Yammer Reviews

Yammer

Enterprise Social Network (ESN) to connect and communicate

4.07/5 (404 reviews)

Pros
  • It's great at what it does, but you really have to want something like this (and you need buy-in from a large contingent of your organization) to reap the benefits.Nick S.Read the full review
  • It's great in general, I just do hope that other popular social media platform can be scalable to the enterprise, but I do realize that may add to liability and complications on the content.Kevin I.Read the full review
  • The ease of use and user friendliness makes it easy to use inside the organization and lets you spread the word quickly like any other social messaging sites but perfect limit ability.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
Cons
  • Sometimes gives errors when trying to upload images. The main problem is not these issues themselves, but that they're random and hard to duplicate, making it difficult to find a solution.David L.Read the full review
  • It is annoying to have to do everything from outlook and the way yammer comes up in outlook is more of an annoyance than anything. If it were stand alone it would be much better and less intrusive.Jennifer T.Read the full review
  • May become difficult not be puzzled in such large tree views of various communities. Too many information entries may lead to confusion & let people publish information almost anywhere.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Arpan Sawhney

One of the best platforms to improve employee engagement in an organization

Reviewed 2019-02-10

- If an organization wants its employees to share topics, interests, or areas of practice, then Yammer is a must!

Pros
- The platform is simple and easy to use. Employees can start a conversation about any topic they feel like needs attention. Users have the ability to create public and private groups, share documents and videos with each other, and like other people's posts. - Yammer can be considered a social networking platform meant to be used internally in an organization.

Cons
- I am using the software from last 5 years and do not have any concerns. The platform is reliable, easy to use, requires little to no training even for a beginner.

deba omoluru

Good content sharing tool which is underutilized because there are a lot of alternatives

Reviewed 2019-04-15

Yammer has helped us reduce the number of intracompany emails and also reduced the number of meetings since we all can collaborate within it.

Pros
Yammer is like a social media tool for workers in my company to interact with each other. We tried it out in 2016 and we never looked back. Company update can be sent to all members just like using an email, while documents, images and videos can be shared within it. It is cheap, sign up is free and have good customer support. You can easily join a group or create a group depending on what you want. Yammer helped me find information and get help by reading articles that were written by experts on difficult jobs within the organization. I only have to search for it. Yammer made me more productive with timely useful conversations and interaction from my colleague across the company best hands. I could also easily see what is happening within the organization at all times because of the synchronized updates. I can use yammer even when am out of the office because of their Android app. Additionally, Yammer works very well with office 365 which is not a surprise since it is built by Microsoft.

Cons
Yammer is too strict on 3rd party adverts within their platform. It is not widely popular and people just tend to disregard it. The learning curve for yammer use to be very low but recent additions and innovations somehow made it a bit steep for newbies. yammer work more like a social media platform rather a corporate tool with the many innovations been added to it The interface is too rigid for my liking. (personal dislike but my colleagues absolutely loved it)

Dan Price

Corporate social media

Reviewed 2020-03-04

It is great modern tool for enhancing company wide communication

Pros
The ability to follow people and keep abreast of company news across functional teams and departments.

Cons
The number of groups one joins on Yammer can be quickly overwhelming and it then seems difficult to stay on top of all content.

Alexander Younes

A Great Forum For Employee Engagement and Collaboration

Reviewed 2019-12-12

Overall, Yammer is a wonderful tool that I am glad we implemented here. It gives the user a very social network experience that they are used to, while maintaining a lot of the wonderful features that you've come to expect from Microsoft. I 100% recommend the implementation of Yammer to any organization that's considering to use it.

Pros
Yammer has opened the door to many new connections and collaborations at Oxy. We've been able to create business-unit specific Yammer groups that allow employees from all around the globe to post data, share findings, and collaborate - all in one easy to use place.

Cons
There aren't too many cons to Yammer - sometimes you may get too many emails, depending on how many Yammer groups you are subscribed to. But these email preferences can always be changed at your discretion to limit the amount of inbox flooding.

