Square Payments Logo

Square Payments

Online payment processing for merchants & vendors

Square Payments Reviews

4.7

2.3K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.89/10

Reviews by rating

I love the simplicity of the software. I love being able to accept credit card or debit card payments directly on my phone with the small noninvasive card reader that i attach to my phone.
I love this software, our employees love it too because it gives them better tips at the end of the day.
Simple reporting is my favorite feature, especially compared to other platforms. Helping my clients with meaningful reporting without having to modify the data is super convenient.
I do not think I have have anything I do not like about square payments. I guess if you put in the wrong email that can be annoying but that more user error.
I had to walk around & often ended up some distance away from the customer. It was awkward because I had to have their card with me & this probably made the customer feel uneasy.
It also bothered me that they charge more to type in the card numbers when you’re unable to swipe the card in person.

2,300 reviews

Nick C.

Clinical Director

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Fills a void

Transcript

Nick C.: I'm Nick. I'm the Clinical Director in a mental health counseling services company. And I use...

HE

Harlan E.

Practice Administrator

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Collecting Money Made Easy

Transcript

Harlan: Hi, my name is Harlan. I'm a Practice Administrator for a retinal surgeon, and I give Square...

Jarvis J.

Consumer Services, self-employed

The Perfect Payment Processing Option for Small Business

My overall experience is A++ since I am able to accept and process payment at a fraction of the cost and without costing me more time and effort.

Pros

Using this software for a couple of years now I really like the ease of use and how it's transferable between all my devices. I am able to access reports, process payments, and more from the mobile dashboard or my PC. It doesn't require that I have or use any additional products or equipment for function. They have very friendly and knowledgable customer service and support. I love that you are able to integrate Square into other systems for a more robust system.

Cons

I wasn't able to really pin point anything that I didn't like or enjoy regarding the software.

AS

Angelina S.

Arts and Crafts, 1-10 employees

Love my Swuate

My overall experience with Square payment has been wonderful. I can either do it on my phone or use the plug in Square which I’ve had since the beginning of me opening and starting Angelina’s arts and crafts.

Pros

I can put a Square card into my Apple Pay wallet transfer money from Square to my checking account if need be or to one of my employees checking account to pay them p

Cons

Call a square is I still have not received my equipment I ordered two months ago three maybe four months ago paid for it online with my PayPal card and I checked on it and they said it was sent out

Bessy V.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

Square: The Good and Bad

They were my first choice in the beginning, but after the 2 disputes and how bad they handled them, I went back to PayPal. I still keep them for some of my less conventional clients (the ones who don't want to/ or can't follow a link, but rather just give me their info over the phone).

Pros

It's easy to use. Your favorite device becomes your POS which is convenient especially for those of us who do work on the road. You can get instant deposit with an extra fee which is nice.

Cons

I don't like their customer service. You have to pay extra to be able to call their customer service number and even if you do (because I did the trial for premium service), they don't really resolve anything. I also don't like their dispute process. You get very limited time to submit your documentation proving the transaction was valid. Some paperwork takes a while to get from clients. AND...they...

Consumer Services, self-employed

Square Review

Pros

Square's interface was very easy to use and beginner friendly. Creating a menu and processing payments was really easy.

Cons

I would've liked for the integrations to be connected better. I used this with acuity and a deposit was taken but there was no way to use the POS processor in that capacity.

RD

Robyn D.

Arts and Crafts, 11-50 employees

Square Reader made everything easier and better!

Pros

I've had to call customer service before and they were very friendly and very helpful. They were trained well and understood the entire program really well! Square makes call in orders, and online orders simple too, and it saves time for both you and your customer. It's also really easy to figure out how it all works. It's one of the most user friendly programs I've ever used

Cons

Only complaint I could have, and it wasn't even really a complaint.. when you very first get it and have to input all your existing customer info, and them programming in your menu and prices felt like it took forever. It took a minute in between each new entry to save it and move on, so it took me 2 days to complete the task. It's nice now tho because entering the entire menu in, allows my receipts to be detailed and very organized and professional in appearance.

QT

Qiana T.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Dependable, secure, and easy to use

I’ve used square since I started my business over 12 years ago and it has been completely seamless I. How it’s evolved over the years and Good Morning they Ed added features that make sense and make my life easier.

Pros

I love how intuitive the backend office is to navigate

Cons

I least like that when using square through third party apps like Acuity, my clients don’t have the ability to add tips to their payment. I have to open the app separately and bill their card on file that way for them to add tips.

BK

Brenda K.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Reliable solution that is cost effective

I have used Square for 10 years. I have listened to other companies pitches, but stuck with Square, because there is not contract. They are honest as well. Never do they pitch you anything they do not offer. I cannot say that for other payment providers.

