OpenProject Logo

OpenProject

Open-source project management and collaboration software

OpenProject Reviews

4.3

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.55/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

I love the ease of use of OpenProject and better than MS Project. Tracking tasks is simple and efficient.
Open Project is very easy to navigate, with little-to-no training needed prior. It is easy to help organize project teams and help triage/direct issues found.
Resource management is a bit burdensome with OpenProject, No resource status notifications (we don't know if they are reserved or available).
Others in my organization find it frustrating for scheduling and viewing overall status, but we are finding ways to work around issues with other tools. We don't need another Jira.
Scheduling and resource management is a bit burdensome with OpenProject.

Jacob Ira A.

Events Services, 11-50 employees

Planning events made easy

Pros

It is free. While there are some paid features we might consider in the future, the core product does what we need it to do. As the head of the event, I need to keep an eye on all the moving parts and know who is doing what and what still needs to get done.

Cons

With a name open, I'd have hoped that it would be one of those where you pay for support or implementation. However, some features are locked behind a monthly/yearly fee. If it was a one-time fee for non-profits, I'd consider it.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on OpenProject. We appreciate your feedback and work on improving OpenProject every day. OpenProject wants to make a real difference. One of the ways we do it is by providing special rates for NGOs and educational institutions. Please get in touch with our sales team to discuss if your organization is eligible for a special fee (https://www.openproject.org/contact/ ).

Pirkko A.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

Easy-to-use, Visually-appealing interface ideal for microentrepreneurs

The amount of project management tools in OpenProject allows top management and business owners to utilize plenty of tools available to ensure all deliverables are done on time - with visually appealing graphics and ease of use, it allows even non tech savvy staff to properly access the system and see what they need to do.

Pros

Recently, I learned about how some people are visual learners so our company adopted Open Project as we saw its interface was visually appealing and simple to use. It helped the productivity of our HR and Housekeeping managers which was a great boost in removing the burdens on upper management.But aside from its visually appealing interface; having workflows and timelines were also a great help for the company to ensure all deliverables are done on time.

Cons

Our company was doing okay with web-based project management software, utilizing browsers to access our project management tools. Open Project however required installation, so it needed additional storage space on our computers.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on OpenProject. We appreciate your feedback and work on improving OpenProject every day. You can find all the latest features in our release notes (https://www.openproject.org/docs/release-notes/).

BS

Brycen Steele S.

Airlines/Aviation, 1-10 employees

good

good

Pros

Because this software is convenient and fast

Cons

Sometimes the software may lag a little,

LR

Lipakshi R.

Consumer Goods, 10,001+ employees

A smashing,formidable and first-class Project Management tool.

Pros

OpenProject is the most ideal solution that I use to run and manage all my daily tasks and projects effectively.With the use and help of this tool,I can complete my work on time and also hit projects milestones.I also use OpenProject to organize and manage project schedules.I also use this tool to collaborate effectively with my team on work schedules.This tool as also very useful as it ensures that I can easily track work progress quickly.

Cons

There are no limitations to highlight that I have encountered with OpenProject...indeed I'm living OpenProject dreams.

Samuel N.

Utilities, 10,001+ employees

Paradigmatic,exceptionally good and impeccable Project Management solution.

Task and project management process is now more efficient.Enables seamless team collaboration on task and project schedule in real-time hence making teams to achieve more results.

Pros

With OpenProject,I can easily plan,organize,create,assign and run daily task and project more proactively.OpenProject get work done faster that saving time.It's simple to track task and project progress.I can also get updates on status of projects and tasks with this tool.

Cons

OpenProject makes the process of running projects to be very smooth and effective hence there is nothing to highlight as demerit.

Rono K.

Financial Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

A Conscientious,Blue-blooded and Polchritudinous Project Planning and Management Software

It's a free version tool since all services in Openproject are free.

Pros

It's used in project tracking and management.It has a simple and customizable interface platforms.I like how it integrate with other third party tools.It's easy to deploy and use.

Cons

I haven't come across with any drawback while using the software I can highly recommend to other organisation to use it.

