Square Payments

Online payment processing for merchants & vendors

Square Payments Reviews

Pros

Great - love their customer service, they quickly send out new square devices and have always felt the transactions are safe and protected.

Chelsea C.

I love this software, our employees love it too because it gives them better tips at the end of the day.

Fletcher C.

Simple reporting is my favorite feature, especially compared to other platforms. Helping my clients with meaningful reporting without having to modify the data is super convenient.

Matthew N.

Cons

I do not think I have have anything I do not like about square payments. I guess if you put in the wrong email that can be annoying but that more user error.

Brianna R.

I had to walk around & often ended up some distance away from the customer. It was awkward because I had to have their card with me & this probably made the customer feel uneasy.

Rebecca L.

It also bothered me that they charge more to type in the card numbers when you’re unable to swipe the card in person.

Lela S.

1,130

1,470 reviews

Fills a void

Transcript

Nick C.: I'm Nick. I'm the Clinical Director in a mental health counseling services company. And I use...

Collecting Money Made Easy

Transcript

Harlan: Hi, my name is Harlan. I'm a Practice Administrator for a retinal surgeon, and I give Square...

Square Payments

My overall experience with Square is very positive and I will continue using it for years to come.

Pros

I can accept all kind of payments. When i started my business I realized most if my customers didn't carry cash. I can take any debit or credit card and if it doesn't swipe with the free reader Square gave me I also have the option of typing it in. My customers no longer have to run to the bank to get cash. With the pandemic going on it also helps that I can take contactless payments to make my customers feel safe. Everyone should know about this and share with other business owners, friends, or familt. I give this software my highest recommendation.

Cons

There are so many pros and I cant think of but one con. It cost every time you swipe a card and a little more if you have to manually type it in. It works out best to pay when you use it if you dont use it that often but if you use it several times there should be a flat rate fee by the month or an option to choose which plan you would like.

High processing rates, worth every penny!

I absolutely love that Square offers so many features for small businesses and that they all integrate. If I could give myself advice when I first opened my business, it would be "Don't get a bunch of different programs and lie to yourself that you'll just be more diligent keeping records. Just open the business with Square for everything so it's all integrated in one place."

Pros

It's soooo easy to use! The interface is very easy for our clients to use. It's taking us less time to ring clients out, and clients are leaving much higher tips than when we used other processors. I absolutely love how Square offers all the services a small business could ask for: credit card processing, invoicing, accepting payments offsite, POS systems, appointment booking, ecommerce, the list goes on. I tried lots of other services before switching to Square for everything, and I wish I had just saved myself the time and started using Square for everything and integrating systems right when my business first opened.

Cons

My only hang up with Square is their high processing rates. I'm aware that they can offer better rates if a business does greater than $250k annually in sales, but that's only if the payments have all been through Square. So it's a little annoying that we're easily surpassing that and proving that with previous years' reports is not sufficient.

Square: The Good and Bad

They were my first choice in the beginning, but after the 2 disputes and how bad they handled them, I went back to PayPal. I still keep them for some of my less conventional clients (the ones who don't want to/ or can't follow a link, but rather just give me their info over the phone).

Pros

It's easy to use. Your favorite device becomes your POS which is convenient especially for those of us who do work on the road. You can get instant deposit with an extra fee which is nice.

Cons

I don't like their customer service. You have to pay extra to be able to call their customer service number and even if you do (because I did the trial for premium service), they don't really resolve anything. I also don't like their dispute process. You get very limited time to submit your documentation proving the transaction was valid. Some paperwork takes a while to get from clients. AND...they...

I Recommend Square to Everyone

First of all, I feel like Square listens to its customers and really wants to understand what features they need and how they need their software to work. They have forums and support and use the information acquired from this to improve their product features regularly.

Pros

Square is a really amazing credit card processing, payment gateway, invoicing, booking, and product inventory management option for small to medium size businesses. The value of everything they provide for your to help run your business, beyond just credit card processing, is unmatched. While you are getting a very competitive processing rate, they offer you all of these other tools to run your business mostly for free. They also integrate with 3rd party applications in case they are missing a feature you need. The booking capability alone is worth the credit card processing fees you're paying.