Pros

Square is fantastic when you need to swipe a credit card and allows one to avoid the large fees that others require. No contract and buy equipment as you need it.

Cons

The only con is getting a hold of a representative. Note, the solution is so simple that you really don't need help.

Benjamin B.

Real Estate, self-employed

Square is Great Tool

Overall square has been great. I chose it for credit card processing and after the fact learned it has many other capabilities that make my job easier. Square offers an online checking account and savings accounts. This was huge as the online account enabled me to accept checks and have mobile check deposit within same app. Also square has a contract platform with e-signature which unused extensively for about a year. I moved away from the contract function when I upgraded my home inspection software to a package that included the contract agreement, but square saved me from using a 2nd platform in the beginning.Overall I’ve been very happy with square and would highly recommend them for a small business.

Pros

The biggest seller for me choosing square was mobile payment processing and familiarity with the product as a consumer. Additionally I didn’t want a monthly payment as I don’t process a high number of payments monthly.

Cons

Squares fees per payment are a bit higher than I would like, but I now pass those fees on through the platform so it’s not as much of a concern.

Entertainment, self-employed

Excellent payment platform

I never really had any problem with Square, in the end it's kind of set-and-forget thing.

Pros

The user interface is extremely user friendly. Once you set up the account you'll be ready to use it in a matter of seconds. Besides, the integration with just almost anything is really easy. I also like the transparency in the communication, there are no hidden fees/condition, the pricing is clearly stated.

Cons

I feel that the fees are not the lowest on the market, but that's not too big of a deal for smaller transations. I miss some feature to customise more and better the whole dashboard.

LS

Leslie S.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Review of Square Payments

Pros

I like how that I can integrate Square in with my sites that are already online. It is an elementary process and works quite well.

Cons

I hate the two-factor authorization, I am having a hard time getting back into my account after changing my phone number. It is a pain the in the tale, and I have reached out several times and nothing has still been done about it.

HP

Hank P.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Used monthly for 2+ years

Square - great for small businesses, and not just retail!

Overall, I love Square. The ability to receive payment from practically anywhere at any time is HUGE for a small business owner. My ability to set up my clients in the address book and add their card on file saves a ton of time. I also like that only the last 4 of their credit card shows up. I do not want the burden of having all that info on file.

Pros

Square is a great solution to a small business who wants to ensure they can be paid easily, regularly and without burdening their clients. I use it to receive monthly payment for my services for about 30 of my clients and it makes my life and my clients lives easier. Yes, you pay a processing fee, but it is competitive and well worth that small fee to ensure that I get paid. Plus, it only takes me a few minutes to receive payment from all those clients.

Cons

There are some elements of Square that are not as intuitive as they could be. Setting up a clients card on file can be tricky at times, especially if you use the web browser vs. the app. In general, use the app for EVERYTHING you do and you'll be fine. The other issue I have sometimes is the checkout process. That times a bit of time to get used to and can feel clunky. This should be easier and I...

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

I Recommend Square to Everyone

First of all, I feel like Square listens to its customers and really wants to understand what features they need and how they need their software to work. They have forums and support and use the information acquired from this to improve their product features regularly.

Pros

Square is a really amazing credit card processing, payment gateway, invoicing, booking, and product inventory management option for small to medium size businesses. The value of everything they provide for your to help run your business, beyond just credit card processing, is unmatched. While you are getting a very competitive processing rate, they offer you all of these other tools to run your business mostly for free. They also integrate with 3rd party applications in case they are missing a feature you need. The booking capability alone is worth the credit card processing fees you're paying.

Cons

There are a few limitations to some of the applications they offer but it's hard to complain because they are free AND they are constantly listening to their customers to make improvements on those applications. They do charge more if you want to keep your customers credit card on file for automatic payment or recurring billing which in my opinion is counter intuitive and unfair to the businesses using them because technically it means more easily processed payments they are making money on and it's not costing them any extra to process a card already on file. You are basically paying extra for the convenience.

CR

Christina R.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Great for small business owners

Overall, my experience has been pretty good. It is a bit pricey but you do get a lot of features, even with the free version. I think Square is the best option for a small business who doesn't have a lot of negotiation power with other merchants.

Pros

Square payments is very easy to use and includes all compliance so you don't have to worry about doing PCI verifications. The ability to invoice clients is great and I love that it will automatically send reminders which saves me time. It integrates wonderfully with my patient charting/scheduling system so that I don't have to switch to the actual square dashboard and can do everything in one program.

Cons

I really disliked using the contactless card reader. It never had a stable connection to my phone and I was always having to manually enter credit card information (which Square charges more for). I have since purchased a terminal which I love but the hardware was quite pricey.

LS

Lakita S.

Food & Beverages, 1-10 employees

Couldn't imagine using any other processor

We currently use square payments processing for 3 different locations and have always been able to get the assistance we needed. Recently, our developer was able to work with square to obtain access to their API for our new site. Square was helpful in giving us access for our site that allows pick up and delivery.

