Sumac Reviews

4.4

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.72/10

Reviews by rating

Once familiar with the program, it is quite user friendly. The ability to customize forms for different programs has been wonderful.
The customer service was great; Brandon was very patient and kind with me and provided great support throughout the process.
Files have to be meticulously formatted within a certain file type, and the set of steps from data gathering to completion is sometimes frustrating and unforgiving of minor errors.
As an aside, I recently had a problem with my database when an update was installed on the Sumac software.

AL

Ad L.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Great Experience

Great and Positive Experiences.

Pros

User friendlyThe support team is available to answer and help usSumac understand charitable organization needs

Cons

Nothing is perfect. However, based on our experience with Sumac, we look forward to grow with Sumac as we understand Sumac continues to update and improve.

BC

Beverly C.

Sumac is an affordable, customizable system for case management and reporting.

Pros

Sumac provides a customizable platform for managing our programs and services, tracking communications and case management. We are planning to expand our use and utilize more modules and expand our use of existing ones. The software is growing with us as we move a team into an online Case Management model after 30 years of pen and paper. We have set it up so we master uses one at a time and have...

Cons

The email component does not allow for, (or I have not figured out how to), multiple emails, so we only use it for mass emails as the responses can only go to one address.

AP

Alysa P.

We use Sumac because it consolidates member and donor data in one place at a reasonable rate.

Pros

I think the history tab, where I can see an entire person's donation, membership and communication history in one place.

Cons

I don't like that it's not terribly flexible and that the web integrations aren't mobile compatible. I also don't like that online membership purchases require a log in before purchasing, which is a barrier to getting more people.

sj

scott j.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Indispensable tool at our office. There's no facet of our operation that doesn't rely on Sumac.

Flexibility. Can easily grow. Different levels of security and accessibility. Great support. Always adding new modules.

Pros

It integrates everything. With Sumac we can generate output to determine trends or targets, even deficiencies, by combining seemingly unrelated data. There's no data-based relationship we cannot explore and mine for fresh insights. I like that it is held off-site so that we do not have to worry about additional data security. Of course, this also makes our Sumac data available anywhere, anytime.

Cons

Some of the modules have a steeper learning curve, but I don't see how that's avoidable. The biggest deficiency for me is that I would love an ap (application). Personally, I work with an iPad and right now I cannot access Sumac with that platform.

JK

Joanne K.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Sumac has been extremely helpful to our organization to track our client and donor database.

Pros

I especially like the facility for reporting. I like how it interfaces with other programs such as Excel and Simply Accounting. I also love how it does automatic credit card transactions.

Cons

I can honestly say that It has been rare that I have had issues with this program. It has always been because of my lack of knowledge of it's capabilities. A phone call will usually clear up any issues I have. The only problem we have encountered is to link our website donations to the program. We are still not sure where this glitch lies.

Jennifer D.

We had a challenging start, but over the past 6 months have had much better results with support.

Pros

It is customizable to our needs (mostly). Some of the features we would find beneficial are not available.

Cons

We have encountered a number of bugs over the past few months in working with our trainer. She has been awesome in documenting and reporting them but the training time it ends up taking up in trying to find work arounds or confirm that it is in fact a bug is frustrating.

SR

Serena R.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Serena Richardson

Pros

User friendly interface and the customization feature "grow your own". Support staff are helpful and I love that training videos are provided as well.

Cons

I would love to see the development of connecting related emails directly to the database contact records so that the added steps of using the "communication" function were not needed.

CR

Chad R.

Arts and Crafts, 1-10 employees

Good value for the price for not for profit organizations. It does everything that we need it to do.

Pros

Excellent features and value for the price, especially for not for profit organizations who do not have a lot of funds but really need and can benefit from this software. Excellent customer support, not a long wait either.

Cons

Sorting and queries are complicated and not as automated or easy as I would like and there are some limitations.

HJ

Hilary J.

Fine Art, 11-50 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Sistema Toronto Loves Sumac!

Sumac is a great resource for Sistema Toronto. We use it to track donations, issue receipts, and keep records of communication with our community of donors. We appreciate how easy Sumac is to use and how helpful the customer support team is when we’re in need of assistance. We’re a small shop with a tight budget, so Sumac is a great fit for us.

Pros

Sumac is easy to use, their customer support team is accessible , and the software is affordable for our small shop.

Cons

We struggled to get used to the search function at first, though we're used to it now. I wish I could do a bulk upload of communication records, too.

Kate L.

Sumac has made donor data management simple!

Prior to installing Sumac, our receipting system was disorganized and inefficient, which cost us time and led to some donors being unhappy with their experience. By harmonizing our receipting and donating process through the Sumac software, this aspect of our daily operations has become one of the simplest tasks of running our organization. The installing process was a breeze, and the software...

Pros

Technical support have been wonderful! The Sumac team actually customized a search option to cater to our organization alone.

Cons

Add-ons can be pricey for smaller organizations, however they are worth it if it's in your budget.

MA

Mary A.

Intuitive isn't usually a word used with databases. It is with Sumac.

We are a small, non-profit, educational foundation based in Northern California. Prior to having Sumac, we maintained all our donor records in Quick Books and on Excel spreadsheets. Needless to say, that method made generating reports and extrapolating useful data a tedious task. Since installing Sumac, we operate so much more efficiently now. Multiple users at a time can access data in real time for...

CC

Carol C.

Fine Art, 1-10 employees

Even the easiest of functions are unnecessarily complicated.

