Sumac Logo

Sumac

Manage Your Entire Nonprofit With a Single CRM!

Sumac Reviews

4.3

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.7/10

Reviews by rating

Once familiar with the program, it is quite user friendly. The ability to customize forms for different programs has been wonderful.
The customer service was great; Brandon was very patient and kind with me and provided great support throughout the process.
Excellent features and value for the price, especially for not for profit organizations who do not have a lot of funds but really need and can benefit from this software.
Files have to be meticulously formatted within a certain file type, and the set of steps from data gathering to completion is sometimes frustrating and unforgiving of minor errors.
As an aside, I recently had a problem with my database when an update was installed on the Sumac software.

AP

Alysa P.

We use Sumac because it consolidates member and donor data in one place at a reasonable rate.

Pros

I think the history tab, where I can see an entire person's donation, membership and communication history in one place.

Cons

I don't like that it's not terribly flexible and that the web integrations aren't mobile compatible. I also don't like that online membership purchases require a log in before purchasing, which is a barrier to getting more people.

CC

Carol C.

Fine Art, 1-10 employees

Even the easiest of functions are unnecessarily complicated.

Deeply frustrated with Sumac.

Pros

Cons

Sumac is anti-intuitive.Functions do not follow a logical sequence. There never seems to be a video for what I need to do. Support has never recommended a video. The remote support doesn't work. One has to manage the telephone and manage the computer at the same time, while trying to follow instructions. There must be a better way. People learn in different modes, Sumac provides only one. Watching someone complete the sequence is not the same as performing it for a kinesthetic learner.

GM

Gayle M.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

We are just starting to use the software and so some of the features have not yet been implemented.

We are still very new using the software so most of the potential benefits haven't been realized yet.

Pros

i like how easy it is to use the search features. With the ability to refine details for searching you can really narrow a search and get the information you require without having to look trhough long lists.

Cons

There are multiple information windows for every contact and it can very time consuming ensuring all information is up to date and accurate.

RF

Rick F.

Huge time saver

HPCO had been using a third party to manage our direct mail campaign and tax receipting. Switching to Sumac has significantly reduced our preparation time for direct mail and reduced the time between receipt of a donation and the mailing of the thank you letter with tax receipt. We also use Sumac to manage membership renewals, communications to members, and manage all of our other contacts. Sumac is...

LH

Laura H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Used other for 1-2 years

We have been setting up our membership list on Sumac. The system is quite user friendly.

Pros

Sumac provides very helpful support. They are only a phone call away and sometimes you are able to speak with someone immediately.

Cons

Nothing - I need to get used to the system. As with any new to you system it takes a little time to get used to it and the more you use it the easier it becomes.

NM

Nancy M.

Best I've Ever Used

I can't say enough good things about it. If you are used to working w/spreadsheets this is the best and most intuitive product I've used or seen. Have worked w/Raisors Edge, FIMS, and Giftworks. All of them fall far short in design, flexibility, and the ability to customize it and extract the information you want out plus it is less expensive. Have been working with SUMAC for six years in two...

AS

Adam S.

The best solution for a startup nonprofit!

I learned about Sumac through my graduate course work. To my knowledge, it is the only CRM that offers a free version with everything a startup nonprofit needs. I have been able to easily manage my contacts and donations with the database. The mail merge feature and group emailing capabilities are a huge time saver. I look forward to Ballet Vero Beach growing with Sumac and expanding our capabilities...

ME

Monica E.

Cost-effective, easy-to-use, flexible

I can attest that improved efficiency in our data management and communications in the last five years is directly associated to Sumac. Most notably, it has assisted our strategies to more fully integrate audience development and private sector undraising campaigns. When I recommend Sumac to colleagues at other not-for-profit organizations, the first thing I endorse is their terrific customer service...

Christopher R.

Used monthly for 2+ years

It has helped modernize our donation and course procedures.

Improved data tracking and reporting. Time savings.

Pros

The software is easy to use. I personally did not do any training with it, but I am able to go in and access data whenever I need.

