AbacusLaw Reviews

3.81/5 (235 reviews)

Tami Fraser

Have a law office? you need ABACUS!

Reviewed 2018-09-21

I feel that if you are an attorney, or work for one, you need AbacusLaw. They have pre-created tasks that you can begin with, or you can create your own specific guidelines for whatever type of law you practice. I had created a timeline that was "to-the-day" for bankruptcy documents to be filed in the Federal Court, and other tasks with clients to complete and file in a timely manner- it was a well-oiled timeline! If somebody practices family law, ie: divorces, child custody, child support- you could create a timeline to file documents as required. Personal Injury attorney or Estate Planning- Criminal law, so many options - Abacus is the program (tool) that helped me to get my jobs done, on time!

Pros
I have worked for two separate law offices since 1998. My first time using Abacus in 1998 (we call her "ABBY") I felt a little overwhelmed- but as I learned HOW the system worked- I LOVED it! I rely on ABBY for everything! I like knowing WHERE the client's file is, whether it is on someone's desk or in the attorney's briefcase, or tucked away in the filing cabinet- it saves time when searching a large or even small office for a file- just click on the client's Matter and look for "LOCATION" and BAM! it tells me the last entered location! ABBY keeps track of notes, events, tasks/to-do's, court hearings, appointments- anything that is important to your office. When a client comes in to the office or calls, I can easily pull up ABBY and see what notes or tasks that others have placed in the system for that client, then I can easily help the client do what they need to do, like print out documents for them to sign - or maybe collect a payment for something- I can help the client without having to pull others away from what they are doing. I have found ABBY to be an AWESOME TOOL for the law office- ABBY is right up there with the scanner, copier and telephone! Cannot run a business without any of those!!

Cons
the ONLY 'bad' thing, is if the HUMAN does not enter their tasks or to-do's, or utilize ABBY as intended. ABBY is like a car, she is not going to go anywhere unless you put the tasks, to-do's, hearings, location of a file, etc. in her. Train the employees to utilize ABBY for your office's needs, and there will be no 'negative' anything regarding ABACUS.

Eric Schmidt

We have relied on this software as one of our primary organizational tools for over five years.

Reviewed 2018-04-01

It is a mostly comprehensive business-management tool

Pros
The Abacus software, now on Abacus Private Cloud, almost always is functioning properly, and is accessible from anywhere, anytime. After our experience, we would now not use anything that is not cloud-based, particularly being in a city highly prone to power-outages, floods, and hurricanes. We have found the software to steadily improve in features and speed. The customer service is the best I have experienced very particularly in the software industry. The techs are all very knowledgeable and carefully resolve every inquiry. They are also available very quickly, an absolute anomaly in the software business. The calendering component, as others have observed, is a key strong-point. The linking in of all events, documents, e-mails, and notes into one accessible electronic folder provides the convenient efficiency that you will frequently use. It is possible to scan documents directly to the cloud case file from your local computer - an important step-saver. Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, when installed, functions on the APC desktop. You will need reasonably strong, consistent Internet connections. Airport terminals are mostly unusable work locations even with a "jet-pack" or cell-phone "hot-spot."

Cons
This is a powerful software tool. As such, except for the calendar, it is not a "plug & play" system, except for the most computer-fluent users. To fully utilize its comprehensive features will take a commitment to initial as well as ongoing learning while taking the daily, time-consuming steps to precisely link all activities back to the case file. However, the added work will and must obviate the paper file. The queries, forms, and reports functions are all very valuable but are far too complex to user-initiate, and each requires ongoing custom installation by the provider. Cost-effective file collaboration with outsiders is not possible, therefore an added cloud account and the expense is required along with the time of copying and moving sizeable files. Changing accounting from existing into the integrated system is a major transition to be carefully evaluated in advance. Maintaining the current accounting system, at least temporarily, will be required. This software must be your primary organizational tool as it will grow into a weighted expense that is justifiable only if it is the key resource. The software does crash daily when trying to interact with Outlook for file linking of e-mails. It can usually be resolved with a quick re-start. Initiating printing is quite slow and getting slower but understandable with a remote server. Microsoft Office, Adobe Pro, and Reallegal depo transcription all work very well here. Some other applications do not at all.