Cons

There are a few limitations to some of the applications they offer but it's hard to complain because they are free AND they are constantly listening to their customers to make improvements on those applications. They do charge more if you want to keep your customers credit card on file for automatic payment or recurring billing which in my opinion is counter intuitive and unfair to the businesses using them because technically it means more easily processed payments they are making money on and it's not costing them any extra to process a card already on file. You are basically paying extra for the convenience.

Square Payments Has Huge Productivty Advantage

Think fees for things for each transactions and reinstate payments over time option

Pros

Love how easy it was to set up and begin to use to collect customer monwy for Services and Products.

Cons

Do not like swipe Rates vs key in Rates per transaction. Do not like cost of accessories, do not like small print on Smartphone Display

So insanely easy, everyone should be using it

I enjoy it. I have written a few reviews for Square because I really want them to know that I enjoy their set up and I hope to see more of the same in the future. The small changes they have implemented over the years have been welcome adjustments as opposed to jarring overhauls of the entire system or their policies. I appreciate the simplicity of the applications and how much they've changed my professional life for the positive.

Pros

I have always sweated POS routines in the past, with complicated credit card machines and the dependency of having access to wifi. Square payments has allowed me to take cards on the go, when I'm out at a craft fair or farmers market. This has been a key game changer in my business which now allows me to increase my ability to take payments. I used to have to pay to have a wifi hotspot on a tablet so that I could charge for pay pal while at festivals. Yeesh. There are other ways to take payments and send invoices, but Square payments are very clean and to the point.

Cons

Sometimes my bluetooth POS hardware would lose connection from my phone, and it would take a few moments to reconnect. I don't know if that was the gadget's fault or my phones. But, it did quickly reconnect with just a little bit of fiddling- even with my customer standing there waiting. Still easier and quicker than any other app on the market right now.

Square is the best!

I'm asked all the time, "How do you take payments?" and "How should I pay you?". When I take my square attachment out or respond with, "I use Square!" my clients love it. It's so easy for them to add their information to the portal and trust the overall transaction.

Pros

Square is the best payment software for small businesses. It's user-friendly, customizable, and you can send contracts to clients along with invoices and estimates. You can also take payments in person as well as multiple reminders. It's such an easy way to keep track of your earnings.

Cons

Although extremely competitive, I wish Square charged less per transaction. Who wouldn't?! But, it's a good price to pay for a streamlined process for your business and clients.

Hands down - great experience

I send invoices + reminders. I use card reader for in person music lessons and switched to online options with ecwid / wordpress site. Just allowed me to give customers options and convenience. They were happy and I looked professional.

Pros

I've always admired square for how clean and well designed everything their products are. They gets the job done and are a lot more user friendly than others were.

Cons

I haven't noticed anything. Have not honestly needed to contact support. I never used the banking ach option for my customers cause it seemed more complicated for them.

The best of the bunch for small business owners and artisans.

My experience has been A+ with Square and I'm especially happy that I don't need to use their competition, which has a very bad reputation among small business vendors.

Pros

In 2021, we have many options for collecting money at POS. Square is not only the simplest to implement, it provides the most powerful tools for making a quick, secure sale. The best feature is the ability to make product/pricing changes on the fly at a sales event.

Cons

I understand that technology changes all the time, but I wasn't happy that my iPad Square POS device would not fit newer iPads. It was bound to happen, but a more tolerant design choice might have kept my POS device from becoming a paperweight when our iPad was lost.

Great for solo practices

Great for smaller/solo practices, reliable transactions, could have better e-commerce user experience

Pros

- Software and product were easy to set up and integrate in practice - Transactions processed easily, reliable service - Potential to compete with more advanced (in terms of e-commerce) competitors like Shopify

Cons

- Transaction processing rate is steeper than competitors - Could improve on e-commerce user experience (as like Shopify)

SQUARE SAVED OUR BUSINESS

Overall, Square is easy to use, to train new employees with, and the integrations are really smooth. The Square ecosystem is awesome, and we really love it!

