Katana Cloud Inventory Logo

Real-time inventory management insights to prevent stockouts

Katana Cloud Inventory Reviews

Suggested alternatives

fishbowl
netsuite
mrpeasy

It's great to be able to log in on any computer without having to install software, and it's done an amazing job of keeping our inventory tidy and up-to-date.
We ran into a few hiccups at the beginning and the support team was very responsive and helpful in helping us remedy our issues.
It's still relatively young product and there are few features missing here and there.
A drawback is the inability to track shipping supplies, leaving those to be manually tracked for replenishment.
I've been working with manufacturing businesses for years, and for years I've lamented Xero's relatively weak inventory management system.

Dominique F.

Food & Beverages, 1,001-5,000 employees

KAtana manufacturing Erp

KAtana manufacturing Erp is a solid choice for small and medium sized business looking for a user-fried and Integrated solutions for their manufacturing process

Pros

One of the key benefits of katana manufacturing Erp is it's user-friendly interface. The platform is easy to navigate drag and drop functionality allows for a simplified production planning process.The platform offers real-time inventory tracking, allowing business to track the stock levels of their materials and profuct.Integration of platform of e-commerce

Cons

Some users have reported issue with the accuracy of the platform inventory management system, particularly during inventoryrreconciliation. The platform Mey not be useful for complex manufacturing process

KK

Klaus K.

Machinery, 1-10 employees

First Impression KATANA - perfect fit for smaller companies which do not need a complex ERP-system

For our requirements, set-up and company size the best we could find and test! We will manage inventory/warehouse with 5000+ items, handle products with ingredients & operations, edit quotes, generate sales orders and mark received orders as shipped for automated invoice generation in Quickbooks. The cloud-based concept and the reduced complexity combined with an intuitivbe operatzion makes this SW easy to install and to work with if you have a team in different geographic locatioopns (as we have). Set-up of KATANA is absolutely simple, mostl yself-explanatory and can be done by any "power-user" without need of (expensive) external ERP-consultants.

Pros

Handling of inventory, items, products, ingredients, sales orders - all this is handled in a very efficient, clear and easy to use way. Makes the difference compared to many alternative MRP-/ERP-systems. Connector to QuickBooks with automatic trigger for invoices in QB once the products are marked as shipped in KATANA. Connector to Shopify for on-line sale of spare parts. 100% helpful and open minded customer service - very helpful in helping to understand all features and finding the best workflow for specific situations.

Cons

There are some functions/features which need improvement, e.g. the customization of documents such as Quotations so every company can generate a set of individual template to serve different areas (machines, spare parts, service,..). 3-5 custom fields for Quotes/Sales Orders/Products would be helpful. Althoug KATANA is intended to be a MRP-system it would be helpful to integrate SERVICE-articles (not only MAKE or BUY articles). This would allow to add a possible service portion to a spare parts quote. Dedicated Delivery Notes (with partial shipments) would be a great feature.

Thank you! Glad you are getting value out of Katana.

CG

Chris G.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 employees

Scrappy startup quality at enterprise rates

Now at the money grabbing stage before they implode, would be my guess. Clunky at the best of times. We put up with quirks, bugs that were never going to get fixed and general major omissions (like lack of back up and undo) This company is being run like it's an open source "best effort" outfit, but charging premium monthly rates for a software that feels barely out of beta. Given how central MRP/ERP/etc is to our business, we will be looking for a different provider asap, as none of this inspires trust in what should be a long term partner

Pros

The user interface is pretty and nice to use, mostly The concepts of scheduling and general "idea" behind the katana system are good

Cons

The endless bugs and now pricing issues. No backup, no undo, and again, lots of bugs. We regularly have to contact support with issues in their system. Most of the time the response is "oh we'll put it on our voting system, if it gets votes we'll fix it", which really is not what I expect from a system that costs several hundred dollars a month, before addons and users. To be perfectly honest, we...

