CARET Legal Logo
CARET Legal

Legal software solution that creates space for what matters

visit website

CARET Legal Reviews

4.5

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.06/10

Reviews by rating

Integration with email is awesome and our staff gets a sense that your team is continually improving and adding options which makes it even more exciting.
Having the accounting "internal" for both trust & non trust accounts is a great help in not needing to use Quickbooks, then re-enter/log the checks, costs, details.
Until recently, we could live with those glitches. However, the software now refuses to delete emails from my Inbox and the company cannot correct this problem.
It has been one of the worst conversions we have ever experienced.
There isn't much to say in terms of negative content that I personally have experienced.

Jeffrey K.

Member Attorney

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Great Suite to Manage Law Practice

Transcript

Jeff: Hi, my name is Jeff, I'm a partner at a small boutique firm. I give Zola Suite a five out of five....

Michael L.

Legal Services,

Great now, but with room to grow even greater.

Pros

The website and app are easy to use, responsive and have a fairly logical layout. It's easy to search and find information, and data input is relatively simple. Our office doesn't use Zola as an all-in-one solution, but for the parts we use daily (which is still most of the features), we're very happy with the state of the software. Customer service has been incredibly responsive, and you really get the feel that they are willing to invest the time in problem solving. I also really feel like my input has been taken into account as product updates roll out. The mobile app has improved by leaps and bounds. It is in an excellent place, and very usable.

Cons

There are still a few bugs and features to fill in gaps as the software matures further, but nothing that prevents functionality. I've been with Zola for about 18 months; what would have been my biggest cons 6 months ago have since been addressed. The email interface requires the most work, but it too is nonetheless in a good state. Tagging emails to cases could be a little easier, and moving emails...

JS

Jack S.

Great Product

Pros

Zola Suite has been super easy to use. Although they provided an onboarding specialist to walk me through the product, I didn't need the help. The product is very intuitive.

Cons

There isn't anything that I don't like about the platform. But if I have to include something, I wish the Zola email offering would allow opened emails to pop out in a separate window or tab, making it easier to copy/paste content from other emails or search other emails for content while the one email is open. Not at all a big deal though, and it's easy to work around.

Hi Jack! Thank you so much for your review. In regards to email, you can open it in a new window or tab by clicking on the icon that has an arrow pointing towards the top-right direction. You can also double-click inbound emails to open in a new window.

AF

Alex F.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Unreliable and slow but easy to navigate and has many features.

Zola was acquired by another company a few months ago. It was rebranded into CaRET and turned into complete garbage - it simply doesn't work. Salespeople send messages trying to upsell their credit card processing services and new subscription plans. Email on desktop software or mobile app has not been working for over a week! Customer service is useless and sends generic messages asking to perform various steps - none of which work. They ruined a good practice management program. I will not renew and do not recommend anyone else who cares about their practice and profitability.

Pros

Easy to navigate and intuitive. Have lots of features and functions, such as bi-directional email integration, trust accounting, CRM, billing, time tracking, etc.

Cons

Overall, the program is very slow and takes time to perform most tasks. Limits the number of credit cards you can sync with your bank; limits the billing/bulk options under certain plans; accounting module is very basic and light ages behind QuickBooks; CRM lacks depth and functionality of other CRMs.

Hi Alex. We're truly sorry to hear about your experience with CARET Legal. We'd love to help you with the issues you're facing regarding email, billing and accounting and overall performance. Please reach out to our support team at support@zolasuite.com and we'd be happy to speak with you further to resolve the issues you're experiencing.

SG

Steven G.

Great Product for Solo

My overall experience has been very satisfactory. Customer service is excellent. When I have a question, I just type it into the help section and I receive either a phone call or email very promptly. As a solo, this product is amazing and does so much. The ability to do accounting and generate basic reports, which is all that I need, is very convenient. There is so much more that it can do, and I learn something new every day.

Pros

Zola Suites has helped me to be able to capture the time sending emails and making phone calls that ordinarily would slip through the cracks. This product more than pays for itself

Cons

i wish that Contacts would automatically link to my contacts on my Iphone

Eric D.