Raghavendar Neela

Unique Social network for corporates

Reviewed 2019-02-24

We have used this for solution seeking where we put our request or query and we get response with what people know about it or sometime we get perfect solution too. Apart from work related, we also share the cool pics related to the happening or team events or festivals celebration. Also, polls are conducted to seek the feedback from colleagues about new change in the company or changes that is needed.

Pros
We have Office365 at our company, next to Skype the other app that is extensively used is Yammer for collaboration. We can switch this seamlessly across our Laptop & phone apps. Yammer is social network within the company. Everyone is member as soon as they join and we have different groups where we are free to join. But default, based on our department we are tagged to parent groups and we can view the updates and share our feedback just like Facebook. We can create new groups based on the need and invite people or tag them to get their attention. The biggest advantage of this app is your voice is reached to thousands in minutes and you may get feedback from top skipping the hierarchies. So easy to connect and easy to use and make an effective use for networking across the colleagues

Cons
User Interface is not rich and looks and feels needs improvement. Not sure but it hangs for me quite number of times. Also, little difficult to search for a post or feed. It becomes more confusing once more and more groups are created.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Lisa Carper

Company Wide Message Board

Reviewed 2019-12-12

Overall, this has been a really great tool for connecting members of our teams that we may never come into contact with, otherwise. I have been able to keep up to date on things that I would not have known was even happening without Yammer.

Pros
I really like that as part of Office 365, I am able to access Yammer from any device. Because we use Yammer as an overall message board, having the ability to create multiple groups has been great. We currently use it to keep track of what is going on around campus, as a way to send updates on programs that are used, and even as a buy/sell/trade group. We can include text and pictures in our posts to help with descriptions.

Cons
The one complaint that I have is that comments often get separated from posts and seem to just be randomly floating around in Yammerland.

Janelle Koehler

I am a Yammer junkie!

Reviewed 2019-12-12

Yammer allows me to communicate with every single layer of our company - from recruiters to the CEO, president, etc. It has allowed me to network with other people whom I may not have connected with otherwise.

Pros
Yammer is VERY easy to learn, very easy to use, organized and provides TONS of features!! I can message others, post in groups and even create my own groups. I didn't have to read any instructions in order to do any of this either! Very user friendly.

Cons
I honestly have not found anything I didn't like about Yammer. I wish we used this in every role I was in!

Yammer

Reviewed 2020-02-16

There are other social media platforms you could use, but this is a must have for an organisation.

Pros
Yammer is an enterprise social network by Microsoft which allows you to get along with your co-workers and get recent updates on what's happening within the organisation. You can either communicate personally with people or discuss with a group on different topics. This is a must have in your organisation.

Cons
There's nothing that I dislike about using this software as it helps alot in getting new updates on events within the organisation.

David Lee

Decent product, could be better and more supported

Reviewed 2019-06-24

Powers the social network for our intranet, as well as other community groups. When it's working well, it's a decent experience and gives employees the opportunity to connect and learn from each other.

Pros
As part of O365, it integrates well with other Office products and gives everyone access to an internal social network

Cons
Embedded Yammer feeds don't always work well. Many times an error shows up requiring a refresh of the page. Sometimes gives errors when trying to upload images. The main problem is not these issues themselves, but that they're random and hard to duplicate, making it difficult to find a solution.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Steven Malone

Facebook without the features

Reviewed 2019-05-22

It was difficult to search for previous discussions, find things you like, and find popular topics that had been liked by others. It is not as instant as instant chat programs and it's not as easy to search as online message boards. It seems to have a foot in both of those doors and not really commit to either one.

Pros
The best thing about Yammer was that it was simple. You can easily create a topic and post responses to that topic. For those that use Facebook, Yammer is very easy to pick-up. Also like Facebook, Yammer is good for in the moment shares and discussions.

Cons
The interface was very plain and gave a very cheap impression. It was very difficult to archive or refer back to conversations. If a conversation tree had happened more than a week or more prior it was almost better to start the discussion up again than to try to go through and find the history.

Likelihood to recommend: 3/10

A Great Means to an End

Reviewed 2018-11-24

Yammer has been so amazing at allowing the freelance workforce to come together and really discuss current issues and information about the work. Otherwise, we'd all be so isolated and unable to work together to enhance the finished product of transcripts. That information share is so, so important to not only get the best work to the client, but also to learn more and advance individually in the field. It links me to fellow transcriptionists and gives the human contact that makes up a huge portion of actually being to tolerate long hours of work. So thumbs-up, Yammer.