We want to clarify that our decision to adjust pricing and service features was not made lightly. This move aims to ensure the sustainability of our service and the continuous development of features that meet our customers' needs. Our pricing model is designed to reflect the value we’ve built and continue to build, as well as the comprehensive support we provide. Regarding the issues you've encountered...

JB

Jocelyn B.

Cosmetics, 1-10 employees

The best app ever!

Pros

I love the simplicity of Katana and the ease of inventory management. This software has saved us so much time and offers way more than other products we looked into. For a small business with lots of moving parts and inventory to manage, Katana makes everything a breeze.

Cons

N/a, Katana meets and exceeds all our needs!

MM

Mikaela M.

Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees

Intuitive and well designed

Katana has been an asset to our inventory management and production planning. Previously, we were using QuickBooks desktop to manage all inventory. Katana has streamlined our production planning and made it overall more efficient. We have not yet implemented tasks and assigned employees to certain builds, but we appreciate that there is room to grow as we continue to use the system. We continue to use QuickBooks desktop as a separate operating system for accounting purposes and can easily do journal entries to input inventory quantities. We are looking forward to the multi-currency platform Katana will hopefully have soon.

Pros

It is intuitive and easy to implement. I like that you can prioritize builds so if we are short on product I can customize which particular build for it to go to.

Cons

I wish we could add materials to sales orders. Sometimes we sell different parts and it would be nice to add those to a sales order.

Alan R.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1-10 employees

Started off good, but pricing has outpaced quality.

I started out paying $128/month for this software in 2019, and that jumped to $388 in 2021. Now in 2024, that price has increased to $399, BUT they took away several features we had become reliant upon and put them into separate "add-on" packages at $199 EACH—bringing my monthly all the way to $797! Something as simple as being able to label a part number with a bin number for easy retrieval was taken...

Pros

Before using Katana, I was doing everything manually. I can't express how reliant I have become on MRP software.

Cons

They have increased prices by 523% since we started using this service. Bugs are ever-present, and they take existing features away to put behind a behind a paywall.

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback with us. We truly value the insights from users like yourself and are saddened to hear that recent changes in our pricing and service structure have not met your expectations. It sounds like the transition from manual processes to using our MRP software has provided significant benefits for you, and we regret that our recent pricing adjustments...

CV

Cecilia V.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Katana Make Production Visible

It has been a very positive experience, putting joy in my work.

Pros

I love this software because of the ease of use and the workflow methodology. The drill down ability for stock and manufactured items are great. We have managed to get a lot more information on staff productivity through exporting complete manufacture orders data and reporting. I also love it that support is real and that I now know some of the team personally. They answer queries fast and efficiently.

Cons

All the current issues I have are in development. For example: 1. Adding landing costs to purchase order items 2. Multi Currency 3. Back Order information

Thank you for the feedback and support!

SC

Scott C.

Furniture, 1-10 employees

Brilliant System

Frees up time. Accurate stock levels. Easily see where in the manufacturing process a job is

Pros

Brilliant. Katana has transformed how we managed stock and control manufacturing. The best part is it is simple without unwanted extras that take as much time to maintain as a manual system. Katana is efficient and fast. Integrates well with Xero and Shopify. Highly recommended.

Cons

AMobile App would be brilliant but not essential

Thank you for the review and happy to be growing with you!

Atlas R.

Retail, 51-200 employees

Great Software for Custom Production

We switched to this app to help manage our custom product orders. It is really great at helping us track our costs and meet our delivery standards. It connects natively to Shopify which is a big bonus and helps us pull for our orders more efficiently. It also allows us to manage multiple stores/locations easily and effectively.

Pros

The support is always helpful - they've been quick to answer and they have always been able to answer our questions. We've had this app for about 2 months now, and we are loving it. The adjustment was fairly simple and easy for staff, importing our data was easy and straight forward for setup.

Cons

Would be great if we could count inventory via barcode scanner instead of manually entering qty's and then importing.