Barzin Sabahat

Affordable; complete; intuitive

Reviewed 2017-06-28

This software allows me to run my small law firm without having to hire full time assistants and automates about 80% of my administrative tasks.

Pros
1. Affordable: Having purchased similar software years ago and having paid an amount for it, I knew that the cost of a new firm management software that handled both front office and back office matters was going to be a major obstacle for me. Particularly if I wanted the software to be resident on my computer as opposed to web-based. But, with the monthly payment plan that Abacuslaw offers, it was very easy to sign up. 2. Complete management solution. There are very few programs around that offer both a full management software and a full accounting software to attorneys. Most of the software out there offers a billing component, but not a full accounting solution. With Abacuslaw, I can have both for the same price. I don't have to have another accounting software like QuickBooks pro to handle the accounting of my office. 3. The software is very easy to use. Most of the time, I can figure things out by myself without much training. But, to the extent I need training, I can find videos on YouTube or worst case scenario, I can sign up for their affordable one on one instructions. 4. Really good support staff: My questions or problems are usually answered and resolved on the same call into the office. Very responsive and knowledgeable support staff and extremely cooperative and helpful. 5. I've done lots of research. Not too many companies with the same level of service and features for the same price. Highly recommend it.

Cons
1. Glitches. While support staff is very responsive, the number of glitches is at times distracting. I would say that I average about maybe one glitch every three months or so. But it is dealt with very soon. 2. Data migration: The only major problem I had with Abacus law was their data migration. I was migrating from Amicus online and they could not transfer my data. Finally, the only thing they were able to migrate was my case information. I had to reenter my financial data myself. My suggestion is to make sure that they understand what format you are migrating from and get a firm commitment from them that they can handle the migration without problems. In the end, though, the drawbacks are so small, compared to the benefits that the minor complaints I have don't even register.

Devan Bennett

Excellent Technical Support

Reviewed 2017-06-13

Does just about everything I need to for law firm practice management, once I've tinkered with it enough.

Pros
Because I am a power user, I am able to make it do everything I want . There is not any other PM software out there that is as customizable. However, that comes with a cost in usability (more on that below). However, I have had excellent technical support. I had an issue that I could not solve on my own. I called CS and, although they were not able to resolve it in that session, I was impressed with the thoroughness of the work and the help offered. They went above and beyond to to try to ID the issue. After tinkering around more, I called back with more info and was connected to another tech who was able to resolve the issue. Both had excellent professionalism and telephone demeanor. I was very impressed by these two experiences and with the quality of the technicians. This was much better service than I expected and there are only a few companies who have provided this quality of support.

Cons
There is a cost to customizability. That is that it can be quite difficult for a non-computer-guy to set up beyond basic calendaring and contact tracking. The workflow and database relationships are not particularly intuitive. Even simple things like creating a search query take more computer knowledge than most attorney will have. Setting up reports or calendar rules is extremely user-unfriendly. Without my computer background I could never have done it. Because I'm a power user, I can adapt it to meet all of our needs. But out-of-the-box, it's a little too generic to be really useful for most attorneys, even with the "Special Editions." The attorney who referred me to Abacus uses it as nothing more than a calendar and client contacts and it's too expensive to use it that way.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Vanya Tyrrell

AbacusLaw is the heart of my practice.