The software is very intuitive making the transition from other software a snap

Pros

This software loads fast and is streamlined and instinctive. I am a former abacus user. It took me less than an hour to learn and master tasks in zolasuite that it took me months to figure out on abacus. In addition, the mobile app is huge if you are on the road. Even something as simple as being able to immediately create a timeslip for a phonecall you may have had with a client while waiting during a court recess is huge. It monetizes something you may as soon forget about when you return to the office. This means zolasuite could very well pay for itself based upon revenue you dont lose.

Cons

The migration from abacus was an issue. It occurred two weeks ago and what notes that are there are scrambled and attached to cases thet don't belong to. It may be worthwhile to handle this yourself.

Eric, thank you so much for this very thorough (and flattering) review. Regarding migration of your Notes, I'm very sorry we missed the mark on that; we actually pride ourselves in performing highly accurate and thorough migrations. I'm reaching out to you personally to make sure we get it right asap. Fred Cohen, CEO

JM

Jannine M.

Legal Services, self-employed

All in one practice management software

Very responsive. Love the software.

Pros

Everything you need to run your practice on 1 platform. Integrated email allow one less software program and saving communications directly to client file.

Cons

Email can have glitches at times but the Zola team is constantly updating, fixing bugs and adding new features.

Love this software

Pros

My favorite thing about this software is being able to access every case and document from anywhere. I also love the way that emails can be attached to cases eliminating the need to search through emails every time I have to go back.

Cons

The only negative thing I have to say about this software is that I wish you could save attachments directly through Outlook. I find navigating outlook easier that the email associated with Zola and it would be nice to be able to save it directly into a file rather than saving it onto my desktop first.

Jeffrey J.

Very user friendly

Pros

Ease of use, everything is all in one spot, great features, incorporates with my other software (i.e. - LawPay)

Cons

There are frequent updates to roll out new features. Although this is a good thing, things changing frequently in the software can sometimes slow down processing time.

Edward W.

Law Practice,

Easy to use software that easily integrated my e-mail and calendar making billing and storing easy.

Pros

Intuitive interface; easily syncs with G Suite. I took a demo of all of the top practice management programs and ended up going with Zola. I found the software is the easiest to use and worked well with how I like to organize my files. Honestly, cannot say enough great things about my experience thus far.

Cons

I have only been using Zola for a short period of time and have not experienced any cons. If I had to select a Con, it would be the lack of form templates.

Thank you for your fantastic review of Zola Suite, Edward. We want to make sure that you're aware that Zola Suite has document automation features and we provide unlimited complimentary training on how to use the form builder. We also will configure up to 3 routine documents for annual accounts. Please do not hesitate to reach out to our support team for more information.

Michael R. M.

Easy to use, comprehensive case management software

Greatly simplified my workflow- able to most of the practice-management tasks in one place and access it from anywhere I have an Internet connection.

Pros

Integrated e-mail. So far as I know, this is the only web-based case management software that natively handles e-mail. With other programs, you have to BCC e-mails to a special address to save them in relationship to a matter. With Zola, you simply choose from a drop-down menu. Help is fantastic, both in the sense of solving particular problems and modifying the program as needs become apparent.

Cons

The basic accounting functions are present, but are the weakest part of the program. This is not going to be a replacement for a full-fledged accounting program like Quickbooks, but is adequate to the task of running small to medium firms.

Be wary

Not great. The case management side isn't bad but the "all in one"/accounting feature costs me TONS of hours every month to try to manage it and try to fix issues and I went backwards, not forward when making this purchase. So many features that I took for granted in other programs as "standard" are just not functionalities in Zola.

Pros

The ability to assign tasks to employees and to add opposing counsel or other connected parties to the client profile is very useful.

Cons

The accounting functionality and largely not functional. It is not a user training issue as the company has stated for others with similar issues. I have spoken to customer service and was told that there is nothing that can be done as the functionality does not exist. When billing, I bulk bill and then it provides a print out of who got billed and what the total is, but then it doesn't print a...

Thank you for your feedback. Our teams have prioritized the issues your firm has faced and we appreciate your patience as we work to resolve them. We look forward to continuing to work closely with you and your team to ensure the right level of productivity.