Cons

With any software, there are limits to the customization. Sumac has been great in providing some customization, but we are a very unique organization and sometimes it is difficult to fit what we need into a software.

DF

Deb F.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Sumac is not easy to use. There are to many steps to create thank yous.

I couls not reccomend this software.

Pros

The new reports are fine. The data entry is easy. I like that it is in the cloud. The telephone support is very helpful.

Cons

You can not export to excel. You cannot delete mistakes. You are not able to make custom reports, with name, address and donation amount.

AW

Anita W.

Great product, easily best bang for buck out there.

I've been using Sumac for 3 years now. The customer service is amazing and the team is extremely responsive to customer requests both for help and new features. The system is reasonably intuitive and robust. The only thing that keeps me from giving it 5 stars across the board is it is still occasionally awkward to pull donor lists for mailings that don't have both individual members of a household as well as the household itself. I have recommended Sumac to several other administrators in the not for profit industry. You cannot beat it for bang for buck. Having compared it to larger systems (like RE), I would gladly stick with Sumac for usability, robustness and customer service.

MM

Mitchell M.

Very user-friendly!

Prior to using SUMAC we had dozens of very `un' user-friendly Excel documents storing 9 years worth of patron information. As Artistic Producer, I was the only one with enough institutional memory to be able to use these documents, which meant hours of my time sorting to generate useable reports and mailing lists. Since starting SUMAC, accessing and using data has become a staff-wide activity ' we are all able to access our database and use it on our daily work whether that's identifying donors, quickly finding information on groups and schools who have attended our shows, or managing our email and snail mail lists. It's really helped to move our management of data to the next level.

CO

Christina O.

Used other for less than 6 months

We had a very difficult time getting Sumac up and running from both a user and admin perspective.

Pros

Cons

The instruction manual was not helpful whatsoever and actually quite burdensome. I was given documents to help us begin our work, but they were scripts, not instruction manuals. Because of this, I had to literally work through a script word for word (even had to search for specific words), as opposed to simply an instruction sheet with headlines of simple things like "How to create reviewers... 1......

JM

Jeff M.

We love Sumac!!

Switching to Sumac has been one of the best decisions we have made as an organization. It has allowed us to gain better control of our information and do a much better job of connecting with our donors and volunteers. We love how easy it is to use and how quickly new staff members and administrative volunteers are able to learn to use Sumac effectively. This means a huge savings in the time and money related to training compared to other donor databases we have used. We loved Sumac when we started using and it just keeps getting better with every release. We can't say enough about how much we appreciate the responsiveness of the Sumac development team.

LS

Laura S.

Fast & efficient!

This year we upgraded to Sumac from eTapestry. We are amazed at how fast and efficient Sumac is compared to a database that resides online. Our daily processing of communications and incoming donations has dramatically shifted from a full-time endeavor to a quick, easy and straightforward task. Furthermore, we love the simple design of Sumac and its visual functionality when managing queries and lists. Before Sumac, the majority of the staff stayed far away from our database because of its over-complicated interface. Sumac has proved to be extremely accessible to everyone working at Sky Works. We are all happy to be riding on the Sumac train!

EP

Ester P.

Great customer service and an incredible product!!

We switched to Sumac from a tailor-made FileMaker Pro database system and couldn't be more satisfied. Sumac integrates all areas of our operations, which is something no other database software has been able to do for us. It has streamlined our processes and increased our productivity, making it possible for us to reach new levels in our programming, fundraising and marketing initiatives. The Sumac team are continually adding increased functionality to the program. They respond immediately to questions, often anticipating our needs and going a step or two further to develop new solutions to increase our efficiency, without even being asked.

MC

MJ C.

Still waiting for the honeymoon to end

We are close to a year in now using Sumac and still we love it! Having been through other excruciating data migrations, I have been thrilled with how effective and responsive the team at Sumac has been. While we've certainly hit [to be expected] bumps, each time Sumac has quickly found a good solution for us. Even more than that, they seem to truly welcome our input re enhancements! As we continue to delve into doing even more in Sumac we're extremely pleased with how thoughtfully the application has been designed and how user friendly it is. I would not hesitate for a minute to recommend this product!