RN

Richard N.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

It is a good software for task management.

It handles task management so well and has a few flaws and I would recommend it

Pros

We use this software to manage task. it makes it very easy to create tasks, assign them to individuals, and create work packages within a project. There are many options available when creating a work package, which is very useful. And also, it is possible to assign custom states to these work packages.

Cons

The inability to expand and collapse tasks especially when has multiple children. This makes it hard for us to track thee tasks.

PK

Pamela K.

Aviation & Aerospace, 501-1,000 employees

An efficient tool for handling projects

Open project is a great tool for managing projects .

Pros

Using Open Project has improved my project management, leading to shorter development times, lower costs, and improved communication with clients. It has also allowed me to implement Agile and Scrum methodologies, which have helped me better manage the development team.

Cons

I believe that Open Project is suitable for small to medium-sized projects as it is only a desktop application version 1.4, it does not have collaborative work or cloud access features.

JW

John W.

Telecommunications, 10,001+ employees

OpenProject research

OpenProject is a user-friendly project management tool among open source tools, including the flexible management of basic project information, task packages, input and save friendly features. Also can input the task time, statistics and so on

Pros

The software is open source and fully documented, Enter and save

Cons

The cost is high and the scope of application is narrow

Ik

Indika k.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Very good project managment tool

It help lot to manage number of scrum team for a single project and we could be able to manage over 100 staff on this product.

Pros

i was able to use this product over 4 years on my previouse company. It was a very good selection for those who looking for a free agile based project management software

Cons

less flexibility and hard to configure/install is major issue i realized with this tool. It too so long to fix certian slowness issue of the application.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on OpenProject. We appreciate your feedback and work on improving OpenProject every day. You can find all the latest feature in our release notes (https://www.openproject.org/docs/release-notes/).

Stefano M.

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

A great alternative to MS Project for collaboration

It's perfect to assign tasks and keep track of their progress. Many other free tools can do this but OpenProject adds customizable workflows and detailed dependencies between tasks - and even a Gantt view. I use it for small and medium projects where live feedback from team members (progress, comments, etc.) is vital. Achieving the same result with MS Project Server would cost exorbitantly more.

Pros

I like the ease of use (I never had to explain how to use it to team members, only to project admins), the clean interface, the granularity of the configuration (most of all the possibility of activating only the needed modules for each project), the customization possibilities for categories/statuses/fact that workflows, the flexibility and ease of query design, the availability of a Gantt view I appreciated also very much that most of the essential features can be used for free without limitations (other tools like Asana limit the number of projects, tasks or team members). Setup was extremely easy (but I'm a skilled technician and tinkerer with over 10 years of sysadmin experience, so your mileage may vary).

Cons

It lacks some important features for project resources management like resource allocation (to spot overloads), resource leveling, resource calendars and resource availability percentage. It also feels a bit skewed towards sw development teams and Agile methodology, so creating a classic waterfall WBS is not as easy as it should be and requires mental discipline; among other things, it does not allow for an easy reordering of tasks after their creation. It does not allow for an easy nor complete import/export from/to MS Project (which IS arguably the industry standard). The reports are not customizable and can only include task list and details (not the Gantt view).

MF

Matthew F.

Wireless, 11-50 employees

Great Project Software for Teams

I thoroughly enjoy OpenProject and hope it continues to grow. Others in my organization find it frustrating for scheduling and viewing overall status, but we are finding ways to work around issues with other tools. We don't need another Jira! OP is my MS Project alternative, and adds the benefit of integrating teams into project tracking. Keep up the good work!

Pros

OpenProject is a pleasure to use for projects from proposal/concept to closing. Creating a WBS and timeline with generic resources is a great way to generate documentation needed for proposals. Copying that proposal project to an active project is then a great way to jumpstart project planning with team awareness of timelines and requirements. Teams can interact with the project plan, adding their...

Cons

Scheduling and resource management is a bit burdensome with OpenProject. There is so much value in scheduling with blocked-out weekends, holidays, and resource calendars. Resource loading reports have to be manually created in other tools (spreadsheets) to show whether resources are available or overbooked. The planned project overview page and executive/portfolio views can't come soon enough. ...