Lisa C.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Met our needs at beginning, as needs grew Katana team listened and added features

We maintain about 1500-2000 SKUS and all assemblers work at home. Some do different steps, returning work weekly and then having it distributed to the next person. Giving every MO an actual number has kept every bag of parts and supplies organized. We can track who has it, where it's at in the manufacturing process, etc. Even though we have used Katana since January, it's the last 3 months that it's...

Pros

The ability to use Resources as a way to assign a specific person to each task so I can see who is working on what step of the manufacturing process and the allotted time they are provided for the task. This year we went from contract labor/paid-per-piece to employees/hourly-wage and Katana has made this a much smoother transition then it could have been. Having both "cost-per-piece" for assembly of items as well as "cost-per-minute" has given us the ability to compare former payment procedures with what to expect per hour from employees.

Cons

There are a variety of tasks that were unable to be done when we began using Katana in January 2019 but I am thrilled to say that most of them have been developed. The developers listen and are very attentive to requests, bug reports, and ideas and so despite the fact that some of the features were not available (exporting reports, importing recipes, bulk print MOs/pick lists, etc.) they have added...

Thank you for very thorough feedback! Love to have you growing with us!

DM

Daniel M.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1-10 employees

Promised so much delivered far short of what we hoped

Disappointed. They are pretending this software is the best thing since sliced bread and its more like a stale baguette.

Pros

It works on a basic level for stock management and also bills of materials.

Cons

It fails to have any sort of calender or gantt chart. It also fails terribly with time planning/recording of how long a task can take. For example you can't even put into the system that you start your working day at half past the hour only full hours are allowed. Further to the time planning side you can not block out time for holidays or meetings. Making this software useless to plan your time and give acreate lead times to customers.

Hi Daniel! Thank you for your honest feedback. We are continuously working on improving on the points of time planning and will be ready with better capabilities in the coming months already.

JM

Jason M.

Environmental Services, 1-10 employees

Love the functionality!

Pros

This software is very user friendly compared to some other, more detailed programs.

Cons

I had some issue with the conversions during the product builds, so I am not sure if you could have multiple conversions for a product.

LV

Lauren V.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Love it!

We LOVE this app! We had to work out some kinks the in the beginning based on our needs but Katana's representatives were very helpful and we got it all figured out.

Pros

It's helped us streamline inventory management, manufacturing orders and inventory orders. Highly recommend!

Cons

It was a significantly more money than what we were paying with our old system but the extra money has been so worth it for us.

DO

Denis O.

Printing, self-employed

Best MRP/inventory manager for small business

Overall, I'm very happy with Katana. Even though I run a small business and the price is relatively high for me, it's still well worth it. Adding new orders is quick and simple, but more importantly, I can instantly see if I have all the required resources at hand. Even if I have a few dozen pending orders, their coloured chart makes it so easy to quickly see if there are any issues.

Pros

Very easy to use without cluttered interface. This was my biggest selling point when comparing Katana to other similar products. Everything is so well organised and easy to glance over, while still offering nearly everything that I need for myself. I also like that any changes in the inventory are immediately reflected in open orders. This is true for everything that I've used so far; as soon as I make a change in one area, it instantly reflects in all others as well.

Cons

I'm missing one feature, but it's more due to the specific nature of my business. It would be great if I could organize my inventory not just by total combined weight, but broken down into individual units as well. For example, if my order requires 500g of plastic in one piece, but I have two separate pieces of 250g each, Katana will show that I have enough resources, even though I can't fill my order since I need one unbroken piece. I've already got in touch with their support about this and they've said my request was put on their wish list, so I'm fairly confident it will eventually get implemented.

Thank you for choosing Katana!

MI

Maureen I.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Katana boosted our confidence as new business owners!

Great! Service has been very helpful, and we’ve been able to do everything we need to do. Looking forward to seeing Katana grow and deploy more functions!

Pros

Inventory and order management systems were relatively new to us when we started with our company. We evaluated and tested several web-based tools and Katana was by far the most user friendly. The interface is clean and initiative, which helped us to get up and running quickly and confidently.