Pros
I use Yammer to link to fellow employees of Transcribeme. So far, Yammer has been extremely easy to navigate and I have not seen any glitches during my two years working with it. Yammer uses columns to organize your different feeds which helps with clarity. In a quick sweep of my feed, I can see the app directory, any new activity in all my groups, suggested managment or key team members to follow on Yammer, etc. It allows me to get live updates fast and easy so that I always know what is happening with the company I freelance transcribe for. I like that Yammer allows each company to tailor it's virtual work atmosphere to it's own needs. When I became a freelance transcriptionist, I was really worried about the isolation that comes with the online work. Yammer, though, seems to have completely changed that for me and the rest of the Transcribeme team, I think. Easy information share and very socially oriented, Yammer is a great app for the work-at-home crowd.

Cons
All the positives said, I think Yammer could work on it's design. Maybe it needs some modern touches and perhaps more social features. An amazing app that brings work-at-home people together could always do with more social features ie. a live-chat feature, customizable themes, more inviting interface because it's really important to catch the attention of freelancers so that they are more apt to frequent the site.

Katherine Perotti

Yammer Review

Reviewed 2019-06-17

Really enjoy using this tool!

Pros
My organization has been using this product for a few years now. It's a great communication tool for the company as a whole and within each department. As part of the Learning & Development department, we use Yammer to communicate training results and also send out quizzes to each department to test their knowledge. The tool is really easy to use, it reminds me a lot of Facebook in that it has a feed that you can scroll through daily to get updates. You can also create different pages and make them public or private depending on your need, which I find really useful. My team has created their own page and made it private. We use it to recognize people within the department on achievements, our manager sends out monthly stats and we also use it communicate information to each other. I really like the GIF feature, it definitely brings the humor to some situations!

Cons
It is sometimes hard to keep up with everything going on, especially if you are a member of many groups/pages. And if you put your notifications on so you get an email every time something is posted, it can be overwhelming at times.

Joshua Melder

A Unique Blend of Social and Business Collaboration Platform

Reviewed 2019-04-10

I think my overall experience with Yammer is functional - yet, under-utilized. It provides and interesting social space within the hustle and bustle of a business world. I think some organizations can pull this integration off - but it is difficult. Yammer is built in a way that should increase collaboration and alleviate location based barriers for working teams. However, Yammer can fall into the potential pitfall of diving too far into a social trends over creating cross-functional teams. Therefore, in the end, I see a lot of promise in the tool - with quite of bit work left to go.

Pros
Yammer does a really nice job of offering a social platform for workers to interact with other across the company. I work in a large organization and Yammer is a tool that I use to interact with my business cohort across the country. I have really enjoyed the opportunity to add individuals to your connections, find like-minded groups, and share documents for others to review. I have tried using Yammer for various uses and have largely found it beneficial for keeping up with co-workers in off-site locations.

Cons
I think Yammer can fall a little too far into the social category for a business. I have often felt like the platform veers too far into a social media tool rather than a business collaboration platform. The user experience feels very similar to Facebook and often is difficult to differentiate it from other social platforms. I have had other experiences with other business tools that seems to pull this off a bit better than Yammer. From my experience, other business professionals realize this and stay away.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Darrus Long

Specialty specific physician message board

Reviewed 2018-07-24
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
Provides an easy to use platform for communication and sharing. The relatively limited feature set keeps interacting with Yammer a straight forward experience. For our purposes Yammer provides a great substitute for the "Doctor's Lounge" that our physicians miss since we are a much larger organization than just a few years ago. Physicians can, in physician only environments, discuss patient cases and ask for advice and referrals to other specialists from a much larger community of their peers than are available at their physical location.

Cons
Because Yammer does not seem to have all the same connections to our AD database as other applications in Office 365 getting everyone onto the platform can be challenging. Creating and managing groups can be daunting as the platform is open. Controlling the types of communication on the platform can also be difficult and channel moderators have to stay vigilant. This does mean that the platform is creating new work for those staff chosen as channel moderators, and depending on adoption and usage this can be a significant commitment of time on a regular basis.