Thank you very much for your feedback. The good news is that we are working on a completely new resource management and scheduling module for OpenProject. If you are interested in sharing your expectations, just get in touch with us on support@openproject.com.

AC

Alessio C.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

OpenProject is a valid and complete Management Software

Pros

Easy to organize tasks among the members of the team, overview of the working hours. The complete and at the same time simple customization of the information available in boards and gants. A product, on my opinion total complete vs more other similar products on the market. The price is also affordable and is a plus for this product. What makes it perfect for us is the possibility to have it installed on personal servers. The free version cover the 80% of the entire functionality.

Cons

On Task Activity view it would help to have an preview of the images uploaded. The product could be improved by adding more functionalities to the web document creation tool.

Many thanks for the great review, glad you enjoy working with OpenProject. Also glad to hear about what we can improve. I included your feature request for the activity module to our OpenProject project: https://community.openproject.org/projects/openproject/work_packages/36975/activity We would be happy to hear from you regarding more details on the improvements for the web document creation tool so that we can see what we can do. Please feel free to reach out to us via email (support@openproject.com). Kind regards, your OpenProject team

Furniture, 501-1,000 employees

Open project - customise it all.

Open project has the flexibility for you to customise your projects to work just how you need them to work. If you take the time to set it up, it will fulfill your needs.

Pros

- Customisable - Project, subprojects, sub sub projects - Tasks, subtasks, - many customisable work package types - Cost that feels right - Not loaded with extra features that you are paying for buy never use.

Cons

- needs basic refinement - can be buggy - steep learning curve

JS

Jander S.

Education Management, 5,001-10,000 employees

Great Tool

It has helped me a lot in project management. Task management and monitoring. I would like a brief overview of the project portfolio.

Pros

Open source software, API, web based. Constant feature and security updates. Agile tools; Gantt chart.

Cons

The integration of agile module with gantt chart does not work correctly. There is currently a need for manual updates to the Agile module and Gantt. It would be great if the Gantt chart showed the progress of Versions, User Stories, and Tasks automatically. Currently I have to create a Gantt Phase and link to the Version of the same name.

Thanks you very much for your feedback. The integration of the Agile module with the Gantt chart is a known challenge which we will evaluate and improve. For now, the new Boards module gives a first improvement so that all work packages are at first displayed in the Gantt chart.

AG

Akshat G.

Medical Devices, 51-200 employees

Good, solid tool to initiate project & task management in SMEs

Day-to-day project and task management, creation and maintenance of broader and long-term roadmaps.

Pros

Transparency, easy-to-set and manage work item types, roles and responsibilities, the possibility to branch and link projects.

Cons

Certain discrepancies regarding recording and maintaining efforts needed for individual tasks. Gantt Charts not possible to be exported for reporting purposes (yet).

IM

Ibrahima M.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Excellent tool: if you use the paid edition

My overall experience is very very good

Pros

OpenProject is an excellent tool for project tracking and management. My project team uses this tool to manage the agile software development process. It offers more advanced functionality if you select the professional version.

Cons

The free version lacks key features so you have to upgrade to the paid version to get more benefits.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on OpenProject. We appreciate your feedback and work on improving OpenProject every day. With every major release we enable more features for the free community edition. The most recent release 12.4 made 2-Factor Authentication available. You can find all the latest features in our release notes (https://www.openproject.org/docs/release-notes/).

Muhammad Ashhar H.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Better than trello

Just for task management purposes it's good, but if you want other functionalities there are other better options.

Pros

Following are its top features: - Gantt chart - Task dependency creation - Easy task assignment - Costing

Cons

- Collaboration could be improved like trello in big teams it can cause problems - No kanban view - Task searching, it's detail and it's activity is better in trello.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on OpenProject. We appreciate your feedback and work on improving OpenProject every day. We have greatly improved the search function, you can read more about it here https://www.openproject.org/docs/user-guide/search/. You can find all the latest features in our release notes (https://www.openproject.org/docs/release-notes/).