AM

Andrew M.

The accountant's viewpoint.

Intuitive and easy to use. Easy to onboard a new user. Very accommodating of accountant users as well as non-accountant users.

Pros

The most outstanding features are the ease of customizing the Chart of Accounts and the ability to make journal entries. "Forms-based" software packages tend to force the users into vendor-by-vendor expense entries, whereas there is a need to be able to turn a bank statement and a credit card statement into journal entries which greatly streamlines entry and and ensures reconciliation. Zola allows use of both the forms-based approach and the journal entry approach.

Cons

I am desperate for a journal entry identifier. The thing I am trying to accomplish is being able to look up a transaction, not the j/e identifier and then look up the j/e to see both sides of the entry.

Hi, Andrew. Thank you so much for providing your feedback on Zola Suite. We're thrilled to hear how Zola has helped your firm become paperless. Regarding your note about journal entry identifiers, we have passed this request to our product team. Thank you for this recommendation.

Jim B.

Worst customer service experience

Zolasuite has been, by far, the WORST customer support experience I have had. I won't get in to the shortcomings of the software in too detail, but suffice it to say, the interface is very slow, the use of the software is clunky (try getting a doc e-signed and you will see what I mean, especially compared to the ease of use that I get with CLIO, who I will be staying with now), you either have to have...

Pros

Pricing was decent. But afterwards, even pricing did not justify shortcomings in the software.

Cons

Functionality was limited. Interface was very slow. Many processes were not intuitive or easy.

Jim, we're very sorry to hear about your experience working with CARET Legal. We pride ourselves on delivering white-glove support along with a robust platform and we're sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. We will be sure to pass along this feedback to our team and use it to continuously improve our services and our platform.

AP

Andrew P.

Practice management that understands that this is a business I'm running

Pros

The two big things that Zola gets right are the accounting component and work flow for billing. Before trying Zola, I tried manual spreadsheets, FreshBooks, Harvest, CaseOne, Clio, Xero, ebility, and probably some others. None of them got out of the way and let me run a business like Zola does. Yes, they assume that I have a dedicated office manager, but even when I do, why would I want to do that...

Cons

There are some user interface things that I think will improve in the coming year. (For example, I don't use Zola for email, the fact that it is front and center doesn't help me, but that is not something I have to work around.) They publish their roadmap so I know that the platform is going to develop.

KL

Kelly L.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

I have used almost every legal software available. Zola is by far the most user friendly!

Time keeping is the biggest!

Pros

Zola customer service is prompt and very helpful. The software is user friendly and easy to navigate through. Time keeping and invoicing is very simple. We used to miss a lot of billable time not logging all emails, but with Zola once you open your email and select a matter the timer begins and is added to your matter time sheet when you click send! Zola seems to be updating their software often and offers new helpful features.

Cons

Caseway can use some work. Our clients find it difficult to set up their Caseway accounts. But it is constantly being improved with updates. The other, (although a minor issue) it would be nice to open attachments to view before downloading or saving to Zola docs.

ST

Sheri T.

Need a manual to help with main features. It is good software, just not customer friendly at times

It does help me stay organized with time schedules, tasks to do, and client matters. It had good points, but is not very user friendly.

Pros

The software provides the ability to keep track of which area is bringing in more clients. Setting up the matters is a good function. Finally syncing the calendar with google is a plus (even if it did double everything at first..

Cons

Billing is difficult and does not integrate with bank accounts. Doubles the time. Also making corrections to information or adding information to the client matter is not easy and has no clear directions. Need a how-to manual.

Hi Sheri, Thank you for providing this feedback. Our team is currently in the process of creating a detailed user manual, but in the meantime you can access many instructional articles and videos by visiting our Help Center here: https://help.zolasuite.com/portal/home We plan on releasing a live bank account feed by the end of Q4, so we will be sure to reach out to you once that update is live. You can update Matter information at any time by going directly to that Matter and selecting the field you wish to edit. Our Support team is available to answer any questions you may have, and go through our Billing features in more detail. We offer unlimited training, so feel free to reach out by phone or email. Kind Regards, Eileen Ehrlich Client Success Manager

JL

John L.