Pros

Square POS has SAVED us during the Covid-19 Pandemic. We setup our online/curbside settings before they were updated, and have been using Square for 5 years prior. Multiple locations, online ordering, direct printing to our iPad Kitchen printers - it all works like you want it to work. We also like the loyalty program options and email campaigns. It's an all around great program for our coffee shop business.

Cons

All the online/curbside updates have been great, but there are still missing features that have kept us from adopting a lot of them. We are still operating the online in a way that is more of a hack than an intention. For example, we wanted to offer delivery of baked goods but have them 48 hours delivery time - their delivery options are more setup for made to order items that get delivered in 5 minutes to 1 hour. We also really want to see an inventory system on the POS grid - like a little number next to each item showing the inventory.

Square is a great option for businesses with mid to lower volume credit card payments

Square allows us to process credit card payments without having to pay a monthly fee, and the amount we pay is a fixed percentage of credit card receipts. They are a pleasure to use.

Pros

Square sets up quickly, is easy to configure and add items and service to, and produces excellent receipts for the customer. It also integrates into Quick Books for easy importing of transactions.

Cons

Occasionally, the card reader has problems connecting to the iPhone we use as a terminal. Even more occasionally, the phone has problems reading from the credit card swipe reader. I'm honestly not sure if this is a Square problem or an iPhone problem. It's not frequent enough to complain about overall.

The best in the town ( market )

Very easy and have access to lots of account futures and perks. We have dedicated Android device that work perfect. Very happy with Square POS.

Pros

We are using this software probably 4 years now, without any any problem. During the time we use different devices and works 100%, without any glitch. Square support was helping us few times to make the tings right and we are very happy in their professionalism and security of all the system. Ohh, yea on this days the security is very important in any business when you work with Credit Cards and money. They are on the top of the game. We try few times other merchants to reduce the fees, but get back to Square for the great service and support.

Cons

Not real any, If the swap fees would be little lower than 2.75% probably will be great. But hay! prefer service and security first. Very important for our clients and us.

Square - great for small businesses, and not just retail!

Overall, I love Square. The ability to receive payment from practically anywhere at any time is HUGE for a small business owner. My ability to set up my clients in the address book and add their card on file saves a ton of time. I also like that only the last 4 of their credit card shows up. I do not want the burden of having all that info on file.

Pros

Square is a great solution to a small business who wants to ensure they can be paid easily, regularly and without burdening their clients. I use it to receive monthly payment for my services for about 30 of my clients and it makes my life and my clients lives easier. Yes, you pay a processing fee, but it is competitive and well worth that small fee to ensure that I get paid. Plus, it only takes me a few minutes to receive payment from all those clients.

Cons

There are some elements of Square that are not as intuitive as they could be. Setting up a clients card on file can be tricky at times, especially if you use the web browser vs. the app. In general, use the app for EVERYTHING you do and you'll be fine. The other issue I have sometimes is the checkout process. That times a bit of time to get used to and can feel clunky. This should be easier and I...

Easy on the go Processor

I really liked Square. It was very easy to use and made things more efficient. Anything I needed to look up took less than a minute to find. I only needed to contact customer service once and they answered almost immediately. It was very new to us, but I don't ever remembering struggling trying to find things. I also really liked that is was online based. A lot of things we used was based off of our server, so you had to be in the office to use it. Square gave us the ability to be able to look up transactions no matter where we were.

Pros

I really liked how easy it was to use and implement. We badly needed to have a way to start accepting debit and credit cards. Square helped make that transition easy. We were able to not only take electronic payments in the Finance office, but the Police station as well. It was very easy to use so even teaching people how to use the software was relatively easy. Also you could figure out things easily by just playing around on the site.

Cons

The only thing I did not like was that there was no option to look at all the departments when it came to transactions and reports. So like if we had 3 departments I could not just look at all the transactions for the day throughout each department. I would have to click the individual department, get what I needed, then repeat it. It made things annoying because it would take a bit longer to record transactions from Square to our accounting software

Grow your business quickly

Square eliminated the need for costly card readers from a bank. The invoice feature allowed you to add clients and track when/if an invoice was paid. Overall, Square is an amazing product that is very versatile and a small business hero.