Pros

Ease of use, quick payment turn around, helpful support and integration with other software are just a few of the pros.

Cons

There was a recent rate increase that initially concerned me but I was able to find a satisfactory rate by working with my Square Account Manager.

EM

Ericka M.

Veterinary, 1-10 employees

They Hold Your Payments To Control You!

I am very unhappy. I felt violated and robbed by Square. My clients were upset and felt the same by my company not getting paid when they paid us for services.

Pros

Easy in person credit card payments from customers.

Cons

That you get no access to your payments when paid. Square keeps the payment paid to you for services by the customer at their decision.

TR

Trina R.

Fine Art, self-employed

Used monthly for 6-12 months

So insanely easy, everyone should be using it

I enjoy it. I have written a few reviews for Square because I really want them to know that I enjoy their set up and I hope to see more of the same in the future. The small changes they have implemented over the years have been welcome adjustments as opposed to jarring overhauls of the entire system or their policies. I appreciate the simplicity of the applications and how much they've changed my professional life for the positive.

Pros

I have always sweated POS routines in the past, with complicated credit card machines and the dependency of having access to wifi. Square payments has allowed me to take cards on the go, when I'm out at a craft fair or farmers market. This has been a key game changer in my business which now allows me to increase my ability to take payments. I used to have to pay to have a wifi hotspot on a tablet so that I could charge for pay pal while at festivals. Yeesh. There are other ways to take payments and send invoices, but Square payments are very clean and to the point.

Cons

Sometimes my bluetooth POS hardware would lose connection from my phone, and it would take a few moments to reconnect. I don't know if that was the gadget's fault or my phones. But, it did quickly reconnect with just a little bit of fiddling- even with my customer standing there waiting. Still easier and quicker than any other app on the market right now.

JW

Jay W.

Photography, 1-10 employees

Taking payment is a breeze with Square, and the integrations are great!

Super easy to use, easy to process refunds and easy to see how you are doing (volume of business and sales averages) all due to some great reporting tools. We moved away simply because we thought we needed to find a real "business" processor -- turns out, Square is a legit business processor which zero mystery fees which makes it easier for us to predict revenue flow. Can be quite frustrating paying a high fee on the majority of your transactions, because the processor smacks you with the "reward card" designation on most transactions. Not an issue with Square, you see the rate and that is the rate you pay, no questions asked.

Pros

We have used many different payment solutions over the years. Most recently we have been using Authorize.net, and while they processed payments just fine, the system is super old and can be frustrating to use. Square is not so, rather they are super easy to use and grow with. Not having to jump through hoops each year to be recertified as PCI compliant (questionnaires and network scans on our end) is really a great bonus we never even knew about before temporarily moving away. We have obviously since moved back and cannot be happier.

Cons

For our photography studio, the biggest drawback was just the taking of the payments, it really didn't feel as professional as it could be when we had to use our phones for large client orders. That has since become an issue in the past as they have so many options now, including the new Square Terminal which we bought and love to death! So really, the biggest flaw we had, has been resolved.

AK

Anne K.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Good things DO come in small packages

Overall, I am absolutely pleased with my decision to go with Square payments and devices. It has proven to be a powerful little tool, and has exceeded my expectations for my business and administration needs.

Pros

I was prepared, with rolled up sleeves, to set up my Square devices and software, expecting snags and integration challenges. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to set up and how quickly I had it up and running. The hardware is small and does not take up much space, the software is easy to manage and customize, and the reporting is always current, which is a big bonus for me. My patients...

Cons

My only stumbling block to date has been with the online gift cards. There doesn't seem to be a way to see when someone has purchased one. You only know of the purchase when you redeem it. I would like to know what is out there.

JH

Jon H.

Management Consulting, 10,001+ employees

Square Payments: Simplify Transactions and Grow Your Business

Pros

Square Payments offers a convenient and user-friendly payment processing solution that simplifies transactions for businesses of all sizes. The platform's intuitive interface and straightforward setup process make it easy to start accepting payments quickly. With its robust range of payment options, including in-person, online, and mobile payments, Square Payments accommodates various business models and customer preferences. The transparent and competitive pricing structure, coupled with quick deposits and access to funds, provides businesses with a reliable and efficient payment processing solution.

Cons

One potential drawback of Square Payments is the occasional need for additional hardware or accessories to fully utilize its capabilities. For certain features, such as contactless and chip card payments, businesses may need to purchase compatible card readers or terminals. While Square offers affordable hardware options, this additional cost may be a consideration for some businesses, especially those with limited budgets. Additionally, some users have reported occasional glitches or technical issues with the Square Payments app or card readers, which can cause minor disruptions during transactions.