Reviewed 2016-07-26

I have been an AbacusLaw customer since 1998. I believe I was the first accountant to try and adapt your matters based program to a client based usage. We spent many hours adapting your improvements every year to insure that I could continue to manage my accounting practice through your program. It was a challenge, but the results are well worth it. I have a data file that has a record of every appointment, every phone call, what IRS agent is assigned to what case, etc., since 1998, for over 5500 tax clients.I have a record of every bill sent to our business clients since we started using Abacus Accounting to manage our receivables. I believe so strongly in this program that, when I joined H&R Block 3 years ago, I demanded a clause allowing me to put this program on their computers. After investigating your program, their tech team recommended that the clause is allowed in my contract, a very rare concession by H&R Block. They have since designed a program for appointments, which is free, and which I am required to use. So we make our appointments in AbacusLaw first then input them into the AM. It takes a little more time but it is worth it. When a client says they have not heard from us, I print out the Abacus record of contact, showing the date and time calls were made and what messages were left. It immediately tames the angry beast and I usually get an apology. This program is the heart of my business. I would be lost without it.

Pros
Their support is absolutely the best. In the very unusual event that I need support, they always remember me, are friendly and super knowledgeable. Usually I am asking for a workaround to make their program do something it isn't designed to do. They could just impress me off, but they really try to make it work the way I need it, and they usually find a way. Having client info at my fingertips makes me look very efficient and very competent.

Judd Aronowitz

More Love/ less hate relationship

Reviewed 2018-09-21

My law practice is totally integrated with Abacus so my overall experience is positive. I think the next big thing that Abacus can do is better is connect with clerk of court's e-portal websites. Electronic filing of documents is now standard practice. I hope abacus starts improving its software to allow electronic filing directly from the program so that it will be just as easy as printing a letter.

Pros
I have been using Abacus Law for over 15 years. I have seen only steady improvement in this superior case management program. Technical assistance is usually good and sometimes superior. Sometimes it can be less than satisfactory but that is rare. I have used this program as a sole practitioner and in a firm with six attorneys plus staff. The program is designed to ramp up or down as needed. I have thousands of contacts, hundreds of forms and I rely on this program to handle my case notes,appointments, forms, documents, emails and bills. Like any case management program the "garbage in garbage out" rule still applies but if a practitioner and staff follows the rules they set up for using the program- then it becomes an indispensable tool. I cannot run my office without it.

Cons
When something goes wrong it can be aggravating. Because sometimes either the lawyer or staff have to spend a good deal of time resolving the problem with the Abacus technician. The one excuse that I don't like to hear from tech support is "that's an outlook issue or that's a windows issue or we have not updated our software to work with that yet."

Kayle Simpson

Support is nothing short of phenomenal! We switched from Amicus to Abacus and are very happy.

Reviewed 2017-06-20

We did the switch because of the buy-out of amicus but have been very happy with the change. We are doing everything through the cloud and it has been seemless.

Pros
Probably the most is the support. I put off my first support call for a long time--waited until I had a good chunk of time because I assumed I would be on hold forever. Not the case. The person that answered the phone (no hold time) was the person that solved my problem with ease. They explained what they were doing so that I could handle the next time if there was a next time and they haven't treated anyone in our office like they were dumb--even when they had no idea what they were doing. This has been the case each time we have called support. The transition, once all of our data was converted went smoothly and even our limited computer users had little problems from day one.

Cons
The least are probably things that I just don't understand how to do yet. We have only been using the software since January, so I try to spend a little time weekly learning a new aspect of the program. The one thing I wish it would do that amicus did, was in events, I could schedule events that would be added in once another even was completed. In abacus I can set dates out in advance, but they are not contingent on when something was completed. Hope that is something they are looking at for future upgrades. That is probably the only thing I miss from amicus.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Kayle,

We are tremendously glad to hear that the transition has been a good one! To take a deeper dive into the features of AbacusLaw, we recommend joining our weekly half hour "Free Training Friday" webinars. You are also more than welcome to contact our support team at any time who will be more than happy to impart some tips so you can fully take advantage of our software.

Watch past webinars and register for future ones here: https://www.abacusnext.com/webinars

Best, AbacusNext

JAMES FARR

ABACUS PRIVATE CLOUD - A GREAT COMPUTING PLATFORM FOR LAWYERS!!

