All categories

M-Files Reviews

Pros

It will be the best money you spend and will save you the cost is saved searching in weeks.

Anthony B.

Helga W.

I liked M-Files because of the ability to organize company files in a secure location. I used M-Files to fully store my Tax program in my previous position, and loved everything about it.

James M.

Cons

It creates synchronization problems in places where the internet connection is not reliable and there may be version problems.

What I dislike about the M-Files is User interface quite diffuclt to get used. They need to impove as well.

Çağrı E.

Also you does not find files sometimes because you need to put keywords but you may forgotten.

Ömer B.

Daily User

Transcript

Joe M.: My name's Joe. I'm a principal engineer. I'd give M-Files a 5 out of 5. And for more reviews...

Go-to application for any Digitization Project

M-files is a must for any company seeking to implement digital transformation initiatives in their company. I love best is its extensive feature set and seamless integration with Microsoft products (e.g., office, IIS server, MS SQL, Windows, etc.) The workflow feature is easy to customize, setup, and implement. It will change the way you deal with paper documents once you experience how easy it is to digitize, and manage your documents. The OCR functionality is a beast! Just like having Google on your local repository, reading through the very contents of your digital documents.

Pros

The thing I like the most is the seamless integration with Microsoft products. This made it easy for implementing the use of M-files into our office workflow (it works well from within Outlook, Microsoft Office, even Windows Explorer). The creation of a Workflow is made very easy via a graphical workflow editor. Just a little learning curve and we are able to setup the different manual processes into a solid digital workflow for the office (e.g., filing for leave, routing of papers for approval, storing scanned copies of contracts and any kind of document in the office).

Cons

When implementing on a large scale (e.g., company-wide) we really had to sit down and plan out our licensing arrangement. Note that M-Files comes in a variety of licensing options (e.g., read-only, named user, concurrent user). Some offices can possibly share licenses (but number of active sessions will be limited). Planning out the best license option is quite a task since we were woking on a limited buget and we had to optimize the value-for-money setup we can have. It can also be a bit overwhelming for new users. We had a bit of difficulty in the deployment since we had to train all the users (who found it not so intuitive at first). But then, after the training, it has then been integrated well for our daily use.

One Place for All Document Types

M-files was a great tool to create one common space for us to store, share, and retrieve documents and digital assets online. Workflow are next, but we're still securing more funding given the new pricing model.

Pros

Our office being limited with space has decided to keep tidy and lean by going digital. We tried M-files because it has good reviews, good recommendations from industry partners, and it has been receiving awards as well. So far, so good. After manual scanning, we upload our files into the M-files vault and everything is securely stored and easily accessible in one place. Searching for the file you...

Cons

M-Files has changed its delivery and pricing model. We have a perpetual license for 2018, but it turns out we need to upgrade into the subscription model for M-Files 2019 in order to continue receiving the updates, upgrades, and customer support. Since we have not yet upgraded, we are put on hold in terms of implementing our digital workflows. Now we're just waiting for the next budget season and release to upgrade.

Hi David, Thank you for sharing about your experiences using M-Files with others on Capterra. It is rewarding to hear that M-Files has helped your business with its digital transformation and that you are realizing improvements in the way that your staff store, share, and retrieve documents and digital assets online. I am confident that when you are ready to upgrade to M-Files Online that your company will see the value in having immediate access to product improvements and new capabilities. Please feel free to reach out or visit our customer portal should you have any questions or if we can be of assistance to you.

Expensive, bad documentation, no debugging capability and bad support from the vendor

We are a german company that uses M-Files for some years. I'm the poor guy that has to configure the backend/server side. The basic functions are easy to setup, once installed, the server and client side runs well. The basic idea is easy to understand, documents belongs to classes ans has class-specific metadata attributes like "telephone number". Attributes can be linked to other objects... fine! What...

