Zola Suite

Modern Legal Practice Management with Best-in-Class Features

visit website

Zola Suite Reviews

Steven G.

Integration with email is awesome and our staff gets a sense that your team is continually improving and adding options which makes it even more exciting.

Paul M.

Having the accounting "internal" for both trust & non trust accounts is a great help in not needing to use Quickbooks, then re-enter/log the checks, costs, details.

Chris S.

Cons

Until recently, we could live with those glitches. However, the software now refuses to delete emails from my Inbox and the company cannot correct this problem.

Catherine B.

It has been one of the worst conversions we have ever experienced.

Shawn M.

There isn't much to say in terms of negative content that I personally have experienced.

Nick R.

Great Suite to Manage Law Practice

Transcript

Jeff: Hi, my name is Jeff, I'm a partner at a small boutique firm. I give Zola Suite a five out of five....

Best overall in case management software, but has minor UI annoyances

After using Clio, MyCase, and PracticePanther at various points in my career (and testing CosmoLex and RocketMatters most recently when opening a new firm), none of the CMS programs on the market have come close to ZolaSuite's comprehensive functionality. Having the ability to do not just case management and billing, but complete firm accounting/reconciliation is a godsend. The integrated CRM in the Enterprise Plus tier is fantastic - no need to have an outside CRM that may or may not fully integrate with your CMS. The email feature is the clencher - having an actual, FULL email inbox that syncs with Gsuite email makes keeping case-related correspondence a snap.

Pros

Robust program that covers everything from case management to client lead intake to comprehensive firm accounting. Easy to use and navigate for the most part. Integrated CRM and FULL accounting of all operating and trust accounts with triple reconciliation keeps the entire process streamlined and accessible without having to utilize a dozen different programs and hoping nothing falls through the cracks.

Cons

Has minor UI issues that can be annoying, particularly the inability to active a full subscription without going through a multi-step process involving both the sales department and support team at Zola. This should be a "click here, pick your plan, enter your payment method" process with no need to have it "activated" by the company before being able to use it. That being said, there are some additional features that I would love to see Zola add/integrate/improve ASAP (which I am sending to Zola as suggestions for future improvements). If these features were incorporated, ZolaSuite would certainly be a category killer and rapidly take over the entire market, but they are not "dealbreaker" items as far as I'm concerned for overall ratings.

Zola Helps Greatly with Productivity

Zola has definitely made billing and invoicing much more efficient. Not just for us, but also for the client. Being able to easily pay their invoices has been very helpful. Also, Zola has a variety of reports you can run to see all aspects of your firm's financial and billing records. There are so many reports which you can create to determine how your company is being run.

Pros

The customer service is excellent. Sometimes a software can be good, but if the customer service is not as good or better, it can make working with it more difficult. I have always had great customer support whenever calling Zola, and I called a lot at the beginning of the software implementation. I don't call as often now, but I know when I do call, I will get the same customer support as I did when I called more often. The Customer Support team is very good!

Cons

In the Documents section, there is no way to easily blackline documents and keep newer versions. Zola's software does not recognize the newer versions of documents. I'm hoping they will change this in the future.

Hi, Eva. Thank you for your feedback. We're thrilled to hear that Zola Suite has helped your practice become more productive. Within Zola's document management section, you can upload new versions of documents and the current version number will appear on the right of the document's name (example: "Ver 5"). By simply clicking on the version number, you will see every version that was uploaded along...

Problems Never Seem to End

Overall - Be very careful before going Zola Suite. It's not a panacea. I'm currently looking into other programs that may be a bit more expensive, simply because Zolasuite has made me lose too much client chargeable time dealing with all their random quirks. I'm a solo practitioner and, literally, time is money for me. I don't have an IT department to deal with the growing pains that Zola Suite is making their users experience.

Pros

Robust all-in-one package, which makes it very unique in the law practice management sphere. Very reasonably priced for the functionality. Relatively easy to use once you get past the learning curve. US-based support that is very responsive (more on that below).

Cons

Where do I begin?! I have had nothing but problems since the beginning - and I've only been using it for about 4 months. I prepaid for a year and now I regret it. I wanted an all-in-one reasonably priced software that includes CRM, accounting/billing, and time tracking without having to integrate with other apps. However, the program is a bit slow and clunky (I have a new laptop, so it's not the...

