ClassDojo

Classroom and communication management software

ClassDojo Reviews

Pros

As a working parent I want to be connected to my children as best I can and this helps me do just that.

Laura B.

Class Dojo is a FUN, FREE, and SUPERB tool that provides easy behavior tracking for students.

Kristen L.

They love that they can customize their character, and they get excited to track their points and earn rewards. I love that you can customize the skills to meet the needs of your students.

STEPHANIE G.

Cons

If a child is a bully or behaves negatively due to certain factors such as abuse I could see this software possibly causing problems.

Kathi S.

Students lack of wireless at home so they are unable to interact from home at times. Most parents at least have a smartphone.

Jessica D.

I dislike that in the app there is no option to delete old messages. I see my inbox as a little trashy.

Nadricka H.

Excellent, student-friendly classroom management tracker

Transcript

Tyler S.: My name is Tyler. I am an associate principal at a high school. I would give ClassDojo a four...

website

Transcript

Shonyrecca: Hi. My name is Shonyrecca. I am a teacher aid and I give ClassDojo five stars. For more reviews...

Simple to integrate, powerful to use!

Positively rewarding and motivating students

Pros

Class Dojo is like a teacher's digital classroom management assistant! There's lots to love! - First, it's free. Who doesn't like free? - Next, it's extremely user-friendly. Within 15 minutes you can set-up and learn to navigate the features and layout. In just 5 more minutes, you can roll it out to your classroom. Teacher's are already lacking time, and the simplicity of this platform is...

Cons

This is not a con to ClassDojo, but just an observation - ClassDojo will not solve all of your classroom management issues. It is not a quick, easy fix, so don't view it that way. You have to carefully consider usage if you want this to be a main ingredient in your classroom. In that train of thought, it could cause students to act even more negatively because they're now able to gain a bigger audience and receive more attention. Once again, this is not a ClassDojo problem, I just want future users to be aware.

Mejor que classroom para Pre escolar y primaria

He apoyado a varios colegios desde que inicio la pandemia en la utilización de Class Dojo, los maestros que no querían hacer un esfuerzo por aprender otra plataforma se inclinaban por Classroom, por ser lo más cómodo para ellos, sin embargo al final de cuentas, los papás experimentaban descontento por qué al término del día, eran ellos los que terminaban tomado fotos de los trabajos de sus hijos,...

Pros

Es extremadamente atractivo para los niños. Involucras a los papás de forma voluntaria. Al dejar actividades o tareas los niños en la misma tarea pueden responder sin necesidad de que los papás tengan que hacer malabares para entregar, tomar fotos, subirlas y enviarlas a los maestros. Facilita la interacción entre el maestro, el alumno y los papás. Los papás agradecen al final que no pierden tiempo asistiendo a sus hijos en la entrega de tareas o trabajos, y lo aprovechas en sus labores.

Cons

A veces cuesta un poco de trabajo que una personas: maestro o tutor empiece a utilizar Class dojo. Y algunos papás son perezosos para aprender algo nuevo.

Loyal ClassDojo User!

I love it!

Pros

I’ve used Class Dojo since 2015 and I don’t imagine getting rid of it anytime soon! It is basically my class Instagram page but is safe to protect my students. I use it everyday to communicate with parents, post class photos, and utilize for whole class management. Class Dojo also saved me when we transitioned to distance learning in 2020. Students used the portfolio feature to turn in classwork. I love this app!

Cons

I wish parents could sign up for events using class dojo. That would prevent me from going through sign up genius too create parent teacher conference signups. I also wish class dojo would offer rewards like class tag. I almost switched to class tag because of this but decided to keep class dojo.

Class Dojo - Review from a Parent

Overall, this software has helped tremendously to stay in contact with teachers and school admin staff without relying on personal email accounts.

Pros

Class Dojo allows you to stay connected between teachers and your students. As long as teachers use it, it provides constant communication that is easily accessible. With multiple students, it consolidates all the messages into one area and allows for private messages to each teacher. If you have multiple students, and the school sends out a mass message, you only get the message once which I really like. It also allows you to upload documents to your child's portfolio for the teacher to view.