Pros

- Usefull user interface on the client side - Good basic structure

Cons

- Expensive - Very bad support - Bad documentation - No usefull examples - Not self-explaining to the adminsitrator

Online Storage and Easy Information Transfer

the application I use to store, manage and monitor all kinds of documents, information and visual materials. It can also be used for document sharing and version control.

Pros

It is an easy-to-use and powerful document management system that facilitates the management, finding and tracking of documents for companies of all sizes. It is a solution offered according to the needs of every institution / organization. The biggest advantage at this point is that it is very simple to customize.

Cons

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to complete this review. We value your time and appreciate the score! Again, thank you and we look forward to your continued business!

Good For Data Storage But It Needs To Be Faster To Allow User Better Experience"

I have been using this software for 2 years.We were storing the working documets to another sharefolder. First feeling was there was no folder structer and user interface is not familliar as we were using before. But I would like to add using M-files Software has increased our storage capacity. It also helps data transmits when someone left the company.We have started to eliminate know-how lost in company .Addition to this I feel working with this softare may be time consumer.M-Files team needs to improve the infterface and needs to make the software more user friendly

Pros

I woudl say the most I like about the M-Files is ensuring security to the companies for working in bussiness.M files eliminating the data transfer and data leak to 3rd party companies which are not allowed to Access the data. Other think I like at it is integrated and working pretty fine with Microsoft Office softwares .It aslo makes our business efficiency great

Cons

What I dislike about the M-Files is User interface quite diffuclt to get used .They need to impove as well. One other thing check in and check out to folder requires additional tasks and reminders to proceed with document.It decreases work efficiency dramaticaly

We appreciate your candid response regarding your experience with M-Files. Would you be open to discuss in more detail? If so, please feel free to contact me as my contact information can be found below.

50-year-old Archives... digitized!

M-Files is our repository of choice for all our digital assets. The M-Files server is secure, robust, and easy to manage. Files may be accessed via the main software, via an app, or even via a web browser. Plus, digital workflows have changed the way we work on documents, making it more streamlined, and efficient. We are confident that our archives and new files are safe from theft, loss, and unauthorized access.

Pros

M-files works seamlessly with Microsoft products (Windows Explorer, MS Office) which makes it easy to incorporate into our daily workflow. Our filing cabinet with 50 years worth of archives/documents have been digitally scanned recently, and M-files is our DMS of choice because of ease of use, integration with MS Office, secure vault features, OCR and powerful metadata tagging. Workflow design and implementation are easy since it is done via an intuitive graphical interface.

Cons

Licenses do not come cheap. Just make sure to figure out the best possible license type to your use-case (e.g., Concurrent for offices which can share licenses).

Perfectly developed product with so many useful features

The interface of the product is quite effective in doing daily task work and also helps me in to understand all the features better. This solution suits every type of organization whatever their size and resources will be.

Pros

For me to work with full integrity and also it assures the safety and security of my documents to a larger extent. I really like its search bar that allows me to search each and every document from my system with huge ease and also it provides me a great help in sharing my documents to anyone anywhere in the world.

Cons

It has been the excellent tool with skilled customer response. I have experienced its support they are really professional and intelligent while resolving our problems. Honestly there is nothing to dislike here.

Hello Amanda, we appreciate you taking time to complete the survey regarding your experience with M-Files. Very happy to hear that you find value with our product!

Excelente Gestor Documental

Buena experencia, aun faltan mas canales en latinoamerica, mas servicio de la marca

Pros

La facilidad de busqueda y la interfaz muy amigable

Cons

EL precio, es algo alto ya que se cobra por licencia

Easy to learn, understand and to use. I allways find what I'm looking for

LinkedIn

Pros

I allways find what I'm looking for when I search in M-Files, but alsow when I go to views that is build by administrators or myselves.

Cons

I could have been integrated bether with SharePoint, but I have heard that this is coming :-)

Great software, creates dependency

We solved the archiving and documents sorting problem, but for the price tag we had to give up using it.