KS

Katie S.

Scalable, affordable, and easy to use.

Seattle Pro Musica spent several years working with a huge database system - a behemoth that required intense training and still wouldn't pull the reports we needed! We were actively searching for other options when a fortuitous presentation from a representative of United Way introduced us to Sumac. From the beginning, Sumac impressed us with its scalability, affordability, and ease of use. With Sumac, our staff and board members are able to access our data in a clean and clear format - which has helped us to make major improvements in constituent relationship management. We're thrilled that we joined the Sumac community.

KA

Katie A.

Really user-freindly!

There aren't enough positive things I can say about Sumac. It has given us a better handle on every aspect of our organization ' communications, donations, memberships, and contacts are all far better organized than they ever were with Raiser's Edge, which we were using before. With Sumac, data is easier to input, retrieve, and organize. The entire system is remarkably user-friendly. I felt confident using it after only a few days. Of course, that has to do with their customer support, too ' if every company provided service as good as Sumac's, the working world would be a happier and more efficient place.

CB

Cathy B.

I love Sumac!

I love Sumac. It has allowed me to track all of our donor's information super easily. I purchased it originally so that I could issue tax receipts to our donors, but have found it useful to track giving based on correspondence and fundraising events. We started small, but as we grow so does our need to gather information. Sumac is also great because I can manage my contact list for mailings through it. Any questions I have are answered quickly through tech support (either via e-mail or on the phone). Sumac also provides updates regularly, so that means they're paying attention to their customers' input.

VW

Valerie W.

A good tool, with great support behind it.

The manual, training and live support have allowed me to learn how to use this tool quickly. We have been SUMAC clients for one year. SUMAC support staff are readily accessed and very responsive. The database is working well for us, with options that allow us to customize. We have not come close to tapping the potential of the database, but I can see where we could optimize. We have been very happy so far, and I can see that SUMAC has even more to offer us. No complaints! Sometimes our needs are so unique that they have not been anticipated by the current version.

CM

Caron M.

Used other for 2+ years

Sumac is a difficult program to navigate and the cost of a basic platform is extremely high.

Pros

It has the ability to generate Charity Receipts It is usable as a stand-alone customer relations program

Cons

Generating Charity Receipts is not an easy task - coding is always an issue The software cost is not designed for smaller charitable organizations Terminology for reporting is not consistent with the accounting/bookkeeping profession

TG

Tamara G.

Mental Health Care, 11-50 employees

overall I am pleased with Sumac

it's a good way to track donors and volunteers and the exported reports are pretty good

Pros

it's pretty user friendly and it's easy to get used to even if you don't have database experience from prior use

Cons

sometimes the filters take awhile to load and it also takes awhile to log on but other than that no problem

jb

jennifer b.

Environmental Services,

a company that listens to it's customers suggestions

Pros

great customer service and they listen to suggestions from their customers on how they can improve their product(s) to make them more intuitive and user-friendly.

Cons

we've only been using Sumac for a short amount of time so we are still learning all the ins and outs. at this time I don't have negative feedback

HG

Hilary G.

Cost-effective, easy-to-use, flexible and improves Crow's organizational capacity.

Sumac fits our needs: it s cost-effective, easy-to-use, flexible and improves Crow's Theatre's organizational capacity.

Pros

I can attest that improved efficiency in our data management and communications in the last five years is directly associated to Sumac. Most notably, it has assisted our strategies to more fully integrate audience development and private sector fundraising campaigns. When I recommend Sumac to colleagues at other not-for-profit organizations, the first thing I endorse is their terrific customer service which seems in tune and crafted perfectly for organizations with limited overhead and resources. Sumac support staff are responsive, approachable, knowledgeable, caring and willing to adjust programs so that they work for our organization, rather than our organization working around their system.

Cons

Nothing specific.