Reviewed 2015-12-04

For the last 20 months my entire law office has been run on Abacus Private Cloud. It has worked flawlessly, with great, responsive, USA-based tech support (for set up issues and as needed thereafter). APC enabled me to put my entire law office into a private cloud environment, in an industrial data center custom-built solely for this purpose, dedicated to the legal profession, and managed by top-notch professionals in the data center industry; this is something I could never have achieved on my own, or through another vendor. The benefits to my law practice from Abacus Private Cloud are: - - My data is secure and safe in the Abacus Private Cloud data center. No more local data backups, because all data is on the private cloud server, and is backed up there. - - My local equipment costs are drastically lower than before I switched to a private cloud. I eliminated the three desktop computers that I was previously accessing remotely. - - I don't need costly application software on each local access device. All law office applications can be run on the private cloud server, not on local hardware. The local devices are there simply to display and interact with the private cloud server. - - My private cloud server can run any software, whether related to Abacus or not. Therefore, I can run the application software that my meets the specific needs of my law practice, regardless of the vendor. - - My local IT and tech support costs are $0. - - My staff and I have become totally mobile, without sacrificing efficiency. This means that each employee, as needed, can work on their own schedule, and from any location with cell phone coverage, electricity, and an Internet connection. This creates a flexible, modern, and dynamic work environment, resulting in a better quality of life, happier attorneys and staff, and a better work vs. life balance for all involved. - - All law office applications and data are accessible 24×7 for each user via any device: desktop computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone. - - Private cloud technical requests (e.g., email configuration, remote access from a new device, etc.) are promptly resolved by the Abacus Private Cloud support staff. - - System reliability (uptime) is outstanding. In sum, this is a truly great product, at a reasonable price, with great customer support. I highly recommend you get it!! Thanks.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Mr Farr: Thank you for being a valued Abacus client. We're glad that you have fully automated your practice Abacus Private Cloud, and enjoy your virtual workplace environment. We are committed to providing our clients with a comprehensive suite of fully managed legal technology products and services to help guarantee the integrity and security of their sensitive data, as well as to enable their success and ultimate performance. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you, we wish you much success! Best, The Abacus Total Care Team

Amanda Spencer

Easy to use and customize, terrible customer support

Reviewed 2019-04-05

I've enjoyed using Abacus for many years. I used the cloud based option which was really great aside from the cost for storage space and it's limitations. I'm not crazy about their support team, but it wasn't a huge problem because it usually worked fine on it own. There are limits to the reporting, but they are also very customizable within those limits. Creating custom mail merge documents is a breeze.

Pros
I like the ease of making documents and templates with Abacus. It is very customizable and easy to use. I like having the matters and names databases and being able to cross reference cases with people. The reporting is good, but could use some work so that you can pull reports from 2 different databases at once (i.e. the addresses of all of the clients or providers for all active matters).

Cons
The draw back with Abacus is that it doesn't give you check lists or ways to case manage very well. It's easy to use and customize, which is good, because their customer services is slow and not great.

Response from AbacusNext

Dear Amanda,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review AbacusLaw. At AbacusNext, providing excellent products is very important to us, so it's good to hear we're delivering on that promise.

I'm sorry our client service hasn't met your expectations; please feel free to get in touch with me if I can help.

On behalf of all of us at AbacusNext, thank you for your patronage. We look forward to being of service for many years to come.

All the best,

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Norm Keyt

Problems with Support

Reviewed 2019-02-15

Three of four years ago, I would have given five stars on all categories. Things have changed. In addition, the new owners increased annual license fees 40% last year.

Pros
It is a comprehensive software product for a law office, with case management, document management and billing. Our firm has been using it for 12 years.