Pros

I liked that it makes archiving a lot easier, helps classifing documents easier and helps you find what you need faster. It uses a system based on metadata and words you introduce. I liked that based on that it sorts documents by it self.

Cons

This software makes you dependent and if want to change it with another software it is almost impossible. If you want to switch, you need to reorganize your documents, and you need to take each one and rename it. This was my experience switching from M-Files to something else. To me, for what it offers, it's expensive.

Great to hear that M-Files helps you with archiving, classifying your documents and quickly locating your documents. Thank you for taking the time to complete the review.

Great Document Management System with lacking support

M-Files is really a great Document Management System with many features, yet easy to use for the end-user. It has advances features like data synchronization between locations, as well as connecting to external databases and support for Dynamics 365. The workflow builder allows a lot of flexibility as well. The only downside is the support. Over the years, the US office has deteriorated. In the first...

Pros

- User-friendly for end-user - Blows SharePoint out of the water - Highly customizable on the back-end (custom workflows, external database connections)

Cons

- US based technical support is non-existent - M-Files will respond immediately if you want to purchase more licenses, but when there is a problem I can't get any support - Once had a call with a "senior" M-Files consultant that had been with the company for 3 months(!) Needless to say, he had no clue what I was talking about. That was the last time I engaged M-Files for paid for consulting hours.

Thank you for your comprehensive feedback. We love it when our customers have such great things to say about the solution. We also appreciate the comments about your experience with the consulting team. We have shared that feedback and will reach out to you directly.

Wish we had M-files sooner!

I've been working with M-files for 2 years now and I can't imagine my professional life without it. I am the Records Administrator for my organization and therefore my concern lies in retaining record history and valuable documents. Of course this is facilitated through comprehensive database searches. I have appreciated the ease of use in the M-files interface and the various features that we now have for documents that simply were not present in traditional folder structures. I've trained close to 100 colleagues on this software with great success. M-files does an exceptional job of allowing everyone to work in a way that is natural and comfortable to them, while simultaneously allowing everyone to collaborate, work together, and find each other's documents.

Pros

-ease of searching -customize features -document version ability -youtube videos

Cons

-the biggest delay in rolling out M-files to our organization was that there was no model in which to consult. No prescribed list of document types or a model to play with. -From a records point of view, document retention should be built in somehow. We create thousands of documents daily and while some are permanent retention, most are transitory and should have a review process. I've been left to conduct record audits and manually determine record value based on a number of factors of the documents.

Easy File Management

Great time to value (up and running in hours). Administration is intuitive and requires minimal expertise. The user experience is well integrated with Windows (can access using a drive map). Suitable for on-premier or cloud deployments, including AWS Workspaces of VMWare OneSpace.

Pros

Seem less integration with Windows and Active Directory. Users can simply drag and drop files into the M-Files client or via a browser (requires plug-in). User can tag favorite files and search based on multiple file attributes or tags. Server setup (Window 2012 or higher) is straightforward with the option of M-Files database or Microsoft SQL server. For smaller organizations, I recommend using the built-in database option. M-Files installation and administration requires much less planning compared to SharePoint.

Cons

Not a full featured when compared to SharePoint. Does not offer collaborative features such as Web or Office365 integration.

Hello Tim, Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are very happy to hear that you are pleased with the ease of use M-Files provides. We appreciate you and your business. Have a great day!

M-Files saves time!

There is a strange current normal in global business that 99% of companies accept: Staff either can't find, or it takes a long time to find, the information they need to do their jobs quickly and efficiently. M-Files provides anew normal: Staff can securely access the correct information instantly from anywhere! This is a total paradigm shift for any company and the time and cost savings are incredible!

Pros

It's easy to use so staff acceptance is universal. It saves time by providing access to information that was previously unattainable. It reduces errors and saves money. M-Files can do anything for a company because of the way it uses metadata, workflow and objects. It is a Swiss army knife of software that relies on configuration not coding. It integrates with MS Office & Outlook and talks to other software to share information which reduces data entry. The mobile apps are amazing, you can take a photo of something on your phone, upload it straight to M-Files and have Workflow kick off immediately. M-Files is simple to use and powerful for organisations of any size.