Cons

If you have multiple students, the private messaging can be a little hectic especially if a specials teacher emails you. That specials teacher might also have your other children, so it is necessary to figure out what student they are messaging you about. It can be confusing and takes a minute to figure it out.

ClassDojo is a great tool to use in the classroom!

I really like using ClassDojo in my classroom as a way to stay connected to my parents and families. It is very convenient that you can print reports right from the website so the parents can see their child's week overall, along with real time communication on the message board. I'm glad my colleague told me about this website. It has made behavior reports and communication with parents so much easier and convenient. Almost all the teachers in my school use ClassDojo for the same reason, especially with the pandemic and having to have a way to talk to parents when everyone was at home.

Pros

I like that parents have the capability to see how their child is doing in real time. The app is very useful and can be accessed from many different devices. The message feature is also nice because you can respond quickly to a message, not worrying about sending an email. The message board is also a great way to keep a record of conversations that can be referenced later.

Cons

I wish that there was a way to search through the message board to find certain conversations instead of having to read through the whole feed. A key word search would be nice to pinpoint the conversation you are trying to recall. Another feature that would be nice is if there was another way to connect with parents. Right now you can print the codes or send a text to the parent. It would be nice for there to be an option for an automated call to go out to the parents as well reminding them to sign up for their child or telling them there is an important message for them to see.

A smart technology

It is time-relatable and user-friendly software. Therefore, I highly recommend using this software specifically the parents.

Pros

It is the best software nowadays to monitor the performance of a child perfectly. The teachers can interact and monitor how the students are performing in their activities. Even, the parent's interaction with children can be monitored. The teacher can leave any information to the board and the parents can also check the regular activities of classes. It is the smartest technology now the busy days for the parents who can't monitor their children physically but in ClassDojo

Cons

It is easy to perform and monitor because every parent can install it in their mobile. So it is the least inconvenient I hope

Kids Love It

ClassDojo is a great motivator and can be used to get students excited about just about any activity in or around the classroom.

Pros

Letting the kids know that they have an active part in earning class rewards is a great motivator. They especially love the characters and the sounds that are made when they are given points for their work ethic/empathy/bravery, etc.

Cons

The software is incredibly easy to use so I wouldn't change any of the functions for users, but I would like it to be a more closed system.

Great Classroom Management Tool

Overall Dojo was a great management tool and way to communicate.

Pros

I like that you can manage a lot of things in a classroom with this software. You can manage behavior, time, communicating with parents and more.

Cons

You have to be careful about how you use it. Don't let parents get carried away on the messages and don't let kids get worked up about the points.

Great parent communication tool!

Overall, it is a great tool for parents to check in on their child's school experience, and see what good or bad behavior they've exhibited!

Pros

I love how easy it is for teachers to communicate with parents. I like that ClassDojo allows one teacher to make a digital announcement to the whole school at once, or for a parent to have a one-on-one conversation with their child's teacher. I like the behavior management portion of it as well. My kids stay on task when they know there's a dojo point at stake!

Cons

It can be hard to figure out how to attach videos. And the app interface isn't as easy to use as the web site.

Class Dojo: a great way to keep in touch with your students

I think that overall, it is a great platform for communication, both general and private. Parents can be updated and have their finger on the pulse of what is happening in their child's classroom.

Pros

I like that this software provides a way for me to communicate with parents of my students. I am able to do this in a way that is easy to track and easy to interact with.

Cons

I find that some parents get overwhelmed by the amount of messages from the Class Dojo platform. Especially if multiple teachers are using it for communication.

Positive behavior incentive program

Class Dojo has simplified my teaching and behavior program. My students are motivated to change their monsters by earning a given number of points. No more tangible treasure goody chests etc. My parents love the ability to see how their child is doing and so many positives during the day. Class dojo "paints a picture of their child's day" and they are more supportive. Even when a student has a tough day (with some red poor choice points), they always have areas where they earn positive points.

Pros

Class dojo allows teachers to reward individual students (groups or whole class) in a positive way, using points for good choices (e.g. stays on task, works cooperatively, shows kindness) as well as poor choices (e.g. playing during lessons, poor behavior in music class). Teachers can determine what good behaviors/habits they would like their students to demonstrate and set point goals for students...