Cons

There are some features and reporting that we would like to have that haven’t been rolled out yet (particularly around customer information) and we spent time tinkering around and then ultimately asking customer support about it. They have been very helpful and we are waiting for the enhancements.

KL

Kyle L.

Consumer Goods, 1-10 employees

Great MRP tool, some flaws but very responsive and receptive customer service and dev team

Great MRP for small manufacturers. I find that Katana saves a lot of time and makes it easy to track inventory. Saves me many "counting" trips to different locations.

Pros

Super easy to use, pricing is more clear and streamlined than when we started. Support is great; not always the quickest but 1-2 days usually gets us a thorough and well covered answer to our questions. You can send them suggestions and they will tally in to their dev schedule. Saves a lot of time and nice to be able to access it from any computer.

Cons

There currently (2020) is no option to add fixed costs to POs. This makes tracking cost of inventory a little tougher. I also cannot edit PO templates. Having these features would make cost tracking and insurance claims easier. There is also no support for contractor per unit manufacturing but a simple way to get around this would be to set contractor tasks and payment by the hour and make each unit take 1 hour to finish. This does though make it difficult to track time if you need to track how long production will take. Fortunately we have a good idea of how long something will take without the help of Katana.

Thank you for your feedback and glad to see you are getting value from Katana. We have also noted down your suggestions.

CA

Callee A.

Wholesale, 1-10 employees

Great for small but growing handmade biz!

Pros

Just completed the free 14 day trial of Katana and have now begun a paid subscription. It took a few days and a bit of frustration to manually add all our products, ingredients, recipes, and current pending wholesale orders from outside of shopify, but having the shopify integration helped a lot. We use three different wholesale platforms (Faire, tundra & Abound), none of which offer automated third...

Cons

Glitches with accurate purchase prices showing up in overall product list. Described it to customer service and they denied it being a problem. That’s the only problem I’ve encountered so far. Tbh on customer support quality.

Hi! Thank you for your feedback and we'll make sure to work out any glitches that have occurred along the way. Happy making!

BT

Brent T.

Machinery, 51-200 employees

First time Katana user

Overall, we have been very happy with the product. There are some features we would like to see implemented, and those have been passed onto to their support team. But the value has far exceeded the cost and we are excited to get completely rolled out soon!

Pros

The setup is quick and easy and the customer service is nothing short of excellent. We love the simple interface which makes it easy to train others on,. The Excel templates allow for bulk uploads of all of the required data categories which doesn't need to be uploaded manually.

Cons

It could be more circular in that you sometimes have to jump back and forth within the system to complete a task. The production operation feature should allow you to set a default number of labor hours per task so that it isn't required with each manufacturing order setup.

BP

Brad P.

Textiles, 11-50 employees

Katana for a small manufacturer

We're still in the implementation stage, but Katana has met the majority of our business requirements with ease. It's been easy to transfer and upload data into Katana and we're feeling very confident about go live. Customer support is outstanding and they pass all improvement suggestions up to their development team for review. They embrace continuous improvement similarly to our manufacturing floor.

Pros

The ease of building products and variants. Our products have a lot of variants, and Katana makes it very easy to manage them all simultaneously. The previous MRP system used required us to build a unique BOM for every variant, which took significant time.

Cons

Minimum order quantity feature. Ability to reject/second quality part of a manufacturing lot. Develop an easy way to see product list not broken down into variants. Have the ability to only show certain BOM items on the shop floor app. Consumables like glue and tape don't need to be shown.

JH

Jeff H.

Retail, 11-50 employees

Most Intuitive MRP Ever

Overall it's simple to setup, simple to use, and while not quite polished, does everything we need in a hugely user friendly way.

Pros

I was looking for a solution for seasonal manufacturing workers that we don't have time to get up to speed with some complex MRP - Kanata's UI is the most intuitive interface out of any MRP I was able to find. The ease of re-prioritising jobs, and the automatic stock refactoring is awesome, and the team are really, really responsive to feature ideas and issues. Seamless integrations with WooCommerce makes supplying orders to customers super easy.