Augustin M.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

OpenProject - One of the best online project management software

Pros

I started using this open source project management software when we switched our team to an Agile software development process and it has really helped us manage our projects and fix problems. The wide range of features and user-friendly interface makes it one of the best online project management tools available.

Cons

Open source, but not really. The free version is missing key functionalities like resource allocation or leveling.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on OpenProject. We appreciate your feedback and work on improving OpenProject every day. With every major responce we add more features to the free community edition. For instance, the 12.4 release made 2-factor authentication available to every OpenProject user. You can find all the latest features in our release notes (https://www.openproject.org/docs/release-notes/).

Ely O.

Government Administration, 51-200 employees

Free but great for project management

I used this platform to manage a project from the office on restoration of public art monuments, involved a lot of staff located in different parts, we had very little time, we managed to complete the project coordinating all activities and tasks with this platform, so it was much easier for me to receive reports from managers and area coordinators, I could detect where there were delays and who were the most efficient in fulfilling their tasks, it is amazing the information you can get from a platform like this

Pros

One of its most emblematic features, is a free platform and open source, you can use it from any operating system, gives you the tools to have control and make the necessary follow-up until the end of the project.

Cons

It should take more advantage of its open-source feature and incorporate more tools and functions.

GK

Gerald K.

Computer & Network Security, 1-10 employees

OpenProject -useful if you use the professional edition

We are doing all the PM with it ;-).

Pros

If you select the professional version, you get kanban boards, collaboration and planning features which might replace Exchange server funkctionalities as long as you do classic PM tasks. I also liked the integrated workflows. The community edition might serve you well when you have only a small team.

Cons

Different labour costs per user would be fine - i guess now you can only assign one hourly rate. I also would like to see a possibility to set the hours to "billed" or "exported" somehow.

Hi Gerald, thanks for your review. You can set different hourly rates per user in the -> Administration -> Users and permissions -> select a user -> Rate history. Thanks for the feedback to give the hours a status (e.g. billed). We will consider this for future feature development. Thank you!

WO

William O.

Publishing, self-employed

Open Project instead of MS Project

I was using Open Project before MS Project was truly ready for prime time. I have loved it ever since. I even use it to plan and track projects at home.

Pros

It is easier to use than MS Project, probably because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of MSP. I prefer its simplicity and yet professionalism.

Cons

Open Project doesn't have the following that MS Project has. So, I use it to produce what I need to manage my projects and sometimes have to use MS PowerPoint to communicate with others.

AD

Akash D.

Consumer Goods, 5,001-10,000 employees

An apothic,whip-smart,hero and brilliant Project Management software.

Pros

I use OpenProject to plan and organize project schedules easily.Again,I like how I can manage task and project efficiently.Tracking task and project progress is simple with OpenProject.Finally,With OpenProject,to collaborate with my team on work schedules is more effective and seamless.

Cons

OpenProject have taken project management process to a higher level and everything seems a breeze thus I have zero demerit to pinpoint.

Jared W.

Government Administration, 11-50 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Solid Tool for Project Management

Overall this is a go-to program for my occasional project management needs. Very happy with the program in general.

Pros

The biggest draw for me was the price tag - free. I don't know who spent the time to design this program, but it has been an excellent resource for me during the few projects a year when I need a true project management tool. It has a wide variety of features available, and after a few minutes of trial and error, it was easy to pick up the basics. The GANTT chart feature is especially useful and is the component that I use the most.

Cons

Finding some features of the program can be tricky and aren't as user friendly as they could be. Export options seem a little limited.

CR

Carlos R.

Computer Games, self-employed

Very robust tool to manage projects of all types

Lightweight tool widely used in the market for project management.

Pros

It is open source. It has a free version to be installed on its own server. It has paid version with hosting and support. It has functionality for all stages of completing a project. Visual of the graphical interface is easy and intuitive.

Cons

technical knowledge is required to install. If you use it as a team (online) you will need to pay for a server where it will be installed.