M-Files Reviews

4.2

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.84/10

Reviews by rating

I liked M-Files because of the ability to organize company files in a secure location. I used M-Files to fully store my Tax program in my previous position, and loved everything about it.
The setup for workflows is amazing and easy to do. It uses a graphical interface that is fun to experiment with but at the same time powerful and highly customizable.
It will be the best money you spend and will save you the cost is saved searching in weeks.
It creates synchronization problems in places where the internet connection is not reliable and there may be version problems.
What I dislike about the M-Files is User interface quite diffuclt to get used. They need to impove as well.

Joe M.

Engineer

Airlines/Aviation, 10,001+ employees

Daily User

Transcript

Joe M.: My name's Joe. I'm a principal engineer. I'd give M-Files a 5 out of 5. And for more reviews...

Computer Networking, 11-50 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Great Product

Pros

I support M-Files for a customer and have found it to be very easy to work with (from an IT-perspective). My customer absolutely loves it. I have to admit, it's a slick product and the idea of having 1 place that indexes all of the content you can throw at it, whether you're in the office or mobile, is amazing.

Cons

Really no complaints. I have not had any issue nor has my customer, and they've used it for many years.

Thank you for sharing about your of M-Files! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to further improve you and your customer's experience with our product.

Automotive, 10,001+ employees

Drop your files into the M-files and edit/download from where you are...

M-files is a cloud based service for business environment. It provides data sharing and editing with your team & colleagues. It is very easy to share and work on a shared document. Check-in and check-out processes not so effective and easy but It is well-considered. It should be easy and fast to use it effectively.

Pros

Data sharing is the main effective work of this tool. I can reach from anywhere to my files because it's a cloud based software.

Cons

Some interface features and classfication selections are not so easy. It takes much more time to share some documents via e-mail or from another source. So it should be simplified some points like writing details of documents.

Hello and thank you for your review. I would like an opportunity to discuss your experience with you as we take these surveys very serious. Can you please reach out to me as soon as possible with my provided contact information? I look forward to speaking with you and learning more about what we can do to simplify our process.

TF

Traci F.

Management Consulting, 11-50 employees

Generally good but would like to see more functionality particularly with search and view

Single document repository, simplified document retrieval

Pros

Having a single Repository for our documents and not having to save/search by location simplifies things

Cons

Adobe DC issues blank/corrupt and/or not saving (but not giving an error). When I add a property of AKA the AKA does not default off the Real Estate & When I then search by AKA the new docs not found (unless I have manually added AKA). Can't add doc to multi-file by file/save as. Can't file/save as/replace e.g. open PDF in Acrobat to edit it must save outside vault then Replace file with. Want more...

Best application ever!

Pros

The posibilite to integrate M-Files with the data of other applications running in the company. So we benefit from the data that we had validated over the years.

Cons

Some problems with the length of some of the names documents. there is problem with documents that have more than 250 characters

JP

Jordan P.

Facilities Services, 501-1,000 employees

its okay..

overall it was not terrible, it could have been more up to date, but it is kinda easy to use as long as you have someone to teach you i doubt that you could figure it out on your own.

Pros

it`s a great way to keep things in the right place and send in things to your corporate office

Cons

it has a out dated look to it, so you have to really get to know the program to understand it completely.

Ömer B.

Automotive, 10,001+ employees

File storage in safe and quick

We are using this program in our company to share and store the files.

Pros

We can reach our business files from everywhere thanks to M-Files. Our files are in safe and we have no doubt that they will get lost. Also we can share files which have big size with our colleagues and suppliers easily.

Cons

You need to write many information to register a file. It takes so many time. Also you does not find files sometimes because you need to put keywords but you may forgotten.

Hello Omer, thank you for taking time to provide this valuable feedback. We take these reviews very seriously and I would like to speak with you regarding your experience. My contact information is provided, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Hasan Y.

Automotive, 5,001-10,000 employees

Not very good memory software

Pros

It is very easy to send files to another users

Cons

User interface is vey bad. It is very difficult to find required files

Hello Hasan, thank you for letting us know that you find value with M-Files by easily sending and receiving files from other users. We would like an opportunity to discuss your experience with you around some of your other feedback provided. I have included my contact information, if you would like to speak with me personally. If so, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Automotive, 10,001+ employees

easy storage and file sharing!

Pros

this software makes it very easy to share data

Cons

forms cannot be customized and for this reason you feel as if you are not so cared

Thank you for your very valuable review of M-Files.

1,001-5,000 employees

I use M Files daily at work and it assists me very well

its very easy to use, you can attach the documents to emails quickly and its easy to find whatever you need.