Cons

Class dojo does need to add more "pictoral" icon (e.g. exercise, specials - Spanish, computer... ) - these are icons that students see when the point is awarded. I try to use icons that are close to the behavior that I want students to model but I often have to repeat icons. I encourage my students to participate in exercise/brain breaks every day so I currently use a "mountain icon". Students who show leadership choices see a "badge".

Good app, but not ideal for high school

This app is very cute, easy to set up, and with some time, very customizable. And it helped with formative assessments. But, ultimately, I stopped using it and went back to just using index cards. However, I think that I'm not the target for this app and that teachers of younger students would love it!

Pros

This app was recommended to me to help with class participation in the classes I teach. I wanted to be able to keep track of what students were accomplishing in real time. Some examples of things I wanted to track were answering a question correctly, answering a question incorrectly but persisting to get the right answer, helping another student, or asking an insightful question. Basically, I wanted to use this to help with formative assessments in my classes. I felt like documenting these thing in real time would give me data that would help me teach better, identify issues that students had frequently, and report information to parents or administrators if something came up.

Cons

I used it for several years, and it was OK. Setting up the categories that I wanted to keep track of took some time but it wasn't too hard. And, I was able to copy categories among classes. I also found it someone easy to set up classes. But actually using it wasn't fast enough for me. I had to click 3-4 times to document one thing. I thought it would be quicker. I can see younger students finding...

ClassDojo is the Facebook of the Classroom

Overall, I enjoy this software very much. It’s improved communication for sure between myself and the parents of my students. It’s easy to use, easy to add new student(s), and easy to award good behavior with points and give visual consequences for poor behavior, which the parent can also see and track. I also appreciate that I can reach ClassDojo and all its perks on the computer, tablet, and even a smartphone. This program is wonderfully versatile and allows me to do much more than notes home and the occasional conference can do.

Pros

Oh there’s so much this software can do and so much GOOD it can do. I will focus, however, on my favorite amenities as that is the prompt for this section. First (and the most important for me) is that I can use this program as a personalized classroom Facebook. To clarify, I can message parents in real time about their child’s progress. I can send pictures and written updates of good work and proof...

Cons

I don’t actually have a con with the mechanics of the program or the amenities it provides, but one part my students may not be overly fond of is that if I want to show one student how many points they have earned or how many offenses they have made, there is no privacy feature, so that one student can see the points of all their classmates. It’s often too big of a secret to keep. A student with less points then their classmates may get a bit crestfallen at having fallen behind while the student far ahead of their peers gets distracted with gloating.

Great Tool for Entire School Staff

It has helped behavior improve in my classroom tremendously. Students know that if I give or take a point, their teacher knows immediately. It's also a great way to communicate easily with parents. Most parents have a mobile phone and they tend to check their phones frequently. It is faster than email.

Pros

I like that students/classes can be shared with other teachers. If a student does well in Art or has an issue in Music, that teacher can click on Dojo and either give or take away Dojo points from the student. You don't have to wait until the student returns to the classroom and try to find time to talk to the teacher about the issue. It is super quick and easy to use. Bring your ClassDojo up on a...

Cons

Sometimes it is a little tricky to set up the sharing of a classroom with other teachers. It would be nice to have more of a step by step set of directions to go along with Class Dojo. The directions are included, but it would be helpful if they were more concise and step by step and addressed each area.

Excellent parent/teacher communication tool

Classdojo helps my kids' parents feel connected to our class in spite of everyone's busy scheduals, which has opened up lines of communication that wouldn't have had the chance to develop as easily otherwise. Classdojo has made my life, and theirs, much more hassle free. I love Classdojo, and so do the parents!

Pros

Classdojo helps me communicate more effectively with parents that I don't see often, and even the ones I do! It's set up like a social media site, making it easy and accessible to all parents. Via the app or the website, they can private message me. When this happens it will give me a notification on my phone, for exame "Joe will be arriving late today due to a doctor's appointment", and gives me the...