Most easy to use EDMS which ticks ALL the boxes

Searching for documents or hand written notes. Documents prepared by others and missing emails sent by staff. All a thing of the past. Its all in M-Files, found in a third of a second, and available on tablet, phone and desktop. We use nothing else for any document we prepare. Hand written notes from meetings are scanned in on the photocopier and sent straight to M-Files. When you need them again,...

Pros

Ease of use Ease of Install Availability of data and documents

Cons

Search for trailing substring characters. ie if I'm looking for a serial number that ends or contains 1234 there isn't a search option.

Anthony, thanks for the positive feedback and we are so glad to hear that your company is enjoying efficiency gains in a number of areas using M-Files.

Tremendous value from using M-Files

Solution Management is a software reselling company. We use M-Files to manage documents and as our CRM system managing the full sales cycle with lead generation, opportunity management and communication with customers, contract management, all our projects, internal HR and finance management. Before M-Files we used traditional folders and Dropbox, but we suffered from not being able to find the correct...

Pros

Functionality Stability Price Support Ease of use

Cons

Cannot come up with something

Out of the box experience

Mfiles comes with features out of the box that get you started but the real value comes once you start modeling your business processes utilizing the functionality of the core software. I have been very successful at modeling our business processes using the software. I am always amazed with what I can do with it. You can do a lot by simply configuring the software and even more if you want to write a little code. I am very happy with the software and would recommend it to others. Don't expect it to be tailored to your business out of the box though. To leverage it you have to get into the Administration functions and then you can roll out the solutions to your users.

Pros

The fact that I can define a solution with the software that fits our business.

Cons

I think the professional services are expensive and cost prohibitive. That is not a problem with the software but it is a problem if you want to leverage the product. You really need in house expertise if you want to get what you need from the software.

Drop your files into the M-files and edit/download from where you are...

M-files is a cloud based service for business environment. It provides data sharing and editing with your team & colleagues. It is very easy to share and work on a shared document. Check-in and check-out processes not so effective and easy but It is well-considered. It should be easy and fast to use it effectively.

Pros

Data sharing is the main effective work of this tool. I can reach from anywhere to my files because it's a cloud based software.

Cons

Some interface features and classfication selections are not so easy. It takes much more time to share some documents via e-mail or from another source. So it should be simplified some points like writing details of documents.

Hello and thank you for your review. I would like an opportunity to discuss your experience with you as we take these surveys very serious. Can you please reach out to me as soon as possible with my provided contact information? I look forward to speaking with you and learning more about what we can do to simplify our process.

Central Digital Repo

M-Files has changed the way we move decision papers around in the office. We are slowly in the process of digitizing our workflows and simple business processes like forms approvals and routing of papers through the management team members. M-Files is now our central repository for archived documents and new ones coming into the inbox.

Pros

1. We scan the majority of our paper documents in the office, and it goes straight to M-Files. I love the seamless integration with Microsoft products (Office, Outlook, File Explorer) as there are quick buttons for upload, and the usual cut&paste, drag&drop also works. 2. The setup for workflows is amazing and easy to do. It uses a graphical interface that is fun to experiment with but at the same time powerful and highly customizable. 3. M-files works best in the Microsoft Windows environment as well as with mobiles devices for easy access to our vaults from anywhere with internet connectivity.

Cons

We initially had some trouble with integration with our Active Directory for a unified username/password management. We had to go through the documentation (which some are not so up to date), and the vendor we had was not so helpful either.

Best software for managing your electronic documents online.

By sharing required documents with each other and with US staff helps us to making benefits.

Pros

We can manage and control of our documents online by this software. Very user friendly and ease of use. We can share our documents with other employees in our company. We can also set permissions that who can view and change to our documents. So it is very secure. It has a feature of back up and restoring of files to avoid data loss. We can also save our scanned documents and photographs in M-Files. We can also connect to different databases to get the required data.