Pros

I love how you can look up information using any key word you plan to find in a document. Whether a name or account number or anything of that nature. Everything uploads pretty quickly and you can click and slide what you need right into an email.

Cons

I honestly cant find anything I don't like about it. Its very helpful. Easy to use. It does literally everything I need it to do.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

One of the best tools for document organization

Pros

Organizing the documents by tags and searching are made so easy with M Files. It is also possible to create documents with fixed templates via M Files, all connected to CRM softwares.

Cons

It can be difficult to learn in the beginning.

Thank you for the positive review of M-Files Intelligent Information Management and for sharing about your experience with Capterra visitors. Please contact us should you have any questions or visit our Client Portal for the latest information on new features, guides and peer support. https://www.m-files.com/en/customer-portal

ED

Eudes D.

Information Services, 11-50 employees

An Impressive and Intuitive Document Management Solution - M-Files

Overall, M-Files is an effective document management solution that offers a variety of features and tools to help manage and store documents. It has a user-friendly interface and the search feature could be improved. It is a bit expensive for large organizations, but it is a great option for smaller organizations.

Pros

M-Files is a comprehensive document management solution that helps streamline our business processes. It offers a variety of features and tools to help us quickly and easily manage and store our documents. The user interface is intuitive and user-friendly, allowing us to quickly find and access the documents we need.

Cons

One downside of using M-Files is that it can be expensive for large organizations. Additionally, the search feature could use some improvement, as it can be difficult to find the exact document you are looking for.

TC

Treve C.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

M-Files saves time!

There is a strange current normal in global business that 99% of companies accept: Staff either can't find, or it takes a long time to find, the information they need to do their jobs quickly and efficiently. M-Files provides anew normal: Staff can securely access the correct information instantly from anywhere! This is a total paradigm shift for any company and the time and cost savings are incredible!

Pros

It's easy to use so staff acceptance is universal. It saves time by providing access to information that was previously unattainable. It reduces errors and saves money. M-Files can do anything for a company because of the way it uses metadata, workflow and objects. It is a Swiss army knife of software that relies on configuration not coding. It integrates with MS Office & Outlook and talks to other software to share information which reduces data entry. The mobile apps are amazing, you can take a photo of something on your phone, upload it straight to M-Files and have Workflow kick off immediately. M-Files is simple to use and powerful for organisations of any size.

AB

Anthony B.

Computer Networking, 1-10 employees

Most easy to use EDMS which ticks ALL the boxes

Searching for documents or hand written notes. Documents prepared by others and missing emails sent by staff. All a thing of the past. Its all in M-Files, found in a third of a second, and available on tablet, phone and desktop. We use nothing else for any document we prepare. Hand written notes from meetings are scanned in on the photocopier and sent straight to M-Files. When you need them again,...

Pros

Ease of use Ease of Install Availability of data and documents

Cons

Search for trailing substring characters. ie if I'm looking for a serial number that ends or contains 1234 there isn't a search option.

Anthony, thanks for the positive feedback and we are so glad to hear that your company is enjoying efficiency gains in a number of areas using M-Files.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Great software, creates dependency

We solved the archiving and documents sorting problem, but for the price tag we had to give up using it.

Pros

I liked that it makes archiving a lot easier, helps classifing documents easier and helps you find what you need faster. It uses a system based on metadata and words you introduce. I liked that based on that it sorts documents by it self.

Cons

This software makes you dependent and if want to change it with another software it is almost impossible. If you want to switch, you need to reorganize your documents, and you need to take each one and rename it. This was my experience switching from M-Files to something else. To me, for what it offers, it's expensive.

Great to hear that M-Files helps you with archiving, classifying your documents and quickly locating your documents. Thank you for taking the time to complete the review.

EM

Enrique M.

Airlines/Aviation, 1,001-5,000 employees

Flexjet / M-Files

Working with M-files has been very difficult. Their process is very slow. As a company we like to work fast and M-files has 10 steps of evalution versus just fixing the issue. The idea of resolving the issue is sending us articles for us to fix our issues. I really like the overall product but I am concerned when something breaks because it takes forever.

Pros

The functionality of being able to store and find files is great for the price.

Cons

Support and address issues is painful. Support is more about trying to find how the user created the problem than trying to address the problem. Support just needs to move faster.

Thank you for your feedback about our Customer Support team. While we do need to pinpoint root causes when troubleshooting, we will look for ways to expedite a solution more quickly. We have also passed along your comments highlighting a need for better Salesforce Connector expertise to our team.

AH

Allan H.