Cons

Once I printed out invitations for the class at the beginning of the year it was difficult to find where to print out new invitations for the two new students I got later in the year. Eventually I just sent the parents a link to accept via their email, which worked as well.

ClassDojo in the Classroom

ClassDojo is an essential component to any teaching classroom, especially with the diversity of learners and the uniqueness of culture every student brings. It provides a crucial incentive for students to be at their best.

Pros

ClassDojo is a must have for creating a culture of respect, accountability to parents and incentives for students to perform at their optimal level. Fun and easy to use, students love the interactive Dojo points they earn when they perform. The software is free to use and customizable. It is not only for educators. It can be used in multiple settings. Points for certain behaviors can be set. The software can be used on laptops, tablets and even phones. The software creatively allows for students to choose their monster, giving them ownership. It allows the user to inform parents of how students are doing and even tells you if the parents have opened the message.

Cons

The only problem that I encountered was that it minimized the actual conversations that I had with parents in person. Like any software, the user must be extra careful this does not replace parents coming and talking with the teacher. Many parents thought ClassDojo replaced the annual parent conferences. I had to let them know that this is an essential tool but does not replace us meeting together.

Great communication tool for parents and school

Overall, it's a good app and can cut away may phone calls to teachers , which definitely a plus for teachers themselves. The download feature should be open and leave it with the school to decide to allow download or not or decide to post pictures with other kids or not.

Pros

- Very easy to use.. great way to communicate between teachers and parents - Parents would love that teachers can post their kids pictures using the applications - the points systems is especially good for lower grades students (unfortunately my kid's teachers just start using it in the beginning and never use since, maybe it's a troublesome system for teachers?) - A great way to send last minutes communications, such as school closures due to weather - good that they provide support for end users - parents as well. They did reply within 24 hours

Cons

One thing I really DON"T like is the lack of way to download the pictures posted. This is restricted on the app level. I actually opened a ticket with ClassDojo and they did replay and told me this was by design due to privacy issue (some other students might not like it) However, I think the privacy concern should leave it with the teachers/schools. For example, my kid school has a strict policy...

You can't put a price on your children's education

Overall I love the fact that my children at day care or in school are shown to me at various points in the day. Classdojo does not I believe have a live stream availability but that is for the best as I would spend too much time on the live stream and not enough time on my work which is the main reason to have your school or day care utilize the classdojo app or software. I would recommend this app and software as you can't put a price on your child's education.

Pros

As a parent you need to save all the money you can and a free version of classdojo.com or through the app is right up everyone's alley. But even if they charged parents a dollar per month it would be worth it. A teacher at anytime could load a video or photo of the children at school to let you know they're happy and safe.

Cons

Like all software there are some issues and the only issue I can across was through the app. Sometimes videos won't have sound but I attribute that to one of three reasons. The only reason that can be blame on classdojo is the coding or some error took place and I couldn't hear the sound. The other two times was that my phone was too old, (First generation SE iPhone)and the app was not supported or the teacher posted the video purposely without sound. The video sound error is rare enough that it won't matter in the long run.

Classroom Life Saver

Overall, kids love DoJo. It's easy, quick, and effective. It's a life saver with parent communication if connected, for tracking through the reports, and for quick feedback to the kids!

Pros

I love that Dojo creates 'monster' icons for each student to represent them. It's easy to give students 'points' for expected behaviors or behaviors that go above and beyond. I also enjoy that I can give a whole class a point for something. It's easy to take away points for unexpected behaviors as well. There is a great report that attaches to each students' day as well with what they earned or lost...

Cons

I truly don't have anything I dislike about Dojo. It's easy, free, and quick to use! I have nothing to recommend for changes.

The greatest positive reinforcement for students

Pros

ClassDojo's software is user friendly for teachers. In my classroom, it is used as incentive for positive behaviors. I use it heavily when students are off task or loud, by giving other students Dojo points for being on task or quiet. It is reinforcement of others with tons of verbal recognition to desired behaviors in hopes to change the undesired behaviors from other students. Rarely do I use the...