Tawanda Sibanda

Team collaboration enabler offering endless possibilities

Reviewed 2019-09-30

It was so confusing at first and I was nearly tempted to quit and unsubscribe, However, overtime I got the hang of it and my team appreciate it

Pros
I like that it is simplified and its quiet easy to use even for the newbies. The tiling of feeds according to subject and relevance makes it easier to get the best out of. Ideas flow unabated and team members can quickly share productive information.

Cons
I would like to see Yammer filtering the messages and feeds posted so that only relevant information is retained for future reference

Steve Roush

It's a great program to use for a virtual office!

Reviewed 2018-07-30

Great benefits, it's a wonderful virtual office

Pros
Yammer is a terrific way to communicate with people in your company when you don't have a traditional office setting, where employees work from different areas. You can have conversations and get up with people immediately, plus have various "buckets" to divide up work tasks, or have different networks for different departments. Uploaded and downloading is easy, and it's a repository for valuable files. To have a platform where everyone can be on the same page is invaluable. And with smart phones, pushes can allow one to be notified immediately of any update or conversation. Has similar feature to Facebook, so it's easy to learn. Again, a great virtual office!

Cons
Honestly, there are very few cons, sometimes it won't let you upload or download items, but that is a rare occasion. Sometimes the search isn't reliable.

Oluwakorede Daramola

Multi Collaboration tool for Business and Social Purposes!

Reviewed 2019-05-30

When it comes to corporate collaboration and communication, yammer has proved to be an effective tool. In terms of having useful talks, chats and meetings with my team members, yammer has been of great help, in terms of cost, i didn't have to pay any substantial amount to get it installed/setup, customer support is also great.

Pros
Yammer is an appropriate tool for collaboration between staff/colleagues in an Organization, it has great customization features which can be tailored to suit the needs of any Organization, and it also supports integration with a wide range of products.

Cons
There is the need for addition of features found on other social platforms to Yammer, this will give yanner a chance to ace out its competitors, I also think it works more like a coporate tool than a social tool. Yammer is also strict with its policy against ads from 3rd parties.

Deepak Mishra

Fabulous product for connecting people across the organization

Reviewed 2019-03-26

Overall I am quite satisfied with Yammer, I get upto date notifications on what is going on in the company and I can reach people in different timezones quite conviniently through mobile apps.

Pros
1. Works well with Microsoft sharepoint and in general Microsoft platforms (Office 365). 2. It has a great facility of creating groups and share contents like documents, images and videos. 3. We can get notification for feeds across company regarding promotions, appreciations and milestones across group or company. 4. Specially in terms of events its quite useful to collaborate, organize and gather people from different fields or demographics accross organization. 5. It is available for mobiles too, across various Os like Andriod and IOS

Cons
There nothing such issue, in terms of usability across organization i have observed the below points 1. Sometimes many notifications can be annoying 2. In case of large conversation we might get off topic or lose track of topic. i wont consider this as a disadvantage of software to be honest, if we have proper workflow it will be very useful.

Fernando de Oliveira Melo

Its a good content sharing tool

Used occasionally for 2+ years
Reviewed 2018-09-14

I'm not using Yammer for a long period now, but when I did, I liked it. It has a great potential to be a content manager and a great company social media tool (communication channel).

Pros
Yammer is a complementary tool for sharing information, tutorials and documents inside an intranet. It can complement SharePoint's content management experience for a company. You can create a profile there and interact to other employees in a "social media" like tool. It has many features to create a blog, a tutorial, a wiki and many other things that can help your company to not lose knowledge as the teams keeps changing. New employees can find information and get a smaller learning curve by reading articles that more experienced people may have written on daily tasks or difficult problems that may arise.

Cons
I guess its adhesion was too low. In my company many people just don't like to use it because they don't know what is it exactly. It's such a great tool but looks like it was left aside. Maybe Microsoft could do a little marketing to help it grow and be more known by people all around the world. Maybe Microsoft Teams is more important to they...

