onboard and therapist for the billing set up. These are my biggest complaints. After having demo'd a number of other EMRs over the past month, I am finding other EMRs having some nice functionalities that Valant doesn't offer.

Christianne Harmon

I would NOT recommend Valant

Reviewed 2017-04-06

I have been a practice manager for a psychotherapy practice since 1998. I have worked with 3 different practice management softwares. My practice switched to Valant in 2014 because we wanted to go web-based. I have had issues with them from the start. The reporting is not very good. We are not able to run accurate reports of % collected per month. When you run an aging report it shows the full charge balance but not the expected amount owed based on the fee schedule. Once the appointments are saved they become separate from the transaction so if a change is made in the appointment is is not updated in the transaction automatically. This has caused many billing errors. There is not a copy from bottom to copy patient demographics to the responsible party or to the subscriber or to another family member. Therefore you have to re-enter the address, phone #s and insurance information when entering other family members. It does not have a zip code library so that when you enter the zip code it automatically filled in city and state. If you enter in an authorization after a client has been seen it doesn't not count down based on the sessions you attach it to so you have to remember to count down manually. We initially used the patient portal but stopped using it because the patient forms were not customizable therefore we had to upload our paper forms onto the portal and the patients ended up having to print them out anyways. I know that it is possible to do all of these things because our old software Therapist Helper has these features. They just are not web-based yet. I have sent my suggestions to Valant customer service however they keep telling me that they are not able to make significant changes to the software but they will keep it mind. They also have been saying that they are working on another version of the software so their focus is on creating the new software instead of fixing the current software. The customer support was decent and the tech support reps usually know what they are talking about and are able to fix any issues that we have (other than the above issues). The electronic billing works pretty good and ERAs are easy to apply.-electronic claims submission -ERAs

Terry Dethrow

Wonderful experience with Valant!

Reviewed 2015-09-28
Review Source: Software Advice

Easy to use, Mental Health orientated and complete. I like the fact that it's not geared to the medical community and tweeked to fit the mental health field. The vendor has been easy to work with, listens to recommendations and has made upgrades that are true improvements. We had a very smooth conversion from our old system to Valant. We were given a lot of support and training through the process. The ICD 10 conversion process has been a breeze.

Jayson Lobley

Merchant Services

Reviewed 2017-09-15
Review Source: Software Advice

We use Clearent LLC. For our merchant services. Family owner Direcr processor business with 24/7 support and actually answer the phone yes a real person! Also they do next day funding. Been in the healthcare business for a long time and tons of our software options restrict you from using the most economical source of merchant services which Valent does not, this is priceless when your locked into a 5 year contract connected to a partnership of the software company and processor. Your rates end up being forced into a Monopoly like scenario and your stuck. Anyone who does the books or can understand merchant service statements knows what I'm talking about. This program unlike multiple other proprietary software forces you to use 1 merchant service company

Alisa Murray

Professional-looking notes...when we can get it to work

Reviewed 2017-05-17

Great notes, cloud-based integrated notes and billingI really like the way the therapy notes are laid out. Check boxes make charting easy and professional, especially when remarking on suicidality. I have had positive comments from MDs and attorneys.

Debra Fredericks

Best EMR I could find for the money.

Reviewed 2018-04-22

professionalized my small private practice for a price I can afford.The customer service is great. Negotiating around site is user friendly. I like the word add on. Wish it worked with more browsers.

Michael Marcin

Great for Individual Practitioners and Multi-Site Users

Reviewed 2010-03-10

While my practice has decided not to continue using this product in our group practice due to the limits of the scheduling function, I personally continue using it for several other off-site contracts that I have. This is really it's strength. As long as I have secure internet access, I can use it anywhere. And once again, I very much endorse the ease, speed and quality of the integrated transcription service.This product is very useful in many ways: great for those of us who write or refer to notes from many different locations, quck speed, the site logic is relatively easy to pick up, great customer support, very good cost, nice and easy way to write prescriptions and order labs. The other really helpful service is their transcription service that is nicely tied into the notes function. The quality is really high with very few corrections needed. The cost is slightly higher than other options that out-source internationally, but I would rather pay a few pennies more for the quality and speed. Nearly every transcription gets turned around by the next day.