Cons
The original founder of Abacus had very high standards. Tech support was very good. You could always connect quickly with a knowledgeable tech support specialist. In addition, for the first 7 or 8 years we used it, it was virtually bullet proof. It rarely, if ever, had a crash or issue of any kind. In more recent versions, you started to see more crashes or technical problems. But, at least the support was good when needed. The founder sold the company a couple of years ago. They acquired Amicus, several other products and most recently HotDocs. The quality of their tech support has significantly deteriorated. For example, we had a crash using the billing component, with a window that popped up with an error code this morning at roughly 9:00 a.m. Called tech support, was on hold for ten minutes, then prompted to leave a message. Left message at 9:10 a.m. this morning. In fact, both I and the user of the workstation left messages. It is 3:15 p.m. and Abacus has not called back.

Likelihood to recommend: 3/10

Louise Spurdle

Ongoing diffciulties

Reviewed 2018-08-17
Review Source: Software Advice

As usual, Customer support was very helpful. He called when he said he would and did his best to resolve the issues over which he had control. Where the issues related to Amicus and he could not resolve them himself, he has pointed me in the right direction so that at least I can try to get them resolved in the future if he can’t do so whilst I am on annual leave. In my view, Customer support assistance is really the only redeeming feature of the support provided, with no one else showing any real interest in helping me. The product could be excellent but is let down by speed and support issues. Now I only bother to contact Customer support as he is the only person who has really shown any interest in trying to resolve issues.

Pros
The product has a number of useful features which make it good for use in legal work. The ability to store all documents and correspondences within a file and send them by email or move them to different files are excellent, as is the ability to generate template documents and amend as necessary

Cons
The product is often slow and cumbersome to use, with numerous glitches which never seem to get resolved. we are based in the UK and were told that we would have 24 hour support, but this simply hasn't happened. I have had some issues with Outlook, copying and pasting and documents not attaching to emails for three months now and, whilst Customer support has made every attempt to try and sort these out, he is only able to do so during US working hours (which means from around 3pm UK time) and, despite his commitment and many efforts, the problems are still not resolved which, I understand, is because there is a bug for which there is so far no fix.

Likelihood to recommend: 2/10

Julie Luci

Would like more training (i.e. a weekly "how to" e-mail that is short and sweet with something abacus offers curtailed to how company uses the product would be nice.

Reviewed 2018-08-29
Review Source: Software Advice

The out of the ordinary task I was assigned frustrated me for several hours before I reached out for assistance. But when I did reach out, the assistance was there. It was something I could do, I just needed guidance. The executive from Abacus not only guided me through the process, but he explained what I was doing as we worked through to completion of the task and how it worked so I could easily do on my own the next time. Today, I had to go back in and add another search element and was able to do so without the frustration as before. I understood how it worked, and to clone what was already working so I didn't lose what had been done but improved upon it. Thank you very much for the help AND suggestion to clone before editing!

Pros
It combines calendar (both legal and non-legal), accounting and legal / case management into one area. Legal forms are updated regularly. Notes can be made addressing each case progress and conflict of interest checks are easily manageable. Automatic population is convenient when working on new matters under regular clients. The help line has always been quick, easy and convenient. Every person I have ever spoken with has been of great assistance, without hesitation. Thank you.

Cons
It is difficult (for me) to figure out the help through the on line directions to complete an out of the ordinary task.

Michael Weinman

AbacusLaw is Essential for Saving Time and Money

Reviewed 2018-08-28

Our experience with AbacusLaw has been very beneficial in keeping matters organized and running smoothly. And also, knowing that if any issue should arise, it will be promptly seen to by their very capable IT team, which may be what makes AbacusLaw essential. Their team is always courteous and ready to serve you in a timely manner. As far as the software itself, there is rarely a problem.

Pros
Organization is key, so being able to link matters with the calendar and pull up events with so little effort makes my job much easier. I cannot imagine running a law firm without this program. It makes all the difference when you are in the business of billing clients based on time spent on their particular matter. The full scope of events, dates, time and time spent are at the ready, saving a tremendous amount of time. AbacusLaw is incredibly functional. This software has it all, and I feel that our small firm isn't implementing the software to it's fullest capabilities. This is apparent as there are helpful suggestions each morning when I login and go to my calendar.