Scott L.

Entertainment, self-employed

Square is the independent contractors gold standard for payment processing

Square is great. My customers have the option to pay with a credit card, and even understand that I will upcharge them the transaction fee. With some computer skills, you can make an online store work from your own site, or using one of their templates if you don't care how it looks. Bottom line is that Square gets the job done that needs to be done.

Pros

Setting up Square to accept payments through a device like an Ipad, phone, or laptop, through either swiping or manually entering information, is as easy as it gets. Highest marks for virtual terminal and checkout links, as well as snapshots of important information such as how much is the average a visitor spends, and how much is taken in for a given day. Best of all, payments to your account are very quick, with a fantastic option for instant transfer.

Cons

Hands down, the awful thing about Square, and the thing that could use the most improvement is the Online Store. It looks awful, isn't easy to customize, and takes a bit of knowhow to even get your product or event listed. I've used this for years and keep waiting for Square to make this something that has as much quality as the rest of their service. It doesn't look like they are interested. Also, merchant services through banks charge fees that the average small business owner can't justify.

Danielle T.

Broadcast Media, 1-10 employees

Love...love...love Square Processing

Selling products electronically is so simple with Square. Whether you're swiping from your telephone, iPad, or transactions being completed from your website, sales are streamlined.

Pros

I love that if you're "out on the field" at tradeshows, farmers' markets, etc you can still complete orders that count toward your overall revenue. The analytics piece is awesome.

Cons

There had been some restrictions with some industries that made no sense. One of the brands was denied. It was nothing illegal. The processing fee could be lower.

WC

Ware C.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Money Management made easy

This software is exceptional for law office management.

Pros

I was a partner in an establish defense firm when I went on my own and began to concentrate on plaintiffs employment law. In a big firm, cash management was done for me, but when you are on your own, that’s no going to happen. So I started taking credit and debit cards. The problem was that it was costly in time and expense. The rented machines were clumsy and credits had to be reconciled to the bank....

Cons

The original hardware was free. Now for a chip reader, expect to pay less than $50. I have two. One for the office and the other I keep in my car.

NK

Nikki K.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Square was a game changer.

Square has removed all headaches from payment processing in our dental practice.

Pros

We previously used a merchant services company that integrated with our dental software. We were unhappy with the constant changes and upgrades needed to maintain functionality. Accessing reports was difficult and time consuming. Our fees were excessive so it was time for a change. Implementing Square was much easier than I anticipated. I was able to negotiate our fees based on the way payments were received in our office. I appreciate that the terminal is mobile so it can be shared between the reception area and the Manager's office. Reports are accessible on the terminal, but using the online dashboard is simple and streamlined as well.

Cons

Figuring out where to order paper/supplies was slightly difficult. It can be hard to figure out how to speak to live support.

CA

Carman A.

Logistics and Supply Chain, 10,001+ employees

The Easiest and Most Inclusive Mobile Payment Processor

Overall, Square Payments is my favorite electronic mobile payment processor that I have used so far. I have tried a few others that were either really expensive or just didn't have the features that I wanted.

Pros

I love that almost every feature available is on the app and that I don't have to worry about dragging around a laptop with me. I can manage my inventory and service options on the app, including adding product pictures and SKU numbers, if needed. I can send customers' invoices that have already been customized like it's nothing. While the price isn't the absolute cheapest processing on the market, it's definitely close to the cheapest, which is always nice, especially when you already have pretty small profit margins.

Cons

There are some features that are offered that I wish did not cost extra money on a monthly basis. I think a payment plan that would make more sense would be that depending on how much business you do per month would "unlock" certain free features or something like that. That would allow for more versatility depending on your business size, instead of having to worry about an extra bill every month.

PS

Palla S.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

A Comprehensive Look at the Payment Processing Platform

Square Payments provides support and resources for businesses, including documentation, training materials, and customer support, which can be helpful for those who have questions or issues. Square Payments integrates with a range of tools and platforms, including point-of-sale systems, ecommerce platforms, and accounting software, which can help businesses streamline their workflows.

Pros

Easy setup: Square Payments is easy to set up and start using, with no long-term contracts or setup fees.Multiple payment options: Square Payments supports a variety of payment options, including in-person payments through a card reader or terminal, online payments through a website or mobile app, and over-the-phone payments.Customization options: Square Payments allows businesses to customize their payment experience, including the ability to create custom invoices, set up recurring payments, and offer discounts or promotions.Integration options: Support and resources:

Cons

Fees: Square Payments charges fees for its payment processing services, which may not be suitable for all businesses.Limited international support: Square Payments is primarily available in the United States, Canada, Japan, and the United Kingdom, and may not be suitable for businesses in other countries. It also may not support all currencies or payment methods, which could be an issue for businesses that need to accept payments from international customers.