Hi Jennifer. Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're very sorry to hear about your negative experiences. We recognize that transitioning to a new platform can be challenging but we strive to make the process efficient and seamless whether you're a solo practitioner or a member of a 200-user firm. In reviewing your feedback, it seems that many of these issues could have been resolved with more comprehensive training and better communication during the onboarding process. We have shared this feedback with our dedicated onboarding and training team, and a member of our senior leadership team will be in touch to make sure you are configured for success with Zola moving forward.

Significant upgrade from our last billing software

Zola Suite is significantly improving the efficiency of our timekeeping and billing processes. We are spending less time to get bills out, and they are going out faster. I am very happy we made the switch.

Pros

First and foremost, being able to access the software via a web-based login is extremely useful, especially when so many of us are working from home. Time entry is straightforward and easy. I do feel like it is helping us capture a higher percentage of our billable work than we did in the past. Most of the reporting functionality is really great. Customer support has been extremely responsive and helpful. Integration with Quickbooks Online is really nice.

Cons

The transition from our old software to the new (e.g., data migration) was tough. To be fair, we expected it to be tough: we used the old software for almost 15 years so it had a lot of data and we were heavily reliant on it and very used to the way it worked. The Zola customer service folks worked with us tirelessly to make it happen and that was great, but even though we expected the transition to...

Hi Michael. Thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that Zola has significantly improved the efficiency of your timekeeping and billing processes. We're sorry to hear that your migration expectations were not met. With an advanced migration, our team will migrate contacts, calendar events, matters, tasks, unbilled time entries, trust balances and more. While most legal practice management...

Great Product!

Time management has been greatly improved. I was very nervous to change software as I have been using the same software for just short of 20 years (we used the same software in our prior firm). The Zola Suite team was amazing at holding my hand through the process and making sure that we were satisfied with everything.

Pros

Zola Suite saves us time that we didn't realize we were wasting before. We're able to efficiently maintain and manage clients, files and leads all in one place. It also makes working from home as efficient as working in the office. Further customer support is amazing. They promptly answer every single question and concern.

Cons

There is very little that we dislike about Zola Suite. Anything that we have concerns about, they try to address and show us a proper way to manage. There are definitely some areas that are different than our prior software but that's to be expected. There are so many benefits to Zola Suite that we are not actually able to take full advantage of them yet as we are still working on transitioning to the system and learning the ins and outs.

Former (long time) Clio User Converting to Zola Suite

I have been a Clio user for approximately 8 years. I have gone to all but two of the cloud conferences. I think it is a good product. However, Zola Suite does three things better (for me- a sole practitioner) and that is: 1. Better email management; 2. Better dashboard for seeing my practice at a glance, and 3- Managing and utilizing Intake forms and Custom matter fields for quick input and access to matter details and using those details to create merge documents. Clio is good, but for me, Zola Suite is better.

Pros

First and foremost is the email system. All emails (both incoming and sent) are easily attached to the file with a click of the mouse. it is also very easy to attach a file document (a Z-doc) to an outgoing email or to download an email attachment directly to the file. Using the Intake forms (both shared and internal) are handy ways to have the quick information (critical dates, expenses, etc) at...

Cons

The inability to connect with services like Zapier. I have a love-hate relationship with Clio and Zapier. I enjoyed linking Google forms and Smartsheet and Clio. I miss having that ability. I am also having challenges utilizing virtual assistants with the system. However, I am getting used to, and preferring using just one system.

A great legal management product for law office with awesome customer support!

Grow to love this product on a daily basis. Zola Suite continues to improve and update its functions and services offered. It makes billing and invoicing a lot easier. Highly recommend!

Pros

There are so many things to rave about this legal management software. If we have to pick, I would say its awesome customer service and its basic accounting capabilities offered.

Cons

Glitches and technical errors, especially with Zola Suite email system, happen more often than our liking; however, Zola Suite's awesome technical support team and their great availability and ease of accessibility make these problems bearable.

Great Product

Pros

Zola Suite has been super easy to use. Although they provided an onboarding specialist to walk me through the product, I didn't need the help. The product is very intuitive.

Cons

There isn't anything that I don't like about the platform. But if I have to include something, I wish the Zola email offering would allow opened emails to pop out in a separate window or tab, making it easier to copy/paste content from other emails or search other emails for content while the one email is open. Not at all a big deal though, and it's easy to work around.

Hi Jack! Thank you so much for your review. In regards to email, you can open it in a new window or tab by clicking on the icon that has an arrow pointing towards the top-right direction. You can also double-click inbound emails to open in a new window.

