Bill.com Reviews

Bill.com

Bill.com makes business payments simple, fast, and secure

4.18/5 (316 reviews)

Pros
  • I love bill.com so far it has been a lifesaver for our organization's business transactions even when on holiday.Moses W.Read the full review
  • Love that it can be linked with Quickbooks. Also love that I will soon be able to accept international payments which is a plus for my company.Tamina Shimone G.Read the full review
  • I love the ease of using and setting up this system to ensure timely payments for myself from other sponsors and companies.Melissa C.Read the full review
Cons
  • Setting up multiple bank accounts is terrible, TERRIBLE. If you setup bills in QBO first and it syncs to bill.com it is very time consuming to fix.Rachel B.Read the full review
  • They made several mistakes and I asked to speak to someone above it’s our ceo and he isn’t available. They do not car about their customers and they do not own up about making mistakes.Adam B.Read the full review
  • There is no way to contact a human at their company with a problem. For instance, when changing away from an on-demand back off support company, our account was suspended and I couldn't get into it.Diane C.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Barbara Salazar

Bill.com is my 1st choice for efficient and fully automated AP system!

Reviewed 2019-03-06

We are a global company with 1,300+ people in US and internationally. We use Bill.com for all our Accounts Payable in US and internationally. We totally automated Accounts Payable using Bill.com and we have very pleasant positive experience.

Pros
My company is a global company with US head quarters and multiple international locations. In Bill.com, the billing and payment is totally automated. Approval process is excellent. As a manager, I get regular emails for bill approval. I can approve, disapprove, make comments and they go to user right away. The system is especially useful for companies with international locations and multiple US locations like my company. With Bill.com, all accounts payable is centralized and automated. We also managed to save a lot of staff costs with Bill.com. As AP is automated, we use finance staff from Eastern European locations to process AP using Bill.com. This is significant cost savings. First of all, with Bill.com the AP process and related approval is totally automated which minimizes staff costs. We are able to use finance staff for AP where wages are 3-5 times lower than US. Overall, this is a great system and my choice # 1 for AP automation!

Cons
Bill.com is a great system. I really don't think of any disadvantages. I just encourage Bill.com to develop and process more with newest financial innovations like automation and machine learning.

Amanda Moon

Great for receivables or payables

Reviewed 2020-02-06

Our bookkeepers can enter the bills, the manager can approve them, and the CFO can make the payments. The segregation of duties helps protect the company. Simple to use. Easy to see when a payment will arrive and when a check clears.

Pros
It makes it easy to have an audit trail for entering, approving, and paying bills. It also makes it easy for customers to send electronic payments for their invoices. Customizable user permissions.

Cons
When you invite a vendor or customer to use Bill.com, it requires them to give quite a bit of information in order to set up an account. Some are reluctant to do so.

Ivy Mouledoux

Fantastic AP Processing, with Some AR frustrations

Reviewed 2019-12-03

Aside from a few minor irritations regarding syncing with Quickbooks and document photo cropping on the iOS app, Bill.com has been an amazing addition to our workflow. Things are easier on the operations and accounting side, and our record keeping and bill payments are more timely and more accurate. This software easily pays for itself.

Pros
We use this program in concert with a remotely hosted instance of Quickbooks Enterprise Desktop edition. My team can forward bills and upload receipts as they come in, and sit down once a week to process them all through to create bills that appear in Quickbooks. This has not only improved the timliness of our AP data, but it's also increased the accuracy of account and job allocations. We've also lowered our monthly CPA bills by about 40% because the reconciliations are much smoother. The text recognition works very well and saves alot of time. We use bill.com to pay 1099 contractors via a secure direct deposit, which has saved alot of time and effort mailing and hand-delivering checks.

Cons
I don't like that vendor credit memos cannot sync to Quickbooks. I don't like that edits to invoices created in Bill.com won't sync to Quickbooks. To work around this, our sales team always clones and deletes invoices when they need to edit them. However this wouldn't be an acceptable workaround if we actually used Bill.com to send the invoices to our customers. I don't like that the iOS app doesn't crop document uploads anymore. It used to do so.

Anonymous

New April 2019 Interface HORRIBLE!