Cons
There is little to not like about the software. I suppose if it were free and could read my mind, but...

Michael Luther

Been with them for almost 10 years and each version gets better and better

Reviewed 2017-06-16

Most important... CONSOLIDATION! Abacus Law integrated the case management, "tickler" by rule, forms, contacts, matter, ACCOUNTING AND BILLING, all into a single easy to use and learn package. Changes in one area and iterated throughout the software. We almost never and disparate or duplicate data. Well Done!

Pros
Ease of use, consistency in operation, great support. In nearly our entire use, different versions and our transition to the "cloud" last year, our up-time has been nearly 99%. I was worried about transitioning to APC (cloud), but the support and transition and setup was painless and well executed. Our employees barely noticed the difference, but for, the Remote Desktop link... Very well done!

Cons
There are a few very minor custom things, but overall, nothing worth mentioning. As I said, I have been a happy customer for about 10 years, seen the growing pains, and various upgraded and improvements, each being better than the previous. We've been quite pleased.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

We appreciate your enthusiasm and thank you for your feedback! It has been a pleasure to serve you over the past decade.

Sharenda Arko

Abacus - a comprehensive program

Reviewed 2018-09-27

Overall Abacus has saved me a tremendous amount of time. Prior to its use, we were using three programs to do the work of Abacus, which meant entering basic information in three different programs and inputting data from one program into another to run reports, do billing, etc. Abacus has saved us a great deal of time.

Pros
I like the fact that Abacus Law and Abacus Accounting work so well together. Everything integrates nicely which saves me a lot of time. I also like the fact that tech support is local (in San Diego), speaks English, and is (almost) always available.

Cons
Our software developed a "glitch" quite some time ago and neither tech support, nor the engineering staff, were able to resolve it. It's still there, and it keeps throwing me error messages, but the program works in spite of it. Our main complaint is that we would like to upgrade to the new version of Abacus, but it does not work offline, so we've had to stay with the older version. (Internet in our area of town goes down frequently, and our practice is very Abacus-dependent.)

Tera McNeil

AbacusLaw User

Reviewed 2019-01-23

This program has been very user friendly. Info is easy to add or delete from a file in this program. It keeps issues very organized. Tabs can be customized to your firm.

Pros
This software allows us to keep our client's files organized. We can tailor this program to what we need in our client's files based on what out firm does, and/or what type of case it is. We can keep up with our calendars and everyone can log in from wherever they are and see the daily organizer for all or individuals. It allows us to keep notes in files, monitors for conflicts, and is very useful for setting ticklers to use as reminders. I find it very useful that it keeps up with all the players and their info under "linked names". Also keeps up w/ events, docs, & emails in one place.

Cons
If things are moved on the main drive, it breaks the links in abacus and they are no longer able to be found or traced if whomever moves the doc or breaks the link doesn't make a new one at that time.

Angela Lee

Abacus makes accounting easy.

Reviewed 2017-06-29

Pros
Abacus has everything we need for our daily functions and makes basic accounting easy. We can access our client's many different ways (i.e.: name, matter, ID). I love the way the top bar is set up. The icons are used daily. I can print out reports for the partner within seconds. Easy transfer of funds from one client to another.

Cons
Sometimes when updates are made, there are problems with the monthly billing and client payments. After inputting the time tickets, sometimes the program freezes up and we need to shut down the system a couple of times and even need to call customer services for help. Also, when printing the invoices, even though I put them in alpha order, when they print out, they print out numerically or even one time recently just printed out (255 bills) in no methodical way. The same thing happens when inputting client payments. Instead of allowing me to input what I want to input, if I mark an invoice or invoices.

Alisha Ankers

We feel very supported with Abacus and enjoy glitch free work days 99% of the time.

Reviewed 2018-07-24

It saves time and makes the coordination of tasks among staff more efficient. The database organization is simple to use and explore.