Excellent Practice Management Software

Pros

On the whole, Zola is an excellent practice management software. The onboarding process was smooth and we were easily able to get our client and matter databases uploaded. The built-in email integration is hands-down the best feature about Zola. After linking your email account, the integrated email application allows us to quickly and easily save client correspondence and attachments directly to...

Cons

The CRM feels pretty lacking. The fact that it is included is a nice bonus over other practice management offerings, but the overall functionality isn't great. You can't customize the CRM/sales process stages or really anything about the CRM for that matter, so you have to brute force your own process to fit what is given to you. We decided to use a different software for our CRM because it ultimately...

Hi, Conner. Thank you for your feedback; we're thrilled to hear that Zola Suite has helped to improve your firm's efficiency and profitability. We're sorry that Zola CRM's capabilities have not lived up to your expectations. Currently, firms can only customize CRM Sources within Firm Settings but we're working on a major update that will include the ability to customize CRM stages. With respect to task management, we're actively working on the ability to add individual due dates for subtasks. We'll be sure to update you when it's released.

Zola Suite is Great for Law Practice but could use Improvement

Overall, Zola Suite makes it easy to track time, billing, deadlines, maintain notes on interviews and phone calls. If Zola ironed out some kinks, including the ease by which emails are saved from Outlook into the software, it would be a top product.

Pros

Billing and keeping track of time is very easy with this software. Additionally, the "Tasks" feature is very helpful for remembering deadlines and the like.

Cons

Zola Suite does have a few bugs that could use some ironing out. Some days, some of the features are unavailable. At times, saving emails to the email page from Outlook is not as easy as it should be. If Zola Suite addressed this, it would be near perfect.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, Lucas! We're so glad to hear that Zola Suite's time tracking and task management features have helped you be more efficient. A member of our team will be in touch to discuss the Outlook issue you're experiencing; it sounds like we may need to update your Outlook plugin.

Intuitive and useful software for managing a law practice

We are solving matters falling through the cracks. We are able to save all emails to the file and organize documents in a centralized spot. Documents can be organized into specific categories. The accounting feature allows employees and supervisors to track progress and productivity. Invoices are sent directly from the platform to the email address on file for the client. The client portal allows clients to upload files directly. Payments made by clients are reconciled immediately. Matters are managed and tracked from a single place. The time keeping functions are helpful, i.e. tracking phone call and email lengths, with the option to auto-create a tyime entry. This is great product for solo and small firms.

Pros

The support staff is incredibly knowledgeable and quick to respond to any inquiries. If a feature is missing, they are quick to fix or add it. Billing is quick and easy, as is jumping to various matters. The calendar syncs to other calendar apps, making scheduling accurate. The reporting feature shows many different metrics of productivity. You can email directly from a matter and create a time entry,...

Cons

The task feature is helpful for remembering deadlines and setting reminders, but does not send alerts when a task becomes due or overdue. Sometimes there is a delay between an email being received in my inbox and showing in Zola. Email glitches happen with some regularity. There is no ability to pop emails out in a separate window. When we have had an issue in the past, Zola has been fast to respond and resolve the issue. They have added functions and features based on our requests. There are bugs, but they work hard to correct them.

Hi Katherine, we're glad to hear that Zola Suite helps you manage your practice in a more efficient way. In regards to Zola's task feature, users who assign a task to another member of their team have the ability to receive an alert when the task is completed or overdue. Those who were assigned the task will receive an email with the task description and due date, and if the assignee doesn't complete the task in time, it will display in the "Overdue" tab of the assignee's task list. In addition, Zola's email client supports the ability to pop emails out into a separate window when viewing and composing emails. Please reach out to our Support team if you have any questions.

Great product which keeps getting better & customer service can't be beat

Zola Suite is an excellent product which delivers in every advertised aspect. You get exactly what they tell you you will get. And if you're unsure, you get a free trial of the product for 1 month to decide for yourself. In the 6+ months I've used Zola Suite I am continuously impressed by the features the product contains (and the list grows on a weekly basis by way of updates that happen in the...

Pros

Great user interface. Reliable. Excellent customer service. Consistent updates making the product even better & adding new features (without charging you more for them).

Cons

Not every feature you want may be available today.

Great now, but with room to grow even greater.