Cons

M-files provide less customer support. The files saved at M-files store will not save in their existing format like .pdf , .doc etc. it will save the files in their M-files format which is bit annoying.

Thank you for the review and sharing about your experiences using M-Files. In your review you mention that files saved to M-Files do not store in their existing formats. I'm not certain about your configuration, but a typical installation stores all files in their native formats including .pdf, .doc. xlsx, .png, etc. M-Files can also be configured to automatically convert certain file types to others upon saving if desired. It might be so that your configuration is set-up in the manner you describe to maximize storage capacity. Please consider contacting M-Files support about this and they can help to change your file saving format configuration if you desire.

Next Generation Business Management

This product is a game-changer. Not only is your data retained better, it is retrieved quicker, work time is reduced exponentially, security is granular and well-protected, and analysis possibilities are endless! It is totally beyond me why anyone would use anything else to operate their business. SharePoint is nice for website management, but it costs you way too much as a tool to manage your business. Drop it now like a hot potato and get M-Files. It will save your company a ton of money in the long run.

Pros

Retrieval of documents, and analysis opportunities.

Cons

It takes some adjustment to move from a linear filing sensibility to a meta-data driven system. I still think linear. But I am getting over it!

Not user friendly

I like the program apart from being able to upload only files one by one instead copying everything at once.

Pros

Able to use it via phone app is the best feature I like. Normally we are bound to company laptop for everything and to company network for some of the applications. However with this phone app, it removes limits.

Cons

Radical view system instead of windows folder system. Views has to be created by each user. Thus there is no global folder creation. some users is able to what they are looking for if they can manage view feature better. and not all people are proficient about programs, pc and IT stuff.

Being able to access M-Files by mobile is a wonderful feature and we are happy that you find it valuable. Regarding your additional feedback, I would like an opportunity to discuss your experience a bit more with you. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience. Thank you for your very valuable review.

Full control of information

With M-Files we have full control of all sorts of information. Mails, invoices, drawings, memos, contracts and all other types of documents are available and easy to find for all relevant staff in the field as well as in the office. Tasks - once only as well as repeating tasks are documented and reminders sent to those in charge. Information is linked to customers, projects, people, equipment, tasks etc and you can sort and find it based on any of those metadata tags or even on full text search. A few seconds and you have found exactly what you need. No more paper, no more folders, never again.

Pros

Very user friendly, available on any platform, all your information is accessible anywhere anytime. Using workflows you can approve invoices etc. even when you are out of office.

Ajendico Pty Ltd

Took us a while to get the structure right and understand our choices but we had good training from our dealer. Once we got that right and locked out users so they could use the data but not update it and we controlled who could update and made sure they had appropriate training, it grew dramatically and is used heaps in our office

Pros

I like the fact that we know where everything is in our office

Cons

If you sold this to a site that is not disciplined at loading files, you could still get in a mess so it's the type of product that you need to play around with before going live to get the design right

Great flexibility to streamline our processes and information management

We've recently implemented M-Files. It's very flexible and has made huge improvement to the way we manage our information and processes. It's easy to use but as with every new system it takes some a bit longer to get used to. The user guides are pretty minimal, especially from an administration perspective and there is not a dedicated support team that can help with queries. You are relying on the community of users (who are general very responsive and generous but may not necessarily respond to every query). It is good value for money but for a small charity like ours it's a huge investment but I am glad that we made it.

Pros

Flexibility, the ability to customise it exactly to your organisation's need.

Cons

Support and documentation

Thank you for your input about Customer Support and documentation. We are focused on improving the administration portions of our User Guide. As always, if you run into specific errors or unusual behavior, Customer Support can assist you in your efforts. However, more complex scripts and general assistance or debugging are best handled by Consulting as they can assess your needs and requirements.