Angela Hoffman

VALANT is a great product for small practice

Reviewed 2016-03-16
Review Source: Software Advice

The software does everything that my small practice needs. It compiles CMS1500s, tracks invoices and income and balance sheets, plus keeps track of documentation that may be pending. It has safeguards to help keep your information current, and has wonderful customer support and user friendly self-help guides. It helps keep me organized and on track with billing and documentation. I have been using this product for about six months and continue to learn more and more features every time I use it!

Patrick Scott

Reviewed 2008-09-30

For any clinician who wants more control over their medical record, this is the suite for you.I have only recently begun to use the EMR system and find it so much easier and more effective than either the old paper and pen charting or even dictated hospital records. I like the ease of scheduling one's own clients and how easy it is to customize the system to one's own practice needs.

Joni Kreitzer

The Gersten Center is proud to be a current Valant user

Reviewed 2015-10-02
Review Source: Software Advice

What we like best about the product is that our clinicians love the product and as a result they have embraced our new EMR. This allows the practice to focus on healthcare rather than operations, which was our primary goal in choosing a new system. What has stood out since our first conversation with Valant is the caliber of professionals we are working with. Everyone from our sales representative, conversion coordinator, and with emphasis, our implementation specialist have been intelligent, well trained, knowledgeable and very very patient. The Valant staff guided us through every step of what can be a very complicated transition.

Joe Figuereo

The best we could find at that price point.

Reviewed 2017-12-22
Review Source: Software Advice

It’s certainly not the Cadillac but it’s better than middle of the road. You get used to the quirks, but it being designed around psychiatry can really make a difference. Some of the Cadillac EHR’s were just too expensive for what you would actually use. It’s geared specifically toward psychiatry. The notes are set up to be very thorough. Intakes will take you forever for some time, though you should be able to bill at the highest level if you fill the entire intake out. Once you get the hang of it, the features are pretty handy.

Erin Molyneaux

Valant User Review

Reviewed 2017-06-09
Review Source: Software Advice

-Easy to learn -Excellent Customer Service -Ability for patients to fill out assessments in a secure patient portal which routes directly to chart and ultimately to clinician note -text and voice apt reminders

Corey Schliep

I highly recommend this product

Reviewed 2014-05-20
Review Source: Software Advice

They have designed a user-friendly system that streamlines the functions of the front office and the back office. The system is fairly easy for all new users to learn it. Their customer service has been wonderful and responds quickly to any questions that we have. We hired them to come to our office for two days to train our entire staff at one time. They were great at working with users at all different levels and were very personable. This training allowed for live role plays to walk the users through the process and help everyone move at through the change process together. Change is always difficult and can take months to successfully make transitions from one practice management system to another. Their on-site presence was time well spent.

Matthew Barnas, MD

Buyer beware.

Reviewed 2018-04-29
Review Source: Software Advice

Valant unilaterally extended us for 12 months, when we were a few months away from closing out our account with them (with Valant's tech team assisting our switch, and business side aware) - and they sent the "renewal notification" to a random person who was not ever a part of our practice. We are contesting their charges with the bank, filing a complaint with the better business bureau, and will proceed to court if necessary. It has been an unfortunate and unprofessional experience dealing with Valant, not to mention we were also dissatisfied with the product. Buyer beware.We found the product lacking overall. The functionality of the documentation side is too limited, including features related to MACRA/Meaningful Use.

Sheila Burns

Valant delivered on the clinical side of the application but was not productive on the billing side.

Reviewed 2018-09-14
Review Source: Software Advice

Valant appeared to be a better program than what was actually delivered. The billing sector does not work well and caused many delays in payments.Relatively comprehensive program overall, had appointment reminders, multiple options in documentation and connected notes through the schedule.

Roxann Hackbarth

Very Nice Program

Reviewed 2017-02-22
Review Source: Software Advice

If you are looking for a very specific mental health EMR this is the one you should look at. The entire EMR is dedicated to mental health. One of the best features is the customer service department is located in the United States, there is no delay in getting help and communication are able to be done.Ease of use Customer service Carry over information from one progress not to another All customer service is located in the United States.

Ashley Bak

Valant was somewhat helpful

Reviewed 2018-07-19

I like that it's MH specific but hard to use overallThe pros is that the software itself was detailed, and the note section was very good. It is designed for MH providers which makes it easy although it seems more built for psychiatrists not counselors.

Michael Spitz

Get ready for symbiosis!

Reviewed 2018-07-24
Review Source: Software Advice

Clear intuitive uncomplicated work flows; seamless symbiosis with their preferred clearinghouse ; non busy pages, consistent quality.