Anonymous

Yammer allows us a very dynamic and colaborative communication

Reviewed 2018-08-06

I like it a lot, we've managed to get the people really involved in sharing what they're doing, problems they face, solutions they implement, their personal and team accomplishments.

Pros
First of all, its included with no additional cost on our Microsoft Ofice 365 subscriptions, so no additional expenses. It's very intuitive, nobody needs to be taught how to use it. It has a very simple feature set allowing us to improve our internal collaboration. Thre's now no excuse for not knowing what's happening in the Company. We can easily do simple polls and congratulate our colleagues for any personal o professional accomplishment or event.

Cons
Of course, everyone expected it to be a fully functional private facebook, which is not the case, there are a million Faceboo features that don't exist in Yammer, and we don't think we need them at all. If only, a better interface for uploading bunches of pictures and organize them in albums, since right now we upload only selected pictures one at a time. Or we share links to sharepoint paths.

Great Software for File Sharing and Communicating Across Company

Reviewed 2019-04-02

This has been a great way to connect with fellow company members worldwide. I started using this as an intern in a group of all USA interns, and now am able to connect with other employees in my business line as a full-time employee. I think this is a great platform to connect company members are provide a platform for engagement across the firm.

Pros
I like that Yammer is set up almost like a social media platform. It allows you to easily communicate with various groups/ people across a company, with the ability to share files, collaborate on documents, spread ideas, etc. This is great for a company like mine, with over 80,000 employees worldwide, and allows you to join groups with other employees by region, business line, title, etc.

Cons
With the document sharing feature, it can be difficult to search for specific files. I think the organization of posts/ files is a little messy and it would be nice to be able to go to a specific "Shared Files" section to search for things, point blank. It can also be a little overwhelming searching feeds when you are in groups/ pages with large numbers of individuals.

Helen Roush

Great virtual office. Our company uses Yammer and it is highly effective. I would recommend Yammer.

Reviewed 2018-04-19

File sharing, communication, collaboration, organization. It is a terrific virtual office tool that I highly recommend.

Pros
It is very easy to use, uploading files is easy. There is a Yammer app for your smartphone and you can receive pushes to email as well as the Yammer app so you always stay up-to-date. It allows to set up different networks and groups for different things through your organization. It is a great tool to communicate and stay organized.

Cons
There is nothing that I dislike about Yammer. It has so many wonderful benefits. I highly recommend this as a virtual office. It is low cost and for those that work remote, it is a great communication tool.

Pretty good collaboration tool

Used occasionally for 2+ years
Reviewed 2018-12-14

Yammer's value is felt the more its used by teams. If leadership doesn't consistently follow up to ensure employees are using it Yammer will be disappointing.

Pros
My company used Yammer to help employees collaborate better. Our older employees didn't make much use of the system but the potential of Yammer is great for engaged employees. The social nature of the product matches up well with our millennial workforce. Its essentially a business version of Facebook. Making work groups to streamline communication and give shout outs is easy and fun.

Cons
If you workforce isn't active on social media or appreciate those means of communication it might be a tough sell to get them on this system. Either way, implementing Yammer will take a consistent effort in campaigning for its usefulness if your workplace isn't used to this type of system. Yammer could also do better by allowing for more customization or branding by the employer to make it seem like an internal system. I have no complaints about the software itself.

Yammer social network

Reviewed 2019-08-19

I use Yammer every day for collaboration with my colleagues.

Pros
1. It works pretty fast. Usually Microsoft products are slow but not Yammer. 2. It includes many features you can find in other social networks. 3. It works with different operation systems (I use it with Windows only).

Cons
1. Wiki pages stopped working a few times. I don't know why. 2. UI is pretty old. I think it should be updated.

Anonymous

A professional social network in a corporate setting

Reviewed 2019-05-28

Pros
It is easier to use and it limits the people within our network. Yammer works like a filter where we can focus on what is happening within the company. It is also a good database and tool to learn from other business units within a large corporation with various cultures, locations and departments.

Cons
There is limited (or I would say, almost no) information about the person. For example, if I want to know more about a person, for example their education, professional history, skills and credentials, most of the times I cannot find this information on that colleague's personal page.