Pros

The website and app are easy to use, responsive and have a fairly logical layout. It's easy to search and find information, and data input is relatively simple. Our office doesn't use Zola as an all-in-one solution, but for the parts we use daily (which is still most of the features), we're very happy with the state of the software. Customer service has been incredibly responsive, and you really get the feel that they are willing to invest the time in problem solving. I also really feel like my input has been taken into account as product updates roll out. The mobile app has improved by leaps and bounds. It is in an excellent place, and very usable.

Cons

There are still a few bugs and features to fill in gaps as the software matures further, but nothing that prevents functionality. I've been with Zola for about 18 months; what would have been my biggest cons 6 months ago have since been addressed. The email interface requires the most work, but it too is nonetheless in a good state. Tagging emails to cases could be a little easier, and moving emails...

Finally ... a forward-thinking, cutting edge solution combining full functionality and ease of use.

Pros

The email integration is a revelation. Not only does it allow me to organize all email by matter, the automatic timer that creates a time entry for every email pays for the subscription by itself. Document management and automation are both outstanding in Zola. The user interface is outstanding. Every screen is logically laid out, packed with all the information I want to see at a glance, and visually...

Cons

The process of sending an invoice could be streamlined, enabling the entire creation and delivery of the invoice from one screen (it requires a trip to the accounting tab to finish), and a send button would be nice, rather than the small share icon. Still, once you learn it, the process works as is. The client portal is new and fairly basic (with the exception of the optional smart phone app), enabling only limited document sharing, and lacks the private messaging and other functions I have found in other providers. But I think it is only a matter of time before Zola fully develops this secure communication tool. Email integration has been a bit buggy, but so far tech support has resolved any issues that cropped up.

A case management system that truly works for solos.

Zola Suites is a comprehensive case management program that is constantly improving. Its affordable, easily accessible, loaded with guides and tutorials to help us slow and technologically challenged lawyers, and the customer service is top notch. As a solo practitioner it has been difficult to find a case management software company that truly cares about your practice and that is truly there to help...

Pros

The task template which allows me to create specific templates based upon my practice and how I work versus a generic input system.

Cons

I would like to see the task template updated to automatically populate a time schedule based upon the user's creation, in which of course the user should be able to revise it as needed for each entry. I would also like to see more customized billing. The current invoices are too generic. Lastly, document assembly and a document automation component is something Zola should consider as well.

Thanks for the review! Invoices can be customized to add as much (or as little) detail as you would like. Our support team will contact you to help you reconfigure your current template until you are 100% satisfied. Document assembly and automation features are in development and will be rolled out later this summer. Stay tuned, you won¿t be disappointed. We are also working on updating our task templates to add more features and will reach out to you to get your input.

Zola Suite is Perfect for Small and Solo Law Firms

Zola Suite has saved me quite a bit of overhead, as I have cut out all third party providers with the exception of payroll.

Pros

Zola Suite allows me to manage both the clients side and the business side of my practice with ease. When I moved to solo practice I knew I would need a solid and easy to use practice management system and Zola has been a perfect fit for my needs. I also love the support Zola provides with real humans who are knowledgable about the product. Their follow up is outstanding.

Cons

I wish Zola had a better means for client to push a tab on my invoices and pay by credit card. Zola does integrate with Law Pay which has that feature, but the process gets clunky. That said, it is entirely possible that Zola has implemented a better process for credit cards and I am just unaware of it.

Thank you for sharing your feedback, David. We're glad that Zola Suite is helping to manage the business side of your practice with ease. We're sorry to hear you're having trouble with Zola's LawPay integration. A member of our support team will reach out to you for further assistance.

A must have for every modern law office

Pros

All the features Zola has to offer far exceed my expectations. The fact that you can tie every aspect of your law office in one central location makes everything so much easy in day to day operations. Document storage, data base, billing, expense tracking, template creation and usage, email. Everything you need in one location at the touch of a button

Cons

Emailing has limits in that there is no delivery/read receipt. In this day of electronic filing and communication, these features are very important to a law office. The app has a significant amount of limits that make its use a bit frustrating for our attorneys as they can't utilize all the billing codes properly for our firm.

Thank you for your review! We're committed to your firm's success and we're so happy to hear that we've exceeded your expectations. We do offer advanced proof of (email) delivery via an exclusive integration with RMail. We'd be happy to walk you through the process of sending one of these messages. As with the other features in Zola Suite, it's designed with the user in mind and you can do it all right through your dashboard ¿ no third party logins required! We'd love to learn a bit more about the issues you've encountered with billing codes. Our main goal is to help you run a more efficient practice, so please contact us at your earliest convenience.