Pros

Square allows you to take secure payments anywhere. No start-up cost and low processing fees. They also offer a desktop ‘register’ that doesn’t require any software to be installed. Square gave us a professional way to take sales in the field because it eliminates the need for cash payments and gives your customers ease-of-mind when dealing with a start-up. It also provides analytics so that you can track the amount of money you have made and compare that to sales during another time-period. The invoice to email feature was also a time-saver.

Cons

The pre-determined processing term for funds to be released. You could utilize the paid-for early processing feature but, as a start-up, this was often out of reach. We used this service to take deposits to order client-specific materials so this additional processing time made it difficult to plan projects on occasion.

Taking payment is a breeze with Square, and the integrations are great!

Super easy to use, easy to process refunds and easy to see how you are doing (volume of business and sales averages) all due to some great reporting tools. We moved away simply because we thought we needed to find a real "business" processor -- turns out, Square is a legit business processor which zero mystery fees which makes it easier for us to predict revenue flow. Can be quite frustrating paying a high fee on the majority of your transactions, because the processor smacks you with the "reward card" designation on most transactions. Not an issue with Square, you see the rate and that is the rate you pay, no questions asked.

Pros

We have used many different payment solutions over the years. Most recently we have been using Authorize.net, and while they processed payments just fine, the system is super old and can be frustrating to use. Square is not so, rather they are super easy to use and grow with. Not having to jump through hoops each year to be recertified as PCI compliant (questionnaires and network scans on our end) is really a great bonus we never even knew about before temporarily moving away. We have obviously since moved back and cannot be happier.

Cons

For our photography studio, the biggest drawback was just the taking of the payments, it really didn't feel as professional as it could be when we had to use our phones for large client orders. That has since become an issue in the past as they have so many options now, including the new Square Terminal which we bought and love to death! So really, the biggest flaw we had, has been resolved.

Definitely Reccomend

Unlike past credit card processing vendors, Square truly makes an effort to show its commitment to small businesses and independent contractors. Even in resolving chargebacks or disputes, Square makes it feel like they've got your back, and that they are doing all they can on your behalf. Past vendors have made it difficult for us to win chargeback disputes by not allowing adequate time to submit documentation or responses, requiring all dispute documents to be physically mailed, etc.

Pros

Square is very user-friendly both as a mobile app and desktop virtual terminal credit card processing provider. Although their processing fees and rates may not be the lowest, they also don't have hidden fees and mystery surcharges (i.e., higher rates for Visa or MC rewards/miles card transactions, etc.). Furthermore, users can easily access sales reports and/or have set up to be sent to an email address automatically at user-specified intervals. Data in the reporting section is easy to read and understand. Our employees are also able to access transactions receipts, issue refunds, and include additional notes or customer details that appear on a receipt or transaction record(s).

Cons

Customer Feedback feature is nice, but extremely limited in terms of utility and as a small business marketing tool. Ideally, Square customer feedback would be able to integrate with other reviews or ratings websites and platforms, such as Google for Business, Yelp, Wordpress, etc. I would love to see future updates to this feature that allow customer feedback to be published to external sites or pages like Facebook or Yelp. Virtual Terminal/online POS access for multiple users requires a subscription/pro plan, which is prohibitive for small mom-and-pop outfits like ours. Even if free accounts were allowed 2-3 additional user accounts, that would make a huge difference for internal LP and accountability tracking.

Finally a Payment Processing Solution without a major learning curve, fast and efficient, solid!

I believe that Square is the best payment processing solution for small business. The rates are minimal and there's no month to month charge. Square as a company does not send a lot of emails to my business inbox. They know I can go to their site if I have questions. I absolutely love how I can have charged funds in my account within seconds of pushing a button to automatically transfer those funds...

Pros

Square is very easy to use! I am a soap and candlemaker who does a lot of farmers markets and shows and Square has made it very easy for me to accept credit cards on-the-go. For those who like to input inventory, you can do so at your laptop and simply select the products that customers are purchasing from your store or market stand shelves for ease of use. I prefer the option that lets me manually...

Cons

Nothing. This is a win, win situation for small business!