Pros
It is easy to learn and the customer service/software support people are very knowledgeable if something doesn't make sense. The software is very intuitive and saves lots of time. Saving time means getting more work done in a day. It is reasonably priced for the initial investment, and the support is a considerable value when softwares other than Abacus update and functionality changes. We moved our office 2 years ago, and taking Abacus along and getting us set up in our new location was EASY! Adding and replacing equipment has been seamless, like new PCs, phones, and/or laptops. The Abacus team is amazing!

Cons
Sometimes the updates come at the most inopportune times. It would be better if we could chose when to update things more in coordination with IT personnel for major updates.

Anonymous

Ugh. I use it because I don't feel I have a better option...

Reviewed 2018-01-11

The cost vs other comparable software is the primary reason why this software was chosen. Additionally (just as important to us) is that the data is stored on our network and not the cloud.

Pros
The legal billing and trust accounting functions are great. However, the rest of the accounting functionality really stinks. I like how for billing, you can schedule a bill to e-mail or print and it automatically does it (e/m or print) when you finalize the bills.

Cons
I'm used to QuickBooks. I hate that I can't drill down to detail from reports. I hate that I can't type a vendor's name when I tab to the field when entering A/P (you have to open the search window and search for the vendor...there's no way to fully navigate through data entry without taking your hands off the keyboard). Data between the "Law" program and the "Accounting" program becomes "out of sync" frequently. There's a script to run to attempt to fix it, but it takes hours to run.

Likelihood to recommend: 3/10

Sarah Ladd

Help received

Reviewed 2015-12-30

To whom it may concern, I just had to take a moment to send an email to thank Dean for his invaluable, over and beyond customer service, he is a true asset to your company, and I hope that Abacus customer service management knows what a devoted, knowledgeable employee you have. I attended Dean's webinar on Mail Merge in Abacus on Wednesday on 12/16/2015, which was great, and a real informative webinar, that was well planned, easy to follow, and full of useful information. However, I am writing this email to acknowledge what Dean did for me afterwards. After the webinar, I had emailed Dean asking if he could help me create a query to generate a client list, (past, and current), that have an email address, with their phone number's and if he could help me make a excel spreadsheet with this information, which was not something my employer had paid for, but we desperately needed. She had been asking me to generate this list for the past two weeks, and despite my endless attempts, I could not figure out how to generate a query that would do this correctly. Within minutes Dean had generated a query, showed me how to use it, how to modify it, and how Abacus could assist our office in the future to generate letters, emails and help turn potential leads into paying clients. I was amazed, and so completely grateful, I joked with him that he single handily may have saved my job! I had to take this time to send this email because it is not often that I come across someone that is so good at their job, not to mention completely dedicated, with such excellent customer service skills. I will be recommending to the attorney I work for that we attend more webinars, and utilize Abacus and all its features for her practice, and as a tool to run a smooth, successful law firm. Again, thank you Dean, I cannot express my gratitude to you for going over and beyond to help me help my employer!!! Have a great holiday, and a Happy New Year!

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with details about your experience with Abacus. Our team is committed to providing the highest levels of customer service to our clients, and we are happy to hear that that was the service you received. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you, we wish you much success!

Caroline Earle

Abacus Law has grown with my business!

Reviewed 2018-08-31

Exceptional. The software is useful, practical and designed specifically for attorneys. The customer service is unparalleled across the board. Fast, efficient, professional, knowledgeable. Always there, always helpful and always cheerful (no matter how many times I call!).

Pros
I love the format and the ease with which I can create new matters, organize my contacts and bill my matters. I started with AbacusLaw as a solo practitioner and have grown my firm to include two other attorneys and an admin. The attorneys are all networked in the cloud now, and Abacus was able to grow with me and provide additional support solutions for our small firm. The Abacus Accounting has given me great billing capacity and kept my accounts in order.

Cons
I have not found the forms functionality very accessible. I was an experienced attorney when I signed on with AbacusLaw, so this is not something that I particularly need.