Reviewed 2019-04-29

My company and I have used Bill.com for several years and it was so easy to use and made our vendor payments a breeze, but now it’s just absolutely awful. My entire finance staff hates the new interface. Nothing is streamlined at all and the way it’s set up now goes against common sense because the flow is just terrible. The bills and the payments section are broken out into 2 different tabs which is so inefficient because you can no longer take a quick glance as to which bill matches what payment without making several clicks to get this info. Also, I can’t see if a vendor check or ePayment has cleared at a glance in the payment tab since I have to click open the actual payment for this info now. There’s so much wasted space where the vendor details used to be when you open a vendor profile. There are just 3 unhelpful lines of vendor info and 90% empty white space which takes up half my viewing screen. When I edit the vendor details, the country of residence is at a section on top instead of being grouped with the address section. When I try to set a vendor up for ePayment, I no longer have the option of finding them by their name+email, now it’s only by their Vendor display name. We work with a lot of vendors where the ‘pay to’ is an agency so we aren’t able to easily connect a vendor for ePayment. I’m going to have my company move to something else since ruined user experience. I don’t know who the developed this new interface, but it certainly wasn’t an accountant.

Pros
I used to think Bill.com was amazing and would have given it a 5 out of 5 just a month ago. However, with the new interface update that rolled out in April 2019 I’m downgrading my rating to 1 out of 5. See my review below.

Cons
The new interface is awful and not efficient AT ALL. See my review below.

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Charles Belleville

Worth every penny

Reviewed 2020-02-04

Our favorite SaaS product... and we use dozens. I would not work in a workplace without paperless AP processes.

Pros
Saves a huge amount of time managing AP. We've been on bill.com for 8+ years and I can't imagine running AP in compliance with our policies and procedures without it (or something similar).

Cons
Sync with external services can glitch if you're not careful. Cost can be expensive at highest tiers.

Small-Mid Cap Business AP and AR Automation

Reviewed 2019-12-17

Overall I would recommend using Bill.com to automate your AP and AR functions. It provides easy to use guides and the customer service is on point.

Pros
I use it every day to keep track of bills and to pinpoint what needs to be paid. I really like that there is AI built in the software.

Cons
I don't like how the software handles international bills. The UI is different between the United States and when we use our subsidiary account.

Laura Caraway

Reviewed 2020-03-03

From a user perspective it was very easy to use. Email your vendor invoice to the platform, log in to code and approve it. Or assign it to a different approver.

Pros
As a user, it was really easy to get invoices into Bill.com (just email them to the platform), and then easy to code and approve expenses. I would get an email whenever I had something new to approve. I was able to search vendors for old invoices when I was researching costs for a closed project.

Cons
Nothing, from my perspective it worked just fine and I did not have any issues with it at all. Quick and easy.

Business Practices and Customer Service make product AWFUL

Reviewed 2019-11-25

The WORST! Bill.com has done nothing but lie to me about their international payments. They lied about comparable exchange rates. They processed an international payment, showed it as "cleared" and then held it for several weeks forcing me to provide additional information on the payment. The vendor never received it and I have still not received the funds back over 2 weeks later. Be careful using their systems as they can hold your funds and really mess up your cash flow.

Pros
The product is good. It's what accountants need...that's it.

Cons
Having to deal with Bill.com customer service in any aspect.

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Jen Scharl

Helps keep our invoices and bills organized and paid on time

Reviewed 2019-08-06

Pros
Bill.com allows us to keep doing what we do, and not stress over the billing process. It streamlines and tracks everything for us.

Cons
The backend can get a little confusing, but for my purposes, it is fine

Ashleigh Easthorpe

Super straightforward once you get the hang of it!

Used monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2019-07-29

Pros
- Hosting more than one company under one user profile. - A simple overview of outstanding invoices upon login. - Option to see if an invoice was accepted and approved and if payment is coming in. - Option to make notes below invoices and tag team members.

Cons
- The learning curve is a little challenging in the beginning. - It's not the prettiest software, but it works!

Kelsie Kim

Bill.com for Account Payable

Reviewed 2019-02-20

This is a big help for Account Payable. You can track and manager all pay out in an one place. You can see approval, requestor, total amount, history, etc. Also, you can deny the pay out without exchanging tons of email to the requestor.

Pros
1. Can store all your independent contractors' information including the contract and W9. There is an attached file option. 2. Can approve via mobile 3. Can track a vendor's history, payout, approval 4. Can add as many approval as you want 5. So easy to use. Drag the paperwork and upload 6. Email notification of status, from approval to pay out 7. Can add multiple entities for one user. For example, I manage two organizations and with one log in, I can access both 8. Communicates with other accounting software

Cons
The preview window can be improved. There is a preview and another pop up to write an expense. Somehow it is confusing sometimes.