Chemicals, 51-200 employees

Highly Recommended DMS

M-Files is highly flexible and can we easily customized to any needs you have. Most things done even need the assistance of a developer. It is a very stable platform and we have nothing but good things to say. Our organization is about 200 people and we use it for everything from HR documents to order and shipping related documents, as well as compliance documents and workflows.

Pros

Flexibility, Very easy to learn, Minimal end user training needed, Major updates and features added twice a year. Smooth office integration, Easy to integrate with ERP databases, Many layers of security including encrypted SQL database.

KK

Kat K.

Retail, 11-50 employees

a software package that could be well-suited for certain users

M-Files is a very versatile software. When you learn how to use this tool effectively, there is no limit except your imagination.

Pros

I love the way M-Files is constantly evolving. They are always adding new features and making improvements.

Cons

The documentation is not always clear and helpful. Complex integrations could be a real headache if you fail to analyse the project very detailly in the very early stages.

Airlines/Aviation, 11-50 employees

Daily User

Pros

I use M-files daily. I love the use of metadata to do intuitive searching.

Cons

I wish it had a few more features. Like the ability to require more than one person to review a document in a single stage of a workflow.

Hello, we appreciate you taking the time to complete this review. We are happy to hear that you are finding value in searching for your documents in M-Files. I would like an opportunity to discuss your experience a bit more with you. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.

RR

Randy R.

Management Consulting, 1-10 employees

Support is always very frustrating!

I only call them a couple of times per year for support. But, every time I do I find tremendous resistance to help out. So, if you’re looking for excellent support, don’t buy M-Files!

Pros

The program works well and helps our office to stay organized. We can quickly and easily find documents.

Cons

But, support is always very frustrating, because they have a million rules of what they can or can’t do. The attitude is never – how can I help you?

JH

Jenny H.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 501-1,000 employees

At first I was impressed by M-Files, but disapponted after using it

Pros

Originally, it appeared to be very user friendly and I thought it would be a lot easier to use than our previous archive system.

Cons

The search function is horrible. Previously we used Alchemy, which seemed pretty basic so when M-Files was introduced, I was excited to get into the new program. That is until I tried finding documents. When I try to search for a quote number, I get hundreds of results. If I want to refine my search I have to click on a bunch of stuff and then I still have to fish through the results to find what I am looking for.

DP

Di P.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Ajendico Pty Ltd

Took us a while to get the structure right and understand our choices but we had good training from our dealer. Once we got that right and locked out users so they could use the data but not update it and we controlled who could update and made sure they had appropriate training, it grew dramatically and is used heaps in our office

Pros

I like the fact that we know where everything is in our office

Cons

If you sold this to a site that is not disciplined at loading files, you could still get in a mess so it's the type of product that you need to play around with before going live to get the design right

RS

Robert S.

Environmental Services, 201-500 employees

IT Supervisor

Management of Change - Where M-Files users respond to a topic and must be current. AutoCAD files dump into M-Files - Users can view documents about the factory. Over all M-Files works well and a person is dumping AutoCAD files on a daily basis into M-Files. Dennis Street has helped with many questions. A good guy to deal with.

Pros

Reliable, easy to use, a good database program.

Cons

Nothing to mention

NW

Neill W.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

M-Files is a powerful document management system with a great user interface.

Huge time savings, improved project management.

Pros

User interface - it's familiar yet flexible, and very powerful. It's obvious that a lot of time was spent developing it. Connectivity - the ability to pull indexing data from other databases is an incredible time saver and keeps records accurate. Power - the way metadata can be parsed, re-used, and filtered is a huge benefit for naming conventions and searching and sorting files.

Cons

It would be great if platforms other than WIndows were better supported (Mac, Linux). I would like to see dedicated clients and better Chrome plugin support for non-Windows systems.

ag

aballa g.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

organise and store your files with M-files

using the application has helped to keep my documents securing with out worry of losing them

Pros

M-file has good user interface and easy to use, i like it because it allows to organize and keep my files very well in most secure order

Cons

Using the application needs internet connections and in areas with poor network it disturbs a lot to get your files hence making it not so reliable

Automotive, 10,001+ employees

A useful product for cloud file storage

As the norm is changing from physical to cloud storage for most companies, I am able to keep & tag my files accordingly when uploading; possibly preventing a mess in my hard drive.

Pros

It enables the user to create specific group where he/she can share any file instantly.

Cons

Its storage system is not based on folders but rather files only. This ends up taking too much time if you need to upload a huge set of files.

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you find value in sharing files with the use of M-Files. We would, however, like an opportunity to discuss your experience with you around some of your other experiences with M-Files. If you are open to a conversation, please contact me at your earliest convenience.