Bill Robinson

Eight years and going strong

Reviewed 2015-07-21

With 250,000 users they must be doing something right! I suspect that those of us without issues don't bother to comment. It makes sense that if you have had a problem then you squawk about it. I know I do! Our firm has been using this product for over eight years. In recommending it to another firm I came across these reviews. I could not disagree more. Like any system it takes some training. We hired an outside instructor to come in for two days to train. Once we got the basics down we grew with it. The nice feature it comes with is that every time you log in, it gives you tips for the day that expand your knowledge or remind you of something you may have fogotten. The features that I appreciate most are linking your emails from Outlook to the matters file. That is an enormous time saver. The notes file is likewise extremely useful in refreshing your memory on things that have transpired. Both come with a preview of the content similar to your email. It makes life easy and certain with the current forms embedded for civil matters and court forms. The home screen might not be as pretty as some but it is very simple to understand and use. Documents get scanned and saved to the matters file with ease. Overall there is nothing about our personal I jury cases I can't put my hands on quickly. And remotely when I am out of the office. Some have complained about customer service. I guess that is a universal complaint we all have with almost software company. But honestly, when our IT guy gets on the phone with them and they speak the same language, we have never had a problem. I could not run our firm without Abacus.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Hi Mr. Robinson, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, and thank you for being one of our valued clients. With over 30 years of service, we¿ve learned from our most successful clients that it takes much more than a simple software product to build and grow a successful Law Firm. We value your insight, and are committed to providing all of our clients with a comprehensive suite of fully managed legal technology products and services to help guarantee the integrity and security of their sensitive data, as well as to enable their success and ultimate performance. Best, The Abacus Team

Timothy Marble

Abacus Law with APC lets me work anywhere with complete control of my office and my cases.

Reviewed 2018-07-24

Pros
With APC I can work from home in the morning, go to the office and log in again right where I left off without having to maintain expensive servers. Tech support has been very responsive and always available whenever we have a problem, which is not very often. The features of Abacus Law are completely customizable to suit the needs of my practice. There are lots of great tutorials and other online resources to help us get the most from Abacus Law.

Cons
We had used Amicus Attorney for many years but wanted a full featured program that integrated case management with accounting. The transition to Abacus Law was not as easy as I had hoped and took a considerable amount of time. However, the transition team was great to work with and stayed with the project until they were able to successfully convert my data. Also, compared to Amicus, the user interface with Abacus Law is not as intuitive and has a bit of a learning curve. However, overall it is a more robust and feature rich product.

Valerie Hanners

AbacusLaw Review

Reviewed 2018-10-10

We have used AbacusLaw for at least the 18 years I have been employed and are very satisfied with the product. Helps to keep our office on top of calendaring events for our litigation cases, i.e., meetings, discovery deadlines, depositions and trials.

Pros
I work for a small firm, so we only using the calendaring system. I do like the ease of going into the calendar and just clicking on a particular day to enter my calendar event. I especially like the software for preparing trial calendars.

Cons
When I print my weekly calendar and there is a holiday that week, I have to remove "holiday" in order to print the full information for the holiday event (i.e., Court and Office Closed), otherwise it cuts it off. Once I print the calendar I have to go back in to add the holiday back, so it will continue to show up for the following year. Not a major problem, just a little inconvenient.

Judith Daly

I have used Abacus for over 10 years, and have found it to be extremely intuitive to use.

Reviewed 2017-07-13

I am a very effective in my billing using this software.

Pros
When using Abacus to manage cases, the process is as simple as doing the client work, then billing the time, and finally creating an event to either follow up on what was done, to perform an additional task, or to appear in court on a specific date. I can then move from client to client, not have to remember anything because I will always know the exact status of each client's matter. And if a client calls, I don't have to pull a file to update them on the status of their matter.

Cons
With the most recent version we have had an unusual number of things that are not working the same way they worked prior to the update. While the support staff seems capable, they are on the West Coast and I am on the East Coast, so I end up staying at the end of the day to resolve issues.