Louis Carrillo

Though a bit pricey , Bill.com offers a unique stand alone , automated website based accounts payable and recievable service and robust options for integration.

Reviewed 2018-05-01
Review Source: Software Advice

We as a company relished the idea of using a stand-alone website-based system to automate our accounts payable and receivable and found Bill.com. Bill.com is almost peerless as it offers convenient integration with Quickbooks online that we use regularly. We can now create invoices and have customers pay online, as well the ability to create particular ACH accounts which allow for direct payment into our account as opposed to a percentage of the transaction assessed so often by other companies offering similar services. Customer service access was difficult to help support our usage of some record keeping tools however in our final analysis if a company is just focusing on accounts payable and receivable and NOT a complete financial system, Bill.com fits the bill.

Pros
We absolutely loved the immediate integration with quick books online. Our company found the user interface extremely easy to understand and even easier to use with well written executed menus and graphs. Invoices are easy to compose and customers are afforded the ability to pay online which we found ultra convenient.

Cons
The cost structure we find a bit pricey for the more enterprise orientated company models. As a company wants to integrate with other systems like Intacct or Netsuite, prior membership is required.

Exceeds expectations

Reviewed 2018-06-15

Pros
EASY set up and integration with QuickBooks online. Very intuitive UI. HUGE time-saver. It used to take a full day to do a weekly check run. I can now accomplish it in an hour and a half, MAX. Probably faster if we used more of the features. Has the ability to pay vendors via ACH and is less than half the cost per transaction than a paper check.

Cons
The add on to automatically enter invoices, while a very big value and totally worth the extra expense, doesn't take into consideration the vendors terms set up in Bill.com. So if you have an invoice from a vendor that says due upon receipt, but the vendor profile in bill.com is Net 30, Bill.com defaults to due on receipt. An override setting would be helpful. Getting vendors set up on ACH/EFT is a little tough for tech challenged folks.

Jennifer Pierce Cook

Bill.com is THE BEST software for managing accounts payable!

Reviewed 2018-02-01

No mailing invoices/checks! The software prints the first page of the invoice on the bottom two stubs of the check. You can also pay your vendors electronically with a simple invite email AND the system emails your vendors to let them know payment is on the way!

Pros
I started using this software solely for its accounts payable function. You send your bills directly to the inbox, attach the document to the bill, then pay! You can even record bills paid outside of bill.com (credit card payments for example). You can also save vendor documents (contracts, W9s) within the vendor files. This software keeps us incredibly organized over multiple locations. HIGHLY recommend! (And it syncs seamlessly with QuickBooks!)

Cons
No cons! Great product! Keeps us organized and allows timely and effective bill payments to our vendors.

Anonymous

Good software for Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable functions.

Reviewed 2018-09-25

Great software that helped our company's AP dept go paperless.

Pros
Bill.com is very easy to use. Great platform to digitally store all invoices and go paperless. Audit trail captures all transactions and dates which reduces the possibility of fraud. You can create approval chains and add/remove approvers to different invoices. Their customer service is top-notch. Their live chat reps are very helpful. Has the ability to sync with many popular accounting software (NetSuite, Quickbooks, Intact).

Cons
Syncing issues with NetSuite do occur from time to time but their customer support is very helpful in rectifying them. They recently updated their user interface and although it is more visually appealing than before, it doesn't function any better.

Daniel Luthi

Quality AP processing

Reviewed 2019-01-24

Bill.com has saved us several hours a month with as we have streamlined our customer payment collections as well as AP approval processes.

Pros
It is quick and easy to forward emails with bill attachments to bill.com for AP processing. It is one of the features we love about it. Being able to set up rules that require different approvers based off of the amount of the bill makes it so much easier for our firm to get bills into the right hands.

Cons
Reporting is limited. Using this module for AP and AR on a daily basis, it would be nice to have some better reporting built within the system.

Hailley Field

Lets me manage multiple clients bills easily!

Reviewed 2018-01-19

Easier day at the office.

Pros
I like how clear everything is and how everything is interconnected. I also LOVE the customer service- the chat respondents are quick and almost always can help you right away, which makes such a huge difference when juggling multiple portfolios. I also love being able to easily keep all details regarding each invoice in a way that allows you to pull up reports right in the software. This is so useful.