Deeply frustrated with Sumac.

Pros

Cons

Sumac is anti-intuitive.Functions do not follow a logical sequence. There never seems to be a video for what I need to do. Support has never recommended a video. The remote support doesn't work. One has to manage the telephone and manage the computer at the same time, while trying to follow instructions. There must be a better way. People learn in different modes, Sumac provides only one. Watching someone complete the sequence is not the same as performing it for a kinesthetic learner.

MW

Maureen W.

Civic & Social Organization, 1-10 employees

Sumac for NonProfits

I highly recommend it for other non-profits.

Pros

I have found Sumac to be the answer I was looking for to manage both clients and donors. After initial set up it was easy for my team to use and update information. The training videos are very helpful and available at any time.

Cons

Sometimes the glitches when updates happen, but IT support walked us through how to handle it and once we saved the process it was not an issue.

DM

Dianne M.

We purchased Sumac to bring together numerous spreadsheets and software that we used to track data.

Pros

So easy to customize! I am not computer savvy and I was easily able to customize fields for a variety of programs and services we offer.

Cons

I find I need help building specific searches but thankfully tech support is always there to help me out.

DF

Deb F.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Sumac is not easy to use. There are to many steps to create thank yous.

I couls not reccomend this software.

Pros

The new reports are fine. The data entry is easy. I like that it is in the cloud. The telephone support is very helpful.

Cons

You can not export to excel. You cannot delete mistakes. You are not able to make custom reports, with name, address and donation amount.

EC

Elizabeth C.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Using SUMAC to record donations to our church has freed up time to focus on other tasks.

Increased time to do other things, great reports, easy tax receipt preparation, simple updates to donors' information, tracking pledges, and ability to move someone from active to inactive and back again so I don't have to input their info again.

Pros

SUMAC is easy to use. Recording gifts and preparing tax receipts is simple. The reports are a great way to double-check donations each month.

Cons

I cannot think of anything I don't like about SUMAC. it is so much better than what I used previously.

CM

Caron M.

Used other for 2+ years

Sumac is a difficult program to navigate and the cost of a basic platform is extremely high.

Pros

It has the ability to generate Charity Receipts It is usable as a stand-alone customer relations program

Cons

Generating Charity Receipts is not an easy task - coding is always an issue The software cost is not designed for smaller charitable organizations Terminology for reporting is not consistent with the accounting/bookkeeping profession

TG

Tamara G.

Mental Health Care, 11-50 employees

overall I am pleased with Sumac

it's a good way to track donors and volunteers and the exported reports are pretty good

Pros

it's pretty user friendly and it's easy to get used to even if you don't have database experience from prior use

Cons

sometimes the filters take awhile to load and it also takes awhile to log on but other than that no problem

KB

Kate B.

Fine Art,

Took our Segmentation to a whole new level

Pros

Sumac is powerful and customizable. With a little prep work, we were able to take limited information from our (separate) box office and turn it into a strong patron database that we can slice into innumerable segments for precise messaging and campaigns. I was also quite pleased to see feedback I'd made to Sumac turned into a real product feature.

Cons

The interface is a little cumbersome, but not unusually so for a software in this category.

sh

sheryl h.

love it!

Pros

it is so intuitive, friendly and usable. I have no complaints about the software.

Cons

There is nothing about Sumac that I don't like. We have referred you to three other agencies and they now use it. We need a finder's fee!

RB

Rob B.

Civic & Social Organization, 1-10 employees

An OK Program

Pros

It did seem to have a lot of options. I found that the short period that I did look at Sumac (we purchased it, but in the end did not use it because some of the other issues outweighed continuing the use of it). It had decent records, and I liked that you could enter a lot custom ifnormation

Cons

The biggest thing I did not like was in order generate the tax receipts was you needed to use Mail Merge. In fact, that was the one reason we did not use the program long term. It was too time-consuming.

SR

Sam R.

Performing Arts, 1-10 employees

Some Good Features but Not Easy to Use

Pros

Lots of features. Like that you could manage contacts, take payment and sync with accounting software.

Cons

It wasn't intuitive to use. Couldn't figure out aspects without reading the tutorial.

LH

Laura H.

Used other for 1-2 years

We have been setting up our membership list on Sumac. The system is quite user friendly.

Pros

Sumac provides very helpful support. They are only a phone call away and sometimes you are able to speak with someone immediately.

Cons

Nothing - I need to get used to the system. As with any new to you system it takes a little time to get used to it and the more you use it the easier it becomes.

ME

Monica E.

Cost-effective, easy-to-use, flexible

I can attest that improved efficiency in our data management and communications in the last five years is directly associated to Sumac. Most notably, it has assisted our strategies to more fully integrate audience development and private sector undraising campaigns. When I recommend Sumac to colleagues at other not-for-profit organizations, the first thing I endorse is their terrific customer service...

MM

Mitchell M.

Very user-friendly!

Prior to using SUMAC we had dozens of very `un' user-friendly Excel documents storing 9 years worth of patron information. As Artistic Producer, I was the only one with enough institutional memory to be able to use these documents, which meant hours of my time sorting to generate useable reports and mailing lists. Since starting SUMAC, accessing and using data has become a staff-wide activity ' we are all able to access our database and use it on our daily work whether that's identifying donors, quickly finding information on groups and schools who have attended our shows, or managing our email and snail mail lists. It's really helped to move our management of data to the next level.