User friendly intuitive

Really great experience and

Pros

User friendly intuitive easy to get implemented

Cons

Document automation is somewhat elementary but it works

Hi John, thank you so much for taking the time to review Zola. We really appreciate your feedback!

E

-Edward R.

Good Product -- would subscribe agan

Saves me about 3 hours a month on billing and other administrative tasks.

Pros

I like the ability that this product gives me to blend different types of billing methods within the same client. I have been searching for a product that would allow both hourly and flat fee billing by matter and not client.

Cons

Still trying to get my hands around the accounting module. Not sure if I am better to wait for full Quick Books integration to start using that functionality. Need to have some method for accounting for expense disbursement which does not require the entry of a check.

ln

lorienne n.

User friendly system

Pros

What I like most about Zola is the easy access to email on the front screen. I also like how you can enter events into the calendar from the email.

Cons

What I like least about this software is the difficulty of creating templates. I signed up for training on how to use templates but it wasn't much help.

Thank you for your review of Zola Suite. We're glad Zola Suite is helping streamline emails and calendaring. Depending on your requirements there are a number of ways that document templates can be set up. We're going to reach out to you so that we can set up a few together via screen share.

MC

Michael C.

Make remote practice easy

The experience has been great and has allowed me to work from home as if I was in the office.

Pros

This product has allowed my firm to work remotely and assists me in keep tracking of what everyone is working on without being in the same office

Cons

Create and saving new documents are a little difficult at first, but eventually you get used to it.

Thank you so much for your feedback, Michael! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience using Zola Suite.

SC

Susan C.

Law Practice, self-employed

Zola's customer support is top rate!

I was petrified to switch from Timeslips after 25 years, but Zola made it easy to figure out how to set up and use for billing. Seriously, the customer support could not possibly be better!

Pros

I have NEVER received better customer support from any software company! They pick up the phone right away, they are knowledgable and easy to understand, and they are friendly and polit. A++.

Cons

I use this only for billing, but two things could be improved: 1) there should be a field for phone number and email address along with mailing address on the top of bills (I can only plug in mailing address); and 2) it's a bit awkward to have to go from bill creation under Time to invoices under matters.

TE

Therese E.

Awesome program

I started a private practice and needed an all inclusive law practice management program. Zola Suite has exceeded my expectations and has allowed me to be organized, detailed and profitable. I highly recommend Zola suite to anyone...I only wish they had a program for my family's personal business as well.

Pros

The easy access

Cons

None

Kevin F.

Law Practice,

I have a very positive opinion of Zola Suite. It has helped me manage my new firm quite well.

Pros

I find it easy to use and self explanatory. The biggest benefit has been the ease of tracking my time and easily generating client invoices.

Cons

It's not unusual for the site to freeze on me or to run slow. I've had times where I lost an email I drafted because the system locked up and I ended up starting from scratch without it saving a draft of the email.

CB

Catherine B.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

I love this software, and I am picky.

Intuitive software to manage my cases, calendar, contacts, and tasks.

Pros

It is fast, intuitive, and easy to use. No kidding - you don't have to watch hours of training videos to use it. This system is obviously designed by lawyers for lawyers. It handles all the essential functions of a modern law office, including emails with an easy interface.

Cons

Company support is required to embed logos into invoices and signatures into emails. Support is very responsive, so this is not a significant issue. The system is just adding two-way synchronization between Zola and Outlook for calendar and contacts. The synchronization for emails works very well, so I expect the calendar and contact sync will work equally well.

SM

Susan M.

Great system!

Greater efficiency

Pros

I love that this is an all-in-one system. After having my billing all twisted up by trying to integrate a case management system with a billing system, I'm excited to have one place to go for everything. Also, the email integration makes tracking time and tasks seamless. The interface is beautiful and easy to use and I can see my entire practice in one snapshot.

Cons

There's a bit of a delay with the email and that's a little annoying. That's the reason fro the 4 stars instead of 5. I'll be moving quickly through my email and suddenly emails that I deleted pop back up again. Also, I'm eager for the live calendar integration and the bank feed.