Cons
It can be a little unclear exactly what the rules are regarding canceling transactions, especially when it comes to bills being sent in the mail vs. e-bills. A small reminder at the time of payment when an option is clicked would make a HUGE difference.

Kelly Schwaninger

Bill.com is a great way to get rid of having to write paper checks.

Reviewed 2017-12-28

Time saving.

Pros
I like that I can track when checks go out, if they've been cashed, and easily re-submit a check for repayment or for voiding. I like that I can invite anybody to pay via ePayment and they are in charge of entering their bank info in instead of me. I like that any paper checks that do go out, go out with a copy of the invoice you've uploaded into the system for ease of vendor tracking.

Cons
The refund or returned check feature doesn't always sync 100% properly with QBO (but 95% of the time it does).

Therese Jolson

Bill.com makes the ease of Accounts Payable online

Reviewed 2016-11-17

I have several vendors that use Bill.com as well as I have used online bill paying service for the past 10 years. I enjoy being able to travel, be on the road and have access to my bills. Bill payment process is very easy and customer support very easy

Pros
All bills for the year in one place. I use the app a lot. I am able to approve bills for my business from anywhere.

Cons
Being able to put some bills to not be viewed until they are needed to be paid versus popping up each month on the top of the bills.

Alex Burgan

Easy to use, simple, organized

Reviewed 2018-04-10

Pros
Helpful in keeping track of everything you've paid. Syncs easily with QB. Easy search features allows you to go back and view previously paid invoices. Fast payments. Tells you if payment is outstanding or not.

Cons
Sometimes can be a bit too simple. Would be nice to have some extra features. E.g. you can set up a recurring payment but you cannot edit any text that will appear on the check and it defaults with a date. Unable to add a contract number to a recurring payment.

Cheryl Wilson

Excellent A/P solution for small to medium-sized businesses

Reviewed 2018-04-11

Efficiency, ease of use and remote capabilities related to AP functions

Pros
Incredibly easy to use; I like that it easily syncs to QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online software

Cons
I don't have any complaints about the software. I use it for quite a few accounting clients and have always found that if I run into a snag, the customer support chat team at Bill.com is able to assist me. Admittedly, the issues I've had have all been user errors, rather than shortcomings related to the software.

Anonymous

Great product with a few flaws

Reviewed 2018-01-09

Love that they handle the payments for us!

Pros
It is easy to use for AP bill processing. I enjoy the fact that each client can have users login and code bills on their own, no pre-coding is required other than the vendor and amount. I like that you can search for all bills by vendor and see copies of checks. The audit trail is a great feature. Auditors do love it.

Cons
Although I love it and will use it still, I do struggle with a few things: 1) It takes all AP monies at one time instead of issuing checks that will clear the bank slowly, 2) It doesn't handle multi-entity perfectly 3) It is costly 4) the 1099 process is a bit more cumbersome than desired, 5) It requires manually adding approvers each time unless you setup rules based on amounts...no other rules options right now.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Denise Whittington

Bill.com Accounts Payable Review

Reviewed 2019-01-24

Bill.com has increased our productivity and accuracy, with very few issues.

Pros
The concept of having a digital copy of each bill/invoice/statement that you can open up at any time. This is exceptionally helpful during closing, if you need to verify something.

Cons
The fact that credits have to be posted in both bill.com and in your accounting software. It makes it double work when something needs to be credited off from a prior period.

Josue Hernandez

Bill.com is really simply and easy to use

Reviewed 2018-07-26

bill.com is one of the fastest and efficiante way to import data to quickbooks and we used it every day.

Pros
Bill.com is really simply and easy to use and it works really well with Quickbooks that I can import data with no issues and this happens every day and I am glad that this software helps me to do my job a lot more easy.

Cons
No issues with bill.com its one of the best software I have used to work with Quickbooks to import my data

Amy Price

Used to be a leader, falling behind

Reviewed 2018-02-13
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
The permissions are customizable, you can be very particular about how the QuickBooks sync happens, and the approval workflows are great. I appreciate being able to connect to Hubdoc, QBO, and Tallie, among other apps.

Cons
The customer service is awful. It used to be great, but now you’re lucky to get an email back at all. That is my biggest complaint. Coming in second is the other side of the customization piece: there are lots of ways to make things happen that you don’t want to happen. There are cheaper, simpler solutions out there for the less technologically initiated.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10