Couldn't imagine using any other processor

We currently use square payments processing for 3 different locations and have always been able to get the assistance we needed. Recently, our developer was able to work with square to obtain access to their API for our new site. Square was helpful in giving us access for our site that allows pick up and delivery.

Pros

Ease of use, quick payment turn around, helpful support and integration with other software are just a few of the pros.

Cons

There was a recent rate increase that initially concerned me but I was able to find a satisfactory rate by working with my Square Account Manager.

I’m a Piano Teacher, Not an Accountant

I’ve been with Square for several years, since I started teaching piano as more of a full-time profession instead of a side hobby, and overall, I’m VERY happy with them! I’m not an accountant, nor do I want to spend lots of time on the admin/financial side of my business; Square has just enough customization options and report capabilities to keep this Creative happy. I know there are cheaper payment processors out there, but I really enjoy the ease of use that Square provides along with the brand recognizability.

Pros

Recurring billing and automatic reminders, all the way!! Saves me so much time & energy in sending out invoices each month to my 30+ piano families. I’m not sure why I used to dread sending out invoices each month, as it means I’ll get paid. But I very much dreaded it, and would drag my feet in sending invoices. With automatic recurring billing, I set it up once (very simple to do) and I don’t have to think about it again, until I get the email confirmation that all the invoices have gone out. Then I think about it again when I’m notified that the invoices have been paid (the best!;).

Cons

I SO wish I could set up and send invoices in bulk...just create a template, enter a list of email addresses, and hit send. It’s not at all difficult to create and send invoices, just a little time consuming on the front end when each one has to be set up individually.

Square is the independent contractors gold standard for payment processing

Square is great. My customers have the option to pay with a credit card, and even understand that I will upcharge them the transaction fee. With some computer skills, you can make an online store work from your own site, or using one of their templates if you don't care how it looks. Bottom line is that Square gets the job done that needs to be done.

Pros

Setting up Square to accept payments through a device like an Ipad, phone, or laptop, through either swiping or manually entering information, is as easy as it gets. Highest marks for virtual terminal and checkout links, as well as snapshots of important information such as how much is the average a visitor spends, and how much is taken in for a given day. Best of all, payments to your account are very quick, with a fantastic option for instant transfer.

Cons

Hands down, the awful thing about Square, and the thing that could use the most improvement is the Online Store. It looks awful, isn't easy to customize, and takes a bit of knowhow to even get your product or event listed. I've used this for years and keep waiting for Square to make this something that has as much quality as the rest of their service. It doesn't look like they are interested. Also, merchant services through banks charge fees that the average small business owner can't justify.

Great Option for Small Businesses

Square Payments Processing has been great for my business. The majority of clients prefer to pay by credit or debit card and most have used Square at some point so are already familiar with it.

Pros

I really like that I can sell eGiftcards through the Square software so my clients can purchase via a link from my website without having to contact me. Also, that Square is compatible and completely integrated with my booking software (MassageBook).

Cons

The recent change in fees has been a bit confusing. I don't think overall there has been much of a change in what I'm paying, but I have had to pay more attention to the fee part of the transaction as it is no longer as straightforward as it previously was.

Square will likely become the universal POS app

I really love square! I would recommend this to any business owner who wants to track their sales better and make improvements based upon those results.

Pros

I LOVE square! I have been I user of this software for 3 or 4 years now at two different jobs and it has so many capabilities. I used this at a paddleboard shop and it did the trick but had way more capabilities than the business really needed. However, at the restaurant I worked at, this was everything we needed. It accepts all forms of payment (apple pay, google pay, android pay, tap-to-pay credit...

Cons

I really don't have much to complain about with this. I've had problems with the chip reader connecting in many cases, and you also have to make sure to have very reliable wifi or else the product will not process payments.

Love...love...love Square Processing

Selling products electronically is so simple with Square. Whether you're swiping from your telephone, iPad, or transactions being completed from your website, sales are streamlined.

Pros

I love that if you're "out on the field" at tradeshows, farmers' markets, etc you can still complete orders that count toward your overall revenue. The analytics piece is awesome.

Cons

There had been some restrictions with some industries that made no sense. One of the brands was denied. It was nothing illegal. The processing fee could be lower.