Cons

My least favorite aspect is not concerning software, but that some parents would like photos of the class while others have declined permission to have their student's picture taken. It makes it rough trying to figure out who can be in a picture and who cannot. I enjoy talking with parents with live time updates on their student's behaviors, but I struggle with the picture aspect.

Positive Family-School Relationships/Communication

Class Dojo has been an important part of helping my school build positive relationships with our families. I love the ease of use, and appreciate how the complies always looking g to improve. They also have short videos that I show my class to help with Social Emotional Learning. Best of all, it’s FREE!!!

Pros

Class Dojo has been the easiest, fastest, and most positive way for teachers & admin to communicate with families. It’s easily accessible on everyone’s phone, messages can be sent back & forth, safely, students can create portfolios, send/receive assignments, & emergency notifications were easily & quickly sent to all, in seconds! Teachers are also able to send photos of student work, as well as award points for positive behaviors. Class Dojo is also easily accessible on a computer, if needed.

Cons

I would love to be able to add videos that have previously been recorded, but I’m sure that is coming soon.

Great app for school community communication

Fantastic tool that has lots of cool classroom displays and character education resources. Students are motivated when this is used by all teachers and it has greatly improved Teacher-Parent communication.

Pros

This FREE app enables teachers to communicate with parents about their child's behaviour, and classroom activities, school information, events, homework. For students they can receive (or lose) points according to teacher set criteria for behaviour and dersired skills/qualitities. When used as part of elearning the student portfolio allow students to upload pics and their work. Teachers can share videos, pictures, (schedule or directly send) individual or class messages for students and parents. Students can have their own accounts. We use the behaviour points to give awards and the behaviour reports are issued along with the school's academic reports. Administrators can post whole school posts.

Cons

It would be great if the School Story where administrators can post would allow video postings - not only messages, docs and/or a picture. The main administrator would benefit from being able to access the conversations between parents and teachers.

Great communication tool and reward system!

It's a great way to communicate with teachers, parents and school administration. I get quick responses to questions, notifications on events, even important messages when school is closing for snow. I enjoy seeing my children in pictures that teachers take and post. Being able to check in on my child's behavior is important, good and bad. Class Dojo lets me see all these things and keeps me in direct communication with the school.

Pros

I can message teachers/parents and get an immediate response. I send and receive notifications about school events and activities. Teachers can post pictures of the students directly to parents when they are working on school activities. It's great to "see" what is going on in the classroom. The Dojo points is a great way to keep track of good behavior and behavior that needs work. No more sending notes home that you home the parent/teacher will see and read. You know they are getting the message with Class Dojo. The kids love to watch their Dojo points add up to earn rewards. It is not fun to see them lose points for bad behavior, but this helps them learn there are consequences to their actions.

Cons

As a parent, I cannot see their Dojo points. I see how they earn the points and how many points each behavior is worth. So many times my kids say, "Look at how many points I have now!" They are so proud of their work, but I cannot see it :(

Used Class Dojo in middle school classes for three years.

Pros

I know this tool is generally marketed for elementary classes and teachers, but I heard about it and thought I'd give it a try. I loved it! And the students (7th graders) responded well. So what are my favorite features? First, it's easy to use and set up in a class. You can literally roll it out to your class in 3 minutes. There is not a lot of behind the scenes work that goes into it. Second, it...

Classdojo

I have loved class dojo and used it for 7 years now! It gets better every year! I’d recommend it and do to my colleagues!

Pros

I love the connection to parents and the portfolios for students to use. This is an amazing app for teachers. I love the positive behavior system. It has the consequence system built in too, but is so focused on the positive and keeps parents connected! I love the messaging system to communicate with parents as well as the storyboard to post pictures with parents.

Cons

I did not like the notifications for the portfolio being removed from access on the app after approval. They were on the app after approval in the story, so you could go and like and comment on them after approving them. You can no longer do this. I also do no like that customer support did not communicate with me after contacting them about this problem. I use this feature daily and it’s now a struggle to use. Someone posted they dealt with the inquiry. They did not. I posted dissatisfied and reposted a question and still have not received help. Not sure what caused the change with this, usually customer service in the past has been great.