Great Suite to Manage Law Practice

I'm amble to monitor my associates with ease. The problem, like everything else, was getting them to buy in. Once they did, everyone's life is much easier.

Pros

There is so much information that you can include within each matter, including contacting information, billable, documents, emails, etc., that makes it the only comprehensive choice that I would consider for law practice management.

Cons

I wish there was a dashboard that was developed for each matter that displayed everything in one comprehensive page, rather than having to visit multiple tabs.

A comprehensive system that meets all of my practice management needs

Pros

The RPost (e-mail encryption and e-signatures) and LawPay integrations, along with all of Zola Suite's inherent features (case management, custom forms, document automation, document management, excellent time tracking, client portal, business and trust accounting, etc.) provide a seamless and paperless process from client intake and e-signature of the engagement letter to getting the work done to...

Cons

At one point, the e-mail integration was a bit buggy, and the merging of data from custom form fields for the document automation feature did not work as advertised on the training video. Fortunately, both of those issues have been resolved and have worked well since then.

Best practice management!!

Pros

I love many features from Zola suite. Matter section is perfect. Calendar is good, too. Client intake forms a must.

Cons

Nothing! It is a perfect practice management.

Practice management that understands that this is a business I'm running

Pros

The two big things that Zola gets right are the accounting component and work flow for billing. Before trying Zola, I tried manual spreadsheets, FreshBooks, Harvest, CaseOne, Clio, Xero, ebility, and probably some others. None of them got out of the way and let me run a business like Zola does. Yes, they assume that I have a dedicated office manager, but even when I do, why would I want to do that...

Cons

There are some user interface things that I think will improve in the coming year. (For example, I don't use Zola for email, the fact that it is front and center doesn't help me, but that is not something I have to work around.) They publish their roadmap so I know that the platform is going to develop.

Overall, very pleased with the software, generally easy to use, really enjoy working with the compan

Handles most of the tasks of law firm administration and management with ease. Really makes life and running a law office simpler, particularly for a solo or small firm with little to no staff.

Pros

The responsiveness of tech support and customer service to not only troubleshooting problems, but suggested features and improvements, is absolutely top notch. That alone is enough to really recommend Zola.

Cons

Sometimes, the workflow can be a bit awkward, as some features are less intuitive or require more steps. Links that you would expect to be there are sometimes missing (for example, there is no way to click on the Matter on the Task item to go to the Matter page). For the most part, though, these things are often fixed in updates, and the usability continues to be refined so that clunkier parts of the site get better over time.

I have used almost every legal software available. Zola is by far the most user friendly!

Time keeping is the biggest!

Pros

Zola customer service is prompt and very helpful. The software is user friendly and easy to navigate through. Time keeping and invoicing is very simple. We used to miss a lot of billable time not logging all emails, but with Zola once you open your email and select a matter the timer begins and is added to your matter time sheet when you click send! Zola seems to be updating their software often and offers new helpful features.

Cons

Caseway can use some work. Our clients find it difficult to set up their Caseway accounts. But it is constantly being improved with updates. The other, (although a minor issue) it would be nice to open attachments to view before downloading or saving to Zola docs.

Great Product for Solo

My overall experience has been very satisfactory. Customer service is excellent. When I have a question, I just type it into the help section and I receive either a phone call or email very promptly. As a solo, this product is amazing and does so much. The ability to do accounting and generate basic reports, which is all that I need, is very convenient. There is so much more that it can do, and I learn something new every day.

Pros

Zola Suites has helped me to be able to capture the time sending emails and making phone calls that ordinarily would slip through the cracks. This product more than pays for itself

Cons

i wish that Contacts would automatically link to my contacts on my Iphone

Practice Management, Accounting and Email/Calendar Functions all in one

We are solving the problem of too many programs to keep track of and the ease of use. Our issues are that there are only two forms of interaction with the program of administrator and user. We need an in-between level of some administration functions with the attorneys but not all the accounting information available to them.

Pros

Ease of Use and the combination of all of the functions of practice management, accounting and planning all in one program

Cons

Training is too much too soon. There needs to be an initial short training followed up in 30-60 days to do a more detailed training when everyone has used the program and can understand the program and ask meaningful questions