Cons

It doesn't quite have everything we need, some of which I though we're quite base (Bin Locations, Supplier Product Codes, Purchase Orders that email directly to suppliers), but all of those have work arounds, and I'm assured are planned for future development.

Thank you for the review!

SL

Shawn L.

Food Production, 1-10 employees

Inventory and Sales Simplified

Excellent. Everything about using Katana has been great. The team there walked me through the product and helped me set it up. They answer questions quickly and personally. The product is as-described and thoroughly game-changing for my business. There is strong value, we have much less waste and mistakes in our ordering now.

Pros

I love the deep inventory tracking and that it feels like a modern app. Inventory software is typically painful to use, and Katana is a breeze. I love that Shopify sales are automatically imported and function live with Shopify, so when you fulfil an order in Shopify it automatically fulfils it in Katana. The Quickbooks integration makes generating invoices simple. You only have to do things once when you use Katana, there's no need to fill in the same info in different services over and over. Tracking inventory in Katana in multiple locations, and being able to include the ingredients of each product in the tracking is also a plus.

Cons

When creating purchase orders, it can generate a Bill in Quickbooks. This is helpful, however I'd love to be able to create a Purchase Order in QB so that I can simply track them all.

Glad to hear your feedback on Katana! Let's keep on growing together!

LH

Lukas H.

Import and Export, 11-50 employees

Great for sales and quotes, not so much for inventory.

Pros

Great user interface, very easily operable.

Cons

Pricing is getting worse. Basic functions disappear and appear later as a paid add on for hefty monthly fee.

Thank you for your feedback! We'd like to assure you that all updates to our pricing model were based on evaluating our customers' needs and providing customisability to specific business needs, as our top priority is continuing to deliver top-notch services and unparalleled value and support.

ME

Mary Ellen N.

Retail, 1-10 employees

It's a good start

Pros

We like having the ability to make manufacture orders so everyone involved can see what's been planned and when it's due. The ability to prioritize orders is very helpful for assigning inventory.

Cons

Identifying products that are ready to ship on each order is cumbersome. Our customer service team has to click individually into each order to see if any items are ready to ship. There's no way to easily flip to the next order. You have to close that window & click on the next order. It would be nice if you could at least toggle between orders within an order window. We'd also love to see some kind of drop down or hover-over feature that would quickly show you if partial shipments are available.

Gaz R.

I learned this product by using it; few hints from the online help. I decided on day one to keep it

I can now run my business without spreadsheet hell. I can actually make more product. This is not an exaggeration. I was stressed before using this software. I actually could not work out what I needed to order to satisfy our production demands.

Pros

It answers my questions easily, what purchase orders do I need to make to satisfy the orders I have coming in. What should I work on next and when will it be ready for the customer! I can see delays in deliveries and the effect on production. It manages very complex bill of materials for our vast number of products. and it does so with a user experience that is simple and easy.

Cons

Where there has been anything I didn't like about the software, I chat instantly to the development team and they listen, they come back to me with an instant work around; then in the longer term they have provided updates that fix the problem. They are an adorable bunch of people and really want to make this work for our busy little workshop.

Thank you Gaz for all the support!

EJ

Erik J.

Consumer Electronics, self-employed

MKUltra Corporation

Invaluable to the maker+vendor. No more guessing, no more surprises when material stock runs out or inventory levels are low - Katana is the second set of eyes I didn't know I needed. Worth every minute of setup, this app has not only saved my business money and time - it has saved my business, period.

Pros

Integrates flawlessly with my Shopify store and makes managing materials and stock levels incredibly easy once everything is setup. The ability to prioritize jobs based on different criteria and rearrange them on the fly if necessary is critical for my business and Katana handles this with ease.

Cons

Setup was a chore BUT that is really more of a good thing, because there is a LOT of data that people might not take into account when initially considering software like this. If you want to use it properly, each and every little detail needs to be accounted for and when you have hundreds of SKUs like me, it can seem like a mountain. Climb it, you'll be glad you did.

Thank you for your feedback!